Official 2014-2015 Pre-interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnhoedack

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Almost time to get the party started this year! So where's everyone applying? How many are on your application list?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am doing 100 you know "IMG"

Reactions: 1 user
Here's mine so far. I plan to whittle it down a bit.

UCLA
UCSF
Stanford
U of Washington
OHSU
UCSD
UCLA
UC-Davis
Colorado-Denver
San Mateo

Yale
MGH/McLean
U Pitt
Cornell
Columbia
NYU

Emory
Vanderbilt
Duke
UNC
MUSC
Palmetto
UF
u Miami

U Michigan
Northwestern
U New Mexico
U of Illinois Chicago (UIC)
Johns hopkins

Members don't see this ad :)

UCLA
UCSF
Stanford
U of Washington
OHSU
UCSD
UCLA
UC-Davis
Colorado-Denver
San Mateo

Yale
MGH/McLean
U Pitt
Cornell
Columbia
NYU

Emory
Vanderbilt
Duke
UNC
MUSC
Palmetto
UF
u Miami

U Michigan
Northwestern
U New Mexico
Johns hopkins
Thats a pretty nice list

If you're a good candidate you probably need no more than 10.

UCLA
UCSF
Stanford
U of Washington
OHSU
UCSD
UCLA
UC-Davis
Colorado-Denver
San Mateo

Yale
MGH/McLean
U Pitt
Cornell
Columbia
NYU

Emory
Vanderbilt
Duke
UNC
MUSC
Palmetto
UF
u Miami

U Michigan
Northwestern
U New Mexico
Johns hopkins
I know I'm biased, but considering the theme coming across from your list, I don't know why WashU isn't on it.

Here's my current list, kind of in order. It's a bit long right now, hopefully only need the first 14 or so.

Emory University
University of California Los Angeles
University of California San Francisco
University of Texas Southwestern
Stanford
University of Pittsbourgh
Columbia

Baylor University
University of California San Diego
Yale
Harvard MGH/McLean
University of Pennsylvania
Mount Sinai
University of Washington

Cornell
Washington University
University of Texas Houston
University of Illinois at Chicago
New York University
Johns Hopskin

Duke University
Brown
Georgetown University
Medical University of South Carolina

Northwestern
University of Chicago
University of South Florida

I know I'm biased, but considering the theme coming across from your list, I don't know why WashU isn't on it.
Good catch, I was definitely considering WashU and hadn't noticed it wasn't on my list.

Are you guys for serious applying to that many programs? If you're a US student without red flags, there's no way you need to apply to that many places.

University of Colorado
Northwestern University
Medical University of South Carolina Program
University of Missouri at Kansas City
University of South Florida Morsani Program
Boston University
Indiana University
University of Arizona
Loyola
Rush
West Virginia University
University of Missouri-Columbia

:love:Psychiatry:biglove:

Here's my current list, kind of in order. It's a bit long right now, hopefully only need the first 14 or so.

Emory University
University of California Los Angeles
University of California San Francisco
University of Texas Southwestern
Stanford
University of Pittsbourgh
Columbia

Baylor University
University of California San Diego
Yale
Harvard MGH/McLean
University of Pennsylvania
Mount Sinai
University of Washington

Cornell
Washington University
University of Texas Houston
New York University
Johns Hopskin

Duke University
Brown
Georgetown University
Medical University of South Carolina

Northwestern
University of Chicago
University of South Florida

Maybe there is a big reason unknown to me about wanting to be in Houston, but UTMB, Texas A&M, and UTSW-Austin have all become more competitive than Baylor/UT-Houston in recent years in my opinion. I'd consider switching those.

Members don't see this ad :)

Maybe there is a big reason unknown to me about wanting to be in Houston, but UTMB, Texas A&M, and UTSW-Austin have all become more competitive than Baylor/UT-Houston in recent years in my opinion. I'd consider switching those..

Really? I am not so much into Houston as I am into research track programs - which is why Baylor is relatively high on the list. UT Houston is on the list mostly because of it is part of the large medical center.

Really? I am not so much into Houston as I am into research track programs - which is why Baylor is relatively high on the list. UT Houston is on the list mostly because of it is part of the large medical center. .

In Texas, I would recommend UTSW - Dallas as #1. The Houston programs do have some research, but the rotations may not leave you time to participate in research during PGY-1-2. Other programs that are less time intensive like A&M have access to VA data and Utmb with correctional data to likely run your own research. They will have less access to dabble in someone else's project, but greater availability to run your own project with oversight. Correctional research is a hot topic and would help a forensic fellowship cv if interested.

Are you guys for serious applying to that many programs? If you're a US student without red flags, there's no way you need to apply to that many places.
I'm planning on paring down my list down to about 20 but am having a tough time figuring out what programs to cut off.

I'm planning on paring down my list down to about 20 but am having a tough time figuring out what programs to cut off.

It's hard, and it's exciting to think of all the different places you could train. I'd focus on geography unless you're one of those people who truly doesn't care. Is there anything else that's particularly important to you in a program? If so, use that.

It's hard, and it's exciting to think of all the different places you could train. I'd focus on geography unless you're one of those people who truly doesn't care. Is there anything else that's particularly important to you in a program? If so, use that.

Also note that there exists a wide variety of philosophies among different psychiatry residency training programs, particularly among the ones you listed. Though it may be difficult as an emerging MS4, I would try to establish at least a preliminary idea of what kind of psychiatrist you want to be, through reading tests/basic science/clinical literature and further clinical rotations. Then you can exclude some programs based on what you do not want. For example, would you rather learn psychopathology in terms of neural networks or psychodynamics? Do you want to learn diagnosis by phenomenology? Do you want a program from which you can be recruited to a lucrative private practice situation or one that will prepare you for success in academia? Do you want a program in which you are expected to perform as a medicine intern during the medicine months with rigorous wards/ICU months, or would you prefer to have a more "relaxed" schedule in the affiliated VA/outpatient? Etc Etc Etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Then you can exclude some programs based on what you do not want. For example, would you rather learn psychopathology in terms of neural networks or psychodynamics? Do you want to learn diagnosis by phenomenology?

That seems an extreme way to frame a dichotomy - I would say its more a case of relative emphasis. I don't think programs can really meet ACGME requirements without discussing at least to some extent psychodynamic models of psychopathology. At what program are you going to learn psychopathology in terms of 'neural networks'?

"Do you want to learn diagnosis by phenomenology?" - Well I certainly hope so. I am not aware of an alternative?

That seems an extreme way to frame a dichotomy - I would say its more a case of relative emphasis. I don't think programs can really meet ACGME requirements without discussing at least to some extent psychodynamic models of psychopathology. At what program are you going to learn psychopathology in terms of 'neural networks'?

"Do you want to learn diagnosis by phenomenology?" - Well I certainly hope so. I am not aware of an alternative?

Obviously I was speaking in the hyperbole, as no program is exclusively one way or the other. But these differences were very important to me when it came time to make my rank list. And multiple programs at which I interviewed teach psychopathology in terms of brain structure and function, while this was not a point of emphasis for other programs. And by phenomenology, I was referring to the Hopkins Perspectives tradition.

Obviously I was speaking in the hyperbole, as no program is exclusively one way or the other. But these differences were very important to me when it came time to make my rank list. And multiple programs at which I interviewed teach psychopathology in terms of brain structure and function, while this was not a point of emphasis for other programs. And by phenomenology, I was referring to the Hopkins Perspectives tradition.

Sure, your basic point is very reasonable and helpful, but:
- 'brain structure and function' is not equal to 'neural networks'. You used the words 'neural networks' first time round which was what I was asking about :)
- 'phenomenology' is not equal to 'Hopkins Perspectives Tradition'. People sometimes get hung up about phenomenology when the word is used in the non-Husserlian sense, which is I think a bit unreasonable as it has grown to have a broader meaning. But it has never been a metonym for The Perspectives of Psychiatry tradition.

University of Colorado
Northwestern University
Boston University
Indiana University
University of Arizona
Loyola
Rush
West Virginia University

:love:Psychiatry:biglove:
Again, not sure why WashU isn't on your list. considering the geographic preferences and general program philosophy that comes across from there.

Sure, your basic point is very reasonable and helpful, but:
- 'brain structure and function' is not equal to 'neural networks'. You used the words 'neural networks' first time round which was what I was asking about :)
- 'phenomenology' is not equal to 'Hopkins Perspectives Tradition'. People sometimes get hung up about phenomenology when the word is used in the non-Husserlian sense, which is I think a bit unreasonable as it has grown to have a broader meaning. But it has never been a metonym for The Perspectives of Psychiatry tradition.

Good catches- thanks
1) I should have used "brain structure and function" initially, though at least 2 programs do include neural networks in their respective curricula
2) Definitely used the term glibly- But indeed they emphasize a phenomenologically based interview rather than one based on DSM nosology...

Again, not sure why WashU isn't on your list. considering the geographic preferences and general program philosophy that comes across from there.
Washington university is a great program I don't know whats the odds of them taking an IMG?

Does anyone know a good resource that explains the different teaching philosophies? And in terms of sorting through programs..I know I want to do some research but don't all programs offer at least some amount of it? Please excuse my ignorance. I do agree that it is important for me to envision what type of psychiatrist I want to be, I just don't know where to start really. I would like to have a better understanding before interviews. Thank you for all your help!

Last edited:
Does anyone know a good resource that explains the different teaching philosophies? And in terms of sorting through programs..I know I want to do some research but don't all programs offer at least some amount of it? Please excuse my ignorance. I do agree that it is important for me to envision what type of psychiatrist I want to be, I just don't know where to start really. I would like to have a better understanding before interviews. Thank you for all your help!

Literally 90-95% of your education in the first two years will be from your patients and your fellow residents, so I would start there (for pre-interview that would entail talking to alumni and faculty, getting a sense of demographics and location; once you're actually interviewing you'll get a sense from dinners and resident interviewers). If you're interested in research, look for programs with tracks or protected time. Most will promise the latter, so ask for names and emails of residents that did research to confirm they deliver. For psychotherapy, it's a little more tricky since supervisors vary and don't translate to paper. Programs will name drop people like Yalom, Kernberg, Linehan and Gabbard, but again, confirm that they actually interact with residents (how many lectures? Case conferences?).

As for finding out what you want to be, look locally. Look for a resident or faculty member you admire; most will be thrilled to sit down and talk with you about career (which isn't true of every specialty...). Pick and choose aspects of each one, and you can synthesize them into a career that makes sense for you (again, relatively unique to the specialty).

And then let us know what you find.

Reactions: 1 users

In Texas, I would recommend UTSW - Dallas as #1. The Houston programs do have some research, but the rotations may not leave you time to participate in research during PGY-1-2. Other programs that are less time intensive like A&M have access to VA data and Utmb with correctional data to likely run your own research. They will have less access to dabble in someone else's project, but greater availability to run your own project with oversight. Correctional research is a hot topic and would help a forensic fellowship cv if interested..

This is true, but even in PGY3-4 getting actual research time can be a problem at the Houston programs. I would agree that UTSW is stronger for research than Baylor or UT.

This is true, but even in PGY3-4 getting actual research time can be a problem at the Houston programs. I would agree that UTSW is stronger for research than Baylor or UT..

Not true.

- UT Houston has an increased focus on research with the new Chair and a number of MD/PhD residents. Don't know specific percent time for research but they're attracting research faculty and residents.
- Baylor provides a month of elective in PGY2 which can be research and 25% time in PGY3 and up to 50% in PGY4 for research. I know a couple of residents who've done that in the past few of years.

Not true.

- UT Houston has an increased focus on research with the new Chair and a number of MD/PhD residents. Don't know specific percent time for research but they're attracting research faculty and residents.
- Baylor provides a month of elective in PGY2 which can be research and 25% time in PGY3 and up to 50% in PGY4 for research. I know a couple of residents who've done that in the past few of years..

I still think UTSW beats UT for research.

With Baylor, are you reading off their website? I wouldn't trust it. I too know people who did research there in recent years. I also interviewed there and asked questions and learned that the 25% - 50% thing may not really be true. Yes they have some research time. Yes I believe there is a month in PGY2. But before you get too gung-ho about "percentages," figure out how they're doing the math. Baylor is a very resident labor dependent program that could not possibly spare many of its residents to do 50% research in PGYIV (same rule applies to PGYIII). This would be especially true if there's a mass departure to C&A programs after PYGIII. Anyone who gets 25 or 50% time would be sacrificing most or all of their electives. And the non-elective stuff at Baylor is something you probably want to know about before you go there. Ask if the research time is throughout the year, part of the day, or a section of the year, all day. For all you know, the "other" 50% might be in morning inpatient rotations where the clinical work takes until 3pm, just like it did when you were an intern. There may also be PGYIII and IV call to keep in mind. They may have a lot of weekend rounding. They seem to have a skimpy vacation plan. These things kind of do matter when you're calculating percentages.

Also, even in the event that someone spent 50% of their PGYIV year doing nothing but research, the number of residents who could do that would be extremely limited, given the needs of the program. Since programs differ in terms of that constraint, when you start talking about percentages of time, you need to factor those things in.

Last edited:
Ok this is what Baylor's website says NOW:

"Residents interested in research begin by identifying a mentor and developing a project with the assistance of program leadership. Residents will be screened and approved for protected research time by the Residency Training Director and the Departmental Research Committee based on a one-page proposal from the mentor and applicant describing their research plans. During PGYII the residents can select a one-month research-focused elective. In PGYIII, the residents will have up to 25 percent protected time to do research. In PGYIV, the resident will have protected time for research as appropriate for their project and will have the opportunity to present at the Department of Psychiatry Grand Rounds. Many of the residents in the resident research track may also pursue academic fellowships and research in subsequent years."

So it no longer claims you can do 50% time in PGYIV, and it no longer boasts that graduating residents DO pursue "research fellowships." I wonder who decides what amount of time is appropriate??

Like I said in another thread, if research is important to you, ask for a list of resident publications, and a list of residents who have gone on to research careers.

I've been told by my advisor that if you're otherwise qualified you shouldn't need to apply to more than 12-15 programs. Even then you will likely cancel some interviews depending upon how things are going.

Just food for thought.

I'm having a difficult time figuring out if my application fits the programs I plan to apply to. I want to apply to programs that I have a very good chance of being accepted to.

Here is my list:
University of Colorado
Northwestern University (I know I probably wouldn't get accepted here)
University of Florida
Boston University
Indiana University
University of Arizona
Loyola
Rush
West Virginia University

My info:
Step 1: 219
Step 2 CK/ CS: 229, will take in December
School: Midwest Program
Class Rank: Probably bottom half
Grades in Clerkship: Passed
AOA: No
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 2 undergrad org chem publications, 1 undergrad cell & molec publication, paper currently being reviewed for publication (state specific mandatory reporting and guidelines for psychiatrists), currently working on a systematic review of criminal victimization and mental illness (would be first author). ECs include some volunteer work and Psych interest group.
Red Flags: No, passed everything first attempt

Let me know if the programs fit my numbers... Thank you for any advice!

I'm having a difficult time figuring out if my application fits the programs I plan to apply to. I want to apply to programs that I have a very good chance of being accepted to.

Here is my list:
University of Colorado
University of Florida
Boston University
Indiana University
University of Arizona
Loyola
Rush
West Virginia University

My info:
Research/ Publications/ Extracurriculars: 2 undergrad org chem publications, 1 undergrad cell & molec publication, paper currently being reviewed for publication (state specific mandatory reporting and guidelines for psychiatrists), currently working on a systematic review of criminal victimization and mental illness (would be first author). ECs include some volunteer work and Psych interest group.

I don't think any of those programs are out of reach. Granted, with such a large list there will likely be a good handful of programs that don't offer interviews (because they can't interview everyone), but there's nothing on that list that should make anyone say you wouldn't have a good chance there.

Here is my list:
University of Colorado
University of Florida
Boston University
Indiana University
University of Arizona
Loyola
Rush
West Virginia University

My info:

Do you go to an allopathic school? If so, assuming no red flags, you have a shot at all of those places, including Northwestern.

Other places:
Midwest- University of Chicago (actually on the rise despite what people on SDN say), Wash U, Michigan, Wisconsin
South- Duke, UNC, Vanderbilt, Emory
Southwest- UTSW, Baylor
Northeast: Reaches will be MGH and Columbia, everywhere else you are probably a good enough candidate for an interview (numerically), though some of the places, especially in NYC are rather competitive and turn away really strong applicants

I do go to an allopathic school. I don't have any red flags. I took all board exams once and haven't had to repeat anything in school. I am actually very surprised that I would have a shot at Northwestern or Wash U. I'll do some research on the other places that you've mentioned. I just wanted to make sure I would have a handful of interviews to choose from... Thank you VERY MUCH for the information st2205 and HarryMTieboutMD.

Last edited:
I'm applying to a lot of places. Also a few family and IM programs. Nothing is more fun or interesting than psychiatry but a lot of my medicine attendings have argued that only applying for psych would be crazy.

I do go to an allopathic school. I don't have any red flags. I took all board exams once and haven't had to repeat anything in school. I am actually very surprised that I would have a shot at Northwestern or Wash U. I'll do some research on the other places that you've mentioned. I just wanted to make sure I would have a handful of interviews to choose from... Thank you VERY MUCH for the information st2205 and HarryMTieboutMD.

If anything, aim higher. Again, psych is not competitive. Most US applicants get interviews from most places they apply to, even the big name places.

I'm applying to a lot of places. Also a few family and IM programs. Nothing is more fun or interesting than psychiatry but a lot of my medicine attendings have argued that only applying for psych would be crazy.

Applying to FM or medicine when you want to be a psychiatrist is even crazier if you ask me. This would only make sense if there was evidence that someone could get into medicine or FM more easily than they could get into psych. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see that as true. All are fairly close to the bottom in terms of difficulty to get into.

I would be interested in other’s opinions, but I find myself arguing that psych is about as low as anyone might need (unfortunately). It would be tough on this forum to ask people; “Hay, did anyone end up in medicine who wanted psych”, or “did anyone end up in psych who wanted medicine?” There might be a few of both, but my guess is that the vast majority of people either got what they wanted, or they didn’t get anything.

If you know you want to be in psychiatry, why would you apply to other fields? Doesn't really make much sense.

Psychiatry is the only way to go for me. It is extremely convenient that it is a very non-competitive field. After many patient encounters I have had moments of overwhelming gratitude that I have the opportunity to be a member of such a wonderful field. I don't know how I am so lucky to have this opportunity. One patient suffering with bipolar disorder said to me last week in regards to his new medications, "this is the first time in my life that I have a chance to actually choose the way that I feel." He then thanked me for picking Psychiatry as a field. That was very touching.

Applying to FM or medicine when you want to be a psychiatrist is even crazier if you ask me. This would only make sense if there was evidence that someone could get into medicine or FM more easily than they could get into psych. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see that as true. All are fairly close to the bottom in terms of difficulty to get into.

I would be interested in other’s opinions, but I find myself arguing that psych is about as low as anyone might need (unfortunately). It would be tough on this forum to ask people; “Hay, did anyone end up in medicine who wanted psych”, or “did anyone end up in psych who wanted medicine?” There might be a few of both, but my guess is that the vast majority of people either got what they wanted, or they didn’t get anything.

So many people have been yelling "The sky is falling!" I started to look up.

Nothing is cooler than psych.

So, this question may sound naive but I need some help my Psych comrades. I am trying to figure out how to know if a program is a strong academic program. First off, I was told that if it is University based then it is an academic center but how do I know if one is stronger than another? My top programs after much research are now:
1) University of Illinois at Chicago
2) Indiana University
3) University of Washington
4) Medical University of South Carolina Program (I've read this is less academic)
5) University of South Florida Morsani Program
6) University of Colorado
7) University of Florida
8) University of North Carolina
...I'll be adding about 6 more to apply to. All but one of these programs has an Addiction Psych Fellowship which is an interest of mine.

Any help would be GREAT!

So, this question may sound naive but I need some help my Psych comrades. I am trying to figure out how to know if a program is a strong academic program. First off, I was told that if it is University based then it is an academic center but how do I know if one is stronger than another? My top programs after much research are now:
1) University of Illinois at Chicago
2) Indiana University
3) University of Washington
4) Medical University of South Carolina Program (I've read this is less academic)
5) University of South Florida Morsani Program
6) University of Colorado
7) University of Florida
8) University of North Carolina
...I'll be adding about 6 more to apply to. All but one of these programs has an Addiction Psych Fellowship which is an interest of mine.

Any help would be GREAT!

Can you please be more specific and define what you mean by "strong academic program"? Did you intend to ask about the level of research (basic science/clinical translational) that goes on/NIH funding? Did you mean the reputation of the department/institution within academic medicine? Did you mean the level of pathology seen?

And you are not obliged to do your fellowship training at the same institution you did residency. FYI be aware of the existence of both Addiction Medicine (ASAM/ABAM) fellowships and Addiction Psychiatry (ACGME accredited) fellowships. Only psychiatrists can do Addiction Psychiatry fellowships, whereas anyone with a certification in a primary specialty (including psychiatry) can do an addiction medicine fellowship.

Yes, I was looking at addiction psychiatry fellowships but thank you for that distinction....I wasn't aware of it. I was hoping to practice around the area I do my residency so that's why I was focusing on the programs with that fellowship option...but then again I don't know if I will 100% want to proceed with that route after residency.

I just want to have as many job opportunities as possible after residency whether it be in academics or private practice, etc. I was told to pick a strong academic program..? I'm thinking that means in terms of reputation.

Yes, I was looking at addiction psychiatry fellowships but thank you for that distinction....I wasn't aware of it. I was hoping to practice around the area I do my residency so that's why I was focusing on the programs with that fellowship option...but then again I don't know if I will 100% want to proceed with that route after residency.

I just want to have as many job opportunities as possible after residency whether it be in academics or private practice, etc. I was told to pick a strong academic program..? I'm thinking that means in terms of reputation.

I think a useful framework for evaluating the strength of academics is the program's commitment to academics in general. In other words is the program's service commitments stretched so thin that academics are an afterthought or is there protected didactic time with strong lectures or how much resources does a department have to get quality supervision from therapists. Unfortunately, these things are difficult to assess from the outside.

University programs are an obvious start. They generally have more access or resources and more lecturers and so forth. But it comes down to the dedication of the program's leadership. I imagine the amount of effort it takes to maintain a rigorous educational aspect of training and all the service and administrative requirements is tremendous. So dedicated leadership with good personnel support might be another thing to look for on the interview trail.

Reputation is something. As a loose approximation of academic strength. But is probably difficult to use as an assessment tool once you're interviewing. Unless by word of mouth from people who know the program.

Last edited:
I'm also wondering why UTSW isn't on that list? I interviewed at a good chunk of those programs you listed and I felt that UT-Southwestern was leagues ahead of most. Regardless, enjoy the experience of interviewing and being recruited.
Best of luck!