Official 2019-2020 Psychiatry Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PDs or people involved with the process—can you shed light on number of applicants this year vs last year at your place?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Like I said, we have about 50 less applicants compared to last year, but the US allopathic grads have gone up and looks like IMGs are looking at other specialties. I'm an N of 1 of course.

I'm convinced that I could get some high quality people if I just called the Deans of a dozen medical schools adjacent to my state and put the word out that we are offering contracts for PGY-Is by early November. I don't have the guts to do it and I'm too conventional to try, but it would save us thousands of hours.

Reactions: 3 users
Like I said, we have about 50 less applicants compared to last year, but the US allopathic grads have gone up and looks like IMGs are looking at other specialties. I'm an N of 1 of course.

I'm convinced that I could get some high quality people if I just called the Deans of a dozen medical schools adjacent to my state and put the word out that we are offering contracts for PGY-Is by early November. I don't have the guts to do it and I'm too conventional to try, but it would save us thousands of hours.

How about DO applicant numbers? Are MD applicants preferred to most programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
You are right, I should have said US grads and not allopathic grads. I did lump them together. Our DOs are about the same, but that could mean a little down as the number of DO graduates is going up.

Our DOs are up--not just from the established schools that we've matched from in previous years, but also from newer schools we don't have a history with. The former are equally preferred to most MD schools, the latter we tend to treat similarly to the Caribbean schools.

Reactions: 2 users
USMD here. Seems from the general Q and A excel sheet that alot of programs are already full or have already rolled out their wait list. I'm at <3 interviews myself and I know I'm not the only one. Is this a usual pattern that we should expect to see or is this an effect of programs being inundated with applications? And if it's the latter then wouldn't that mean the trickle down theory is going to be less prominent in this year's match?

Reactions: 1 users
There's too much self-perpetuating anxiety around here. It's too early for most programs to be full although I'm sure there are a fair amount of maxed out places. The majority of interviews go out by the end of October, according to the program director survey, but I would try and stave off the excessive worrying until the actual end of October. Also, 25-30% of interview invites should go out after October. Have faith in the numbers (p. 134): https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/NRMP-2018-Program-Director-Survey-for-WWW.pdf. Good luck!

Still receiving interviews from many programs with unfilled interview dates in Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan. Stop panicking.

Our DOs are up--not just from the established schools that we've matched from in previous years, but also from newer schools we don't have a history with. The former are equally preferred to most MD schools, the latter we tend to treat similarly to the Caribbean schools.
Which of them are considered to be "established" schools?

It is a bit frustrating to not get interviews from programs you are really interested in but have no ties to.

Not everyone is a family hearth-cultist trying to live right next to their kinfolk their whole life. Oh well... programs will continue to be as incestuous as possible at every turn it seems.

Reminds me of my friend and I's experience applying to med school - no love from our home states!

Anyway, always feels good to rant to other people going through the same things. I hope they reach out to you! Maybe they are holding out because they know if they give you an interview last second then you would for sure go, so they want to offer it to people farther away.

I am having a bit of the opposite problem. My hometown state (not where I go to med school) institutions have been ghosting me, including my undergrad alma mater where I did extensive research at their Med school. so confusing lol

I won't panic per the recommendations. Just going to update that I'm still at zero interviews. Have reviewed my application numerous times to check for any mistakes/missteps, but it's all in order. Going to wait it out.

I would recommend that you:
1) Apply to all of the programs less than 4 years old.
2) Apply to programs with few/no IMG’s...even better if these programs are community programs, not in highly desirable locations, with some DOs. Programs full of IMGs are often harder to match into for AMGs than those full of AMGs because said IMG programs feel pressured to reserve spots for IMGs. These IMG programs accept money from specific international schools to reserve rotations for the schools’ students...but really, it’s a payoff for residency spots.
3) Write letters to the non-competitive programs you’re especially interested in, citing the aspects unique to each program that interest you. You can start writing these letters now.
4) Keep your head up. My app season last year started VERY slowly, but it really picked up heading into November with cancellations from stronger applicants and a proactive approach on my part. I’m now at a major university program that I thought I had little to no chance at.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I sympathize with you all. The over application problem is pretty clearly making life harder for both applicants and programs (although I have much more sympathy for applicants).

From what I have heard from our PD, number of apps are about the same as last year but I suspect this actually represents at least a slight decrease in the actual number of applicants, as the number of applications per applicant has been rising lockstep with the panic.

We have apparently filled all of our interview spots but expect some movement off the waitlist. How much movement? Your guess is as good as mine.

I sympathize with you all. The over application problem is pretty clearly making life harder for both applicants and programs (although I have much more sympathy for applicants).

From what I have heard from our PD, number of apps are about the same as last year but I suspect this actually represents at least a slight decrease in the actual number of applicants, as the number of applications per applicant has been rising lockstep with the panic.

We have apparently filled all of our interview spots but expect some movement off the waitlist. How much movement? Your guess is as good as mine.
It doesn't help that many of us have heard "oh you need to apply to like 60 programs".

Reactions: 4 users
For all the PGY-1's on here, how many invites did you have around this time of last year? My stats are low and I think I applied to more reaches than safeties, but I'm grateful for the 4 invites I have - just not sure when I should officially freak out.
At this time I had 9 interviews. 18 total for the season.

For all the PGY-1's on here, how many invites did you have around this time of last year? My stats are low and I think I applied to more reaches than safeties, but I'm grateful for the 4 invites I have - just not sure when I should officially freak out.

I applied to 17 programs and had 8 at this time last year. I ended up getting 2-3 more. I had decent numbers with good clinical grades/evals and LORs.

I ended up canceling all but 6 of my interviews and matched #2. I suspect you’ll get some more invites, and even if you don’t your odds of matching are not bad. But, however it plays out, you’re gong to feel anxious until March 15th.

I would write some LOIs to programs you haven’t heard from and practice the **** out of interviewing. They’re the only two things you can control at the moment. Otherwise it’s just waiting. And it sucks.

I applied to 17 programs and had 8 at this time last year. I ended up getting 2-3 more. I had decent numbers with good clinical grades/evals and LORs.

I ended up canceling all but 6 of my interviews and matched #2. I suspect you’ll get some more invites, and even if you don’t your odds of matching are not bad. But, however it plays out, you’re gong to feel anxious until March 15th.

I would write some LOIs to programs you haven’t heard from and practice the **** out of interviewing. They’re the only two things you can control at the moment. Otherwise it’s just waiting. And it sucks.

How do you recommend practicing if our program doesn't offer mock interviews?

If it makes anyone else feel better:

DO applicant, bottom of the class. Below average COMLEX 1/2 but passed on first attempts. Excellent third year though - all A's, great evaluations. Four strong LoRs. Applied to 60 programs. Haven't gotten a single invitation.
I'm sorry bro. There's still a ton of time and people will cancel interviews. I also think it'd be cool to reach out to your school admin and let others know how you're feeling.

Not remotely an authority but at least get a friend or family member to interview you. Even better you can do it with a peer and reverse roles. Give them a list of questions you want to work on and let them ask follow up questions. My friend asked me to do this for her for a non-medical job and it was helpful for both of us. You at least learn the timing better and can help each other come up with better ways of wording things.

It is a bit frustrating to not get interviews from programs you are really interested in but have no ties to.

Not everyone is a family hearth-cultist trying to live right next to their kinfolk their whole life. Oh well... programs will continue to be as incestuous as possible at every turn it seems.
I agree with you and I have only recently been pushed into paying attention to geography. Not so long ago we could just interview the 100 strongest applicants from anywhere. Now we get 100 applications per slot, it has become important to pay more attention to those that are more likely to come and want to train at our program. When all programs get a significant portion of all applicants, it would be disastrous if all programs chose to interview the same top 100 applicants. The strongest predictor of true interest is geography so I feel kind of forced into using it. I still agree with what you say, but I am also responsible for filling my slots.

Think of every interview questions you can imagine and start formulating your responses. I find that when I write down my thoughts, they come easier when I am talking about them. You can record yourself answering questions and watch the recordings a few days later to see how you look/sound. Practice with a friend.

The hard part of this is figuring how to pick the "right" 10% to interview. I trust the Sorting Hat Match to sort out the ones we will actually get, but how to offer interviews--the true "scarce resource" I have to allocate--to the applicants who are best suited to benefit from meeting us?

We have 50-60 no-brainers that we send out in the first wave--but another 100+ who look "good enough". I can't interview them all...
In general, how many interviews get extended per spot available at a program? Seems like there is a fine balancing act to not overspend on interviewing students while also interviewing enough to definitely fill.

I have heard as much as 10x the number of spots, so it'll be interesting to see if we get an answer.

I have heard as much as 10x the number of spots, so it'll be interesting to see if we get an answer.
According to the NRMP data. In psychiatry listing the average number of interviews per slot in 2017 shows the 75% ranks 12.3 interviews per slot
50% (average) was 9.6, 25% was 6.8.
For 2018 it was 12.8, 10.1, and 7.2
For 2019 it was 12.5, 10.0, and 7.5
So for most places it is 10 interviews per slot.

Wow. That was surprisingly accurate.

Programs brag about how few interviews it takes them to fill, but this is a silly measure. It really depends on how many other programs are near by and competing for applicants.

I have an interview at my dream place and I am super happy. Anyone have any advice on how not to mess it up and do anything I can to get in? It’s a little bit of a reach for me as the program usually takes applicants from better schools.

Read up on the place and know something about what they are proud of. Just be yourself because anything else is artificial and obvious. Say how interested you are, but don't be desperate or sycophantic.

Reactions: 6 users

Guessing this won't put your mind at ease, but offers another data point. I had 16 by this date last year, received 27 total during the process. Couples matchers who over applied and admittedly had some good luck

Guessing this won't put your mind at ease, but offers another data point. I had 16 by this date last year, received 27 total during the process. Couples matchers who over applied and admittedly had some good luck
God damn son, how many did you apply to?

Probably had about 8 interviews at this time..ended up with 20 overall. DO here with good stats.

Reactions: 3 users
I have an interview at my dream place and I am super happy. Anyone have any advice on how not to mess it up and do anything I can to get in? It’s a little bit of a reach for me as the program usually takes applicants from better schools.
Me too. Got an interview from my dream program. Fingers crossed.

Already got my dream program invite, the question is whether I'm their dream candidate. :p

The places I have not heard from at this point are mostly NIH top 20 funding kind of places (fwiw I’m an MD PhD with decent stats). Is it unreasonable to assume that these places have probably sent out their invites by now, and that a lot of movement is unlikely- especially the higher up the ol’ academic tier you go? I certainly can’t imagine anyone canceling at a Top 10 place, for example.

For the record I’m extremely grateful for the interviews I have at this point. I know this message might make it sound like I’m obsessed with tiers but moreso I just want to manage my expectations. And practically speaking- I am unsure how important it is to have someone else monitor my ERAS email and scheduling when I have interview days in the coming weeks. Given that I do not really expect more invites I don’t see much need to give anyone else my password/instructions for those days. Am I wrong?

Congrats to those of you with interviews you are excited about, and I wish all the best to those still waiting. I have really appreciated SDN throughout this rather stressful process.

Seems like a lot of MD/PhD/Research track stuff is going out a little later than most, based on discussion w/ some other people on research tracks apps.

Seems like a lot of MD/PhD/Research track stuff is going out a little later than most, based on discussion w/ some other people on research tracks apps.

Maybe it’s just the doom and gloom of the season getting to me, but couldn’t that same observation be viewed another way... Namely, instead of the invites coming late, it’s just that I and the other research applicants have ended up getting significantly less than we expected? Unfortunately the only way to distinguish between these competing viewpoints is waiting. I hate waiting, though!

There is a lot more to review for research folk (although in some ways it's probably easier) and the applications often go down a different pathway than the non-research applicants. The person who does the reviewing may be more or less on top of it than the regular PDs. On the research side, you're playing a very small n game with maybe 20 good candidates out there. Some years programs will crush recruiting and the next only match the bottom of their list or struggle to interview. Some programs really want model organism researchers while others are open to less basic stuff. The amount of weight given to med school vs. PhD is highly variable as well.

Also, you may be surprised, but even some researchers have strong location preferences and a handful of solid interviews in the north east, mid west or west might lead some very talented people to decide against paying to fly to boston, palo alto, pittsburgh, ect. just to get a free dinner.

Finally, I can't imagine a good research track caring about same day invite turn around. This isn't orthopedics. They will interview the people that they want to. I wouldn't wait a week, but 48 hours is fine. There certainly are tiers of RT applicants, but if you know 2 with solid first author publications and good steps/clinical grades who aren't getting many invites, I would assume that it's slow going.

There is a lot more to review for research folk (although in some ways it's probably easier) and the applications often go down a different pathway than the non-research applicants. The person who does the reviewing may be more or less on top of it than the regular PDs. On the research side, you're playing a very small n game with maybe 20 good candidates out there. Some years programs will crush recruiting and the next only match the bottom of their list or struggle to interview. Some programs really want model organism researchers while others are open to less basic stuff. The amount of weight given to med school vs. PhD is highly variable as well.

Also, you may be surprised, but even some researchers have strong location preferences and a handful of solid interviews in the north east, mid west or west might lead some very talented people to decide against paying to fly to boston, palo alto, pittsburgh, ect. just to get a free dinner.

Finally, I can't imagine a good research track caring about same day invite turn around. This isn't orthopedics. They will interview the people that they want to. I wouldn't wait a week, but 48 hours is fine. There certainly are tiers of RT applicants, but if you know 2 with solid first author publications and good steps/clinical grades who aren't getting many invites, I would assume that it's slow going.
Thank you- that is really good perspective

Maybe it’s just the doom and gloom of the season getting to me, but couldn’t that same observation be viewed another way... Namely, instead of the invites coming late, it’s just that I and the other research applicants have ended up getting significantly less than we expected? Unfortunately the only way to distinguish between these competing viewpoints is waiting. I hate waiting, though!

Similar to downwithDTB- I've heard of some research tracks getting a bunch of apps, with only really about 40ish serious apps and then interviewing maybe 20ish people out of those. I also know of at least one top 10 school that hasn't sent out their invites. If you have a PhD you're likely being seriously considered. I know of a few schools that have sent out invites if you want to DM me.

So...is it LOI time?
To give an idea, a good, but extremely underrated program in the south in which the PD promised an invite during the winter as I finished an away (honored) took about 3 days to respond to an LOI sent on Sunday - citing hectic app load and day-to-day work as the main cause. The PD said to expect an invite during the week, which I received within 30 minutes of the PD response. I know that this PD actually spends at least 2 minutes on EVERY application.

Depending on the ones you applied to, it may be a similar situation where they haven't actually even reviewed every app at this time. But similar to many other posters here, you can probably accelerate the response with an LOI. If they were going to invite you, very little in your LOI will negatively change that. If you were borderline (not personality pls) and the reviewer or PC had a bad day, maybe waitlist or rejection. I've had this happen at a place which was reach for me and though sad, it was better for me to get it out of the way. YMMV

People have said on here that more interviews will open up once people that over-applied (all of us) start cancelling. Would it be better to wait a couple weeks to send LOI's?

I'm a DO applicant with below average COMLEX scores - no USMLE - but (presumably) good LOR's and decent extracurriculars/research. I've gotten 4 interviews so far, 2 of them were away's. I'm just getting worried at this point that i won't get enough interviews. I applied very broadly; 75 programs and many of them community, new, or low tier.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know the stats for what percentage of people get into their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. ranked position?

I've done this twice. Programs usually send invites to their top tier applicants earlier. Later on, they'll invite people to meet quota, so they won't go unfilled. The interviews can help us jump up a few spots on the rank list, but they are not make or break. A lot of it is based on your scores and such. Good luck!

I've been spending most of my time on the spreadsheet (yeah I don't want to talk about it). There have now been multiple accusations of dishonest behavior (one person posting multiple invites at one school to make it look more full than it is, people indicating programs are full when they are not, people listing schools that have not sent invites yet, people posting false dates, etc). Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

h50923CC0

• Haha
That spreadsheet is starting to become toxic. I don't think I'll be looking at it anymore.

Does anyone know the stats for what percentage of people get into their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. ranked position?
Not exactly, but they should readily exist via NRMP. The ballpark is that like 85% get one of their top 3 IIRC.

But all of these cohort statistics are just a way of trying to soothe anxieties about an individual--and highly variable--process. They also don't seem to be very effective, given the continued over-application trend despite stats showing interviewing at more than 10 places leading to significantly diminished returns.