Official 2019-2020 Psychiatry Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Look at charting outcomes: if you're a US MD, with 12 to 20 ranks you go from 96% to 99% match. DO it's 91% to 99%. IMGs go from 70s to mid 90s.

So it depends a bit on what you consider "safe." It also depends on how likely you are to be an outlier. Are you very clearly a bad interviewer (i.e. despite a 3.8 and 35 MCAT go into 1 med school even though you interviewed at 15 or you make no eye contact)? Did you interview with active psychosis or mania? Do you have a major red flag that may impact licensing? Did you only interview at very top programs? Do you interview at places that don't take many of your category DO/carribean/FMG/ect? Did you own your red flags and fix them, or did you do bad on step 1 and not take step 2 yet, ect?

What's beyond safe for the average US MD who interviewed at a safety program or two might be a huge risk for a DO who interviewed at mixed programs and has a DUI.
Thank you. I didn’t interpret the charting outcomes data properly. I’m a US MD student with no red flags. I feel better now.

Yep, I think I've narrowed it down to a few red flags. I'm a non-US IMG from a pretty unknown Carib school (yay). Step 2ck was poooor. CV was pretty anorexic.. I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna match this round so decisions...

I am really sorry, friend. All I can extend to you now are prayers and good vibes. Stay strong; things tend to work out in the end.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I wish I knew how to gauge my interviewing. The interviewers have a good poker face, and at times I feel like we're having a good conversation... other times I feel like they're disengaged.

I feel you man. Most times everything is pretty good, but at least one out of four interviews feels pretty meh. It makes me wonder if I blew my shot.

I wish I knew how to gauge my interviewing. The interviewers have a good poker face, and at times I feel like we're having a good conversation... other times I feel like they're disengaged.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone interview at Eastern Long Island Hospital/Stony brook yet? If so, what were your thoughts?

has anyone interview at Eastern Long Island Hospital/Stony brook yet? If so, what were your thoughts?
You just posted on the spreadsheet Q&A lmao.
havent, but it’s just nice to know I’m not the only one regularly on both.

I have an interview there coming up, so I'm also interested. I love the location, so assuming the program is decent it will probably be my top choice. Its outside of the match though, right?

I doubt it. The location and program are coveted. No one is going to cancel.

I doubt your statement is true. Even the most "coveted" programs will have people cancel. Someone or their partner who lives in the ____ region of America will get pregnant/sick family member/homesick on an earlier interview and decide that after interviewing and the Best Psychiatry Residencies in their region that San Diego is not where they want to live and will cancel a January interview. I'd bet good money on that. It won't be a lot of people, and the program might not feel the need to replace the interviewees... but people always cancel, even at the most desirable places and especially in January.

I got an interview from a good program within my range in late December. Also, that rarely happens, so I wouldn't get my hopes up at this point, especially not for USCD... even though someone will cancel their UCSD interview between now and the end.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I'm not going to get my hopes up haha. Wishful thinking

I got into two interviews this year in coveted programs that had cancellations.

People cancel.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know anything about the University of Kentucky Bowling Green program? Shot in the dark here but nothing on this or last years spreadsheet

Last edited:
Given previous commentary regarding Charles Nemeroff in old threads, any thoughts about his being appointed chair at Dell Medical School Psychiatry at UT Austin will affect the residency training? He seems to be a controversial figure to say the least and for what seems like very good reason...

Members don't see this ad :)
Given previous commentary regarding Charles Nemeroff in old threads, any thoughts about his being appointed chair at Dell Medical School Psychiatry at UT Austin will affect the residency training? He seems to be a controversial figure to say the least and for what seems like very good reason...
?Could you elaborate on the controversy?

Hey, all you need is 1 at the right place. Don't be discouraged just yet.

I posted on this thread a month or so ago regarding my lack of interviews. AMG from DO school, low class rank with one remediated course, low COMLEX scores but passed on first attempts, passed Level 2 PE. Good PS, MSPE, LoRs. I used some family connections to gain one interview. Other than that, dust and echoes.

I am guessing there are IMGs who have received interviews. Being an AMG with no genuine interviews at this point is disheartening, especially since psych has been my interest from the get go. In any event, all the best to the rest.

I think you're missing something here. Feel free to ignore my 20 questions, but in case you're interested...

What is your year of graduation? Is it this year? Who told you your PS was good? Did you review your MSPE? How do you know your LORs are good? Your stats aren't ideal, but only one interview and that's with a connection? Did you apply to community programs?

I canceled a Cali interview. Not everyone wants to live in southern California. Some of us actively avoid it.

Was your PS about why you want to be a psychiatrist? Were the psychiatrists who read it involved with recruitment or were they private practice/community psychiatrists? Also, in what kind of setting were your rotations?

So I had a friend who didn’t get any interview invites for psych last year. Not one. Very similar story to you, though. We’re 95% sure one of his LORs burned him.

I posted on this thread a month or so ago regarding my lack of interviews. AMG from DO school, low class rank with one remediated course, low COMLEX scores but passed on first attempts, passed Level 2 PE. Good PS, MSPE, LoRs. I used some family connections to gain one interview. Other than that, dust and echoes.

I am guessing there are IMGs who have received interviews. Being an AMG with no genuine interviews at this point is disheartening, especially since psych has been my interest from the get go. In any event, all the best to the rest.

First, I'm sorry you are going through this. What types of places did you apply to? I'm an IMG and I have some interviews, but they are all at less prestigious programs(and I applied super broadly), so maybe you shot too high. Psych seems to have been brutal this year for everybody except the top applicants that are hoarding 20+ interviews. I definitely know other AMGs with no red flags other than somewhat low board scores who are struggling with 3 or less interviews. And its not just psych, I have a classmate in a different specialty who went on more than 20+ interviews. Its all speculation at this point, and maybe its like this every year and our perceptions are warped because we are living it, but I think this match is going to be especially bad for both programs and a lot applicants. Everyone went crazy this year both with the number of apps sent out and the number of interviews they went on. I think as a result programs are interviewing a lot of the same people and are going to have to go further down their list than in past years. The good news for you is from what I have seen, family connections matter a lot so hopefully you end up high on their list(and its definitely possible to match with one interview). Best of luck.

So I had a friend who didn’t get any interview invites for psych last year. Not one. Very similar story to you, though. We’re 95% sure one of his LORs burned him.

Did he reapply this year and if so do you know how he is doing?

First, I'm sorry you are going through this. What types of places did you apply to? I'm an IMG and I have some interviews, but they are all at less prestigious programs(and I applied super broadly), so maybe you shot too high. Psych seems to have been brutal this year for everybody except the top applicants that are hoarding 20+ interviews. I definitely know other AMGs with no red flags other than somewhat low board scores who are struggling with 3 or less interviews. And its not just psych, I have a classmate in a different specialty who went on more than 20+ interviews. Its all speculation at this point, and maybe its like this every year and our perceptions are warped because we are living it, but I think this match is going to be especially bad for both programs and a lot applicants. Everyone went crazy this year both with the number of apps sent out and the number of interviews they went on. I think as a result programs are interviewing a lot of the same people and are going to have to go further down their list than in past years. The good news for you is from what I have seen, family connections matter a lot so hopefully you end up high on their list(and its definitely possible to match with one interview). Best of luck.
I am nowhere near a top applicant and I scored 16 interviews. LORs make a difference and so does where you apply.

...said it before, will say it again. You need three letters. Get 4 and rotate them if there is a next time, hopefully there isn't. Rotate your PS, too.

Remember: the only letters you should ever trust are 1) letters you've seen 2) letters from someone with a financial interest in you 3) letters from someone who refers you more patients than you refer to them (i.e. someone who stakes their reputation on you). Regarding PS and interviews, different people have different opinions. I'm NOT saying be fake. I am saying that maybe you shouldn't tell *everyone* that you sleep with a dead deaths head hawkmoth on your lips because, well, psychiatry.

Finally, the best advice will come from someone who is open will you and has no interest in you or relationship to you and can be totally frank; sometimes that isn't your clerkship director or preceptor and can be very hard to find within your institution.

Did he reapply this year and if so do you know how he is doing?
He didn’t. He soaped family and stuck it out.

...said it before, will say it again. You need three letters. Get 4 and rotate them if there is a next time, hopefully there isn't. Rotate your PS, too.

Remember: the only letters you should ever trust are 1) letters you've seen 2) letters from someone with a financial interest in you 3) letters from someone who refers you more patients than you refer to them (i.e. someone who stakes their reputation on you). Regarding PS and interviews, different people have different opinions. I'm NOT saying be fake. I am saying that maybe you shouldn't tell *everyone* that you sleep with a dead deaths head hawkmoth on your lips because, well, psychiatry.

Finally, the best advice will come from someone who is open will you and has no interest in you or relationship to you and can be totally frank; sometimes that isn't your clerkship director or preceptor and can be very hard to find within your institution.
I don’t know how having 4 letters would have changed his situation.
As far as your advice on what letters to have goes that’s not really feasible. You waive your right to see the letter or it has no merit. Most of your preceptors don’t have a financial interest in you and you’re definitely not getting patients referred to you as a student.

He might have had the worst personal statement in the world, but the PD who wrote his letter of red didn’t even interview him so that’s why I think she burned him.

Agree with rotating LORs. When I applied, I got something like 8 letters. I had letters from three different psychiatrists, two from FM, one from surg, one from peds, etc. No two places got the same combination of letters just in case. Not sure about rotating your PS. That's something that, if done right, should be personal and give great insight into you as a person and your choices in terms of medicine and psychiatry. Sure you can write it with different words, but not sure how you can change the content, which is what matters. Where people go wrong with the PS is when they don't answer the question why psychiatry with something that's meaningful. For instance, I once mentored a med student whose personal statement was all about wanting a good lifestyle during residency and career and that was why she chose psych. That isn't going to fly, no matter how many ways it's written.

He might have had the worst personal statement in the world, but the PD who wrote his letter of red didn’t even interview him so that’s why I think she burned him.

Did this PD have direct knowledge of his clinical skills/knowledge? Where many med students go wrong is in soliciting letters from "big name" people who don't know them. That's the worst thing you can do, IMO. All my letters came from attendings who directly observed me during clerkships. You can always, always tell when the person writing the letter has no idea who you are or how you are as a doctor.

As far as your advice on what letters to have goes that’s not really feasible. You waive your right to see the letter or it has no merit. Most of your preceptors don’t have a financial interest in you and you’re definitely not getting patients referred to you as a student.

Having more letters than you send allows you to make it so that no program gets every letter. That way two people have to burn you to screw you. I got 5 and sent 4/program.

#s 1-3 will rarely apply to med students, but will apply as your career progresses (fellowships, grants, awards, jobs, ect). My point was that it *is* feasible because you probably can't trust *any* of your letters so you shouldn't send them all to everyone, as above.

I also think that a letter writer burned the poster above... but my point about risk mitigation via alternative PS/interview disclosure stands as well. Only the very, very best applicants should consider playing a uniformly strong hand. But even there, it's a careful balance between coming off confident and leveraging your value vs. being seen as too narcissistic and demanding to be rankable.

Did this PD have direct knowledge of his clinical skills/knowledge? Where many med students go wrong is in soliciting letters from "big name" people who don't know them. That's the worst thing you can do, IMO. All my letters came from attendings who directly observed me during clerkships. You can always, always tell when the person writing the letter has no idea who you are or how you are as a doctor.
She did know him past second hand knowledge, as far as I know. He thought they interacted and got along well because she was the attending on one of his weeks there.
But I agree with you on big name, I’m a DO with a board failure and went for letters where people actually knew me over big names and I’m fairing ok so far.

Agree with rotating LORs. When I applied, I got something like 8 letters. I had letters from three different psychiatrists, two from FM, one from surg, one from peds, etc. No two places got the same combination of letters just in case. Not sure about rotating your PS. That's something that, if done right, should be personal and give great insight into you as a person and your choices in terms of medicine and psychiatry. Sure you can write it with different words, but not sure how you can change the content, which is what matters. Where people go wrong with the PS is when they don't answer the question why psychiatry with something that's meaningful. For instance, I once mentored a med student whose personal statement was all about wanting a good lifestyle during residency and career and that was why she chose psych. That isn't going to fly, no matter how many ways it's written.

The potential problems with PS include explaining or not a weakness in a way that ends up hurting. Being overly metaphorical may appeal to some not others. Why psych being rooted in personal/family/friend not educational experiences with psychiatry. Trying to come across as having personality or strengths. Stating a narrow or broad interest. All of these can work for and against someone.

I agree that a bland PS of why psych, with bland interests (I like talking to patients, helping the vulnerable and playing guitar/baking) for a bland applicant (no bright red flags), would be a fine way to go. But if you read your PS and can imagine anyone second guessing it, why not try it two ways and see what happens. Especially if you're someone who needs to apply to 60 programs. Heck, you can even personally address why a specific program matches your interests. But I don't have time! Your investment of your time in individual PS will set you apart, save you time in writing beg emails to PDs, show that youre invested in the career and anything over.

All that goes to say: I've seen enough bad or at least bad to me PS in my life, as well as enough difference in opinion over the same PS, to say that unless it and you are very generic, rotating might overt disaster or at least mitigate bad outcome somewhat.

He didn’t. He soaped family and stuck it out.

Why do people do this? Why not just refuse to write the letter? I understand not being comfortable writing a LOR for somebody, but it seems unnecessarily cruel to agree and then tank that person's chances and have them essentially waste all that time/energy/money.

Reactions: 5 users
This is why I wax/wane with my rumination over what my letters actually contained. I waived my right to read the letters because my school strongly encouraged me to + all the advice I read regarding this principle. In any event, my letters were from my preceptors who directly observed me throughout my respective rotations with them. I specifically asked those who gave me extremely positive evaluations and had good faith in my skills. I also worded my requests by requesting "strong letters" with the conditional, "if..." to give them the option of telling me whether or not they believed I deserved it. They all happily and enthusiastically agreed to write them.

Since one of the posts above mentions a board failure but still is fairing well, I have to wonder if there is something terribly, terribly wrong in my application that I missed. I just can't think of it and have taken an exhaustive approach to this whole thing.

Rarely a good letter is actually bad. You know, like if the person didn't get the memo and was honest, saying that you were a below average (based on your grades) but competent and nice doctor. It's amazing how many people in the top 1-5% of all doctors ever in LORs happen to be in the bottom quartile of their class with terrible board scores.

Seperately, did you apply to mostly programs that are DO heavy?

This is why I wax/wane with my rumination over what my letters actually contained. I waived my right to read the letters because my school strongly encouraged me to + all the advice I read regarding this principle. In any event, my letters were from my preceptors who directly observed me throughout my respective rotations with them. I specifically asked those who gave me extremely positive evaluations and had good faith in my skills. I also worded my requests by requesting "strong letters" with the conditional, "if..." to give them the option of telling me whether or not they believed I deserved it. They all happily and enthusiastically agreed to write them.

Since one of the posts above mentions a board failure but still is fairing well, I have to wonder if there is something terribly, terribly wrong in my application that I missed. I just can't think of it and have taken an exhaustive approach to this whole thing.
Yes, I’m fairing well enough. But I did a lot of research into where I’d apply, like extensively. Went through every program in the US, applied former DO, and programs with DOs on their roster that didn’t say something about no failures.

I still go back to presentation, such as your PS. Maybe it just didn't grab anyone? Or maybe you didn't apply to enough places that happily take DOs? Unless someone totally tanked your LOR (and from what you say, it seems like that may not be the case), it's hard to believe that one semi-bad LOR kept you out of the game entirely. Have you sent any follow-up emails to places?

Very good points. I did send some follow-ups and am awaiting replies. The program that did interview me didn't bring anything up regarding any bad letter or bad PS (actually the PD liked my PS and wanted to discuss it more). I wonder - would they have told me/challenged me on one of these glaringly negative elements that I am presuming exists in my application that is causing these other programs to reject me if it exists?

I did apply to a few DO heavy programs, as well, which are run by DO PDs, but have been rejected from at least one already.
You sure all your Step 2 scores/ transcripts are properly released to schools? I came across a horror story of someone on the reddit spreadsheet who thought they did but didn’t. Did you submit later than Sept. 15?

I definitely think I'm missing something, because it hasn't made sense to me.
Year of graduation is 2020. I worked on my PS for a few months, had it reviewed by two psychiatrists who deemed it "exactly what we are looking for." At my interview, the PD said they really liked it and wanted to talk about it more.

I reviewed my MSPE. I guess I cannot definitively say my LoRs are good; I'm judging on good faith based on how I requested them, who I requested them from, and my performance in the rotations with those respective letter-writers with whom I have trust. One was from a psychiatrist, one from family medicine, one from internal medicine, and one from Ob/Gyn. I did very well in my third year - excellent evaluations. My school does letter grading for core rotations and P/F for electives. I got all As in my required rotations. I've passed all my electives.

I did apply to community programs, as well. Only one interview with a connection indeed out of sixty total programs applied to. I definitely think I'm missing something.

Mm, having only one letter (and out of 4) from Psychiatry is a bit of a flag tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do people do this? Why not just refuse to write the letter? I understand not being comfortable writing a LOR for somebody, but it seems unnecessarily cruel to agree and then tank that person's chances and have them essentially waste all that time/energy/money.

Refusing to write a letter is also very tricky. It will almost certainly sour a relationship. In cases in which students ask for a letter and the verdict is not very good, theres a mismatch in perception. What most evaluators would do is try to ignore the request. (Saying no in such cases is more trouble than faculty want to handle)

I did apply to a few DO heavy programs, as well, which are run by DO PDs, but have been rejected from at least one already.

A *few*?!? I reread your post. Your a DO with low COMLEX and low class rank. Last year 216 DOs matched to psych and 81 did not. Odds in your comlex range are about 60% but probably made worse by the class rank. If I had been you, I'd have applied to every program with either 1) DO PD or 2) > 50% DO/carribean. But 3) Programs with lots of US MDs or mostly all visa FMGs are probably very low probability to interview you. If there are any programs 1/2 out there left, maybe throw them a hail Mary. I wonder how many of your 60 were more like 1/2 and how many were like 3.

Other thoughts did you pass the none PE part of COMLEX yet? If not, with low part 1 you it's a red flag if you haven't passed part 2 yet.

Another option: DOs with low COMLEX are more likely to match IM or neurology and much more likely to match FM. Maybe consider tossing out a few applications to very DO friendly programs in those specialties that haven't filled in the past with an honest "I wanted psych, but I'd love neurology, my second choice" PS and PD email and hope for the best? I'd rather fill with a good doc who wanted a slightly different specialty than not fill or get someone much worse. This will probably only work for undesirable programs.

The potential problems with PS include explaining or not a weakness in a way that ends up hurting. Being overly metaphorical may appeal to some not others. Why psych being rooted in personal/family/friend not educational experiences with psychiatry. Trying to come across as having personality or strengths. Stating a narrow or broad interest. All of these can work for and against someone.

I agree that a bland PS of why psych, with bland interests (I like talking to patients, helping the vulnerable and playing guitar/baking) for a bland applicant (no bright red flags), would be a fine way to go. But if you read your PS and can imagine anyone second guessing it, why not try it two ways and see what happens. Especially if you're someone who needs to apply to 60 programs. Heck, you can even personally address why a specific program matches your interests. But I don't have time! Your investment of your time in individual PS will set you apart, save you time in writing beg emails to PDs, show that youre invested in the career and anything over.

All that goes to say: I've seen enough bad or at least bad to me PS in my life, as well as enough difference in opinion over the same PS, to say that unless it and you are very generic, rotating might overt disaster or at least mitigate bad outcome somewhat.

Fwiw, last year I wrote about a family member in my ps and was told at two big time programs my letter was one of the best they read all season. I don't think using that topic is an inherently bad idea.

Mm, having only one letter (and out of 4) from Psychiatry is a bit of a flag tbh.
I dunno about that. I was told consistently from multiple PDs one from a psychiatrist + other strong letters wouldnt be an issue. i only came across a handful of programs that require 2 from a psychiatrist and it hasn’t seemed to be an issue that only one of mine is psych. Could be that they had an unlucky draw of programs who cared though.
I passed Level 2 PE/CE both on first attempt and those were both submitted by October just a few days after my application had been submitted (I updated my score release). I think those backups are very good ideas that you have suggested. Over half of the programs I applied to fit 1/2 criteria from your above post.

Just so, they could have ignored my request. Either refuse, ignore, or elect to write. There were preceptors at the hospital I rotated at that had no problem refusing to write letters. Either way, they could have ignored my request.

Only one letter being from a psychiatrist out of the required three being a flag - that's news to me.
So you submitted after Sept 15? that could explain it.

Reactions: 2 users
Fwiw, last year I wrote about a family member in my ps and was told at two big time programs my letter was one of the best they read all season. I don't think using that topic is an inherently bad idea.

It's not inherently bad at all. However, it's not 100% bland and safe and depending on how you do it, it could be bad. Yours may have been great, but even there it will alienate a small number of alienists who think it's better to stay an arm's length from your most personal tragic experiences for career choice. I'm not saying that's the right or wrong idea, but I know people who have said they would never hire someone on a personal mission to cure a disease that affected them/their loved ones for objectivity reasons. Obviously many psychiatists don't care about this and would judge the PS on its other merits...but some might not.

Also, I matched just fine with 1/4 psych letters.

I’m wondering how many of y’all I’ve already seen on the trail… We should come up with a secret handshake or something lol

I’m wondering how many of y’all I’ve already seen on the trail… We should come up with a secret handshake or something lol
Hard to say. I will say I'm only interviewing in the midwest.

Has anyone heard anything at all about GME Sunrise? They're bringing in a second class so there should be something or someone out there who had details! Would really appreciate it.

It means they are probably ranking you.

Unless they send you a signed contract or something else that your lawyer will be able to extract a juicy settlement from if you don't match there, it means absolutely nothing.

"Ranked to match" "Top of our list" "We'll see you here next year" all mean nothing.

"We have ranked you x" might give your lawyer a shot if they didn't.
It means they are probably ranking you.

Unless they send you a signed contract or something else that your lawyer will be able to extract a juicy settlement from if you don't match there, it means absolutely nothing.

"Ranked to match" "Top of our list" "We'll see you here next year" all mean nothing.

"We have ranked you x" might give your lawyer a shot if they didn't.

Not that I disagree but I will say don’t underestimate rank to match letters. There are programs that send letters which truly mean you are guaranteed a spot if you rank them #1.

And yet every year dozens of candidates don't match at these places.

Reactions: 4 users
Not that I disagree but I will say don’t underestimate rank to match letters. There are programs that send letters which truly mean you are guaranteed a spot if you rank them #1.

That is true... but there are also PDs who lie; some less clearly by using the vague term "ranked to match" on everyone who might match and some blatently who say people are garunteed to match who don't. There is no way for any applicant to know what a particular program does, so no point in paying it any mind. And if they promise you anything special if you match, you better get that in writing.