Official 2019-2020 Psychiatry Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
85% get in their top 3 if you are a US grad. I believe this includes DO and Allopathic schools. I believe it changes significantly for IMGs and non-recent grads.

I think most places are finishing invites and now sending out clear rejections. A lot of you will be hanging without answers because strong applicants applying to 40 places will get 38 invites and can't do more than a dozen. So be good humans and get realistic about your interview trail and cancel interviews that you will not have the energy, time or money to go to so people can stop freaking out, and we can finish this dynamic process.
Applicants, if you are granted an interview in the second go around, don't be offended. Once invited you are on a fairly level playing field. Early invitees can schedule late and late invitees can jump in early. No one has the energy to keep track of when you were invited by the time selection committees meet to make decisions. An invitation is an invitation and this is a good thing. Never try and get into our heads and guess how much we like you. This is all about how much you like us and rank us that way. Keep it that simple or else you can only hurt yourselves.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
Never try and get into our heads and guess how much we like you. This is all about how much you like us and rank us that way. Keep it that simple or else you can only hurt yourselves.
We had a guy rotate with us who all the residents really liked. He wasn't the strongest applicant in terms of school rep or numbers and we're a pretty competitive program, so he wasn't in the initial invite pool. Eventually spots opened up and he received an invite, albeit late... and declined. Our PD seemed to think that he felt like we weren't serious since he wasn't in the first round(s) of invites. He likely would have matched with us if he had taken the invite and still wanted to go here (he seemed really serious about it being his top choice when rotating with us), given how strongly the residents would have advocated for him.

And as another data point--once you're invited, it's also a completely level field at our program, as well.

Reactions: 7 users
We don't elevate applicants on our rank list because they seem more likely to come. We rank them by how we see them in terms of talent and that is what the match is for. The rest is up to you guys. PDs who need ego stroking so they can brag about where on their list they fill only hurt themselves in terms of getting the best they can. This applies to applicants as well. Put the program you most want to go to first and put the program that is second second. You can always lie about getting your first choice later on. Anyone who is a jerk enough to ask about how well you matched deserves to be lied to anyway and trust me, no one cares fairly quickly.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Neurotic post ahead:
DO applicant, applied to 256 psych programs, at 10 invites. Mix of university and new community programs. Overapplied because I have below average scores 211/229 and 445/498. No other red flags. I am very grateful for what I have received thus far. It’s been a dry week. Should I expect any more invites from the trickle? The game isn’t over yet, right?

Reactions: 1 user
So there's really no disadvantage in interviewing late right? Got an invite from a program that I am in love with but had written off because they started sending interview invites so long ago. All of the earlier dates conflicted with other interviews or made it so that I would have to try to fit 5-6 interviews into a 2 week period, so I scheduled it in January where it fit easily. Did I put myself at a disadvantage here? I'm a DO and it's a pretty well known program if that matters.

So Americano12, this game isn't over yet, but if it happens to be over for you 10 is probably more than enough.

superfrogpoke, if they offered January dates, they are not going to raise any eyebrows that you took a January date. People have lives and many reasons to schedule things in different ways. Rank lists can be as long or as short as a program wants it to be. They will place you in their list where they think you fit and the list will be one person longer. No where is going to tell you; "you should have interviewed sooner, our rank list got filled up in the end of December".

Reactions: 4 users
In your experience, if you can say, how often has it happened where an institution has filled its seats with its top 6-10 ranks? (Assuming each seat ranked you number one)

I could die happy if that ever happened. Even the "best" programs don't do this because the best applicants interview at multiple "best" programs. Which program is the very best often depends on geography because there are a number of programs at the top. I think the programs that go down their lists the least are in states with one medical school and one program. They have the best shot at guessing who will want to stay.

Reactions: 2 users
I am only at 6 Interview invites currently. I did not get any interview invites this last week. So things are looking pretty grim, and I think I will be sending out LOIs tomorrow to a few programs. I guess my question is do I start applying IM or FM now as backups? There is a possibility that I may not match at this rate.

I am only at 5 as well and will be sending some LOIs this upcoming week. However, I think this number more common than you would think. Talking to residents at my program, most of them were at four or five right now when they looked back. Also, there are other factors to the match, not just raw numbers - do you have invites from aways or your home program or regional schools?

I was told by many residents this happens every year.

Idk, I'm at 11 myself and I don't know what I'm doing differently than everyone else.

I feel bad tbh.

I am only at 6 Interview invites currently. I did not get any interview invites this last week. So things are looking pretty grim, and I think I will be sending out LOIs tomorrow to a few programs. I guess my question is do I start applying IM or FM now as backups? There is a possibility that I may not match at this rate.

I believe with 6 invites you have a >80% chance of matching.

I am only at 5 as well and will be sending some LOIs this upcoming week. However, I think this number more common than you would think. Talking to residents at my program, most of them were at four or five right now when they looked back. Also, there are other factors to the match, not just raw numbers - do you have invites from aways or your home program or regional schools?
No invites from my aways, or regional, or home DO program. 8 invites to the rest of the country. Funny how that works out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've done this twice. Programs usually send invites to their top tier applicants earlier. Later on, they'll invite people to meet quota, so they won't go unfilled. The interviews can help us jump up a few spots on the rank list, but they are not make or break. A lot of it is based on your scores and such. Good luck!

This is not true. Interviews can easily ruin someone's chances (and in some cases, make someone jump many, many spots), especially in psychiatry. Anyone in academic medicine can tell you stories of actually seeing it happen.

Hey guys, been an observer for the padt few weeks but felt like its time fir a post. I applied to 55 programs, have less than stellar scores 226/209 on usmle. CV is kinda barebones. I beleive i have a strong personal statement and 3 good LORs. I got 2 rejections in the first week of October, since theb I've heard nothing. Kind of panicking over here. Any advice would be most welcome.

Hey guys! Long time lurker. As an IMG, how many interviews is "safe" to match? Also when do majority of psych programs start sending in their trickle of invites due to cancellations? Has it begun and when does it end?

Hey guys! Long time lurker. As an IMG, how many interviews is "safe" to match? Also when do majority of psych programs start sending in their trickle of invites due to cancellations? Has it begun and when does it end?
Usually between now and November.

Also, boards are NOT more important than the interview.

Hey guys, been an observer for the padt few weeks but felt like its time fir a post. I applied to 55 programs, have less than stellar scores 226/209 on usmle. CV is kinda barebones. I beleive i have a strong personal statement and 3 good LORs. I got 2 rejections in the first week of October, since theb I've heard nothing. Kind of panicking over here. Any advice would be most welcome.

Are you a USMD? Any red flags? Even with those board scores, I'd expect something, unless you only applied top tier?

Canadian IMG, no red flags I can think of. I didn't apply top tier, I knew my chances were bad there.

Neurotic post ahead:
DO applicant, applied to 256 psych programs, at 10 invites. Mix of university and new community programs. Overapplied because I have below average scores 211/229 and 445/498. No other red flags. I am very grateful for what I have received thus far. It’s been a dry week. Should I expect any more invites from the trickle? The game isn’t over yet, right?

How did you apply to 256 I only see 250 show up on eras??

Anyone interviewed recently at Centerstone Florida? Do you have to take a written test?
Same question for Charles R drew program in LA.

Canadian IMG, no red flags I can think of. I didn't apply top tier, I knew my chances were bad there.

As in Canadian citizen who went to school in Canada and is now applying in the U.S.? Or do you mean you're a Canadian citizen who went to a Caribbean/international school? There is something on your application that's causing programs to pause.

Does it terrify anyone else that you have to rank 20 programs to get a 100% chance of matching?

As in Canadian citizen who went to school in Canada and is now applying in the U.S.? Or do you mean you're a Canadian citizen who went to a Caribbean/international school? There is something on your application that's causing programs to pause.

Canadian who went to the Caribbean. I did just get my ecfmg certification a few days ago, i dont know if that might be a factor.

Canadian who went to the Caribbean. I did just get my ecfmg certification a few days ago, i dont know if that might be a factor.

So that's what's going on. You went to the Caribbean and you're Canadian. Do you have dual/American citizenship? Going Caribbean these days is a red flag on its own. Couple that with your low Step 2 and lack of American citizenship (?) and no personal statement or LOR is going to guarantee you an interview. Can you afford to add programs? It's late, but I think it's worth a shot.

Anyone interviewed recently at Centerstone Florida? Do you have to take a written test?
Same question for Charles R drew program in LA.
I interviewed at Centerstone and no you don’t. You can message me if you want any info about the interview day!

How did you apply to 256 I only see 250 show up on eras??
At the beginning of the season there were a total of 257 psych programs. Now on ERAS, the option is to “display all programs that are accepting applications” and those 7 programs probably aren’t accepting applications anymore.

Neurotic post ahead:
Gonna say this because you're doing OK (10 is a great number of invites) and more for applicants next year who may be reading this thread... But you wasted a bunch of money with that application strategy if you applied to literally every single program. There are many programs that flat out do not take DOs. And ones with literally one or two DOs in the past five years probably only take away rotators or people with otherwise exceptional applications. Given the increasing cost of applying to more and more programs you would have saved a not insignificant amount of money but cutting out the programs that haven't taken a DO in years, without changing your interview numbers at all.

I interviewed at Centerstone and no you don’t. You can message me if you want any info about the interview day!

I don't understand. Do some programs require a test these days? What type of test are we talking about?

So that's what's going on. You went to the Caribbean and you're Canadian. Do you have dual/American citizenship? Going Caribbean these days is a red flag on its own. Couple that with your low Step 2 and lack of American citizenship (?) and no personal statement or LOR is going to guarantee you an interview. Can you afford to add programs? It's late, but I think it's worth a shot.
Well that's just lovely.. I dont have dual citizenship, just plain old Canadian. I'll look into adding more thanks for the advice!

Does it terrify anyone else that you have to rank 20 programs to get a 100% chance of matching?

You will not have a 100% chance of matching even if you rank every program. I feel bad for applicants because the neuroticism is so unhealthy, but I also remember it from my application season.

I feel like any advice I give to counteract the neuroticism will be absolutely unhelpful and un-hearable right now. I just hope you can let go of the competitive neurotic mentality on match day at 12:01

Gonna say this because you're doing OK (10 is a great number of invites) and more for applicants next year who may be reading this thread... But you wasted a bunch of money with that application strategy if you applied to literally every single program. There are many programs that flat out do not take DOs. And ones with literally one or two DOs in the past five years probably only take away rotators or people with otherwise exceptional applications. Given the increasing cost of applying to more and more programs you would have saved a not insignificant amount of money but cutting out the programs that haven't taken a DO in years, without changing your interview numbers at all.
Absolutely good advice. I knew with this overapplying shotgun approach, I would be throwing out a bunch of money since at a certain point there are diminishing returns. However this strategy was just for my own insecurities.

Yes this is a big deal. Please contact programs to inform them you now have your ECFMG certification and would be excited to interview at their program. The visa thing is more of an issue in the Trump era than it ever was. If you are looking for an H1b visa you should have your step 3 but know that because of delays in recent years more programs are wary of taking H1B residents.

I started my residency at St Mary Mercy when it was a brand new program and left due to unfortunate changes which has now been corrected. I did my last two years at DMC(Sinai, Wayne State). If anyone wants input about either program please feel free to pm.. I graduated residency 2015

LOIs - a neurotic remnant of deep-rooted anxiety. Some postulate that the anxiety stems from the traumatic neurosis of the medical school application process. A process by which high-achievers are forced to humble themselves and beg to be invited to the country club that we call medicine...

Now, after four years of working diligently as a caddy (keeping up with my country club theme), some are still willing to throw themselves on their hands and knees. “Please, PLEASE invite me to interview!”

I’d rather be invited on my merits than to have to beg like a dog... but begging is what we are used to.

#fatiguedthoughts

LOIs - a neurotic remnant of deep-rooted anxiety. Some postulate that the anxiety stems from the traumatic neurosis of the medical school application process. A process by which high-achievers are forced to humble themselves and beg to be invited to the country club that we call medicine...

Now, after four years of working diligently as a caddy (keeping up with my country club theme), some are still willing to throw themselves on their hands and knees. “Please, PLEASE invite me to interview!”

I’d rather be invited on my merits than to have to beg like a dog... but begging is what we are used to.

#fatiguedthoughts

This should be a line in the prequel in the House of God

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 users

#fatiguedthoughts

The great irony here is that you have the opportunity to make your case for why you are a good fit for a particular program *when you apply* and to mitigate risk of a bad LOR or PS by having more than the minimum and varying what program gets which. You can also save a ton of money by only applying to programs that you have a chance at...

... and yet every year, people aren't proactive and then end up freaking out. This leads to sending reactionary LOIs (which may or may not be helpful depending on if you were otherwise competitive, the PD is open and not bombarded with them and you convey something specific to you and the program). Wherever you are in the process, be thoughtful and thorough and do your best. When you fall short, work harder to make up for it. Stay focused on the process, not on the results.

Also, I know that there are other occupations with less nonsense than medicine, but pretty much everyone who wants to get paid approaching their worth and get promoted has to work a system.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have any insight into the Palm Beach Consortium psych program? Thanks!

I would like insight for 3 programs please:
1. Harlem Hospital
2. Howard University Hospital
3. Nassau University Hospital

I am also told that Howard has an essay to write as part of their interview process. What does this entail?

Does anyone know how good the UCLA Geffen School of Medicine Program is?

How do you know if you’re interviewing well or not?

I understand practicing beforehand, having answers prepped but not robotic, carrying a normal conversation, showing enthusiasm, not being awkward, being a person people can spend time with for the next four years, etc..

Any insight into this?

How do you know if you’re interviewing well or not?

I understand practicing beforehand, having answers prepped but not robotic, carrying a normal conversation, showing enthusiasm, not being awkward, being a person people can spend time with for the next four years, etc..

Any insight into this?
You don't, but usually you can tell if they're engaged if they're having a conversation with you and aren't just sitting there waiting for their questions to be answered.

Reactions: 3 users
You don't, but usually you can tell if they're engaged if they're having a conversation with you and aren't just sitting there waiting for their questions to be answered.

Does that mean it’s bad if the conversation just falls short? I’m very straight to the point so I answered the questions concisely and the interviews usually ended early. There was usually a pause between questions. I’m okay with silence but I’m not sure about the interviewers.

Really, you just can't tell. Concise is good. Personable is great.

I have heard people are very poor judges of their interview performances. We often do better than we think we do actually. I think the best course of action is to be yourself. Not everyone is a huge talker and that is not a bad thing!

I imagine one can judge their interview performance roughly by their med school interview:acceptance ratio.

How is it possible that there are several programs that have not sent out any invites??? Does anybody know?