Official 2014 Rank Order List & "Help Me Rank" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can't tell you the pros and cons of BIMC and Downstate, but as far as reputation goes, BIMC definitely has a better reputation than Downstate.

Thanks Jno. Good to know. I heard that Downstate was the center of psychoanalytic thought in Brooklyn back in the day, but none of my professors knew much about it. I'm intrigued by Downstate's elective working with sex offenders in a forensic unit, but I'm not going to base my choice on one elective.

Members don't see this ad.

Howdy folks. I'm a long time lurker looking for some help with my rank list of programs around NYC. I'm looking to do a fellowship in Child and Adolescent psychiatry, and would like the strongest academics possible. I know very little about SUNY Downstate, and would love to hear your thoughts.

Here are the programs I'm having a little trouble ranking. I'm particularly interested in the pros/cons of BIMC vs. Downstate, and how they're regarded in the psych community. Thanks!

1. Beth Israel (NYC)
2. SUNY Downstate
3. Staten Island
4. Westchester Medical Center
5. Harlem Hospital

I wasn't familiar with the Harlem hospital program until you brought it up. Very interesting--I see it has it's own child psych fellowship. That has to give you a lot of satisfaction working with an underserved child population.

Why don't you do the future applicants the favor of reviewing these largely unreviewed programs. I think its a shame that the FMG applicant sdn usership is more about lurking and asking questions than contributing commentary and reviews. Although I could speculatively understand some possible reasons for this, it is, incidentally, what scares American grads away from the exclusively FMG programs on your list--a resident culture that is disempowered by lacking the basic security of citizenship.

Whereas a spoiled American grad is comfortable saying the following:

BIMC has the best reputation. It's residents are diverse, interesting, friendly people. It's faculty are solid. I think they have a fine track record of placing their child psych applicants from what I remember. It has enough academic personnel to round out your clinical education but not enough to be impressive in comparison to the the big 4 in NYC. This more of a concern for fellowship and networking into those spots if you want to stay in a specific location. Psych fellowships are obtainable to just about anyone interested. My home hospital is FMG-centric and is probably similar to the Harlem hospital program and we just placed psych grads into Pitt and Yale fellowships just that I know of. So I wouldn't worry too much about fellowship placement. I really liked their C/L faculty a lot.

What I didn't like about BIMC is their drab, grungy housing, my uninspiring encounter with the chairman and the PD, the fact that I couldn't vouch for any of the non-c/l faculty, the fact that the hospital director is against moonlighting and you have to sneak around as a 4th year to get it in, the mandatory research project under the auspices of some russian neuropsych guy who seems a little too serious about it for my taste.

It has a great patient population and a very interesting location. The benefits are decent the pay is decent. I think if I didn't like the c/l faculty and the residents so much they would have dropped out of contention for me entirely. But as such they have just enough location and patient population draw to be in the bottom of my top third.

I gave serious thought to applying to downstate because I like Brooklyn. But, I just don't trust an all FMG house staff. Call me a xenophobe. But be specific and note me as a risk-averse-when-it-comes-to-gambling-on-my-entire-career xenophobe.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Why don't you do the future applicants the favor of reviewing these largely unreviewed programs. I think its a shame that the FMG applicant sdn usership is more about lurking and asking questions than contributing commentary and reviews.
This is not an FMG thing. It's a medical student thing.

You will find that there are only a handful of posters submitting the vast majority of reviews but the "look at where I matched!" thread always gets great traffic. And I haven't noticed a trend in country of origin.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

You will find that there are only a handful of posters submitting the vast majority of reviews but the "look at where I matched!" thread always gets great traffic. And I haven't noticed a trend in country of origin.

Well. Let's review a few qausi pseudofacts that have arisen from my subconscious. The applicant pool for psych has a huge portion of fmg's. The same, largely, all American review posters post about the same programs every year with the occasional novel guest appearance.

I see a point here. One way over there. And I just connect that ****. Cause I'm gangsta. What can I say.

Reactions: 1 users
Howdy folks. I'm a long time lurker looking for some help with my rank list of programs around NYC. I'm looking to do a fellowship in Child and Adolescent psychiatry, and would like the strongest academics possible. I know very little about SUNY Downstate, and would love to hear your thoughts.

I interviewed at SUNY Downstate but not BIMC so can't really compare those two but I just reviewed SUNY downstate in the interview review thread. I think SUNY Downstate has some good things to offer--inpatient child psych, research opportunities, it's the only university program in Brooklyn, the homeless outreach program and variety in training sites. The only thing that really turned me off was a bad interview experience with the PD and another one of my interviewers. However, the residents said their PD was responsive to issues and resolved problems, ie being overworked on medicine, quickly.

@Nasrudin @notdeadyet Touche. I used to post a lot under a different username (mostly about my home school for applicants), but the residency application process has me worrying about having a traceable web presence. I know it's a little paranoid, but this just feels safer.

I also find myself getting upset reading about all the wonderful programs I where I was NOT invited to interview, and I've been staying off SDN to appease the green eyed monster. It's not particularly noble, but it's self preservation.

A little bit about the programs that I imagine are frequently overlooked:

For what it's worth, the residents I met at Downstate seemed quite happy, and they were a mix of AMG and IMG, including at least one resident who had gone to medical school at Downstate. I liked the PD, and I was excited that he offers training in CBT for psychosis - something I'd like to learn. One of the selling points was that the program offers rotation in county, state and federal medical centers - Kings County, State and the VA, which should offer a good variety of experiences. The architecture of the inpatient units was surprisingly modern - a resident said they had been renovated within the last 5 years. I don't think they have a child unit, but they have a busy ED and CPEP.

Staten Island is a brand new program and only has two residents per year. The PD and faculty seemed enthusiastic, and were working to design an unusual seemingly literature based curriculum. Although the patient population is not terribly diverse, they do have a large opioid treatment program, and a significant population of patients with chronic psychotic disorders which makes things interesting. Architecturally, it was about average, but there's a shiny new education center which sure was pretty. It was hard to get a feel for how the residents liked the program, but I found it to be a pleasant surprise.

Harlem Hospital left the applicants sitting in an over heated room for over an hour on interview day (and without coffee!), and I found the day to be disorganized and confusing. I didn't find it to be a good experience, but they do have an affiliation with Columbia and their didactics take place at there.

Reactions: 2 users

A number of us posted anonymous reviews. I posted a long one.

Makes me think I should post future reviews with my screenname lest people assume I only ask for advice and don't contribute. Sometimes I also wander to the pre-med discussions and give my perspective there, as a means of contributing. I hate to come off as a user, as I'm so grateful for all the advice here.

No, I'm not FMG, but just sayin...

Would anyone be able to give insight into Cleveland Clinic vs. UH Case Western? I can see from most of the posts that people tend to regard Cleveland Clinic as a stronger program but I wanted to know why people do not think highly of UH Case. If anyone who has interviewed at both programs or who know any info about them could comment, it would be greatly appreciated.

Would anyone be able to give insight into Cleveland Clinic vs. UH Case Western? I can see from most of the posts that people tend to regard Cleveland Clinic as a stronger program but I wanted to know why people do not think highly of UH Case. If anyone who has interviewed at both programs or who know any info about them could comment, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm pretty sure those very same posts discussed the reasons why. Just read this thread from start to finish and you'll find your answer. There are also reviews of these programs on the review thread discussing the same things.

Reactions: 3 users
Please help . Rank. Pros. Cons.
Hartford Hospital, Brown, Einstein Montefiore, Dartmouth

Loved Dartmouth ,but unsure because of distance from where I want to be. Hartford and Einstein have best location for me.

Why don't you do the future applicants the favor of reviewing these largely unreviewed programs. I think its a shame that the FMG applicant sdn usership is more about lurking and asking questions than contributing commentary and reviews.

This is not true. Both myself and another very frequent and helpful poster are IMG's.

This is not true. Both myself and another very frequent and helpful poster are IMG's.

I retract the statement.

I still wonder why there is a cannon of heavily discussed programs and then a large group of programs never discussed. There is some process of self selection for using this medium. And one more concentric inner circle of those that help author it. I'm being provocative only to widen that inner circle.

People here always say there's not that many malignant programs in psych. And I think with the active membership we're actually tapping into we have no basis for that. It seems we have a 16th century map of the known psych universe. Large portions of which are unknown. Whatever the reasons for that are I'm curious about them.

I retract the statement.

I still wonder why there is a cannon of heavily discussed programs and then a large group of programs never discussed. There is some process of self selection for using this medium. And one more concentric inner circle of those that help author it. I'm being provocative only to widen that inner circle.

People here always say there's not that many malignant programs in psych. And I think with the active membership we're actually tapping into we have no basis for that. It seems we have a 16th century map of the known psych universe. Large portions of which are unknown. Whatever the reasons for that are I'm curious about them.

Well, I'm not sure if it answers your question, but there is another forum - http://www.usmleforum.com/files/forum/2013/4/749270.php - they have a large following and often discuss some less popular programs. I can't account for why this is other than the offensive color scheme...

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is last minute…I have posted earlier but did not field specific replies. I am wondering about the top of my list -- Cambridge Health Alliance CHA vs. Brown vs. UCSD vs Harbor-UCLA. My current interests include CAP, women's mental health, outpatient, psychotherapy but I am open to potential career options (as interests throughout medical school have definitely changed).
About me: I am single, female, from New England but have extended family in SoCal, bar life not important but work life balance is important, hobbies include running/cycling & racing, traveling/sight-seeing...

Wow--that is one SAD website.

Yeah, I used it a bit when I was in med school, but it's just painful. There are also a couple of others.

In general, SDN has developed a culture that attracts American med students. The pre-med forums and med school forums focus most on American issues, so international students don't end up here. And discussions happen in very well-developed English (unless you're vistaril), which can be difficult for a person for whom English is not a first language... you'll notice very different levels of English proficiency on the FMG-focused forums. The FMG-focused forums are also designed more with the idea of discussing strategies for matching in the US as an FMG and doing well on the USMLE despite not having a USMLE-focused education in med school, so FMGs are more attracted to those specific forums. There's also a Caribbean-focused forum, which was built more for the purpose of discussing Caribbean-specific issues (i.e. reputations of different schools, strategies for matching in the US as a Carib grad), so because Carib students end up on that forum, you see fewer of them on SDN. As a result of these and many other factors, SDN has a much smaller IMG user base.

Although I'm also an IMG, none of the above factors affected me... English is my best language, I spent several years in the US before going to med school, I didn't go to the Caribbean, and I did go to med school in a country that is pretty similar to the US (Australia). So I ended up mostly on SDN because its culture attracted me more than the other websites. I'm sure that similar things are true for the other IMGs on SDN. But the reason why you don't see IMGs posting on SDN is because most of them have other websites that are more focused on serving their needs.

I wasn't aware that there was a siphoning off an entire segment of our potential usership to other websites. But it makes perfect sense that different needs and focuses would seek their own level.

That explains a lot about the more narrow program focus.

Cheers.

I know this is last minute…I have posted earlier but did not field specific replies. I am wondering about the top of my list -- Cambridge Health Alliance CHA vs. Brown vs. UCSD vs Harbor-UCLA. My current interests include CAP, women's mental health, outpatient, psychotherapy but I am open to potential career options (as interests throughout medical school have definitely changed).
About me: I am single, female, from New England but have extended family in SoCal, bar life not important but work life balance is important, hobbies include running/cycling & racing, traveling/sight-seeing...

You're from New England, like outpatient work and psychotherapy, and work-life balance is important to you. There is no doubt in my mind that you should rank CHA at the top. You could probably cycle to work too if you choose to live close enough, and avoid the infamous traffic! I'm not sure about the other three though.

St. Louis is a great program and a very nice city to raise a family etc, but as a single female, I might not get to meet a lot of people in Missouri as I would in NYC, but that's just my opinion.
You only need to meet 1.

I'm not the most experienced person in this department, but I've never agreed with the rationale that "I'm in this big city because there are more [job opportunities, single people, or any other competitive scene]. Yes, NYC/Chicago/LA will have a larger quantity of singles and a larger quantity of job opportunities for a significant other. But they'll also have a larger amount of competition for those opportunities. The overall ratio of single males:females and the ratio of jobs:applicants will be similar... if anything, you might have a favorable ratio in St. Louis, since the competition generally isn't as fierce. Also, in St. Louis you're likely to live in a relatively well-educated neighborhood, which is likely to increase your chances of meeting a compatible person... in NYC, you won't be able to live in an area like that on a resident's salary, which will limit your ability to interact with people who are intellectually compatible with you.

UCSD will reasonably cover your interests so could easily vie for the #2 spot unless Brown is as awesome (have no idea and I love SD!). Harbor-UCLA could sit pretty at #4.

Iowa has a great program IMO, with great resources for research as well. Ranking it below Utah or Maryland does not make sense to me.

It certainly makes sense if the person would rather be in Utah or Maryland than Iowa. One could just as easily say "Ranking Maryland below Iowa does not make sense to me".

In terms of job prospects, if there is going to be a difference between these programs(doubtful), it would likely be to what geographic region one searches in for a job after residency. If I was picking between these programs and honestly didn't have a preference, I would just pick based on where I thought I would look for work after residency. If someone wants to settle in mid atlantic area, for example, that may give Md an edge. Hiring people may look at someone who trained all the way across the country as someone less likely to stick for the longterm.

I agree with StECT and jno - Cambridge seems like the best fit for your interests (both in and outside psychiatry). The other 3 choices are excellent ones too, you'll definitely be well trained at any of your top 4. It may come down to more outside factors like which city you prefer. I may be wrong but my impression is that UCSD and Harbor have higher clinical volume, and that SoCal in general has more of a psychopharm bent, but you'll be able to do what you want and develop how you want at any of these programs.

You only need to meet 1.

I'm not the most experienced person in this department, but I've never agreed with the rationale that "I'm in this big city because there are more [job opportunities, single people, or any other competitive scene]. Yes, NYC/Chicago/LA will have a larger quantity of singles and a larger quantity of job opportunities for a significant other. But they'll also have a larger amount of competition for those opportunities. The overall ratio of single males:females and the ratio of jobs:applicants will be similar... if anything, you might have a favorable ratio in St. Louis, since the competition generally isn't as fierce. Also, in St. Louis you're likely to live in a relatively well-educated neighborhood, which is likely to increase your chances of meeting a compatible person... in NYC, you won't be able to live in an area like that on a resident's salary, which will limit your ability to interact with people who are intellectually compatible with you.
that's actually very true. never thought of it that way. thanks shan :)

MGH >> Columbia > UCLA-Semel

That's how I would rank them. Harvard MGH has incredible resources with the creme de la creme reputation that will open huge doors for you. The program will let you cater your training in so many ways, and will give you access to leaders and pioneers in psychiatry.

The thing you should be cautious of at UCLA-Semel is something that isn't talked about much. In West LA and Beverly Hills you have extremely sensitive and litiginous-conscious families of patients. What residents face are families and/or patients bringing their lawyers with them, and suddenly the resident is caught in a patient-lawyer-doctor relationship at every turn. The result is tons of paperwork, and an annoying fear that a few residents have talked about.

Columbia is great program overall.

By the way, you're going to work really hard at all three. I warned you.

As a resident at UCLA-Semel, I can assure you the above is completely untrue -- our patients and their families are no more litigious than average (maybe even less though). I would say, however, that families (and other interested parties) are involved in patient care to a much higher degree than what I was accustomed to previously. I do spend a good deal of time updating, coordinating after-care and discussing treatment options with family members and sometimes even personal assistants/managers (this is LA, afterall). I have gotten much better, however, at cutting these discussions down to 15-20 minutes maximum. With very few exceptions, family members (and other interested parties) have been nothing but courteous and respectful to me and our team. I have never been threatened with a lawsuit at UCLA -- other rotation sites (Harbor, WLA-VA), yes, but not the main UCLA hospital that is being discussed.

Last edited:
Okay, another last-minute Lucy looking for the helpful advice of colleagues. I'm having a tough time choosing between my top 2, UC San Diego and UW. They're both West Coast, which I prefer, but couldn't be any more different with regard to climate or culture. My husband has good career prospects in either place and has deferred all decision-making responsibility to me. I really liked both programs and could see myself fitting in well at either place. Coming from a place that can get really hot, I actually prefer milder, less sunny places, but I worry that Seattle could possible get too dreary. I do want to end up on the West Coast after residency and would like to attend the program that would open the most doors in that region.

San Diego has stellar faculty (I mean it's hard to beat Stahl), huge NIH money (although I'm not particularly research-focused), and a really positive vibe. Seattle also has great faculty, but I'm not sure if they're as well-known. The program is also a little larger, which could really go either way, and the residents are friendly but a little reserved (cue rumors of the dreaded 'Seattle freeze'). I did like that UCSD offers free therapy to their residents for a year. I don't remember if UW does or not? I'm also not really sure about how the call schedules compare or moonlighting, etc. I've found that there are so many things that I didn't really think about when I interviewed. Ugh. Anyway, feel free to offer some solicited advice.

It certainly makes sense if the person would rather be in Utah or Maryland than Iowa.

Clearly you hadn't read the post with the original ranking question. I was actually responding to another person's suggestion who was also responding to another person's suggestion without reading the original question that mentioned safety, quality of life outside training and decent reputation as the most important factors for ranking, with no geographical preferences whatsoever.

So, the suggestion of ranking Iowa (low workload in a safe city) lower than Utah (average workload in a safe city) and Maryland (heavy workload in a crime-infested city) did not make sense to me.

Last edited:
Okay, another last-minute Lucy looking for the helpful advice of colleagues. I'm having a tough time choosing between my top 2, UC San Diego and UW. They're both West Coast, which I prefer, but couldn't be any more different with regard to climate or culture. My husband has good career prospects in either place and has deferred all decision-making responsibility to me. I really liked both programs and could see myself fitting in well at either place. Coming from a place that can get really hot, I actually prefer milder, less sunny places, but I worry that Seattle could possible get too dreary. I do want to end up on the West Coast after residency and would like to attend the program that would open the most doors in that region.

San Diego has stellar faculty (I mean it's hard to beat Stahl), huge NIH money (although I'm not particularly research-focused), and a really positive vibe. Seattle also has great faculty, but I'm not sure if they're as well-known. The program is also a little larger, which could really go either way, and the residents are friendly but a little reserved (cue rumors of the dreaded 'Seattle freeze'). I did like that UCSD offers free therapy to their residents for a year. I don't remember if UW does or not? I'm also not really sure about how the call schedules compare or moonlighting, etc. I've found that there are so many things that I didn't really think about when I interviewed. Ugh. Anyway, feel free to offer some solicited advice.

I think there are some similarities between UW and UCSD and there are several residents at UW who went to UCSD for medschool and I know residents at UCSD who ranked UW 2nd and there is a resident who transferred from UCSD to UW (not for any shady reasons). both are large academic programs, both have seasoned program directors (sid zisook and deb cowley are both highly respected in the field and both also have had significant research careers in their own right which is unusual for PDs these days). both will give you great training. UCSD is more biologically oriented as a research institution than UW where the focus is on health services research and consultation-liaison psychiatry. UW has some academic heavyweights including the new chair Jurgen Unutzer (integrated care), Wayne Katon(collaborative care, somatoform disorders), Rick Ries (addictions), Chris Varley (ADHD), Jack McLellan (childhood schizophrenia), Bryan King (autism), Marsha Linehan (DBT/suicidal behaviors), and some of the emeritus faculty still involved in teaching and recruiting residents into private practice like Peter Roy-Byrne (panic/anxiety disorders) and Dave Dunner (who invented bipolar II and the concept of rapid cycling).

I find it strange you mention Stahl since he's sort of everything that's wrong with psychiatry and I'm pretty sure his affiliation is fairly loose but UCSD actually has some serious and well-known researchers like the chair Lewis Judd (mood disorders and former NIH director; he is sort of ailing now), Hagop Akiskal (bipolar), Dilip Jeste (geriatrics), Murray Stein (anxiety d/o), Joel Dimsdale (somatoform disorders) and the PD is an authority of bereavement and persistent grief himself.

San Diego used to have the best hospice program in the country that was affiliated with UCSD but it has sadly gone under which is a great shame as they also offered the only palliative psychiatry fellowship in the world.

Although often seen as more biological than its counterparts, I think UCSD has good psychotherapy training but there is certainly more of an emphasis on this at UW (surprisingly though not on the level of east-coast programs) and from what I hear the patient load is much heavier at UCSD as is the call burden. Obviously the weather is much nicer in San Diego. I don't think the Seattle weather is as bad as people make out (there are sunny days even in the winter, and the summers are gorgeous and well appreciated) but there are lightboxes in the call rooms which might say something.

There is a soft-mandatory requirement at UW for residents to have at least 6months of psychotherapy and there is a list of therapists who provide free psychotherapy, and they can see you free for the rest of residency if you agree that with them. otherwise your insurance usually covers it and most therapists will waive the co-pay for residents. some people just choose to see someone through their insurance out of paranoia of seeing someone on the clinical faculty, and the co-pay is about $20 in that case. There is also T-group all 4 years (one of the few programs that does it all 4 years) I'm not sure how long it is at UCSD but I think they have a process group for 1-3 years?

it doesn't sound like you have any strong preference though if you like sunshine, are interested in biological psychiatry, or working with a latino population then UCSD is probably where it's at. If you are interested in health services research, are a vampire, want the county experience, or interested in being a consultant in medical settings and the primary care-psychiatry interface then UW is where it's at. otherwise flip a coin.

San Diego has stellar faculty (I mean it's hard to beat Stahl),....
Spend 30 minutes in a room with him and tell me if you still feel that way.

Both UW and UCSD are great programs. Great leadership at both places (I really love Sid Zisook). I would consider these programs comparable enough to choose based on geography, both in terms of where you want to spend 4 years and where you're thinking of settling down (both areas have a tendency to suck people in).

I would happily attend UCSD despite Stahl, not because of him. I don't know how much he actually does at UCSD, but he is very into his brand and you'll see his name thrown around by lots of organizations and such.

I'm pretty sure those very same posts discussed the reasons why. Just read this thread from start to finish and you'll find your answer. There are also reviews of these programs on the review thread discussing the same things.
Just reread some of those posts and I'm not seeing people giving much in the way of reasons. I'm genuinely curious about this as well. When I was interviewing just a couple of years ago, UH/Case Western had a significantly better reputation as a residency program than Cleveland Clinic. What has changed in just those few short years? Are people just being taken in by the Cleveland Clinic "name?" Because having a high US News ranking as a hospital doesn't necessarily translate into having a good residency program in a particular specialty.

Do people like Stahl actually see patients?

can someone explain why this guy is so controversial? I googled him and all the came up was a book he wrote on psychopharm...just curious

can someone explain why this guy is so controversial? I googled him and all the came up was a book he wrote on psychopharm...just curious

I don't think discussing the answer to this question would be appropriate for public websites like this.

I agree with StECT and jno - Cambridge seems like the best fit for your interests (both in and outside psychiatry). The other 3 choices are excellent ones too, you'll definitely be well trained at any of your top 4. It may come down to more outside factors like which city you prefer. I may be wrong but my impression is that UCSD and Harbor have higher clinical volume, and that SoCal in general has more of a psychopharm bent, but you'll be able to do what you want and develop how you want at any of these programs.

The psychopharm bent really applies to UCSD, not to UCLA-Harbor as much. UCLA has a more balanced approach. If you have family in SoCal, then I'd strongly consider going there for the great social support and weather. And yes, they do have high clinical volume.

Having a difficult time with these programs, how would you rank? Location does not matter:

1. North Shore Long Island Jewish
2. Beth Israel - NYC
3. State University of New York Downstate
4. NYU
5. University of Virginia
6. Boston university
7. Tufts
8. University of mass

It took me a lot of time and effort to decide on my rank list including doing multiple second looks (one of these programs ended up near the bottom though which was a bummer). But I'm having some last minute jitters and I guess I could use some validation. Do you guys think my rank list looks good? Sorry the locations are pretty scattered. I'm looking for good quality training and education over everything else.

Last edited:
Do you guys think my rank list looks good?

Yes, it looks very good.

It took me a lot of time and effort to decide on my rank list including doing multiple second looks (one of these programs ended up near the bottom though which was a bummer).

Why is that a bummer? Aren't you glad you learned about the problems with that program now rather than after you started the residency? Anyway, can you share which program this is for the benefit of others?

Yes, it looks very good.

Thank you jno!

Why is that a bummer? Aren't you glad you learned about the problems with that program now rather than after you started the residency? Anyway, can you share which program this is for the benefit of others?

I wish I could but I don't think I can do that without revealing my identity (since not many people do second looks). Sorry!

I don't think discussing the answer to this question would be appropriate for public websites like this.

Well then I guess we can just continue to maintain the status quo of always mentioning his name with nebulous statements implying he's a douchebag but never tackle any of the issues underlying what's supposedly wrong with this guy's work.

Oh my... I can't finish it. The cringe, it hurts.

It took me a lot of time and effort to decide on my rank list including doing multiple second looks (one of these programs ended up near the bottom though which was a bummer). But I'm having some last minute jitters and I guess I could use some validation. Do you guys think my rank list looks good? Sorry the locations are pretty scattered. I'm looking for good quality training and education over everything else.

1. Duke
2. WashU
3. Mayo
4. Cleveland Clinic
5. HSS
6. Indiana
7. Hennepin County
8. Case Western
9. Georgetown
10. OHSU
11. MCW
12. NYMC

Your #2-6 is almost identical to my top few, except that I had Iowa at #4 and I think I put Florida above Indiana. I ended up at WashU, and I was glad that I didn't apply to Duke, since I might have made the mistake of ranking it above WashU. Of course, everybody is different, but if you can tell me a bit about your specific thoughts, I might be able to give you some good reasons to consider flipping your top 2. But regardless, I think you'll end up matching at a place that will make you happy... your top 7 choices are all great places to train IMO.

I'm thinking of ranking a particular program as my number 2. Problem is, I interviewed there very early in the season and I haven't been in communication with the program since. Should I write an email to them to let them know I plan on ranking them highly? Should I take the lack of communication from their end as a bad sign?

1. Duke
2. WashU
3. Mayo
4. Cleveland Clinic
5. HSS
6. Indiana
7. Hennepin County
8. Case Western
9. Georgetown
10. OHSU
11. MCW
12. NYMC

I interviewed at 3 of the programs on your list, and had them in the same order (Duke, HSS, Case Western). I cancelled IV's at a number of these programs owing to limited IV time, and being convinced about my number 1 and 2 early on in the IV season. Based on subsequently accumulated impressions, such as they are, I think you have done a great job with this list!

Last edited:
Don't sweat it now. You maybe could have sent an email about a month ago, but I would not do it with one day left before rank lists are in.

People get matched all the time under the exact same circumstances (early interview, no subsequent contact). Really, there shouldn't need to be any subsequent contact except for the applicant to clear up a question.

thanks for the reply!

I agree with SmallBird, Shan and jno. I think you have done a great job with this list too.

Last edited:
Your #2-6 is almost identical to my top few, except that I had Iowa at #4 and I think I put Florida above Indiana. I ended up at WashU, and I was glad that I didn't apply to Duke, since I might have made the mistake of ranking it above WashU. Of course, everybody is different, but if you can tell me a bit about your specific thoughts, I might be able to give you some good reasons to consider flipping your top 2. But regardless, I think you'll end up matching at a place that will make you happy... your top 7 choices are all great places to train IMO.

Thank you shan564!