Official 2015-2016: LizzyM <70 thread

Started by kilez12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I need patience, help me guys!!!
I should hear back from two of my schools by Thanksgiving, Drexel probably in December.
I just want some encouraging news from somewhere.

Now I'm looking at blowing money on applying to more schools that don't have secondary essays and just throwing my hat into the ring.
I'm just frustrated over this constant silence :/ I also want to really hear from a few schools in particular that I haven't yet (PSU, Temple, Wake Forest...) but no such luck. When should I give up hope on these schools?

Yes, I know I have 5 II already, but I want to be sure I'm going to a school that is the best fit for me, and the only way I'll ever know that is to interview at as many schools as possible.
The poster child for application anonymous, a new kind of AA 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello friends!

I hope you will accept me into this group (LizzyM just at 70). I have been following you all for the past few months and it has really helped me stay sane. I hope by posting here, I can contribute to this amazing thread and give hope/comfort to others!

WA resident, ORM
LizzyM 70
MD II: 4 (UW, Tulane, RWJMS, and OUWB)
Misc: Mayo LOR request! (Yes, I actually count this as a major achievement in my cycle. No shame!)
Rejections & holds: tons!
Silences: even more!

Wishing us all so much luck in these upcoming months!! :luck:
 
Update for good luck

2 II, yielded one rejection and one waitlist (wasn't too bummed, it was a top 20)
Rejections: keck, Tulane, gtown, uniformed,

Complete late July everywhere

Lizzy 69 ish

But yeah keep the good vibes flowing all! This season runs for a long time don't give up the hope!
 
How many of your five interviews have you attended thus far?

While I agree that fit is incredibly important to picking a school, I have to say that I have definitely been able to see myself at each school MD that I've interviewed at. This is to say: I believe that each schools ADCOMS actually do a pretty good job of vetting applicants for qualifications and more importantly fit before inviting for interview.

For me - I will have a tough time choosing between multiple acceptances if it does come to that. However, I can safely say I would be happy at any of the schools I have interviewed at thus far; each one has its specific strengths. While everyone hopes for the "perfect program" there may not be such a thing in every aspect.

Have any of the schools that you've interviewed at seem like a less than optimum fit? Perhaps you're psyching yourself out a bit? I know the "fear of missing" out on the perfect fit can be pretty difficult to dispel, but you can find things to love about any program! 🙂

EDIT: Whoops! Meant to quote Ciestar and not Coldcase in my original post.

Ive attended 3. I would happily attend two of them for various reasons so i can totally see what you mean there. My interview tomorrow is the farthest from home so i can already see how traveling can be draining. Hoping this school was well worth the drive! (Already sensing it will be).

Im thinking once i have an acceptance in hand and not just 5 II and radio silence, i wont feel as crazy. Should know from two places in a few weeks!
 
Feeling a bit heartbroken today after being waitlisted by the DO school I interviewed at. So far, both of my interviews (1 MD, 1 DO) have landed me a spot on the alternate list. Only a couple more schools I haven't heard from. :/
 
Feeling a bit heartbroken today after being waitlisted by the DO school I interviewed at. So far, both of my interviews (1 MD, 1 DO) have landed me a spot on the alternate list. Only a couple more schools I haven't heard from. :/


There will be movement in the waiting list. You may send an update letter or LOI later as well. Good luck!
 
Feeling a bit heartbroken today after being waitlisted by the DO school I interviewed at. So far, both of my interviews (1 MD, 1 DO) have landed me a spot on the alternate list. Only a couple more schools I haven't heard from. :/

It's a sucky feeling to be waitlisted for sure 🙁 I'm waitlisted 3/3 so far and it does not feel good. Especially if you loved the school. But I suppose at some point we'll learn to just surrender ourselves to this process...even if it feels like we potentially may not get off any waitlists...
 
It's a sucky feeling to be waitlisted for sure 🙁 I'm waitlisted 3/3 so far and it does not feel good. Especially if you loved the school. But I suppose at some point we'll learn to just surrender ourselves to this process...even if it feels like we potentially may not get off any waitlists...
Eventually we will have a 2015 waitlist support thread..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Friends, here is an update!

LizzyM ~68

10 II (can't believe)
---> 2 waitlist + 1 acceptance (!) so far; waiting to hear back from 3 post-interview
silence from 10 more schools

This is just to say that much more than numbers goes in to this process! I honestly think my personal statement and EC descriptions are really making me stand out.

Best of luck to all of you!!! You're all rockstars
 
Hey, guys, just wanted to update my little stack of data points/say hello. Hello!

LizzyM 68-69
Non-Trad
Described by my advisor and one adcom (to my face) as the most "interesting" application they'd ever seen. Application. Not applicant. Probably not a compliment. So, fellow oddballs, this one's for you:

34 MD applications
3 rejections (post secondary, pre-II)
10 IIs
Withdrew from 3 pre-interview
1 waitlist (will not accept)
3 acceptances

Waiting to hear back from one interview, two more interviews coming. Very thankful to have had such a great experience this cycle.
 
Hey, guys, just wanted to update my little stack of data points/say hello. Hello!

LizzyM 68-69
Non-Trad
Described by my advisor and one adcom (to my face) as the most "interesting" application they'd ever seen. Application. Not applicant. Probably not a compliment. So, fellow oddballs, this one's for you:

34 MD applications
3 rejections (post secondary, pre-II)
10 IIs
Withdrew from 3 pre-interview
1 waitlist (will not accept)
3 acceptances

Waiting to hear back from one interview, two more interviews coming. Very thankful to have had such a great experience this cycle.
Congrats! I've seen you around and I've been rooting for you. Glad to see a fellow oddball having some major success!
 
I also just want to ask you all your opinions about something:
My state school has two different campuses with two separate and autonomous admissions committees. They claim they don't communicate among themselves, but I was rejected from one state school TWO DAYS after getting my acceptance to the other campus.

Seems a bit too close to be a coincidence, right?

I encountered something similar... luckily I was accepted to the campus I wanted but it did seem strange how my acceptance and rejection were timed.
Do you happen to live in MN?
 
Updating!

4 IIs attended - 1 acceptance, waiting to hear from one soon, and two non-rolling schools
2 Holds - withdrew from one, will most likely withdraw from the other soon
1 Rejection - Vandy was kind enough to not string me along any further, rejected pre-secondary tonight. My wallet and my brain (I didn't pre-write the autobiography essay) are relieved, and while rejection always stings, I'm glad I got my first after already being accepted somewhere.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Updating:

Survived the GW and Roch bombing. (Applied to both early August)

0 II (which is freaking me out)
2 rejections (BU - not surprised, and Keck)
Waiting on ~20 schools.

The whole not having an interview and being a pretty decent candidate thing is really starting to eat at my brain. [emoji53]
 
LizzyM ~ 68, Complete Mid-August
0 II's
1 Hold (survived the GW cut yesterday)
3 Rejections
19 Silence (including surviving a smaller Stonybrook cut yesterday)

Happiest point has been NOT getting cut from GW. I was really hopeful for this week...
 
Survived the GW, stony brook, and Rochester cuts this week. I guess it's slightly flattering even if I end up not getting IIs , but hopefully I get one from one of these schools. I would LOVE to live in NY though. Sorry to everyone that got cut, you'll get some IIs soon!

Were there any other mass cuts recently other than stony brook, GW, and Rochester?
 
Update

LizzyM 67 Complete mid September-October

Received 3 DO II's this week in addition to the 1 I received last month.

Still haven't received anything from MD schools 🙁 my hope in an MD II is starting to wane. Still grateful for the DO II's
 
Or they just forgot about our applications 🤣
Honestly, GW remaining a hold was a big win -- I had started to externalize the faults of this season, worrying about LOR's, etc since I haven't received a single II (DO or MD). So... GW not rejecting me now means... crap. I guess it means I'm just seen as "Eh..." at all the places. I think I can change an "Eh..." by next year if I need to... Better I get outdone in a competitive market then get screwed by a bad LOR...
 
Survived the GW, stony brook, and Rochester cuts this week. I guess it's slightly flattering even if I end up not getting IIs , but hopefully I get one from one of these schools. I would LOVE to live in NY though. Sorry to everyone that got cut, you'll get some IIs soon!

Were there any other mass cuts recently other than stony brook, GW, and Rochester?
I heard it was a blood bath for Vanderbilt applicants this week
 
Became a casualty of the Vandy pre-secondary massacre yesterday, so now I'm at three rejections, O II, and a GW hold.
UC Davis just sent an II to someone complete after me, so I'm posting this for luck!!!
Super frustrated my committee letter took so long to complete since I'm dealing with the consequences now...
+pissed+

I'm getting skeptical of the whole rush to submit early thing... I've been complete 80% of the schools i applied to before august, and only have 1 II, 3 rejections (tulane, BU, CWR) and the GW hold... I'm sure I just keep being put in the "meh we can do better but we'll see" pile. So it probably wouldn't have made a difference... we just gotta wait it out.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Five weeks of complete silence. Completed early Aug. Should I assume that I will not be receiving any news this cycle?
 
I'm getting skeptical of the whole rush to submit early thing... I've been complete 80% of the schools i applied to before august, and only have 1 II, 3 rejections (tulane, BU, CWR) and the GW hold... I'm sure I just keep being put in the "meh we can do better but we'll see" pile. So it probably wouldn't have made a difference... we just gotta wait it out.

Me too...I mean yes you don't want to submit in September...and I did not submit day one, but I submitted about 2 weeks after the first day, and I have felt literally no benefit for doing so. People with stats similar to mine submitted much, much later and have heard back from schools much sooner. Complete crapshoot.

Honestly, GW remaining a hold was a big win -- I had started to externalize the faults of this season, worrying about LOR's, etc since I haven't received a single II (DO or MD). So... GW not rejecting me now means... crap. I guess it means I'm just seen as "Eh..." at all the places. I think I can change an "Eh..." by next year if I need to... Better I get outdone in a competitive market then get screwed by a bad LOR...

I have no idea what to make about surviving the GW D-day...Basically feeling about the same as I do at all schools...I'm not bad enough to reject outright immediately, but am not good enough to be quickly extended a II, or at all this cycle...The next month or so is going to be agonizing.

Possible:

As long as they remember me in time for some spring II's I'll forgive them haha 🙂

They could give me one the final day and I'd show up smiling lol.
 
Last edited:
Updating out of sheer desperation. Just got my third rejection today. On the one hand, I'm happy to hear any news at this point because waiting is absolute torture. But I'm starting to lose hope. So fortunate for the 1 interview I've had but still feeling really discouraged today.

1 II
1 Hold
3 Rejections
10 Silence
 
Update:
1 II - Pitt
1 Hold - GW
4 Rejections - UWash (OOR), Boston, USC, UC Davis
~30 - Nothing