*~*~*~* Official 2016-2017 Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got a rejection letter today via snail mail from Midwestern-IL :( I'm pretty bummed because I really wanted to interview at that school :sorry:
I'm sorry to hear that :( did your portal update?

Members don't see this ad.

What's the difference between "under continuing review" "waitlist for interview" etc. ?? Instead of these "soft rejections" why don't they just outright reject an applicant? I am confused.:droid:
With a rejection there's no going back in their decision. With continuing review they are still considering you, and with waitlisted they may go back and offer something.

Reactions: 1 user
I was also curious about when the status says application complete, does that mean that they've received it and finished reviewing the application or that they've received it and it hasn't gone under review yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also curious about when the status says application complete, does that mean that they've received it and finished reviewing the application or that they've received it and it hasn't gone under review yet.
They received all they need.

1st rejection MWU IL :pigeon:
Method: Snail mail

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that :( did your portal update?

Nothing a little ice cream can't fix :rolleyes::corny:Midwestern-IL was never listed on my AADSAS portal. I was always contacted by them via email or snail mail. Rejection came via snail mail, it was dated 10/07.

Nothing a little ice cream can't fix :rolleyes::corny:Midwestern-IL was never listed on my AADSAS portal. I was always contacted by them via email or snail mail. Rejection came via snail mail, it was dated 10/07.
Same date as in mine

Rejected at MWU-AZ
"applicant pool is so strong we cant offer interview"

Just joined SDN..have 0 interviews so far kind of feeling down.

Residency - MI
AADSAS Mailout - 7/29 (last letter of rec not submitted until 8/31)

3.57 Science 3.58 Overall
19AA/20PAT/17TS/22 Reading/16 in Gen Chem.

Have shadowing/volunteer hours but not more than 100 each.
Spent 3 years of undergrad working 40+ hours a week.
Know my EC's are pretty weak, working to build on that.

trying to stay positive and keeping my hopes up for a post-dec interview at this point. best of luck to all!
Decent GPAs but that TS is a little low bc of your GChem : ((.

Interview 4: NYU (UDM, MINN, Indiana)

Notification date: 10/18/2016
Method of notification: Email
Application complete date: 07/14/2016
GPA (science, overall): 3.5 sGPA, 3.5 oGPA, 4.0 gradGPA, 3.9 postbach
22AA/20TS/21PAT/26RC

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

22AA/20TS/21PAT/26RC

Congrats!!

First time I've noticed someone list two different GPA for Grad and Postbacc. What was your postbacc classes? How many credits? Just curious.

22AA/20TS/21PAT/26RC
congrats!! I can't believe they are still in July, or maybe they aren't just going in order of app complete date.
Were pre-dec dates still available or all filled up? thanks!

Congrats!!

First time I've noticed someone list two different GPA for Grad and Postbacc. What was your postbacc classes? How many credits? Just curious.

I did a bunch of chemistry and biology courses, roughly 30 credits. I did them online from a different school in conjunction with my Master's program!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

congrats!! I can't believe they are still in July, or maybe they aren't just going in order of app complete date.

November 3, lots of dates available pre December from what I understand. :)

They're not going in the order of app complete. I was complete there in August (when fee was cashed).

I did a bunch of chemistry and biology courses, roughly 30 credits. I did them online from a different school in conjunction with my Master's program!

Oh cool! We kind of swapped GPAs. To change up from my previous cycle I took some postbacc this year and have a 4.0 in that and have a 3.9 in my gradGPA (that was already completed previously). I'm now doing another grad program now. Anyway, good luck on your interview! :)

Interview #6!

School: USC
Notification date: 10/14/2016
Residency: MA
AADSAS mail-out date: 08/13/2016
GPA (science, overall): sGPA 3.75, oGPA 3.76
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 25/24/22/21/none

Congrats on the interview!!! Btw did they give you specific dates to choose from?

Guys being very honest about it as a DDS run for your life if you really like dentistry like I do consider practicing in better countries instead of getting into that trap the dental field in the United States is going through the trash this last 3 years and it's going downhill everyday you have no idea how bad it is if I have read what I'm writing now a few years ago by someone else I might not have believed it and I don't blame you if you don't but being very honest about its too much time studying, enormous student loans, too much saliva splashed on your face, back pain and that stress for barely an average pay after you deduct the student loans taxes, how low the insurance pays now because of how plenty dentists are don't believe otherwise they want to have the upper hand on pricing since their is too many dentists added to that the years spent on education it sucks...I have friends practicing dentistry all over the United States and the world I can assure you it's one of the worst places to practice recently is here in the US I have been a dentist for more than 10 years 4 of them in the US I can assure you the only ones that think it's good here are the ones never worked somewhere else...we supposedly get paid 10 to 20% more than some European countries but they don't have the student loans, overhead or more years out of their lifespan taken away from them...think about it the insurances pays much less than what they have used to student loans are getting much higher there is 4 times more the dentists and dental offices in the big nice cities where you would most probably love to live read more about offices for sales their gross and net profits, insurances price lists and the $200 to $400 overhead per hour on a dental office and do the math it's barely an average job that you would throw in a huge portion of your life for...almost every where around the world is a better place for a dentist when you measure how much you put in for it...plus the best dentistry in not in the US or even close so the pride of being a DDS or a DMD in the US is a nonsense...I wish I had someone to tell me that before I got myself into it the debt makes you heavy to even consider moving and maybe be out of work for a month or 2...if you want to have the best dental education then consider German, Swiss and Swedish dental education check where dentists are needed the most around the world and have a happy joyful life there but the US system for us dentists recently will most probably choke you

I think you may have missed some punctuation.

Reactions: 3 users
@Minayab, I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced this but you do not represent the entire dentistry society in the US. I know many dentists around the country with 20, 12,6,4 and two years of practice and they are doing extremely well. If you are a part of that 2% rate of dentistry bankruptcy or for what reason the system is against you, maybe dentistry is not for you. As for your back, you should have got an ergonomic professional to assess your situation like any other corporate company who aims to minimize human factors and ergonomics. Don't discourage others trying to build their life unless you can give evidence to your claims.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it updated on your MWU Portal?
No, MWU IL was not even on the list of schools decisions. As for the MWU portal, it just says under "app checklist" that they are unable to find my information, instead of showing the checklist.

Last edited:
Interview#3
School: UPenn
Residency: Canada
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/15/2016
Application complete date: 06/14/2016
GPA (science, overall) 3.79, 3.73
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): Canadian DAT 25/29/23/21/none

Reactions: 7 users
Interview#3
School: UPenn
Residency: Canada
AADSAS mail-out date: 07/15/2016
Application complete date: 06/14/2016
GPA (science, overall) 3.79, 3.73
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): Canadian DAT 25/29/23/21/none

Congrats! May I ask when is your interview date?

Congrats on the interview!!! Btw did they give you specific dates to choose from?

Yes, they gave five dates to choose, although some of them have already been booked up when I called back. I booked 11/3 which is the nearest one.

Rejection #4 (not counting Waitlist for interview, Consideration for future interview, and Hold for Comparison)

School: UNLV
Notification date: 10/18
Method of notification: email
Residency: OOS
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/15/16
GPA (undergrad, postbacc MS w/ thesis): 3.5/3.9
DAT (AA/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 19/19/22/none

Well for those that say UNLV weighs RC the most, I think it didn't apply in my case :(

Rejection #4 (not counting Waitlist for interview, Consideration for future interview, and Hold for Comparison)

Well for those that say UNLV weighs RC the most, I think it didn't apply in my case :(

Their loss, Roseman's gain.

Well as I learned from Texas school that the adcom slowing down the process this cycle by filling less than 50% of the class by December and resume with the other 50% till March . I'm not sure if that's applicable for all schools but it make sense at least here in Texas since they are really slow this cycle. So relax and live with the fact that u did your very best when u applied this cycle. Now just sit back and watch how destiny will play it for u.

Bless you!! I'm a TX resident and have thought it was so strange I hadn't heard anything from any of the 3 schools since i have a great DAT, GPA, and the other stuff you could possibly want. This definitely put me at ease a bit. Thanks!

Wow it truly has been a slow week .. don't see many invites. sigh

Reactions: 1 users
Interviews 8-10

UPenn (10/17)
Temple (10/18)
Rutgers (10/19)

AADSAS mail-out date: June 24th
GPA (science, overall): 3.98 science/ 3.95 overall
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/19/19/25/NA

Reactions: 5 users
Interviews 8-10

UPenn (10/17)
Temple (10/18)
Rutgers (10/19)

AADSAS mail-out date: June 24th
GPA (science, overall): 3.98 science/ 3.95 overall
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/19/19/25/NA
Congrats! must have been an amazing three days haha

Hi everyone! I just wanted to ask about post December interviews (Since it is getting well into the cycle), if we get a post December invite, how long do schools take to get back to you regarding decisions? I know it varies, but anyone's who's familiar with the cycle/post dec know a reasonable time period for the post dec decisions?

Thank you in advance!

I'm rooting for ya! You have good stats with much to offer! Don't forget that!

Hi everyone! I just wanted to ask about post December interviews (Since it is getting well into the cycle), if we get a post December invite, how long do schools take to get back to you regarding decisions? I know it varies, but anyone's who's familiar with the cycle/post dec know a reasonable time period for the post dec decisions?

Thank you in advance!
Like you said, it really varies. I've seen people getting accepted on the same day they interviewed, or the next day, or within a week, or month.
But generally, it seemed that most people heard back within one month at the latest I think.

Eh I keep checking my AADSAS account thinking something will happen even though I have already completed the interview process. Can't December be like tomorrow please!!!!!!!!!

Same. Even though it tells us if we got a new notification and it doesn't show up on the AADSAS site... I check anyways lol

Reactions: 1 users
I know this isn't the right place to ask but just curious.. I do a lot of architectural drawings (and comical) and was wondering if I could bring a couple of them in a portfolio for schools? Anyone have any insight for this/did this?

I know this isn't the right place to ask but just curious.. I do a lot of architectural drawings (and comical) and was wondering if I could bring a couple of them in a portfolio for schools? Anyone have any insight for this/did this?
It wouldn't hurt. I was able to bring some of my artwork to show during my interviews. I wouldn't make it awkward and just whip it out of no where to show them. Usually if they ask you about your experiences with manual dexterity, or what do you enjoy doing on your spare time, stress reliever, etc. you can flow and talk about your experiences and tie it in with your drawings.

Sure bring them and you can mention them in your interview if you can make it come up naturally. Just read the situation and if it seems like it would be appropriate to show them since they seemed interested, go for it. Don't force it though.

It wouldn't hurt. I was able to bring some of my artwork to show during my interviews. I wouldn't make it awkward and just whip it out of no where to show them. Usually if they ask you about your experiences with manual dexterity, or what do you enjoy doing on your spare time, stress reliever, etc. you can flow and talk about your experiences and tie it in with your drawings.

Sure bring them and you can mention them in your interview if you can make it come up naturally. Just read the situation and if it seems like it would be appropriate to show them since they seemed interested, go for it. Don't force it though.

Yes exactly! I was just thinking if they brought up manual dexterity and what I do, to explain what I do and subtly tell them I bought a couple pieces of work and whether they would be interested in seeing it. Thanks guys! Hope that'll break the ice a little aha

For my interview at VCU they said in their interview invitation that you can bring proof of manual dexterity such as a portfolio.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using SDN mobile

anyone heard from Tennessee? On aadsas it changed from under review to complete and was wondering if anyone has received interview invites!

Are schools just not sending any interviews or are people not posting them here?!!!

Please post if u do!!:)

Are schools just not sending any interviews or are people not posting them here?!!!

Please post if u do!!:)
Def a slow week this and the last... I received an invite today from Ohio State. PM me if you want further info.

No, MWU IL was not even on the list of schools decisions. As for the MWU portal, it just says under "app checklist" that they are unable to find my information, instead of showing the checklist.

@DMDDDSHopeful can you confirm this as well with MWU-IL portal? I am asking because I have recently moved and though I updated my preferred address in the portal, I'm afraid that I may have also been rejected, but won't know it because they sent mail to my old address.

on AADSAS, what's the difference between "Received/Under Review" and "Received/Application Complete?"