*~*~*~* Official 2016-2017 Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't believe you applied 3 times bro. That stress must have been ridiculous.

for real. I applied last cycle and was waitlisted, worst experience ever. Gotta respect the persistency tho, that gets people places

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
for real. I applied last cycle and was waitlisted, worst experience ever. Gotta respect the persistency tho, that gets people places
Did you get any interviews last cycle?

So you've gone through and counted each post? I know it's pretty easy to think something is happening just because of the way you feel. If someone went through and counted and made a direct comparison, however, that would potentially be legit.

Not me personally, I don't spend that much time on these forums. However, it's pretty easy to look at the page count # and date and make a generalization. During this time last year, the page count # on that thread was much higher than it is now. Although this could probably mean nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get any interviews last cycle?
i only applied to four schools, really wanted one of them. got waitlisted at that school. Now i have an interview at that school again so hopefully things go more smoothly this time around :cigar:

i only applied to four schools, really wanted one of them. got waitlisted at that school. Now i have an interview at that school again so hopefully things go more smoothly this time around :cigar:
Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
For everyone claiming that it's a slow year, I think it's more likely there are less people posting.

Safe to say schools are still doing the same thing they've done every year.

For everyone claiming that it's a slow year, I think it's more likely there are less people posting.

Safe to say schools are still doing the same thing they've done every year.
Wellll. NYU did say they're interviewing less people this year so its probably safe to say some other schools could be doing that as well:rolleyes:

Fwiw at several of my interviews we were told to be careful about what we post on SDN or other online forums. I probably would be posting a lot more if I hadn't been advised not to directly from adcoms.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Wellll. NYU did say they're interviewing less people this year so its probably safe to say some other schools could be doing that as well:rolleyes:
Does that also mean that NYU is accepting fewer applicants? For the 2014-2015 cycle they accepted 1048 applicants (for an eventual class size of 384). This trend was also similar in the 2013-2014 cycle. If they interview less people, and accept less people (assumption) won't their class size also decrease (if the trend of around 30% of people who are accepted eventually enroll persists).

Or maybe they are only interviewing people they know they will end up accepting (i.e higher acceptance rate after interview).

source: http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Science and Research/HPI/Files/SDE2_2014-15-final.xlsx?la=en

Does that also mean that NYU is accepting fewer applicants? For the 2014-2015 cycle they accepted 1048 applicants (for an eventual class size of 384). This trend was also similar in the 2013-2014 cycle. If they interview less people, and accept less people (assumption) won't their class size also decrease (if the trend of around 30% of people who are accepted eventually enroll persists).

source: http://www.ada.org/~/media/ADA/Science and Research/HPI/Files/SDE2_2014-15-final.xlsx?la=en
Hey I'm sorry I really am not sure about that.. I think if you really wanna know, just give them a call! They're super friendly.

Hey I'm sorry I really am not sure about that.. I think if you really wanna know, just give them a call! They're super friendly.
I'm not too worried about it lol! Just procrastinating.

Members don't see this ad :)

Or maybe they are only interviewing people they know they will end up accepting (i.e higher acceptance rate after interview).

They accepted 1048 for an anticipated class or 384?!? Wow

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

NYU told me that they have decreased the number of days they're interviewing, but opened up more slots for each interview day

So they sent out 1048 acceptances and only 384 enrolled? what is going on there? Are people not going/going somewhere else or is 1048 number of interviews given?

For the chart, do you happen to know what they mean by "number of applications examined by admissions committee"? For some schools it looks roughly what to expect for total number of students interviewed from their application pool, but for others like Tufts, Marquette, and Rutgers the number is equivalent to "number of applications received".

For what its worth, NYU didn't publish numbers for "number of students interviewed" or "number of students accepted" in the ADEA guidebook. According to that, they interviewed 1,670 OOS and 571 IS students for the entering class of 2014.

So they sent out 1048 acceptances and only 384 enrolled? what is going on there? Are people not going/going somewhere else or is 1048 number of interviews given?

Well based on what it says, 1048 applicants were offered a position which means that 1048-384= 664 people declined the offer (i.e to attend another school). NYU probably expects that a lot of people tend to decline their offer to go somewhere else (based on trends and their target enrollment number), which may be why they accept so many.

I'm not exactly sure how accurate this info is but it is posted by the ADA (and it says that all schools must provide this info, in the form of a survey, to maintain accreditation by CODA).

For what its worth, NYU didn't publish numbers for "number of students interviewed" or "number of students accepted" in the ADEA guidebook. According to that, they interviewed 1,670 OOS and 571 IS students for the entering class of 2014.

Maybe every school has a different way of determining the "number of applications examined by admissions committee". Some may go off interview invites sent while others may consider that to just be the whole application pool. Not really sure. This data is based on a survey given to each school.

And where did you find those interview numbers (OOS and IS) for NYU?

Last edited:
Hi everyone. So when I got my last couple interviews, I was either always on app complete or I went from app complete to under review and then invite. However, at Tennessee I was "under review" from 8/25 (idk how since my dat was officially updated on AADSAS 9/21) and just this Friday evening they changed it from "Under review" to "app complete". Anyone have this happen before an invite? It's weird cause they said people with outstanding credentials (3.5+, 20+ DAT) will hear back by October 15th and to email them if we haven't. So I'm not sure what To make of this status/ what this status update means :/

Interview #6!

School: USC
Notification date: 10/14/2016
Method of notification: Email
Residency: MA
AADSAS mail-out date: 08/13/2016
GPA (science, overall): sGPA 3.75, oGPA 3.76
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 25/24/22/21/none

Maybe every school has a different way of determining the "number of applications examined by admissions committee". Some may go off interview invites sent while others may consider that to just be the whole application pool. Not really sure. This data is based on a survey given to each school.

I found the data in the "ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools".

Hi everyone. So when I got my last couple interviews, I was either always on app complete or I went from app complete to under review and then invite. However, at Tennessee I was "under review" from 8/25 (idk how since my dat was officially updated on AADSAS 9/21) and just this Friday evening they changed it from "Under review" to "app complete". Anyone have this happen before an invite? It's weird cause they said people with outstanding credentials (3.5+, 20+ DAT) will hear back by October 15th and to email them if we haven't. So I'm not sure what To make of this status/ what this status update means :/
The same thing happened with me this week. All I could find online was that they notify you by writing for an interview invite. It's probably just wishful thinking, but it may indicate something being mailed out?

The same thing happened with me this week. All I could find online was that they notify you by writing for an interview invite. It's probably just wishful thinking, but it may indicate something being mailed out?
Hey! Thanks for your input. I actually went on the thread for Tennessee this cycle and every one has been getting invites by email (followed by a phone call). Or maybe they do mail it out on Friday for you to get it on Monday? haha. It would be funny if it is a rejection LOL. Do you think we should email them? In our email it says if you have outstanding credentials (3.5, 20+ DAT) and haven't heard anything by October 15, to contact them. Grr. Why not just say denied or interview? haha the switching between "review" and "complete" is so pointless to me lol

Hey! Thanks for your input. I actually went on the thread for Tennessee this cycle and every one has been getting invites by email (followed by a phone call). Or maybe they do mail it out on Friday for you to get it on Monday? haha. It would be funny if it is a rejection LOL. Do you think we should email them? In our email it says if you have outstanding credentials (3.5, 20+ DAT) and haven't heard anything by October 15, to contact them. Grr. Why not just say denied or interview? haha the switching between "review" and "complete" is so pointless to me lol
Yeah, it also says "Your status on AADSAS is correct 100% of the time"... lol I'm probably going to see what plays out this week and possibly contact them if nothing comes up.

Yeah, it also says "Your status on AADSAS is correct 100% of the time"... lol I'm probably going to see what plays out this week and possibly contact them if nothing comes up.
Same .. haha hopefully some good news comes up this week.

Has anyone heard of anything for Oregon or western? I applied late August but have not hear of anything except though generalized emails they send everyone lol I'm getting worried

I felt like I need to write this at this point of time because everyone's stressed and worked up. Which I totally understand. But there's so many people on different personal forms spreading negativity/trolling.... which I still don't understand how they have time for. Anyways..

those who are smearing their negativity into other applicants lives at this point, Seriously? Like we are all so worked up, the least you can do is keep your negative and hostile thoughts to yourself and refrain from posting your unfriendly thoughts on here. Bring some encouragement and positivity to people cause we are all on the same boat. People are telling people they're getting "100% screwed over by applying so late" or "you're screwed if you haven't heard back" ... youre only FURTHER stressing people out with your completely subjective posts. And how is that gonna look as a dentist when you tell people "you're screwed for coming so late to me" ? Yeah I just felt like saying if you don't have anything positive to say at THIS sensitive time of the cycle then keep your hate and disrespect to yourself cause there's already way too much of that.

Hope you all get your first invite, next invite, top favorite invite, last invite and unexpected invite all this week!

Goodnight SDN fam.

Reactions: 24 users
I felt like I need to write this at this point of time because everyone's stressed and worked up. Which I totally understand. But there's so many people on different personal forms spreading negativity/trolling.... which I still don't understand how they have time for. Anyways..

those who are smearing their negativity into other applicants lives at this point, Seriously? Like we are all so worked up, the least you can do is keep your negative and hostile thoughts to yourself and refrain from posting your unfriendly thoughts on here. Bring some encouragement and positivity to people cause we are all on the same boat. People are telling people they're getting "100% screwed over by applying so late" or "you're screwed if you haven't heard back" ... youre only FURTHER stressing people out with your completely subjective posts. And how is that gonna look as a dentist when you tell people "you're screwed for coming so late to me" ? Yeah I just felt like saying if you don't have anything positive to say at THIS sensitive time of the cycle then keep your hate and disrespect to yourself cause there's already way too much of that.

Hope you all get your first invite, next invite, top favorite invite, last invite and unexpected invite all this week!

Goodnight SDN fam.

Totally feel you.
Let's rock this week!

Reactions: 4 users
Well based on what it says, 1048 applicants were offered a position which means that 1048-384= 664 people declined the offer (i.e to attend another school). NYU probably expects that a lot of people tend to decline their offer to go somewhere else (based on trends and their target enrollment number), which may be why they accept so many.

I'm not exactly sure how accurate this info is but it is posted by the ADA (and it says that all schools must provide this info, in the form of a survey, to maintain accreditation by CODA).

Well, remember the thing we were talking about a couple months ago saying that too many students confirmed attending last year and they needed to offer some people a scholarship in exchange of deferring their acceptance to this year. So, I would assume that 1. They don't want the same to happen this year. 2. Some of this cycle seats are already taken by the people who accepted to start next fall. ( @NicktheTooth, @Viva Terlingua)

Edit:Sorry, this info is false. That happened in 2003.

Last edited:
I can't believe you applied 3 times bro. That stress must have been ridiculous.

I think there are more reapplicants than people admit. I think 2-3 times is becoming more normal in such a competitive process with limited number of schools and seats. I think most people don't go above 3 times unless they really want it.

Rejection #3 (not counting soft rejections of Waitlist for interview and consideration for future interview)

School: MWU-IL
Notification date: 10/17
Method of notification: mail
Residency: OOS
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/24/16
GPA (undergrad, postbacc MS w/ thesis): 3.5/3.9
DAT (AA/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 19/19/22/none

Well, no interview after the 3rd time applying there and after doing SO much EC, extra classes beyond Masters, and leadership activities. This is all on top of working full-time. I'm speechless.

Oh well life goes on.. I would ask why and ask what I can do to be successful for the following cycle but that would be deja vu..

Last edited:
Rejected at MWU-AZ
"applicant pool is so strong we cant offer interview"

Just joined SDN..have 0 interviews so far kind of feeling down.

Residency - MI
AADSAS Mailout - 7/29 (last letter of rec not submitted until 8/31)

3.57 Science 3.58 Overall
19AA/20PAT/17TS/22 Reading/16 in Gen Chem.

Have shadowing/volunteer hours but not more than 100 each.
Spent 3 years of undergrad working 40+ hours a week.
Know my EC's are pretty weak, working to build on that.

trying to stay positive and keeping my hopes up for a post-dec interview at this point. best of luck to all!
you have a great gpa, people with 3.1 get 6 or 7 interviews here. Don't worry i feel like u will get a couple interview soon, stay +

I haven't heard back from most schools that I've applied to, I'm hoping no news is good news? It is getting pretty late in the cycle though so I'm starting to lose hope.

I haven't heard back from most schools that I've applied to, I'm hoping no news is good news? It is getting pretty late in the cycle though so I'm starting to lose hope.
When did you apply little girl?

When did you apply little girl?

I sent out my application on 8/2 however my committee letter wasn't submitted until the 9/15. Most of the status of the schools that I've applied to say Under Review, thoughts??

How many have you heard back for interviews from?

Are we choosing to ignore the fact that he said this
I reported it. Most of what comes from the account is misinformed, racist, derogatory, or otherwise condescending

Reactions: 6 users
Well, remember the thing we were talking about a couple months ago saying that too many students confirmed attending last year and they needed to offer some people a scholarship in exchange of deferring their acceptance to this year. So, I would assume that 1. They don't want the same to happen this year. 2. Some of this cycle seats are already taken by the people who accepted to start next fall. ( @NicktheTooth, @Viva Terlingua)
Is this confirmed? If it is, where can I read or find the thread?

Rejection #3 (not counting soft rejections of Waitlist for interview and consideration for future interview)

School: MWU-IL
Notification date: 10/17
Method of notification: mail
Residency: OOS
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/24/16
GPA (undergrad, postbacc MS w/ thesis): 3.5/3.9
DAT (AA/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 19/19/22/none

Well, no interview after the 3rd time applying there and after doing SO much EC, extra classes beyond Masters, and leadership activities. This is all on top of working full-time. I'm speechless.

Oh well life goes on.. I would ask why and ask what I can do to be successful for the following cycle but that would be deja vu..

I just got a rejection letter today via snail mail from Midwestern-IL :( I'm pretty bummed because I really wanted to interview at that school :sorry:

Is this confirmed? If it is, where can I read or find the thread?
I ask everyone to pardon me lol. I just went to look up the thread and the situation happened in 2003. :rofl:I have no idea why I thought it was this year. Maybe it was mentioned in one thread and I thought it was this year. :smack:

What's the difference between "under continuing review" "waitlist for interview" etc. ?? Instead of these "soft rejections" why don't they just outright reject an applicant? I am confused.:droid: