COMLEX Official 2016 Comlex 2 CE Experiences and Scores Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctorman

TouroCOM-NY
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
2016 COMLEX 2 CE

please post how you prepared
What scores you got while preparing UWORL, COMBANK, COMQUEST
What was your experience with the test
What was your score.

2015 thread :http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...x-2-ce-experiences-and-scores-thread.1127509/

2014 thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...x-2-ce-experiences-and-scores-thread.1077080/

Members don't see this ad.

First pass Combank- 83% COMLEX side, finishing up USMLE side ,currently 85%
First pass Uworld 74%
Used MTB,FA and Kaplan Notes (went through these 2x)
Did all the CMS series but waited on neuro for this week to prep for comlex.
Read through savarese, redoing combank omm. Test is this coming Thursday.

Comsae A - 680

Comsae B - 660

Comsae C - 620

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
First pass Combank- 83% COMLEX side, finishing up USMLE side ,currently 85%
First pass Uworld 74%
Used MTB,FA and Kaplan Notes (went through these 2x)
Did all the CMS series but waited on neuro for this week to prep for comlex.
Read through savarese, redoing combank omm. Test is this coming Thursday.

Comsae A

Comsae B

Comsae C - taking this today
let us know how COMSAE C goes

Members don't see this ad :)
Saw about a 60 point drop from comsae D, which I took several weeks before my dedicated study period. I haven't taken any of the other ones. Just got very disheartened. Hoping it's just the usual comsae variability and not me forgetting more than I'm learning...

I was told A has a better predictive value than C or D but not sure about D. I also know that A-C are all updated from last year and the NBOME swears they are equal. So dont get worked up. Use the breakdown to identify your weakness and prep for the next one.

Yeah I saw a bunch of different places saying different things. Some said A was more reflective, some said D. The drop was just kinda shocking, esp since I've been doing fairly well on COMBank and UWorld q's. Given that A-C are updated from last year, just wanted to see what other people's experiences have been thus far this year. Oh well, back to studying. Thanks.

I went through MTB and Kaplan videos, then completed questions in UWorld, COMBANK, and COMQUEST. MTB was an excellent resource, highly recommended. I felt that COMBANK was probably more like the real exam, but neither of these COMLEX specific Q banks were good enough alone imo. Comquest seemed better to point out high yields for the exam, while combank provided slightly better explanations and tougher questions.

I averaged 67% on UWorld.
COMSAE form B 1 week from exam: ~580

Took my test on June 30th... felt like a complete crapshoot. My exam had a surprising amount law questions and lots of random "how would I have even studied for this?" questions. As far as OMM, there were maybe 1-2 chapmans points questions, several viscerosomatics, but an outstanding amount of TENDER POINT q's that I wasn't prepared for. Don't skip tender points. Being familiar with Step 1 micro before going into this exam is useful... I had a few pneumonia/meningitis questions that required knowing Step 1 material (some I had forgotten and had to go with my gut feeling on most likely diagnosis).

Score will be released before the end of July..

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone hear anything about when the scores will be released? I know the website says July 25-28, but last year my COMLEX score was released a week before what the website said.

I'm just impatient and want my score back...

Thank you for the tenderpoint heads up. I read over savarese which mentions the anterior pelvis and the anterior ribs bt thats about it.
Looked up the rest to peak at.

I went through MTB and Kaplan videos, then completed questions in UWorld, COMBANK, and COMQUEST. MTB was an excellent resource, highly recommended. I felt that COMBANK was probably more like the real exam, but neither of these COMLEX specific Q banks were good enough alone imo. Comquest seemed better to point out high yields for the exam, while combank provided slightly better explanations and tougher questions.

I averaged 67% on UWorld.
COMSAE form B 1 week from exam: ~580

Took my test on June 30th... felt like a complete crapshoot. My exam had a surprising amount law questions and lots of random "how would I have even studied for this?" questions. As far as OMM, there were maybe 1-2 chapmans points questions, several viscerosomatics, but an outstanding amount of TENDER POINT q's that I wasn't prepared for. Don't skip tender points. Being familiar with Step 1 micro before going into this exam is useful... I had a few pneumonia/meningitis questions that required knowing Step 1 material (some I had forgotten and had to go with my gut feeling on most likely diagnosis).

Score will be released before the end of July..

Ugh the tenderpoints sound miserable...taking my test on Thursday. Should I focus more on central TP or extremity TP? Also, was there a ton of peds? I've reviewed the basics but it isn't my strongest subject.

Taking test tomorrow at 830... wish me luck. Will check back in and let everyone know how it went.

COMSAE D- 482 (6 weeks out)
COMSAE C- 602 (1 week out)
COMBANK 1st pass- ~70%
UWORLD 1st pass- ~60%

Did combank and uword 1.5x total, read MTB, did onlinemeded and skimmed through green book. Took today off and worked on my scratch sheet/ tried to memorize the rest of the chapmans and tender points, didn't get through all of them. Have a feeling it wont matter much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking test tomorrow at 830... wish me luck. Will check back in and let everyone know how it went.

COMBANK 1st pass- ~70%
UWORLD 1st pass- ~60%

Did combank and uword 1.5x total, read MTB, did onlinemeded and skimmed through green book. Took today off and worked on my scratch sheet/ tried to memorize the rest of the chapmans and tender points, didn't get through all of them. Have a feeling it wont matter much.
Good luck, you'll do great

COMBANK 1st pass- ~70%
UWORLD 1st pass- ~60%

Goodluck man!!

Taking the beast tomorrow. I plan to review Chapman points and viscerosomatics tonight and tomorrow morning before my test.

Taking the beast tomorrow. I plan to review Chapman points and viscerosomatics tonight and tomorrow morning before my test.
same here. I'm done looking over the medicine. I did well on the COMSAE's and I hope that translates to the test tomorrow. Will look over the viscerosomatics and chapman points and get this thing over with.

So question for y'all..

I have one day in between USMLE and COMLEX and both are middle of next week.

I'm pretty much done with uworld and took a nbme earlier in the week with a score that I'd be happy to get on the real thing.

but I have not done any form of comlex specific qbank or prepared for comlex

Would going over saverese be enough? Would I be okay if i supplement it with just doing the omm questions on a comlex qbank?

I did well on level 1 with doing ~ 40% of combank last year.

Tips?

So question for y'all..

I have one day in between USMLE and COMLEX and both are middle of next week.

I'm pretty much done with uworld and took a nbme earlier in the week with a score that I'd be happy to get on the real thing.

but I have not done any form of comlex specific qbank or prepared for comlex

Would going over saverese be enough? Would I be okay if i supplement it with just doing the omm questions on a comlex qbank?

I did well on level 1 with doing ~ 40% of combank last year.

Tips?
I think that's more than sufficient. I to usmle Monday with the COMLEX Wednesday. Read savarese Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning. Reviewed the chapman's points and sympathetic crap videos on YouTube. Then did a few combank omm questions. I felt like it was more than enough for me.

took it today.I don't have much to say right now, however, know your peds, ob/gyn, GI,and OMM.

took it today.I don't have much to say right now, however, know your peds, ob/gyn, GI,and OMM.

Hope it went well! I heard from others who took it today that it was very heavy in ethics/Laws and with OMM they had a lot of ankle and fibular heads?

Took mine yesterday and Im not in a good place mentally. The test was as advertised - heavy OMM but with odd bone movement questions of the UE and LE, Some crazy micro that was step 1 related (read through FA , Thank you for the heads up), MSK (rheum ect), GU,GI and OB. The Law stuff was a shocker. I'm still looking crap up that Ive never heard of.
Overall excepting ****e score is most likely in my future. I missed a couple super easy questions that are haunting me.
Best advice. Know what you know cold. Dont make easy mistakes you will need those points for the WTF questions that come.
Practice taking the comsaes in the F'd up break format that you have in the comlex.
DONT rely on the comsaes in any way to estimate your score because the tests are in no way representative of what you will see test day.
I smoked comsae A and its supposed to be the most representative. It wasnt even Fing close. I'm thinking about writing NBOME and explaining to them that their product is so subpar that it seems more like a money making venture than a practice test for these exams (yes Im salty).
Oh yeah, chapman points were well represented and I did get 1 question on a trigger point. I would not put the energy into studying all the trigger points for that 1 question. The answer could be figured out without knowing the exact trigger point.
Also, there are new video questions - Dx questions and legal questions in video format. They are time sucks more than anyting.

Best of luck to you all, at this point just hoping I didnt crap the bed.

Reactions: 2 users
Took mine yesterday and Im not in a good place mentally. The test was as advertised - heavy OMM but with odd bone movement questions of the UE and LE, Some crazy micro that was step 1 related (read through FA , Thank you for the heads up), MSK (rheum ect), GU,GI and OB. The Law stuff was a shocker. I'm still looking crap up that Ive never heard of.
Overall excepting ****e score is most likely in my future. I missed a couple super easy questions that are haunting me.
Best advice. Know what you know cold. Dont make easy mistakes you will need those points for the WTF questions that come.
Practice taking the comsaes in the F'd up break format that you have in the comlex.
DONT rely on the comsaes in any way to estimate your score because the tests are in no way representative of what you will see test day.
I smoked comsae A and its supposed to be the most representative. It wasnt even Fing close. I'm thinking about writing NBOME and explaining to them that their product is so subpar that it seems more like a money making venture than a practice test for these exams (yes Im salty).
Oh yeah, chapman points were well represented and I did get 1 question on a trigger point. I would not put the energy into studying all the trigger points for that 1 question. The answer could be figured out without knowing the exact trigger point.
Also, there are new video questions - Dx questions and legal questions in video format. They are time sucks more than anyting.

Best of luck to you all, at this point just hoping I didnt crap the bed.

Hey man I took it yesterday as well and did similar to you on the COMSAE's. I hear what you are saying but I just chalk up the vague questions as a wash. There is no way that other students knew what they were asking and there were a ton of easy and reasonable questions. If we were able to even reason through some of the vague questions then hopefully we will get a decent score. Not our Comsaes but hopefully within 50 points. I'm kind of worried as I started to get fatigued towards the end of the exam and the vague questions started to take their toll. IDK but we did what we could, hopefully we did fine!

Reactions: 1 users
Hope it went well! I heard from others who took it today that it was very heavy in ethics/Laws and with OMM they had a lot of ankle and fibular heads?
Yup, heavy in ethics/law and obscure biostats. The omm was not direct, it was convoluted, so it takes time to figure out the diagnosis. They'll give you a long stem and video omm question and then ask for the initial treatment position base on the diagnosis. Some bio-terrorism, dermatomes/fibular head dysfunctions, and weird micro questions. Pharmacology wasn't a big deal. I almost ran out of time because i spent too much time trying to make sure the questions that are obvious are really obvious and not that the NBOME is trying to trick me. My advice is to choose an answer and move on, so that you'll have enough time to spend on the other questions. Know your diagnosis very well because they'll throw in very close answer choices. Not sure how I did because i marked any where from 10-22 questions per section. I am hoping for the best.

[
I'm kind of worried as I started to get fatigued towards the end of the exam and the vague questions started to take their toll. IDK but we did what we could, hopefully we did fine!

I agree. Same here. The break structure promotes fatigue especially after lunch. I wish you the very best. We'll see in a few weeks.

Took it about 2-3 weeks ago. The questions were SO VAGUE. To the point where many times it truly could have been 2 different answers. I wrote in quite a few comments on the exam because of this. Plenty of OB, MSK, GI, and a fair amount of ethics/biostats. I felt better about it than I did level 1, but I still left feeling completely defeated. I did DIT and COMBANK, I've also been using COMBANK throughout the last year to prepare for my COMATs (and doing well on my COMATs). When I started studying about 2 months out, my COMBANK quizzes were averaging in the mid-50's and for the last 800-900 questions I did leading up to the exam I was averaging low 90's. I felt thoroughly prepared going into it and about 10 questions in I was like WTF?! I left feeling like I could have done really well or I could have failed. It's terrifying. I'll update when I get my score back in a few weeks. Good luck to all!

I was told by the NBOME that they were. I was also told that they were considered as equal in terms of difficulty.
Thanks. I wish you the best as well! Any idea when our scores will be released? I remember last year they had an approximate score release date but this year I can't seem to find it. 4-6 weeks? Thanks.

I had the same issue. All I could find was a statement saying scores are usually released within 4 weeks.

I had the same issue. All I could find was a statement saying scores are usually released within 4 weeks.
COMLEX-USA Level 2-CE
Examination Completed Date: Scores Will Release:
June 16, 2016 - July 2, 2016 July 25, 2016 - July 27, 2016
July 7, 2016 - July 21, 2016 August 11, 2016 - Augsut 16, 2016
July 25, 2016 - August 9, 2016 August 29, 2016 - August 31, 2016

That was the WORST exam I have ever taken. It tests ZERO medical knowledge. Most questions on Bank/UW/Quest were a disease process that you have to either identify, pick a diagnostic modality, or a drug. My CE had random things that made no sense, most questions weren't disease processes, they were just random words put together :(

That was the WORST exam I have ever taken. It tests ZERO medical knowledge. Most questions on Bank/UW/Quest were a disease process that you have to either identify, pick a diagnostic modality, or a drug. My CE had random things that made no sense, most questions weren't disease processes, they were just random words put together :(
That sucks man, hopefully it works out for ya! Good thing is everyone has been having the same reaction. Any subjects that you thought were heavily tested?
I take mine at the end of the month and I don't even know what I should be doing with my study time till then. Any suggestions from people who have taken this BS test so far?

Lurking away here but figured that I'd pass on the love and create an account.

This exam was really the worst. I completely agree with the person above who said it tests ZERO medical knowledge. If I could go back in time, I would've taken this exam a week after my last 3rd clerkship after skimming thru MTB and I probably would've felt the same and maybe even do the same????

Also I'm not one of those super-duper smart folks who talks about how they felt like they failed everything but always winds up honoring everything. I'm an average student who scored in the 490's for Level 1 who did average (sometimes more sometimes less) in the COMATs. My Uworld scores on random timed ranged from 55-85% my 2nd pass. My combank was always in the low 70s. I just worked really hard and long to make up for my average-ness.

I've been studying pretty hard for about 7 weeks, putting in 10-14 hour days with 1 day off each week. Did 70% of both uworld and combank during rotations About 10 days before my comlex, I wrote COMSAE C and scored in mid 600's. I felt like the hard work was paying off. I stopped doing uworld and focused on some combank and comquest. I did comquest OMT questions 2x, my combank OMT in-corrects, and re-read Savarese. Relearned Peds. Did some biostats and went over my weaknesses.

So the test came along and I obviously felt pretty confident but that was shot into tiny pieces when I realized that the questions were nothing like I studied it. It was so obscure and it felt like 2 answer choices could've easily been correct. The ethics and biostats was more complicated than it should be. There were lots of ethics and OMT videos that you had to watch and then answer the question but it sucked up time, especially if you were like me and zoned out and had to re-watch a few times.

My test was heavy on Peds, Psych, and OMT. Don't remember there being more than 2-3 surgery or Heme and GI nonsense all together.

My advise: Know your OMM COLD. These questions will be the few ones where there's only 1 answer as opposed to the obscure other questions where 2 of them could've easily been correct. Also don't neglect Psych. Def know your basic Peds. Know all the preventative medicine - type things. Vaccines (what's okay for pregnant ladies, what's okay for folks with HIV, what to give folks when they go on vaca to another country) know your women's health preventative medicine guidelines (mammos, paps, HPV, colpo, LEEP), TB testing/treatment guidelines.

Basically remember this: you're taking the COMLEX which caters to primary care medicine. Think like a family doc. What would be important to know as a primary care physician? That's probably what they will ask you or what they focus their questions to be centered around.

I'll edit this when I get my grade. For now it's gonna be a killer wait...

*Edit for grammar and a little bit extra here and there*

EDIT: Got >550. At least I improved!

Last edited:
I don't have a clue how any PD could evaluate your knowledge obtained during ms3 by looking at your COMLEX II score

I'm waiting on my scores next week. Took it June 29. Just wanted to throw my hat into the mix while I've got a minute. I took the USMLE 2 days before it and find that to be quite exhausting by the 5th section. I think it's just cause the USMLE had much longer question stems and more critical thinking.

I honestly didn't think the COMLEX was too bad (which I guess means I probably failed). I had far more stamina to push through. Shorter question stems. I definitely didn't have any crazy ethics questions. There were certainly a few off the wall questions in which I was clueless; I just guess and move on then don't think about it again. I found myself having to suppress laughter a few times when I'd get a cranial question. I'm still in disbelief that kind of garbage can be on our board exam to become physicians.

Scored 540's on COMSAE A back in April, before I'd started studying. Did COMBANK questions throughout the year for COMATs (scored above average on all but psych. Most ~110) Did UWorld random, sometimes timed, sometimes tutor, through May and June with a final avg of 69%. Did a quick skim through savarese and watched the viscerosomatics/chapman's points YouTube videos the day before the COMLEX. UWSA 2 weeks before was 245.

I guess we'll see what happens next week! Best of luck to all.

I took Comlex on Thursday, then USMLE yesterday (I don't recommend that lol). So as far as Comlex goes...TONS of OMM questions, not necessarily treatment questions either. I didn't get any trigger point questions like some people have talked about. Some obscure micro, which I'm thankful for doing a quick pass through First Aid the day prior. Lots of biostats/ethics questions (probably about 20 ethics & 15 biostats). The biostats was literally stuff from my college statistics class & made me wonder if I missed a math class in med school lol. Ethics wasn't too bad, most of the questions you could easily think through. Also heavy on peds & OB.

Overall, the question stems were more COMAT format, i thought. Not too long. I found level 2 wayyy easier than last year's exam. So hopefully that means I passed? We'll see in a few weeks!

I keep getting low but passing comsae scores. My test is next weekend but I am definitely now considering to reschedule. What should I focus on now? I can push it to mid/late August. I finished Quest recently and used UWORLD and COMBANK throughout the rotation. I used Savarsee and Online Med to Study and skimmed over MTB and FA in the last couple of weeks. Any advice will be helpful.. thanks!!

COMSAES are nothing like the real exam and are there to expose gross weakness in a subject area. Use them to cone down your studying to those subjects you did the poorest. My 2cents.

Called and was told to expect them anytime between today and Wednesday. The lady would not tell me if they are coming out today :(

Called and was told to expect them anytime between today and Wednesday. The lady would not tell me if they are coming out today :(

I wouldn't expect anything less from them...especially after reading the horrors from a few years back. Just let us take the USMLE and give us a question set on OMM. I know we are meant to "think like a primary care doctor", but I would rather just think like a doctor.

No scores as of yet for me.... anyone know if they release scores towards the end of day?

Last edited:
No idea, unfortunately. I can't remember when my COMLEX I score released.
I know I got my level 1 in the morning like 11am or something. Not sure which day of the window of possible score release. Looks like people started posting their scores last time on Tuesday around 1pm central time.

Does anyone know when scores release if you took the test in a date not indicated by their ranges? I took comlex 2 on July 6....

June 16, 2016 - July 2, 2016 July 25, 2016 - July 27, 2016
July 7, 2016 - July 21, 2016 August 11, 2016 - Augsut 16, 2016