COMLEX Official 2016 Comlex 2 CE Experiences and Scores Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctorman

TouroCOM-NY
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
2016 COMLEX 2 CE

please post how you prepared
What scores you got while preparing UWORL, COMBANK, COMQUEST
What was your experience with the test
What was your score.

2015 thread :http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...x-2-ce-experiences-and-scores-thread.1127509/

2014 thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...x-2-ce-experiences-and-scores-thread.1077080/

Members don't see this ad.

I realize many people haven't taken this exam yet this year, but I was wondering how level 2 lines up with the COMATs? As in, if you do slightly above average on the all of the comats, can you reasonable expect to do slightly above average on the COMLEX? I.E ~ 105 on comats = 500? 550?

Anyone able to comment on COMSAE accuracy? ive done uworld, comquest, and combank and just took a combank assessment with 50 percentile. Bombed 2 comsaes so far( low 400s). Both passing grades but not good scores. Comlex in 4 weeks. Should I cancel? I wouldn't even know what to study with my extra time. Did uworld twice, non-Im comquest twice and working through combank in mid 70s

COMAT scores ranged from 103-110. Used MTB book to take notes, uworld, and the subject COMATs to prep for each shelf exam. Maybe putzed around and did some COMBANK if I had time. Watched the UT Health Science center clerkship review vids.

I took a 4-week independent study rotation after my last 3rd year rotation to prep since I didn't take it to study for step 1/level 1. I prepped for comlex ce in 2 weeks since the dates are far and few between 2/2 being off-track for the OMM fellowship. I didn't do any board prep while I was teaching.

UWorld 1st pass: 55%. Did most questions cold and one subject at a time (whatever rotation I was on). Was done by the time rotations were finished. 2nd pass: 75-80%
COMBANK 1st pass: 65-70%? Was 50% complete by the time I finished rotations. Didn't do a 2nd pass.
COMSAE B (beginning of my 4 week study block): 501
COMSAE C (two weeks later): 527
COMSAE A (four days later): 463

Real deal: 578
Honestly, it felt like one super-long COMAT and a lot less wtf compared to level 1.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What's COMAT? I'm currently reading through FA (really passive) and going through Uworld (again super passive, no notes or anything) and My exam is the end of June. I was planning on finishing uworld in the next 2-3 weeks and then really do concentrated uworld for the last month or so. Right now im doing maybe 30-44 questions a day and reading like 30 pages of FA. Anyone care to comment and give further advice? I heard you only really need 1 month to prepare for it but im scared I lost a lot of my basic med knowledge.

I just took it yesterday. It didn't feel terrible. Lots of OMM questions. One section was full of OMM. the 1st and last sections were a little difficult. I don't remember many questions but the ones I did remember I got right. Averaged 65% on Uworld, 72% on COMBANK, last 400 questions on COMQUEST were in the 80s. Finished uworld twice, combank once, comquest twice. Read Step up and 1st aid an USMLE secrets. I didn't do very well on the 1st COMLEX so I can't say I feel confident since I don't know what a high performance feels like. I do not feel as bad but that may be a problem too since I may have made dumb mistakes.

What's COMAT? I'm currently reading through FA (really passive) and going through Uworld (again super passive, no notes or anything) and My exam is the end of June. I was planning on finishing uworld in the next 2-3 weeks and then really do concentrated uworld for the last month or so. Right now im doing maybe 30-44 questions a day and reading like 30 pages of FA. Anyone care to comment and give further advice? I heard you only really need 1 month to prepare for it but im scared I lost a lot of my basic med knowledge.
COMAT is the osteopathic shelf exam. I plan to take my exam end of June

Took mine within the last few weeks. It wasn't hard per se, but it was classic comlex. I don't think 3 more months of studying would make a difference honestly, it's that kind of test.

Reactions: 1 users
any opinions on comquest for level 2?

I'm not using comquest for level 2, but I used it for level 1 and thought it was way too easy, and therefore I didn't learn very much (almost 20% higher than my average on combank and Uworld for level 1 prep). My friend is using it for level two and seems to like it though.

I'm curious if people could post their COMSAE D scores (if taken), compared to COMLEX. I'll post my stats now and hopefully update with my COMLEX score (after I take it in a week).

combank first pass complete, starting to re-do questions now: 67%
UWorld (50% done with questions, still working): 68%
COMSAE D: 602 (taken about three weeks ago)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, how accurate is combank? I find it so much easier than Uworld and avg. is 83.5% after 300 questions...I only avg'd 70% on Uworld. Trying to get an idea of how I'll do. Took Comsae D before DIT so not sure how accurate

So I will be taking Level 2 next week. Granted things will change drastically, however, anyone have any advice on what to do the last few days? As well as any big subjects that I should review?

Things that I have done:
  • Alot of OMM (Green book).
  • 2 COMSAEs (554 (2wks ago); 604 (last week).
  • Still doing 2 sets of UWORLD a day and 2 Sets of FM COMBANK because Ive scored the lowest in Family Practice topics.
Kinda at a loss at this point. Ive heard OB , Peds, and Surgery are big ?
Lastly, I didn't really look at pharm cards per say, only from doing UWORLD 1.5x . Should I look at this or are Qbanks enough?

Thanks in advance ! Best of luck to those taking it soon or waiting for scores already.

I know Comsae isn't necessarily the best. was just wondering on Combank...and isn't funny when you're bad at what you're profession is designed to be good at? Love when fam med is my worst.

Reactions: 1 user
Just took it the other day. Had a ton of OMM, OB, MSK. Was surprised by the amount of stats questions and calculations. Probably 10 of those. With 5 calculations. Be ready for some medical legal questions too.
Only used Combank and DIT to prep. Combank had shorter question stems than the actual Comlex. I thought anyways. I also thought that the questions were vague in Comlex compared to Combank. But I also felt that way about Comlex level 1. Good luck to everyone that still has to take it!

Thanks everyone!

Yes when family med was my worst I just shook my head. Seems fairly straight forward to fix .

As you mentioned it seems like MSK has been coming up alot, along with OB. Thanks for your advice and best of luck on your results.

Took Level 2 today. Such a strange exam, most of it is trying to decipher what they are asking you to "imply" or not to imply. Guess it's over so time will tell. As others have said I could have studied another 3 months and it wouldn't have mattered.

Reactions: 3 users
Took it yesterday. I agree with what has been said... Not as random as Comlex I last year (definitely way less neuro...).

I heard that Step 2 COMBANK is horrible and very unrepresentative of the real exam. However, I have been doing a lot of COMBANK and COMQUEST. I did like 20% UW and gave up on it, because I was recommended to do a COMLEX specific bank dt the random/horrible questions that we will see on Step 2.

Someone who used Bank, Quest, UW, and TOOK COMLEX2, can you please chime in and give your opinion whether the real COMLEX was more resembling one of those 3 banks? and if someone who has 19 days left, which would you recommend for the best bang for your buck?

Thanks and good luck to you all!

anyone know if the answers to the COMSAE's (level 2) are floating around? Would be curious to know which ones I got wrong.

also is there a COMSAE D for Level 2?

Thanks!

Anyone else care to share their experiences from the last few days? Is it a general consensus that it is less wtf than Level 1? Thanks!

There was a lot less WTF questions. However, you NEED a strong OMM, MSK, Ethics/Law/Epi, GU, GI background for this test. And it would certainly be in your best interest to look at First Aid step 1 micro. I couldn't believe the crazy micro they pulled out. It wasn't so much that it was crazy; it was that the clues they gave were only from step 1 stuff. It wasn't a hard test, but there was some frustrating components to it. I'm more pissed because I knew it wasn't a hard test, but I don't think I did well. Honestly, the question stem length was in between Combank and Uworld. Not as long questions as UWORLD, but the vagueness in answer choices to it. Combank was not enough for the OMM though. I averaged 80%+ on COMBANK OMM and felt like I knew less than 50% of the OMM they asked. It had some viscerosomatics, but then it would have some next best step questions with OMM. Oh and a lot of stupid foot questions. Needless to say, OMM will not be in my future.

And it would certainly be in your best interest to look at First Aid step 1 micro. I couldn't believe the crazy micro they pulled out. It wasn't so much that it was crazy; it was that the clues they gave were only from step 1 stuff.
So the micro on Combank/Comquest wasn't enough?

So the micro on Combank/Comquest wasn't enough?

Not even close. Combank was very oriented to the main bugs and their presentations. Really, if you annotated step 1 really well from last year, you will be golden. It's just annoying have to learn that stuff. It definitely wasn't in DIT or SUTS2. I only knew it because I heard the micro was rough and sure enough, it was stuff from that book.

Reactions: 2 users
Yep, took it on Monday, feeling defeated for sure. I don't know how else I would have prepared for that!

Hey all, figured I'd share my experience to give some hope or whatever. I used First Aid for step 2, Step up to Step 2 and Combank. I thought Combank was very close to the real deal. I took all three Comsae's and didn't feel like they were really that close at all to the real thing. I've had a lot of friends whose scores varied by well over 100 points from their Comsae's so be weary about what they really tell you.

COMSAE C: 413
COMSAE B: 527
COMSAE A: 396.....wtf

Despite my poor performance on Comsae's I still finished my Combank first pass with a 73% and was doing well on my questions so I decided to keep my date because I was over studying for this stupid exam. Thought the real thing was fair, not many wtf questions. Goes much faster than step 1.

Real Deal: 529

So study hard and don't get discouraged by Comsae's, like I said many of my friends had bigger differences than me. Combank was good in my opinion. Hope this helps some of you.

Hey all, figured I'd share my experience to give some hope or whatever. I used First Aid for step 2, Step up to Step 2 and Combank. I thought Combank was very close to the real deal. I took all three Comsae's and didn't feel like they were really that close at all to the real thing. I've had a lot of friends whose scores varied by well over 100 points from their Comsae's so be weary about what they really tell you.

Despite my poor performance on Comsae's I still finished my Combank first pass with a 73% and was doing well on my questions so I decided to keep my date because I was over studying for this stupid exam. Thought the real thing was fair, not many wtf questions. Goes much faster than step 1.

So study hard and don't get discouraged by Comsae's, like I said many of my friends had bigger differences than me. Combank was good in my opinion. Hope this helps some of you.
thank you. I took COMSAE A yesterday and was a bit discouraged, however, I plan to take level 2 as planned, July 14.

What was your comsae D? I got a 425 on D and am very worried :(

For Level 1 I dropped 100 points from COMSAE D to the real thing.

Anyone else take the exam on Monday June 27th? I took comsaes B and C and got 500+ on both, but honestly felt like i guessed on 50% of the exam
Spoke to people who took the exam on other days and they said it wasn't bad at all

Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience this monday

Anyone else take the exam on Monday June 27th? I took comsaes B and C and got 500+ on both, but honestly felt like i guessed on 50% of the exam
Spoke to people who took the exam on other days and they said it wasn't bad at all

Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience this monday

I did. I felt the same way. My goodness, what was that??

I have no clue, I've just felt depressed since i took it
all of the wtf questions had me so messed up I think I got a bunch of the few easy questions that there were wrong too!

Reactions: 1 user
Took COMBANK self assessment B today, 71.5% and peer score 56.4%. Not sure how this correlates with COMLEX 2? For me it is an indication that I am ready to take the beast.

Guys do you have a good source to review tender points for muscles and referred pain patterns? They give pictures with X s on tender point and ask what muscle could be involved. did not see stuff like that in review books.
Certainly high in weird micro question, lots of peds and OB
also huge amount of medical legal questions medicaid payments etc.. no idea where to review those from either.. ? these are not covered in regular ethics books any tips on source for these.

Questions are certainly longer more like Uworld than combank now so prepare for that...

keep sharing plz

Guys do you have a good source to review tender points for muscles and referred pain patterns? They give pictures with X s on tender point and ask what muscle could be involved. did not see stuff like that in review books.
Certainly high in weird micro question, lots of peds and OB
also huge amount of medical legal questions medicaid payments etc.. no idea where to review those from either.. ? these are not covered in regular ethics books any tips on source for these.

Questions are certainly longer more like Uworld than combank now so prepare for that...

keep sharing plz
I am using Kaplan Step 2 CK book for Behavioral Science and Ethics

I have a month of dedicated study time and was wondering, should I do Combank or UWorld? I've done a little bit of Combank here and there throughout the year. I plan on only taking Comlex. Thanks!

I have a month of dedicated study time and was wondering, should I do Combank or UWorld? I've done a little bit of Combank here and there throughout the year. I plan on only taking Comlex. Thanks!

Do Uworld to learn material first; do COMBANK in the last couple of weeks to learn the laws, ethics, OMM, micro, random WTF questions.

6 days left. any recommendations?

COMSAE D- 482 (6 weeks out)
COMSAE C- 602 (1 week out)
COMBANK 1st pass- ~70%
UWORLD 1st pass- ~60%

Last edited:
Where did you people get COMSAE D? Or was it like Level 1 and the school bought it for you?