*~*~*~* Official 2017-2018 Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some ADEA rules to consider if you hold few schools in your pocket:
Applicants holding positions at multiple institutions.
Dental schools participating in AADSAS will report to AADSAS by April 1, the names and identification numbers of candidates who have paid a deposit and/or hold a position in their entering class. After April 5, AADSAS will report to each institution the names of candidates in their entering class who are holding acceptance(s) at additional institutions. Dental schools will have the option of rescinding an offer of admission to candidates who have paid deposits and are holding positions at multiple institutions

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 13 users
Are any schools still giving out interviews? My status at UTHSC says under review and it says none for MW-Illinois. I called Midwestern Illinois to ask about what I could do to improve my application for this upcoming cycle, and they talked like my app was still being reviewed this late in the game. Are these basically just silent rejections?
Lindseyd25 : couple schools asked me this week for an interview ( I do not know how it happened as I withdrew my application from both a month ago- Roseman and Creighton) also NYU interviews until end of April , probably few other schools as well

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejection w/o interview #3: Maryland (3/2)

Rejection w/o interview #4: UNLV (3/7)

Last edited:
Acceptance #2 AND decline #1, ASDOH. Declined earlier this evening. It breaks my heart bc I really loved this school.

Reactions: 2 users
Rejection #1, with interview: MOSDOH
I interviewed 2/8 and received the email today.

Hey everyone! Does anyone know if they still seriously consider applicants on the waitlist after April 1st if they already have deposits elsewhere since they can see if you do?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! Does anyone know if they still seriously consider applicants on the waitlist after April 1st if they already have deposits elsewhere since they can see if you do?
I mean if people give up on their seats, then they have to in order to fill up their class. I feel like every school has a "safety pool" from which they can draw out applicants if a spot opens.

Do you guys think it's a good idea to email the adcom asking if they have begun informing ppl on the waitlist? I'm on VCU waitlist and their deposit deadline was Februrary 28th. It seems like no one has been chosen out of the waitlist yet. Or should I continue to wait it out?

I'm wondering the same thing, whether the fact that a person has or hasn't paid a deposit elsewhere will affect them from being the next individual to be contacted in case a spot does open up?

Last edited:
I'm wondering the same thing, whether the fact that a person has or hasn't paid a deposit elsewhere will affect them from being the next individual to be contacted in case a spot does open up
Can somebody confirm if this is actually true? So, after 4/1, the admission committees at every school get to see if we paid our deposits to any school?

Can somebody confirm if this is actually true? So, after 4/1, the admission committees at every school get to see if we paid our deposits to any school?

"Dental schools participating in AADSAS will report to AADSAS by April 1, the names and identification numbers of candidates who have paid a deposit and/or hold a position in their entering class. After April 5, AADSAS will report to each institution the names of candidates in their entering class who are holding acceptance(s) at additional institutions. Dental schools will have the option of rescinding an offer of admission to candidates who have paid deposits and are holding positions at multiple institutions. Dental schools with candidates holding multiple positions on April 1 of the year of admission will give such candidates a minimum 15-day notice if they choose to withdraw them from the entering class."

Probably a dumb question but I'm getting nervous from these posts so I thought I'd ask--if I do not put down my second deposit on April 1st my seat is automatically forfeited, correct? Or do I need to send a formal e-mail giving up my seat? Thanks!!

Probably a dumb question but I'm getting nervous from these posts so I thought I'd ask--if I do not put down my second deposit on April 1st my seat is automatically forfeited, correct? Or do I need to send a formal e-mail giving up my seat? Thanks!!
I would email the school out of courtesy

Reactions: 3 users

Dont want to sound like a jerk(follows by doing just that), but is it that difficult to contact the school(s). They offered you a seat which you accepted, you may as well reciprocate by letting them know you are rescinding you acceptance.

Compare it to a girl you dated for a while. Do you go ghost or do you just break up cleanly.

Reactions: 8 users
Hi guys! I need some advice...

This interview cycle was my first applying. I was only financially able to apply to 4 schools and received 1 interview invite and subsequent acceptance (to Roseman- YAY! It was my first choice because of the dual degree-MBA program).

Before I received my acceptance I started to get ready to apply again in a couple years, so I applied for jobs and received an offer for a position that would financially allow me to take classes, raise my GPA (overall 2.98) and DAT(19 AA) so I could apply to more schools and have better chances of acceptance.

Obviously Roseman is expensive (cost of attendance for four years is some $450,000) and I would be taking out loans (no help from my family lol) on top of my $100,000 in undergrad private student loans. I do plan on finding as many scholarships as possible and I wouldn't mind serving in low-SES environments for a few years after graduation to help pay back my loans (I've also considered joining the army but didn't qualify for HSPS this round.) Is turning down an opportunity to go to dental school right now so I could potentially save money in the long run too risky? Every dentist I've talked to though has told me not to worry too much about loans because it will get paid back. I am torn. Any advice is welcome!

This interview cycle was my first applying. I was only financially able to apply to 4 schools and received 1 interview invite and subsequent acceptance (to Roseman- YAY! It was my first choice because of the dual degree-MBA program).

Before I received my acceptance I started to get ready to apply again in a couple years, so I applied for jobs and received an offer for a position that would financially allow me to take classes, raise my GPA (overall 2.98) and DAT(19 AA) so I could apply to more schools and have better chances of acceptance.

Obviously Roseman is expensive (cost of attendance for four years is some $450,000) and I would be taking out loans (no help from my family lol) on top of my $100,000 in undergrad private student loans. I do plan on finding as many scholarships as possible and I wouldn't mind serving in low-SES environments for a few years after graduation to help pay back my loans (I've also considered joining the army but didn't qualify for HSPS this round.) Is turning down an opportunity to go to dental school right now so I could potentially save money in the long run too risky? Every dentist I've talked to though has told me not to worry too much about loans because it will get paid back. I am torn. Any advice is welcome!
You have the golden ticket so I would take the acceptance and move on. There is no guarantee that you would get in next year because it depends on the applicants in the cycle. Take the win and have a repayment plan. Just my opinion

Reactions: 7 users
Obviously it wouldn't be impossible but everything that I've ever read is that turning down ANY acceptance and then reapplying is a huge red flag. The odds are already stacked against applicants without any major red flags on their applications, so you're basically asking "should I make my application worse and apply again to hope I get into a "better" school?" I'd say it's much smarter to take what you've got and do your best to be frugal. Sometimes gambling pays off, but I think it's more likely you'd be shooting yourself in the foot. Even if you got into a cheaper school, one extra year of income may be close or more money than you'd save.

The best dental school, for many, is the one you get accepted to. One thing to keep in mind is that it is a "good" debt (as opposed to credit card debt). A dental degree will pay dividends for the rest of your working life if you plan well. You can still go for the military route after the first year to cut some costs for the last 3 years. See you in August!

You would be choosing a year of making average pay and eliminate one possible year of dental pay. IMO if you work hard it will not be too difficult to pay off. You are choosing a profession that has substantial dividends and compensated very well. In the long run, it is just money (sounds funny but true). Just put your head down and work hard, don't worry about the money. Seems foolish to not accept.....

I also only applied to 4 schools due to my financial situation, so I totally understand the financial burden. In my opinion, you should take the opportunity this year to go to dental school. I wouldn’t risk passing up an acceptance. Getting into dental school is such a challenge and although you’d be making money for a while until you apply again, that’s still another four years of schooling where you’d be living off loans. To me, it’s worth finishing school earlier rather than waiting the extra year . Congrats on roseman!!

Congratulations on the acceptance - and to your top choice! Awesome :)
Personally, I would take the acceptance and do EVERYTHING in my power to obtain a scholarship. Look into the NHSC scholarship ASAP so you can begin to get your application together, it opens soon! If that doesn’t work out, you can contact Health Professions recruiters from the Navy, Air Force, and Army to give yourself a shot at 3 years of HPSP benefits. Also, look into applications for the smaller scholarships (Tylenol, etc.); they don’t cover everything, but they can certainly help.

Rejection #1
School: Maryland
Without interview

Rejection #2
School: UPenn
Without interview

Acceptance #1
School: BU
Interviewed: Feb13th, 2018
Accepted: Mar 7th, 2018
Scholarship: $10k per year

Acceptance #2
School: NYU
Interviewed: Mar 5th, 2018
Accepted: Mar 9th, 2018

(Silence from Harvard and Columbia)

Hi! I am an international student (Chinese citizen) applying from a Canadian school. I am so excited to share the good news with you!! I applied late (submitted everything in October) and was so worried at first, but now I can say I feel much more relieved!
I could not have done this without the support from sdn, including this thread and the interview feedback.

Now I need to make a decision between BU and NYU.
The estimated cost of attendance is around 110k higher if I go to NYU. But I'm not sure how reliable that number is - educational expenses are almost the same; living expenses shouldn't be that different either.
As for the academics, I personally prefer NYU. Based on what I heard from the attending students and alumni there, they get lots of patients starting D2 and are trained for all sorts of cases.
Yes, NYU is factory-sized, but that doesn't seem to bother the students there. They're on a group practice model. The didactics might be indeed weaker.
Any thoughts on the two schools and experience with the cost? Comments will be greatly appreciated!

Wish everyone a bright future in dentistry!

Last edited:
Rejection #1
Without interview

Rejection #2
Without interview

Acceptance #1

Acceptance #2

Hi! I am an international student (Chinese citizen) applying from a Canadian school. I am so excited to share the good news with you!! I applied late (submitted everything in October) and was so worried at first, but now I can say I feel much more relieved!
I could not have done this without the support from sdn, including this thread and the interview feedback.

The estimated cost of attendance is around 110k higher if I go to NYU. But I'm not sure how reliable that number is - educational expenses are almost the same; living expenses shouldn't be that different either.
As for the academics, I personally prefer NYU. Based on what I heard from the attending students and alumni there, they get lots of patients starting D2 and are trained for all sorts of cases.
Yes, NYU is factory-sized, but that doesn't seem to bother the students there. They're on a group practice model. The didactics might be indeed weaker.
Any thoughts on the two schools and experience with the cost? Comments will be greatly appreciated!

If you go to BU you save $110k
Go to BU

Attending: NYU
Accepted: VCU, Nova, Roseman (last cycle)
Interviews: Rutgers (rejected)
Declined Interviews: MWU-IL, Colorado
Waitlisted: UNE

Rejection #1
Without interview

Rejection #2
Without interview

Acceptance #1

Acceptance #2

Go to NYU cause I am waiting to get into BU ;)

Acceptance #1

Hey, you were in my interview group at BU on the 13th! I’m so happy you’ve been accepted! I was put on the alternate list on March 6th.

So I guess from my selfish point of view, I’d say NYU is an amazing school and you should go there... You know, spread the dental school acceptance love.

Most SDN users will tell you to go wherever is cheapest, but if there is something truly special you see in NYU I wouldn’t let that dissuade you from attending. However, there’s a reason I didn’t even bother applying to NYU and I personally think Boston is a better city. It is your decision though, no one here or anywhere can make it for you. And if you do end up at BU, congratulations! I hope we could end up as classmates.

Hey, you were in my interview group at BU on the 13th! I’m so happy you’ve been accepted! I was put on the alternate list on March 6th.

So I guess from my selfish point of view, I’d say NYU is an amazing school and you should go there... You know, spread the dental school acceptance love.

Most SDN users will tell you to go wherever is cheapest, but if there is something truly special you see in NYU I wouldn’t let that dissuade you from attending. However, there’s a reason I didn’t even bother applying to NYU and I personally think Boston is a better city. It is your decision though, no one here or anywhere can make it for you. And if you do end up at BU, congratulations! I hope we could end up as classmates.
Everyone is getting waitlisted at bu, I haven't heard anything and interviewed on the 12th of Feb. Maybe that's a good sign for me? o_O or not

I didn't even know they were still interviewing people considering it's almost halfway through march, but I got an interview invite at Case Western yesterday. I will be declining it though!

Finally! Acceptance #1 NYU ~3.6 oGPA , ~3.6 sGPA 21 AA 22 TS nothing below 20. Still waiting on UDM and Minnesota.

For those who are still waiting, I know the wait sucks. This process is brutal but if this is what you want you will eventually get accepted. You just have to have hope :) Hope is key!

Reactions: 12 users
Accepted to UCSF and Pitt! Waitlisted at Columbia.

Only waiting on USC now :)

My family is leaning towards NYU as well (primarily because of its QS ranking, to be honest). This is such a difficult decision, and I still need to figure out how I'll cover the cost of attendance (as an international student I'm not eligible for federal loans), but I'm very likely going to put down a deposit at NYU next week and see how it goes!
Anyways, it's so nice to see you here. I hope you get into BU soon!

Finally! Acceptance #1 NYU ~3.6 oGPA , ~3.6 sGPA 21 AA 22 TS nothing below 20. Still waiting on UDM and Minnesota.

For those who are still waiting, I know the wait sucks. This process is brutal but if this is what you want you will eventually get accepted. You just have to have hope :) Hope is key!

Congrats, glad everything worked out!

My family is leaning towards NYU as well (primarily because of its QS ranking, to be honest). This is such a difficult decision, and I still need to figure out how I'll cover the cost of attendance (as an international student I'm not eligible for federal loans), but I'm very likely going to put down a deposit at NYU next week and see how it goes!

What is QS ranking?

Thanks! Maybe I'll luck out with your spot lol

If you don't mind me asking, what was the deadline BU gave to submit their deposit?

Status
Not open for further replies.