Official 2017 COMLEX Level 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roxas

Giggity!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright friends, let's do this.

I'm planning on sitting sometime in late June (COMLEX only). FA 2017 is on the way, starting UWorld in January and Combank around April.

Feel free to share and help keep each other accountable until we slay the beast.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
if i was you id just look over the stuff like an hour before , i wouldnt waste time writing them all down, its not the step where you get actual breaks and with all these media presentations it might eat up some of our time

I didn't write anything down because that generally doesn't help me, but just so you know you do get actual breaks - 10 minutes between blocks 2 and 3, 40 mins for lunch, and 10 mins between blocks 6 and 7. Unlike USMLE, unused block time/tutorial time does not get added to the breaks.

I didn't write anything down because that generally doesn't help me, but just so you know you do get actual breaks - 10 minutes between blocks 2 and 3, 40 mins for lunch, and 10 mins between blocks 6 and 7. Unlike USMLE, unused block time/tutorial time does not get added to the breaks.
this is new, i was under the impression we had the 9 hour thing again. And so can we take lunch at block 5 ?

this is new, i was under the impression we had the 9 hour thing again. And so can we take lunch at block 5 ?

Yes, it's new this year. The break time doesn't come out of your test time like in previous years lol. Other new changes include that you are given reference ranges for relevant lab values (it's in the question stem itself, which is nice). And yeah, the lunch is between blocks 4 and 5.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it's new this year. The break time doesn't come out of your test time like in previous years lol. Other new changes include that you are given reference ranges for relevant lab values (it's in the question stem itself, which is nice). And yeah, the lunch is between blocks 4 and 5.
perfect, i wasnt aware of this change. Also last question since your online ha. Say my bladder decides its bathroom time and i havent used all of my break time for lunch can i just go or nah ?

perfect, i wasnt aware of this change. Also last question since your online ha. Say my bladder decides its bathroom time and i havent used all of my break time for lunch can i just go or nah ?

You can't go except for those listed times. I mean, it's entirely possible you *can* and it will just show up as a testing irregularity or something. But probably better to not do that unless you're going to pee on yourself ;) I preferred the more relaxed break scheduling of USMLE, but at least getting dedicated break time is an improvement from previous years.

You can't go except for those listed times. I mean, it's entirely possible you *can* and it will just show up as a testing irregularity or something. But probably better to not do that unless you're going to pee on yourself ;) I preferred the more relaxed break scheduling of USMLE, but at least getting dedicated break time is an improvement from previous years.
ugh thats a drag. Of course the Nbome drops the ball on everything

Hey guys, any advice on how to interpret these COMSAE scores to the real deal?

Comsae C - 465
Comsae A - 549
COMBANK avg - 70% at the end

Just took the COMLEX level 1 and I keep thinking I might have failed it...

Hey guys, any advice on how to interpret these COMSAE scores to the real deal?

Comsae C - 465
Comsae A - 549
COMBANK avg - 70% at the end

Just took the COMLEX level 1 and I keep thinking I might have failed it...
i have yet to meet anyone coming out of ANY board exam say they killed it, im sure you passed. how far out did you take the comsaes ?

Taking the USMLE June 20th and COMLEX June 28th.
Stats so far:
3 months out: COMSAE C (528)
2 months out: COMSAE D (667)
1.5 months out: UWorld Assessment 1 (247)
1 month out: UWorld Assessment 2 (254)
1 month out: NBME 16 (240)
3 weeks out: NBME 19 (236), missed some really easy points
2 weeks out: COMSAE E (727)
UWorld Average: ~71%, Timed and Random
Taking NBME 17 next week, heard that predicts performance pretty accurately on the USMLE
Shooting for a 700+ on COMLEX and 250+ on USMLE

Reactions: 1 users
Taking the USMLE June 20th and COMLEX June 28th.
Stats so far:
3 months out: COMSAE C (528)
2 months out: COMSAE D (667)
1.5 months out: UWorld Assessment 1 (247)
1 month out: UWorld Assessment 2 (254)
1 month out: NBME 16 (240)
3 weeks out: NBME 19 (236), missed some really easy points
2 weeks out: COMSAE E (727)
UWorld Average: ~71%, Timed and Random
Taking NBME 17 next week, heard that predicts performance pretty accurately on the USMLE
Shooting for a 700+ on COMLEX and 250+ on USMLE

Damn man nice goals, id be happy with a 550. You got this no problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished a damn thing much more difficult than I thought nothing like the comsaes . In fact 10 questions on the comsae were equivalent to one question stem on the real thing. I'm just extremely scarce. A lot of micro a lot of neuro a lot of MSK a lot of OMT. I had a few videos as well I want to say maybe 10 . A lot of pictures as well. I felt like I was taking Uworld block length question stems . Now that may sound easy but you forget that there's 50 questions and you basically like have a minute in 5 second per questions . Also had a decent amount of ethics questions some bio stats even bio chemistry was there a bit too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just finished a damn thing much more difficult than I thought nothing like the comsaes . In fact 10 questions on the comsae were equivalent to one question stem on the real thing. I'm just extremely scarce. A lot of micro a lot of neuro a lot of MSK a lot of OMT. I had a few videos as well I want to say maybe 10 . A lot of pictures as well. I felt like I was taking Uworld block length question stems . Now that may sound easy but you forget that there's 50 questions and you basically like have a minute in 5 second per questions . Also had a decent amount of ethics questions some bio stats even bio chemistry was there a bit too.

Congrats on completing! Was the material stuff from FA?

Most of it yes , but just like I said before how your tester on it is nothing like everybody has been saying at least from my experience . A lot of bugs found in odd places . It's really hard to read the whole question. There's not enough time. if you try to cherry pick your way through the question you'll choose an answer and get it wrong. Lots of distractions . Videos were horribly long .

Most of it yes , but just like I said before how your tester on it is nothing like everybody has been saying at least from my experience . A lot of bugs found in odd places . It's really hard to read the whole question. There's not enough time. if you try to cherry pick your way through the question you'll choose an answer and get it wrong. Lots of distractions . Videos were horribly long .

thanks for the feedback. Did you finish on time?

thanks for the feedback. Did you finish on time?
I finished in time but i was trying to review my last block didnt review it all the way
As for everyone doing questions still. ALL THE COMLEX BANKS ARE GARBAGE. use them only for omt. Practice UWORLD blocks. The question are just as long. some just as complex

I finished in time but i was trying to review my last block didnt review it all the way
As for everyone doing questions still. ALL THE COMLEX BANKS ARE GARBAGE. use them only for omt. Practice UWORLD blocks. The question are just as long. some just as complex

so here my thing. Ive done uworld, combank and comsae. I understand that for the most part comsae is useless. The thing that gets me about uworld is that they will ask questions that are way different style then comlex. lenght could be the same yes but the material is different. For instance in uworld they will ask me what site the amino acid attaches to trna when that will never get asked on comlex. yes combank might be shorter in lenght but from what I read the style is more true. Did you feel that way during the test?

Just finished COMLEX!!! So glad to have that behind me. Now for the dirty details.
I feel that the previous write ups about test experiences were similar to what I had today. Question stems were quite long but nothing too difficult. You really just have to get in that focused zone and not let anything break your concentration. There were also quite a bit of 1-2 sentence questions. I got a lot of first and second order questions that were amateur hour compared to what is seen on the USMLE.
My test tended to repeat the same concepts over and over again. I swear I got the same question 4 times but worded differently. I even had the same histo image in two different questions where the answers were obviously the same both times. This test had it's share of WTF questions. I particularly did not like the video questions where it showed a physician performing a treatment then asked you to give them the dysfunction being treated, but these were few and far between.

Heaviest tested topics on my test: Cardio, OMM, Neuro, Micro, and Respiratory.
Cardio: Extremely vague questions with little detail that required some leaps of faith.
OMM: Straightforward questions. I used Saverese and Kaplan Comlex Q bank to prepare and they didn't let me down.
Micro: Lots of classic buzzwords. Picmonic saved me. I had several questions that were nearly verbatim from the Kaplan Comlex Q bank.
Neuro: Mostly stuff that can be found in Saverese. Dermatomes, spinal root levels, viscerosomatics, etc.
Respiratory: Probably my toughest questions. I would know your chest Xray's and CT's cold.

I took Step 1 last week and did almost 2.5 passes through Uworld so to prepare for COMLEX I only read Saverese and and cherry picked through the Kaplan Q bank. I specifically did the Kaplan comlex bank and did all of their OMM, micro, and MSK questions. I didn't do COMBANK of COMQUEST so I can't speak to their effectiveness but I will say that I was VERY pleased with Kaplan's OMM an micro. There was hardly an OMM question I couldn't confidently answer and I'm definitely not the greatest at OMM. Kaplan asks weird questions like asking you to diagnose a parasite based off of some vague description of their eggs....... those won't show up on the exam, right?? Wrong, they're on their and Kaplan prepares you for them. I highly recommend only Kaplan for micro and OMM. Everything else is in Uworld. I think that's about all I got. Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 4 users
so here my thing. Ive done uworld, combank and comsae. I understand that for the most part comsae is useless. The thing that gets me about uworld is that they will ask questions that are way different style then comlex. lenght could be the same yes but the material is different. For instance in uworld they will ask me what site the amino acid attaches to trna when that will never get asked on comlex. yes combank might be shorter in lenght but from what I read the style is more true. Did you feel that way during the test?
I actually had a few specific biochem questions so i wouldnt say comlex doesnt go for that . But what im trying to say and this may be misunderstood in my previous post , but the question LENGTH is more like UWORLD. Most questions i had were about 4-5 sentences long minimum. Alot of them were much longer. I suggest EVERYONE do QBANK OMT QUESTION. NOT REAL COMBANK/COMQUEST actual question, just do their omt question. When you do the actual exam there is alot of distraction in the stem so you really have to read the entire thing. You cant just read the last sentence on all of them and know what they are asking like you could do in combank

Just finished COMLEX!!! So glad to have that behind me. Now for the dirty details.
I feel that the previous write ups about test experiences were similar to what I had today. Question stems were quite long but nothing too difficult. You really just have to get in that focused zone and not let anything break your concentration. There were also quite a bit of 1-2 sentence questions. I got a lot of first and second order questions that were amateur hour compared to what is seen on the USMLE.
My test tended to repeat the same concepts over and over again. I swear I got the same question 4 times but worded differently. I even had the same histo image in two different questions where the answers were obviously the same both times. This test had it's share of WTF questions. I particularly did not like the video questions where it showed a physician performing a treatment then asked you to give them the dysfunction being treated, but these were few and far between.

Cardio: Extremely vague questions with little detail that required some leaps of faith.
OMM: Straightforward questions. I used Saverese and Kaplan Comlex Q bank to prepare and they didn't let me down.
Micro: Lots of classic buzzwords. Picmonic saved me. I had several questions that were nearly verbatim from the Kaplan Comlex Q bank.
Neuro: Mostly stuff that can be found in Saverese. Dermatomes, spinal root levels, viscerosomatics, etc.
Respiratory: Probably my toughest questions. I would know your chest Xray's and CT's cold.

I took Step 1 last week and did almost 2.5 passes through Uworld so to prepare for COMLEX I only read Saverese and and cherry picked through the Kaplan Q bank. I specifically did the Kaplan comlex bank and did all of their OMM, micro, and MSK questions. I didn't do COMBANK of COMQUEST so I can't speak to their effectiveness but I will say that I was VERY pleased with Kaplan's OMM an micro. There was hardly an OMM question I couldn't confidently answer and I'm definitely not the greatest at OMM. Kaplan asks weird questions like asking you to diagnose a parasite based off of some vague description of their eggs....... those won't show up on the exam, right?? Wrong, they're on their and Kaplan prepares you for them. I highly recommend only Kaplan for micro and OMM. Everything else is in Uworld. I think that's about all I got. Best of luck to you all!
Besides the Cardio and the Resp this sounds very similar to mine, i had alot of neuro, msk questions.

So is UWORLD better for neuro and msk?

yah, I was going to ask a similar question. Pretty much, which resources you all felt were helpful for what topics.

For example, when I saw neuro suggested several times. I was thinking FA neuro - brain bleeds, lesions, degenerative disorders, tumors. Little surprised that it was omm neuro like in The Dayman's post. I super appreciate the specific breakdown!

almost 2 week countdown and I feel like I have pseudo-bipolarism. "Yah, if I study hard, I'm going to pass!" 2 seconds later "I'm going to fail no mater what". ugh.

yah, I was going to ask a similar question. Pretty much, which resources you all felt were helpful for what topics.

For example, when I saw neuro suggested several times. I was thinking FA neuro - brain bleeds, lesions, degenerative disorders, tumors. Little surprised that it was omm neuro like in The Dayman's post. I super appreciate the specific breakdown!

almost 2 week countdown and I feel like I have pseudo-bipolarism. "Yah, if I study hard, I'm going to pass!" 2 seconds later "I'm going to fail no mater what". ugh.
Come to think of it, I did get some lesion questions where you had to narrow symptoms down to a certain lobe or segment of brainstem. They were pretty simple though. FA covers them well.

Reactions: 3 users
My clear weakness in OMT is treatment positioning for things like counterstrain, but things you can logically deduce like MET positioning are not a problem. Any advice or will there likely be negligible questions on that?

My clear weakness in OMT is treatment positioning for things like counterstrain, but things you can logically deduce like MET positioning are not a problem. Any advice or will there likely be negligible questions on that?
I can recall a few where it told you where the sore counterstrain point was and then asked you how to position their arm or leg. If you know how to position someone for a direct or indirect treatment you should be ok. They might give you a diagnosis (C3F-RrSr) and ask you how to treat it directly, simple stuff. It will likely benefit you to know how to diagnose the pelvis and understand how it correlates to seated flexion test, backward bend test, sacral sulcus deep/shallow, etc.

I just used my school OMM handouts to go over those.

how long would you say it took you to get through the OMM, micro, msk questions via kaplans qbank?

how long did it take you to get through omm, micro, msk questions via kaplans qbank

how was epidemiology/bioterrorism questions? also anything pertaining to gowning and gloving

Had a question I would consider to be in the category of bioterrorism (anthrax) but it was easy. One question on universal precautions. I think boards and beyond has a good video on the subject that should answer most questions.

how long did it take you to get through omm, micro, msk questions via kaplans qbank
OMM took several hours. There were around 400 I think and as I did them I annotated stuff into Saverese for completeness.
Micro took about an hour. Only 90 questions in the bank and they were mostly simple questions with a few odd balls sprinkled in.

I took my COMLEX yesterday so I thought I'd hop on and give some advice. My test felt like 80% bugs/drugs and 20% counterstrain points and treatments. Which was frustrating because I'm really good with the sacrum and seriously got nothing there. The other minority of my exam were largely MSK/Neuro. So the rumors are true, odd bugs are extremely high yield. I would say the toughest part about this exam is the convoluted question stems. There's no question bank that is awful enough to give you enough practice for these super vague question stems. I would say COMBANK is the best representation, and there were a few I only got right because I remembered it straight from this bank. I thought UWORLD was a much better representation of the USMLE, with the majority of the exam like NBME 18/19, but I don't think it was anything like my COMLEX. The questions were wordy and poorly written which just made finding a 'groove' difficult and by the end I was so exhausted. I took the USMLE a few days prior and honestly could have studied afterwards if I wanted. The COMLEX just wears you out even though the questions are not as 3rd ordered. Good luck.

I took my COMLEX yesterday so I thought I'd hop on and give some advice. My test felt like 80% bugs/drugs and 20% counterstrain points and treatments. Which was frustrating because I'm really good with the sacrum and seriously got nothing there. The other minority of my exam were largely MSK/Neuro. So the rumors are true, odd bugs are extremely high yield. I would say the toughest part about this exam is the convoluted question stems. There's no question bank that is awful enough to give you enough practice for these super vague question stems. I would say COMBANK is the best representation, and there were a few I only got right because I remembered it straight from this bank. I thought UWORLD was a much better representation of the USMLE, with the majority of the exam like NBME 18/19, but I don't think it was anything like my COMLEX. The questions were wordy and poorly written which just made finding a 'groove' difficult and by the end I was so exhausted. I took the USMLE a few days prior and honestly could have studied afterwards if I wanted. The COMLEX just wears you out even though the questions are not as 3rd ordered. Good luck.

Congrats on finishing! When you odd bugs are you talking bugs not out of First Aid?

Congrats on finishing! When you odd bugs are you talking bugs not out of First Aid?

Odd as in not commonly encountered in qbanks. E.g. scabies, everything tics, tissue nematodes, GI nematodes, 1 trematode, one question was literally a picture of a tic and asked what species it was lol diphylabothrium (or w/e) one described an egg (pretty sure it was describing Ascaris's egg, the lumps or w/e). That's all I can think of right now but I'm sure I can keep going if I tried

Thanks for posting this :). This is pretty reassuring that comlex isn't as bad as I'm (to my self) making it out to be.

Thanks for posting this :). This is pretty reassuring that comlex isn't as bad as I'm (to my self) making it out to be.
Well, I think we are all doing it to ourselves really. We all stress about this test like crazy where in reality it has a close to 90% pass rate and unless you want something competitive a 500-550 would do fine for most spots. We got this far and we will conquer this step too.

Had a question I would consider to be in the category of bioterrorism (anthrax) but it was easy. One question on universal precautions. I think boards and beyond has a good video on the subject that should answer most questions.

OMM took several hours. There were around 400 I think and as I did them I annotated stuff into Saverese for completeness.
Micro took about an hour. Only 90 questions in the bank and they were mostly simple questions with a few odd balls sprinkled in.

Okay cool thank you for sharing! I think i actually was more into OMM than most people so its never really been to bad to me question wise, but ive heard some of the comlex questions with omm can be impossible. But you know how everyone has an opinion..

Is it true COMSAE E Is the hardest/most accurate predictor? Took my schools mandate last week and got a 455. I was wondering how accurate this would be with a month out as I'd like to break 500

Is it true COMSAE E Is the hardest/most accurate predictor? Took my schools mandate last week and got a 455. I was wondering how accurate this would be with a month out as I'd like to break 500

my school did statistics on comsae vs comlex over several years.(we also took E) The only thing they concluded that getting above a 450 means there is a high probability of you passing the comlex. score wise it was allover the place.

my school did statistics on comsae vs comlex over several years.(we also took E) The only thing they concluded that getting above a 450 means there is a high probability of you passing the comlex. score wise it was allover the place.

That's better than nothing! Thanks for the info!

What school? Because my school did one as well. And our professors told us that if we are getting at least an 80 in every class and we will do well which I don't know if that's actually the case

What school? Because my school did one as well. And our professors told us that if we are getting at least an 80 in every class and we will do well which I don't know if that's actually the case

I am at WCUCOM and we had a gpa analysis too and for the most part people at the top half did the best and bottom didnt but we also had a lot of anomalies so couldnt be taken to seriously

I was wondering if anyone who has listened to Goljan audio has any recommendations for me. I have to move out out of my apartment and drive 4 hours 1 way to get to my new place. I might have to make a few trips, I'm not sure yet :/ To be specific, I could loose 16 hours or 24 hours worth of study time (over 2-3 days lol) and I'd like to replace it with Goljan so I'm still learning.

thanks

Oh, cardio is a must for me since I'm still bad in it so there's 4 hours there.

I was wondering if anyone who has listened to Goljan audio has any recommendations for me. I have to move out out of my apartment and drive 4 hours 1 way to get to my new place. I might have to make a few trips, I'm not sure yet :/ To be specific, I could loose 16 hours or 24 hours worth of study time (over 2-3 days lol) and I'd like to replace it with Goljan so I'm still learning.

thanks

Oh, cardio is a must for me since I'm still bad in it so there's 4 hours there.

You can listen to Goljan or convert pathoma to audio both would work great.

Took it recently and seemingly ripped through this test. Plenty of straightforward questions, and the questions with long stems trying to confuse the test taker had the answer somewhere in the stem if you knew what to look for. Did not do any comlex specific prep except reviewing chapman's and viscerosomatics the days leading up to the exam.

Took it recently and seemingly ripped through this test. Plenty of straightforward questions, and the questions with long stems trying to confuse the test taker had the answer somewhere in the stem if you knew what to look for. Did not do any comlex specific prep except reviewing chapman's and viscerosomatics the days leading up to the exam.
Can you share any thoughts on the similarity of questions from COMSAEs or Combank/Comquest to the exam?