*** Official 2017 Peds Match Results ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

free99

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to everyone, what an accomplishment! You guys know the drill, please follow the format below.

Name:
Program Matched:
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
International Student (yes/no):
NBDE Scores if applicable:
ADAT taken (yes/no)? If yes, score?
Class Ranking/Size:
Externship(s)/where:
Research:
Extracurriculars:
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone, what an accomplishment! You guys know the drill, please follow the format below.

Name:
Program Matched:
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
International Student (yes/no):
NBDE Part I / NBME scores:
Class Ranking/Size:
Externship(s)/where:
Research:
Extracurriculars:
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked:

It would be interesting to know who took the ADAT this year and how people did on that.

Reactions: 1 user
Program Matched: St. Christopher's Hospital for Children-philly
Dental School Attended: Temple
Year Earned DMD/DDS: yes
International Student (yes/no): no
NBDE Scores if applicable: 92
ADAT taken (yes/no)? If yes, score? no
Class Ranking/Size: 36/128
GPA: 3.58
Externship(s)/where: none
Research: undergrad-non dental related
Extracurriculars: outreach, worked at pediatric dental office and medicaid clinic
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 4/1/1/1

Members don't see this ad :)
****POST MATCH POSITION(S) AVAILABLE***

NYU Luteran Maryland has OPENED TWO (2) post match positions.
All positions made available through MATCH were filled, BUT two new positions have been made available.
Applications can be filed through the PASS portal by adding NYU Lutheran Maryland to your PASS application.
Additional information is available on NYU Lutheran Pediatric Dental website.

Best of luck,
Genie ;)

Program Matched: I was prematch but it was UT San Antonio
Dental School Attended: University of Puerto Rico
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2011
NBDE Scores if applicable: 70s
Class Ranking/Size: don't remember
Externship(s)/where: University of Puerto Rico
Research: none but was working on a practicum for my Masters in Public Health
Extracurriculars: community activities with children
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 7/4/4/ did not go through match

Program Matched: LMC-Tucson
Dental School Attended: Creighton
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2014
NBDE Scores if applicable: N/A
ADAT taken (yes/no)? If yes, score? No
Class Ranking/Size: 29/82
Externship(s)/where: 3 years work experience.
Research: N/A
Extracurriculars: Lots of volunteering
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 11/3/3/3

Kind of a dead thread here...
I'll add this to spice things up:

Buffalo matched 6 students into peds --

3 at Buffalo
1 at Boston Children's
1 at VCU
1 at Indiana University

Very surprised at the lack of posts! Last year and previous years, the match threads have been very active.
Come on people, don't be shy ;)

Program Matched: University-based program
Dental School Attended: East coast private school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2014
Class Ranking/Size: top 5-10%
Externship(s)/where: None
Research: 4 years of non-dental related research prior to dental school, 3 years during dental school
Extracurriculars: ASDA, ADEA, community outreach
GPR & work experience
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 13/7/6/6

Did not apply to any LMC programs or programs that charge tuition. Applied to 8 university-based and 5 hospital-based.

Observations for the application/interview process:
-GPR/AEGD experience is definitely valued by some programs, but I heard that some programs prefer residents directly from dental school.
-Some programs that I would have liked to apply to stated that ADAT was a requirement, but I heard from others on the interview trail that these programs offered interviews to some applicants without ADAT scores. This may not be relevant next cycle.

Program Matched: Hospital-based program
Dental School Attended: west coast
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2007
NBDE Scores if applicable: 89
ADAT taken (yes/no)? If yes, score? No
Class Ranking/Size: no ranking
Externship(s)/where: only did one day externship at 3 programs.
Research: 2 years before dental school
Extracurriculars: community activities, professional memberships, attended pedo seminars.
Program applied: 30 (very expensive. I could have cut back some of the programs but two of the programs which I did not think they would invite me for interview but they did & I matched with one of them. You never know where you will land on).
Interviewed: 6

I applied last year but did not match. I was very very sad and wanted to give up. However, I decided to pursue it again. I asked myself "what can I do differently to improve my application ?"
1. Send out application EARLY! Very important! I was actually shock that some of the programs sent out interview invitations before the deadline.
2. Letter of recommendation. Pick and choose someone you trust to write you a letter.
3. A catchy personal statement. Have someone (or pay someone) to look over the statement.
4. Practice the interview with someone who has experience. It can be nerve wrecking. I don't like bragging about myself & my achievements in font of a panel. With lots of practice, I was more prepared & confident during my interviews.
By sharing my experience I hope it will help those who plan on applying or reapplying for the next cycle.
I have a Residency Interview by Jessica Freedman MD book that I want to give away. If you message me, I can mail it to you for free.

Good luck.

Program Matched: Midwest program
Dental School Attended: UMKC
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2017
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Scores if applicable: Pass/Pass
ADAT taken (yes/no)? No
Class Ranking/Size: Mid-pack/109
Externship(s)/where: 3 day externship, several 1 day visits/externships, several pediatric office shadowing days
Research: Small amounts in both undergrad and dental school
Extracurriculars: Leadership positions, dental school TA positions, pedo volunteer experiences, community activities, professional memberships, 8 years of dental assisting (high school, undergrad, and early in dental school)
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 18/5/5/4

One of my interviews was for a non-match program which offered me a position that I ended up turning down. In retrospect, I put myself in a very tough position by applying to the non-match program, but it was a good experience overall.

I was initially very hesitant about applying this year due to the fact that I'm not at the top of my class. After much discussion with my faculty and residents at different programs, I decided that the worst case scenario would be not getting invited to interview anywhere and applying again next year. Obviously I am very, very happy to have matched this year! From feedback I received during my interviews it seems that having good letters of recommendation, a strong personal statement, and activities that showed obvious interest in pediatrics helped me in this whole, crazy process. It was a lot of hard work and a lot of stress, but it was worth it. Don't hesitate to message me if you have questions about anything I've written here. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Program Matched: Jacobi
Dental School Attended: Louisville
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2017
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Scores if applicable: N/A
ADAT taken (yes/no)? If yes, score? Yes 550
Class Ranking/Size: 17/120-ish
Externship(s)/where: 1 day at Jacobi, 1 day at Bronx Lebanon
Research: none
Extracurriculars: President of Louisville AAWD
10 years assisting at dad's pedo office (Dad also trained at Jacobi for pedo) plus 3 years assisting GP
Dental school tutor; other volunteering hours
Programs Applied to: 16 (did not interview at these 8) --Bronx Lebanon, NYU, St Chris, Penn, Brookdale, Columbia, Woodhull, St. Barnabas
Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 8 interviews (by rank):
Long Island Jewish
Jacobi
Rutgers
Temple
Montefiorre
NYU Lutheran- Brooklyn
Louisville
Interfaith (did not rank)

I took ADAT since I was applying for all NYC/NJ/Philly programs and was worried that Louisville was a bit of an unknown school for programs with a preference for local schools. I hoped it might help demonstrate level of education compared to closer schools. Many places that said they would require ADAT ultimately didn't due to low total numbers taking ADAT, but I think that will be less true in future years. I studied decks parts 1 & 2 and other materials from my classes at UofL. I found this exam very challenging and probably could have studied longer/more details.

Reactions: 1 users
Can someone please post open spots for peds?

Last edited: