Official 2018-2019 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So guys, I had a great time at my home program interviewing, sent them recently that LOI telling them they're my number one/my-ride-or-die/XOXO, and they replied with a very vague response that almost sounded like "uh, thanks ... hope we both get what we want! #thankunext #sorrynotsorry" ... I only have 5 programs to rank (some cat/adv, so really something like 7-8, but 5 institutions) ... any idea if this is something to somehow bring up to my home program?

No. Why do you want to sound desperate? That won’t reflect positively on you.

Members don't see this ad.

It's really funny to watch you guys stress over the response to emails that you were told not to send
I think this is highly program-dependent ... My home program was very vocal to "let your #1 know"

@UrbanAchievers True (regarding sounding desperate). I heard some programs are more conscious of "oh f-, one of our applicants didn't match?" (like when programs open up some prelim spot for their home applicants to not completely go unmatched) but I guess this is very program-dependent.

I think this is highly program-dependent ... My home program was very vocal to "let your #1 know"

@UrbanAchievers True (regarding sounding desperate). I heard some programs are more conscious of "oh f-, one of our applicants didn't match?" (like when programs open up some prelim spot for their home applicants to not completely go unmatched) but I guess this is very program-dependent.
And my program was very vocal about "don't waste your time. It can't help and it can definitely hurt (like if you change your mind)."

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like the more I interviewed, the more I forgot... does anyone remember if any of the following had moonlighting? Drexel, George Washington, or Dartmouth? Thank you if anyone knows!

hey guys I'm an M4 (not applying to Anesthesia) however will be doing a rotation in Anesthesia at Maimonides (NY). Was curious if anyone who's been there can shed light on their experience there? Do they let non-anesthesia students intubate/get some procedural exposure? I'm an EM applicant but not too sure about Maimo's program. Thanks!!

hey guys I'm an M4 (not applying to Anesthesia) however will be doing a rotation in Anesthesia at Maimonides (NY). Was curious if anyone who's been there can shed light on their experience there? Do they let non-anesthesia students intubate/get some procedural exposure? I'm an EM applicant but not too sure about Maimo's program. Thanks!!

I rotated at Maimo a few months ago as an MS4. It was my first experience in an NYC hospital. While the institution itself is aesthetically unappealing, the OR experience is top notch. You'll get a lot of exposure to complex cases and will definitely get a chance to intubate, among other things, irrespective of your future specialty choice.

Reactions: 1 user
what programs offer curtesy interviews if you audit there?

Courtesy interviews are not a good thing. You need to actually impress them to get ranked . Most places will offer them unless you are just not up to their standards. Your best bet is to do rotation where you have board scores in their range

1. Trolling.
2. This topic really doesn't fit into this thread. Not only that, but this has been discussed extensively elsewhere.
1. Not trying to troll, sorry if it came off that way
2. Please point me to the thread where this has been discussed extensively.

Still there is time to decide before submitting the Rank Order lists, some people may have the option to rank another specialty besides anesthesia.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is what I have read on google, I am curious to know the perspective of folks here on this forum. Given the Anesthesia Care Team model, the 4:1 or 3:1 CRNA to Anesthesiologist ratio in most big hospitals, Anesthesiologists' jobs will still be in demand but would probably come to a saturation point soon(er) (I don't know when, maybe in the next 10/20/30 yrs?) compared to some other branches (like surgery and some IM specialties) where mid-levels are not able to encroach as easily. CRNAs have been given rights to work without supervision in 18 or so states. Big Healthcare is all about cutting cost and if they can get stuff done by mid-levels at half the cost, they will.

Something to think about for some of you who are going to rank another specialty besides Anesthesia.

Here is what I have read on google, I am curious to know the perspective of folks here on this forum. Given the Anesthesia Care Team model, the 4:1 or 3:1 CRNA to Anesthesiologist ratio in most big hospitals, Anesthesiologists' jobs will still be in demand but would probably come to a saturation point soon(er) (I don't know when, maybe in the next 10/20/30 yrs?) compared to some other branches (like surgery and some IM specialties) where mid-levels are not able to encroach as easily. CRNAs have been given rights to work without supervision in 18 or so states. Big Healthcare is all about cutting cost and if they can get stuff done by mid-levels at half the cost, they will.

Something to think about for some of you who are going to rank another specialty besides Anesthesia.
Go away.

Reactions: 4 users

Worried you aren’t going to match and want to change the position of others? This would be a discussion maybe for like three to four months ago...

@physicianado, whatever your intentions, this is not the thread for this oft-repeated line of speculation.

Ordinarily I'd suggest you take it to another thread, but to be honest, we really don't need another thread to discuss it. You can search this forum and our midlevel provider subforum for endless discussions on the subject.

Please don't continue in this thread.

Reactions: 6 users

I’ll play ball. So as someone who would rank other specialties I would recommend the following. Ask yourself does your specialty having encroachment from mid-level providers? Internal medicine definitely does family medicine definitely does even OB/GYN does. ER definitely has encroachment. There’s even physician assistants that do IR at small community hospitals . The only real specialties that don’t are the purely surgical specialties I don’t think I need a list them for you. Even internal medicine subspecialties will have a little bit of encroachment from physician assistants and NPs. My point is this, if you think you won’t have a job as an anesthesiologist you are wrong . Will it be in a super desirable area? Not if you’re willing to work anywhere. Are you gonna be making close to seven figures not anymore like he used to in the old days. Will you be making more than $300,000 a year? Absolutely. This has been extensively discussed elsewhere and I encourage you to keep reading. Just like you said, sub Specialties in internal medicine have less encroachment but they still have it. Why hire another nephrologist in your nephrology group when you can hire two nurse practitioners or Pas to do double the work of a nephrologist for half the pay? You don’t think that’s encroachment? I do. I’m sure this is about to start a huge debate on thread and this is not the place to do it but don’t rank if you would rather go unmatched. I also apologize in advance for any grammatical errors because I am dictating this and I am too lazy to read over it.

Reactions: 2 users
I’ll play ball. So as someone who would rank other specialties I would recommend the following. Ask yourself does your specialty having encroachment from mid-level providers? Internal medicine definitely does family medicine definitely does even OB/GYN does. ER definitely has encroachment. There’s even physician assistants that do IR at small community hospitals . The only real specialties that don’t are the purely surgical specialties I don’t think I need a list them for you. Even internal medicine subspecialties will have a little bit of encroachment from physician assistants and NPs. My point is this, if you think you won’t have a job as an anesthesiologist you are wrong . Will it be in a super desirable area? Not if you’re willing to work anywhere. Are you gonna be making close to seven figures not anymore like he used to in the old days. Will you be making more than $300,000 a year? Absolutely. This has been extensively discussed elsewhere and I encourage you to keep reading. Just like you said, sub Specialties in internal medicine have less encroachment but they still have it. Why hire another nephrologist in your nephrology group when you can hire two nurse practitioners or Pas to do double the work of a nephrologist for half the pay? You don’t think that’s encroachment? I do. I’m sure this is about to start a huge debate on thread and this is not the place to do it but don’t rank if you would rather go unmatched. I also apologize in advance for any grammatical errors because I am dictating this and I am too lazy to read over it.
Thank you for your insights, this is what I was looking for, wanted to hear thoughts from real people like you and not just random info on google.

Thank you for your insights, this is what I was looking for, wanted to hear thoughts from real people like you and not just random info on google.

Like I said. Do some extensive reading on the forum. Yes , usually it’s all doom and gloom but if you still want to do anesthesia after that go for it. If you feel your other specialty brings you more happiness and a sense of security rank that higher . Do what will make you happy. No fellowship in anesthesia or internal medicine is guaranteed . I did a little digging and I saw you want to do GI. Gi is very competitive . Say you did im and did not get a fellowship, would you still be happy as a generalist internal medicine doc ?

Like I said. Do some extensive reading on the forum. Yes , usually it’s all doom and gloom but if you still want to do anesthesia after that go for it. If you feel your other specialty brings you more happiness and a sense of security rank that higher . Do what will make you happy. No fellowship in anesthesia or internal medicine is guaranteed . I did a little digging and I saw you want to do GI. Gi is very competitive . Say you did im and did not get a fellowship, would you still be happy as a generalist internal medicine doc ?
You hit the nail on the head Dr. Jekyll, GI is very competitive and I would probably not be as happy as a generalist IM doc since it is not that procedure-heavy.

You must not be in the 18 or so states that have let CRNAs practice without the supervising anesthesiologist?

FYI I’ve worked in 3 states (well, more if you count random moonlighting) over my career that have independent CRNA practice by law- it doesn’t change anything except that the surgeons don’t have to sign off on their charts anymore. These CRNAs are in general relegated to the worst rural/critical access hospitals taking Q2/3 call that 95% of anesthesiologists wouldn’t want to work at anyway.
You have to remember that hospital credentialing and privileges are a different animal than state law. The vast majority of hospitals want CRNAs supervised....and since most cases happen in major metro areas where anesthesiologists are abundant, the percentage of cases performed by Independent CRNAs is extremely low.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone give advice about this situation?

I sent a LOI email to the PD and chairman at my top program. I got a reply “thank you” from the chairman. One minute later I got an email from the chairman saying “do we want him?”— clearly intended to sent it to the PD. Should I answer his email and let him know he sent it to me accidentally or just let it go? I don’t want to live with regret if I don’t match here worrying the PD never saw this and glanced over it, even though he was a recipient of my original LOI email. Thoughts?
Dude, if you don't respond, they're GOING to know you are catfishing them. If I were you, I would respond "F*** yeah we want him." And that's it. Nothing more.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone received post interview communications from UNC? Loved the program... sent em an update about my Step 2 CK/CS scores. They've ghosted me.

EDIT: Just received word from the program. I honestly loved it there and would be very happy there. Thanks for the mental encouragement yalls. Again, I really liked the program -- I'm not sure how much they loved me -- but at least I know they have my scores. :p Best of luck with the match my dudes.

Last edited:
Has anyone received post interview communications from UNC? Loved the program... sent em an update about my Step 2 CK/CS scores. They've completely ghosted me.
Received emails from 3 of my interviewers and so have some of my classmates. Only i am ranking them highly so hope you get their name on 3/15! Good luck kid

This is the most opinionated internet statement I have ever made so bear with me: The most important question I have ever asked myself is “what have I fallen in love with?” The answer is anesthesiology. So screw the encroachment of mid level providers and the existence of big business ruling healthcare. You couldn’t pay me to rank another specialty ahead of it. This is it. This is my choice. I’ll go down with the CRNA laden ship.

If you want to encourage others to skip out on the specialty due to potential uncertainty, please don’t do it on the match thread. If you’re concerned about your own options, go seek out counsel from your dean or medical school advising office.

And yes, I am always late to parties...but I just felt the need to share this with a bunch of other anonymous future anesthesiologists.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey Ohio State resident here. Ask me anything, for those who interviewed

Rank list officially submitted tonight. Best of luck with the MATCH!

Reactions: 3 users
Just wanted to reach out to the forum and all the other applicants I met on the interview trail to thank you for a great season. Also, thanks to the people who did some great work at organizing the forum, spreadsheet, and the discord as well. I met so many great people along the way and I honestly hope I match with some of you come March.

Best of luck to everyone. Even those that felt the need to ruin the spreadsheet this season.

Anybody else not preparing for soap ?

I had ten interviews, good enough steps, already made it through one competitive match (military, got civilian deferred) and was told I interviewed well.

Not trying to humble brag- the point is that with all that great stuff I have going for me I am still (mentally and logistically) preparing myself for soap.

It’s good to have confidence in yourself, but you also have to prepare yourself for even the most heartbreaking of eventualities.

You’ll probably be fine, I’ve been following you on here and am pulling for you, but always prepare for the worst. That way if the worst happens you’re ready, if not then it’s a nice little surprise.

Just want to say good luck to everyone on Monday and Friday. I can't believe the time is already almost here and how fast these past 4 years have gone. I sure do feel older!! Lol

Hey guys, unfortunately I didnt match. Anyone got any recommendations of Prelim (IM or Surgery) that are IMG friendly??
Step 1 - 222
Step 2 - 241
CS - 1st pass

Didn't match with 250+ step scores (US 4th yr) into anesthesia. Absolutely stunned today. Didn't even think it was a possibility and nobody can give me a good reason for how this happened. Thought my interviews went well, I have research experience, and plenty of volunteer experience. SOAPing on ERAS has been a complete nightmare due to the website crashing.

Sorry for ranting on here. Just extremely frustrated today.

Keep your head up. U will do well in soap. Just have some answers for PD when they ask what happen? Hold your composure .Wish you the best . Same scenario with me 5 years ago in a surgical Subspecialty.

Didn't match with 250+ step scores (US 4th yr) into anesthesia. Absolutely stunned today. Didn't even think it was a possibility and nobody can give me a good reason for how this happened. Thought my interviews went well, I have research experience, and plenty of volunteer experience. SOAPing on ERAS has been a complete nightmare due to the website crashing.

Holy crap :-/ Here I am with sub 220s not matching and thinking "Well, this was somewhat expected," but dang :-/

Agreed with the website crashing making this a nightmare. I got my programs in by the first 3pm deadline, but goddamn was it a frustrating endeavor ... and then having my deans say they're seeing that for some places, my photo is uploaded, but not my deans letter, some others the usmle transcript is missing ... just a big mess it seems on multiple fronts (or, rather, the overall ERAS front)

Jesus christ, how many programs did you rank?
I'm so sorry to hear that, honestly. Did you only rank top tier programs?

Keep your head up and good luck. You'll def get an offer first round.

Thanks for the support guys.

Jesus christ, how many programs did you rank?
I'm so sorry to hear that, honestly. Did you only rank top tier programs?

I had some top tiers, but mostly mid-high tier programs (including my home school). And I had 10 programs ranked. Seriously unlucky stuff.

Despite my step 2 CS fail, I matched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!