Official 2018-2019 Pediatric Emergency Medicine Match Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PedsDoc12

Reaction score
I always feel these threads create good content when it comes to timeline of interview invites and other tid bits. I figured it was too soon for invites to go out yet as I was told by multiple sources not to get my hopes up the first two weeks, but then I got a day 1 interview. So maybe they are starting earlier this year.

As you get interviews, state where at and any other helpful info you may have

1. Eastern Virginia Medical School (Thursdays Aug 16th - Nov 15th)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Beaumont, MI.

Things seem slower for PEM compared to other specialities.
Do you guys feel the same way too?
When should we start worrying?

5. Akron Children’s (Akron, OH)

In my experience thus far, PEM seems to be ahead of the game, but don’t have a ton of fellowship applicants in my program so my n is very small.

Eastern Virginia Medical School (Norfolk, VA)
Beaumont Health (Royal Oak, MI)
Vanderbilt (Nashville, TN)
University of TN (Memphis, TN)
Akron Children’s (Akron, OH)
University of Louisville (Louisville, KY)
Children's Mercy (Kansas City, MO)

Reactions: 1 users
UT Austin Dell (Austin, TX)

Eastern Virginia Medical School (Norfolk, VA)
Beaumont Health (Royal Oak, MI)
Vanderbilt (Nashville, TN)
Akron Children’s (Akron, OH)
University of Louisville (Louisville, KY)
Children's Mercy (Kansas City, MO)
UT Austin Dell (Austin, TX)
Phoenix Children's Hospital (Phoenix, AZ)

Members don't see this ad :)
Rainbow babies

1. Eastern Virginia Medical School (Norfolk, VA)
2. Beaumont Health (Royal Oak, MI)
3. Vanderbilt (Nashville, TN)
4. University of TN (Memphis, TN)
6. University of Louisville (Louisville, KY)
7. Children's Mercy (Kansas City, MO)
8. UT Austin Dell (Austin, TX)
9. Phoenix Children's Hospital (Phoenix, AZ)
10. Rainbow Babies (Cleveland, OH)
11. MUSC (Charleston, SC)

Looks like a good number. Still think ER is slower than other specialties this year. E.g. PICU, cards, adolescent, and hem/onc already sent out >5-7 within the first 10 days. Anyone else feel the same way?

Looks like a good number. Still think ER is slower than other specialties this year. E.g. PICU, cards, adolescent, and hem/onc already sent out >5-7 within the first 10 days. Anyone else feel the same way?

I feel that's how it generally is for PEM. I won't name the location, but the fellowship director where I'm at said they don't even send out invites until August at the earliest So still lots of time.

man... look at at the cardio + picu threads... very few programs have sent invites, ED is really ahead of them

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there!

quick question:
I'm an IMG, and I applied for 24 different programs. I already got a "no" from one place I applied to, and a "got your application" reply from 2 other places, but didnt get ANY response from the other 21 places, including some programs you guys mentioned here that invited you for an interview.
What should I make of this? do you know if they process IMG applications later than US graduates?

Hey there!

quick question:
I'm an IMG, and I applied for 24 different programs. I already got a "no" from one place I applied to, and a "got your application" reply from 2 other places, but didnt get ANY response from the other 21 places, including some programs you guys mentioned here that invited you for an interview.
What should I make of this? do you know if they process IMG applications later than US graduates?

I know nothing about your stats and where you applied, and I am not applying to EM, but EM was by far the most competitive fellowship last year. You may wanna apply to more than 24 programs especially if you need Visa.

I know nothing about your stats and where you applied, and I am not applying to EM, but EM was by far the most competitive fellowship last year. You may wanna apply to more than 24 programs especially if you need Visa.
wow... that's a shame... LOL... I'll keep my fingers crossed! thanks!

It also could mean nothing. One place in particular, I got an invite significantly later than the first post about them inviting. So could just need more time. However given your situation, more programs would help.

It also could mean nothing. One place in particular, I got an invite significantly later than the first post about them inviting. So could just need more time. However given your situation, more programs would help.

thanks for the reply..... isnt it a a bit too late to apply for additional programs right now? or am i missing something in the schedule?

thanks for the reply..... isnt it a a bit too late to apply for additional programs right now? or am i missing something in the schedule?

Well being that the vast majority of programs haven’t started sending out invites, while it is a little late, I don’t know if I would argue that it is too late. But that’s up to you.

But like above, I have no idea what your application looks like so you may be solid and just need more time.

Reactions: 1 user
Well being that the vast majority of programs haven’t started sending out invites, while it is a little late, I don’t know if I would argue that it is too late. But that’s up to you.

But like above, I have no idea what your application looks like so you may be solid and just need more time.

That makes sense. The reason I feel like PEM has been slower is because most programs probably haven’t started sending invites yet. Still waiting to hear from a bunch

Have people been having any luck with later round invites? I know there are a couple but curious if I should chalk up most of them as rejections or still hold out hope for the ones I see have started inviting.

Have people been having any luck with later round invites? I know there are a couple but curious if I should chalk up most of them as rejections or still hold out hope for the ones I see have started inviting.

I got invite for Louisville a few days after first round and there were 4 dates left. Children's Mercy, UAB, and Milwaukee's do there invites on ERAS so you can see how many are left. There are spots for all of them still, some more than others. So I'd say it depends on program. But as people get more invites there will be cancellations resulting in more invites so don't give up hope.

Last edited:
12. Wake Forest
13. University of Alabama - Birmingham
14. Children's Hospital of Michigan
15. Medical College of Wisconsin

12. Wake Forest
16. UConn
17. VCU (Richmond, VA)
18. Stanford

Got a rejection from UNC Raleigh so hopefully that means invites are going out for others .

Has anyone heard anything from programs in the northeast besides whats listed above?

22.Yale (rocketman123: I’m still waiting on lots of Northeast programs).

23. Cincinnati
24. Nationwide (Colombus)
25. Colombia / NY Presbyterian
26. Johns Hopkins

Haven't heard much from the coasts yet!

12. Wake Forest
16. UConn
17. VCU (Richmond, VA)
18. Stanford
19. University of Oklahoma
20. University of New Mexico
21. University of Chicago
22. Yale
23. Cincinnati
26. Johns Hopkins

23. Cincinnati
26. Johns Hopkins

Haven't heard much from the coasts yet!

Good for you Santi!!!! When did you hear from Nationwide, Cincinnati, and Johns if you don't mind me asking?

Question for you guys. I've received a few interviews so far, but there are places I am really interested in that already sent invitations, some weeks ago. Has anyone had any luck reaching out to programs that have already sent invitations, expressing your interest, and then getting an invite? Is it too early for this, and I should be more patient?

Question for you guys. I've received a few interviews so far, but there are places I am really interested in that already sent invitations, some weeks ago. Has anyone had any luck reaching out to programs that have already sent invitations, expressing your interest, and then getting an invite? Is it too early for this, and I should be more patient?

I feel that if you know for sure they have sent invites then it's worth it to try. Past year residents at my program have stories where it worked and got an interview and others said they were ignored and never got response. But what's the worst that could happen? You don't get an interview at a place you were already not invited to? I think it shows interest and can only stay how it is now or get better, but not worse.

Edit: It should be noted though I was close to emailing a program that was listed on here 2+ weeks ago then got an invite a couple days ago, so I'm glad I waited. So it might still be a tad early but again, don't be scared to do it if you really want to interview there.

Last edited: