Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

USMLE Official 2018 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Foot Fetish, Oct 15, 2017.

1. doctorjayyy

Did you switch to FC “high yield” and/or “dedicated” mode at all? Or did you just keep up with the normal setting? Also about how many FC cards were you doing per day the couple of months before dedicated and then how many per day during dedicated? Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. intubesteak

Medical Student
    Before dedicated I was focused on mastering whatever block we were in. I used to do around 300 per day, but later on I slowed down to about 175 but I hit snooze until I got the card correct.

During dedicated I did not switch to high yield and did maybe 300-500 or so per day. It varied greatly. I also read through a good number of sections either before or after doing cards. Lots of repetition was key, but learning things well during the block was probably the most important.

4. bananafish94

bananafish94 SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    Congrats to everybody on the incredible scores!

I really need to work on not making stupid mistakes between now and the actual test. In going over my incorrects on the last NBME, I found that a lot of the weird questions with a lot of logic and thinking that I spent a lot of time on I actually mostly got correct. But I missed a question that literally gave the most obvious description of hemochromatosis there is and just asked "what disease is this?" And a couple more like that. It's not that I don't know it, maybe it's fatigue?

pbrocks15 likes this.
  5. Foramenlacerum

I agree with some of the posts saying that everyone experiences things differently etc. and that the tests may be similar difficulty. However, I was always scoring in the top 30-15% of my medical school class and in speaking with someone who was scoring in the bottom 50%, they seemed to think their test was much easier and direct quote "would not have wanted" my exam. I made some really stupid mistakes that I should not have made. I definitely had some very easy questions and some of those were ones I missed that I should not have. But I would say that generally speaking my exam was a hot mess.

In regards to the UFAP fear, these sources are enough. But that comes with a caveat. These sources are enough if you are not just memorizing facts. If you are reading through FA and UW and just memorizing that Wegener's is a focal necrotizing vasculitis, but you have no idea what that means, you will be in trouble. There will be questions you do not know on this exam. The point isn't to know all of the questions. The point is to know the 80% you can know and make educated guesses on the other 20%. You can spend all day/month/year reading every source out there, but you will not have the time to do that for every topic in UFAP and you will not remember it a year later. You're not going to get 20 vasculitis questions. I think I had 1. So it would be a grand waste of time to read 50 sources. That is why everyone says UFAP is enough. Because if you really understand the basics and fundamentals presented in the those sources, you can figure out almost any question. Now you may have to consult Goljan or Robbins or whatever to get to that point. But I read Goljan and Robbins throughout MS1/MS2 and I do not think it helped me at all. 90% of the questions I know I missed were facts I just forgot from First Aid or things I was never going to get right and would have been a waste of time to study.

I may have totally tanked (probably pretty likely), but that is not a result of not doing everything I should have. I was prepared for that exam. I had spent 2 years preparing for that exam. My course grades, UW average, NBMEs all show that I was prepared to take that exam. If I tanked it would be because I freaked the heck out. But I can't see how they would expect anything different. Here you are having taken practice exams, worked on timing with the tools they have given you, you think you have it down to an art and suddenly you are playing a WHOLE different game. If you are running out of time on UW or NBME blocks you need to figure out a way to finish with 15-20 minutes left. That was my biggest thing. I had always been finishing with 20+ minutes remaining. On test day, I ran out of time 2x and on others I was only finishing with 11 minutes left.

Honestly the best thing you can do is get off student doctor network, know UFAP inside and out and just take a deep breath. It is NOT a fair test. I don't care what anyone says. There are some schools that have students taking the exam after MS3 while other students are taking it after 1.5 yrs. How is that fair? The people who have finished MS3 have already done 2x the Qbanks, have had real life experience and have an entire extra year under their belts. You want to compare that with someone who has not even had one clinical experience? That is comparing apples to oranges. Maybe they account for this because they do ask if you have had any clinical experiences in a survey at the end. But I highly doubt it. I also honestly think we should have to take 2 versions of the exam. That would eliminate some of the just "got lucky" with the exam aspect.

The best thing you can go is just get off of here, study as much as you can and breathe. 90% of people pass. 50% of people score better than a 229. To put it into perspective, according to a report from 2014 (yes, I know averages, etc have changed,) Ortho matched 50% of applicants that scored between a 221-230.

You already know what you need to do. What worked or didn't work for some of us may or may not work for you. Stick to the fundamentals and know that YOU GOT THIS. Everyone is in the same boat.

6. Foramenlacerum

This is a perfect example of the poop storm that is the Step 1 exam. My exam was NOTHING like the NBMEs and my first two blocks wrecked me whereas your's were cake.

7. LowYield

I believe this is the point of USMLE having many different forms of the test. While the questions and difficulty may vary among test forms, the curves should (theoretically) adjust accordingly. From what I've read (caveat: on the internet), the "more difficult" exams are just as difficult for the next person, and the curve is more forgiving. But what do we know - no one actually knows how these things are graded lolol.

pbrocks15 and Foramenlacerum like this.
  8. idkididk

Medical Student
    Welp, score on NBME 15 today was the exact score I got on 13 last week, 232. Shooting for 250 with 4 weeks left, you guys think it's realistic?

I plan on finishing all the NBMEs/UWSAs. Currently on my 2nd pass of UWorld and mostly watching B&B videos for topics I'm weak on. Going through a ton of Anki cards as well..

pbrocks15 likes this.
  9. QueenJames

Medical Student
    hmm all these high scores but no proof.

I'm calling bull bruh.

Can people start posting pics of their actual score reports?

Not calling y'all liars... but med students are a bunch of liars, especially on SDN. lol

Krabbeman, pbrocks15 and LowYield like this.
  10. anonymousdoctobe

Medical Student
    Everyone who has recently posted about having a rough test, I think you guys probably did just fine! It may have been a tougher exam than you expected but that is probably the case for everyone else as well! The tougher questions will have a different curve so don't stress out. I'm sure you all did well!

pbrocks15 likes this.
  11. anonymousdoctobe

Medical Student
    Also, question.

If you take a test on the same day as someone else, it doesn't mean you got the same exact test right? You can have some of the same questions but everyone's exam is different. It's not based on the day you take it right?

12. LowYield

According to wikipedia, "each exam is dynamically generated for each test taker"

anonymousdoctobe likes this.
  13. Pepe18

Medical Student
    I agree about the MS3 thing and I wish it was taken into consideration in some way. I had 5-10 questions that I luckily guessed correctly, but were not really preclinical. Like knowing which medical device to use, what is the next step in treatment, and asking what someone receiving a procedure was most at risk for.

pbrocks15 likes this.
  14. LowYield

For these types of questions, were you at least able to reason to your final answer? Or are these kinds of topics so far out of the realm of pre-clinical that an MS2 has to rely on luck?

15. Lannister

Medical Student
    Are trisomies more commonly caused by nondisjunction in meiosis I or II? A few weeks ago I had a question that told me meiosis I was more common, and now I just got a question that said nondisjunction in meiosis I is rarer.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Pepe18

Medical Student
    I could eliminate at least half the answers using logic and then would normally be down to 2 and take my most educated guess

pbrocks15 and LowYield like this.
  18. Dermpire

Medical Student
    I think I just realized something crazy. The NBME practice exams give a different question order within each block to each different user.

Can anyone confirm this?

pbrocks15 likes this.
  19. Pepe18

Medical Student
    Yes, I went over them with friends and they are not in the same order

Dermpire and pbrocks15 like this.
  20. bananafish94

Medical Student
    For Trisomy 21 the majority is caused by nondisjunction in Meiosis I. I don't know if that applies to all trisomies, though.

21. Lannister

Medical Student
    Meiosis I would make more sense to me, because you create two gametes with trisomy, vs meiosis II where you just get one with trisomy. But yeah I didn't consider that maybe it varies between trisomies because the original question I got was about trisomy 21 while the most recent one that said meiosis I nondisjunction is rare was about Patau.

22. NecFasc92

Medical Student
    Mind if I ask what % you got one each of those nbmes? You're in a much better position than me right now (haven't taken 13 or 15 yet but was going to soon). Thanks friend :)

23. idkididk

Medical Student
    27 wrong on 13 and 28 wrong on 15, so 86.5% and 86% respectively

NecFasc92 likes this.
  24. Foramenlacerum

If this is true then for my test n=1 and we all get perfect scores! lol jk wishful thinking!

25. Barry'sAneurysm

Barry'sAneurysm SDN Gold Donor

Medical Student
    I keep counting questions I got incorrect. I am at like 14-15 now. Ugh. I do remember like 150 correct answers though. But that's all I remember. These couple weeks can't go fast enough.

DubbiDoctor and SandP like this.
  26. Rahas

Medical Student
    Anyone doing old NBMEs? Theres an NBME 5 question about a 75 year old woman who falls and hits the back of her head, and you have to pick between epidural and subdural hematomas. Online answers seem to be split between the two, with supporting evidence for both. I was wondering if anyone here had a definitive answer.

@sahell

27. DubbiDoctor

Pre-Medical
    Is the exam 180 questions?

28. Barry'sAneurysm

Medical Student
    It is 280 questions, I just can't remember them all. Wish I could! Lol

29. Barry'sAneurysm

Medical Student
    Subdural for sure. She is old (encephalomalacia- small brain= easy tear of bridging veins), and epidural is classically the middle meningeal artery which is below the pterion, and thus would be from a blow to the side of the head, not the back of the head. 100% subdural

30. sahell

MD/PhD Student
    This one was frustrating for me too. It's definitely not the clearest vignette.
    Age and CT point to SDH. I'm still not exactly sure what a diffuse extra axial H'ge is but the online consensus said SDH.
    EDH is also possible - but the mechanism of injury is not classic for EDH, neither do we have the classic lucid interval.
    I have always associated herniation with EDH. It's an arterial bleed whereas SDH tends to be a slower venous bleed. I initially chose EDH for this reason.
    Unfortunately this was before expanded feedback so your guess is as good as mine, but I'm split 70/30 favoring SDH after reading the online discussions.

31. LowYield

Well, tomorrow's the big day - any sage words of wisdom to remain calm and composed during the exam?

32. mistafab

Medical Student
    You got this bruh

pbrocks15 and LowYield like this.
  33. mistafab

Medical Student
    Step 1 this Friday.

6 weeks out - CBSE 230
    3 weeks out - Form 17 238
    2 weeks out - UWorld sim 1 247
    1.5 weeks out form 15 - 232
    EDIT: 2 days out - UWorld sim 2 254

UWorld %correct (cold, full random 40's) 62%

Goal score: 230+
    Reach score 240
    Happy with anything above 230 but a 235 would be tight and 240 would be sick

Wish me luck brevs

#931 mistafab, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  34. Foramenlacerum

Just take a deep breath and know that you might have a few WTH blocks. Just power through, it is not a reflection of your preparedness or intelligence. It happened to all of us. Just keep swimming

mistafab and LowYield like this.
  35. sovereign0

Medical Student
    240 seems pretty realistic for you tbh. Would be surprised if you scored under a 235 considering your NBME scores.

mistafab likes this.
  36. bananafish94

Medical Student
    My SO's and my score both went up on today's NBME. 230 today, still have 2.5 weeks to refine, so I think I'm in a good place. My motto today was "don't do anything stupid" and it seemed to have worked decently well.

37. piii

Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    Is there a realistic way to hit 260s consistently on NBMEs or after a certain point is it a matter of luck? I feel like at that level a few questions wrong or right makes a huge difference in score on NBMEs. All my practice tests have been 250s and one in 260, 2 weeks left

#935 piii, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  38. DubbiDoctor

Pre-Medical
    Not to sound snarky, but the only way to consistently score in the 260+ range is by expanding your knowledge to such an extent and developing your test-taking skills so that you never get more questions wrong than the number that corresponds to a 260 score on any given test.

The Knife & Gun Club likes this.
  39. Terence McKenna

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, A, B, start, select. (Right before starting the tutorial of course)

40. mistafab

Medical Student
    My friend who consistently scores that high never makes “knowledge errors” - he only makes stupid mistakes.

So if you truly know everything very well from first and second year, yes you can make 260+ if you don’t make stupid mistakes. Take a look at your past forms and look at the incorrects. Were they “knowledge errors,” “logic errors,” or stupid mistakes? If all you make is stupid mistakes then yes you can really knock the test out the park by paying attention to what each question is asking and not glazing over stems completely. I noticed on my forms that I make zero stupid mistakes. All my mistakes are knowledge errors typically, with the occasional logic error (incorrect application, or question asked for the opposite, or question asked for something upstream of pathway etc etc).

Knowledge errors are probably more prone to variance day to day (depending on test content), while stupid mistakes can be very well taken care of by just paying attention.

pbrocks15 likes this.
  41. sovereign0

Medical Student
    The differences in any score over a 255+, and especially 260+ is really just chance. You're always going to misread or misinterpret a few questions at the least. The wording and distribution of these questions is what makes the difference. I think that the only non-chance factor that contributes at scoring in this range is innate test-taking ability. Once you're scoring in the 250s, I'd say you're getting close to hitting the ceiling of what pure knowledge and memorization can get you.

Dermpire and pbrocks15 like this.
  42. sahell

MD/PhD Student
    Depends on what's holding you back. For me it was the esoteric minutiae. I have scored consistently above 260s except for my first one btw.

I thought that only worked to catch Pokemon. Damn!!

I only had a couple of stupid mistakes on my first NBME. Your friend must have studied a lot to know all the minutiae. I'm very jealous.

I humbly disagree. You may misread or misinterpret questions the first time, that's why I reread the stem when something seems off. I would say anything past 270 is getting the minutiae right - requiring hard work and luck, the ratio of the 2 depends on your form. Up till that point I would say know the high and medium yield stuff cold and learn to dissect a question.

Elessar, mistafab and Epicurusall like this.
  43. Lannister

Medical Student
    I just met with my school's step advisor to hash out a schedule for our multisystems block and dedicated. Apparently I am "very behind" and should be several hundred questions into UWorld by now (test is on June 7th). That was so depressing, I thought I was doing well by almost being done with Rx and also having done some of Kaplan.

44. sharkbyte

sharkbyte Take me to the top

Medical Student
    I'm in a very similar boat. I'm taking my exam June 8, currently done with ~1300 Rx questions (all medium/hard) and some sporadic Kaplan but haven't done any Kaplan recently. I honestly don't know if that person's advice is good. I would think as long as we finish all of UWorld by the time we take the test we should be good. Once I get done with Rx I plan to do 80 UW questions a day with review, which would theoretically take a month, but I'm accounting for longer than that owing to off days, mandatory school exams/classes/etc that take up most of the day, etc. On those days I'll probably only be able to do 40.

Lannister likes this.
  45. sharkbyte

sharkbyte Take me to the top

Medical Student
    Quick question for advice -- I've done 1300 Rx questions so far set to only Medium and Hard, and I have about 700 of those left to go. Since that should take me roughly 10 days, I want to go through and finish all of them before moving to UW. That would leave something like 400 ish Easy questions that I did not touch. Would you guys recommend I go back and do all of those, or just skip them? It would give my Rx score percentage a nice boost but I don't know if there's much utility to doing those questions.

46. Dermpire

Medical Student
    Honestly, I wouldn't listen to much from your school's step advisor unless that person is an MS3/4 that scored in the 250+ range.

As long as you have a plan to finish U-World before your test I think you're good to go. If you wanted to do a second pass then sure you should finish early.

I'm also pacing myself on U-World

47. LongDucDong

Medical Student
    Real question... what is a "step advisor"? I'm at a DO school and if a step advisor is what I think it is, then I couldn't imagine my school having one of those. If I even suggested it to the dean (or a COMLEX advisor equivalent) I would literally get laughed out of his office...

48. pbrocks15

pbrocks15 Romans 8:28

Medical Student
    I would echo what others have said. Unless your schools step advisor is actually super wise in this area and have coached others to score in the 250s or so then I wouldn't give much thought either. I trust the advice here more than I would there lol

49. pbrocks15

Medical Student
    Some people wear many hats in our school. One person is a step advisor along with many other things. I don't think many schools have a single person dedicated to this.

LongDucDong likes this.
  50. Foramenlacerum

I would say that Rx can be good for nailing down FA, but I feel like it lacks the minutia and focuses on the same stuff over and over again. My only advice is to be aware that Rx is WAY too easy and nothing like the actual exam. I finished Kaplan, Rx and UW twice and I would say that I wish I had not done Kaplan or Rx and had spent way more time really thoroughly dissecting UW. I think that would have helped me the most.

Elessar, pbrocks15 and Lannister like this.
  51. orangetea

Medical Student
    Speaking of Q banks..
    I bought the 1 year uworld subscription hoping to complete it during MS2 and unfortunately I went through about 75 of it but honestly I would just do a block and quickly look through them without really taking time to go through the answer choices.

I reset it and now I am almost done with my "second" pass and this time I really sat down to read through the explanations/make a journal of my wrongs. I feel like this was a legitimate first pass because I felt like I was learning the material.

Now that I am done. Should I go through my wrongs or invest in a 90 day subscription and do it a "third" time ..(I have about 7 weeks left FYI) I really wish I had used it correctly the first time but you live and learn

52. pbrocks15

Medical Student
    Would you recommend though adding a little Rx/Kaplan during break to switch things up and get more practice questions out though?