USMLE Official 2018 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot Fetish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to start one of these...So here we go! :)

My stats:

M2
Test time: June 2018
Goal score: 270

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I always thought it was 4 weeks (or slightly more if you took it thursday or friday since your score is reported on the next Wednesday)

I took it 6/22 and wasn't expecting mine back until 7/25

I believe it's the third Wednesday if you took it Thursday, Friday or Saturday, and the fourth Wednesday if you took it Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it's the other way around. I had friends who took it earlier in the week and got it back in three weeks, while people later in the same week got it back in four.

Final Scores:
NBME 15: 205 (2.5 months out)
NBME 13:236 2 weeks out
NBME 16: 236 1.5 weeks out
NBME 17: 223 1 week
NBME 18: 232
NBME 19: 223 6.27
Game day : June 30th
86% free 120

UWSA1:243 (40 days out)
UWSA2: 237 2 weeks out

Score predictions anyone?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Final Scores:
86% free 120

Solid for >230. 240 if you have a good day

Final Scores:
86% free 120

240+ your nbme 19 is solid. Usually 20+. Youll do great man!

Took it yesterday, overall easier than I expected but still made a crazy amount of dumb mistakes — already counted 15.

My scores:
16: 252
17: 265
19: 255
UW1: 272
UW2: 258
Free 120: 90%
(Took 18 offline)

I know I should trust my scores but have this sinking feeling like I **** the bed. I guessed well on some hard ones but missed a crazy amount of freebies (the > 85% correct on UWorld variety). I’d guess my total incorrect is somewhere around 30; hope that gets me to a 250.

Overall it felt like UWorld, I didn’t think the NBMEs were very representative. I had almost no micro or anatomy (but the few anatomy questions I had would have probably been < 30% correct on UWorld). Lots of EKGs but very easy. Biochem was either very easy or very detailed — had two vitamin questions that weren’t in any standard reveiw source (I checked), had to look in a British medical journal to find the answers. I’d also recommend taking the time to cram the details of the receptor pathways the day before (so they’re fresh); this was 3 questions for me and you could theoretically ignore them and do well but they’re pretty easy if you take the time.

That’s about all I have, happy to answer any questions people have.

Took it yesterday, overall easier than I expected but still made a crazy amount of dumb mistakes — already counted 15.

My scores:
(Took 18 offline)

I know I should trust my scores but have this sinking feeling like I **** the bed. I guessed well on some hard ones but missed a crazy amount of freebies (the > 85% correct on UWorld variety). I’d guess my total incorrect is somewhere around 30; hope that gets me to a 250.

Overall it felt like UWorld, I didn’t think the NBMEs were very representative. I had almost no micro or anatomy (but the few anatomy questions I had would have probably been < 30% correct on UWorld). Lots of EKGs but very easy. Biochem was either very easy or very detailed — had two vitamin questions that weren’t in any standard reveiw source (I checked), had to look in a British medical journal to find the answers. I’d also recommend taking the time to cram the details of the receptor pathways the day before (so they’re fresh); this was 3 questions for me and you could theoretically ignore them and do well but they’re pretty easy if you take the time.

thanks for the write-up and congrats on being done! I bet you did great. Did you feel like there was a good variety of all topics, or that it was more heavily emphasized in one organ system? Did you have lots of Pharm as well?

My scores:
(Took 18 offline)

What percentage would you say ?

My scores:
(Took 18 offline)

What percentage of the overall test did Biochem comprise?

thanks for the write-up and congrats on being done! I bet you did great. Did you feel like there was a good variety of all topics, or that it was more heavily emphasized in one organ system? Did you have lots of Pharm as well?

Pharm overall was pretty easy, I'd say 10 questions. There was overall a good variety, neuro was light on my exam (maybe 2 total questions) but outside of that it was pretty balanced.

What percentage would you say ?

What percentage of the overall test did Biochem comprise?

Maybe 10-12 questions. A lot of additional questions required some biochem knowledge but didn't ask about the biochem directly.

Last edited:
Took my exam a couple weeks ago but I've been in Alaska on vacation trying to forget about STEP1 for the past week. My experience was pretty horrific. Unfortunately I think I'm one of those people who got screwed and got the test with everything they weren't strong in and almost none of the things they are good at. My test was very very heavy in pharm and neuro, about 25% maybe more? About half the neuro was do-able, lots of POE but I could get them for the most part. I was tested on Pick's disease on every single block and it started to freak me out a little. As for pharm, almost every single question was a very vague presentation of symptoms and "then what is the MOA of the drug given".... Then when I finally would get to an easy pharm question I was already in panic mode and would go blank. I also got probably 10, "we gave the person drug X and it didn't work so what is the next best line of treatment" questions. I had two blocks back to back that were, not kidding, 30/40 questions paragraph like questions longer than Uworld with mostly vague answer choices that made it hard to answer quickly and effectively, so I came very close to running out of time on those two blocks. The rest of the test was a mix of straight forward concepts, easy micro, hem/onc and in depth respiratory physiology (a lot of those up/down arrow sequence questions). Almost no cardio, no endocrine, no psych. I made a lot of stupid mistakes like completely forgetting Hardy Weinberg after the end of really hard block, mixing up antibiotics, ect.
The test was not comparable to any NBME for me and seemed like just a random, vague, long UWORLD test but way harder. I'm pretty worried since my test did not hit my strong points (which by the way why on earth does USMLE do this and how is that fair? If anyone else had a test heavy in neuro and pharm like I did and they are really good at that stuff they probably got a 240+, whereas I think I might fail)

Anyway, my scores prior to the exam crept up from a 205 to a 230 over the course of 6 weeks.
UWSA2 was a 236, NBME 19 was a 230 (or maybe a 232 honestly I cannot remember), NBME 18 was also a 230, so I'm hoping I'll get somewhere in the 220s considering how bad my test was. I'm expecting the worst though, not sure I can handle studying for this test all over again and retaking it if I do fail. Good thing I have an engineering degree if I need a back up plan.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Took my exam a couple weeks ago but I've been in Alaska on vacation trying to forget about STEP1 for the past week. My experience was pretty horrific. Unfortunately I think I'm one of those people who got screwed and got the test with everything they weren't strong in and almost none of the things they are good at. My test was very very heavy in pharm and neuro, about 25% maybe more? About half the neuro was do-able, lots of POE but I could get them for the most part. I was tested on Pick's disease on every single block and it started to freak me out a little. As for pharm, almost every single question was a very vague presentation of symptoms and "then what is the MOA of the drug given".... Then when I finally would get to an easy pharm question I was already in panic mode and would go blank. I also got probably 10, "we gave the person drug X and it didn't work so what is the next best line of treatment" questions. I had two blocks back to back that were, not kidding, 30/40 questions paragraph like questions longer than Uworld with mostly vague answer choices that made it hard to answer quickly and effectively, so I came very close to running out of time on those two blocks. The rest of the test was a mix of straight forward concepts, easy micro, hem/onc and in depth respiratory physiology (a lot of those up/down arrow sequence questions). Almost no cardio, no endocrine, no psych. I made a lot of stupid mistakes like completely forgetting Hardy Weinberg after the end of really hard block, mixing up antibiotics, ect.
The test was not comparable to any NBME for me and seemed like just a random, vague, long UWORLD test but way harder. I'm pretty worried since my test did not hit my strong points (which by the way why on earth does USMLE do this and how is that fair? If anyone else had a test heavy in neuro and pharm like I did and they are really good at that stuff they probably got a 240+, whereas I think I might fail)

Anyway, my scores prior to the exam crept up from a 205 to a 230 over the course of 6 weeks.
UWSA2 was a 236, NBME 19 was a 230 (or maybe a 232 honestly I cannot remember), NBME 18 was also a 230, so I'm hoping I'll get somewhere in the 220s considering how bad my test was. I'm expecting the worst though, not sure I can handle studying for this test all over again and retaking it if I do fail. Good thing I have an engineering degree if I need a back up plan.

who knows, it might turn out just fine! I felt like my test also tested pretty heavy on a few concepts I was not strong at (a lot of antibiotics and insane ethics questions). A few people that I spoke with after the test thought they failed and every single one of them ended up being very surprised and happy with their results. I am also very nervous about my exam but trust in your most recent practice exams and ride that curve!

So if people that think they failed do great, then what do the people who actually fail (or get <205) think? It can’t be that they think they did amazing.

Still beating that horse...

Reactions: 2 users
who knows, it might turn out just fine! I felt like my test also tested pretty heavy on a few concepts I was not strong at (a lot of antibiotics and insane ethics questions). A few people that I spoke with after the test thought they failed and every single one of them ended up being very surprised and happy with their results. I am also very nervous about my exam but trust in your most recent practice exams and ride that curve!

That's what I'm hoping for. Three of my classmates who finished when I did were like, "Wow my test was really easy!" I had a good cry in my car before going home and sleeping for like 10 hours. I'm going to try to ignore it until the results come in. I'm on an 8 weeks medicine rotation starting monday so my biggest worry is that I find out I failed, have to leave in the middle of rotation to study and then everyone knows. But hopefully that doesn't happen. I'm going into IM anyway (95% thats what I want to do) so I don't need a really really good score.

That's what I'm hoping for. Three of my classmates who finished when I did were like, "Wow my test was really easy!" I had a good cry in my car before going home and sleeping for like 10 hours. I'm going to try to ignore it until the results come in. I'm on an 8 weeks medicine rotation starting monday so my biggest worry is that I find out I failed, have to leave in the middle of rotation to study and then everyone knows. But hopefully that doesn't happen. I'm going into IM anyway (95% thats what I want to do) so I don't need a really really good score.

Did your friends take it same day as you...crazy what random and vary this test can be...

So if people that think they failed do great, then what do the people who actually fail (or get <205) think? It can’t be that they think they did amazing.

Still beating that horse...

Sometimes I do worst on the exams I felt the best about. You're most confident when you're incompetent. But then again I would imagine most people who fail knew going in there was a good chance they would fail, unless they didn't take any practice exams.

Sometimes I do worst on the exams I felt the best about. You're most confident when you're incompetent. But then again I would imagine most people who fail knew going in there was a good chance they would fail, unless they didn't take any practice exams.

agreed. i dont know anyone who consistently got <200 on practice exams then left the real exam feeling like they crushed it. but like you said, ignorance is bliss

Uuuugh, ok. UW questions overprepared me and the free 120 was spot on, I thought. Felt like there was a lot of weird stuff on there my resources didn’t really emphasize. Lots of anatomy and biomedical techniques questions and some nitpicky pharm stuff.

My NBMEs and UWSA have me between a 215 and 230 and I know I’m meant to trust those to be fairly close but ... I feel like I made educated guesses on a lot of questions and it could honestly go any way.

And screw NBME for putting the biostats calculations right at the end of the blocks where I’m short on time and don’t expect it.

No one expects the relative risk question!

Hey guys,
Took the test Monday and now studying for COMLEX this coming Tuesday, blah. I thought the test was really hard, but I never really felt great about any of my practice exams immediately after taking them and always thought the only reason my scores were as high as they were was due to good guessing. Hoping I guessed right on Monday for most, because there was a ton of guessing going on. My test was really heavy in endocrine and pharmacology, which a bunch of questions asking you to differentiate between drugs in the same class which really threw me off. I used sketchy pharm to prep for pharm, and felt going into it that pharm was one of my best subjects, but my test didn't ask a ton of questions from sketchy pharm that I remembered. I also had a lot of those up/down arrow physiology questions. Afterwards, I felt pretty horrible, was hoping to have >240 going into the test, but now just hoping for average around 230. It's going to be a long 4 weeks. I don't know how some of you guys with the 2 month wait times are doing it. I'm like 4 days in and it's killing me.
Anyways, practice test scores below for reference:
UWSA1: 251
UWSA2: 245
COMSAE form E: 657 (if I remember exactly right, not that it matters much for step 1)
NBME 18: 246
If I could do anything different, I wish I would've taken more NBMEs, but I was frustrated that you couldn't see all the questions and there were no explanations, so I didn't feel like I was learning as much as I was doing UWORLD. I did feel that my test more closely resembled the 1 NBME I did (18), for what that's worth. It's comforting to know some of you guys feel the same way post test, hoping for a very large curve and that the practice tests were at least somewhat predictive.

Score prediction? Each test taken about a week apart
UWSA1: 220
NBME 17: 198
NBME 19: 205
NBME 18: 215
UWSA2: 222 (lots of stupid mistakes)
Took the exam May 22. Goal: 220s-230s. Thanks!

Score prediction? Each test taken about a week apart
UWSA1: 220
NBME 17: 198
NBME 19: 205
NBME 18: 215
UWSA2: 222 (lots of stupid mistakes)
Took the exam May 22. Goal: 220s-230s. Thanks!
Similar scores as me! 230 on UWSA2

Also hoping for something around 225.

234 on UWSA 2 here

Took it Friday

Praying for anything over 220. I would do back flips if it’s > 230

Of course, it wouldn’t surprise me if I’m the first person in history in which UWSA overpredicts by 40 pts and then fail the exam

Whatever. I’m glad to be done with this crap. 2nd year hasn’t been that bad until the 2nd half of the semester and then board prep

I didn’t do anything today except playing video game and sleeping. It feels so good to be a lazy bum

234 on UWSA 2 here

Took it Friday

Praying for anything over 220. I would do back flips if it’s > 230

Of course, it wouldn’t surprise me if I’m the first person in history in which UWSA overpredicts by 40 pts and then fail the exam

Whatever. I’m glad to be done with this crap. 2nd year hasn’t been that bad until the 2nd half of the semester and then board prep

I didn’t do anything today except playing video game and sleeping. It feels so good to be a lazy bum
Definitely not going to fail it!

And board prep is by far the worst part of med school up to this point. Really glad it’s wrapping up now.

Thanks dude. Best of you to you. We have talked before under a diff nick

At this point, the process has been grueling enough that I’m just praying for everyone success

I’m glad to get away from the whole classroom process and be with real people who practice medicine and real pts

So today was Game Day! Finally done!
I may have had one of the easiest forms out there, with the exception of that damn anatomy, 4 question on anatomy per block, as an average. 35-40 percent of my exam was MICRO! which was absurd, I mean I love micro and it is my strength by a mile. but I was in shock at how uneven the exam was for micro. the rest was all over the place, even though I had the easiest exam I could have realistically asked for, I simply did not break 240, a lot of either you know it or don't type questions, and 10 percent of my exam was anatomy. and Ill be happy with a 230, simply because the curve was definitely brutal on my form. My exam was the same exact difficulty as the free 120, and some questions were uwsa1 and 2 difficulty. But I was thanking god for giving me so much micro, again still in shock about that micro. I think my exam was an outlier for sure, I would not go memorizing sketchy mico before your exam. For rest of questions, uworld and nbmes were gold. good luck to every one else!

Reactions: 5 users
So today was Game Day! Finally done!
I may have had one of the easiest forms out there, with the exception of that damn anatomy, 4 question on anatomy per block, as an average. 35-40 percent of my exam was MICRO! which was absurd, I mean I love micro and it is my strength by a mile. but I was in shock at how uneven the exam was for micro. the rest was all over the place, even though I had the easiest exam I could have realistically asked for, I simply did not break 240, a lot of either you know it or don't type questions, and 10 percent of my exam was anatomy. and Ill be happy with a 230, simply because the curve was definitely brutal on my form. My exam was the same exact difficulty as the free 120, and some questions were uwsa1 and 2 difficulty. But I was thanking god for giving me so much micro, again still in shock about that micro. I think my exam was an outlier for sure, I would not go memorizing sketchy mico before your exam. For rest of questions, uworld and nbmes were gold. good luck to every one else!

Congrats! Finally someone with some good news lol. Did you feel most of it was in ufaps then?

I see "Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active."

When I click on print permit, and mine shouldn't expire until August 1 (May thru July)

However I still see the normal icons when I log in. Any idea what this means?

Could this be it??? A whole week early???

EDIT: Dreams crushed :(

Last edited:
I see "Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active."

When I click on print permit, and mine shouldn't expire until August 1 (May thru July)

However I still see the normal icons when I log in. Any idea what this means?

Could this be it??? A whole week early!!!

The permit disappearing means the button to print permit actually goes away. Everyone gets that error message as soon as they submit the exam.

I've been a long-time lurker and haven't posted yet, and unfortunately my first post brings sad news. If you go to the announcements section on USMLE's website, you'll find the bad news.*

Scores won't be released until July 11th.

10 more days. Stay strong peeps.

*I can't post a link because of my newbie account. Didn't think that through very well. Whoopsie.

Need a confidence boost, give me a goal score:laugh:. I'm going for 240, you think I can crack 250 with 1 week to go?;

NBME 13: 219 (12 weeks out)
UWSA1: 241 (10 weeks out)
NBME 18: 242 (4 weeks out)
NBME 19: 236 (2 weeks out)
UWSA2: 249 (8 days out, today)

Any recommendations on how to crack 250 with 1 week to go? Definitely weak on biochem, derm, cardiovascular phys, neuro, and musculoskeletal. Should I just Zanki hard the subjects I missed on this past UWorld assessment?
You're definitely in striking range of a 250, definitely a 240. Key is to go over your weak points and hope for the best. As I'm sure you've seen from this thread, each test varies so much to the point I'm actually convinced the NBME is laughing meniachially at how much they enjoy mindf*cking us.

Need a confidence boost, give me a goal score:laugh:. I'm going for 240, you think I can crack 250 with 1 week to go?;

NBME 13: 219 (12 weeks out)
UWSA1: 241 (10 weeks out)
NBME 18: 242 (4 weeks out)
NBME 19: 236 (2 weeks out)
UWSA2: 249 (8 days out, today)

Any recommendations on how to crack 250 with 1 week to go? Definitely weak on biochem, derm, cardiovascular phys, neuro, and musculoskeletal. Should I just Zanki hard the subjects I missed on this past UWorld assessment?

Physeo really helped me with cardio physiology. It's fairly cheap, but if you don't wanna spend more money this late in the game, I also found BRS physiology really helpful.

You're definitely in striking range of a 250, definitely a 240. Key is to go over your weak points and hope for the best. As I'm sure you've seen from this thread, each test varies so much to the point I'm actually convinced the NBME is laughing meniachially at how much they enjoy mindf*cking us.

I actually think this may be true.

You know that someone from the NBME scouts these forums from time to time and I can’t help but think they are saying, “so you wanted to be a doctor huh...”

Costanzo is king (queen).

Never used it actually! Other than First Aid, BRS was the only textbook I've ever used in medical school, and even then I only read three chapters.

Edit: I am an idiot, never realized BRS physio = Costanzo. Everything makes sense now.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the link disappearing indicate that you passed?

I've read that too, but only ever in the context of someone who was going to get their score that week. Like I've never read anything about what happens when your eligibility expires, and if in that case, it disappearing still means you passed.

Mine disappeared because of eligibility.

All of this, and this 7 week wait, is just one big mind****.

I took mine on Friday and the link for the permit is still on the site. Is that a bad sign?

No, it should be there. The button itself will either disappear when your eligibility ends, or the Monday before you are about to get your score.