USMLE Official 2018 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot Fetish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to start one of these...So here we go! :)

My stats:

M2
Test time: June 2018
Goal score: 270

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
No, it should be there. The button itself will either disappear when your eligibility ends, or the Monday before you are about to get your score.
Lol ok thanks. Y’all need to chill with the conspiracy theories :p

Gonna have an ulcer by the end of next month

Reactions: 1 user
I took the exam last Monday and am not sure how it went. I can think of ~10 that I missed and then another 10 or so that I wasn't sure about, but I thought my exam was really tough and didn't look like anything I had seen before.

UWSA 1-4 weeks out-273
UWSA 2-1 week out-269
NBME 15-18 Last one the Thursday before all around right a 260
Free 120 95+% 3 days before

I'm afraid I missed too many to get anywhere close to my practice scores. Anyone have a similar experience to this and end up doing well?

Last edited:
I took the exam last Monday and am not sure how it went. I can think of ~10 that I missed and then another 10 or so that I wasn't sure about, but I thought my exam was really tough and didn't look like anything I had seen before.

UWSA 1-4 weeks out-273
UWSA 2-1 week out-269
NBME 15-18 Last one the Thursday before all around right a 260
Free 120 95+% 3 days before

I'm afraid I missed too many to get anywhere close to my practice scores. Anyone have a similar experience to this and end up doing well?

You’ll be fine, professor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Hoping for some realistic input here. Don't be afraid to give it to me brutally, but optimism is also appreciated.

NBME 13 (start of dedicated): 230 (172/200) 86%
UWorld 1st pass (timed/random): 72% (still have approximately 400 q's left)
NBME 15 (2 weeks ago): 225 (168/200) 84%
NBME 16 (yesterday): 228 (167/200) 83.5%

Test date: 7/28

I don't know how/why I dropped from the beginning of dedicated. My only guess is test-taking, bc I've definitely toned up some weaknesses.

Anyone have advice/tips on how to improve test-taking for NBME's? I take my blocks with 25-30 min left in each section for NBME's, (and 15-18 min left in UWorld), but I feel like I should perhaps slow down for NBME's? Test taking has never been an issue for me, but for some reason these NBME's really trigger my knee-jerk reflex to put down the 2nd order answer, when many times it's just a 1st order response. To anyone who improved with NBME's in a similar situation, how did you do it?

I have heard from many people that NBME's underestimate a lot, but after expecting a 250+ and ending up with these scores, it is still alarming. I'd like to be getting 90% and higher on my last few NBME's. I am trying to figure out a plan of attack to make the most of these next 3.5 weeks, so any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Been following this thread for a month or so?

Took Step today and wanted to shed some hope out there. Overall, it was honestly do-able. Hard for sure, but do-able. 90%, maybe more could be found in UFAPS. I also used B&B. When I read some of the experiences people have had on here -- well it lead me to expect the exam was truly unfair/impossible. Not going to post my scores until I get them - but here's my impressions. Also, trying to be general so bear with me.

Took 10 min out of the Tutorial to write down formulas i felt like I needed. Exam Felt like 80% UW questions; 20% NBME (I hated NBMEs; so thank goodness). Decent number of "slam dunk" questions within 5 seconds -- "next question". The spread of contents was pretty even, maybe heavier on endo/GI/repro. I know some people say that going thru and reading FA did not help them for the exam.. Well it helped me A LOT. The pages of FA were fresh as daisys in my head because of it. By block 5,, ehh not so much. Particularly, it helped simply in terms of speed -- I was able to quickly pick the right answer and move on to more difficult questions. Still SO glad I did it. I also looked at dirtyUSMLE videos and boy I wish I had found those things earlier.
In general, I had zero time to go and look back and questions I marked -- honestly thought that was the hardest part of the exam... the sheer amount of questions being blasted at your face within a certain time limit. My head was literally hot after the exam lol.

Not a fan of anatomy ever, but even that was do-able, I didn't get any wacky ones. I did get 5 questions about one general topic -- someone shuffled the deck wrong? Totally fine with it. Also some anatomy stuff - Definitely stuff that was NOT in my resources though but you could sorta figure it out?
Had a few difficult biochem ones that I hope were experimental, and others that were "low yield" --- whatever that means anymore (aka not tested in the Qbanks heavily). Speaking of low-yield, had Qs throughout a few systems that were definitely that LOL. With that being said, it was in my resources, but it'd be like a sentence on a page or a word.
EKGs = 4, basic.
Cardio was surprisingly not bad at all. I struggled with UW cardio but the cardio on my exam was more like NBME. Many times you can answer the question without listening to audio - but audio helped for sure.
5 or so derm questions with the pics. Biostats was basic(and biostats was my worst subject starting UW lol).
. A nice amount of Ethics questions --- many where you could narrow it down to two choices that both sounded okay for real. I didn't feel like I could prepare for that.

I can only recall one crazy 10th order type question LOL that had my head spinning. Majority were either 1st, 2nd, maybe 3rd.
I can also recall one where I've never heard of the bacteria before -- like even eliminating wouldn't have got me anywhere - but that's only one question.

Biggest thing was confidence for me. I'm overall a pretty anxious person but I needed to make sure that anxiety would NOT cost me on test day -- I just thought about how many hours I put in for this that I would NOT let something like that happen. Do what you gotta do, listen to motivational jams, etc, whatever. You will get flustered with questions, but do not let that frustration carry you over to the next question/block. Its so much more of a mental battle than we ever think about.
As far as resources go, UW was #1. Literally felt like 5 questions were straight from there - just worded slightly differently

Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys let me get your thoughts. Kind of freaking out with less than a month left for my test.

NBME 15: 225 (2.5 months ago)
Free 120: 81% (1.5 months ago)
NBME 17: 228 (1 month ago) - curve was a bitch
UWSA1: 247 (2 days ago)

UW first pass - 66%
Will be through half of it again (mistakes + marked) by game day

Planning to do nbme 19,UWSA2, and nbme 18 in that order
Test day is July 30
World online is that UWSA1 overpredicts by a lot..

Chances of getting 240+?

Took Step today and wanted to shed some hope out there. Overall, it was honestly do-able. Hard for sure, but do-able. 90%, maybe more could be found in UFAPS. I also used B&B. When I read some of the experiences people have had on here -- well it lead me to expect the exam was truly unfair/impossible. Not going to post my scores until I get them - but here's my impressions. Also, trying to be general so bear with me.

Took 10 min out of the Tutorial to write down formulas i felt like I needed. Exam Felt like 80% UW questions; 20% NBME (I hated NBMEs; so thank goodness). Decent number of "slam dunk" questions within 5 seconds -- "next question". The spread of contents was pretty even, maybe heavier on endo/GI/repro. I know some people say that going thru and reading FA did not help them for the exam.. Well it helped me A LOT. The pages of FA were fresh as daisys in my head because of it. By block 5,, ehh not so much. Particularly, it helped simply in terms of speed -- I was able to quickly pick the right answer and move on to more difficult questions. Still SO glad I did it. I also looked at dirtyUSMLE videos and boy I wish I had found those things earlier.
In general, I had zero time to go and look back and questions I marked -- honestly thought that was the hardest part of the exam... the sheer amount of questions being blasted at your face within a certain time limit. My head was literally hot after the exam lol.

Not a fan of anatomy ever, but even that was do-able, I didn't get any wacky ones. I did get 5 questions about one general topic -- someone shuffled the deck wrong? Totally fine with it. Also some anatomy stuff - Definitely stuff that was NOT in my resources though but you could sorta figure it out?
Had a few difficult biochem ones that I hope were experimental, and others that were "low yield" --- whatever that means anymore (aka not tested in the Qbanks heavily). Speaking of low-yield, had Qs throughout a few systems that were definitely that LOL. With that being said, it was in my resources, but it'd be like a sentence on a page or a word.
EKGs = 4, basic.
Cardio was surprisingly not bad at all. I struggled with UW cardio but the cardio on my exam was more like NBME. Many times you can answer the question without listening to audio - but audio helped for sure.
5 or so derm questions with the pics. Biostats was basic(and biostats was my worst subject starting UW lol).
. A nice amount of Ethics questions --- many where you could narrow it down to two choices that both sounded okay for real. I didn't feel like I could prepare for that.

I can only recall one crazy 10th order type question LOL that had my head spinning. Majority were either 1st, 2nd, maybe 3rd.
I can also recall one where I've never heard of the bacteria before -- like even eliminating wouldn't have got me anywhere - but that's only one question.

Biggest thing was confidence for me. I'm overall a pretty anxious person but I needed to make sure that anxiety would NOT cost me on test day -- I just thought about how many hours I put in for this that I would NOT let something like that happen. Do what you gotta do, listen to motivational jams, etc, whatever. You will get flustered with questions, but do not let that frustration carry you over to the next question/block. Its so much more of a mental battle than we ever think about.
As far as resources go, UW was #1. Literally felt like 5 questions were straight from there - just worded slightly differently

Thank you so much for the post!! That was really helpful and slightly calming to hear a good experience! What resources other than Uworld dii you use? Thank you!

I used UFAPS + B&B -- and before I started dedicated I used 75% of usmleRx. that Qbank was good at getting FA basics down but is not necessary. UW just has the clearest explanations, pictures/graphs. B&B is pretty amazing - I did all of it and I'm glad I did.
Pharm & neuro are my best subjects and I feel like sketchy helped but not as much as I though it was going to. I still think it's the best way to learn the material esp if you're a visual learner. Neuro was straight forward, lots of images - didn't mind whatsoever.
Also my exam did in general have a lot of images of all kinds in all systems, so don't neglect those maybe lol

I used UFAPS + B&B -- and before I started dedicated I used 75% of usmleRx. that Qbank was good at getting FA basics down but is not necessary. UW just has the clearest explanations, pictures/graphs. B&B is pretty amazing - I did all of it and I'm glad I did.
Pharm & neuro are my best subjects and I feel like sketchy helped but not as much as I though it was going to. I still think it's the best way to learn the material esp if you're a visual learner. Neuro was straight forward, lots of images - didn't mind whatsoever.
Also my exam did in general have a lot of images of all kinds in all systems, so don't neglect those maybe lol

Thank you for your response! I am doing B&B now and was wondering if you annotated whatever he said into your FA or just kind of listened alopng? Also, what do you think is the best way to get exposure to the imaging that you got on your exam? I am not really a visual learner but I kind of like Sketchy for Micro but not really a fan of the pharm. Do you think UW/FA was enough for the pharm on your exam? Sorry for the bombardment of questions, I really appreciate your responses!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response! I am doing B&B now and was wondering if you annotated whatever he said into your FA or just kind of listened alopng? Also, what do you think is the best way to get exposure to the imaging that you got on your exam? I am not really a visual learner but I kind of like Sketchy for Micro but not really a fan of the pharm. Do you think UW/FA was enough for the pharm on your exam? Sorry for the bombardment of questions, I really appreciate your responses!!

I think looking for a document that has all the old NBME exams in it with pictures is helpful. Look at the diagrams, know what every labeled structure is, recognize what the pictures are of. I did this a few days before my exam, it wasn’t a huge help for me but the other people in the group I did the review with said it was very helpful for their tests.

Took Step today and wanted to shed some hope out there. Overall, it was honestly do-able. Hard for sure, but do-able. 90%, maybe more could be found in UFAPS. I also used B&B. When I read some of the experiences people have had on here -- well it lead me to expect the exam was truly unfair/impossible.

Thank you for this! I also felt like this thread (and SDN/every medical student ever) make the test out to be larger than life and impossible. Everyone says that you’re supposed to feel awful after or feel like you did terribly, but I genuinely didn’t have that experience. It was a challenging exam but it was 100% within reach. I found it to bea well-written exam with less BS trick questions than UWorld. It’s a standardized test, there are supposed to be questions that you don’t kno w the answer to, but really I thought that my test was a nice amount of Medium-hard difficulty with a handful of WTF UW style and a nice amount of slam dunk questions as well. Anatomy was not killer, pharm was very fair, micro was well-represented but not nearly to the complexity that it was in class. I also don’t have my score, and I couldn’t tell you based on my experience whether I scored 200 or 260, but it was not in any way deserving of the reputation it has.

Reactions: 1 users

I annotated whatever was not already in FA into FA. I'm not one of those people that can just listen to lectures and absorb it like a sponge. If you add colorful drawings and stuff, maybe. Dr. Ryan does a great job with sticking pretty closely to FA so that was helpful. He has a great way of remembering things. He can be kinda boring lol and talks slowly.. many times I could 1.75x it.
--Most images I felt like were covered by UFAPS honestly. And yes many times you can "ignore" the images and just read the paragraph, but the image did help. There were times though where I was shown an image and asked the pathology of it with no other info, so there's that also, but like I said most of it was in ufaps.
I would say UW/FA was enough for the pharm.

21Rush12, it's nice to have someone agree! I know everyone's experience will differ, but I did feel like it did a pretty good job of testing what I've been working on for months now. Obviously had questions I didn't know how to answer -- but you just do your best at elimination and carry on. And yeah, there were a lot less tricky UW-like questions thank goodness lol. I also think if I would've been more anxious I would've obviously felt worse!

Hello everybody, I'm annotating Pathoma vids into FA as I'm learning. I haven't really used the Pathoma book itself because I saw a lot of overlap in the two. However, I'm missing out a bit on the Pathoma images in the book.

How important is it to hone into the histo or gross anatomy of the patho? Thanks in advance!

Hello everybody, I'm annotating Pathoma vids into FA as I'm learning. I haven't really used the Pathoma book itself because I saw a lot of overlap in the two. However, I'm missing out a bit on the Pathoma images in the book.

How important is it to hone into the histo or gross anatomy of the patho? Thanks in advance!

Hard to tell, but IMO the Pathoma videos are WAY better than book. In the videos he circles things and draws diagrams for you while explaining. The book is like, made of paper or something.

Reactions: 4 users
The website is definitely gonna crash next Wednesday when scores come out. Wondering if I should just wait until I get home from work to check. I don't think my heart could handle the stress of that website not loading.

I think looking for a document that has all the old NBME exams in it with pictures is helpful. Look at the diagrams, know what every labeled structure is, recognize what the pictures are of. I did this a few days before my exam, it wasn’t a huge help for me but the other people in the group I did the review with said it was very helpful for their tests.
Do you have this document with all the pictures? Would love to have it. Tried searching for it but no luck so far. Thanks

The website is definitely gonna crash next Wednesday when scores come out. Wondering if I should just wait until I get home from work to check. I don't think my heart could handle the stress of that website not loading.

Haha I’m so happy I have a busy day next Wednesday but I’d probably sneak out during rotation and first go and check my score

Haha I’m so happy I have a busy day next Wednesday but I’d probably sneak out during rotation and first go and check my score

Let's be real, I'll definitely do the same. But there's something about finding out my step score while hiding in a bathroom stall that just isn't so appealing haha. Also I haven't found the bathroom on my floor yet so I better get on that.

Let's be real, I'll definitely do the same. But there's something about finding out my step score while hiding in a bathroom stall that just isn't so appealing haha. Also I haven't found the bathroom on my floor yet so I better get on that.

LOL. I asked a resident for a nice place to go so that I can cry if its bad and shout if its good

Anyone know or by chance email NBME if poor soul who took step 1 on June 15 will also get their score back next Wednesday? It says early June....June 15 is not really early June...and barely 4 weeks...so I am unsure...

Checking for results after 2 months waiting ha ha
7868589.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know or by chance email NBME if poor soul who took step 1 on June 15 will also get their score back next Wednesday? It says early June....June 15 is not really early June...and barely 4 weeks...so I am unsure...

I would think so. I was under the impression that the delay ends July 11th and things go back to normal.

I would think so. I was under the impression that the delay ends July 11th and things go back to normal.

Correct me if I am wrong. In theory someone who had taken the test Friday June 15th should have actually gotten their score back July 4th which would have been the 3rd Wed rule or something but due to the holiday will be delayed a week.Someone who had taken the exam on Friday June 22nd should be past the point of that score release delay and in theory get their score back on Wed July 11th.

I believe everyone who has taken the exam since mid may through Sat June 23rd will all lump sum get their scores on July 11th as the majority who were waiting were due to the nbme scoree delay and the others were due to July 4th being a holiday.

P.S. What is this Permit disapearing rule. For example, if the permit dissapears next mon/tues is it almost a given your score is coming out that Wed?

More importantly, what does a holiday have to do with digital examinations where a computer does everything? :smack:

Reactions: 8 users
More importantly, what does a holiday have to do with digital examinations where a computer does everything? :smack:

A computer takes at least 3 weeks to compute a score and need holiday off...I think I am in for a wrong profession -_+

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Correct me if I am wrong. In theory someone who had taken the test Friday June 15th should have actually gotten their score back July 4th which would have been the 3rd Wed rule or something but due to the holiday will be delayed a week.Someone who had taken the exam on Friday June 22nd should be past the point of that score release delay and in theory get their score back on Wed July 11th.

I believe everyone who has taken the exam since mid may through Sat June 23rd will all lump sum get their scores on July 11th as the majority who were waiting were due to the nbme scoree delay and the others were due to July 4th being a holiday.

P.S. What is this Permit disapearing rule. For example, if the permit dissapears next mon/tues is it almost a given your score is coming out that Wed?

Yes I think you are 100% correct! If the permit disappears on Monday, you get your score that Wednesday. Unless your eligibility period has expired, in which case your permit disappears regardless of whether or not you're getting your score.

How did your exam go?

I pray Romans 8:28 was on your mind.

It went OKAY. I think the exam ended up being easier than I assumed, but I still missed so many questions. I marked north of half the exam, but I mark that much whenever I take any exam. I think the exam is much more doable than I assumed. Everything is in UFAP. It should teach to think more than memorize. There was not as much memorization as I thought on the exam, but more do you understand the disease and would you be able to understand how it affects this system, or this lab value etc. That's why it might not have felt really difficult because it wasn't a lot of things I didn't see but more that it was thinking of how they all related and not just remembering "Oh, this goes up and this goes down". I'm planning on writing a full write up when I get my score. Nonetheless, UFAP until you're blue.

Prayers are always welcome :) Romans 8:28 is on my mind now more than ever

Reactions: 8 users
shoot..

I'm not much of a prayer guy but Romans 8:28 is on my mind right now as well.

*Insert Prayer hand emoji that is really two hands high-fiving each other here*

It went OKAY. I think the exam ended up being easier than I assumed, but I still missed so many questions. I marked north of half the exam, but I mark that much whenever I take any exam. I think the exam is much more doable than I assumed. Everything is in UFAP. It should teach to think more than memorize. There was not as much memorization as I thought on the exam, but more do you understand the disease and would you be able to understand how it affects this system, or this lab value etc. That's why it might not have felt really difficult because it wasn't a lot of things I didn't see but more that it was thinking of how they all related and not just remembering "Oh, this goes up and this goes down". I'm planning on writing a full write up when I get my score. Nonetheless, UFAP until you're blue.

Sending prayers your way bud! wishing you best!

Thanks so much! Did you use sketchy Micro/Pharm at all? Havent done it before but am worried I may miss out on content in it thats not in FA.

Thanks so much! Did you use sketchy Micro/Pharm at all? Havent done it before but am worried I may miss out on content in it thats not in FA.

I used a small amount of each and never really liked them. I didn’t feel I missed anything critical because of this, they’re all just novel delivery systems for the same information.

It's been a week or so since I took step and can't shake the feeling that I bombed it. x3 NBMEs and UWSA2 were all low 220s but good lord I walked out of the testing center feeling like I got hit by a train.

Now my brain won't stop obsessing over all the questions I THINK I may have gotten wrong.

It's been a week or so since I took step and can't shake the feeling that I bombed it. x3 NBMEs and UWSA2 were all low 220s but good lord I walked out of the testing center feeling like I got hit by a train.

Now my brain won't stop obsessing over all the questions I THINK I may have gotten wrong.

It's a rite of passage. What's important is that you got through it and you're done. Enjoy the next 2-3 weeks of limbo.

I would use them. But take that with a grain of salt. You can have a series of questions based on a single family of meds, so I think it is best to do it but if you do it I would complete it. I did not complete pharm, had maybe 25% left which is like three classes of meds...yeah those did show up on my exam and I was kicking myself on the BUTT for not doing sketchy for them. I know them well enough without sketchy, but come exam time you wanna know those cold. You can do without them. I didnt need sketchy micro on my exam but its because micro on my exam in my opinion was easy, this hasnt been the case for everyone though. Other people will tell you they had 10 parasites etc.

Everything is in UFAP. But you need to use UFAP to develop a thinking and analytical platform as someone previously mentioned (someone cant check who it was I'm on my phone/lazy) and with UFAP you can answer it all. It just has to teach you to think and everything. I can stress this enough. My exam was easy in the sense that if you really understood the disease you can get these answers, there are only so many ways they can ask a bunch of questions but also learn the reason why things are right. Not just like "COPD has a barrel shaped chest" but WHY do they have that etc.

I would use them. But take that with a grain of salt. You can have a series of questions based on a single family of meds, so I think it is best to do it but if you do it I would complete it. I did not complete pharm, had maybe 25% left which is like three classes of meds...yeah those did show up on my exam and I was kicking myself on the BUTT for not doing sketchy for them. I know them well enough without sketchy, but come exam time you wanna know those cold. You can do without them. I didnt need sketchy micro on my exam but its because micro on my exam in my opinion was easy, this hasnt been the case for everyone though. Other people will tell you they had 10 parasites etc.

Everything is in UFAP. But you need to use UFAP to develop a thinking and analytical platform as someone previously mentioned (someone cant check who it was I'm on my phone/lazy) and with UFAP you can answer it all. It just has to teach you to think and everything. I can stress this enough. My exam was easy in the sense that if you really understood the disease you can get these answers, there are only so many ways they can ask a bunch of questions but also learn the reason why things are right. Not just like "COPD has a barrel shaped chest" but WHY do they have that etc.

Thanks for the reply! Yea I am planning on sticking to UFAPS and maybe add in Boards and Beyond. For how important uworld is, did you do it more than once or did you use any other qbanks?