USMLE Official 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As 2018 approaches and people are starting to rev up for their CK studying I figured I would start the 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread.

As always please follow all of the forum / NBME / USMLE etc.. rules and regulations when posting.

My dedicated starts tomorrow, have about 6 weeks to study over the holidays. Hoping for a 250 +, scored a 26x on step 1.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Why do you like that order? I was originally planning to take 8 next and then UWSA1. Any reason why I should switch like you suggested?

Good question! I personally liked taking UWSA1 to determine how my progress is. Because NBME 8 is a fairly new exam and historically, UWSA2 is rumored to be very close to your real score, mastering both the NBME style of questions as well as UWSA2 as close to test day as possible is i think quintessential for preparation of test day! I also highly suggest taking the CMS forms, definitely got a few questions on the real exam from those forms

So the thing is i got a 240 on uwsa 1 and exam as like others went pathetic came back and the very other day out of anxiety and fear though i was super relaxed and concentrated upon my uwsa 2 i got a 168. I wanted where i am standing on. the exam was more like uwsa 2 rather than 1 i am so scared would i able to make it? whats your prediction on my score
What were your nbmes?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Though my permit is nowhere to be seen on my ecfmg account

That really doesnt say anything other than the fact that MAYBE you might get your score this week.

I think its hard for us to predict knowing you only did 2 practice exams prior to the real thing and nothing can change the past so just try to relax and get your mind off of it.

Good question! I personally liked taking UWSA1 to determine how my progress is. Because NBME 8 is a fairly new exam and historically, UWSA2 is rumored to be very close to your real score, mastering both the NBME style of questions as well as UWSA2 as close to test day as possible is i think quintessential for preparation of test day! I also highly suggest taking the CMS forms, definitely got a few questions on the real exam from those forms
Thank you for the suggestion! Yes I may take UWSA1 first as a gauge of where I actually stand since the nbmes tend to underpredict.

I'm a little pressed for time (two weeks) - which of the CMS forms would you recommend?

Thank you for the suggestion! Yes I may take UWSA1 first as a gauge of where I actually stand since the nbmes tend to underpredict.

I'm a little pressed for time (two weeks) - which of the CMS forms would you recommend?

Definitely take all the OB and peds and if you have time try to take psych

anyone that take it on 6/18 have their permit disappear? mine is still there...although i get an error whenever i click it. Kinda panicking.

Can someone please explain how the CMS forms correlate to the exam and what's a good score on those forms?

All my CMS (forms 3 and 4) have been in the range of 20-23 (assessment score) which is 78-84 for the subject score.
But what I'm struggling to understand is that a good or bad score?

I asked the same question a while ago and all I got was crickets. I've done 5 so far and got 92-95 on all except emergency medicine where I got 69.

anyone that take it on 6/18 have their permit disappear? mine is still there...although i get an error whenever i click it. Kinda panicking.

I am an IMG. Wrote CK on 18th. Link is still there on IWA. But after clicking on it I am also getting an error. Are you an IMG too?

No advice, but I took it Friday and also thought it was awful. It was definitely the hardest test I’ve ever taken, much more difficult than any of the practice tests. I’ve also been worrying nonstop!
I had a similar experience. I scored 260+ on both UWSA1 and UWSA2 and found the actual exam to be very difficult. There were plenty of questions that seemingly had multiple correct answers and quite a few questions about esoteric topics that I did not come across during my studies. Hoping for a generous curve!

Anyone else have the feeling like no matter how much you study... you still won't be able to cover everything?

Also, does anyone know what a "good" 2nd pass of UW is (% wise)?

1st pass: 63% (38th percentile) - subject specific, untimed/tutor with rotations
2nd pass: 78% (82nd percentile) - randomized and timed

I'm a week out from my test and if I haul it, I'll be able to only get 50% of UW done in my second pass.
I made the mistake of studying book-heavily the first few weeks.

Anyone else have the feeling like no matter how much you study... you still won't be able to cover everything?

Also, does anyone know what a "good" 2nd pass of UW is (% wise)?

1st pass: 63% (38th percentile) - subject specific, untimed/tutor with rotations
2nd pass: 78% (82nd percentile) - randomized and timed

I'm a week out from my test and if I haul it, I'll be able to only get 50% of UW done in my second pass.
I made the mistake of studying book-heavily the first few weeks.

Have you taken any of the NBMEs or UWSAs yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Long time lurker here... I'm taking my USMLE Step 2 ck this Friday. Nervous and agnostic as hell right now :(
Anybody want to predict my scores and help calm me down? (I know I know its vain, but I'm nervous all the same mate')

Step 1: 250
UWSA1: 251 (4 weeks out)
NBME 8: 242 (3 weeks out)
UWSA2: 256 (6 days out)
1st pass uworld: 74-75%
2nd pass uworld: 85-86%

Thanks guys... also praying for all your scores to be nice tomorrow... good luck my friends.

Have you taken any of the NBMEs or UWSAs yet?

Yes, I did 1 NBME (I believe it was NBME 7) to establish a baseline and 1 UWSA.
I'm planning to take my second UWSA in 2 days.

NBME 7: 213 (terrified out of my mind - but I took it the day after my physical exam boards and during my last rotation of 3rd year)
UWSA: 245

I am aiming for a 250+.

Long time lurker here... I'm taking my USMLE Step 2 ck this Friday. Nervous and agnostic as hell right now :(
Anybody want to predict my scores and help calm me down? (I know I know its vain, but I'm nervous all the same mate')

Step 1: 250
UWSA1: 251 (4 weeks out)
NBME 8: 242 (3 weeks out)
UWSA2: 256 (6 days out)
1st pass uworld: 74-75%
2nd pass uworld: 85-86%

Thanks guys... also praying for all your scores to be nice tomorrow... good luck my friends.

You're gonna crush it.
Seriously.

If I had your scores, I would be much calmer right now!
I understand your anxiety, but I really feel like you've done all you can do. Stay calm leading up until test day, and I think you'll crush it (even if you don't feel like it when you walk out of the testing center).

Good luck, dude!

You're gonna crush it.
Seriously.

If I had your scores, I would be much calmer right now!
I understand your anxiety, but I really feel like you've done all you can do. Stay calm leading up until test day, and I think you'll crush it (even if you don't feel like it when you walk out of the testing center).

Good luck, dude!

Thank you... I'm just anxious because I didn't study hard for it (besides uworld x2, and comat [DO shelfs} prep), and have had extremely low motivation... my step 1 prep on the other hand was borderline insano... so if hard work= good score on step 1, what does mediocre work equal for step 2ck ?

Anyone have any anecdotal examples of how they did on the free 120 vs what they got on the real deal? I know the free 120 is probably absolutely terrible at predicting, but I'm just curious.

Thank you... I'm just anxious because I didn't study hard for it (besides uworld x2, and comat [DO shelfs} prep), and have had extremely low motivation... my step 1 prep on the other hand was borderline insano... so if hard work= good score on step 1, what does mediocre work equal for step 2ck ?

I am totally with you on that. My focus and motivation for STEP 2 has been so much lower than for STEP 1. But if it's any comfort, all of the anecdotal information I've heard from my classmates tells me that most people feel that way.

Hey ya'll. Help me out here.
NBME 6 - 245
NBME 7 - 230
UWSA 1 - 265 2 weeks ago
NBME 8 - 228 1 week ago

July 23 is the D day
No idea as to why my score dropped like it nobody's business on NBME 8. Well, I was in a bad state of mind when I did it, but nobody cares about reasons. Just wondering, with my mocks all over the place, how do I really assess myself? I guess UWSA 2 score will be my answer?

NBME 6 - 245
NBME 7 - 230
UWSA 1 - 265 2 weeks ago
NBME 8 - 228 1 week ago

July 23 is the D day
No idea as to why my score dropped like it nobody's business on NBME 8. Well, I was in a bad state of mind when I did it, but nobody cares about reasons. Just wondering, with my mocks all over the place, how do I really assess myself? I guess UWSA 2 score will be my answer?

Trust ur UWSA scores more than NBME is what I've been told... also for me on NBME 8 a 242 was an 85%- 86% raw score!!!! In my books anything over 80% is awesome. So if I were you I'd ignore the NBMEs, accept your UWSA, and go into the beast with confidence (which I'm lacking right now cause my test is friday haha). Hope this helps.

Been hearing that! well, I hope UWSA 2 favors me. Mind if ask what your UWSAs look like? Go kill the test!! If you're doing it, might as well do it right and go fully pumped..Thanks a lot man! Good luck to you

I had a similar experience. I scored 260+ on both UWSA1 and UWSA2 and found the actual exam to be very difficult. There were plenty of questions that seemingly had multiple correct answers and quite a few questions about esoteric topics that I did not come across during my studies. Hoping for a generous curve!

Glad I’m not the only one that felt this way! It really sucks we have to wait such a long time for our score to come back too. I’m gonna make myself crazy by the time it gets here haha.

NBME 6 - 245
NBME 7 - 230
UWSA 1 - 265 2 weeks ago
NBME 8 - 228 1 week ago

July 23 is the D day
July 23rd is my D-Day too.

I would say since the UWSAs are extremely more predictive that you can average them to get a rough estimate of your score.

I'm posting this for my wife's test 6/19.
There is a link for the permit but it does not work . No score yet .

Does anyone know whether people who wrote their exams from June 7th to June 13th got their scores on June 27th? I wrote mine on June 18th. No email or score yet.

Got my score
Non-US citizen IMG

Step 1: 198
UWSA1: 254
UWSA2: 246 (but i cheated on 3 questions)
NBME 8: 242
Step 2: 221

I know this was far below my practice exams but I am so relieved to have passed this dumb exam. As witnessed by my step 1, i did not have a strong base so i had to work my butt off to even pass this thing. It really has been a mess studying for it.

Good luck to everyone!

Got my score
Non-US citizen IMG

I know this was far below my practice exams but I am so relieved to have passed this dumb exam. As witnessed by my step 1, i did not have a strong base so i had to work my butt off to even pass this thing. It really has been a mess studying for it.

Good luck to everyone!
When did you take your test ?

Got my score
Non-US citizen IMG

Good luck to everyone!

Congrats on the huge jump up from Step 1!!

But this makes me slightly nervous as your nbme scores are excellent and your UWSAs are near my goal. I thought they were supposed to be predictive.