USMLE Official 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As 2018 approaches and people are starting to rev up for their CK studying I figured I would start the 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread.

As always please follow all of the forum / NBME / USMLE etc.. rules and regulations when posting.

My dedicated starts tomorrow, have about 6 weeks to study over the holidays. Hoping for a 250 +, scored a 26x on step 1.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi
IMG here
Currently preparing for ck. How good or bad is scoring 75% in first round of UW?
Aiming 250+
Would also like to know how to improve surgery and obgyn . I feel I'm pretty much weak in these subjects ..
Kindly suggest

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my results back 254 thank you God! Extremely happy with my score , I felt exam was brutal and really similar to NBME 7. I actually got the same score as NBME 7.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my results back 254 thank you God! Extremely happy with my score , I felt exam was brutal and really similar to NBME 7. I actually got the same score as NBME 7.
wow congratulations!! an amazing score! can you please help me a little? what were your study sources? and how long did you study for ck?

Reactions: 1 user
I PASSED MY DUDES!!!
2wks dedicated while interviewing for residency.
UWSA1 (2wks out) - 241
UWSA2 (1wk out) - 241
Actual Step2 CK - 243

I honestly felt like I failed this exam and was anticipating a low 200s. Keep your heads up my dudes.

I PASSED MY DUDES!!!
UWSA1 (2wks out) - 241
UWSA2 (1wk out) - 241
Actual Step2 CK - 243

I honestly felt like I failed this exam and was anticipating a low 200s. Keep your heads up my dudes.
Congratulations!!! I'm using only uworld for my prep, do you think thats enough? or should I add MTB?

I PASSED MY DUDES!!!
UWSA1 (2wks out) - 241
UWSA2 (1wk out) - 241
Actual Step2 CK - 243

What were your Uworld averages? I’ve been averaging between 60-75 on untimed 40 Q blocks and have an overall average of 66. Trying to get 240-255. 6 weeks out

Congrats,
can I ask when was the date of you exam? mine was Dec 17th and I haven't received my score yet.

wow congratulations!! an amazing score! can you please help me a little? what were your study sources? and how long did you study for ck?
I only used OnlineMedEd and Uworld. In the beginning, I did Kaplan videos but honestly, the only one I recommend is the OBGYN videos. I did Kaplan videos from April - June and then started doing OnlineMedEd. But that was like 4-5 hrs a day, around October is when I started studying for 8-12 hrs daily and started doing Uworld. I did Uworld twice. out of all the NBME's I believe the most accurate and predictive for me was NBME 7. UWSA 1 and 2 were over predictive for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took 6 weeks dedicated study time. Like I stated before I felt really bad coming out of the test, the exam was really vague and I had difficulty with time, had lots of biostats I can remember at least 20 questions were biostats only. Everything else was a mix of everything. I really think OnlineMedEd and Uworld are enough. For OBGYN Kaplan was really helpful. My first pass of Uworld I averaged around 75% and second pass I averaged 92%.

Step 1: 237
Step 2 CK: 254

NBME6: 265 ( 6 wks before exam)
UWSA 1: 262 ( 5 wks before exam)
NBME 7: 254 ( 3 wks before exam)
NBME 8: 267 ( 1 wk before exam)
UWSA 2: 264 ( 4 days before exam)
Free 120 Q's: 90% ( 3 days before exam)

I took 6 weeks dedicated study time. Like I stated before I felt really bad coming out of the test, the exam was really vague and I had difficulty with time, had lots of biostats I can remember at least 20 questions were biostats only. Everything else was a mix of everything. I really think OnlineMedEd and Uworld are enough. For OBGYN Kaplan was really helpful. My first pass of Uworld I averaged around 75% and second pass I averaged 92%.

Step 1: 237
Step 2 CK: 254

NBME6: 265 ( 6 wks before exam)
UWSA 1: 262 ( 5 wks before exam)
NBME 7: 254 ( 3 wks before exam)
NBME 8: 267 ( 1 wk before exam)
UWSA 2: 264 ( 4 days before exam)
Free 120 Q's: 90% ( 3 days before exam)

congrats thats an amazing score. Did u do any of the CMS questions?
for biostats is uworld enough?

congrats thats an amazing score. Did u do any of the CMS questions?
for biostats is uworld enough?
yes I did do CMS questions, I did Surgery, OBGYN and Peds.

I cant really tell you about biostats, since its always been one of my weakness, I just did I Uworld and hoped for the best.

yes I did do CMS questions, I did Surgery, OBGYN and Peds.

I cant really tell you about biostats, since its always been one of my weakness, I just did I Uworld and hoped for the best.

do u think CMS helped? i am a week out of exam i am wondering if i should continue with CMS or just do uworld

Congratulations!!! I'm using only uworld for my prep, do you think thats enough? or should I add MTB?
I used Uworld during my rotations and I reworked blocks of specific topics that I struggled with. I ended up getting about 400q's into a second go around of Uworld.

In addition to Uworld, after taking that last UWSA2 I focused only on reading "Step 2 Secrets" which gave me about 5 gimmes on the exam that I would have questioned. I highlighted crap I knew I would forget the first read through, and then I took another day to re-read it focusing on my highlighted areas and skimmed the rest. So my resources were: Uworld, OME (some flashcards - I wish I would have done more OME flashcards but the vids were good to get a baseline), and Step 2 Secrets (read once through and second time skimmed during the week before the exam).

Seems like what I did was pretty much what most people ended up doing -- which is probably why I scored average. I'm insanely excited about my score, but I understand that it's an average score and I'm thrilled to be done with that. :D

What were your Uworld averages? I’ve been averaging between 60-75 on untimed 40 Q blocks and have an overall average of 66. Trying to get 240-255. 6 weeks out

I had about the same Uworld averages. During my second pass the averages of course went up. With 6 weeks you should be set. In short, most people are doing Uworld, OME, and Step2 Secrets. You should be set man. Just don't let up because no matter what, that exam is going to make you feel terrible.

I only used OnlineMedEd and Uworld. In the beginning, I did Kaplan videos but honestly, the only one I recommend is the OBGYN videos. I did Kaplan videos from April - June and then started doing OnlineMedEd. But that was like 4-5 hrs a day, around October is when I started studying for 8-12 hrs daily and started doing Uworld. I did Uworld twice. out of all the NBME's I believe the most accurate and predictive for me was NBME 7. UWSA 1 and 2 were over predictive for me.
Thank you so much! this really helped. I guess uworld with a little bit of help from other sources should be enough. My step 1 score is in 240s so I'm trying to top that and I feel exhausted and worried that I won't be able to.

I used Uworld during my rotations and I reworked blocks of specific topics that I struggled with. I ended up getting about 400q's into a second go around of Uworld.

In addition to Uworld, after taking that last UWSA2 I focused only on reading "Step 2 Secrets" which gave me about 5 gimmes on the exam that I would have questioned. I highlighted crap I knew I would forget the first read through, and then I took another day to re-read it focusing on my highlighted areas and skimmed the rest. So my resources were: Uworld, OME (some flashcards - I wish I would have done more OME flashcards but the vids were good to get a baseline), and Step 2 Secrets (read once through and second time skimmed during the week before the exam).

Seems like what I did was pretty much what most people ended up doing -- which is probably why I scored average. I'm insanely excited about my score, but I understand that it's an average score and I'm thrilled to be done with that. :D
Ohh no its a great score. I've always believed 240s mean you will not be excluded from any hospital because almost none have a filter beyond that. Even the best hospitals have a 235/40+ filter so its a veryyyy safe zone. Good luck to you for the match and thanks for replying man! really helped! :)

Took CK Sunday 12/16. Had high hopes for report today (thought for sure since it’s fully 4 wednesdays) but seems like it’s getting late. Also seems that folks from previous week (eg 12/13) only just coming out today. Anyone else?

Hi everyone. I just started studying for step 2 ck. I have to take exam in April. Cannot afford more delay because of family reasons. My step 1 score was average. I really want to score good in this exam. Question. Do i HAVE to do uworld twice or doing it once with MTB and SU2M is enough? Please help...
My advice based on my experience: uworld at least once and go over every explanation even if you got it right. Focus more on "why is this NOT the answer" than just learning the correct one. I made notes from uworld and read that while commuting. Studied for 1.5 months while doing research and putting together application for this year's match... scored 260+. I personally did not like MTB and never tried SU2M. I would focus more on understanding uworld and doing as many questions as possible than adding other resources.

Last edited:
Well my main resources were First Aid for CK and Uworld. I completed Uworld the first time around with maybe an average of 72 - 75%. Right before exam I would just randomly do blocks of questions I either highlighted or got incorrect, didn't do a complete re run of the whole software and Im not one for resetting the bank. I prefer to review questions I got wrong.
I started studying passively in march, just reading through the book, making notes and doing Uworld questions. I really kicked into gear in the 3 months right before the exam, I read master the boards but not the whole thing, not a very helpful book in my opinion and I don't like how its set up. Everyone complains about first aid for CK but it was much easier for me to read and make notes in. For bio stats I read a little in my FA for step 1 and watched videos online because I'm very weak in it, especially the drug ads and of course I got a few of those in my exam, which I had to make some educated guesses. The exam was very weird and I left not feeling so great, got a lot of step 1 type biochem questions like about carnitine deficiency, some histology, just a bunch of weird stuff and not a lot of the high yield things I had focused on but I'm really grateful for my score especially as an IMG, planning to try match for internal medicine in 2020.

NBME 6 ( 6 weeks before) - 247
NBME 7 ( 5 weeks before) - 247
UW SA 1 ( 4 weeks before) - 251
UW SA 2 ( 3 weeks before) - 248
NBME 8 ( 6 days before) - 245

Step 1 : 238
Step 2 CK Real Deal : 257

NB: Step up to Medicine and Step up to Obgyn is a good book to review if medicine and obgyn are not your best topics and you have some time

Hi. Many congratulations for such an awesome score ..
Please share your experience

Well my main resources were First Aid for CK and Uworld. I completed Uworld the first time around with maybe an average of 72 - 75%. Right before exam I would just randomly do blocks of questions I either highlighted or got incorrect, didn't do a complete re run of the whole software and Im not one for resetting the bank. I prefer to review questions I got wrong.
I started studying passively in march, just reading through the book, making notes and doing Uworld questions. I really kicked into gear in the 3 months right before the exam, I read master the boards but not the whole thing, not a very helpful book in my opinion and I don't like how its set up. Everyone complains about first aid for CK but it was much easier for me to read and make notes in. For bio stats I read a little in my FA for step 1 and watched videos online because I'm very weak in it, especially the drug ads and of course I got a few of those in my exam, which I had to make some educated guesses. The exam was very weird and I left not feeling so great, got a lot of step 1 type biochem questions like about carnitine deficiency, some histology, just a bunch of weird stuff and not a lot of the high yield things I had focused on but I'm really grateful for my score especially as an IMG, planning to try match for internal medicine in 2020.

NBME 6 ( 6 weeks before) - 247
NBME 7 ( 5 weeks before) - 247
UW SA 1 ( 4 weeks before) - 251
UW SA 2 ( 3 weeks before) - 248
NBME 8 ( 6 days before) - 245

Step 1 : 238
Step 2 CK Real Deal : 257

NB: Step up to Medicine and Step up to Obgyn is a good book to review if medicine and obgyn are not your best topics and you have some time
Thanks for sharing. You really did an amazing job. I'm currently at my first round of UW and averaging 75%.
Step 1 was 244..
Planning to take ck by the start of May and aiming 250+..
I feel I'm weak in obgyn and surgery.. will try to cover these subjects from step up to as well.
Can you share how many months did you take to prepare for ck?

Just sharing for my wife.
Step 1: 219
NBME 8 220
USWA1 198
USWA2 230
Step 2: 240

for the more average students out there. Since everyone usually just posts all the high scores. The average was 243 with a SD of 17

Reactions: 4 users
Just sharing for my wife.
Step 1: 219
NBME 8 220
USWA1 198
USWA2 230
Step 2: 240

for the more average students out there. Since everyone usually just posts all the high scores. The average was 243 with a SD of 17
wow thats an amazing score! what did she do different from practice test to improve score ?
how far out were the practice test to the actual exam?

wow thats an amazing score! what did she do different from practice test to improve score ?
how far out were the practice test to the actual exam?

NBME 8 was USWA1 was 30 days before, NBME 8 1 week, and USWA2 3 days before. She just did uworld alone. She's not a great test taker but just did the questions and made flashcards for what she missed. She was kinda lazy and didn't review all her wrongs but was just hoping to pass at this point. Studied for 30 days. She felt like she was gonna fail the exam when she walked out. So idk lol

hello all, im feeling really confused about how to proceed...

I gave nbme 6 at about 50 % first read of uworld and got 211 in that, and uwsa1 at 60 % and got 247 in that.
I have about 25 % first read of uworld left to do , but its taking wayyyy too much time.
Is there any way to speed this up?
Also, which of these assessments is reliable?
Which one shud i take next to get an idea if i am good to go? NBME 7/8 or UWSA2?
I have to finish ck either at the end of this month or postpone it till march or after.
Is this completely impossible?
I have finished step one and got a 244 for in that. Am aiming for a higher score than that!

My advice based on my experience: uworld at least once and go over every explanation even if you got it right. Focus more on "why is this NOT the answer" than just learning the correct one. I made notes from uworld and read that while commuting. Studied for 1.5 months while doing research and putting together application for this year's match... scored 260+. I personally did not like MTB and never tried SU2M. I would focus more on understanding uworld and doing as many questions as possible than adding other resources.

hi, could you tell us what kind of things we should put together for the application for this year's match?

hi, could you tell us what kind of things we should put together for the application for this year's match?
I don't know if this is the correct forum for this question, you can PM if you'd like more information. I am a NonUS-IMG so my experience does not apply to everyone but basically you need 3-4 LOR that they need to upload themselves, personal statement, make sure your school submits transcript and MSPE, research what programs you're interested in and how many you can afford to apply to, completing your CV through ERAS (more time consuming than you might think), getting a professional portrait for ERAS etc etc

Hey everyone.

do you guys know what it means for FCVS portion for step 2CK : Pass/ Fail to be a blank answer?

It used to say undetermined until today when it became blank. Permit is gone.

Hey Congrats on the awesome score.
How far out were you from Step 1? I am worried that I have delayed my CK too much. Took Step 1 about a year ago.

Hey Congrats on the awesome score.
How far out were you from Step 1? I am worried that I have delayed my CK too much. Took Step 1 about a year ago.
Thanks! I gave Step 1 November 2017 and CK on August 2018... about 9 months between tests. Focus on uworld and understanding the reasoning behind the answers! You'll do great! And for what it's worth, I felt horrible after the test and thought I would fail hahah trust your assessments and not your post-exam gut feeling

Last edited:
Just got my score back after an exhausting 4 weeks of waiting.

For some background: I took step 1 and failed with a 185, studied again and retook it and got a 216.

For Step 2 I did UWorld primarily as well as a bit of OME.

I did all the practice exams, however to be honest I did take the NBME exams half heartedly because everyone told me they were very poor at predicting.

NBME 6: 196
NBME 8: 198
NBME 7: 203
Free 120: 81% (untimed)
UWSA1: 222 (I think I was tired that day)
UWSA2: 226 (surprised it was higher??)

Real deal: 237!!!!

Not the most amazing score in the world, but hopefully good enough improvement from Step 1.

Good luck everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Took my exam 28 dec 2018. Got scores today: 261.

Left the exam feeling like I failed. Everything was a blur. Trust your practice scores.

Uworld: 1st pass 69%, 2nd pass 94%
Amboss: 69%
Kaplan: 76%
Kaplan simulated: 78%, 86%
CMS forms: 80-90% for all except psych; psych was difficult imo
NBME 6: 247 (3 months out), 7: 262, 8: 27x (low 270s) 7 and 8 done 3-4 days out
UWSA1: 290 (super inflated as I did zanki which covers UWSA)
UWSA2: 27x (super inflated as I did zanki)

I’m an MD-PhD IMG student who did the exam before completing any core rotations. I have only done 3 months of (med and surg) rotations prior to taking the step. Studied 1y part-time (during my last PhD year) and used it to ease the transition back into medicine after PhD. Have not done any psych, obs/gyn, or paeds. Did not find any one in a similar position as I was so just thought I would share my experience: it is possible to do okay even without completing core rotations although I would advice against it. Exam was very difficult and I left the exam thinking that the only thing that I could have done to improve my scores was more time on the wards.

Resources:
- SU2M and MTB (only used it as I had not been doing medicine for 4 years due to PhD so needed something to help relearn a lot of things I had forgotten)
- onlinemeded
- zanki and WiWA (very good resources; highly recommend; did both; WiWA is more comprehensive)

Step 1: 261 (2014; done during first year of PhD)

Took my exam 28 dec 2018. Got scores today: 261.

Left the exam feeling like I failed. Everything was a blur. Trust your practice scores.

Uworld: 1st pass 69%, 2nd pass 94%
Amboss: 69%
Kaplan: 76%
Kaplan simulated: 78%, 86%
CMS forms: 80-90% for all except psych; psych was difficult imo
NBME 6: 247 (3 months out), 7: 262, 8: 27x (low 270s) 7 and 8 done 3-4 days out
UWSA1: 290 (super inflated as I did zanki which covers UWSA)
UWSA2: 27x (super inflated as I did zanki)

I’m an MD-PhD IMG student who did the exam before completing any core rotations. I have only done 3 months of (med and surg) rotations prior to taking the step. Studied 1y part-time (during my last PhD year) and used it to ease the transition back into medicine after PhD. Have not done any psych, obs/gyn, or paeds. Did not find any one in a similar position as I was so just thought I would share my experience: it is possible to do okay even without completing core rotations although I would advice against it. Exam was very difficult and I left the exam thinking that the only thing that I could have done to improve my scores was more time on the wards.

Resources:
- SU2M and MTB (only used it as I had not been doing medicine for 4 years due to PhD so needed something to help relearn a lot of things I had forgotten)
- onlinemeded
- zanki and WiWA (very good resources; highly recommend; did both; WiWA is more comprehensive)

Step 1: 261 (2014; done during first year of PhD)
what's the reason you didn't take it after your clerkships? this sounds like a lot of work at the tail end of your phd.

Sent from my LG-H918 using SDN mobile

what's the reason you didn't take it after your clerkships? this sounds like a lot of work at the tail end of your phd.

Sent from my LG-H918 using SDN mobile

Good question. Mainly because I wanted to use it to get “back in shape” for medicine as I felt that I had forgotten most of what I had learnt during my pre-clinical years. Also I wasn’t too happy with how my PhD went so I wanted something else to show for it (I am in the process of getting my main work published but it’s nothing game-changing).

It was mad trying to juggle thesis + studying but I spaced out the studying over 1 year and I was consistently writing up my publication as I did experiments so all I had to do for the thesis was transfer what I had written for the publications over. My school allows us to submit a thesis by publications so that helped.

Looking back, I would advice people who want to optimize their scores to do it after core rotations. But at the same time I am glad that I have step 2 out of the way so my focus this year will be on applying for electives and getting my clinical skills up to snuff + some time on the side to do a little bit of research as well.

Good question. Mainly because I wanted to use it to get “back in shape” for medicine as I felt that I had forgotten most of what I had learnt during my pre-clinical years. Also I wasn’t too happy with how my PhD went so I wanted something else to show for it (I am in the process of getting my main work published but it’s nothing game-changing).

It was mad trying to juggle thesis + studying but I spaced out the studying over 1 year and I was consistently writing up my publication as I did experiments so all I had to do for the thesis was transfer what I had written for the publications over. My school allows us to submit a thesis by publications so that helped.

Looking back, I would advice people who want to optimize their scores to do it after core rotations. But at the same time I am glad that I have step 2 out of the way so my focus this year will be on applying for electives and getting my clinical skills up to snuff + some time on the side to do a little bit of research as well.
My two cents: take step 3 ASAP... it is extremely similar to step 2CK and you clearly know the material inside and out! Congratulations on such a great score!

Got score back from 12/23.

Step 1: 270

Took a year off between 3rd and 4th year, currently half way through ms4 yr. Went through UWorld once, 84%. Didn't take any of the practice NBMEs, and totally forgot about the free 120 lol.
UWSA 1: 272 (2 days out)
UWSA 2: 265 (1 day out)

Step 2 CK: 268

The real thing definitely felt very very difficult, was running low on time and marking a bunch of questions

My two cents: take step 3 ASAP... it is extremely similar to step 2CK and you clearly know the material inside and out! Congratulations on such a great score!
Thanks for the advice! I will definitely aim to do step 3 by the end of the year. :)

Got score back from 12/23.

Step 1: 270

Took a year off between 3rd and 4th year, currently half way through ms4 yr. Went through UWorld once, 84%. Didn't take any of the practice NBMEs, and totally forgot about the free 120 lol.
UWSA 1: 272 (2 days out)
UWSA 2: 265 (1 day out)

Step 2 CK: 268

The real thing definitely felt very very difficult, was running low on time and marking a bunch of questions

Congrats on the great score!!! Echo the marking a lot of questions. I think I marked about 50% of the questions on every block.

Got my score today and it was 237. Scores 242 on both UWorld self assessment exams (Scored 236 on Step 1)

The exam was very difficult to prepare for in my honest opinion - I would have given myself 2-3 more months and studied more UpToDate instead of reading through Master The Boards (it was useless, way too simplistic for the exam). UWorld was alright. USMLE-rx also trash. I treated myself at an exclusive Japanese restaurant (and oh boy it was good) the day before my exam and ended up with a horrible food poisoning during my 9 hour USMLE 2CK exam ... Eat exotic foods AFTER the exam :D

Goodluck you guys

Last edited:
Got my score today and it was 237. Scores 242 on both UWorld self assessment exams (Scored 236 on Step 1)

The exam was very difficult to prepare for in my honest opinion - I would have given myself 2-3 more months and studied more UpToDate instead of reading through Master The Boards (it was useless, way too simplistic for the exam). UWorld was alright. USMLE-rx also trash. I treated myself at an exclusive Japanese restaurant (and oh boy it was good) the day before my exam and ended up with a horrible food poisoning during my 9 hour USMLE 2CK exam ... Eat exotic foods AFTER the exam :D

Goodluck you guys
your suppose to treat yourself AFTER the exam not before LOL :) anyways congrats on the score best of luck