Desmin

2+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2017
Hey friends, I have exam in 10 days. There is a lot of stuff yet to revise. I gave UWSAs and two nbmes and have done good in them(>250). I don't know why but somehow, I don’t have the confidence that I had while giving my step 1. It just feels that there is so much stuff in CK and it is not just limited to UW. I don’t know what I should do in these 10 days.
Also, is it really necessary for you to score better in your CK than in your Step1?
Shall appreciate your help.

mariines

2+ Year Member
May 24, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Hello everyone, I took step 2 ck on Dec 13th and the test was brutal. I came out of it super tired and disheartened. I'm felt that questions were extremely long and didn't have enough time in each block. In two blocks I had to pick an answer for the last two questions without even reading it. I remember that coming out of step 1 I felt confident but not with step 2ck. Right now I'm just praying that I passed.

Doc2b82

5+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2013
Status
Medical Student
anyone expecting scores this wed not been able to sign up for step 3? just wondering if there's any merit to it when my time comes...TIA

Oct 31, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Exam in a couple days. Any advice? What should I do the day before? Chill? Read something special?

Should I print out my exam permit or can I just show it to them on my phone?

Thanks guys! This forum has been really helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

blueforest

2+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2014
hey..thanks for the post and i hope you get the best program in field of your choice. Im sure you will rock!
Can i bother you with a few more doubts? How exactly did you utilize the FA for ck and was it useful?
Also, what exactly are the emma holiday pdfs and where can i get my hands on them?
Thanks again for taking time to reply!
Thanks. Just google "Emma Holiday PDFs" and they should come up. She was a MS-4 I believe who made her own slideshow presentations for her clerkship rotations and then presented them at live lectures. They have some great material in there with many buzzwords that you should absolutely memorize.

FA for CK wasn't the best book, so I just tried reading the sections as I reviewed my UW incorrects and annotated.

Dec 18, 2018
Anyone expecting results tomorrow? I've been reading the forums about all these "tricks".

My permit has disappeared and if i try to fill out the application it says "Our records indicate that you are already registered for this Step or Step Component. You may not apply for a Step or Step Component if you are already registered for that Step or Step Component."

I also tried the step 3 sign up trick and that says I'm not eligible to start the application for that yet. I know some people had that trick work the day before and night before results, but there were a few that were'nt able to sign up for step 3 despite having step 1 and CS done and still passed.

Anyone have any experiences like this?

Dec 16, 2018
Oh ok! Then most likely. Good luck!

Did the exam feel weird? Like you were lost in all the blocks and some really random questions?
Thank you. I am freaking out. Exam was hard. Every block had atleast 10-15 qns that wer weird. I was left wit 2 options and I had to pick randomly. I was able to manage wit the time. But the qns wer soo twisting and weird. I m soo scared coz every block I had these 10-15 weird qns which I don’t even know whether wat I picked was rite or wrong

Dec 18, 2018
Thank you. I am freaking out. Exam was hard. Every block had atleast 10-15 qns that wer weird. I was left wit 2 options and I had to pick randomly. I was able to manage wit the time. But the qns wer soo twisting and weird. I m soo scared coz every block I had these 10-15 weird qns which I don’t even know whether wat I picked was rite or wrong

Yea I had the same feeling. A lot of fluff and random things mentioned in the stem. And a lot had two answer choices that were almost the same. Let’s see how it goes. driving home from the testing center I didn’t even remember sitting through 8 blocks, it was like a huge blurr.

Apr 11, 2018
Status
Medical Student
hey all those who recently took it and waiting good luck! can u guys describe when u say the ques were vague on the exam, would it be similar to uwsa?? i found the UWSA pretty vague as well. How similar are the ques style to the practice questions?
thanks

Dec 16, 2018
Yea I had the same feeling. A lot of fluff and random things mentioned in the stem. And a lot had two answer choices that were almost the same. Let’s see how it goes. driving home from the testing center I didn’t even remember sitting through 8 blocks, it was like a huge blurr.
Ya I agree. Anyways Good luck with the results.

Dec 16, 2018
hey all those who recently took it and waiting good luck! can u guys describe when u say the ques were vague on the exam, would it be similar to uwsa?? i found the UWSA pretty vague as well. How similar are the ques style to the practice questions?
thanks
I felt the question style was more like UWSA 2 nbme 7&8

Dec 16, 2018
Try the step 3 trick on fsmb website. No need to sign up for the test. Go to the FCVS part and put your information in. Under the exam history it will show the result
FCVS part s also asking for creating account. Anyways oly couple of hrs left for the results to come nothing makes a difference

Dec 14, 2018
Thanks. Just google "Emma Holiday PDFs" and they should come up. She was a MS-4 I believe who made her own slideshow presentations for her clerkship rotations and then presented them at live lectures. They have some great material in there with many buzzwords that you should absolutely memorize.

FA for CK wasn't the best book, so I just tried reading the sections as I reviewed my UW incorrects and annotated.

thanks a ton! wish you all the luck...

Reactions: blueforest
Apr 25, 2018
It was a **** show. I walked out feeling horrible. step 1 felt more straight forward than this exam.
I did 3 NBMEs and they all ranged from 209-218. The last one being NBME 8 as 215. NBME made me panic so I pushed mine back a month. Did questions and did more readings for the next month, but I also feel like pushing it back caused me to start forgetting info.
By the time I sat for the exam, I didn’t know if I was prepared or just tired of studying. I probably flagged half of the questions during the first block and barely had time to go back and review. I just tried to trust my gut. As the blocks went on, I didn’t feel as bad as I did for the first block.
The bio stats was hard, I guessed for half.
I looked up some questions that I remembered after the exam, and I was shocked that I got some answers right that I totally guessed on. So I’m trying to remain positive. It’s been a grueling last couple of months between interviews, away rotations, and studying.

Edit: I’m also trying to resist from doing the step 3 trick, because if I’m not supposed to get my score this week then it’ll appear as if I didn’t pass.
That will drive me into insanity
My experience is quoted above
NBME’s 6: 198
Nbme 7: 211
Nbme 8: 213 (5 days before my schedule date)
*panicked and pushed it back a month* I knew pushing it back was not goin to help my score, especially since I was restarting rotations at that time but it helped my anxiety. The extra month was not high yield at all.
Real deal: 234
Step 1: 226

Reactions: PugsAndHugs
Dec 16, 2018
I don’t have much to share abt my experience I already quoted my scores in my assessments.
UWSA1 - 237
UWSA2 - 222
Nbme 8 - 238
Nbme 7 - 218
And my real exam score wer similar to nbme 7 - 216

Reactions: Medshot
Mar 18, 2018
Everyone on SDN seems to have amazing scores - I just wanted to throw my experience and numbers in so that other "below average" folks like me don't get too disheartened. I was in the bottom quartile M1/M2 years and got a 220 on step 1. Then did horribly on shelf exams M3 year (10-15th percentile nationally) despite trying multiple study methods and using the same resources as everyone else in the class, so I knew failing step 2 was a real possibility.

I only had about 8 weeks to take both step 2 CK and CS and interview (went on 7 total during this time). I tried to review FA and step-up to medicine but quickly realized I wasn't retaining anything. I decided to reset UWorld and stick with 40 question sets as my sole studying approach. It was much more practical while traveling too. My % correct ranged from 40s-70s but overall averaged 60% after finishing ~80% of the question bank. I took NBME 8 the week before the exam and freaked out when I got a 185 (!)

Test day was tough. 1st block I didn't even reach the last three questions, 2nd block I guessed on the last two but didn't get to read them, but after that I finished each block with about a minute or two to spare. It was frustrating because just like the UWorld sets and prior shelf exams, the breakdown felt like 30% "easy" (I know I got right), 10% "ridiculous" (hell if I know), 10% "hard" (detailed but totally my fault for not studying it), and 50% "reasonable" (I can narrow it down to two answers but I'm not entirely sure which is correct). Thought I failed but managed a 232. I know it's still below the national average, but for me it's a win. Good luck to everyone!

Medshot

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Everyone on SDN seems to have amazing scores - I just wanted to throw my experience and numbers in so that other "below average" folks like me don't get too disheartened. I was in the bottom quartile M1/M2 years and got a 220 on step 1. Then did horribly on shelf exams M3 year (10-15th percentile nationally) despite trying multiple study methods and using the same resources as everyone else in the class, so I knew failing step 2 was a real possibility.

I only had about 8 weeks to take both step 2 CK and CS and interview (went on 7 total during this time). I tried to review FA and step-up to medicine but quickly realized I wasn't retaining anything. I decided to reset UWorld and stick with 40 question sets as my sole studying approach. It was much more practical while traveling too. My % correct ranged from 40s-70s but overall averaged 60% after finishing ~80% of the question bank. I took NBME 8 the week before the exam and freaked out when I got a 185 (!)

Test day was tough. 1st block I didn't even reach the last three questions, 2nd block I guessed on the last two but didn't get to read them, but after that I finished each block with about a minute or two to spare. It was frustrating because just like the UWorld sets and prior shelf exams, the breakdown felt like 30% "easy" (I know I got right), 10% "ridiculous" (hell if I know), 10% "hard" (detailed but totally my fault for not studying it), and 50% "reasonable" (I can narrow it down to two answers but I'm not entirely sure which is correct). Thought I failed but managed a 232. I know it's still below the national average, but for me it's a win. Good luck to everyone!
You have no idea how this just brightened things up in my head, thanks alot for this.

Apr 11, 2018
Status
Medical Student
I don’t have much to share abt my experience I already quoted my scores in my assessments.
UWSA1 - 237
UWSA2 - 222
Nbme 8 - 238
Nbme 7 - 218
And my real exam score wer similar to nbme 7 - 216
in what order did u take the assessments? and how many days before the exam?

You passed so congrats, been hearing people are scoring much much lower then assessments, which is scary but just hang in there. All the best to everyone who just took it or got their exam results.

Reactions: riley2021
Got my score today.

US IMG (Caribbean school - SGU)
Date of exam: 11/29/2018
UWorld QBank 1st pass: 70%
UWorld SIM1: 252 (4 weeks before the exam)
UWorld SIM2: 249 (1 week before the exam)
Real deal: 248

Step 1 Score: 248 (same score as CK)

Did not do any NBMEs. During my third year I mostly used MTB (for FM, IM & Surgery) and FA (Peds, OB & Psych) for shelf exams. I did UWorld only once, but went over tables and algorithms many times. Honestly, UWorld is more than enough for CK, but those tables and algorithms are crucial, especially for those nerve wrecking “What is the next best step” questions.

Flash Forward

5+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Got my score as well. Freaking disappointing

US-IMG
USWA 1 (3 weeks out) = 248
NBME 8 (4 days out) = 226
USWA 2 (2 days out) = 250
Real Deal = 231

Got almost 20 points lower on the real deal. I don't even know what to do with this score anymore. :(

Oct 23, 2018
Hi, colleagues! I took exam this Tuesday (18.12.18). How do u think, when should I expect my score assuming Christmas and New Year Holidays? after 3/4/5 weeks?

Dec 16, 2018
in what order did u take the assessments? and how many days before the exam?

You passed so congrats, been hearing people are scoring much much lower then assessments, which is scary but just hang in there. All the best to everyone who just took it or got their exam results.
Nbme 8 - 238 ( 1 and half mth bfr exam )
UWSA 1 - 237 ( 3 weeks bfr )
NBME 7 - 218 ( 2 weeks bfr)
UWSA 2 - 222 ( 1 week bfr)

Dec 19, 2018
Hey! Long time lurker. Took the exam yesterday and here are thoughts I had about it.

It is a very long exam, long question stems. I was running out of time on almost every block. Like 3 minutes left for 4-5 questions at the end. I don’t regret that because whenever I go back and review my marked, I end up changing to the wrong answer.

My issue is, I didn’t walk out feeling absolutely defeated. I felt very tired, but I thought the overwhelming majority of the questions were pretty fair, even if you only used Uworld. I remember about 20 questions I straight up got wrong and about 20 questions I’m unsure of. But this feeling of “feeling secure” makes me panic because I always see the people who post “omg it was the most difficult exam of my life” score 260s lol

Anyone feel okay after the exam and did well?

APA 32

2+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Hey! Long time lurker. Took the exam yesterday and here are thoughts I had about it.

It is a very long exam, long question stems. I was running out of time on almost every block. Like 3 minutes left for 4-5 questions at the end. I don’t regret that because whenever I go back and review my marked, I end up changing to the wrong answer.

My issue is, I didn’t walk out feeling absolutely defeated. I felt very tired, but I thought the overwhelming majority of the questions were pretty fair, even if you only used Uworld. I remember about 20 questions I straight up got wrong and about 20 questions I’m unsure of. But this feeling of “feeling secure” makes me panic because I always see the people who post “omg it was the most difficult exam of my life” score 260s lol

Anyone feel okay after the exam and did well?

Walked out not feeling defeated got 258. I remember feeling like this either went really well or I failed horribly lol.

Last edited:

LloydChristmas90

2+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hey my dudes. I took CK on Dec 14th. UWSA 1 and 2 were both 241 taken two weeks out and 1 week out, respectively. I came out of that exam feeling like I may have failed it. It seemed super vague and I was absolutely drained. Any words of encouragement so that I can try to enjoy the holiday season?

Desmin

2+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2017
Hey my dudes. I took CK on Dec 14th. UWSA 1 and 2 were both 241 taken two weeks out and 1 week out, respectively. I came out of that exam feeling like I may have failed it. It seemed super vague and I was absolutely drained. Any words of encouragement so that I can try to enjoy the holiday season?
From everyone who has given Step 2 CK, I have heard that this exam is more about making educated guesses and you are never so sure about the answer. Despite that UWSAs seem to predict pretty fairly. Hence, don’t worry much and just enjoy the holidays.

Aug 31, 2018
Status
Medical Student
I took step 2 over two weeks ago meaning I should be getting my score this Wednesday. I’m driving myself insane thinking if I failed or not. I got a 228 and a 226 on UWSA 1 and 2 respectively and 215 on NBME 8. On the test I had a panic attack through out the first 3 blocks and didn’t get to answer 30 Questions. Please someone tell me there’s a chance I passed
Hey dude I feel you. How'd you do? I'm taking mine in a few days and honestly just praying at this point.

Reactions: LloydChristmas90
Aug 31, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Failed step 2 CK with 203 (6 months ago). Retook it and just got my score yesterday.

UWSA 2 = 213 (2 weeks before exam)
Free 120 = 99/120 (%82.5) (3 days before exam)

Step 2 CK = 222.
Hey man congrats! I feel you and just praying at this point. A while ago I got a 20* on my UWSA2 3 days before my exam, freaked out and cancelled. Between then and now been doing away rotations and felt really exhausted of studying ... My test day is now less than a week away and I feel like nothing but prayers will save me now. I really hope I just pass. Your experience has been reassuring, thank you.

Last edited: