USMLE Official 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As 2018 approaches and people are starting to rev up for their CK studying I figured I would start the 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread.

As always please follow all of the forum / NBME / USMLE etc.. rules and regulations when posting.

My dedicated starts tomorrow, have about 6 weeks to study over the holidays. Hoping for a 250 +, scored a 26x on step 1.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone expecting results tomorrow? I've been reading the forums about all these "tricks".

My permit has disappeared and if i try to fill out the application it says "Our records indicate that you are already registered for this Step or Step Component. You may not apply for a Step or Step Component if you are already registered for that Step or Step Component."

I also tried the step 3 sign up trick and that says I'm not eligible to start the application for that yet. I know some people had that trick work the day before and night before results, but there were a few that were'nt able to sign up for step 3 despite having step 1 and CS done and still passed.

Anyone have any experiences like this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh ok! Then most likely. Good luck!

Did the exam feel weird? Like you were lost in all the blocks and some really random questions?
Thank you. I am freaking out. Exam was hard. Every block had atleast 10-15 qns that wer weird. I was left wit 2 options and I had to pick randomly. I was able to manage wit the time. But the qns wer soo twisting and weird. I m soo scared coz every block I had these 10-15 weird qns which I don’t even know whether wat I picked was rite or wrong

Thank you. I am freaking out. Exam was hard. Every block had atleast 10-15 qns that wer weird. I was left wit 2 options and I had to pick randomly. I was able to manage wit the time. But the qns wer soo twisting and weird. I m soo scared coz every block I had these 10-15 weird qns which I don’t even know whether wat I picked was rite or wrong

Yea I had the same feeling. A lot of fluff and random things mentioned in the stem. And a lot had two answer choices that were almost the same. Let’s see how it goes. driving home from the testing center I didn’t even remember sitting through 8 blocks, it was like a huge blurr.

hey all those who recently took it and waiting good luck! can u guys describe when u say the ques were vague on the exam, would it be similar to uwsa?? i found the UWSA pretty vague as well. How similar are the ques style to the practice questions?
thanks

Yea I had the same feeling. A lot of fluff and random things mentioned in the stem. And a lot had two answer choices that were almost the same. Let’s see how it goes. driving home from the testing center I didn’t even remember sitting through 8 blocks, it was like a huge blurr.
Ya I agree. Anyways Good luck with the results.

hey all those who recently took it and waiting good luck! can u guys describe when u say the ques were vague on the exam, would it be similar to uwsa?? i found the UWSA pretty vague as well. How similar are the ques style to the practice questions?
thanks
I felt the question style was more like UWSA 2 nbme 7&8

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Just google "Emma Holiday PDFs" and they should come up. She was a MS-4 I believe who made her own slideshow presentations for her clerkship rotations and then presented them at live lectures. They have some great material in there with many buzzwords that you should absolutely memorize.

FA for CK wasn't the best book, so I just tried reading the sections as I reviewed my UW incorrects and annotated.

thanks a ton! wish you all the luck...

Reactions: 1 user
It was a **** show. I walked out feeling horrible. step 1 felt more straight forward than this exam.
I did 3 NBMEs and they all ranged from 209-218. The last one being NBME 8 as 215. NBME made me panic so I pushed mine back a month. Did questions and did more readings for the next month, but I also feel like pushing it back caused me to start forgetting info.
By the time I sat for the exam, I didn’t know if I was prepared or just tired of studying. I probably flagged half of the questions during the first block and barely had time to go back and review. I just tried to trust my gut. As the blocks went on, I didn’t feel as bad as I did for the first block.
The bio stats was hard, I guessed for half.
I looked up some questions that I remembered after the exam, and I was shocked that I got some answers right that I totally guessed on. So I’m trying to remain positive. It’s been a grueling last couple of months between interviews, away rotations, and studying.

Edit: I’m also trying to resist from doing the step 3 trick, because if I’m not supposed to get my score this week then it’ll appear as if I didn’t pass.
That will drive me into insanity

My experience is quoted above
NBME’s 6: 198
Nbme 7: 211
Nbme 8: 213 (5 days before my schedule date)
*panicked and pushed it back a month* I knew pushing it back was not goin to help my score, especially since I was restarting rotations at that time but it helped my anxiety. The extra month was not high yield at all.
Real deal: 234
Step 1: 226

I don’t have much to share abt my experience I already quoted my scores in my assessments.
UWSA1 - 237
UWSA2 - 222
Nbme 8 - 238
Nbme 7 - 218
And my real exam score wer similar to nbme 7 - 216

Everyone on SDN seems to have amazing scores - I just wanted to throw my experience and numbers in so that other "below average" folks like me don't get too disheartened. I was in the bottom quartile M1/M2 years and got a 220 on step 1. Then did horribly on shelf exams M3 year (10-15th percentile nationally) despite trying multiple study methods and using the same resources as everyone else in the class, so I knew failing step 2 was a real possibility.

I only had about 8 weeks to take both step 2 CK and CS and interview (went on 7 total during this time). I tried to review FA and step-up to medicine but quickly realized I wasn't retaining anything. I decided to reset UWorld and stick with 40 question sets as my sole studying approach. It was much more practical while traveling too. My % correct ranged from 40s-70s but overall averaged 60% after finishing ~80% of the question bank. I took NBME 8 the week before the exam and freaked out when I got a 185 (!)

Test day was tough. 1st block I didn't even reach the last three questions, 2nd block I guessed on the last two but didn't get to read them, but after that I finished each block with about a minute or two to spare. It was frustrating because just like the UWorld sets and prior shelf exams, the breakdown felt like 30% "easy" (I know I got right), 10% "ridiculous" (hell if I know), 10% "hard" (detailed but totally my fault for not studying it), and 50% "reasonable" (I can narrow it down to two answers but I'm not entirely sure which is correct). Thought I failed but managed a 232. I know it's still below the national average, but for me it's a win. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
Everyone on SDN seems to have amazing scores - I just wanted to throw my experience and numbers in so that other "below average" folks like me don't get too disheartened. I was in the bottom quartile M1/M2 years and got a 220 on step 1. Then did horribly on shelf exams M3 year (10-15th percentile nationally) despite trying multiple study methods and using the same resources as everyone else in the class, so I knew failing step 2 was a real possibility.

I only had about 8 weeks to take both step 2 CK and CS and interview (went on 7 total during this time). I tried to review FA and step-up to medicine but quickly realized I wasn't retaining anything. I decided to reset UWorld and stick with 40 question sets as my sole studying approach. It was much more practical while traveling too. My % correct ranged from 40s-70s but overall averaged 60% after finishing ~80% of the question bank. I took NBME 8 the week before the exam and freaked out when I got a 185 (!)

Test day was tough. 1st block I didn't even reach the last three questions, 2nd block I guessed on the last two but didn't get to read them, but after that I finished each block with about a minute or two to spare. It was frustrating because just like the UWorld sets and prior shelf exams, the breakdown felt like 30% "easy" (I know I got right), 10% "ridiculous" (hell if I know), 10% "hard" (detailed but totally my fault for not studying it), and 50% "reasonable" (I can narrow it down to two answers but I'm not entirely sure which is correct). Thought I failed but managed a 232. I know it's still below the national average, but for me it's a win. Good luck to everyone!
You have no idea how this just brightened things up in my head, thanks alot for this.

I don’t have much to share abt my experience I already quoted my scores in my assessments.
UWSA1 - 237
UWSA2 - 222
Nbme 8 - 238
Nbme 7 - 218
And my real exam score wer similar to nbme 7 - 216

in what order did u take the assessments? and how many days before the exam?

You passed so congrats, been hearing people are scoring much much lower then assessments, which is scary but just hang in there. All the best to everyone who just took it or got their exam results.

Got my score today.

US IMG (Caribbean school - SGU)
Date of exam: 11/29/2018
UWorld QBank 1st pass: 70%
UWorld SIM1: 252 (4 weeks before the exam)
UWorld SIM2: 249 (1 week before the exam)
Real deal: 248

Step 1 Score: 248 (same score as CK)

Did not do any NBMEs. During my third year I mostly used MTB (for FM, IM & Surgery) and FA (Peds, OB & Psych) for shelf exams. I did UWorld only once, but went over tables and algorithms many times. Honestly, UWorld is more than enough for CK, but those tables and algorithms are crucial, especially for those nerve wrecking “What is the next best step” questions.

Got my score as well. Freaking disappointing

US-IMG
USWA 1 (3 weeks out) = 248
NBME 8 (4 days out) = 226
USWA 2 (2 days out) = 250
Real Deal = 231

Got almost 20 points lower on the real deal. I don't even know what to do with this score anymore. :(

Hi, colleagues! I took exam this Tuesday (18.12.18). How do u think, when should I expect my score assuming Christmas and New Year Holidays? after 3/4/5 weeks?

in what order did u take the assessments? and how many days before the exam?

You passed so congrats, been hearing people are scoring much much lower then assessments, which is scary but just hang in there. All the best to everyone who just took it or got their exam results.
Nbme 8 - 238 ( 1 and half mth bfr exam )
UWSA 1 - 237 ( 3 weeks bfr )
NBME 7 - 218 ( 2 weeks bfr)
UWSA 2 - 222 ( 1 week bfr)

Took CK the week of 12/10: do ya think results will come on 1/2 or 1/9? Because 1/2 is the day after New Years and I’m not sure whether scores are released that week.

Hey! Long time lurker. Took the exam yesterday and here are thoughts I had about it.

It is a very long exam, long question stems. I was running out of time on almost every block. Like 3 minutes left for 4-5 questions at the end. I don’t regret that because whenever I go back and review my marked, I end up changing to the wrong answer.

My issue is, I didn’t walk out feeling absolutely defeated. I felt very tired, but I thought the overwhelming majority of the questions were pretty fair, even if you only used Uworld. I remember about 20 questions I straight up got wrong and about 20 questions I’m unsure of. But this feeling of “feeling secure” makes me panic because I always see the people who post “omg it was the most difficult exam of my life” score 260s lol

Anyone feel okay after the exam and did well?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey! Long time lurker. Took the exam yesterday and here are thoughts I had about it.

It is a very long exam, long question stems. I was running out of time on almost every block. Like 3 minutes left for 4-5 questions at the end. I don’t regret that because whenever I go back and review my marked, I end up changing to the wrong answer.

My issue is, I didn’t walk out feeling absolutely defeated. I felt very tired, but I thought the overwhelming majority of the questions were pretty fair, even if you only used Uworld. I remember about 20 questions I straight up got wrong and about 20 questions I’m unsure of. But this feeling of “feeling secure” makes me panic because I always see the people who post “omg it was the most difficult exam of my life” score 260s lol

Anyone feel okay after the exam and did well?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Walked out not feeling defeated got 258. I remember feeling like this either went really well or I failed horribly lol.

Last edited:
Hey my dudes. I took CK on Dec 14th. UWSA 1 and 2 were both 241 taken two weeks out and 1 week out, respectively. I came out of that exam feeling like I may have failed it. It seemed super vague and I was absolutely drained. Any words of encouragement so that I can try to enjoy the holiday season?

Hey my dudes. I took CK on Dec 14th. UWSA 1 and 2 were both 241 taken two weeks out and 1 week out, respectively. I came out of that exam feeling like I may have failed it. It seemed super vague and I was absolutely drained. Any words of encouragement so that I can try to enjoy the holiday season?
From everyone who has given Step 2 CK, I have heard that this exam is more about making educated guesses and you are never so sure about the answer. Despite that UWSAs seem to predict pretty fairly. Hence, don’t worry much and just enjoy the holidays.

Hey man congrats! I feel you and just praying at this point. A while ago I got a 208 on my UWSA2 3 days before my exam, freaked out and cancelled. Between then and now been doing away rotations and felt really exhausted of studying ... My test day is now less than a week away and I feel like nothing but prayers will save me now. I really hope I just pass. Your experience has been reassuring, thank you.

Good luck on your exam just remember you’re taking a huge risk if you got 208 on UWSA2...
I don’t mean to demotivate you but I was in your shoes and the exam raped me. I ended up failing. I hope you improved since then

Hey girl congrats! I'm in your boat..exam less than a week away and just praying I pass. My assessments have not been great, barely passes. Can't afford any time to push it back at this point and more time will not really motivate me to study anymore. So your experience is really reassuring, thank you.
You are welcome. Just give it your best effort. I m sure you ll do greater than your assessments. Rooting for you

whens the very last day that i can take ck for this years match if i already have had an interview to be ranked?

did u find out ? i am in the same boat

I called the NRMP. They advised taking it before the end of the year. They don’t know how long your scores take to come out though or for you to be certified as long as everything is ready by the 20th of Feb. Hope that helps