Official 2019-2020 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Regarding the t32 is that still an option which the J1-IMG can't take or has law changed
Only Citizens and Green Card holders

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am assuming you are referring to Pueblo, CO ?? If so, yes I do. Please tell me what you want to know.
Thanks for responding! Was wondering if anyone heard of interview invites this season already. Also, if they are pre-matching this year or not.

Thanks for responding! Was wondering if anyone heard of interview invites this season already. Also, if they are pre-matching this year or not.

oh I can’t say anything about that. But if you needed an inside about the program if you had the interview I would gladly help.

Thoughts on UTMB vs Univ of Missouri Columbia anyone?

Could anyone compare the New Orleans programs?
I can really only speak on Tulane which seems like a fantastic program under recently new program leadership. Fellows say they get plenty of procedures with a reasonable call schedule. However, faculty is limited and they are working on recruiting experts in different fields.

Last edited:
Could anyone compare the New Orleans programs?
2 fellows/yr with plenty of procedures
primarily clinical program although some go into academics after
great liver training especially given the # of transplants
friendly attendings
lots of faculty subspecialize (eg, IBD, advanced, xplant hep, etc)
PD (Dr. Ray) was very nice

friendly attendings

Agree super nice faculty in liver!

friendly attendings
Which program is this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thoughts on UTMB vs Univ of Missouri Columbia anyone?

UTMB: They barely let you touch the scope during your first year. Fellows didn’t seem happy.

Has a master in basic science very convenient for folks going into academic.

I don't believe USC+LAC has interviewed yet this season though anyone with knowledge about the program's strengths/weaknesses? It doesn't appear that the recent probation will be a factor in training there.

GC holders can apply for T32 or NIH sponsored tracks.. I ve interviewed for several such programs..

GC holders can apply for T32 or NIH sponsored tracks.. I ve interviewed for several such programs..

Thank you for the update on this. It was unclear since some people are getting T32 , NIH sponsored track on J-1. I believe the lawyer or administration of the programs and residents should know that they can not partake in these tracks.
I also doubled checked with ECFMG and USCIS-DoS and they said J-1 can not partake in these tracks since they will not be granting visa and if visa is issued since the resident is in USA and is continuing they should know they will not get grant approval or funding via the NIH or t32 track.
they also mentioned if they do take these position they will put them selves in risk of deportation as per the guidelines.

so the listen here is that if your a J-1 applicant and offered a research track t32 and NIH funded you should respectfully decline since there is no way you would be getting any funding. This rule however does not apply if the program is paying your grants and understands that you will not be getting any grants.

Disclaimer : I am not a lawyer and you should seek additional consult from an immigration lawyer if you have further questions.

Last edited:
Anyone comment on the smaller NY programs? Presbyterian Queens, presby Brooklyn and nyu Winthrop?

In that same breath can anyone also comment on NY/NJ programs in general? Pros/cons? I like more clinical but do want to get the full scope of training and see as much as possible while in training. Specifically please comment on Sinai, Cornell, LIJ, NJMS, RWJ, MSBISLW, and MSKCC

In that same breath can anyone also comment on NY/NJ programs in general? Pros/cons? I like more clinical but do want to get the full scope of training and see as much as possible while in training. Specifically please comment on Sinai, Cornell, LIJ, NJMS, RWJ, MSBISLW, and MSKCC

NJMS - Lots of cases and pathology, option to do the pilot (combined gastroenterology and transplant hepatology). Motility and IBD clinic. Liver clinic both general and inpatient transplant. Lots of advance and advance fellowship.

RWJ - same as NJMS but with less motility and no liver.

Sinai - is good and you get everything as NJMS

Cornell - is top notch with research and everything as NJMS

Sloan - is an excellent program with addition of seeing rare cases and being in forefront of treatment of digestive system related cancer.

the others ones are the same.

Guys, want an opinion:
Img Green card
I graduated on 2019,
From very famous community program with excellent training opportunity.
Scores: 264, 259, cs pass 1st attempt, step 249
Currently doing PGy-4 chief resident in a university program
I have around 10 posters on ACG, ACP and others.
2 ongoing meta analysis.
2 inpatient analysis.
Planning to apply next year, but hesitant seeing people with my publication list hardly getting calls.
Do you think I have a good or mediocre chance even if I apply very broadly ? Please give me honest opinion.

I give you an answer on the other post you posted.
But to summarize again you have a decent chance if you apply broadly and have research that are in GI, Hep , pancreatic diseases and motility.
Your best chance is the GI fellowship program at your institution or the place you doing the chief year. Make sure all your chairs and GI writing your letter of recommendation are part of the fellowship(s) program.

Desperate plea for anyone who is interviewing at Northwell 10/24 or another later date who can switch into 10/16! Please message me if you can help out. Would be truly forever grateful!!

Guys, want an opinion:
Img Green card
I graduated on 2019,
From very famous community program with excellent training opportunity.
Scores: 264, 259, cs pass 1st attempt, step 249
Currently doing PGy-4 chief resident in a university program
I have around 10 posters on ACG, ACP and others.
2 ongoing meta analysis.
2 inpatient analysis.
Planning to apply next year, but hesitant seeing people with my publication list hardly getting calls.
Do you think I have a good or mediocre chance even if I apply very broadly ? Please give me honest opinion.

Keep doing research... You should get between 12-30 interviews depending upon many factors...Apply next year...absolutely don't delay... work as a GI hospitalist or a nutrition/motility/liver fellow immediately upon completion of chief year...

I realize there are a lot of variables at play but it seems that most places interview between 6-10 people per slot they have. Is there a general sense of how far programs go down their list to fill?

I realize there are a lot of variables at play but it seems that most places interview between 6-10 people per slot they have. Is there a general sense of how far programs go down their list to fill?

for residency NRMP publishes such data... Is the data available in any NRMP report ?

What's the status of H1 visa applicants? Whats the max interviews one has got on H1?
Not sure if this has been discussed but it is has become almost impossible to get a GI fellowship on H1 unless you have an in-house fellowship. Increasingly more and more programs have adopted the policy to not sponsor H1 visa.

What's the status of H1 visa applicants? Whats the max interviews one has got on H1?
Not sure if this has been discussed but it is has become almost impossible to get a GI fellowship on H1 unless you have an in-house fellowship. Increasingly more and more programs have adopted the policy to not sponsor H1 visa.

My co-resident has 10... A well know university program known to take the best IMGs...And she is a stellar applicant even by our standards...10 manuscripts in AJG/GIE/Gastro level journals + multiple orals...if she had a gc she would have been drowning in ivs

My co-resident has 10... A well know university program known to take the best IMGs...And she is a stellar applicant even by our standards...10 manuscripts in AJG/GIE/Gastro level journals + multiple orals...if she had a gc she would have been drowning in ivs

Two comments here:
There is huge difference being on h1 vs j1. Many (if not most) programs filter out (won't look at the application) if your current status is H1. So it doesn't even matter how stellar your credentials are. In contrast, several programs support a j1.

There are only a handful (around 10-15) who would really sponsor a h1 including Mayo clinic and Cleveland clinic. Someone with those credentials (10 manuscripts in AJG/GIE/Gastro level journals + multiple orals..) is already a physician investigator in my mind and should match at Mayo. This is by far an exception and not the norm.

Any H1 candidates here? Correct me if I am wrong.

Any opinion on University of Nebraska Medical Center?
UNMC is one of those programs that would sponsor h1. Strong hepatology from what I've heard, perhaps the first liver transplant program in the US.

UNMC is one of those programs that would sponsor h1. Strong hepatology from what I've heard, perhaps the first liver transplant program in the US.

Based on their websites Pittsburgh's (which I think is the oldest) was founded almost 5 years before Nebraska's.

Two comments here:
There is huge difference being on h1 vs j1. Many (if not most) programs filter out (won't look at the application) if your current status is H1. So it doesn't even matter how stellar your credentials are. In contrast, several programs support a j1.

There are only a handful (around 10-15) who would really sponsor a h1 including Mayo clinic and Cleveland clinic. Someone with those credentials (10 manuscripts in AJG/GIE/Gastro level journals + multiple orals..) is already a physician investigator in my mind and should match at Mayo. This is by far an exception and not the norm.

Any H1 candidates here? Correct me if I am wrong.

She is on H1.. I am an img as well so I know the difference... J1 i know people getting 15ish with stellar profiles..(1-2 good publications , 260s and Mid tier university or well know tertiary/quaternary hospital based community programs.. I even know someone from a small community program with great cv to have done very well.. He is on H4 EAD... imgs have it wayy harder than AMGs...the imgs who are doing well are without doubt the future leaders/gods of GI... They ll be future prateek sharma , thosani , ezra burstein , Raju ,khashab ,pasricha ,bannerjee etc.... I am sure those greats that we revere in DDW had gone through the same phase some of these visa requiring imgs are going through right now....I feel lucky to have met so many future leaders in the field ...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
I think someone asked this already but I couldn’t find the answer (..sorry) : how far down the ranking list goes ? I’m sure places like Mayo 5-7, but other universities? Also I noticed that some programs interviewed 20 for 4 spots while others 40 for the same number of positions...
Any light on this?
thank you all

I think someone asked this already but I couldn’t find the answer (..sorry) : how far down the ranking list goes ? I’m sure places like Mayo 5-7, but other universities? Also I noticed that some programs interviewed 20 for 4 spots while others 40 for the same number of positions...
Any light on this?
thank you all
While I doubt anyone will confidently be able to answer this (last I checked, GI program directors weren't posting on our thread), it's probably what you pointed out--it's reflected by the number they interview.

If a place has a very small amount of interviewees (1 day with only 10 people, etc) they are very confidant they will fill all of their spots with that number of people. Whereas a program that interviews a LOT of applicants probably knows that they will fall further down their rank list. And for them it's purely an efficiency thing--why would they want to waste time interviewing extra people when they don't need to.

For what it's worth, the programs I interviewed at interviewed about 6-8 interviewees per spot total during the interview season (doing this math was part of my post-match process). Not sure how that stands in relation to what other people's experiences was though.

I personally know our program's ROL went down to 18 for 5 spots and PD wasn't happy person at all on match day. All I heard was some ppl they were eyeing matched elsewhere

I personally know our program's ROL went down to 18 for 5 spots and PD wasn't happy person at all on match day. All I heard was some ppl they were eyeing matched elsewhere

That’s actually not bad at all... they probably interviewed 40-50 people

some places have large number of interviewees because they cal

A lot of the times programs try to predict the match and rank people they think will rank them high over more competitive candidates just to fill higher...i know some top-5 /top 10 programs that have filled lower than that...because they interviewed the best and ranked the best ...

some places have large number of interviewees because they cal

A lot of the times programs try to predict the match and rank people they think will rank them high over more competitive candidates just to fill higher...i know some top-5 /top 10 programs that have filled lower than that...because they interviewed the best and ranked the best ...
What would be the incentive of the program to actually do this? It seems silly. No one finds out where on the rank list a program falls to.

What would be the incentive of the program to actually do this? It seems silly. No one finds out where on the rank list a program falls to.

general human tendency...and its rumored that programs get "dinged" by management if they fill lower...in reality nothing would happen if the program filled lower...but many PDs are superstitious unfortunately...that I know as a fact...

In an ideal world candidates and programs would rank solely on the basis of preference and not on the basis of the perceived likelihood of the candidate wanting to come in...

general human tendency...and its rumored that programs get "dinged" by management if they fill lower...in reality nothing would happen if the program filled lower...but many PDs are superstitious unfortunately...that I know as a fact...

In an ideal world candidates and programs would rank solely on the basis of preference and not on the basis of the perceived likelihood of the candidate wanting to come in...
I heard that too unfortunately...

Hi everyone! Any input on KU? Do they not like females? Only one of their 12 fellows is a girl and seems like this has been a trend.

I just saw this post. I agree with you. KU does not like to take females. KU own residency program female candidates go out for fellowship. One of my good female friends had 4 peer-reviewed publications with 10 oral presentations, but he did not take her. CLearly, he shows discrimination towards girls. You can look at the IM graduates list from KU. Most girls go out for fellowship. This is a trend for this program.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Is now the right time to be sending "#1 program type emails" if we have completed interviews? Also, I couldn't find anything specifically, but is there an established format or wording that we should be using in this communication?

I just saw this post. I agree with you. KU does not like to take females. KU own residency program female candidates go out for fellowship. One of my good female friends had 4 peer-reviewed publications with 10 oral presentations, but he did not take her. CLearly, he shows discrimination towards girls. You can look at the IM graduates list from KU. Most girls go out for fellowship. This is a trend for this program.

This is quite the accusation. "KU does not like to take females" and "he shows discrimination towards girls" seem like accusations worth reporting if you feel so strongly about it. After reviewing their faculty list it looks like just under 33% of their faculty are female (at least listed online). Well above the national average at ~12%. Also, one anecdote is hardly evidence to run with.

This is quite the accusation. "KU does not like to take females" and "he shows discrimination towards girls" seem like accusations worth reporting if you feel so strongly about it. After reviewing their faculty list it looks like just under 33% of their faculty are female (at least listed online). Well above the national average at ~12%. Also, one anecdote is hardly evidence to run with.

There is a difference between hiring faculty and recruitment of fellows. I know many friends at KU and know the program very well.

Is now the right time to be sending "#1 program type emails" if we have completed interviews? Also, I couldn't find anything specifically, but is there an established format or wording that we should be using in this communication?
Good question I was wondering the same thing

Hi, I think It was only an observation hehe

There is a difference between hiring faculty and recruitment of fellows. I know many friends at KU and know the program very well.

Look. many of us have resources all over the place, including KU. It's brash to accuse someone or an institution of discrimination based on sex without clear evidence of such. Many applicants all over the country could be missing out on an opportunity because a poster claims this. Also, I know for a fact they interview many female applicants, so how does this fit in with the discrimination theory? Just to look good? Honest question.