Official 2019-2020 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Look. many of us have resources all over the place, including KU. It's brash to accuse someone or an institution of discrimination based on sex without clear evidence of such. Many applicants all over the country could be missing out on an opportunity because a poster claims this. Also, I know for a fact they interview many female applicants, so how does this fit in with the discrimination theory? Just to look good?

Let's wait for the match result then.

Many big programs also invite IMG's for interviews to comply with the mission statement " we don't discriminate based on race, gender, etc, and we believe in diversity". After every 5-7 years, these programs take 1 IMG just to look good. Many qualified IMG's would not get any invitation by these programs despite strong CV, multiple publications and no visa issue.

Just check any AMG fellow profile from big program on PubMed or research gate. You will find nothing spectacular about their publication. Unfortunately, it is a bitter truth.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Many big programs also invite IMG's for interviews to comply with the mission statement " we don't discriminate based on race, gender, etc, and we believe in diversity". After every 5-7 years, these programs take 1 IMG just to look good. Many qualified IMG's would not get any invitation by these programs despite strong CV, multiple publications and no visa issue.

Just check any AMG fellow profile from big program on PubMed or research gate. You will find nothing spectacular about their publication. Unfortunately, it is a bitter truth.

I completely agree with you regarding the IMG issue. 100%. But I don't think you can equate that with discrimination based on sex. I also don't think the match results can be used to claim discrimination based on sex unless we can see something beyond number of applicants and number of matched applicants. the latest NRMP data report doesn't mention sex, which WOULD be very interesting to see.

Reactions: 1 users
This is quite the accusation. "KU does not like to take females" and "he shows discrimination towards girls" seem like accusations worth reporting if you feel so strongly about it. After reviewing their faculty list it looks like just under 33% of their faculty are female (at least listed online). Well above the national average at ~12%. Also, one anecdote is hardly evidence to run with.

Also one thing to consider is this: I know for a fact female residents who go out go because of lack of resources for their spouse having a job.
I could of matched to KU if I wanted.
Being a female doesn’t make a difference. In fact they rank females even higher, I know this from an inside source.
Females don’t rank KU high enough.

Members don't see this ad :)

Dude I don’t know what you are talking about. IMG with a post doc in Yale or Hopkins or research before being matched to residency and continuing on publishing doesn’t equal the IMG with same Training as AMG.

yes AMG profiles are sometimes weak and yes those IMGs that are strong become gods in GI.

The truth of the matter is this: programs have to rank internal applicants first. Then they choose really strong IMGs vs Very strong AMG then IMG be AMG.

some programs have 3 spots 2 goes to internal applicants one is for outside and that if the third spot is taken by internal applicant.

please stop this IMG vs AMG nonsense since IMGs who are strong will get matched and become leaders, innovators and gods in GI

• Love
I think someone asked this already but I couldn’t find the answer (..sorry) : how far down the ranking list goes ? I’m sure places like Mayo 5-7, but other universities? Also I noticed that some programs interviewed 20 for 4 spots while others 40 for the same number of positions...
Any light on this?
thank you all

programs I know go to number 8 to all the way to number 18 depending on number of spots.
Some applicants are just DNR after the interview due to red flags seen in the interview by lack of professionalism and lack of interpersonal skills.

Good question I was wondering the same thing

If they are your number one yes if not don’t burn bridges. You will one day Might apply for jobs and GI world is small. You will see everyone at some event or gathering at some point.

programs I know go to number 8 to all the way to number 18 depending on number of spots.
Some applicants are just DNR after the interview due to red flags seen in the interview by lack of professionalism and lack of interpersonal skills.

Out of curiosity , what are some of the examples you have seen that have led to people being DNR ? Can something not extreme or otherwise innocuous lead to people being DNR ?

Out of curiosity , what are some of the examples you have seen that have led to people being DNR ? Can something not extreme or otherwise innocuous lead to people being DNR ?

I have seen a candidate slams the door of the rooms of the interview.
Talk loud and in a very rude manner.
I have seen candidate speak their foreign language when clearly all other from the same country did not.

worst one I seen was that the applicant was so tired of interviewing that called everyone by first name and kissed everyone’s hands. So weird.

• Haha
Hi Guys,
Please help me rank:
UCLA, Scripps, UCI, Tufts, Dartmouth, Yale, UTSW, colorado, Lahey, Stony Brook

Thanks!

I have seen a candidate slams the door of the rooms of the interview.
Talk loud and in a very rude manner.
I have seen candidate speak their foreign language when clearly all other from the same country did not.

worst one I seen was that the applicant was so tired of interviewing that called everyone by first name and kissed everyone’s hands. So weird.
[/QUOTE
DNR That’s true! There was this guy who was so rude to the coordinator that still feel bad for her... I can tell you where he ain’t going for fellowship...

There is a difference between hiring faculty and recruitment of fellows. I know many friends at KU and know the program very well.
Well Dr.Sharma is head of VA. How many female GI faculty in VA? He prolly has no say in who KU medical center hires

Well Dr.Sharma is head of VA. How many female GI faculty in VA? He prolly has no say in who KU medical center hires

dr Sharma is a God in various advance procedures

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys,
Please help me rank:
UCLA, Scripps, UCI, Tufts, Dartmouth, Yale, UTSW, colorado, Lahey, Stony Brook

Thanks!

You have very different levels of training programs here. Broken down by category:

High
-UCLA
-UTSW
-Colorado

Middle
-UCI
-Tufts
-Dartmouth
-Yale

Lower
-Scripps
-Lahey
Stony Brook

I can speak towards the upper tier: UCLA > UTSW ≥ Colorado (each of these 2 are strong in different ways). I can't speak towards the others.

Last edited:
dr Sharma is a God in various advance procedures
He can be a god. Doesn't rule out any bias, if any. I dont know if the VA has any female faculty. The last known female GI fellow in KU graduated 3 years ago.

Thoughts on Indiana, Michigan, UChicago, Mayo Clinic (MN), Cleveland Clinic (OH), Wisconsin, Washu, MCW, Henry Ford? Goals are well rounded GI program.

Unpopular opinion: no such thing as “Gods” of GI or any specialty for that matter. They are regular people who are just passionate about research and advancing the field. They are just as important as the community gastroenterologist chipping away at those 18,000 screening colonoscopies that must be done yearly to keep the US net even. ‍:lame: They are not a deity.

Reactions: 7 users
s have resources all over the place, including KU. It's brash to accuse someone or an institution of d

Thoughts on Indiana, Michigan, UChicago, Mayo Clinic (MN), Cleveland Clinic (OH), Wisconsin, Washu, MCW, Henry Ford? Goals are well rounded GI program.

Ranking solely on clinical strength and having a well-rounded program:

Michigan ≥ Mayo > Indiana > UChicago > Cleveland Clinic >> Wisconsin, MCW, HF. Unfortunately don't know much about WashU so I didn't include it.

Unpopular opinion: no such thing as “Gods” of GI or any specialty for that matter. They are regular people who are just passionate about research and advancing the field. They are just as important as the community gastroenterologist chipping away at those 18,000 screening colonoscopies that must be done yearly to keep the US net even. ‍:lame: They are not a deity.

no GI has many gods. The community GI you refer to is you called DrGI JOE

Don’t take anything here offensively.
Every school has some one advancing one part of the field and every program is contributing by creating, teaching and enabling resident to become fellows who will one day be the most competent and compassionate Gastroenterologist for their future community they choose to practice in.

Preach!

Dude I don’t know what you are talking about. IMG with a post doc in Yale or Hopkins or research before being matched to residency and continuing on publishing doesn’t equal the IMG with same Training as AMG.

yes AMG profiles are sometimes weak and yes those IMGs that are strong become gods in GI.

The truth of the matter is this: programs have to rank internal applicants first. Then they choose really strong IMGs vs Very strong AMG then IMG be AMG.

some programs have 3 spots 2 goes to internal applicants one is for outside and that if the third spot is taken by internal applicant.

please stop this IMG vs AMG nonsense since IMGs who are strong will get matched and become leaders, innovators and gods in GI
The point is IMGs have to be really well qualified to get a spot. It’s not level playing field for IMGs who still have better scores and abstracts and posters than AMGs in some top institute. I know of several AMG applicants with not even one poster matching in big name program coz they did to x medical school or y residency program. It’s a tough battle for IMGs visa requiring or otherwise, no denying it

Reactions: 2 users
You have very different levels of training programs here. Broken down by category:

High
-UCLA
-UTSW
-Colorado

Middle
-UCI
-Tufts
-Dartmouth
-Yale

Lower
-Scripps
-Lahey
Stony Brook

I can speak towards the upper tier: UCLA > UTSW ≥ Colorado (each of these 2 are strong in different ways). I can't speak towards the others.

I think yale is top tier ... They have a solid solid liver faculty and pretty decent advance endoscopists.. tons of research ,both basic science and clinical...Weak motility ,but so do many other programs like UTSW...Scripps is upper-mid tier and comparable to most university based programs ..They actually have decent motility.. Tufts is an ok program...they have like 7-8 people in there faculty...Dartmouth have exceptional pancreatic disease exposure ...

UCI has a very interesting Artificial intelligence related research (Will Karnes , Jason Samarasena )

Last edited:
Please me rank:

Rutgers NJMS
BU
Tufts
Miami
Emory
UAB
USF
Mount Sinai Beth Israel
Rochester
MSK
Cornell
Northwell/LIJ
Georgetown

Goal: good well rounded training, prefer to be in Northeast. Interested in Gen GI, IBD, and Hep so would like some exposure during fellowship.

Thank you all!

Cornell ,Georgetown, bu , rutgers tufts in north east

Opinions about Florida programs, interested in academics pancreas, hepatology
Mayo jax, u Florida, USF , Ccf Florida, u miami

Please me rank:

Rutgers NJMS
BU
Tufts
Miami
Emory
UAB
USF
Mount Sinai Beth Israel
Rochester
MSK
Cornell
Northwell/LIJ
Georgetown

Goal: good well rounded training, prefer to be in Northeast. Interested in Gen GI, IBD, and Hep so would like some exposure during fellowship.

Thank you all!
I would say
Cornell - BU - MSK - U Miami -
USF -Rochesterr - Nortwell - Rutgers - UAB - Emory - Georgetown - (Mount Sinai if this is the main one would put before Rutgers)

Has anyone been able to get in touch with the University of Toledo? They haven't responded to emails and don't answer their phone calls.

They are basically equal but UF’slocation absolutely sucks. Tampa is the happiest city to live in Florida with 2 major sports teams, international airport, low cost of living and the added benefit of a strong GI program robust research and advance fellowships available.

Once Miami builds their advanced Endo program, UF will likely sink to #3 solely due to being located in Gainesville.

What makes USF better than UF?

UF>>>>>USF ... UF has some renowned celebs.... it is a top tier program that matches the likes of baylor ,colorado , utsw ,indiana etc..... USF is an okayish program in a very pretty and well equipped hospital in a superb location...

Reactions: 2 users
I would say
Cornell - BU - MSK - U Miami -
USF -Rochesterr - Nortwell - Rutgers - UAB - Emory - Georgetown - (Mount Sinai if this is the main one would put before Rutgers)
Why GT so low? I’m curious hehe

• Haha
  • Wow
Help me rank UMichigan, UW, UMiami, Rush, MUSC.
Thanks!

What about UF, USF, Vandy, Emory, UAB, UVA, UNC, Tulane, Ochsner, Louisville, and Cincinnati?

Just a reminder to people asking to "help me rank":

Please remember that you (having interviewed at these programs) know much more about them than the majority of people on this board. You are the one who went through the interview day, met the fellows and saw the program. People responding with rankings of these programs may not know them as intimately as you do, and could possibly be ranking them off of 2nd or 3rd hand information about the programs. Heck, you are not even sure if the people giving you ranking advice are even in the field of gastroenterology/hepatology. I am not saying they are worthless or its not right for a poster to respond to a question about ranking, but take it with a grain of salt. I would go with your gut, and if you are unsure, rely on your mentors in the gastroenterology/hepatology fields. When I went through the GI fellowship match process, my best resources for ranking were my mentors, as well as the current fellows who just went through the process, who faced similar dilemmas and qualms that I did with my rank list.

Reactions: 7 users
Just a reminder to people asking to "help me rank":

Please remember that you (having interviewed at these programs) know much more about them than the majority of people on this board. You are the one who went through the interview day, met the fellows and saw the program. People responding with rankings of these programs may not know them as intimately as you do, and could possibly be ranking them off of 2nd or 3rd hand information about the programs. Heck, you are not even sure if the people giving you ranking advice are even in the field of gastroenterology/hepatology. I am not saying they are worthless or its not right for a poster to respond to a question about ranking, but take it with a grain of salt. I would go with your gut, and if you are unsure, rely on your mentors in the gastroenterology/hepatology fields. When I went through the GI fellowship match process, my best resources for ranking were my mentors, as well as the current fellows who just went through the process, who faced similar dilemmas and qualms that I did with my rank list.
And just as a point brought up a while ago, what is your rank based on? If your goal is to learn how to keep up and deal with private/community practice then going to a large university in the middle of nowhere with a prestigious research reputation will not help you and may hurt you. The opposite is also definitely true. Go where it suits your goals. We were all type A to get here but now you’re here so being sincere in your pursuits is important.

Reactions: 4 users
Agree with the previous two posters, but sometimes it's good to get a fresh perspective on the overall relative reputation of a program and make sure nothing is missing. Just an additional piece of information to factor in the final ranking

Last edited:
Anyone else got another wave of interviews on 10/21?

Regarding Ranking:

Rank based on the place and order your preference. See what you want to do after, Academic vs Private, Advance vs Transplant and consider family, and friends for support or spouse if you have one (If he or she will be relocated for 3 years will have a smooth transition)-(Consider schools for kids)---etc.
You Interviewed at the place, you have and had the chance to look at their program and research the program.

No here who has not gone to your program or knows more about you and your future plan can tell you how to rank and in what order. You rank based on your preference and where you want to go.

I find people still think by stating the rank list and asking for help try to tilt the matching algorithm, this will not happen, you will end up matching where the matrix decides based on your order and the programs order and all others in the matrix.

I've heard that it is good to ask what types of endoscopes programs use. Is there much difference between the new Pentax vs Olympus 190 scopes? Studies show the polyp detection rate is the same but the overall comfortability and logistics of the scope may be different I suppose. Certainly this shouldn't make a major difference in choosing a program though I am curious to what you all think...

Especially pertaining to the current fellows on the blog, what are some thoughts on the two major call systems: Qday (ex: being on every 2-10 days) versus Qweek (ex: being on for an entire one week every 6-8 weeks for example) schedule?