sunshinefl

All Gold Everything
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2014
The Swamp
Status
Medical Student
That’s what I’m thinking. I haven’t been studying for the test for the last month because I didn’t know I would have the opportunity to retake. So I’m thinking even though I lost time on my test, I might do better on that one than if I had to take it again with little review time.

I have a step 1 in the lower 230s. I won’t find out my COMLEX if I choose to retake. I don’t think I failed COMLEX, just worried that it will hurt my application if I did.

My school didn’t give an option to do an elective rotation for this
Wow that sucks. I had a technical error towards the end of section 5 where the screen just suddenly went black. It took them a while to see my hand up and then they couldn’t fix it and eventually moved me to a different station after 20 mins of mental anguish. The whole time I was thinking “is the clock still ticking, did that just erase my exam, do I want it to have (lol)” but then when I started it was at the same place with the same clock. Hopefully everything else saved lol. But since you didn’t find out about your situation for a while, now I’m just hoping there isn’t an ongoing problem with mine.

Anyway, comlex was a nightmare, and I wouldn’t want to volunteer to take it again, especially after not keeping up with studying for it.

pseud0

2+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Wow that sucks. I had a technical error towards the end of section 5 where the screen just suddenly went black. It took them a while to see my hand up and then they couldn’t fix it and eventually moved me to a different station after 20 mins of mental anguish. The whole time I was thinking “is the clock still ticking, did that just erase my exam, do I want it to have (lol)” but then when I started it was at the same place with the same clock. Hopefully everything else saved lol. But since you didn’t find out about your situation for a while, now I’m just hoping there isn’t an ongoing problem with mine.

Anyway, comlex was a nightmare, and I wouldn’t want to volunteer to take it again, especially after not keeping up with studying for it.
lol same thing happened to me 3 times during step because they're using outdated VGA connections to the monitors which will get uncoupled if you like breathe on them the wrong way (i like moving the monitor up and down to get comfortable)

• Wow
Reactions: sunshinefl

Dr. wait for it...

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2016
Status
Medical Student

Yeah I had heard that when it crashed people didn’t lose time, so I wasn’t worried about it until they started my test back up and my time had been lost, then I was freaking out. But I answered the questions super fast and got through most of the test. So I’m hoping I did alright but the last three blocks are a blur.

Noisewater-TDX

The Grumpiest Of Them All
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2014
North Carolina
Status
Medical Student
My test also crash, I forget which block. Sometime in the morning.

Good times. The guy came and took his sweet time fixing it. Left for 5 minutes then came back. All while I tried not to poop myself standing in corner hoping I didn't lose time.

10-11 minutes later. Computer was fixed. Didn't lose any time. My bet is that's all on purpose lol. You are randomly assigned a number of crashes from 0-3 by the nbome to increase your stress levels.

Chris07

2+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2015
West Coast
Status
Medical Student
I only had 1 issue, on a video. I played the video...tried to scroll down to view the answers...went to cross an answer out and it completely froze.
I raised my hand, and of course...there was only one person in the testing center...so I lost about 6-8 minutes. Luckily, as soon as they saw it had frozen, they turned the power to the computer off to "stop the timer". (Thank you!)

Long story short, I had to rapid skim and best guess for the last 10 questions. Luckily most of them weren't too crazy.

The thing that sucks about technical issues like that is what the recourse is:
You contact NBOME after the fact...they apologize and offer you the ability to retake the exam and scrap the old one...

HELL NO I AIN'T GOING THROUGH THAT CRAP AGAIN. Score the original! My brain can't take the abuse again. If your exam locks up, I guess you get punished by having to sit through the whole thing all over again.

wonko

aspiring lightning bonesetter
2+ Year Member
May 8, 2015
Status
DO/PhD Student
mine came at 2:14PM

pseud0

2+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2016
Status
my exam status was saying something like 'exam taken, score not released' now it says "you have no exams"

assuming this is just because they'll upload scores soon

browneyes1000

7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2011
Status
Yeah. I saw that and had small MI. Atleast someone else has seen it.
x3. Might also be because they are doing some updating on the site with a scheduled outage.

... Doesn't mean I won't be checking constantly like an idiot in case they decide to do an early release (which there is a 0% chance of).

Zach_ox

2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
x3. Might also be because they are doing some updating on the site with a scheduled outage.

... Doesn't mean I won't be checking constantly like an idiot in case they decide to do an early release (which there is a 0% chance of).
Ummmm. So mine still says "Exam taken, but score not yet released". Mine hasn't changed. Should I be concerned? haha took on 7/5/19. I know scores won't be released until 7/31 or 8/1.

browneyes1000

7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2011
Status
Ummmm. So mine still says "Exam taken, but score not yet released". Mine hasn't changed. Should I be concerned? haha took on 7/5/19. I know scores won't be released until 7/31 or 8/1.
Don't worry, it went back to normal so mine says that too now :D

wonko

2+ Year Member
May 8, 2015
Status
DO/PhD Student
It will change to "Exam passed" once AT still sees fit. Happened to me 5 minutes before I got the email from our lord and saviour.

Zach_ox

2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
It will change to "Exam passed" once AT still sees fit. Happened to me 5 minutes before I got the email from our lord and saviour.
You seem to have insight into the great one. I hope mine says "Exam Passed" XD. Praise be to him.

Osteoguy1994

5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2012
Status
Non-Student
As some of us move into the home stretch with getting scores back does anyone have any better of a sense of what “percent” on the Comlex nets u say 400, 500, 600, ect. I understand that “percent” is pretty arbitrary in this sense but like with a few score release cycles maybe people have some ideas)

Reactions: KingJ

Chibucks15

2+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2016
Status
Medical Student
As some of us move into the home stretch with getting scores back does anyone have any better of a sense of what “percent” on the Comlex nets u say 400, 500, 600, ect. I understand that “percent” is pretty arbitrary in this sense but like with a few score release cycles maybe people have some ideas)
They don’t give a percent correct on the score report. Nobody knows and honestly nobody will ever know.

Would it change how you prepare if you knew 60% was a 450 or something?

Osteoguy1994

5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2012
Status
Non-Student
My bad should have clarified I get my scores back this week. Not much of a reason for asking just seeing if anybody heard any more chatter to mull over for the next few days while waiting lol.

jets46

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2016
Somewhere South
Status
Medical Student
Hopefully manipulating my name was enough to let A.T Still give me the go ahead.

NecrotizingFasciitis

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I literally have no idea what score to expect tomorrow/thusday.

For Step I walked out knowing I passed & it felt good; only marked a few per section.

For comlex, there were several I completely guessed, I was always racing the clock, the exam crashed in block 2, & I couldn't review any marked due to time. Legit nervous. Lol.

austintr

5000 candles in the wind
5+ Year Member
May 21, 2014
Probably the library
Status
Medical Student
I literally have no idea what score to expect tomorrow/thusday.

For Step I walked out knowing I passed & it felt good; only marked a few per section.

For comlex, there were several I completely guessed, I was always racing the clock, the exam crashed in block 2, & I couldn't review any marked due to time. Legit nervous. Lol.
The good news for you is you probably don't have to wait until tomorrow or Thursday because I just got my score like 5 minutes ago. I think I'm happy with it, but it's >400 so I'm pretty sure that's all I really needed it to be! Best of luck!

NecrotizingFasciitis

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status
Medical Student
UWorld 1st Pass: 68%
UWorld 2nd Pass: 83% (75% completed)
NBME15: 209 (7 wks out)
COMSAE (phase1 blueprint thing): 466 (6.5 wks out)
COMBANK Level 1 Assessment: 656-671 (6.5 wks out)
NBME20: 213 (5.5 wks out)
NBME21: 228 (4.5 wks out)
NBME22: 223 (3.5 wks out)
UWSA1: 262 (3.3 wks out)
NBME18: 232 (2 wks out)
UWSA2: 245 (9 days out)
Free120: 83% (9 days out)
Reddit Predictor: 243 (95% CI: 229 - 258)

Step: 243
Comlex: 631

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019
Status
DO/PhD Student
Got my scores back today. Did abysmally: 420. I scored a 446 on 105 about 3 weeks before the exam. I had plans of doing OB/GYN & was hoping I could get by on COMLEX alone but that’s definitely not going to be the case. Does anyone have advice for step studying during third year? I was thinking of taking the exam around Dec since I have a relatively light first half compared to the spring. Any other advice on what seemed to be the best for Step would be appreciated too.

wonko

2+ Year Member
May 8, 2015
Status
DO/PhD Student
Got my scores back today. Did abysmally: 420. I scored a 446 on 105 about 3 weeks before the exam. I had plans of doing OB/GYN & was hoping I could get by on COMLEX alone but that’s definitely not going to be the case. Does anyone have advice for step studying during third year? I was thinking of taking the exam around Dec since I have a relatively light first half compared to the spring. Any other advice on what seemed to be the best for Step would be appreciated too.
Sorry to hear that pal. Try to do Zanki/Sketchy during the year, study hard for your shelves, and then take a break rotation if possible as dedicated at the end of OMS-3. People taking step in year 3 do much better on average than those in year 2.

Reactions: ASGD1983
Jul 30, 2019
Status
DO/PhD Student
Sorry to hear that pal. Try to do Zanki/Sketchy during the year, study hard for your shelves, and then take a break rotation if possible as dedicated at the end of OMS-3. People taking step in year 3 do much better on average than those in year 2.
Thank you for the advice!

Sep 25, 2018
Using a ruler on my score sheet, it looks like the median was about 550-555, with a SD of +/- 40

Upon further inspection using Photoshop, the median for all test takers was ~546, and for all who passed being ~555. SD is +/- 40.

Quick percentile references using the above numbers: 84th Percentile = 626, 97.5th Percentile = 706. 32nd Percentile = 466. 2.5th Percentile = 386. You can probably calculate your individual scores using the above information.

Last edited:

Zach_ox

2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Cant believe scores came out a day early but....

UWSA1 230 (5 weeks out)
NBME 21 212 (4 weeks out)
NBME 18 230 (2 weeks out)
COMSAE 105 513 (12 days out)
UWSA2 228 (6 days out)
Free 120 78% (3 days out)
COMSAE 103 564 (2 days out)
Uworld First Pass % 61

Real Deal = 571

Very happy with my score!! I honestly thought the COMSAE's were representative of the question types of the exam. I know I am an outlier. Yes COMSAE was easier but the question types (except the videos) were similar. Congratulations to everyone else!!

OP
A
Jun 19, 2018
Was timing an issue for you or something else happened? Thank you

OP
A
Jun 19, 2018
Are bugs/drugs and OMM still heavily represented while biochem/immuno/biostat not so much in your opinion?

Jul 30, 2019
Status
DO/PhD Student
Was timing an issue for you or something else happened? Thank you
Time was definitely not a factor. I had a good amount of time left over; I’m a fast reader (maybe too fast). I honestly can’t point to one specific factor that made me do so poorly. I felt terrible coming out of the exam & I could only point to a small amount of questions that I knew I got right for sure. The question stems were like the COMSAE so I’ll give them that. Just very UNLIKE the the banks I used. Maybe that was the main issue.

sunshinefl

All Gold Everything
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2014
The Swamp
Status
Medical Student
Updated my other scores post now that I got COMLEX back, quoting myself here as well.

COMSAE 104 6/2/19= 551

*school-proctored* COMSAE 105 6/4/19= 427

*school-proctored take 2* COMSAE 105 (yes same one, means nothing but the school is satisfied) 6/18/19=554

COMLEX 7/3/19= 478
Taking COMLEX felt like taking 105. Not the content but just all the wtf?

Was hoping to clear the magic 500 line because I’m interested in IM (and staying in Florida preferably). However, I’m sooo relieved to pass and feel content with my score.

austintr

5000 candles in the wind
5+ Year Member
May 21, 2014
Probably the library
Status
Medical Student
Cant believe scores came out a day early but....

UWSA1 230 (5 weeks out)
NBME 21 212 (4 weeks out)
NBME 18 230 (2 weeks out)
COMSAE 105 513 (12 days out)
UWSA2 228 (6 days out)
Free 120 78% (3 days out)
COMSAE 103 564 (2 days out)
Uworld First Pass % 61

Real Deal = 571

Very happy with my score!! I honestly thought the COMSAE's were representative of the question types of the exam. I know I am an outlier. Yes COMSAE was easier but the question types (except the videos) were similar. Congratulations to everyone else!!
Congrats! Your scores are almost identical to mine across the board with the exception of your NBMEs being a bit higher. You got a few points on me on the real deal for comlex though! Hopefully we both hit our target scores on step as well!

Reactions: Zach_ox

sunshinefl

All Gold Everything
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2014
The Swamp
Status
Medical Student
Are bugs/drugs and OMM still heavily represented while biochem/immuno/biostat not so much in your opinion?
I had a decent amount of micro, not too bad OMM, decent amount of biochemistry, decent amount of biostatistics, minor amount of immunology.

Jun 3, 2019
Status
Finally my time to shine. Got my score a day early. For context I'm a bottom 15 percenter or so in my class. Didn't really do UFAPS. Did not really use UWORLD, finished 20% at 60% correct. Used COMBANK extensively. First pass was 73% correct. Used sketchy with salt and pepper deck. Matured almost all of those cards. Extatic with my score with ambitions to do family medicine.

Comsae 105 (5 weeks out): 442
COMLEX: 627

wonko

2+ Year Member
May 8, 2015
Status
DO/PhD Student
Finally my time to shine. Got my score a day early. For context I'm a bottom 15 percenter or so in my class. Didn't really do UFAPS. Did not really use UWORLD, finished 20% at 60% correct. Used COMBANK extensively. First pass was 73% correct. Used sketchy with salt and pepper deck. Matured almost all of those cards. Extatic with my score with ambitions to do family medicine.

Comsae 105 (5 weeks out): 442
COMLEX: 627
Awesome score my brother in still!

Reactions: Dr. wait for it...

wonko

2+ Year Member
May 8, 2015
Status
DO/PhD Student
Updated my other scores post now that I got COMLEX back, quoting myself here as well.

Was hoping to clear the magic 500 line because I’m interested in IM (and staying in Florida preferably). However, I’m sooo relieved to pass and feel content with my score.
I'm almost positive that IM in florida will work out! Congratulations on being done! I'm eyeing FL residencies too and maybe we will cross paths!

jets46

2+ Year Member
May 18, 2016
Somewhere South
Status
Medical Student

Same here. Got a 473. Was really hoping to clear the 500 line to go stay in Florida. Fingers crossed it works out for us.