COMLEX Official 2019 Comlex 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASGD1983

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's that time of the year. Anyone took new Comsae recently? Hopefully it's more predicitve than old ones that were all over the place - like +/- 100 points.
Also, interesting to hear if this years comlex is indeed changed? If anyone took it recently - please share your experience. Especially if you can compare it to previous year one.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you can pass UWSA and NBME, assuming you’re also doing OMM on the side, is that good enough to say you have a shot at passing the COMLEX? Or are you suppose to be getting at least like 220 or something to feel comfortable about passing comlex?

If you can pass UWSA and NBME, assuming you’re also doing OMM on the side, is that good enough to say you have a shot at passing the COMLEX? Or are you suppose to be getting at least like 220 or something to feel comfortable about passing comlex?
You have a shot, yes. Just a few words of caution, imho after recent changes to comlex (a bit longer question stems and same 1hr per 50 questions time allotted, together with vague wording etc), I would no longer say comlex is any easier than step 1 (as was the case previously). So probably that means their passing thresholds are very close to each other - very close to a level of preparedness it takes for a person to be ready (of course comlex will have OMM too). So I'm just saying that if you are just barely passing UWSA and nbme - it could be very close with comlex too. Not at all trying to discourage you. Just my opinion man.

Reactions: 2 users
You have a shot, yes. Just a few words of caution, imho after recent changes to comlex (a bit longer question stems and same 1hr per 50 questions time allotted, together with vague wording etc), I would no longer say comlex is any easier than step 1 (as was the case previously). So probably that means their passing thresholds are very close to each other - very close to a level of preparedness it takes for a person to be ready (of course comlex will have OMM too). So I'm just saying that if you are just barely passing UWSA and nbme - it could be very close with comlex too. Not at all trying to discourage you. Just my opinion man.

That’s what I’m thinking too. The length and timing is a big hurdle. While in the past, studying for usmle was good enough to pass comlex, not that I’m saying you should aim for just a pass. Based on the responses in this thread, uworld seem to still be the way to go until nbome releases more info on the comsae

Members don't see this ad :)

I think Comlex asks enough "gimme" questions that it's still easier to pass. I don't remember very many easy questions on Step 1 at all. That being said, I think if you're able to pass Step, you should be able to pass Comlex. Just my opinion though

bravenugget . hi! whats up? How's it going over there/ PM or call me always nice to talk to others in similar situiations...

Does anyone know if the $50 Comquest Assessment is representative of the new COMLEX 1? Question style and Scoring

I think Comlex asks enough "gimme" questions that it's still easier to pass. I don't remember very many easy questions on Step 1 at all. That being said, I think if you're able to pass Step, you should be able to pass Comlex. Just my opinion though

What do you mean by “gimme” questions? Heard comlex is vague so not many buzz words to point you in the right direction?

This is exactly how you should focus your time for these exams.

With an Emphasis on the "take a UWSA". NBOME and NBME practice exams are joke, focus on UWSA and then add in some OMM content.

Can confirm. This strategy worked like a charm for COMLEX. Personally, I think the NBMEs are gold for comlex, as they focus on equally arbitrary low yield topics and teach valuable lessons for "educated guessing by exclusion", also known as the "still technique" for standardized exams. You don't really know what you're doing, you just go with what feels good, but at the end some DO tells you you were great.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
What do you mean by “gimme” questions? Heard comlex is vague so not many buzz words to point you in the right direction?

You probably won't see ultra buzzy buzzwords often (like, probably no currant jelly sputum/stool, likely no "spaghetti and meatballs" KOH prep), but for sure things like "broad-based buds" and whatnot. I would say they use a fair amount of buzzwords, but the dead giveaway/super unique ones they try to put into less obvious language.

I scored pretty much exactly average on comlex though and didn't really use Sketchy, so take that for what it's worth. Just happy I only have two terrible NBOME exams left (not including COMATs of course)

You probably won't see ultra buzzy buzzwords often (like, probably no currant jelly sputum/stool, likely no "spaghetti and meatballs" KOH prep), but for sure things like "broad-based buds" and whatnot. I would say they use a fair amount of buzzwords, but the dead giveaway/super unique ones they try to put into less obvious language.

I scored pretty much exactly average on comlex though and didn't really use Sketchy, so take that for what it's worth. Just happy I only have two terrible NBOME exams left (not including COMATs of course)

COMATS are a league of craziness in and of themselves!

Uff.. did Endo Uworld 1x, then repated UWORLD incorrects, read FA, and now doing Anki to cement it.
1/9 SUBJECTS..to go.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 2.04.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 2.04.48 PM.png
    458.7 KB · Views: 150
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 4.57.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 4.57.57 PM.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 147
Members don't see this ad :)
Uff.. did Endo Uworld 1x, then repated UWORLD incorrects, read FA, and now doing Anki to cement it.
1/9 SUBJECTS..to go.
That forgetfulness curve is scary. Even after 4th or 5th pass of material - looks like average student still forgets like 20-30% within first week :nailbiting:

I’m waiting on my preceptor cause his kid got sick this morning so I came on here to waste some time. Just wanted to throw out my opinion on how to prep for COMLEX. I only used UWorld and NBMEs as far as question banks/practice exams go. I know both of these are for the USMLE but I honestly think it helped me solidify the knowledge I needed to answer any questions I could’ve gotten on either test. The qbanks geared towards COMLEX suck and aren’t predictive of anything. I ended up scoring a 249 on step and a 687 on COMLEX. Just my 2 cents!

After an annoyingly long wait, nbome will be releasing July 8-31 test scores this week. Here’s to the crapshoot of an exam rolling in all our favors

Reactions: 10 users
May be a stupid question but what is the lowest score that’s considered competitive in general

600 is the gold cutoff for many mid to high tier programs and specialties who take comlex, but most of those programs also like to see USMLE anyway. The average on most years is like 520-550 with a SD of ~75 depending on the year. So, anything below 450 is a tough sell.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone expecting Comlex scores to be released tonight??? I say this because The scores that were supposed to be released July 31st were released July 30th...

Anyone expecting Comlex scores to be released tonight??? I say this because The scores that were supposed to be released July 31st were released July 30th...

They were early for a deadline once and will never let that happen again....

okay I don't know but I wouldn't count on it. They were released pretty early in the day on the 30th if I remember right.

Anyone know if a low COMLEX score (but still passing) would be looked on unfavorably even if their Step 1 score is around the 245 range for ACGME residencies (not the AOA converted ones)?

Anyone know if a low COMLEX score (but still passing) would be looked on unfavorably even if their Step 1 score is around the 245 range for ACGME residencies (not the AOA converted ones)?

Doubt it. If your step score is really 245 you're good as long as you pass level 1

Yeah, the scores released around 1 pm on the 30th. Don't think they will release tonight

Doubt it. If your step score is really 245 you're good as long as you pass level 1

Yeah, the scores released around 1 pm on the 30th. Don't think they will release tonight
I appreciate the reply. Just out of curiosity, do you know if 1 PM is the time when all the COMLEX scores tend to be released? Expecting mine today hopefully and a little antsy haha. Thanks!

I appreciate the reply. Just out of curiosity, do you know if 1 PM is the time when all the COMLEX scores tend to be released? Expecting mine today hopefully and a little antsy haha. Thanks!

N=1, but as I have been reading this thread it seems that they come out anytime between 12-3 pm Central! Good luck!!!

No score release yet today...
Yeah..... still holding on hope but it is fading, just waiting on the nbome email "sorry we are all on vacation, scores will be delayed until december 25th 2019, thank you for being patient in this transitional time"

I just don’t get how they can have some of our exams for over 6 weeks and not have them ready for release. Just want to be done with the waiting

That forgetfulness curve is scary. Even after 4th or 5th pass of material - looks like average student still forgets like 20-30% within first week :nailbiting:

that's why i am glad to be using anki - as I am. That helps keep things fresh. Slowly adding the next topic: did endo, now repro...

COMSAE D (6 months before COMLEX): 403
COMSAE E (5 weeks before COMLEX): 568
COMLEX: 604

I seriously couldn't be happier. After the initial COMSAE (both administered by my school), it was estimated that I would get around 530, so I started board prep then & didn't watch lecture anymore. After my second COMSAE, I had to change my goals & put them highter lmao. They were hard months, and I know that a lot of people still did much better than I did, but I'm still excited.

505. Not great but i wanted to be above 500.

Gonna start gunning for step 1 in my next rotation.

People who shared scores what percentage of questions did you feel you got correct when you walked out?

COMSAE D 5.5 months out: 554
COMSAE E 5 weeks out: 602
COMSAE 105 5 weeks out: 568

COMLEX 7-11: 661

I studied almost exclusively with UWORLD and added in some DirtyUSMLE. I took USMLE 3 days before COMLEX and in those 3 days I reviewed only OMM and micro, heavily.
I walked out of the exam feeling much better than I felt about USMLE (225).