COMLEX Official 2019 Comlex 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASGD1983

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's that time of the year. Anyone took new Comsae recently? Hopefully it's more predicitve than old ones that were all over the place - like +/- 100 points.
Also, interesting to hear if this years comlex is indeed changed? If anyone took it recently - please share your experience. Especially if you can compare it to previous year one.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Silly question, but how to plan test day in terms of water/food intake and washroom breaks, are there any to do and not to do list? How to stay focused all day?

I definitely picked up a few extra points going over stuff like dermatomes out of FA the night before my COMLEX. A LOT of MSK anatomy on that thing.

So anatomy covered in FA should be decent coverage. Wasn’t sure if it was like my school anatomy which I felt was overkill.

So anatomy covered in FA should be decent coverage. Wasn’t sure if it was like my school anatomy which I felt was overkill.

Yes. Especially at this point in the game, knowing the high yield msk in FA cold will net many more points than trying to learn too much and missing easy points. I studied only for USMLE, then in between tests brushed up on micro and crammed some OMT and did well.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Silly question, but how to plan test day in terms of water/food intake and washroom breaks, are there any to do and not to do list? How to stay focused all day?

Look up dirtyusmle’s biohacks video on YouTube. Basically 2 eggs and oatmeal for breakfast and only protein bars for breaks. I added an apple for lunch and had some caffeine in the locker in case I needed it before the last block but didn’t end up drinking it.

Reactions: 3 users
Tbh, you don't need to follow particular "diet" for the day. Just eat what you normally eat, but less proportion. Don't wanna change up food in the off chance that eating something you haven't had before (or in a while) while give you the ****s.

Reactions: 2 users
Gas station sushi at 6 am, followed by a quick shot of hard liquor to really get you going.

Reactions: 5 users

I ate dark chocolate (95%), nuts, and dried apricots on my breaks, didn't do an actual lunch. No insulin spike, no post lunch sleepiness, happy test taker :)

So I ate the Taco Bell the night before and my friends thought I was kinda crazy but it all worked out.

On the test day tho I had Oreos and Cheez-IT. Plus bagel with cream cheese in the morning.

I had 3 eggs in the morning.

Took a turkey sandwich and a clif bar with me. Ate them during my breaks. Also had mio energy for caffeine. Worked perfectly for me.

Took new comsae 101 today and I'm kinda devastated with 445 score. I wouldn't be complaining if it was pre-dedicated score, but my exam is in 10 days.
I did all of 2800 questions of UW with 55% average (and read all explanations), created a folder with wrong answers/explanations and HY tables from UW), Savarese x2 with OMM only questions from combank (got 90% on OMM questions), x2 FA, Pathoma, x2 Sketchy Micro and Pharm, also did 1 pass of some HY books (Physiology, Neuro, Anatomy).
I thought I was solid, but apparently not even close.
I'm scarred, because honestly comsae had a lot of 1-2 sentence stems and I suspect comlex might have longer stems and more convoluted questions. I also saw on this thread couple students got less than their comsae score. At this point I'm just hoping to pass miraculously. I can't postpone it anymore, my school won't let me. I had more time for dedicated than average student and yet I'm no where close to even sub-average 500 that I thought I might get on comsae after all this studying. I did feel that majority of what I learned in UW wasn't even asked to be honest on comsae. It was mostly some minutae details and lots of things not in UW even.
Sorry for the rant. I just don't know what to think anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took new comsae 101 today and I'm kinda devastated with 445 score. I wouldn't be complaining if it was pre-dedicated score, but my exam is in 10 days.
I did all of 2800 questions of UW with 55% average (and read all explanations), created a folder with wrong answers/explanations and HY tables from UW), Savarese x2 with OMM only questions from combank (got 90% on OMM questions), x2 FA, Pathoma, x2 Sketchy Micro and Pharm, also did 1 pass of some HY books (Physiology, Neuro, Anatomy).
I'm scarred, because honestly comsae had a lot of 1-2 sentence stems and I suspect comlex might have longer stems and more convoluted questions. I also saw on this thread couple students got less than their comsae score. At this point I'm just hoping to pass miraculously. I can't postpone it anymore, my school won't let me. I had more time for dedicated than average student and yet I'm no where close to even sub-average 500 that I thought I might get on comsae after all this studying. I did feel that majority of what I learned in UW wasn't even asked to be honest on comsae. It was mostly some minutae details and lots of things not in UW even.

If you have access to COMBANK please do it. The real deal is much closer to the COMBANK qbank than uworld. I personally found that uworld made me overthink questions and get them wrong.
445 on 101 is good! i personally think that the COMSAEs under-predict if you took them honestly (timed not looking things up). I got a 405 on 105 (2 weeks out) and 525 on the real deal. So stay positive! Others before you have passed why not you?

Hey keep chipping at it. I know that it can be hard but you are doing all the right things... Qbanks, using the right resources etc...

Just gotta trust that you know your stuff and don't get flustered on the test day and you will be fine. At the end of the day there are 400 Qs and if you come across something that you don't know...just guess and move on since there are plenty of other Qs to make up for the missed ones.

From what I have seen, new COMSAE underpredict drastically. I've seen them underpredict by ~100 to about 150 points. I got 578 on COMSAE 103 and ended up with a 770. So far only very few people I've seen that did worse than their COMSAE, however majority outperform their COMSAEs.

If I had to guess with that COMSAE score, currently you are looking atleast 525+ on the real deal.

Last edited:
If you have access to COMBANK please do it. The real deal is much closer to the COMBANK qbank than uworld. I personally found that uworld made me overthink questions and get them wrong.
445 on 101 is good! i personally think that the COMSAEs under-predict if you took them honestly (timed not looking things up). I got a 405 on 105 (2 weeks out) and 525 on the real deal. So stay positive! Others before you have passed why not you?

Do you know comquest is close to the real deal too? Before combank updated, people preferred comquest but not sure which is preferred with the blueprint.

Do you know comquest is close to the real deal too? Before combank updated, people preferred comquest but not sure which is preferred with the blueprint.
I didn’t know that- thats great! More practice that is representative. I didnt buy comquest for level one (i have it for the comats) because #poor

I didn’t know that- thats great! More practice that is representative. I didnt buy comquest for level one (i have it for the comats) because #poor

I bought it because we got a huge discount and people preferred it over combank then but combank did an update and I’m hearing they’re more representative. Don’t quote me on that though, maybe people who have done both can comment on that.

Am I correct assuming question stem length on comlex is variable and there are plenty of short 1-3 liners (similar to comsae)? I'm thinking it has to be that way, so you can save time on shorter stems and use it on longer questions. Otherwise, if it really was like people are describing (I'm thinking they are a bit exaggerating) then no one would have finished it in time, no?

Am I correct assuming question stem length on comlex is variable and there are plenty of short 1-3 liners (similar to comsae)? I'm thinking it has to be that way, so you can save time on shorter stems and use it on longer questions. Otherwise, if it really was like people are describing (I'm thinking they are a bit exaggerating) then no one would have finished it in time, no?

Yeah it’s pretty similar to the new COMSAEs in terms of stem length. The question stems aren’t really the issue it’s moreso the fact that you have to answer 50 questions in an hour. I definitely spent like 3-4 even 5 minutes on some questions and I was OK on time.

Figured I’d post my numbers since I’m here and just got score back.

COMSAE E ( March) 411
101 (June) 422
104 (mid July) 427

COMLEX (Aug) 474

Slightly disappointed in my score as I’m really pulling for EM but legit thought I failed and told myself I’d be cool with anything above a 400 so I’m not going to dwell on it. Planning on taking step during my vacation rotation in a couple months.

Figured I’d post my numbers since I’m here and just got score back.

COMSAE E ( March) 411
101 (June) 422
104 (mid July) 427

COMLEX (Aug) 474

Slightly disappointed in my score as I’m really pulling for EM but legit thought I failed and told myself I’d be cool with anything above a 400 so I’m not going to dwell on it. Planning on taking step during my vacation rotation in a couple months.
What qbank you used and do you think UFAPS still works?
Thanks

In general, did you guys feel like the questions were straight forward enough or were there lots of gotcha questions? I find myself second guessing at times. Working on UFAP with comquest/combank thrown in for OMM stuff. Hopefully I learn enough to pass.

In general, did you guys feel like the questions were straight forward enough or were there lots of gotcha questions? I find myself second guessing at times. Working on UFAP with comquest/combank thrown in for OMM stuff. Hopefully I learn enough to pass.
1/3rd were clear as mud. 1/3rd were straightforward. 1/3rd I just didn't study well enough to know or care about.

What qbank you used and do you think UFAPS still works?
Thanks

Agreed w/ above: UFAPS is all you need to do well on the exam.

For OMT: skim savarese, or power through the "Turn Up 2 OMT" Anki deck on Reddit (if you hate reading like I do) a couple days before which will be plenty enough review for the OMT.

Last edited:
q.jpg

This is from free demo nbme on their website, just wanted to address copyright issue before I ask question.

Does anyone know the correct answer here? I'm lost, because it's worded in a peculiar way that I am not even sure which dysfunction to address as they listed so many?

View attachment 280250

This is from free demo nbme on their website, just wanted to address copyright issue before I ask question.

Does anyone know the correct answer here? I'm lost, because it's worded in a peculiar way that I am not even sure which dysfunction to address as they listed so many?
What were your omm exams like in school? This is a pretty basic viscerosomatic example. Questions like the one you just listed are plentiful on COMLEX.

Reactions: 4 users
I was thinking the same but it looks like a colon issue and lower GI is T12-L2.
Not sure tho

I think that question is a good example of why people get confused. IMHO patient might have IBD (diarrhea with constipation) which would point to L2 - colon issues. However, she might also have Chrons and it can affect T5 (foregut) too. Good example why an easy question makes you scratch your head if you are overthinking it like I do. If you are crazy overthinker lol then other choices suddenly appear to make sense too lol: for example C3-5 controls diaphragm which if inhibited can affect (push down) on midgut and even transverse colon. It's a bit stretched lol, but this is why questions like this are tricky to analyse in 1 minute allotted time under stress of exam. On top of that question is a bit tricky as L2 is the last level of sympathetics and not everyone remembers that. So it tests not only viscerosomatics levels, but also sympathetic vs parasympathetic distribution.
Simple question, but imagine what harder ones can feel like to a person under time pressure and stressed to the gills. Sitting home I can tackle almost 99% of questions and they will seem easy. When I was on exam - it was very much different, especially on my last 2 blocks when I started to make mistakes due to fatigue. Just my opinion man.

425 on 105 and a 610 on the real one! You got this

I took my comlex and I can set straight couple misconceptions I personally encountered from forums on sdn. Keep in mind it's just my subjective view.
1. Comsae has EXACTLY same length questions as comlex. Even type of questions were representative.
2. Length of question stems is nowhere to be called long. I honestly can say that 90% of my questions were 3-4 sentences long. I really don't understand who started this myth about huge and lengthy question stems?! Created a lot of unnecessary stress and pressure. I'm guessing people did exaggerate a LOT.
3. Micro was NOT most represented subject on comlex. I actually felt it was about 10% barely and very well in line with new comlex blueprint (eg. not 30-40% of the test as some claimed).
4. Same for OMM, maybe 10-15% at most.
5. Time wasn't really an issue and I'm a slow test taker. That been said I never had more than 2-3min left after each block, so no time to go back, but it wasn't at all like some people here were claiming.

Overall, this test is just very long, annoying, throws a lot of WTF questions here and there, but it's definitely NOT too hard, has short question stems, reasonable time. I would say for future readers - to listen more to what nbome is saying about new blueprint - it seems they did changed percentage and are keeping subjects in line with bluerpint (so no longer 40% micro questions or 40% OMM questions). Comsae was excellent test to get a feel of what comlex is going to be and it mimics comlex nicely with same question stem length and such.
Take with a grain of salt everything you hear from people on forums (including me) as people really tend to exaggerate a lot especially when we are talking about boards. Human nature I guess.

This came out as a rant lol, but was meant as an encouragement for future takers of comlex (class 2022). Moral of story in short - comlex is like comsae and is very doable. it's not a monster of exam like many pictured it here. Hope it helps.

• Haha
I took my comlex and I can set straight couple misconceptions I personally encountered from forums on sdn. Keep in mind it's just my subjective view.
1. Comsae has EXACTLY same length questions as comlex. Even type of questions were representative.
2. Length of question stems is nowhere to be called long. I honestly can say that 90% of my questions were 3-4 sentences long. I really don't understand who started this myth about huge and lengthy question stems?! Created a lot of unnecessary stress and pressure. I'm guessing people did exaggerate a LOT.
3. Micro was NOT most represented subject on comlex. I actually felt it was about 10% barely and very well in line with new comlex blueprint (eg. not 30-40% of the test as some claimed).
5. Time wasn't really an issue and I'm a slow test taker. That been said I never had more than 2-3min left after each block, so no time to go back, but it wasn't at all like some people here were claiming.

Overall, this test is just very long, annoying, throws a lot of WTF questions here and there, but it's definitely NOT too hard, has short question stems, reasonable time. I would say for future readers - to listen more to what nbome is saying about new blueprint - it seems they did changed percentage and are keeping subjects in line with bluerpint (so no longer 40% micro questions or 40% OMM questions). Comsae was excellent test to get a feel of what comlex is going to be and it mimics comlex nicely with same question stem length and such.
Take with a grain of salt everything you hear from people on forums (including me) as people really tend to exaggerate a lot especially when we are talking about boards. Human nature I guess.

This came out as a rant lol, but was meant as an encouragement for future takers of comlex (class 2022). Moral of story in short - comlex is like comsae and is very doable. it's not a monster of exam like many pictured it here. Hope it helps.

Ok..... each form is very different. Glad you didn't have one that had long stems or was micro/OMM heavy, doesn't mean that everyone that said those things was exaggerating. People need to be ready for anything, and no they shouldn't trust the NBOME.

• Love
I took the test on August and the question stems are longgggg. Perhaps it is just the luck of the draw.

Looking back, I thought my stem length was comparable to Step 1. But when you have less time per question, it feels much longer. I’m with you on all of this post, except the micro part. It had to be like 25% of my test easy.

Is there anyway to really prepare for those WTF questions this test throws at you or are you at the mercy of the Comlex gods and gut feeling? Even in the qbanks, you get enough detail to answer them and 95% of the time they’re stuff I’ve seen, just forgot or mixed up.

Is there anyway to really prepare for those WTF questions this test throws at you or are you at the mercy of the Comlex gods and gut feeling? Even in the qbanks, you get enough detail to answer them and 95% of the time they’re stuff I’ve seen, just forgot or mixed up.

The stronger your base knowledge, the more likely you are to be able to rationalize your way to the correct answers on the WTF questions. Usually they give you some kinda clue - however subtle - to at least bump you in the right direction.

Ultimately though, no. Just make sure you properly lubricate about an hour before sitting.

Any news yet regarding COMLEX scores being released today for those who took it Aug 28-Sept 6th or does it seem like it's going to drop tomorrow?

What is everyone's opinion on using COMLEX-specific resources? I am using Kaplan alongside classes this semester and am starting UWorld in January for mid-June Step 1/Level 1 test dates, and I have gotten mixed opinions on the necessity of COMLEX specific Qbanks. I would prefer to just use UWorld and not to spend the extra money on them if they won't be helpful, is this a good idea?

What is everyone's opinion on using COMLEX-specific resources? I am using Kaplan alongside classes this semester and am starting UWorld in January for mid-June Step 1/Level 1 test dates, and I have gotten mixed opinions on the necessity of COMLEX specific Qbanks. I would prefer to just use UWorld and not to spend the extra money on them if they won't be helpful, is this a good idea?
Don't waste your time. Know UW completely.

I’ve heard of people who used comlex specific and did awesome and heard of people who used one and did so so.

I did UWORLD only then crammed in Savarese with questions two days before my Level 1. Worked well for me, but I tend to do really well on osteopathic written tests during the school year (whole different story on practical stuff), so I wasn’t too worried about osteopathic part to it. If you struggled with osteopathic tests you might want to do more questions or start earlier.

I don’t see any need to do a comlex specific bank for things that are covered in UWORLD though, unless you have the time.

Also I chose to start UWORLD 6 weeks from my test date so that I saw everything in UWORLD somewhat close to the big day. So I would say if your going to start it early maybe try doing two runs through it

You don't need any complex-specific banks. Use green book for OMM & take a complex-style practice exam (if your school doesn't already make you take one) to get a feel for the question style. That's all you need.

& I'd like to echo what @Dr. wait for it... said in that, if you start UWorld in January, make sure you finish it before your dedicated period so you can reset it at the beginning & you can do a second pass during dedicated. I did the same thing. You're not going to remember questions you did in January. But you'll remember all the stuff faster on you're second pass, so restarting the entire thing doesn't hold you back.

What did you guys do the day before your exam? I was thinking about cramming last minute notes. But then I started thinking, if I did that it would very much likely cause me to think too much about what I still need to know... go over.. and would affect my sleep. The last thing I want is to not be able to sleep the day before the exam (which I'm prone to do). So I was thinking... 2 days before the exam, I pretend it's the day before the exam. I do my cram session then. Now the day before the exam, I go into nature, play sports, hit the gym, do something inspiring, yoga, meditate.. whatever will put me back into a confident, balanced mindset.
What do you guys think? What did you do day before the test and do you think it helped/hurt? Thanks.

What did you guys do the day before your exam? I was thinking about cramming last minute notes. But then I started thinking, if I did that it would very much likely cause me to think too much about what I still need to know... go over.. and would affect my sleep. The last thing I want is to not be able to sleep the day before the exam (which I'm prone to do). So I was thinking... 2 days before the exam, I pretend it's the day before the exam. I do my cram session then. Now the day before the exam, I go into nature, play sports, hit the gym, do something inspiring, yoga, meditate.. whatever will put me back into a confident, balanced mindset.
What do you guys think? What did you do day before the test and do you think it helped/hurt? Thanks.

Do whatever you're comfortable with - There is no right or wrong answer. I watched every single Dirty USMLE video the day before my exam, and I was happy that I did.