Sep 10, 2018
Was new comlex micro and pharm heavy? What about OMM and biostat or ethics? Can someone name top 3 heaviest subjects on test?
Just trying to gauge what should I go over last 2 weeks I have before test.

Vrachika

2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Was new comlex micro and pharm heavy? What about OMM and biostat or ethics? Can someone name top 3 heaviest subjects on test?
Just trying to gauge what should I go over last 2 weeks I have before test.
Definitely micro. FA micro section is absolute gold for a last minute review, but with 2 weeks left you could also brush up with sketchy. Pharm, neuro, msk are pretty high yield so if you have weaknesses in those areas I would address them. But micro is definitely the most high yield thing by far, if you are weak in micro it could really drag you down.

May 30, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Definitely micro. FA micro section is absolute gold for a last minute review, but with 2 weeks left you could also brush up with sketchy. Pharm, neuro, msk are pretty high yield so if you have weaknesses in those areas I would address them. But micro is definitely the most high yield thing by far, if you are weak in micro it could really drag you down.
What type of msk stuff? Like is it sufficient to know the anatomy in FA or go through brs anatomy?

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
What type of msk stuff? Like is it sufficient to know the anatomy in FA or go through brs anatomy?
I definitely picked up a few extra points going over stuff like dermatomes out of FA the night before my COMLEX. A LOT of MSK anatomy on that thing.

Sep 10, 2018
Silly question, but how to plan test day in terms of water/food intake and washroom breaks, are there any to do and not to do list? How to stay focused all day?

Vrachika

2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
So anatomy covered in FA should be decent coverage. Wasn’t sure if it was like my school anatomy which I felt was overkill.
Yes. Especially at this point in the game, knowing the high yield msk in FA cold will net many more points than trying to learn too much and missing easy points. I studied only for USMLE, then in between tests brushed up on micro and crammed some OMT and did well.

Dr. wait for it...

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Silly question, but how to plan test day in terms of water/food intake and washroom breaks, are there any to do and not to do list? How to stay focused all day?

Look up dirtyusmle’s biohacks video on YouTube. Basically 2 eggs and oatmeal for breakfast and only protein bars for breaks. I added an apple for lunch and had some caffeine in the locker in case I needed it before the last block but didn’t end up drinking it.

Mr. D.O.five

2+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Tbh, you don't need to follow particular "diet" for the day. Just eat what you normally eat, but less proportion. Don't wanna change up food in the off chance that eating something you haven't had before (or in a while) while give you the ****s.

DrRedstone

MS-3
2+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2014
KCU - Joplin
Status
Medical Student
I ate dark chocolate (95%), nuts, and dried apricots on my breaks, didn't do an actual lunch. No insulin spike, no post lunch sleepiness, happy test taker :)

Reactions: Taxonomy
Aug 22, 2019
So I ate the Taco Bell the night before and my friends thought I was kinda crazy but it all worked out.

On the test day tho I had Oreos and Cheez-IT. Plus bagel with cream cheese in the morning.

OverlyRomantic

2+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I had 3 eggs in the morning.

Took a turkey sandwich and a clif bar with me. Ate them during my breaks. Also had mio energy for caffeine. Worked perfectly for me.

Sep 10, 2018
Took new comsae 101 today and I'm kinda devastated with 445 score. I wouldn't be complaining if it was pre-dedicated score, but my exam is in 10 days.
I did all of 2800 questions of UW with 55% average (and read all explanations), created a folder with wrong answers/explanations and HY tables from UW), Savarese x2 with OMM only questions from combank (got 90% on OMM questions), x2 FA, Pathoma, x2 Sketchy Micro and Pharm, also did 1 pass of some HY books (Physiology, Neuro, Anatomy).
I thought I was solid, but apparently not even close.
I'm scarred, because honestly comsae had a lot of 1-2 sentence stems and I suspect comlex might have longer stems and more convoluted questions. I also saw on this thread couple students got less than their comsae score. At this point I'm just hoping to pass miraculously. I can't postpone it anymore, my school won't let me. I had more time for dedicated than average student and yet I'm no where close to even sub-average 500 that I thought I might get on comsae after all this studying. I did feel that majority of what I learned in UW wasn't even asked to be honest on comsae. It was mostly some minutae details and lots of things not in UW even.
Sorry for the rant. I just don't know what to think anymore.

Aug 22, 2019
Took new comsae 101 today and I'm kinda devastated with 445 score. I wouldn't be complaining if it was pre-dedicated score, but my exam is in 10 days.
I did all of 2800 questions of UW with 55% average (and read all explanations), created a folder with wrong answers/explanations and HY tables from UW), Savarese x2 with OMM only questions from combank (got 90% on OMM questions), x2 FA, Pathoma, x2 Sketchy Micro and Pharm, also did 1 pass of some HY books (Physiology, Neuro, Anatomy).
I'm scarred, because honestly comsae had a lot of 1-2 sentence stems and I suspect comlex might have longer stems and more convoluted questions. I also saw on this thread couple students got less than their comsae score. At this point I'm just hoping to pass miraculously. I can't postpone it anymore, my school won't let me. I had more time for dedicated than average student and yet I'm no where close to even sub-average 500 that I thought I might get on comsae after all this studying. I did feel that majority of what I learned in UW wasn't even asked to be honest on comsae. It was mostly some minutae details and lots of things not in UW even.
If you have access to COMBANK please do it. The real deal is much closer to the COMBANK qbank than uworld. I personally found that uworld made me overthink questions and get them wrong.
445 on 101 is good! i personally think that the COMSAEs under-predict if you took them honestly (timed not looking things up). I got a 405 on 105 (2 weeks out) and 525 on the real deal. So stay positive! Others before you have passed why not you?

Aug 22, 2019
Hey keep chipping at it. I know that it can be hard but you are doing all the right things... Qbanks, using the right resources etc...

Just gotta trust that you know your stuff and don't get flustered on the test day and you will be fine. At the end of the day there are 400 Qs and if you come across something that you don't know...just guess and move on since there are plenty of other Qs to make up for the missed ones.

From what I have seen, new COMSAE underpredict drastically. I've seen them underpredict by ~100 to about 150 points. I got 578 on COMSAE 103 and ended up with a 770. So far only very few people I've seen that did worse than their COMSAE, however majority outperform their COMSAEs.

If I had to guess with that COMSAE score, currently you are looking atleast 525+ on the real deal.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2019
Guys if you know someone who goes to Texas A&M can you please PM me? I need a favor with something that will help whole community here :)

May 30, 2019
Status
Medical Student
If you have access to COMBANK please do it. The real deal is much closer to the COMBANK qbank than uworld. I personally found that uworld made me overthink questions and get them wrong.
445 on 101 is good! i personally think that the COMSAEs under-predict if you took them honestly (timed not looking things up). I got a 405 on 105 (2 weeks out) and 525 on the real deal. So stay positive! Others before you have passed why not you?
Do you know comquest is close to the real deal too? Before combank updated, people preferred comquest but not sure which is preferred with the blueprint.

Aug 22, 2019
Do you know comquest is close to the real deal too? Before combank updated, people preferred comquest but not sure which is preferred with the blueprint.
I didn’t know that- thats great! More practice that is representative. I didnt buy comquest for level one (i have it for the comats) because #poor

May 30, 2019
Status
Medical Student
I didn’t know that- thats great! More practice that is representative. I didnt buy comquest for level one (i have it for the comats) because #poor
I bought it because we got a huge discount and people preferred it over combank then but combank did an update and I’m hearing they’re more representative. Don’t quote me on that though, maybe people who have done both can comment on that.

Sep 10, 2018
Am I correct assuming question stem length on comlex is variable and there are plenty of short 1-3 liners (similar to comsae)? I'm thinking it has to be that way, so you can save time on shorter stems and use it on longer questions. Otherwise, if it really was like people are describing (I'm thinking they are a bit exaggerating) then no one would have finished it in time, no?

J_money

2+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2016
Am I correct assuming question stem length on comlex is variable and there are plenty of short 1-3 liners (similar to comsae)? I'm thinking it has to be that way, so you can save time on shorter stems and use it on longer questions. Otherwise, if it really was like people are describing (I'm thinking they are a bit exaggerating) then no one would have finished it in time, no?
Yeah it’s pretty similar to the new COMSAEs in terms of stem length. The question stems aren’t really the issue it’s moreso the fact that you have to answer 50 questions in an hour. I definitely spent like 3-4 even 5 minutes on some questions and I was OK on time.

J_money

2+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2016
Figured I’d post my numbers since I’m here and just got score back.

COMSAE E ( March) 411
101 (June) 422
104 (mid July) 427

COMLEX (Aug) 474

Slightly disappointed in my score as I’m really pulling for EM but legit thought I failed and told myself I’d be cool with anything above a 400 so I’m not going to dwell on it. Planning on taking step during my vacation rotation in a couple months.

Sep 10, 2018
Figured I’d post my numbers since I’m here and just got score back.

COMSAE E ( March) 411
101 (June) 422
104 (mid July) 427

COMLEX (Aug) 474

Slightly disappointed in my score as I’m really pulling for EM but legit thought I failed and told myself I’d be cool with anything above a 400 so I’m not going to dwell on it. Planning on taking step during my vacation rotation in a couple months.
What qbank you used and do you think UFAPS still works?
Thanks

May 30, 2019
Status
Medical Student
In general, did you guys feel like the questions were straight forward enough or were there lots of gotcha questions? I find myself second guessing at times. Working on UFAP with comquest/combank thrown in for OMM stuff. Hopefully I learn enough to pass.

Noisewater-TDX

The Grumpiest Of Them All
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2014
North Carolina
Status
Medical Student
In general, did you guys feel like the questions were straight forward enough or were there lots of gotcha questions? I find myself second guessing at times. Working on UFAP with comquest/combank thrown in for OMM stuff. Hopefully I learn enough to pass.
1/3rd were clear as mud. 1/3rd were straightforward. 1/3rd I just didn't study well enough to know or care about.

NecrotizingFasciitis

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status
Medical Student
What qbank you used and do you think UFAPS still works?
Thanks
Agreed w/ above: UFAPS is all you need to do well on the exam.

For OMT: skim savarese, or power through the "Turn Up 2 OMT" Anki deck on Reddit (if you hate reading like I do) a couple days before which will be plenty enough review for the OMT.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018
q.jpg

This is from free demo nbme on their website, just wanted to address copyright issue before I ask question.

Does anyone know the correct answer here? I'm lost, because it's worded in a peculiar way that I am not even sure which dysfunction to address as they listed so many?

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
View attachment 280250

This is from free demo nbme on their website, just wanted to address copyright issue before I ask question.

Does anyone know the correct answer here? I'm lost, because it's worded in a peculiar way that I am not even sure which dysfunction to address as they listed so many?
She has colon problems so I would pick L2

PorkChopsOG

2+ Year Member
May 21, 2017
Status
Medical Student
View attachment 280250

What were your omm exams like in school? This is a pretty basic viscerosomatic example. Questions like the one you just listed are plentiful on COMLEX.