USMLE Official 2019 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

Discussion in 'Step I' started by libertyyne, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Epicurusall

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Woah now, don't be silly. If our schools wanted us to succeed and actually taught us the content we needed, while also having people to pass, we would end up with many more competent physicians. You wouldn't want that, would you?

2. OP
    OP
    libertyyne

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    its not that simple. Last I checked there was no relationship between step scores and quality of physicians.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    redsox93 likes this.
  3. Epicurusall

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The correlation that is drawn is step 1 performance and ability to pass future in-house and licensing examinations.

And specifically I was referring to the post where professors were failing 5-15% of the class intentionally...

I think you may have misinterpreted my post and assumed I was linking a higher step score to a better quality physician, when instead I was saying that it would be appreciated if professors wanted us to learn the material well, do well in class, do well on boards, and understand the pathophys and treatment for diseases of our future patients.

4. medicineman1234

Medical Student
    Yep. Not sure if our school gains anything from failing and making people pay tuition again, but it almost seems purposeful. We sometimes get exams where there are 5 options or more, select the true answers. The stems aren't even NBME based, and some of the select all that apply answer choices are actually just statistics (what % of people in 2018 have a stroke) or other useless facts (what complication did we think USED TO be caused by this bacteria (but actually doesn't). Or even tests based on the specifics of medical testing BRANDS (not like flow cytometry analyzes what, but what flow cytometry product do we use and it just lists a bunch of trademarked products). So you could know everything about a pathology and miss one of the above bull**** facts I listed above thrown in to wreck the curve and fail people if you didn't select it or selected it as a guess. IDK if any other school is like this it's ridiculous.

Oh and this has occured for more than 5 years and faculty just say "we all had it tough in the past suck it up" when people question these things or any reasonings.

#654 medicineman1234, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Gurby, Epicurusall and FindersFee5 like this.
  5. redsox93

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Wow I’ve never been more greatful to go to a school with NBME exams haha

6. OP
    OP
    libertyyne

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i highly doubt that an LCME school is failing 5-15% of the class intentionally to keep them back a year. Schools get dinged for this from the LCME. Yes professor written exams suck, but most of the time they try to do their best with the time and resources and directive they have. And lets be clear the material we learn here, some may be relavent but a vast majority of it will be expunged from our brains by the time we graduate, even step related "high yield" .

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    redsox93 likes this.
  7. redsox93

2+ Year Member

I hope to expunge the vast majority of it tomorrow around 5PM

8. Vrachika

Vrachika SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

And here I was feeling good about my 230 on NBME 13 4 months out :D:bow:
    Still pleased with my performance though, my only goal was to "pass" it.

9. datum

Kaplan: 71%
    UW: 78%
    Rx: 85%

CBSE: 250
    NBME 13: 238
    NBME 19: 238
    NBME 15: 242
    UWSA1: 264
    NBME 16: 250
    NBME 17: 246
    NBME 18: 242
    Free 120: 89%
    UWSA2: 260

Step 1: 252

Good luck, everyone!

10. watermelon master

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    +10 over the average of your NBMEs. Nice :)

11. Gurby

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Actual footage of me locking myself in for more research responsibility 4 months before Step 1:

[​IMG]

12. Frogger27

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Anyone have a good 3 month dedicated study plan out there that includes Uworld Q's, pathoma, FA, sketchy, etc?

13. redsox93

2+ Year Member

Welp it’s over. Overall I felt it was pretty manageable, I used only UFAPS and would say it covered ~85% of what I saw. I had an anatomy heavy test which kinda sucked but I also feel like a lot of the anatomy was straightforward combined with some wtf questions I never would’ve known. I did have a really crappy test experience though, the internet went down during my first block so that threw me off. And then during my last block this guy kept falling asleep and was the loudest snorer in the world. So that sucked. But as for the actual test I’d say it was doable. I don’t feel great about it but I guess no one does. Overall I’m glad it’s over

HFlash, sunshinefl, Scrubs101 and 4 others like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    libertyyne

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Im sure you killed it dude

Scrubs101 and redsox93 like this.
  15. redsox93

2+ Year Member

I hope so. These next few weeks are gonna go by slow haha

Gurby likes this.
  16. step1onyou

Medical Student
    Congrats on being done!! Did you do any other qbanks other than UW? How long was your dedicated period for? Thank you!

17. redsox93

2+ Year Member

I did Kaplan right before dedicated just going through one block a day. Didn’t really use rx except for a few questions but didn’t really like it. It seemed most similar to uworld with super long passages haha. But a lot of the passage was just normal physical exam and vitals. At least I hope they were normal I kinda stopped reading them towards the end haha. Dedicated was 5 weeks

step1onyou likes this.
  18. step1onyou

Medical Student
    Thanks for the response! Did you stick to UFAPS for dedicated? What did you think of Kaplan?

19. redsox93

2+ Year Member

Only UFAPS yeah. Kaplan was good. I would say it definitely helped me out going into Uworld. But idk how much of it I actually remembered going into the real thing.

Gurby likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    libertyyne

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Here is a question for all the Zanki-ites. Does zanki spoil uworld percentage as a predictor? Since zanki factoids seem positioned to answer uworld questions or are based on uworld questions.

21. alprazoslam

People who say they do like 2k cards a day and do like 40 uworld questions an hour are lol. I can do max 100 uworld a day for both step 1 and 2 and the people in my class Do blew threw uworld in a couple weeks didn’t even do good. Took me a couple months but paid off >270+

TLDR version - slow the **** down

22. OP
    OP
    libertyyne

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    how many cards did you do per day before step?

23. Neopolymath

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I personally don't feel like it matters because UW does such an excellent job of testing you on applying a fact not remember the fact. In that regard, I don't think doing Zanki cards for UW "spoils" anything as some people say. You still have to recall the fact, apply it, and then review it. If you get the question right, great! You managed to connect the dots which is the whole point and it reinforced the concept in your brain via question stem. If you get it wrong you just learned something new and you won't miss it again. I do not buy the idea that it matters. You get to the same place.

Percentage wise, yes it will slightly change it. If you only studied UFAPS and then did UW there are concepts you will not be exposed to at all before reading a question. Naturally if you are aware of a disease or fact you will have a higher chance of getting the question right. Percentages don't matter for the reasons they are often brought up IMO. It should be to show progress and maybe it makes us feel good to read that the guy who got 250 had 74% and SO DO WE so we will have a good shot at 250, but ultimately I don't think it being inflated a tad means anything.

24. alprazoslam

Didn’t use anki for step one but for step 2 I can do maybe a couple hundred new a day. Using wiwa plus my self made ones added

I used as an example bc we had people do 5 q banks and make sub 220 so apparently they never read anything besides the question lol. 20k practice questions yet no remembrance of what was needed.

Less is more

25. alprazoslam

I would not stress on percentile bc I ended at 89-90 but people who did way less first run thru percentile stilll broke 260. At least those who properly reviewed

26. FindersFee5

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Anybody know what resources Zanki drew from for his neuro deck? I'm going to start going through it soon and I can't find what Kaplan review source he used or what the misc or path sections came from.

27. step1onyou

Medical Student
    Thanks for the response! Any idea on how best to prepare for the anatomy? Seems like its a big part of the exam nowadays

28. redsox93

2+ Year Member

Covered almost everything

Epicurusall, fldoctorgirl and Gurby like this.
  29. Freshstart91

Medical Student
    EDIT:
    NBME 15 1/10/19: 186 (33 points in 2.5 months, lets see how the next few weeks go, hoping for the best)

30. OP
    OP
    libertyyne

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Any suggestions on getting better at Biochem and genetics? I suck at those two subjects.

Neopolymath likes this.
  31. watermelon master

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    boards and beyond

redsox93, aymar and Scrubs101 like this.
  32. Diphyllobothrium latum

The NBME website changed its entire layout to a brand new modern look! They literally changed everything!

...except for their awful reviewing system, where you have to go through every single question multiple times and have no actual way to track what you 've done so far. Thanks, NBME.

33. RonSwanson's Gold

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Im starting dedicated in a couple weeks and am struggling with First Aid. Everyone says just to read it but I feel like that is very inefficient and I retain very little. I tried watching boards and beyond alongside it but that feels so passive. Did anyone else struggle with this/what did you do to learn it?

34. redsox93

2+ Year Member

I didn't read too much of first aid. I mainly focused on uworld and pathoma. But I did watch some boards and beyond during dedicated on subjects I felt weak on. And I would usually follow along in FA and take notes when I did that. But that was only for a few subjects. I don't think reading all of first aid is necessary as long as you read and understand the explanations to uworld questions and cover everything in pathoma.

Gurby and libertyyne like this.
  35. OP
    OP
    libertyyne

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    does anyone else hate RX?
    My averages in Uworld and Kaplan are almost 10 points higher.

Scrubs101, FindersFee5 and neurodjent like this.
  36. neurodjent

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I really really don’t like RX. It has horrible categorization and weird questions. My average on Rx is lower than my Uworld average. I actually find uworld to be a lot easier than Rx.

libertyyne likes this.
  37. OP
    OP
    libertyyne

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thanks. I thought i was going insane. I always heard that RX was the easier, but the questions are confusing, and rely upon remembering one small detail in FA vs applying the information.

38. Scrubs101

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Havent touched anything else yet, but i do Rx and my buddy does Uworld and when I show him some Rx questions he usually says Uworld would have given more hints. Rx does seem to be very heavy one “know this one word in first aid or you get it wrong” type thing. Not sure if this is true or not because i havent done kaplan or uworld but its a possibility.

libertyyne likes this.
  39. silverizon

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Total prep time 3 months. No actual dedicated period. Doing final year MBBS, so going through rotations (+ finals) and studying only half days every weekday, full day every weekend.

9/1 NBME 16 - 205
    12/1 NBME 17 - 228
    15/1 NBME 19 - 205
    17/1 Free120 - 78%
    18/1 UWSA1 - 243
    19/1 NBME 18 - 223
    21/1 UWSA2 - 237
    Real deal - 245

Don't judge me for my NBME timings. I literally was doing everything wrong for Step 1. Don't even have a Uworld average score because I was using it wrong (system-based, tutor mode, and referring to books for all questions to get the answer).
    Was very close to postponing my exam date but my mother told me to shut up, stop whining and sit for it the day that I was supposed to.
    Am still in shock over my score. Was hoping for 220+ by the time I sat for the test.

40. step1onyou

Medical Student
    Congrats!! What resources and qbanks did you use? Also, what did you think of the real deal compared to the practice exams? Thanks!!

41. silverizon

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thank you! I used UWorld 1.5x. As I said, the first time I did UWorld, I used it wrong. Then I subscribed to Rx for 1 month and did around 50% of it. Before I reset my Uworld (forgot to go through my incorrects first) and did a second pass on half of the questions, average 75%.

For me, I felt like the real deal was nothing like Uworlds or NBME's at all. While doing the first block, I felt like I was doing an exam that's not step 1 LOL. But 2-7 was definitely step 1 so I just assume most of block 1 were experimental questions. I felt like they did test quite a number of non-'high yields' (prob 1/4th). Half the questions (maybe more) were me selecting out answers that were definitely wrong down to 2-3 options and selecting the more likely of them. Definitely felt like I don't know the exact answer for 1/3rd of the questions on step.

Gurby likes this.
  42. step1onyou

Medical Student
    Thanks for the response! Did you do Boards and Beyond or just stick to First Aid/Pathoma/Sketchy?

43. Gurby

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Seems like a pretty reasonable way to use it to me.

Scrubs101, libertyyne and silverizon like this.
  44. silverizon

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Unfortunately, no I did not do BnB. But it is one of the things I wish I'd done. I just didn't have the time.
    Basically, things I did was UFAP, Sketchy and Goljan audio lectures.
    Things I did not do but wish I did, BnB and Zanki. Probably would've helped me understand the concepts better and would've saved me a lot of anxiety over the last 2 weeks.

libertyyne and Gurby like this.
  45. silverizon

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It did help because it felt like I was reviewing some parts of FA over and over. e.g. if the answer is to be found under RNA translation, I'll re-read the whole translation part.
    But I realised that my test taking skills weren't improving that way (time management, cancelling out the unlikely answer options first).

sunshinefl and Gurby like this.
  46. Scrubs101

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Lol just got back into the thick of it for school (our “hardest class”), studied boards materials 2 days in the past 8 days, skipped gym 4/8 days, and still got the lowest exam grade ive gotten in all of med school RIP

See yall in 3 months to get back to it, hopefully i dont lose too much of my progress from these past two months feels good knowing my school is actively working against my ability to succeed

47. Diphyllobothrium latum

For anyone feeling like ruining their day and wondering what the infamous "wtf" questions are all about, try doing blocks of 40 social science questions from Kaplan. Let's just say there's literally 100 questions on patient safety, which is barely more than 1 page in FA.

48. aymar

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Help: if I am only going to take 4 NBME's, which should I drop (15, 19, 16, 17, 18 )?

Agent Michael Scarn likes this.
  49. NecrotizingFasciitis

NecrotizingFasciitis SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have a friend that told me yesterday about that exam. RIP fam. *pours one out for the homies* They did ya’ll dirty.

Scrubs101 and Gurby like this.
  50. silverizon

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Of the 5, I did not do 15. So I would say if you had to drop one, 15 then.

But I would recommend doing all 5. If you can't find a time to actually take 15 like a practice test, at least go through the questions together with answers briefly. Because I felt that the NBMEs do help on the real test.