USMLE Official 2019 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets get this started.
M2. Mid Tier everything.
Entertaining some surgical sub-specialties.

Goal 270
Happy with 245

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
I personally had a really hard time reviewing old cards during 2nd year. I tried, but there was just so much new information to cover.

Yeah that’s what I’m a bit concerned about. I still have about 12.6k cards to unlock in the path and phys deck not including the micro and pharm deck so I’ll be ramping up the number of new cards per day and I don’t want to cap my reviews but the number of reviews could easily get to be overwhelming. How did you manage this during second year?

Yeah that’s what I’m a bit concerned about. I still have about 12.6k cards to unlock in the path and phys deck not including the micro and pharm deck so I’ll be ramping up the number of new cards per day and I don’t want to cap my reviews but the number of reviews could easily get to be overwhelming. How did you manage this during second year?
By not really doing them. If I could do it over again, I'd make a review deck of high yield anatomy, etc. to make sure you cover things you had trouble with or you think is important. Some days I would spend 2 hours+ doing my cards for the day for my current system blocks, so old reviews were not going to happen.

Reactions: 1 user
Apologize for a bit off topic, but was here anyone with UW 1st pass average at 55% who passed step1? Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Apologies for the never ending questions, but what anatomy is most HY for boards? I just updated Zanki and have the MSK and neuroanatomy decks which are each a significant chunk of cards so I'm wondering if I can narrow my anatomy focus a bit and cut down on the number of cards to do. We have done all anatomy in class except the leg and I am now wishing I had these decks this past year for anatomy review!

Haven't been on here in a while. I'll update when I receive my score, but predictor had me at about 247. I did NBMEs in numerical order, one a week from about 7 weeks out

NBME 18: 217
NBME 20: 225
UWSA1: 249
NBME 21: 240
NBME 22: 234
NBME 23: 240
NBME 24: 244
UW 1st pass: 73%
UWSA2: 248
Free 120: 88%

Was truly a lazy student first two years, so I learned everything in my 7 weeks of dedicated and was proud of the jump. Went into dedicated aiming for 230-240 (my dream speciality is very non competitive thank goodness). I think I probably underperformed during the exam, so I'm glad for the prediction buffer? Could not sleep until about 4:30 am the night before (lol morning of?); it took me till the third block to feel like I was fully present.

Question for you - what is this permit trick thing? My permit link is up but when I click it tells me it's unavailable. I don't think that means it's gone because I only took my exam on 7/11.. Usually three weeks to go for report yeah? I'm so not on top of this but am now so nervously awaiting score

Just updating - real deal 252!!! I was honestly just hoping for a 230... as time went on I kept remembering more and more things I got wrong, and by this morning, I was basically like, please be at least 215. What a pleasant surprise!!!!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
1564872643021.png

Reactions: 2 users
Just surprised of the difference between the two. Somewhat of an anomaly. Maybe uworld is more conceptual, and step 1 factual. And he doesn’t crack under pressure. Happy for him.
What's the appropriate score for 58% in your experience? I'm just asking because I'm right there and I'm just wondering if I should take step1 or just keep somehow improving while on rotations and take it later. I'm a DO student.
I haven't taken nbme yet, as I was all focused on comlex and now I'm on IM rotation and I doubt I'll have time and energy for nbme - I'm barely coming home alive lol after rotation.

What's the appropriate score for 58% in your experience? I'm just asking because I'm right there and I'm just wondering if I should take step1 or just keep somehow improving while on rotations and take it later. I'm a DO student.
I haven't taken nbme yet, as I was all focused on comlex and now I'm on IM rotation and I doubt I'll have time and energy for nbme - I'm barely coming home alive lol after rotation.
According to the graph on reddit, it looks around 229. The data is better for the higher scorers and it doesn’t account for timed, random blocks either. It may not be as good of a predictor as practice tests but it was actually pretty spot on for me

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the graph on reddit, it looks around 229. The data is better for the higher scorers and it doesn’t account for timed, random blocks either. It may not be as good of a predictor as practice tests but it was actually pretty spot on for me

Me too. All that reddit info was pretty much on point for me and a lot of people I know.

Reactions: 1 users
First 4 exams were a week apart
Nbme 20 baseline (7 weeks out): 196
Nbme 21: 205
UW1:220
UW2:226
Nbme 18(3-4 days out): 230
Step 1: 225

Realistically what are my chances for anesthesia and gen surg? Would like gas in the south but would take surg most places. Still waiting on comlex

Reactions: 8 users
Predict me? Just took step 1 yesterday, what a trip. I think it went pretty well, hard to tell. Background DO student middle third of class.

CBSE school baseline - 210 (9 weeks out)
UWSA1 - 243 (6 weeks out)
NBME 15 - 215 (5 weeks out)
NBME 16 - 218 (4 weeks out)
NBME 23 - 223 (3 weeks out)
UWSA2 - 243 (2 weeks out)
NBME 18 - 215 (2 weeks out)
NBME 20 - 225 (1 week out)
Free 120 - 83% (1 week out)
UW First pass 72%

Goal is 240, but would be very happy with anything >230

Just got my score, 242 on the real deal!

Reactions: 11 users
Just got back after giving the exam! Am i Happy or what..! Not that it was that good, but definitely happy to be done with it. :D

DO student. Average grades. Took a medical leave after start of M1.

My NBMEs/UWSAs:
16- 223
UWSA 1 - 228
17- 236
18- 273 (No clue how that happened)
UWSA 2 - 247
Free 120: 90%

Real Deal: 209

Was really frustrated and tearful when I got my score. Gonna try to buckle down this year and do well on all the shelves and Step 2/Comlex Level 2. Waiting to hear what I got on Comlex. Hopefully it's better. I think I may have choked and made a ton of stupid mistakes; it happens and I'm doing my best to be positive.

Was gonna try to do anesthesia or OB/GYN initially, but I would be content on matching into an IM program and doing a fellowship eventually. Might still apply for anesthesia and OB with IM but I'm not gonna try to push my luck. Any advice appreciated! And congrats to everyone on their stellar scores!

Realistically what are my chances for anesthesia and gen surg? Would like gas in the south but would take surg most places. Still waiting on comlex
I think you could get a decent anesthesia spot if you kill the shelves and step 2/comlex 2. General surgery might be harder, but keep your head up, get good evals, and make sure you bump up on the next board exam.

according to the interactive charting outcomes: 97% chance of matching anesthesiology, 45% chance of matching gen surg (for 225 Step 1)

Mid-Tier School, 73% UWorld First Pass

CBSE (School-Administered, 5 Months Out): 167
UWSA 1 (3.5 Months Out): 213
NBME 21 (1.5 Months Out): 209
NBME 23 (3.5 Weeks Out): 228
UWSA 2 (17 Days Out): 254
NBME 18 (10 Days Out): 263
Free 120 (4 Days Out): 98%
NBME 16 (Offline, 3 Days Out): 259
NBME 17 (Offline, 2 Days Out): 259
Step 1 (July 23): 232

I have to admit, I was a little bummed out after getting my score today especially given my performance on practice tests. Nonetheless, I think I am competitive enough for most IM programs, especially ones at my home institution. I'm hoping to eventually specialize in cardiology or GI in the future.

Reactions: 3 users
DO Student at one of the older schools

EDIT: I forgot, my lowest NMBE was 202 lol

NBME 21 (5/26/19): 202
NBME 18 (6/19/19); was expiring so took it early): 217
NBME 19 (6/22/19): 219
NBME 24 (7/05/19): 240
UWSA 1 (7/14/19): 245
NBME 20 (7/18/19): 238
UWSA 2 (7/23/19): 245
Free 120 (7/24/19): 86%
UWorld Percentage: 79.7% (dropped during the last 2 weeks, kinda freaked out; also had ~150 Q left to do)
Kaplan Percentage: ~73% (used as a learning and throwaway Qbank)

Step 1 (7/25/19): 246

I know its not the best score, but I think I'm okay with my score. Reddit Predictor had me a bit higher than my actual score. Not looking to do do anything crazy competitive. Honestly, I'm on Fam Med rotation right now and I can see myself doing that.

Let me know if you guys want a detailed review of my dedicated studying, any other questions, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
DO Student at one of the older schools

EDIT: I forgot, my lowest NMBE was 202 lol

NBME 21 (5/26/19): 202
NBME 18 (6/19/19); was expiring so took it early): 217
NBME 19 (6/22/19): 219
NBME 24 (7/05/19): 240
UWSA 1 (7/14/19): 245
NBME 20 (7/18/19): 238
UWSA 2 (7/23/19): 245
Free 120 (7/24/19): 86%
UWorld Percentage: 79.7% (dropped during the last 2 weeks, kinda freaked out; also had ~150 Q left to do)
Kaplan Percentage: ~73% (used as a learning and throwaway Qbank)

Step 1 (7/25/19): 246

I know its not the best score, but I think I'm okay with my score. Reddit Predictor had me a bit higher than my actual score. Not looking to do do anything crazy competitive. Honestly, I'm on Fam Med rotation right now and I can see myself doing that.

Let me know if you guys want a detailed review of my dedicated studying, any other questions, etc.
Congrats, you worked hard on top of dealing with our curriculum

How were you able to test so late? You can PM me if you want, just curious as a fellow KCU student trying to plan out my summer before rotations lol
For any DO school you have to schedule COMLEX before a certain date. Most don’t give you a deadline for step. I have friends that weren’t where they wanted to be in practice tests and now are making plans to take it this year (3rd year) so all they took is comlex

Algorithm had me at 232, ended up underperforming at 227. Whatever i think I'm ok for what I want

the algorithm also has me at a ~ 230. But I've been so nervous and anxious post exam. I keep thinking of the uncertantites and stupid mistakes are adding up. hope I didn't underperform by alot. how was your exam/ post experience?

Just a reminder that the median response to the Reddit survey that the algorithm was built off of was like a 242 or something like that. So the algorithm is likely going to be very predictive if you are scoring in that range on practice tests, but once your scores are in the lower end (I would say 210s/20s) or higher end (255+) then the predictive value isn't going to be quite as accurate because it's basically building your score off the people who were scoring in that range on the practice tests yet over performed their averages to get a higher score.

NBME 17 213
UWSA 1 249
NBME 20 213
NBME 22 215
NBME 23 221
NBME 24 232
NBME 18 235
UWSA 2 239

in this order

Did you take 24, 18, and UW2 pretty close to when you took your real test? I predict a 228-235. Don't worry about remembering crap you missed, we all do that, even the crazy people who roll 260s remember questions like that. It almost always works out.

Did you take 24, 18, and UW2 pretty close to when you took your real test? I predict a 228-235. Don't worry about remembering crap you missed, we all do that, even the crazy people who roll 260s remember questions like that. It almost always works out.

yeah took those last 3 within 2 weeks of the exam day. I'm a really fast reader so I had extra time to dwell on those questions during the exam , that's why i'm being haunted by it now lol but yea not hoping for a miracle, that range is fine at this point.

yeah took those last 3 within 2 weeks of the exam day. I'm a really fast reader so I had extra time to dwell on those questions during the exam , that's why i'm being haunted by it now lol but yea not hoping for a miracle, that range is fine at this point.

Yeah I was the exact same way so I feel you. Eventually you'll get to the point where those are the ONLY questions you remember and you will be convinced you failed, but trust your practice scores and most likely will see something between that UW2 score and NBME 24.

IM has such a wide range of quality and competitiveness. DO student with a 250+ on Step 1, several pubs and other extracurriculars. What is the ceiling yall think?

IM has such a wide range of quality and competitiveness. DO student with a 250+ on Step 1, several pubs and other extracurriculars. What is the ceiling yall think?

At least academic mid tier programs. If you network and rotate at some big places, make connections, and get some big letters (this seems to be a common thing among the applicants with “wow” matches) you never know what might happen.

Mid-Tier academic IM really that competitive? How about scores in the 235-245 range? Some of my friends are looking into IM but are pretty clueless at the competitiveness of scores. I have a 246 and have been developing an interest in IM as well. Also, what would be considered mid-tier? Or if you have a PDF of a list or link me to post, that would be great!

Mid-Tier academic IM really that competitive? How about scores in the 235-245 range? Some of my friends are looking into IM but are pretty clueless at the competitiveness of scores. I have a 246 and have been developing an interest in IM as well. Also, what would be considered mid-tier? Or if you have a PDF of a list or link me to post, that would be great!
Although it's 5 years old now, I found this thread DO friendly internal medicine university programs to be very informative.

Mid-Tier academic IM really that competitive?

For DOs yeah. Academic IM is very old school and the higher up the ladder you try and climb the more prestige whoring you will find.

But this isn't to say academic mid-tier IM is an unrealistic goal to shoot for. There are always a handful of them on just about every match list DO schools throw out.

Thats an amazing score! What resources did you use during your dedicated?
Sorry for not seeing this sooner! Mostly just UWorld and Pathoma, really. Didn't do much zAnki during dedicated because of time crunch, except I did use a FA HY review deck which was perfect for the last couple weeks to hammer the big things home. If I could go back and do it again, I would have made Anki cards off of my UWorld notes, that way I was reviewing more routinely. Became tedious to review 130+ pages of hand written notes. Especially when I'd make the same mistake 4-5 days apart -___-

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
TL;DR: B&B is the best thing that ever happened to me, do well in school, buy a second monitor for dedicated, & it's ok if you hate flashcards too.

I am a student who struggled to find my footing in M1 year. Got straight B's (anatomy is, and will always be, the bane of my existence). Started M2 determined to hit the ground running. One of the best things I ever did was buying Boards & Beyond. I truly feel like I owe most of my success during M2 and on Step to Dr. Ryan. Before B&B, I struggled to tie concepts together. I highly recommend it to anyone who feels like they are missing the big picture at times. /end quick plug for the most valuable resource there is, IMO

You'll find a lot of opinions on SDN, but I am a big believer that doing well in class---> doing well on Step 1. My primary focus during M2 was to do well in my classes and learn the material as well as possible. I bought USMLE Rx in August and tried to complete 10-20 questions every day, but didn't devote more than that towards Step prep until 3 months out from my test date. For whatever we were doing in school, I followed along in First Aid and read the associated Pathoma chapters. I did Sketchy Pharm and Micro along with classes. Didn't touch UWorld until about 3 months out. Only did ~200 before dedicated in order to get used to the question style and didn't finish the qbank until two days before my exam.

Things I would do again:
- Keep track of your UWorld progress in an Excel document (HIGHLY recommend a second monitor so you can see UW as you are taking notes). When I got a question wrong/didn't understand why I got it right, I made notes in Excel and made sure to include the question # in case I wanted to look it up later. At the end of each week I sorted the notes by organ system and printed them out. I went system by system, highlighting and taking additional notes on the paper/going back to the associated pages in FA as needed. This helped me to solidify concepts because I felt like I had seen the questions a second time, without actually having to do the Qbank over again.

- ALWAYS do your questions timed. During my last week of dedicated, I also practiced finishing UW blocks with 15-20 mins to spare. I highly recommend doing this, since I felt pressed for time on the real deal.

- Book a vacation so you aren't tempted to move your test date back. You will never feel ready. Unless you are legitimately in danger of failing, don't even give yourself the option.

Things I wouldn't do again:
- During the first few weeks I was determined to stay off social media, not talk to my friends, and only watch Netflix on off days. THIS WAS STUPID. Give yourself breaks, and don't deprive yourself of things you enjoy doing. I spent at least 30 mins a day on Instagram and watched TV whenever I wanted. This helped me stay sane and focused.

- I waited until M2 to get FA. As someone who struggled to understand the "clinically relevant" aspects of M1 year, I wish that I had followed along in FA from the beginning. At least some of those concepts would have been familiar to me come dedicated.

Something you'll find missing from my study plan is Zanki. On SDN, it can sometimes feel like everyone and their mother swears that anki is the best thing since sliced bread. I have always hated flashcards, but drank the koolaid at first. I downloaded the deck, tried it for a week or so, and promptly deleted it. Moral of the story: trust what works for you. I have multiple friends with 250+ scores who never touched a flashcard either.

CBSE (14 weeks out): 205
NBME 16: 219
NBME 19: 211
NBME 17: 242
NBME 18: 250
UW2: 247
UW% (1st and only pass): 70

STEP 1: 245
[/QUO
Congratulations! Thank you so much for the post. I am a M1. I bought boards & beyond for two years. I love ❤️ it. Just want to know if I should get Usmlerx/ qmax. I am worried about may not have time to do Qbanks. Is it worth it? Please advise! Thank you!

Congratulations! Thank you so much for the post. I am a M1. I bought boards & beyond for two years. I love ❤ it. Just want to know if I should get Usmlerx/ qmax. I am worried about may not have time to do Qbanks. Is it worth it? Please advise! Thank you!

Hi there- I would definitely recommend a Qbank, and USMLERx worked well for me to help me learn First Aid along with my class material during M2. But like I said, I only did 10 or so questions a day during M2 year. Didn't even finish it. During M1 year, I think your primary concern should be classwork.... save question banks until next year or this summer at the very earliest.

I think its awesome you are starting B&B so early!

Thank you so much! I will use Usmlerx & B&B along with my class material. Any other recommendations in terms of material and tips for M1&M2?

Medical student from Sweden (Karolinska, which ranks slightly below Harvard in top 6 medical universities in the world. No idea if this will help me in getting my IM spot...). Goal is IM and maybe fellowship within pulm/cc or heme/onc if I don't enjoy the internist life...

NBME22 before dedicated: 222
UWSA1 week 2/8 dedicated: 247
UWSA2 week 7/8 dedicated: 243
Step 1: 233

During the exam, I felt 100 % sure on every question in each block except for 7-8 which I marked. Yet, I end up with 233. No word can emphasize the extent of my sorrow right now ;(

Medical student from Sweden (Karolinska, which ranks slightly below Harvard in top 6 medical universities in the world. No idea if this will help me in getting my IM spot...). Goal is IM and maybe fellowship within pulm/cc or heme/onc if I don't enjoy the internist life...

During the exam, I felt 100 % sure on every question in each block except for 7-8 which I marked. Yet, I end up with 233. No word can emphasize the extent of my sorrow right now ;(
can you match into the US in internal medicine with your score as an IMG? The odds are good for you. Will it be a top-tier program? No

Keep your chin up, that is a solid score.
1567624700841.png

Rely on your name, be realistic , on where you apply, lean on your alumni network who are practicing in the states and see where that takes you. The raw numbers indicate a 66% chance, I am unsure how much of a factor the quality of your school will play in selection.

Hey fam,

Got my score back today and I got a 225. Identical to NBME 18 score.

I might post a separate thread with my experience because I took it at the end of my 2nd rotation in 3rd year. I know a lot of students come to the end of dedicated and debate taking it after a slow rotation or pushing all the way to before Step 2. Personally I scored a 211 at the final week of dedicated, I knew I was going to land in that range and opted for my route - took it 2 months into 3rd year. I had OBGYN first and I am pretty sure I got several repro questions correct because of that rotation, so part of me thinks it would have been better to hold out, but I couldn’t take the stress. If you’re reading this and you’re on the fence about delaying, you have to seriously ask yourself if you can handle that exam hanging over you. I could not, those 2 months were a living hell for me. I gained a ton of weight, got severely depressed, and while I bumped my score a bit - I could feel myself losing knowledge elsewhere. The night before the exam I was in a hotel in Gainesville and it was arguably the worst night of my life, I was a FREAKING WRECK. We hang our entire self-worth on this one exam. I’m a guy who took ten years to finish my bachelors, I was kicked out of school twice for falling below a 2.0 gpa (I have 14+ F’s on my undergrad transcripts, talk about imposter syndrome you guys). I felt all of that stress and all of those years of failure just crushing me as I debated whether or not to delay again. Florida had already shut down for Hurricane Dorian, I had a good excuse. But man I knew I literally could not stand delaying that test any further. However messed up I was in that moment, it was only going to be worse the next time. So I went for it and honestly I feel like God was with me - even for that 225 - because that night before was such a mess that I had basically resigned myself to barely passing at best. It feels so good to be done with that exam, I can’t even explain it.

So I guess my advice on delaying is don’t do it unless you are certain you can handle that stress. If you’re utterly bombing NBMEs then put the entire idea of step 1 behind you and focus hard on 3rd year, revisit biochem and all that later and see if you’re ready. Either way don’t let yourself fall apart over this exam, there is more to you and there’s more to life than this one test.

What I plan to do now:
I wanted gen surge so bad, so of course I am disappointed I couldn’t crack 230. I worked 4 years on med/surge before med school and have 3 pubs that make it pretty obvious that’s what I want to do. I also got a 97 in anatomy, did that fellowship and blah blah blah, point is I think I’m going to keep gunning for it and prep an IM/FM back up as well. Both months of surgery for me are my last 2 rotations so I feel like I can work hard and be at the top of my game for good letters when that time comes.

Thank you to the people on SDN who are always nice and encouraging. I am sincerely honored to be pursuing this field with people like you.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey fam,

Got my score back today and I got a 225. Identical to NBME 18 score.

I might post a separate thread with my experience because I took it at the end of my 2nd rotation in 3rd year. I know a lot of students come to the end of dedicated and debate taking it after a slow rotation or pushing all the way to before Step 2. Personally I scored a 211 at the final week of dedicated, I knew I was going to land in that range and opted for my route - took it 2 months into 3rd year. I had OBGYN first and I am pretty sure I got several repro questions correct because of that rotation, so part of me thinks it would have been better to hold out, but I couldn’t take the stress. If you’re reading this and you’re on the fence about delaying, you have to seriously ask yourself if you can handle that exam hanging over you. I could not, those 2 months were a living hell for me. I gained a ton of weight, got severely depressed, and while I bumped my score a bit - I could feel myself losing knowledge elsewhere. The night before the exam I was in a hotel in Gainesville and it was arguably the worst night of my life, I was a FREAKING WRECK. We hang our entire self-worth on this one exam. I’m a guy who took ten years to finish my bachelors, I was kicked out of school twice for falling below a 2.0 gpa (I have 14+ F’s on my undergrad transcripts, talk about imposter syndrome you guys). I felt all of that stress and all of those years of failure just crushing me as I debated whether or not to delay again. Florida had already shut down for Hurricane Dorian, I had a good excuse. But man I knew I literally could not stand delaying that test any further. However messed up I was in that moment, it was only going to be worse the next time. So I went for it and honestly I feel like God was with me - even for that 225 - because that night before was such a mess that I had basically resigned myself to barely passing at best. It feels so good to be done with that exam, I can’t even explain it.

So I guess my advice on delaying is don’t do it unless you are certain you can handle that stress. If you’re utterly bombing NBMEs then put the entire idea of step 1 behind you and focus hard on 3rd year, revisit biochem and all that later and see if you’re ready. Either way don’t let yourself fall apart over this exam, there is more to you and there’s more to life than this one test.

What I plan to do now:
I wanted gen surge so bad, so of course I am disappointed I couldn’t crack 230. I worked 4 years on med/surge before med school and have 3 pubs that make it pretty obvious that’s what I want to do. I also got a 97 in anatomy, did that fellowship and blah blah blah, point is I think I’m going to keep gunning for it and prep an IM/FM back up as well. Both months of surgery for me are my last 2 rotations so I feel like I can work hard and be at the top of my game for good letters when that time comes.

Thank you to the people on SDN who are always nice and encouraging. I am sincerely honored to be pursuing this field with people like you.

225 still puts you in striking distance for GS bro! Work hard, I don't know what your COMLEX is but that will be a factor too. A lot, if not most, of the DO programs are filled with mid-220s/500s applicants.

Reactions: 2 users