USMLE Official 2019 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets get this started.
M2. Mid Tier everything.
Entertaining some surgical sub-specialties.

Goal 270
Happy with 245

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
Does anyone feel like this year is particularly gunnery?

Maybe it is like this every year and SDN + select classmates are all doing so much. It just seems to me that if you aren't maturing Zanki and doing 3 qbanks you're behind and not going to do as well.

Could it be possible that doing all this will still achieve 255+/260+ with maintaining 90th percentile or higher?

Or do you all think we will see a shift upward this year in average score and downward shift in percentiles?
Man I just want a 240 and now I feel finishing zanki plus a qbank before uworld isn't enough. But it's good motivation!

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to give an update (mostly for motivation)

Fell off this week regarding questions. Was really behind with my current block GI. Figured I needed to pass my class before i could worry about boards right now.

Hoping to be back on track after my exam on Monday.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone feel like this year is particularly gunnery?

Maybe it is like this every year and SDN + select classmates are all doing so much. It just seems to me that if you aren't maturing Zanki and doing 3 qbanks you're behind and not going to do as well.

Could it be possible that doing all this will still achieve 255+/260+ with maintaining 90th percentile or higher?

Or do you all think we will see a shift upward this year in average score and downward shift in percentiles?

I don't expect things to change much. I think the real limiting factor is how hard people are willing to work, and I don't imagine that changes much year to year. The number of people each year with the capacity and the desire to grind hard enough to get through Zanki + 3 qbanks is probably very small. I tried really hard to spread the Anki gospel at my school and convince people to use it, helped them get set up and show them how Zanki works, etc. At the end of the day though, most people just aren't willing to put in the time to keep up with it.

And I can't blame them...

I've been conflicted about my Zanki + 3qb plan lately. Rationally, aiming for >260 is likely an inefficient use of time. The sweet spot for Step 1 in terms of benefit:effort ratio is probably the low 250's. If you look at Charting Outcomes, the >260 group actually matches at a lower percentage than does the 251-260 cohort in many specialties. If thinking about trying to match at a top residency program, your research and letters of rec are almost certainly much more important than having a 260 vs a 250. And in terms of effort necessary, the further out on the bell curve you go the harder it becomes and the faster your returns diminish - 84th percentile means you're in the top 16/100 people... 96th percentile means you're in the top 4/100, a group that is 1/4 the size!

I'll probably just keep grinding as planned though, I just can't help it...

2nwqn8.jpg

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't expect things to change much. I think the real limiting factor is how hard people are willing to work, and I don't imagine that changes much year to year. The number of people each year with the capacity and the desire to grind hard enough to get through Zanki + 3 qbanks is probably very small. I tried really hard to spread the Anki gospel at my school and convince people to use it, helped them get set up and show them how Zanki works, etc. At the end of the day though, most people just aren't willing to put in the time to keep up with it.

I've been conflicted about my Zanki + 3qb plan lately. Rationally, aiming for >260 is likely an inefficient use of time. The sweet spot for Step 1 in terms of benefit:effort ratio is probably the low 250's. If you look at Charting Outcomes, the >260 group actually matches at a lower percentage than does the 251-260 cohort in many specialties. If thinking about trying to match at a top residency program, your research and letters of rec are almost certainly much more important than having a 260 vs a 250. And in terms of effort necessary, the further out on the bell curve you go the harder it becomes and the faster your returns diminish - 84th percentile means you're in the top 16/100 people... 96th percentile means you're in the top 4/100, a group that is 1/4 the size!

2nwqn8.jpg

I agree with Gurby completely. I’ve also tried to spread the Anki gospel and Qbank strategy and most medical students don’t want to think about step until a month or two before.

I also don’t think there is a big difference between a 250 or 260, moreover for the specialty I’m interested in a 240 would probably be fine.

However, at the end of the day, I’m just going to keep gunnin’ for the sake of gunnin’

Reactions: 3 users
Time to post an update.

Classes: Going well, almost done for the semester. Once that's done, I'm going to do the Zanki/BnB/Pathoma/FA for the class starting in Jan so that I will already know the material when it begins. That way, I can put a much heavier emphasis on board prep.
Zanki: Grinding every day. About 20% of the deck left before I've seen all of the cards.
Micro: Once classes are over, I am going to start a micro deck and start re-going through Sketchy.

Reactions: 2 users

2nwqn8.jpg
So I figure using q-banks is kind of pointless for me till second year, because our curriculum is just normal physio first year, then path + pharm etc second year. I've pretty much decided that I want to save UWorld entirely for dedicated, so what q-banks do you recommend, and how do you go about using them? For example, would you do 2 q-banks alongside the current block you're in, or just roll through them one by one at your own pace? I know this is kind of premature, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around my plans for next year.

DO students, how are you all scheduling both exams? I'm thinking of taking USMLE first then quickly reviewing OMM before taking COMLEX.

I'm curious of a breakdown between what it would take for someone to go from like 250-260 or 240-250, 230 - 240, 220 -230 etc. Like what the average person who gets a 220 or 230 or 240 or 250 uses to prep, how long, hours per day, etc. barring outliers who memorize things in 2 takes.

I imagine it's like runescape where between level 1-92 is the same xp as level 92-99, but then I see some people with low baselines go from like 170-240 in 6 weeks while others start at a score and barely move up by 15.

Might get a bit of snark for posting this as an M1, but I want other M1s to know that it's okay to be prepare yourself for step 1 early.

Test day: March of 2020

Goal score: 250

Pre-clinical resources: First Aid, Boards and Beyond, Pathoma, Sketchy Medical, USMLErx, Kaplan Q bank

We have NBME exams, and I skip lectures, learning primarily from Boards and Beyond. I also watch pathoma when it's applicable. I plan on starting sketchy next block when we begin microbiology. I've found that video resources are good for the big picture, but no matter how many times I watch them I still miss the small details. Anki is therefore absolutely crucial to hammer in the details that my mind skips over while processing the greater message of the video content. I do the Lightyear deck because it's so easy to balance it with boards and beyond, my primary video resource. The goal is to have have seen all new LY cards, the micro of the LOLnotacop deck and zanki pharm before dedicated begins. That way I'll have a strong knowledge base and can focus on practice questions during dedicated. For practice Qs, starting next block I plan on using the questions straight from the Rx first aid along with classes. So that if we cover something, I can go to that page on the first aid on USMLErx and do the associated questions. Two week or so before the exam, I will start the Kaplan questions on the broader sections relevant to the exam.

Dedicated resources: U-world and NBME exams.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
So I figure using q-banks is kind of pointless for me till second year, because our curriculum is just normal physio first year, then path + pharm etc second year. I've pretty much decided that I want to save UWorld entirely for dedicated, so what q-banks do you recommend, and how do you go about using them? For example, would you do 2 q-banks alongside the current block you're in, or just roll through them one by one at your own pace? I know this is kind of premature, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around my plans for next year.

I agree, I think you should hold off on QBanks until next year in a traditional M1 phys M2 path curriculum.

I'm also planning to save UWorld for dedicated. I currently have both Rx and Kaplan. My strategy is to finish Zanki phys/path/pharm for a given section before starting QBanks on it. My experience was that Rx was too easy if you are a Zankiier - I found Kaplan to be more useful. Hope to have enough time to get through both, but will prioritize Kaplan if I run short on time.

I'm curious of a breakdown between what it would take for someone to go from like 250-260 or 240-250, 230 - 240, 220 -230 etc. Like what the average person who gets a 220 or 230 or 240 or 250 uses to prep, how long, hours per day, etc. barring outliers who memorize things in 2 takes.

I imagine it's like runescape where between level 1-92 is the same xp as level 92-99, but then I see some people with low baselines go from like 170-240 in 6 weeks while others start at a score and barely move up by 15.

The harsh reality is that in any competitive endeavor, at some point, no matter how much effort you put in, you'll eventually hit a wall where you just don't have the raw intellect/ability to climb any higher. Some people may never be able to break 260 even given 5 years to study. So I think "what it would take for someone to go from 250 -> 260" is going to vary wildly based on how smart the person is, how much time+effort they've put in so far, what their background is, etc.

Reactions: 5 users
Might get a bit of snark for posting this as an M1, but I want other M1s to know that it's okay to be prepare yourself for step 1 early.

Pre-clinical resources: First Aid, Boards and Beyond, Pathoma, Sketchy Medical, USMLErx, Kaplan Q bank

We have NBME exams, and I skip lectures, learning primarily from Boards and Beyond. I also watch pathoma when it's applicable. I plan on starting sketchy next block when we begin microbiology. I've found that video resources are good for the big picture, but no matter how many times I watch them I still miss the small details. Anki is therefore absolutely crucial to hammer in the details that my mind skips over while processing the greater message of the video content. I do the Lightyear deck because it's so easy to balance it with boards and beyond, my primary video resource. The goal is to have have seen all new LY cards, the micro of the LOLnotacop deck and zanki pharm before dedicated begins. That way I'll have a strong knowledge base and can focus on practice questions during dedicated. For practice Qs, starting next block I plan on using the questions straight from the Rx first aid questions directly along with classes. So that if we cover something, I can do questions on that exact topic that day. Two week or so before the exam, I will start the Kaplan questions on the broader sections relevant to the exam.

Man sounds like a great plan, I am taking test August 2019, and lately been thinking about resources for dedication time: Uworld and NBME exams perfect with a little bit of FA in my humble opinion ( a place where one can consolidate all information).

I asked him/her that and they said it could be true. But they said their peers studied harder/knew more minutae. It's all subjective, but this is how I view it:

An average joe who keeps up with zanki and finishes uworld +/- another bank likely isn't going to score below 240. Since the average medical student gets a 229 without putting in those hours and doing many banks on top of that. Now may the zankier be """inefficient""" in relation to their peers? Who knows. But that confidence in putting in the hours and covering huge swaths of information on a regular basis I imagine is pretty nice. I can't imagine retaining anything over the course of more than 4 months without spaced repetition. I'd say it is much more likely for an average joe to get an above average score doing that than coming in with a much lower knowledge base and suddenly developing godlike test taking skills that surpass all knowledge gaps.

Frankly, since this is just a few months of my life anyway, I'll take the "safe" route even if someone who is smarter than me can outscore me on less work or I happen to lose a vacation or 2 for being "inefficient"

The problem with the "safe way" is that there are plenty of people who still struggle (not just to get an above average score, but even to pass) with the "safe way". If the "safe way" works for you to get the score you want, in a time you're willing to take to study, of course there's nothing wrong with that. The whole point in suggested a different way is for people who are not happy with their scores or the time they are taking to study.

Even if you don't agree with me, I really appreciate you saying "him/her", I'm a woman, but almost everyone assumes at first that I'm a man.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, I think you should hold off on QBanks until next year in a traditional M1 phys M2 path curriculum.

I'm also planning to save UWorld for dedicated. I currently have both Rx and Kaplan. My strategy is to finish Zanki phys/path/pharm for a given section before starting QBanks on it. My experience was that Rx was too easy if you are a Zankiier - I found Kaplan to be more useful. Hope to have enough time to get through both, but will prioritize Kaplan if I run short on time.

It's really interesting that you feel this way - I feel almost exactly the opposite!

I'm a dedicated Zanki/Pathoma/Sketchy user. When I do an Rx block after doing the relevant Zanki, I usually get around ~80% (feeling sure about 70%). When I do Kaplan after the block, I get around 95% (although I only feel confident about 75%, usually).

I don't think it's because the Rx questions are necessarily harder than the Kaplan questions, but I do think the Rx filing system is a little sloppier. You can be doing heme questions and get like, a question that requires GI path knowledge to even get to the heme part. And despite everybody talking about Kaplan's left field questions, I feel like I've seen more of those in Rx.

For those of you doing Zanki, I recommend staying up on your cards if you can during the year. Don't just leave the organ system behind just because its over. It will give you a huge advantage during step studying (one thing I wish I did)

Reactions: 9 users

We have NBME exams, and I skip lectures, learning primarily from Boards and Beyond. I also watch pathoma when it's applicable. I plan on starting sketchy next block when we begin microbiology. I've found that video resources are good for the big picture, but no matter how many times I watch them I still miss the small details. Anki is therefore absolutely crucial to hammer in the details that my mind skips over while processing the greater message of the video content. I do the Lightyear deck because it's so easy to balance it with boards and beyond, my primary video resource. The goal is to have have seen all new LY cards, the micro of the LOLnotacop deck and zanki pharm before dedicated begins. That way I'll have a strong knowledge base and can focus on practice questions during dedicated. For practice Qs, starting next block I plan on using the questions straight from the Rx first aid along with classes. So that if we cover something, I can go to that page on the first aid on USMLErx and do the associated questions. Two week or so before the exam, I will start the Kaplan questions on the broader sections relevant to the exam.

I too am an M1 and will take step 1 summer 2020. I also use BnB as s main resource but use zanki instead of LY after trying both. After talking with peeps, I heard it is best to complete all new material for anki 2-3 months before dedicated. I plan to hit UWorld hard then and do incorrects during dedicated. Looking to complete lolnotacop and zanki pharm as well as zanki by then. I wish you the best of luck brother. If we can do this we should be sitting pretty by dedicated

I too am an M1 and will take step 1 summer 2020. I also use BnB as s main resource but use zanki instead of LY after trying both. After talking with peeps, I heard it is best to complete all new material for anki 2-3 months before dedicated. I plan to hit UWorld hard then and do incorrects during dedicated. Looking to complete lolnotacop and zanki pharm as well as zanki by then. I wish you the best of luck brother. If we can do this we should be sitting pretty by dedicated

Those sound like great plans guys. Just make sure you don't stress out if something doesn't go as planned. Not saying it will, but life does get in the way sometime. Setting a goal is great but make sure you guys adjust as you are progressing through studying/practice tests. It just makes for a better mental health style if you aren't agonizing about the arbitrary goal number you set in your mind before you guys have started any pathology or other meaty step 1 material. Best of luck!

Those sound like great plans guys. Just make sure you don't stress out if something doesn't go as planned. Not saying it will, but life does get in the way sometime. Setting a goal is great but make sure you guys adjust as you are progressing through studying/practice tests. It just makes for a better mental health style if you aren't agonizing about the arbitrary goal number you set in your mind before you guys have started any pathology or other meaty step 1 material. Best of luck!

Thanks man! You're right, and things will probably change. I am just trying to get as much done now ahead of time because everyone says M2 takes alot more time

The problem with the "safe way" is that there are plenty of people who still struggle (not just to get an above average score, but even to pass) with the "safe way". If the "safe way" works for you to get the score you want, in a time you're willing to take to study, of course there's nothing wrong with that. The whole point in suggested a different way is for people who are not happy with their scores or the time they are taking to study.

Even if you don't agree with me, I really appreciate you saying "him/her", I'm a woman, but almost everyone assumes at first that I'm a man.
Yea didn't take that into account. And no problem always play it safe haha

DO students, how are you all scheduling both exams? I'm thinking of taking USMLE first then quickly reviewing OMM before taking COMLEX.

I've heard 4-7 days post-USMLE is a solid time to take COMLEX.

Haven't scheduled yet 'cause the end of the semester got me livin' off of bland oatmeal & eggs.

Reactions: 5 users
We go to the same school. I plan to take mine 4-5 days after USMLE. I also think our scheduling is a bit more difficult due to our non-existent dedicated and random possibility of having ACS in June or July. I wish we could go ahead and get a more predictable time line.

How does everyone feel about Kaplan/Rx vs. UWorld in difficulty? I'm going to start in a few weeks and my friends who have started say it's easier than Kaplan and about the same level as Rx. If that's the case, I may start Uworld a bit earlier.

I will be lucky to get 3 weeks of true dedicated with the way our school works. Shockingly they decreased dedicated time starting with class of 2020 because, to put it simply, my school is insane.

I will be lucky to get 3 weeks of true dedicated with the way our school works. Shockingly they decreased dedicated time starting with class of 2020 because, to put it simply, my school is insane.
Same with ours. They changed it this year so there's an "intro to clerkships" class for part of dedicated, so there's only 4ish weeks of true dedicated now. Hoping they change it by the time my class gets to dedicated.

It’s great. Are there any other study materials particularly helpful for you?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Really just the typical ones - boards and beyond, first aid, and pathoma, plus I did Rx qbank alongside systems which definitely helped...I think the most important thing is making sure you understand every piece of information rather than memorizing a lot.

Can i Just say sketchy plus anki of sketchy cards is a magical thing. I was recalling drugs from months ago without any effort. Im wondering if anyone has any thoughts on sketchy path and associated decks?

The best advice for M1's right now imo is just do your cards and do well in school. you will have plenty of time to hash out a plan in m2. Get some research in and build some relationships with attendings in the specialty you want.

Can i Just say sketchy plus anki of sketchy cards is a magical thing. I was recalling drugs from months ago without any effort. Im wondering if anyone has any thoughts on sketchy path and associated decks?

The best advice for M1's right now imo is just do your cards and do well in school. you will have plenty of time to hash out a plan in m2. Get some research in and build some relationships with attendings in the specialty you want.
Personally, I started watching Sketchy Path but NOT doing any cards for it. I just use it as a supplement to zanki and look at the pictures to remember some stuff. I do not personally find it important to memorize more cards saying the say thing about pathology in the end. I do, however, think it is important to see the information presented a different way which is why I started watching the videos. I would use sketchy path cards to help memorize the pictures if you need that but not everyone seems to need that. Hopefully that explanation makes sense.

Also, sketchy plus anki is like steroids.

Reactions: 4 users
Personally, I started watching Sketchy Path but NOT doing any cards for it. I just use it as a supplement to zanki and look at the pictures to remember some stuff. I do not personally find it important to memorize more cards saying the say thing about pathology in the end. I do, however, think it is important to see the information presented a different way which is why I started watching the videos. I would use sketchy path cards to help memorize the pictures if you need that but not everyone seems to need that. Hopefully that explanation makes sense.

I liked sketchy path. Can’t remember anything specific from usmle that I got right from it ( stuff blurre together) but it sure helps in clinicals. A year after watching it haha. Helps on comats and I’m sure it will step 2 also. It’s a great investment for the distant future no matter what. And even if one can’t think of specific instances it helps it’s a great break in the monotony of reading

Can i Just say sketchy plus anki of sketchy cards is a magical thing. I was recalling drugs from months ago without any effort.

Seriously though. I think Zanki is gold overall but the biggest benefit comes from the fact is has sketchy pharm in it. I put the lolo micro deck in my Zanki deck and after watching videos and doing the cards questions on those topics in the qbanks are ridiculously easy. If anyone is concerned about doing the whole deck I would seriously consider even just doing the micro and pharm cards combined with sketchy. The benefit is huge.

That's why I don't agree with people who dismiss SketchyPath as useless because of how long and convoluted the sketches are. Their argument is that it takes the same effort or more to memorize the sketch and the hooks than to memorize a simple list. Sure, that could be true for some people, but the difference is that having an associated relationship with the pathology, symptoms, and physiology will help you recall things way later. I forgot all the dry laundry lists from Boards and Beyond and Pathoma, but all the things I watched Sketchy on are still somewhat there, if not just fuzzy, but Anki remedies this.

I agree with the getting a different take on things because it helps clarify stuff sometimes. But I watch sketchy for retention and have found just watching vids doesnt help that much.

That's why I don't agree with people who dismiss SketchyPath as useless because of how long and convoluted the sketches are. Their argument is that it takes the same effort or more to memorize the sketch and the hooks than to memorize a simple list. Sure, that could be true for some people, but the difference is that having an associated relationship with the pathology, symptoms, and physiology will help you recall things way later. I forgot all the dry laundry lists from Boards and Beyond and Pathoma, but all the things I watched Sketchy on are still somewhat there, if not just fuzzy, but Anki remedies this.
the only concern i have about sketchy path is that conceptual understanding is extremely important, and sketches do tend to provide excellent recall but less conceptual clarity. Is there a deck you are doing for sketchy path.

the only concern i have about sketchy path is that conceptual understanding is extremely important, and sketches do tend to provide excellent recall but less conceptual clarity. Is there a deck you are doing for sketchy path.

I agree. My mainstay method has been to watch Pathoma first as a dirty conceptual first pass, then slowly go through Sketchy afterwards. I don't really use Anki right now unless there's a sketch I have trouble with retaining. I make my own cards in that case but catered to what I have trouble recalling.

What were you doing before?

I was doing so many things the wrong way haha. theres a reason why you saw me doing nothing but anki cards all day in class.

I wasn't un-suspending cards the right way. So I would constantly see things we haven't covered yet or things I wasn't really trying to worry about.

I didn't have the load balancer extension unloaded. So there would be days where I would see a ton of reviews and others I would see none.

etc etc so many things I'm doing wrong. I can only imagine what else I realize I am doing wrong over the next couple months.

I'm really not sure what the hype is about UWorld compared to other question banks. I would say Kaplan >>>> UWorld >> Rx. From the 100 or so questions that I have completed so far, one out of every ten questions is absolute trash. Like 65% chose A, 20% chose B and what do you know the answer is B. The questions repeatedly are trying to trick you to choose the wrong answer, but then the explanations do a horribly inadequate job at actually addressing why choice A was wrong and choice B was correct. Also, the explanations are extremely short which can I guess be good or bad depending on how you want to use the resource. For example, nine times out of ten I can view the entire explanation on one screen without zooming out or scrolling. Pretty discouraged that this is the almighty resource that I was holding out on for the past year and a half.
everyone who takes the test says uworld mimics the real thing, and kaplan doesnt require third order thinking as much.

hi everyone :)

I believe the current NBME practice tests are 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, and 19? (also rumor of 20 coming out in 2019?) + UWSA1 and UWSA2 + Free120

Am I forgetting any?

Last edited:
hi everyone :)

I believe the current NBME practice tests are 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, and 19? (also rumor of 20 coming out in 2019?) + UWSA1 and UWSA2

Am I forgetting any?
I read somewhere that they only keep 6 at a time for the online portion. If 20 comes out, they'll probably drop one of the previous.

There are many more 'offline' NBME forms from the past that you can find in pdfs

I'm really not sure what the hype is about UWorld compared to other question banks. I would say Kaplan >>>> UWorld >> Rx. From the 100 or so questions that I have completed so far, one out of every ten questions is absolute trash. Like 65% chose A, 20% chose B and what do you know the answer is B. The questions repeatedly are trying to trick you to choose the wrong answer, but then the explanations do a horribly inadequate job at actually addressing why choice A was wrong and choice B was correct. Also, the explanations are extremely short which can I guess be good or bad depending on how you want to use the resource. For example, nine times out of ten I can view the entire explanation on one screen without zooming out or scrolling. Pretty discouraged that this is the almighty resource that I was holding out on for the past year and a half.

Yeah but it’s 2500 questions. At least 1800 pages of information in uworld. They don’t try to trick you they preciously pick out details they know people do not know to make you remember things that otherwise would have been missed. They don’t have super easy bs questions like Kaplan and rx. The best questions are those that very few get right. Not BA just bc u didn’t know it

They try to keep it as brief as possible bc it’s hard to remember 2500 questions of information

But if u think it sucks don’t use it and come back after usmle let us know how it goes

Damn, I’m really sorry to have upset you like that.

I might have jumped the gun with my original interpretation of UWorld. It’s very different than RX and Kaplan so it took me some time getting used to especially considering I usually spend the majority of my time learning from the explanations to questions. I’m starting to enjoy using it a lot more, so I should have given it a few days before commenting on it. Never claimed that it sucks. Never claimed that I won’t be using it. I’ve actually stated multiple times that it will be my sole learning resource from here till my exam. Guess I’m stressed and just irritable. Again, I’m sorry for upseting you.
What is your percent correct on Uworld so far? Curious because you said that you were getting 86 and 87% correct on Kaplan and Rx.

Lol yeah I got triggered jk.

One doesn’t realize the godly ness of uworld until after the fact

13 15 16 19 18 17

19, 18 are savage.
17 seems closest predicted 2 under my score this summer 271 vs real 273

I got low 260s on 18 and rest that I took averaged like 265. Did not take 13 or 19 for time reasons

Senpai do you Anki? What do you think was the secret to your success? What was your MCAT score?

Senpai do you Anki? What do you think was the secret to your success? What was your MCAT score?

Mcat was 35ish.

I studyed hard during both years and kept up w first aid and sketchy path pharmacy micro. Did not use flash cards. But I would cover up first aid pages and recite stuff so same thing. Then did uworld and went thru all marked question explanations and wrongs using its flashcard feature as a notebook.
Nearly everything you need is in ufaps.

There was a guy named splitinfinity who made a 272 and I basically did what he did minus the part on pathoma flashcards. Search his post on here and that’s what I did. He explains it better than I can. Only exception is he took test after clerkships and mine prior to clinicals. I never did an official write up bc his post is so informative and negates all other advice on SDN. Everyone knows what material to use but not how to memorize it all. Do what he did and you will remmeber it

Edit: read his post it’s the one best description of how to rock step I’ve seen on SDN and honestly still can’t believe I matched his score.

Just scored 272 on Step 1...

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Mcat was 35ish.

I studyed hard during both years and kept up w first aid and sketchy path pharmacy micro. Did not use flash cards. But I would cover up first aid pages and recite stuff so same thing. Then did uworld and went thru all marked question explanations and wrongs using its flashcard feature as a notebook.
Nearly everything you need is in ufaps.

There was a guy named splitinfinity who made a 272 and I basically did what he did minus the part on pathoma flashcards. Search his post on here and that’s what I did. He explains it better than I can. Only exception is he took test after clerkships and mine prior to clinicals. I never did an official write up bc his post is so informative and negates all other advice on SDN. Everyone knows what material to use but not how to memorize it all. Do what he did and you will remmeber it

Edit: read his post it’s the one best description of how to rock step I’ve seen on SDN and honestly still can’t believe I matched his score.

Just scored 272 on Step 1...

Oh, I'll member...

This is a freaking gold mine, thank you. There are a lot of uncommon pearls of wisdom in there that I'm considering incorporating into my approach.

As of today, I’m currently at 84% on UWorld. I’m doing random, untimed, tutor mode but average about 65 seconds per questions which hopefully means that time constraints aren’t a real issue. I expect my average to bump up, hopefully, to around 87-90% in the next couple weeks based on my performance in the last couple blocks and refreshing up on very simple concepts that I’m getting questions wrong on.

I guess the reason I flipped out on UWorld a couple days ago was that I did relatively poorly on my first couple blocks compared to what I’m used to and starting freaking out. It really is a great resource and I actually enjoy finally being able to use some of the knowledge that I’ve been jamming into my brain with firecracker for the past year and a half that the other question banks didn’t touch on.

I ended right at 90% correct so yeah you should rock it lol