USMLE Official 2019 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets get this started.
M2. Mid Tier everything.
Entertaining some surgical sub-specialties.

Goal 270
Happy with 245

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
Anybody think it would be a mistake to try to work in Kaplan a bit later in the game? I am about 60% done with the Pastest bank (75% correct, recommended to me by a friend who scored well, and it was cheaper than Rx so I went with that to use alongside organ systems) and ~15% through Uworld on just stuff I have already learned (80% correct). I definitely learn best through questions and getting something wrong and calling myself stupid, but I don't know if it would be better to just finish what I have than tossing in Kaplan. Obviously I would prioritize UWx2 over finishing Kaplan for the sake of it. I was considering getting a 1 month Kaplan subscription and hammering a bunch of it over spring break and our relatively easier last block before dedicated just to get more reps. Goal is 250+

A guy at my school did all of Kaplan the week before his step, ended with 250+. He doesn't think of himself as smart either, got a 25 MCAT. I'm just throwing that out there as an example of how late you can do Kaplan. He said he didn't really care for the questions themselves, but it made him numb to doing hundreds of questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Took my first NBME exam this morning. Starting dedicated in a few days.

NBME 15 - 250
UWorld % correct - 87% random (20% done)
This is amazing. Have you taken any more NBMEs recently? What’s your current UW percent? Also, since you’re killin it, mind sharing your current day to day schedule during dedicated?

Just took NBME 19. Hope that what everyone says about it underpredicting is true haha

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Taking NBME 13 tomorrow morning. I can update you on how I do once I get my score back. My UW % fell from a high of 87% two weeks ago to currently 84.5%

My daily schedule has been 50-70 questions of UW a day. That’s it. I’ve learned that it’s much better (for me) to do a few things well than a lot of things mindlessly. I’m also a very slow reader. Reading score on SAT was horrendous like 20th percentile, CARS section on MCAT was like 30th percentile.

I think following any study strategy isn’t that important given that you’re using high yield resources. What really matters is the intensity with which you study. This is the big variable that never gets brought up.
That’s still an awesome UW percentage! Are you doing any anki, FC, B&B, etc, or are you literally just doing only UW during dedicated? I’m sure you’ll kill NBME 13 tomorrow. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

I’m absolutely dreading going back to school. It’s so nice doing my own thing and studying whatever I need/want without school interfering with my mental gainz. I wish it could just be like this all the time.

Anybody else in the same boat???

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 9 users
I’m absolutely dreading going back to school. It’s so nice doing my own thing and studying whatever I need/want without school interfering with my mental gainz. I wish it could just be like this all the time.

I graduated last summer and yet I can totally relate to you. This was me during almost all med school.

Is there a ballpark consensus UWorld percentage that generally points to a 250? Obviously it would be a loose relationship and there are things that can change your percentage based on how you utilize the Qbank. Even so, I was wondering if anyone noticed anything in their preparation?

Is there a ballpark consensus UWorld percentage that generally points to a 250? Obviously it would be a loose relationship and there are things that can change your percentage based on how you utilize the Qbank. Even so, I was wondering if anyone noticed anything in their preparation?

This is an interesting Reddit thread to poke around on. Wonder if there's a more recent version. Obvious bias in who responds to something like this, but still interesting:
https:// www.reddit.com/r/step1/comments/4uej4b/survey_results_2016_usmle_step_1_correlation/

8x2WaU8.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
This is an interesting Reddit thread to poke around on. Wonder if there's a more recent version. Obvious bias in who responds to something like this, but still interesting:
https:// www.reddit.com/r/step1/comments/4uej4b/survey_results_2016_usmle_step_1_correlation/

8x2WaU8.jpg
Interesting. Thanks! I do find this information to be super fluid. Did these people do the questions by organ system thus inflating their scores? Did they do them around dedicated like many people do who believe in saving UWorld? Did these people complete Rx/Kaplan beforehand? There are so many ways to do this that I honestly felt stupid to even ask the question, but I was curious.

My school has a garbage dedicated period so I already started UWorld and will do it twice. I do not believe in saving UWorld and I am not worried about remembering the questions. The second time will be right before the exam and after I have finished a lot more Rx/Kaplan questions etc. I currently do the UWorld on random tutor so there are lots of things I have no covered yet in my curriculum (my curriculum is backloaded and ****ty). I have a lower percentage than I would like, but I feel that some of the reported percentages are high because people are doing them after they have mostly mastered a subject and are sorting them by subject so they are primed to answer questions through that lens. I think that greatly effects performance.

Thank you! I want to do Firecracker during dedicated and if I had the time I definitely would. But with how slow I’m going through UWorld and all the practice exams I need to take, I’ll be lucky to do more than 20-30 cards a day occasionally on my phone. I’m not using Boards and Beyond or any lectures. I might get around to watching the three Sketchy pharm videos I haven’t seen. But yeah just literally only UWorld at this point.

Got another 250 on NBME13. 185/200 questions correct. One question was on a topic I’ve never seen, another question was super tricky. Other than that, the other 13 questions I missed were all ones that greater than 60% of people would be getting right on question banks which is pretty frustrating.

Just been reading your past few posts. Is there a post where you mention what you did pre-dedicated to and what you are doing in dedicated? Your practice scores are amazing so I would really appreciate any insight into prep. Thank you!

!! Pre-clinical is very doable and (fun?) if we're able to efficiently study on our own / use good resources / take time for personal things.

The hardest part of med school (so far) is dealing with the BS that most of these schools are adding onto our daily grind (joke is on me because I'm paying them to do this).

I don't need the school for pre-clinical studies (I would pay for pre-clinical training). In my perfect world, we self-study up to step 1 and (pay?) for some pre-clinical training before m3, pay for m3? (slavery), and do our own thing m4 (lol at the thought that we will pay the school to let us pay more for aways and travels).

// end rant, thanks for listening all :)

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you! I want to do Firecracker during dedicated and if I had the time I definitely would. But with how slow I’m going through UWorld and all the practice exams I need to take, I’ll be lucky to do more than 20-30 cards a day occasionally on my phone. I’m not using Boards and Beyond or any lectures. I might get around to watching the three Sketchy pharm videos I haven’t seen. But yeah just literally only UWorld at this point.

Got another 250 on NBME13. 185/200 questions correct. One question was on a topic I’ve never seen, another question was super tricky. Other than that, the other 13 questions I missed were all ones that greater than 60% of people would be getting right on question banks which is pretty frustrating.

Nice^^ def on track to crush it.

J/w- did your school have you take CBSE by chance?

Haven't registered for Step but aiming for mid-June. Planning on using FA, BNB, Uworld (40 questions + review every 2 days starting mid January), sketchy and pathoma but have absolutely no idea how to make a schedule.

1. Did anyone use cramfighter for this? I was planning on using it for dedicated because I also have to manage school materials.
2. How often do you do full length NBME assignments during the year?
3. Should I include Anki? I have Lightyear set up but I find I do better with questions than with this resource.

Members don't see this ad :)
Boards and Beyond, Sketchy Micro and Pharm, and Pathoma.
Can you explain how you incorporated these resources from so early on? I know a lot of people use them, but I'm kind of iffy about how to start working them into my study plan.

This x100000, wish all of med school could be like this. No mandatory bs interfering with my day, and no studying random garbage slides to memorize errata before the next exam. Having full control over your own study schedule is a beautiful thing.

Reactions: 3 users
My post history should explain my study strategy pretty thoroughly. For the past year and a half I’ve spent 10-12 hours a day 5 days a week studying independently. 3-4 hours a day on the weekend. Only used, but completed 100% of Firecracker, Boards and Beyond, Sketchy Micro and Pharm, and Pathoma. Did more than half of RX, a third of Kaplan, and going to finish UWorld.

I think the absolute key is working very hard from day 1 of medical school. I’m in dedicated and pretty much study the same amount as I did during the first week of medical school (except I now study on weekends more). No resource or study strategy for a couple months can replace grinding for two years.
When are you taking step? It sounds like you’re ready now haha

Gonna post an update here for myself (and others I guess?).

Goal this Winter Break is to finish the rest of the systems for my curriculum so that I have the rest of the school year until dedicated as "extra dedicated". How I study for each system is to just go through the Pathoma and SketchyPharm/Path for it, then start doing Qbanks. I will supplement with Boards and Beyond to cover anything that these two resources don't.

After Winter Break (assuming I'm done with all my systems studying), I'm going to:

1) Start hammering Zanki in every day. I started Zanki but have not been consistent with it at all because my curriculum keeps us so busy and there's very little time to do flashcards when we're learning the curriculum material, the boards material, and trying to have a life. But if I take advantage of the three weeks off, I'm confident I can learn the material for the remaining systems during that time and be free to focus on flash cards until dedicated begins.

2) Do Qbanks every single day along with Zanki. I'm going to try to finish most of Kaplan and Rx by mid to end of January and start Uworld at the end of January or beginning of February.

Just posting an update.

I managed to do a refined version of this (more Boards and Beyond and less SketchyPath), but still was able to go through the two remaining systems during Winter Break. Now that school's back, I'm beginning my "pseudo-dedicated" period of two months before my 6 week actual dedicated. Going to be doing Zanki and UWorld (starting this earlier than planned to) every day with a bit of Rx questions sprinkled in to keep First Aid content strong.

Hello gunners!
Do you guys think its a good idea to add pathology pics from FA to my anki? This is my OCD bugging in case i see a question on the exam that i'm not able to figure out from the stem itself.
any insight would be appreciated!
thanks!

Hello gunners!
Do you guys think its a good idea to add pathology pics from FA to my anki? This is my OCD bugging in case i see a question on the exam that i'm not able to figure out from the stem itself.
thanks!

I’ve gotten a question or two right on UWorld because I recognized gross pathology from Zanki or FA or Pathoma, and I’ve only done a couple hundred of the questions so far. It wasn’t necessarily required to answer the question, but it helped.

Might be worth it for higher yield stuff maybe if you like visuals?

Hello gunners!
thanks!

You can, but I think it's good to also look up images from google so you can get an idea of different presentations of the same thing i.e bacteria, fungi, granulomas, etc. because I've noticed some UWorld/NBME questions definitely sometimes don't present imaging and histology as nicely as FA/pathoma.

I find it helpful to also know how to describe images of these things because if I see an image and I don't immediately recognize what it is, I'll describe what I'm seeing to myself and a lot of times that matches with something I know i.e this is a brain section and I'm seeing cells palisading around an area of necrosis, oh must be glioblastoma.

I've noticed I am working my way up the learning curve when it comes to UWorld questions. I'm so used to purposefully tricky/unfair questions that I feel apprehensive anytime a question feels too easy. I sometimes change my logical, "#1 cause of this, that, or the other" common sense answer to some obscure answer that is technically right, but extremely rare, and I get it wrong lol.

I've noticed I am working my way up the learning curve when it comes to UWorld questions. I'm so used to purposefully tricky/unfair questions that I feel apprehensive anytime a question feels too easy. I sometimes change my logical, "#1 cause of this, that, or the other" common sense answer to some obscure answer that is technically right, but extremely rare, and I get it wrong lol.

This is a very common "side effect" of UW for many. I don't have any personal experience with this yet but the suggested solution to this is to make sure you do at least a few NBMEs after finishing UWorld prior to the exam, in order to calibrate in some sense to what's supposed to be closest to the real deal and not overthink questions.

This is a very common "side effect" of UW for many. I don't have any personal experience with this yet but the suggested solution to this is to make sure you do at least a few NBMEs after finishing UWorld prior to the exam, in order to calibrate in some sense to what's supposed to be closest to the real deal and not overthink questions.

Oh for sure! I don't sit until June I've got some time to work on my trust issues.

Hello gunners!
thanks!

I prefer the term archer.

Pew pew

Reactions: 2 users
Hey ya'll. Is putting in ~3-4 hours of work/day of review too much at this point if my test is in middle of June?

I review my masterdeck of Zanki ~ usually about 3-400 cards which takes about 90 minutes
Answer 25 cumulative USMLERx questions and review/make anki cards for misses ~ 90 minutes
In the evening, review the anki cards I made for questions ~15 minutes (will increase once my deck increases)

I know this is the step thread and not the comlex thread, but since i dont think that ones started yet ill post here. Just got outta my first full length school mandated kaplan comlex sim. Not sure if anyones taken it yet but ill post my thoughts. Still havent taken our resp course and just started ethics so i wasnt expecting the best.

Heavy on neuroanatomy and extremely heavy on omm ive never heard of before (second largest section behind path).

Decent amount of 1st order qs, stems much shorter than rx/uworld stems. So not sure how representative this exam was.

Ended up getting a 72%, no idea what this correlates to but my school said >70% indicated youd score well. Overall happy considering i just started my review and havent touched omm yet lol. Worst sections were omm and behavioral science.

Also jesus taking a 400q 9hr exam takes a lot outta you.

If anyone else has taken/knows about this exam let me know your thoughts on it. Lets keep this grind going fam

I know this is the step thread and not the comlex thread, but since i dont think that ones started yet ill post here. Just got outta my first full length school mandated kaplan comlex sim. Not sure if anyones taken it yet but ill post my thoughts. Still havent taken our resp course and just started ethics so i wasnt expecting the best.

Heavy on neuroanatomy and extremely heavy on omm ive never heard of before (second largest section behind path).

Decent amount of 1st order qs, stems much shorter than rx/uworld stems. So not sure how representative this exam was.

Ended up getting a 72%, no idea what this correlates to but my school said >70% indicated youd score well. Overall happy considering i just started my review and havent touched omm yet lol. Worst sections were omm and behavioral science.

Also jesus taking a 400q 9hr exam takes a lot outta you.

If anyone else has taken/knows about this exam let me know your thoughts on it. Lets keep this grind going fam

Firstly, dude props. Idk anything about the Kaplan scoring but I feel like that means you are already at a point where you are going to pass boards and it's only January lol.

Our current 3rd year OMM fellows (n~5 in the group that were talking to us) were telling us the COMLEX question stems were very long & time was a big player in the level of difficulty because of it. They also said what you said about the neuroanatomy; lots of it. And they said COMLEX loves Chapman's/counterstrain setup positions.

Firstly, dude props. Idk anything about the Kaplan scoring but I feel like that means you are already at a point where you are going to pass boards and it's only January lol.

Our current 3rd year OMM fellows (n~5 in the group that were talking to us) were telling us the COMLEX question stems were very long & time was a big player in the level of difficulty because of it. They also said what you said about the neuroanatomy; lots of it. And they said COMLEX loves Chapman's/counterstrain setup positions.

Thanks man!!!

But damn thats rough regarding the question stems, i was definitely struggling for time the first half of the exam. Once dedicated rolls around will definitely have to work on qbanks in timed mode. Perhaps even do timed mode with slightly less time than we’re given on test day.

Yeah there was tons of chapmans/counterstrain/sacrum on it. I thought i was fine on sacrum but like 90% of them never gave ila/sacral base location, but instead gave sphinx/sacral rock/lumbar dx and then a hand full of other tests ive never heard to describe the dx. There was a couple treatment modalities they were asking about that i dont think ive ever even heard mentioned, but ive never really been the most attentive person in omm so take that for what its worth lol. Definitely gonna have to open that green book earlier than expected haha

So looking for any advice or just general feedback:

I started usmlerx this week. Besides trying a couple dozen Kaplan questions >1 year ago, these are the first practice questions I’ve done. I’ve been doing 40/day and started with the first system that we did last January. I’ve got 74% so far. Just really trying gauge how I’m doing.

Also, is their score prediction even worth acknowledging? It says I’d hit 240 but the range is 220-260. If so, does the range narrow over time? It would really be sweet if I could hit 230+ but I’m honestly just anxious about passing.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I tried searching this and I can’t find anything from normal people. Just “I got a 270 with a 90% in these banks.”

I started usmlerx this week. Besides trying a couple dozen Kaplan questions >1 year ago, these are the first practice questions I’ve done. I’ve been doing 40/day and started with the first system that we did last January. I’ve got 74% so far. Just really trying gauge how I’m doing.

Also, is their score prediction even worth acknowledging? It says I’d hit 240 but the range is 220-260. If so, does the range narrow over time? It would really be sweet if I could hit 230+ but I’m honestly just anxious about passing.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I tried searching this and I can’t find anything from normal people. Just “I got a 270 with a 90% in these banks.”

I posted this thread like <1 week ago, but here it is again in case you missed it. The R^2 value is lol but I don't know of anything more recent or better. The lack of correlation might be because people use it so differently... IE for some people maybe it's their first qbank, maybe some do it after they run out of questions once they've done UWorld...

6UbKga7.jpg

I posted this thread like <1 week ago, but here it is again in case you missed it. The R^2 value is lol but I don't know of anything more recent or better. The lack of correlation might be because people use it so differently... IE for some people maybe it's their first qbank, maybe some do it after they run out of questions once they've done UWorld...

6UbKga7.jpg
@Ho0v-man I've been kinda eyeing those charts too as I've been working through UWorld. But like @Gurby said, people use Qbanks so differently that idk if I trust those charts at all.

Thanks y’all.

Yeah it sucks. There’s just so many ways to go about this. Hoping the average goes up as I get into more recent material I guess. Just annoying that you can work so hard and have no clue if you’re even doing it right. Oh well.

@Ho0v-man id probably say >70% is very likely to pass, so i wouldnt worry about that especially this early in the game. But its hard to infer more than that haha. Id definitely take an estimate of 220-260 and run with it though. We wont be able to get a more accurate estimate until later in the game when we start taking nbmes/uswas (uworld data is much better than rx/kaplan tho). The people that respond to these surveys are wild though, no failures that i can see and the specialty chosen chart every specialty besides two is above 240 lol

@Ho0v-man if it makes you feel any better I did 2 blocks of Metabolism today and realized I remember zero biochemistry. It's as if I never even took the class. :D

Above >70% I’m guessing you’re in very good shape. I’m currently hitting around 50% but hoping to raise it once I actually start reviewing this stuff. Recalling info from 12 months ago is harder than I thought.

@Ho0v-man if it makes you feel any better I did 2 blocks of Metabolism today and realized I remember zero biochemistry. It's as if I never even took the class. :D
lol. Ive been trying to go by systems starting with GI but one of them i messed up and did 40 questions on everything and got murdered by biochem!

I’ve been doing 40q Rx blocks on random of the systems we’ve covered and it’s predicting a 242. My school had us take the CBSE and I scored ~210 without having covered renal and endocrine/reproduction. Admin told us that we usually see a 40-60 point jump from that score, so Rx is pretty spot on if that jump is true :shrug:

Thanks in advance.

I’ve been doing 40q Rx blocks on random of the systems we’ve covered and it’s predicting a 242. My school had us take the CBSE and I scored ~210 without having covered renal and endocrine/reproduction. Admin told us that we usually see a 40-60 point jump from that score, so Rx is pretty spot on if that jump is true :shrug:

Rx is probably the qbank with the worst correlational utility because of how different the questions are from the real test. For me personally, it is also the qbank I am doing the worst on because I hate how the questions are worded. My scores on Kaplan and UWorld are much higher.

Rx is probably the qbank with the worst correlational utility because of how different the questions are from the real test. For me personally, it is also the qbank I am doing the worst on because I hate how the questions are worded. My scores on Kaplan and UWorld are much higher.
Weird. Those two are notoriously harder. I’m trying to save Uworld. I tried Kaplan last year and hated it. It just reminded me of their MCAT prep which I also hated. It was either ridiculously tough or crazy easy and nothing in between. I guess my average overall there was about the same at the time.

Maybe i just didn’t do enough of them though, but I got fed up.

Above >70% I’m guessing you’re in very good shape. I’m currently hitting around 50% but hoping to raise it once I actually start reviewing this stuff. Recalling info from 12 months ago is harder than I thought.
My saving grace has been zanki. Still tough though. I’m very surprised how tough micro has been at times, in particular.

I actually liked the Kaplan questions better most of the time too. Rx also has terrible question categorization where I inevitably get questions over organ systems I haven’t covered and specifically didn’t select. I’m not sure that invalidates the Rx data showing a stronger correlation than Kaplan.

I actually liked the Kaplan questions better most of the time too. Rx also has terrible question categorization where I inevitably get questions over organ systems I haven’t covered and specifically didn’t select. I’m not sure that invalidates the Rx data showing a stronger correlation than Kaplan.

I was so frustrated with the question miscategorization in Rx that I gave negative feedback and sent corrections for every single miscategorized question I encountered. Must be at least 150-200 reports. I hope they got the message by now.

Reactions: 6 users
I was so frustrated with the question miscategorization in Rx that I gave negative feedback and sent corrections for every single miscategorized question I encountered. Must be at least 150-200 reports. I hope they got the message by now.
Same! It never fails to be the very first question of my blocks too. Nothing like starting out each set saying wtf is this

I actually mentioned the same thing earlier in this thread. Glad to see I'm not alone in this.

Weird. Those two are notoriously harder. I’m trying to save Uworld. I tried Kaplan last year and hated it. It just reminded me of their MCAT prep which I also hated. It was either ridiculously tough or crazy easy and nothing in between. I guess my average overall there was about the same at the time.

Maybe i just didn’t do enough of them though, but I got fed up.

My saving grace has been zanki. Still tough though. I’m very surprised how tough micro has been at times, in particular.

The questions are definitely easier, but that's only if you know exactly what they're trying to pull you towards. The questions are just not that great, but I still do them because of how high yield they are. I prefer Kaplan because it's a lot more critical thinking.

Definitely notice quite a bit of issues with the stems not matching up with the answer explanations in rx too, think ive seen it twice now where the stem says “gastric pain worse with feeding” and the answer says “in this patients case of gastric pain better with feeding” and ive seen them say someone with tachy, heat intolerance, weight loss, etc “patient has hypothyroidism”. Usually seems like just simple typos and not super frustrating because theyre obvious but still lol could definitely use a proofreader or two on staff

Reactions: 3 users
Definitely notice quite a bit of issues with the stems not matching up with the answer explanations in rx too, think ive seen it twice now where the stem says “gastric pain worse with feeding” and the answer says “in this patients case of gastric pain better with feeding” and ive seen them say someone with tachy, heat intolerance, weight loss, etc “patient has hypothyroidism”. Usually seems like just simple typos and not super frustrating because theyre obvious but still lol could definitely use a proofreader or two on staff

I had one today about vanc being the DOC for c. Diff but then the explanation’s last sentence says it isn’t. Gonna be a fun ride, kids!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I had one today about vanc being the DOC for c. Diff but then the explanation’s last sentence says it isn’t. Gonna be a fun ride, kids!

Now that you mentioned antibiotics, the issue with antimicrobials is that they 're categorized as Pharm but there is no specific system that corresponds exclusively to the microbiology section of FA. Basically you 're guaranteed to get questions about HIV medication in any system you can imagine other than Psych.

I cannot understand why would anyone convert a book into a Qbank, but then get out of their way to use a different system to index questions compared to the book they use as reference material.