Official 2019 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiousmind8

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please, limit your posts and questions to only CK exam experience related. It's hard for others to go through so many unrelated posts to finally a post about CK exam.

Thank you very much to all those who share their experience with everyone.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Try again. Believe it or not mine just disappeared at 8:15pm, someone must be at work.

You’re right! Mine is now gone but not step 3 eligible. I am not at all worried that I did not pass, so I wonder what the story is here. How does this register trick work?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does the link to request eligibility period extension also disappear?

I no longer have this link. I can't remember where it is on the page exactly on the page where you see the tiles for step 1, step 2 ck, step 2 cs, the only link I have is "full details".

I am honestly baffled by how many people come on SDN who are scoring in the 250's and 260's either on practice exams or the real exam... yet are disappointed with their scores, feel unprepared, have feelings of inadequacy, and have a sense of impending doom as if their careers are shattered. Are you guys not aware that scoring in the 250's and higher places you among the top 30% of medical students in the WORLD?! I can't think of any specialty in which a score of 250 would eliminate you from contention (perhaps in Derm, Ortho, & Plastics you would just be "average" which is still phenomenal considering the quality of candidates that go into those fields). You guys should be proud of yourselves and filled with confidence that you've accomplished a very special feat that very few people in our line of work ever achieve! Not depressed and filled with anxiety. Seriously, come onnnn people!! lol

Anyway, now that my rant is out of the way. In regards to your question... I just took CK two months ago and I scored similarly to you on both my UWORLD self-assessments. My advice to you is this:

1) The UWORLD practice exams are the best predictive metric available to us at this moment. They appear to have a good track record of predicting the real score FOR MOST PEOPLE. Of course there will be outliers, but that is just how life goes. No predictive measure is perfect. Test day performance is important - some people freak out on test day and abandon the entire plan and strategy they have practiced for months and under perform. Others will get lucky with a favorable test form that tests to all their strengths, and be on point with all their guesses; they will over perform. We can't predict these things. But for the most part, many will agree that your real CK score will most likely fall in a range between the average of the two UWORLD self-assessments + or - 10 points. If you can live with any score in that range then you are ready and you should take the exam.

2) You absolutely should activate UWORLD self-assessment 2 and take it. Don't ever save resources for "fear of wasting the resource too soon." So many people do this (and I used to do this same kind of thing back in the day), but it really is a terrible strategy. If you ultimately decide to delay your exam for whatever reason then you can retake them at a later time. But you should not be preparing with the mindset of "I might delay" because this gives yourself an excuse to not work hard and power through this last week before the real thing! Rather, you should be aggressive and do what you can to stick with your planned schedule. Only delay if absolutely necessary (this is quite subjective and depends on your goals and target score obviously... in my opinion 254 is a great score and you are performing well, but in your opinion you might feel that 250s is inadequate for your career goals... so it's really your call). I'd say 3-4 days before the real exam is a good time to take the last practice exam. How else can you know if your 254 on the first practice exam is just a fluke or a legit score without taking multiple practice tests? If you are able to score in the 250s again on UWORLD self-assessment 2 then you will have displayed consistency, and this is compelling evidence that you are ready for the real thing.

3) Regardless of how much you study or how prepared/under-prepared you feel at this moment in time, I can assure you that the real Step 2 CK will feel extremely challenging, exhausting, frustrating, and deflating. There is no way around this! Just expect to get upset and go through a roller coaster of emotions on test day. I already took the exam and I've seen the questions. If they offered me the opportunity to take it again I don't think I would change anything about how I prepared and I don't think I would be able to change my score by much. I can't even think of any resource I could use that would help me answer the difficult questions with any less difficulty. The test writers are masters of their craft and they have an uncanny ability to structure questions in a manner that forces us to make difficult clinical decisions and use our best clinical judgement to answer questions rather than regurgitating memorized facts. The purpose of this exam is to assess clinical decision making/judgement ability and critical thinking skills, not memorization ability. Once you accept this fact, you will not feel anxiety about not knowing every word in First Aid, MTB, or UWORLD explanations. Rather, you should adopt the mindset of "I am going to be faced with a bunch of scenarios i'm unsure about, all the facts I've memorized over the past couple months of studying are my toolbox that I am allowed to bring with me to the test, and I will use the tools I have to come up with educated and plausible solutions to these wacky scenarios to the best of my ability." And then you just live with the results, not much more you can do.

The question stems I thought were pretty straight forward (very similar to UWORLD self-assessments) and most of the time I knew the condition/disease the patient has... however, the difficult questions (and most people will agree with me) are difficult because:

a) 2 or 3 answer choices will all seem plausible as managements and you have never had to decide between those 3 things before. So you are forced to guess.

or

b) you will be reading a question and get all excited because you totally know this disease and you are positive about how to treat/manage the condition and then you get to the answers and BOOM, the answer you want is not even an option! Once again forced to guess.

or

c) you read the question and/or read the answers and have no freakin' idea what the hell they are talking about. Guess and move on. Although I must say this scenario happens much less on Step 2CK compared to Step 1.

UWORLD was absolute gold for Step 2 CK and you will be able to answer about 70% of the real exam confidently from UWORLD explanations. The other 30% of the test, unfortunately, you will be dealing with the three difficult scenarios I listed above. No way around this, that's just the nature of the beast.

No. Read some of my old posts. This is not a thinking test. It isn't pure memory, but it is mostly memory. It is extremely low in gloadedness. You need rather little fluid intelligence. I almost never get questions wrong because I "thought the wrong way." It is usually because I just didn't know the fact because I either forgot or never encountered it before. Don't sell this "critical thinking" lie. It is a disservice. Everyone please do your anki. Know UWorld and AMBOSS algorithms cold and read a lot of Uptodate on wards. That is how you score well.

This isn't the Putnam. Mumbo jumbo lies that heavily exaggerate "giftedness" of high scorers. In the words of Edward Goljan

"The more you read, the better you do."

"This test is not hard. I am not smart. I am a 110 IQ guy who works really hard"

The key is organized focused studying. You have to also focus your attention on small nuances of disesse like how lupus and RA can present similalry clinically in the joints but only the latter usually manifests radiographically. The test loves such clinically nit picky stuff. If you haven't seen it, you are guessing. You can reverse rationalize your magical "reasoning" prowess, if you get it right, but that is just a form of lying to yourself.

I cringe, when an attending compliments me or anyone else as "smart," when I/he/she spit out diagnostic nuances, imaging findings, or recent treatment modalities and mechanisms. It shows diligence not intelligence. You cannot rule in or out the latter. Yes fluid and crystallized intellect or correlated but you need a lot more data points than most people use in medicine to just slap on the "smart or "not so smart" label based on who has more rote facts memorized.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
IMG
Test Date: August 9. (this week would be my 3rd Wednesday)
Step 1 & CS Passed.

Permit still available. No Step 3 eligibility.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can take CS!

But yeah if all the exams aren’t complete this trick won’t work.

I already took 5 board exams, i guess one more wouldn't hurt. The trick to not getting burned out is to be at a chronic state of burn out. It's kind of like pain. After a while you don't feel anything anymore lolll

Hi Everyone, I just tried the Step 2 website again, have been trying for the past couple of weeks but it didn't let me register. The page finally changed today and its letting me proceed with the application, i know we're getting our results this wed so hopefully this is an indication of a pass on step 2! anyone else try the step 3 exam application today and was able to proceed that weren't able to before?

Hi Everyone, I just tried the Step 2 website again, have been trying for the past couple of weeks but it didn't let me register. The page finally changed today and its letting me proceed with the application, i know we're getting our results this wed so hopefully this is an indication of a pass on step 2! anyone else try the step 3 exam application today and was able to proceed that weren't able to before?

yup same for me today, means we passed CK haha

IMG
Test Date: August 9. (this week would be my 3rd Wednesday)
Step 1 & CS Passed.

Permit still available. No Step 3 eligibility.

Permit disappeared around 11:50pm (~1 hour ago)
Still NOT eligible for Step 3 @ FSMB.
How long for FSMB to reflect my possible "pass" score on CK?

Permit disappeared around 11:50pm (~1 hour ago)
Still NOT eligible for Step 3 @ FSMB.
How long for FSMB to reflect my possible "pass" score on CK?
USIMG here, became eligible for Step 3 on FSMB this morning. Took CK on Aug 1.
You should prob check tomorrow morning. Wish ya luck!

So I scored a 220 on step 1 and 3 months later scored a 270 on step 2 and maybe this is just my experience, but I feel like I do not even know what I did differently. I did not feel more prepared for step 2. Obviously step 2 is a very different exam, but I was scoring 240s on practice exams before both exams. I honestly think the difference was my state of mind while taking the exam.

I took 8 weeks to study for step 1 (the max amount of time allotted by our school) and we were the first class to take it after 3rd year and it sucked. I went through UWorld twice, I did boards and beyond and memorized sketchy pharm and micro in addition to memorizing 4000 flash cards I made off of U world questions all in 8.5 weeks. I did 3 practice exams as well. Honestly the week of step 1 I was kind of a mess, there was a family tragedy the weekend prior to step 1, but I was so just completely in step 1 mode that I just had to take the exam to be done with it and I had scored 2 practice exams at 240 the week before the exam. I literally did not sleep hardly at all that week and took the exam running on empty.

After step 1, I did one 4th year rotation, took 3 dedicated weeks to study for step 2, and then started an AI that had predictable clinic hours. During this time, I reviewed step 2 material every night for 2-4 hours and took then took the exam. I was totally relaxed and had slept well the night before. For studying, I just memorized step 2 secrets, did peds pretest, did UWorld once, some occasional MedEd videos on areas of weakness, and 2 practice exams where I had a 240 something and a 250 something. I took the exam because I felt like I had flat-lined and wasn't improving and I ended up with a 270.

I don't even know why I am putting this out there, I just feel disillusioned because I have worked so hard for both of my step exams, and in medical school in general and ultimately it feels to me like my results were totally random and yet it is also the most important part of my residency application. I was obviously shocked at both scores. I know this is probably due to my mental readiness to take an exam, but I have "powered through" so many exams in my life I just do not know why this is any different and it is beyond frustrating.

Reactions: 6 users
I was just able to register for STEP 3!! (~5:00 AM EST)

Good luck to everyone this Wednesday.
For people like me who didn’t take CS yet . So we can’t really do the step 3 trick . But I was wondering would applying again for step 2 ck would do the trick ?
What does it say when u try to make a new application for step 2 ck?

For people like me who didn’t take CS yet . So we can’t really do the step 3 trick . But I was wondering would applying again for step 2 ck would do the trick ?

If your permit is gone, what extra info do you gain from "the trick"?

I thought permit being gone means that you passed tho. Otherwise you would need a permit available to register to take the test again.

edited to say my comment above is wrong, the below comment is the explanation.

Last edited:
I thought permit being gone means that you passed tho. Otherwise you would need a permit available to register to take the test again.
The permit disappearance means the result is coming back .
If in case of failing , a new permit with a new eligibility period is needed .

Reactions: 1 users

I’m able to fill a new application for Step 1 & CS and I’ve already passed both. New application for Step 2CK doesn’t reflect neither passing score or score release.

I’m able to fill a new application for Step 1 & CS and I’ve already passed both. New application for Step 2CK doesn’t reflect neither passing score or score release.
I dont think the permit link trick works again.I am not able to fill out a new application fro step 1 & Cs but i still have the link to extend my ck eligibility period although my permit is gone. I am not able to apply for step 3. keeps sayings i have not been assigned a Federation (ID) .

Yes, I have CS complete -- I just checked again this morning and I am now Step 3 eligible. And now for a three day drum roll waiting for the actual score!
How do you check that you are now Step 3 eligible? I think my CK permit is gone, and i would like to use the Step 3 eligibility trick. Thanks for the help.

Does your permit disappearing mean 100% that your score is coming tomorrow?

I took my test, August 9th. And My permit disappeared and I’m not eligible for Step 3 yet....I’m sort of panicking.

I just assumed with the score delay that August 9th was delayed till next week but with the permit gone and not being step 3 eligible does that mean that I didn’t pass?

I took my test, August 9th. And My permit disappeared and I’m not eligible for Step 3 yet....I’m sort of panicking.

I just assumed with the score delay that August 9th was delayed till next week but with the permit gone and not being step 3 eligible does that mean that I didn’t pass?

If your permit expiration date hasn't passed and it disappeared then yes it is coming out tomorrow. If you aren't sure click the full details link and look at the permit/ scheduling section, it'll say what your eligibility period was.

I thought the
If your permit expiration date hasn't passed and it disappeared then yes it is coming out tomorrow. If you aren't sure click the full details link and look at the permit/ scheduling section, it'll say what your eligibility period was.

Haven’t passed my permit eligibility period.

And the step 3 eligibility trick is 100%? I’ve passed both step 1 and CS. No ones ever passed without becoming eligible the day before?

I thought the

Haven’t passed my permit eligibility period.

And the step 3 eligibility trick is 100%? I’ve passed both step 1 and CS. No ones ever passed without becoming eligible the day before?

Maybe there are some caveats to the trick? Anybody have some positive feedback on this one?

Maybe there are some caveats to the trick? Anybody have some positive feedback on this one?

You go to fsmb, create account, go to fcvs, then continue, then education and certification, then examination history. At 1AM it should state if passed. Good luck everyone!

I took the exam on the 9th.

Permit disappeared Sunday night (around 11:50pm) & I was able to register for Step3 on Monday morning (around 5:00am).

I've read somewhere that the FSMB "trick" might be delayed hours before score release. Good luck tomorrow!

I took UW1 Today and got 220 and made many silly mistakes ,my exam is on friday
should I take UW2 or just reeview my wrong qs from uw1 and go for the exam?any suggestion thanks