Official 2019 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiousmind8

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please, limit your posts and questions to only CK exam experience related. It's hard for others to go through so many unrelated posts to finally a post about CK exam.

Thank you very much to all those who share their experience with everyone.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I didn't receive an email notification but my score is now available

Think I got almost exactly the average between my UWSA 1 and 2

Passed in the 250s!

Good luck everyone!

My score report was on the usmle website before I got any emails btw.

264 in UWSA1 for reference

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
244 step 1
251 step 2ck
Passed step2cs

More than sufficient for EM. So feeling fine, but not overly excited.

Reactions: 2 users
NBMEs (chronological order): Psych 20-something!, OB 50-something, Internal-bad, don't remember, Family high 80s, Peds and Surgery ->90. Average = 65%ile

NBME7 ~230-235 (can't recall exactly -one week out)
UWSA1 242 (one week out)
UWSA2 255 (days out)
UW % correct (mostly first pass, did reset after doing some questions spread out throughout entire year) - 76% <-- closest approximation based on (USMLE SCORE CORRELATION) <-- also was true for me for step 1

Real thing: high 250s/low 260s

Take home for me - trust uworld as a learning tool. Trust that overall performance of true first pass much more than you trust any other single metric.

Best of luck to all reading this thread. Med school is long and hard; study harder than you think you can, self-care!, and care about those around you, too.

Reactions: 1 user
US IMG
UWSA1 228
UWSA2 216 (dont ask idk what happened lol but it scared the bejesus out of me)
Step 2 CK 232
Step 1 219

Practice scores for me have always been all over the place. I was hoping for a 240+ because I took an NBME practice exam at the prometric 2 months prior to my CK and got a 242. However, I stopped studying for CK and focused on CS and a pretty busy rotation the following month. I had 3 weeks of dedicated studying before my CK and it was during that time that I took the UWSAs. Overall, I'm content with my score considering what I'm applying for and decent improvement from my less than stellar step 1. Congratulations to those who are done and good luck to those of you who still have to take it! It's a beast but it feels SO good when you're all done and Step 3 eligible haha

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just got my score too off website no email. For the content breakdowns I'm only showing orange boxes in the "same" level for each category. Do we not get score breakdowns like Step 1?

US MD

step 2

step 2 qbank: 66% correct (first and only pass, untimed)
UWSA1:245
UWSA2:252
form 6: 239
form 7:224
form 8:241 (one week away from real test)

real thing: 255

step 1

step 1 qbank: 66% (first and only pass, untimed)
UWSA1: 228
UWSA2: 237
form 13: 213
form 16: 219
form 17:223
form 18: 232 (one week away from real test)

real thing: 230

I'm really happy with how i did on step 2! i came out of that completely unsure of how i did. i guessed on a good quarter of the questions and there were so many from left field. i didn't study as much as i should've; i was just taking it easy and got too lazy to do uworld a second time. so all i did was uworld x1 and OME vids. i could've gotten a 220 and i would've believed it. this is really the best i could've hoped for especially since i got a 241 on form 8. i've noticed that in general i do better on test day. i space out a lot when i do questions at home because i know they don't matter. i've had good experiences with proctors and the other test takers, and i'm super focused when the day comes. good luck to everyone!

edit: also i just wanted to say it is true all you need is uworld to do well on step 2! i would do it untimed during the corresponding rotation whenever i had time and i would review the questions generously for a few hours, doing them in blocks of 40 at a time. i would make anki flash cards for interesting questions and just used it as a reference for when something confusing came up down the line. i would watch the OME vids and make anki flash cards during the corresponding rotation as well! i like watching the vids before doing the uworld questions because it gives a solid foundation, although not 100% of what dustin says is correct or uptodate, he is correct usually lol. i had one month of study time before the actual exam that i used mostly to relax. i did a few uworld questions here and there to finish it up and i did the practice tests 4-5 days a part, last one being about a week before the real thing. i visited the testing site a few days prior to my actual exam just to loosen any nerves that might strike during the real deal and i brought snacks, water, and gatorade that i mostly didn't eat or drink. i had a few sips of water and one granola bar thruout that 9 hour affair, and i was ready for more by the end of it, and surprisingly still not hungry (when i'm focused i don't get hungry).

for step 1 i used sketchy micro (watched and referenced a lot), sketchy pharm (watched and referenced a lot), pathoma (once thru), first aid (read it thru cover to cover once and used as reference), uworld x1 and made anki cards as needed. step 1 was honestly a lot more overwhelming for me than step 2, which is basically step 1 minus the extra biochem pathways. i highly recommend sketchy if your brain works that way. i still have the images ingrained in my head as i'm on my sub-i right now! i didn't do that hot on step 1 but i was happy with the score. good luck to everyone who hasn't taken step 1 or step 2 yet and is just referencing this thread, hope i could be of help!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
US MD

So I had the great privilege of getting my step 2 ck score on the day of my cs....which was brilliant. Was debating whether I should even open my report but all is well in the end haha.

Step 2 CK:
1st pass Uworld: 70%
UWSA 1 (1 wk before exam): 269
UWSA 2 (4 days before exam): 265
Real Deal: 261

Lesson: Trust your UWSA scores (+/- 10). I am elated with my score, especially considering I thought I bombed the test coming out of it.

I did a good 2 weeks of dedicated studying. I only used Uworld x1 and redid half the questions that I had missed first time around.

Step 1: 224 (was suffering serious health issues during this time, so not too upset about the score)
UWSA1: 240
USWA2: 250
Step 2 CK: 260

I am so thrilled!

I got exactly what I deserved it seems! I was hoping for 240's but didn't quite get there.
For whatever reason my practice exams were bi-modal with all NBMEs around the same thing and UWSAs almost the same but ~15 points apart.
All 3 of my NBMEs were like 224, 228, 226 and my UWSA1 and UWSA2 were 244 and 242, respectively.
I was praying for the UWSAs to be more predictive, but I ended up with a 235 on the real deal (so smack dab in the middle of them). "Trust your practice exams" is the mantra, so I'll add another data point in support of that.
I'm going into psychiatry, so I am absolutely fine with it.
I completely bombed Step 1 (almost failed actually), so the goal was to not do that this time. :)
I'll take a 235! lol

(Edit: I took the exam on July 3rd for whatever that's worth. I interestingly took Step 1 on July 3rd exactly a year before. haha)

Last edited:
Feeling devastated, but within range of all of my practice exams so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. The sad truth is whether I take a year to prepare or a few months to prepare, I don't think it would've made much difference in my overall score. It sucks to walk away from 3rd year and 4th year aways with high marks and great comments to be kicked back down by board scores.

Step 1: 233

Step 2: 228
NBME 8 198
NBME 6 205
UWSA 1 237
UWSA 2 220
NBME 7 222

Felt terrible after the exam and I know I missed 20 questions, with another 10 I highly suspect were wrong. I would guess my total wrong was 35ish so a much better margin of error than step 1 I think

final score 275-280

Felt terrible after the exam and I know I missed 20 questions, with another 10 I highly suspect were wrong. I would guess my total wrong was 35ish so a much better margin of error than step 1 I think

final score 275-280
Congrats! What about UWSA scores?

I know this request is very difficult but it'll be helpful for those who didn't pass or didn't score anywhere near their UWSA score to post their real score range so we can get broader view of correlations. Especially for those who took the exam between July and August (with the new question set). It's easy to post high scores but if you have the courage, post your average or low scores as well...

Does your permit disappearing mean 100% that your score is coming tomorrow?

I took my test, August 9th. And My permit disappeared and I’m not eligible for Step 3 yet....I’m sort of panicking.

I just assumed with the score delay that August 9th was delayed till next week but with the permit gone and not being step 3 eligible does that mean that I didn’t pass?

How did you do?

I know this request is very difficult but it'll be helpful for those who didn't pass or didn't score anywhere near their UWSA score to post their real score range so we can get broader view of correlations. Especially for those who took the exam between July and August (with the new question set). It's easy to post high scores but if you have the courage, post your average or low scores as well...

Yes, I failed. Which doesn't make sense to me, at all. Took Exam in July.
UWSA 1: 223 (1mos. out)
UWSA 2: 220 (4 days out)
Free 120: 81% (2 weeks out)
Uworld: Did Qbank 4x during 10 months beginning in clinicals (65% avg)
Read MTB x2 with OME
Even went over FA for Step 1 which helped a lot (1 week before)

Real Deal: Below 200

Doesn't make sense to me. I'm going to do a score recheck. I felt decent after taking the exam.
I don't know what the hell happened, I'm going to do a score recheck to be sure. This is a major setback. I'm signed up for the Match this year, all my paperwork etc. is submitted and this is a major blow.

Hopefully this only affects me, I did prepare very well, maybe I did truly earn the fail during the exam... best of luck to everyone else.
Hope you're lives are going better than mine.

Last edited:
Step 1: 239

NBME 7: 228 (baseline 3 weeks prior)
UWSA1: 244
NBME 6: 228
NBME 8: 244
UWSA: 256 (3 days before)

Step 2 CK: 249

Really wanted >250. From Southwest applying to IM in west/eastcoast programs. Have mostly honors during third year (IM, FM, Surgery, psychiatry, neurology) and honors on IM sub-I; no AOA or pubs except a bunch of posters.

Yes, I failed. Which doesn't make sense to me, at all. Took Exam in July.
UWSA 1: 223 (1mos. out)
UWSA 2: 220 (4 days out)
Free 120: 81% (2 weeks out)
Uworld: Did Qbank 4x during 10 months beginning in clinicals (65% avg)
Read MTB x2 with OME
Even went over FA for Step 1 which helped a lot (1 week before)

Real Deal: Below 200

Doesn't make sense to me. I'm going to do a score recheck. I felt decent after taking the exam.
I don't know what the hell happened, I'm going to do a score recheck to be sure. This is a major setback. I'm signed up for the Match this year, all my paperwork etc. is submitted and this is a major blow.

Hopefully this only affects me, I did prepare very well, maybe I did truly earn the fail during the exam... best of luck to everyone else.
Hope you're lives are going better than mine.

I’m so sorry, that must be devastating. Below 200 is completely off from your practice scores. I wonder if others had similar experience. It’s even worse not knowing what caused it. Hang in there and don’t give up.

Btw, how was your step 1?

step 1: 252
step 2: 272

UW1: 268

Went through UWorld twice and took notes the second time. Did not use other resources. Studied 8 hours/day for 3 weeks.

Keeping up with studying throughout the year was really important for me. I did >90th percentile on all shelfs so I didn't have a lot of work to do for CK.

DO student here,
Studied for 3.5 weeks oversees, took Step oversees.
Studied 6 days/week, 8-12hrs/day.

Step 1 249, Level 1 632
UW 1st pass 70%
UW 2nd pass 89% (not like this score means anything) Also some of the questions that I got wrong I saw as many as 4 times.
NBME6 223 3 weeks out
NBME7 229 2 weeks out
NBME8 239 1 week out
UW free 120 87.5%
CK 259, Level 2 627

Needless to say I was quite nervous as my NBME results were not broadcasting me getting to my Step 1 score. My shelf exam scores were universally abysmal. I was quite nervous about Step 2. I think the take away from my experience is that Uworld works especially in conjunction with OME, even if you suck on your shelves. I also wound up buying OME and did the questions with each video. The questions are a little informal but I feel like they were helpful as they drove home his points and identified tricks and pitfalls test writers can build into questions.

As an aside for the DOs, my Comlex is marginal compared to my USMLE but that makes sense being that I took Step 2 and then went on vacation for 3 weeks without doing any studying.

I'm overall happy with my scores, we'll see if they're good enough to make me competitive for gen-surge.

US MD

UW1: 254 (5days out)
UW2: 247 (3days out)

STEP 2 CK: 250

Took 3-4 wks dedicated. All I did was Uworld and felt like it was all I needed. Focused on IM blocks and my incorrects more so than other subjects

Currently on a brutal AI on wards and had to wait until now to check my score. Couldn't think about anything else today.

UWSA 1 240
NBME 7 237
NBME 8 256
UWSA 2 249
Free 120 82% correct

STEP 2 CK - 243
STEP 1 - 218

Have to say I walked out of that exam feeling like a complete failure but I am honestly pretty happy with how I did. Of course I wanted a 250 + like most people here but I think the 25 point jump from step 1 score is a huge positive. I scored in between UWSA 1 & 2 so TRUST THOSE SCORES. All in all I cannot complain and I'm happy with where I stand. I'm a pretty average student doing internal medicine (shout out to all my other average med school folks out there)!

Took it 6/20..

Got a 219. Super bummed out. Dropped about 15 points from my Step 1. All my practice scores were in the 230s-low 240s. Considering a score recheck.

On my score breakdown, none of the bars on the right side are moved in either direction of lower or higher, they are just all down the middle under “same”. Anyone else see this?
Hi TB_13,
What you described very similar to mine. My UWSA 1 and 2 was 257 and 250. I took my exam 6/28, and my score released this morning is 239. It dropped more than 10 points of my mock average! also, all my performance by topic/system is rated as "same".
Did you request recheck? also, is there any other investigation we can request?

UW2: 266
nbme 8: 265

STEP 2 CK: 272

Felt like crap after taking test. A lot more guessing than i would have liked. Overall message: trust your practice scores.
Used uworld and amboss throughout the year. Redid about 60% of uworld during 3.5 weeks of dedicated. Also did amboss questions.

Currently on a brutal AI on wards and had to wait until now to check my score. Couldn't think about anything else today.

UWSA 1 240
NBME 7 237
NBME 8 256
UWSA 2 249
Free 120 82% correct

STEP 2 CK - 243
STEP 1 - 218

Have to say I walked out of that exam feeling like a complete failure but I am honestly pretty happy with how I did. Of course I wanted a 250 + like most people here but I think the 25 point jump from step 1 score is a huge positive. I scored in between UWSA 1 & 2 so TRUST THOSE SCORES. All in all I cannot complain and I'm happy with where I stand. I'm a pretty average student doing internal medicine (shout out to all my other average med school folks out there)!

EXCELLENT! :clap: hahaha

230 step 1 // 233 step 2
UWSA 1 and 2 were in the mid 240s. Pretty dissapointed. I'm going EM. What do yall think? :(

My USWAs were similar (242, 244) and I ended up with a 235. Your step 1 is good though; I almost failed. lol
I think you will be fine!!

Also I found this tool a while back, and it's very useful! It's a distribution of Step 1/CK scores for each specialty.

194 on step 1, 230 on step 2. Obviously not thrilled with step 1 score but at least I have a solid increase. Planning on Psych or Med-Psych

Reactions: 3 users
I’m so sorry, that must be devastating. Below 200 is completely off from your practice scores. I wonder if others had similar experience. It’s even worse not knowing what caused it. Hang in there and don’t give up.

Btw, how was your step 1?

My step 1 was below average, but a healthy pass. I submitted the score recheck form this afternoon. I'm still shocked. And you're exactly right, my score was WAYYYY off the real deal. I had adequate sleep and was focused. This score was all I needed to apply this season. Step 1 and CS done. I'm still puzzled and need to process my feelings and reevaluate. Thanks for your response and for your concern.

My step 1 was below average, but a healthy pass. I submitted the score recheck form this afternoon. I'm still shocked. And you're exactly right, my score was WAYYYY off the real deal. I had adequate sleep and was focused. This score was all I needed to apply this season. Step 1 and CS done. I'm still puzzled and need to process my feelings and reevaluate. Thanks for your response and for your concern.

Let us know about your recheck.

Sorry to hear about what happened, 7Epinephrine. That honestly could've happened to any one of us and this score definitely does not mean anything about your intelligence. I hope the re-check proves that it was a spoof/fluke.

Took exam end of June after 2 weeks of a super chill rotation and 2 weeks of dedicated study time. ~75% on UW second pass (67-69% first pass). Didn't really use any other resources other than UW and some OME. Bought Step 2 CK First Aid, but didn't read. Can't remember exam shelf scores throughout, but was like 77-80th percentile for third year rotations. IM/FM shelves were about average, peds and psych were below average, Neuro/OB/Surgery slightly above average.

STEP 1: 227

NBME 7: 230
UWSA1: 258
UWSA2: 254

STEP 2: 253

Super happy because I got little/no sleep the night before even though my anxiety/stress levels weren't that bad the week leading up to it. Tossed and turned almost the whole night. Did NOT feel happy/good about the exam after coming out of it, especially because of my poor sleep. Like everyone else...I thought I failed or did terribly. Though, I have to say, my feeling after an exam usually isn't accurate.

TLDR: Felt like crap after exam...(and UNFORTUNATELY LET IT SOMEWHAT RUIN MY SUMMER because I would get stressed about it, dang it NBME). Trust your practice scores for the most part. Try to stay calm/cool/collected throughout the whole study process. Know that there is a community online and with you from family and friends supporting you every step (no pun intended) of the way.

Feeling devastated, but within range of all of my practice exams so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. The sad truth is whether I take a year to prepare or a few months to prepare, I don't think it would've made much difference in my overall score. It sucks to walk away from 3rd year and 4th year aways with high marks and great comments to be kicked back down by board scores.

Step 1: 233

Step 2: 228
NBME 8 198
NBME 6 205
UWSA 1 237
UWSA 2 220
NBME 7 222

I am sorry to hear that your step 2 score dropped from step 1. I am disappointed by my score which dropped 14 points from UWSA 1 and 2 avg. (I did not do other mock exams). I scored 239. Are you considering score recheck?

NBMEs (chronological order): Psych 20-something!, OB 50-something, Internal-bad, don't remember, Family high 80s, Peds and Surgery ->90. Average = 65%ile

NBME7 ~230-235 (can't recall exactly -one week out)
UWSA1 242 (one week out)
UWSA2 255 (days out)
UW % correct (mostly first pass, did reset after doing some questions spread out throughout entire year) - 76% <-- closest approximation based on (USMLE SCORE CORRELATION) <-- also was true for me for step 1

Real thing: high 250s/low 260s

Take home for me - trust uworld as a learning tool. Trust that overall performance of true first pass much more than you trust any other single metric.

Best of luck to all reading this thread. Med school is long and hard; study harder than you think you can, self-care!, and care about those around you, too.
lol are you afraid to say the actual score? I don’t get when people put ranges....

Step 2 CK: 259

Uwsa 2 (3 days out): 259
Uwsa 1 (5 days out): 259
Did 1/2 of Uworld 1st pass. 70% average over about 1500 questions.

Step 1: 254

At long last I have an undisputed win on one of these medical school standardized tests. 260+, increased my Step 1 score by over 30. This is a good day!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users