Official 2019 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiousmind8

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please, limit your posts and questions to only CK exam experience related. It's hard for others to go through so many unrelated posts to finally a post about CK exam.

Thank you very much to all those who share their experience with everyone.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Oh ok. Is this the first time taking this exam? I am a repeat test taker, Im wondering if the trick still works for those who failed the first time.
In my experience the FSMB trick for registering for Step 3 works if you have already taken Step 1 & CS. And on the day you receive your score (Wednesday) at 12 AM central time you can see if you passed through FCVS.

Members don't see this ad :)
My CK experience:
FMG from Europe. Step 1 score 257.
Had a weird study schedule. Passed Step 1 in May last year. Then bought UW for CK and got through roughly 50% of it. Took NBME 6 - got 239. Looked promising but had to postpone studying as my internship in my home country was about to start. Continued studying 7-8 months later and finished UW, took NBME 7 - got 235. Then had to postpone studying by another 3-4 months due to family issues; reset UW, did 3 blocks per day for around 2-2.5 weeks and got through approximately 60% of it before the test date. First pass was around 69%, 2nd pass >80%. Did not use any books, just UW and notes from it. Overall, all I did was 1.6 x UW so I did not feel great about my prep despite promising UWSA scores :censored:
UWSA 1: 252
UWSA 2: 257
Free 120: 87%

Exam experience:
Straaaaaaange. Questions were similar to UWSAs in length and style but many were quite vague with strange answer choices. Marked around 10-15 questions per block. Relatively few questions where I had to just randomly guess but maybe 25-30% where I was uncertain. Drug ad questions were way more complicated than the UW ones. Generally, UW covers most of the topics tested. Left having no idea what to expect but I was hopeful I had broken 250.

Final score: 264.

Just a thought: I feel getting used to solving UW-style CK questions was the most important aspect of doing well on this test.
Hope this experience helps someone.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh ok. Is this the first time taking this exam? I am a repeat test taker, Im wondering if the trick still works for those who failed the first time.

I really hope you do Well on this exam because share your experience on how you studied differently from the first time you took it.

not sure where i can post this but i failed my last surgery nbme exam practice exam and i take the shelf tomorrow. ive passed the other 3 that are available. do the nbme practice shelves usually underpredict? i got a 53 and need a 59 to pass... (65, 62, and 71 on the others).

Reactions: 1 user
not sure where i can post this but i failed my last surgery nbme exam practice exam and i take the shelf tomorrow. ive passed the other 3 that are available. do the nbme practice shelves usually underpredict? i got a 53 and need a 59 to pass... (65, 62, and 71 on the others).

they can underpredict for some, but you should be confidently passing them before taking your shelf. If there's no option to delay, I would focus your time on taking and reviewing (in great detail) each one of the CMS forms

The waiting game is the worse ughhhhhhh reliving the whole situation everyday :(

I took the Ck recently and i can't stop thinking about how terrible i did on it. I finished all the blocks but had a min to answer the last two questions so I always rushed the last two questions. I know i have a confirmed 15-20 easy questions wrong. I also know that i wasn't sure on half the exam. I did UWSA 1: 252 2 wks before, UWSA: 242 2 days before the exam. I did uworld 80% of it in my third year and reset it and did 85% second round and avg was 73%. Did anyone feel this way?

The waiting game is the worse ughhhhhhh reliving the whole situation everyday :(

I took the Ck recently and i can't stop thinking about how terrible i did on it. I finished all the blocks but had a min to answer the last two questions so I always rushed the last two questions. I know i have a confirmed 15-20 easy questions wrong. I also know that i wasn't sure on half the exam. I did UWSA 1: 252 2 wks before, UWSA: 242 2 days before the exam. I did uworld 80% of it in my third year and reset it and did 85% second round and avg was 73%. Did anyone feel this way?
Wait is killing me too, keep us posted please

Members don't see this ad :)
When I took my test my permit disappeared on Sunday night and I was able to register for Step 3 on Monday. But a friend of mine had his permit disappear until Monday night (tonight) and is still not able to register for step 3.

has someone been unable to register for step 3 until Tuesday before getting their scores?

When I took my test my permit disappeared on Sunday night and I was able to register for Step 3 on Monday. But a friend of mine had his permit disappear until Monday night (tonight) and is still not able to register for step 3.

has someone been unable to register for step 3 until Tuesday before getting their scores?
I read a few posts where the step 3 trick doesn't work until Tuesday night.

IMG, with step 1 and step 2 CS passed already. I think that’s the only way it lets you start Step 3 registration. But I think that later today at night (like at 12) you could see if you passed through FCVS

Thanks! Same thing here with the exception that my last exam is CS and was hoping to get the score tomorrow - starting to look like I either failed or won't be getting the score this week.

Thanks! Same thing here with the exception that my last exam is CS and was hoping to get the score tomorrow - starting to look like I either failed or won't be getting the score this week.
Did your permit disappear on IWA? If the link has not disappeared it means you will not get results this week

It disappeared within a few days after the exam so it does not seem reliable!
Do you mean that the link totally disappeared or that the permit is not available? The link should be completely gone, you should not be able to even click it.
If so, maybe it’s because your testing period ended a few days after your test.

Do you mean that the link totally disappeared or that the permit is not available? The link should be completely gone, you should not be able to even click it.
If so, maybe it’s because your testing period ended a few days after your test.

No, my eligibility period was well into 2020. The permit link completely disappeared within a week of the exam. It seems to be the case for all IMGs now. The link on OASIS never seems to disappear, however.

No, my eligibility period was well into 2020. The permit link completely disappeared within a week of the exam. It seems to be the case for all IMGs now. The link on OASIS never seems to disappear, however.
Interesting. Have not had that happen to me or people close to me. Wish you the best of luck

They certainly are doing everything they can to make the whole experience as clear and stress free as possible for everyone involved :whistle:
Right. I still have a hard time understanding why we can't have results on same day? Maybe a few days? 3-4 weeks and 6 weeks for CS is absurd nowadays.

Dudeee this waiting game is really hard. I'm an IMG took my exam on october 7th, UWSA2 got 255 (1 month before the exam) then i did the UWSA1 270 one week before the exam, got 92% in the free 120 questions, did 100% of UW Qbank with 82% average ( first round), but i felt very bad during the exam many crazy questions with crazy options, I ran out of time in one of the Qbanks, felt pretty unsure of my answers. Everyone told me that this is a normal feeling after the exam but i'm getting crazy AF, hopefully I'll get anything above 250 but I feel like roughly I'll get 240.

Dudeee this waiting game is really hard. I'm an IMG took my exam on october 7th, UWSA2 got 255 (1 month before the exam) then i did the UWSA1 270 one week before the exam, got 92% in the free 120 questions, did 100% of UW Qbank with 82% average ( first round), but i felt very bad during the exam many crazy questions with crazy options, I ran out of time in one of the Qbanks, felt pretty unsure of my answers. Everyone told me that this is a normal feeling after the exam but i'm getting crazy AF, hopefully I'll get anything above 250 but I feel like roughly I'll get 240.

I felt extremely confused after the exam myself. So many questions are vague and I remember marking at least 10 questions per block, if not more. Most of those were educated guesses - some I got right, some I got wrong. Ended up scoring even higher than my UWSA2. Your Qbank and Free120 are also excellent so I am pretty sure that you will end up getting a high score, well above 250, probably above 260. I think the fact that you were doing so well in UW, UWSAs and Free120 suggests that you know more than enough to ensure those "educated guesses" are correct more often than not so you should be fine.

I have almost similar stats as your
Uwsa1 270
Uwsa2 259
Free 120 92%
Took exam a few days ago and felt like I was unsure of 50% of my answers. Ran out of time in one block .
Missed so many gummies.
Now I feel I can't even cross 240

You all are worried about breaking 240 250 and I’m here worried about passing :(

Hey i feel the same way and i have similar scores to you on my uwsa1 and uwsa2. I definitely marked a lot of questions on my exam and was rushed on a few blocks. Getting my grade back tomorrow so hopefully i did well.
Please let us know when you get your scores back I will get mine in two weeks . All the best

Hey i feel the same way and i have similar scores to you on my uwsa1 and uwsa2. I definitely marked a lot of questions on my exam and was rushed on a few blocks. Getting my grade back tomorrow so hopefully i did well.

Best of lucks, you got this. Let us know about your experience.

Need advice. Still have about 200 questions left in uworld. Took me about 3 months to get through uworld; this was my 2nd pass, did first pass over a year ago. Took nbme 8 three weeks ago and scored 248. Took uwsa 1 yesterday, scored 258. Exam date is 11th Sept. Should i push the date and get through the remaining 200 questions, incorrects and a quick read of my notes OR should i finish the 200 questions in a couple of days, take uwsa 2 and give it on he 11th?
Step 1 is 248, CS pass, YOG 2017

Came out of the exam feeling like ****; marked atleast 20 questions per block, guessed on both the drug ads. I counted atleast 25-30 wrong over the course of the next 2 weeks.
UW first pass: 74%
UW second pass: 85%
NBME 8 (5 weeks out: 248)
NBME 6 (4 weeks out: 256)
UWSA 1 (2 weeks out: 258)
UWSA 2 (4 days out: 260)
Real deal: 258

If i can give any advice, it would be to trust your UWSA 2 score. DO NOT doubt yourself, there is a lot of room for error and you will realize that when you give uwsa2. Secondly, do NOT take biostats lightly, it was always my strength so i never bothered revising it and during my exam i bombed both the drug ads and could not calculate a simple NNT value.
There is so much subject matter to cover that you will never be ready for this exam. The day you cross your goal score in UWSA's, go and take it.
Best of Luck to everyone taking CK and applying for residency. If anyone needs any help, i would be more than happy to answer any questions.

Reactions: 6 users
i was 5 points off..
nbme 8: 210 (4 months out)
nbme 7: 236 ( 3 months out)
nbme 6: 240 (2 months out)
Free 120: 82% ( 4 weeks out)
uwsa1: 240 (2 weeks out)
uwsa2: 253 (1 week out)
uworld 1st pass 72% 2nd pass 80%

not sure what went wrong
Oh wow those are great predictor scores. It was just one day of performance so don’t let it affect you.

i was 5 points off..

not sure what went wrong

It is genuinely bizarre that something could possibly go wrong there. My NBME 7 was 235 before I took a long break. The only tests I did in the week or so before the exam were UWSA2 and Free120 getting 257 and 87%; your UW first pass was higher than mine and second a little lower... I ended up with >260. Your knowledge clearly isn't the problem and your ability to do the questions is not the problem. Did you get proper sleep before the test? Was there something extreme going on in the background? Were you ill? Have you previously had issues with anxiety on test days?
I just think that you need to figure out what happened that was not related to your knowledge or "question taking ability" because the problem definitely seems to be there as everything was pointing towards a good score.

Hey i honestly don't know what could have went wrong. I went to bed a little earlier that night and had surprisingly good sleep. I am usually nervous about taking tests regardless how prepared i think i am but that day i was pretty confident (based on my self assessments i think anyone would be). Took my breaks as i previously planned. When i came out of the exam i wasn't super exhausted or tired like step 1. I was feeling pretty good even though i knew i messed up on a few questions i figured i'd still get over a 230 worse case scenario. Never in my dreams did i think i would get this grade. Someone suggested getting it rescored but based on what people have told me it doesn't seem like it makes a difference and even if i do get it rescored i highly doubt it'll jump to a grade i'll be satisfied with... i guess i'll just have to write it again..
How was ur step 1 performance and ur assessments then?

Hey i honestly don't know what could have went wrong. I went to bed a little earlier that night and had surprisingly good sleep. I am usually nervous about taking tests regardless how prepared i think i am but that day i was pretty confident (based on my self assessments i think anyone would be). Took my breaks as i previously planned. When i came out of the exam i wasn't super exhausted or tired like step 1. I was feeling pretty good even though i knew i messed up on a few questions i figured i'd still get over a 230 worse case scenario. Never in my dreams did i think i would get this grade. Someone suggested getting it rescored but based on what people have told me it doesn't seem like it makes a difference and even if i do get it rescored i highly doubt it'll jump to a grade i'll be satisfied with... i guess i'll just have to write it again..

That is genuinely strange and considering all you have said, perhaps having it rescored would make sense, for the peace of mind if nothing else.
Something must have gone horribly wrong because you have had a consistent pattern of good performances prior to the test day.
Also, the previous poster raised an important question - how does it compare to your Step 1 experience?

I think the most important thing for you right now is to invest some time and energy into trying to figure out what caused this because (assuming you did your self assessments and UW block in relatively exam-like conditions) you seem to have the knowledge and test-taking ability to do well.

One last thought: did you do any of the "ANKI" CK decks or "CK notes pdf" or something like that prior to doing UW/UWSA - if you did, then it's possible that those were written from UW/UWSA concepts and that doing them inflated your practice scores.

So for step 1 again i was predicted to do mid 220s to low 230s i was only able to get a 210 so i was really hoping on step 2 to help me out. However for that exam i was so nervous i guess all that "step 1 is important" talk really got to me.
I did do ANKI but i barely even scratched the surface, i don't think it affected my uwsa cause those questions all were new to me.

It's difficult to really say much. The fact that your Step 1 performance was also lower than expected does suggest that there may be an anxiety issue or something like that. I can see how Step 2 CK can even exacerbate it considering the vagueness of the questions. I think the best you can do right now is take a bit of a rest, possibly redo UW to get back into "test taking mode", realise that you cannot change the past and that the "worst" has already happened, try to relax as much as you can, retake the exam and try to perceive it as just another 8 blocks of badly written UW questions. When you get a vague or ridiculous question, laugh it off - tell yourself something like - yeah, right, nobody is answering this one - and then move on to the next one. Worked for me!

i was 5 points off..

not sure what went wrong
With all due respect, I think your full of it. you just made an account a week ago, you never post on here, and all of the sudden you post this trolling experience of how your practice scores were amazing and then you failed CK? also your telling us that your step 1 , went the same way, you had again great practice scores and then barely passed with a 210, how come you didn't post about that experience on here then? also you performed lower on your step 1 than ck?? post your score report and I will apologize and believe you, and your practice exam scores. You also had a great nights sleep and didn't get any anxiety before the exam and then failed, unless you consume ungodly amounts of benzos right before bed, your most likely lying.
P.S. I am a pretty semi-gullible guy, and give benefit of doubt, and even I don't believe you.

Reactions: 1 users
good luck to everyone that's expecting their score this week. May we all pass and get the score we want/need.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok it time do right a wrong, and I wronged the other SDN member. He was telling the truth, I couldn't believe it, but he proved me wrong, therefore I apologize sincerely, it's hard enough sharing your experience on here, and I made it even harder by doubting this student. Again I apologize and you are truly a victim of history because of past trolls on here. I am going to dissect what went wrong, and wow the NBME's were so off!

With all due respect, I think your full of it. you just made an account a week ago, you never post on here, and all of the sudden you post this trolling experience of how your practice scores were amazing and then you failed CK? also your telling us that your step 1 , went the same way, you had again great practice scores and then barely passed with a 210, how come you didn't post about that experience on here then? also you performed lower on your step 1 than ck?? post your score report and I will apologize and believe you, and your practice exam scores. You also had a great nights sleep and didn't get any anxiety before the exam and then failed, unless you consume ungodly amounts of benzos right before bed, your most likely lying.
P.S. I am a pretty semi-gullible guy, and give benefit of doubt, and even I don't believe you.

Reactions: 4 users