Official 2019 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiousmind8

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please, limit your posts and questions to only CK exam experience related. It's hard for others to go through so many unrelated posts to finally a post about CK exam.

Thank you very much to all those who share their experience with everyone.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
U.S. IMG - Super low Step 1 - 191 (this was back in the day when passing was 188)

NBME 6 - 8 weeks prior - 190
UWSA 1 - 2.5 weeks prior - 215
UWSA 2 - 2 weeks prior - 215 (didn't finish ~10 questions, more about this below)

NBME 7 - 1 week prior - 216 (no problems with timing)
Free 120 - 3 days prior - 80%
NBME 8 - 2 days prior - 233
UWorld 1st pass - 57% | UWorld 2nd pass (just incorrects) - 82%, All Qs - 90%)

Step 2 CK: 229

My foundation was ridiculously weak since I've been removed from the material and my Step 1 for so long. It's been a long uphill battle getting back into test taking shape. My test seemed to have a bunch of Step 1-like garbage questions that I laughed off in my head, clicked, and moved on. For reference, I blindly guessed all 6 of my drug ad questions because I left them last and had zero time to sit and read through the ads.

As you can tell from my history of scores, I was pleasantly surprised and happy with the final outcome. I've been a longtime lurker here but wanted to share this to give those with lower practice scores hope. My goal was 230 so I got pretty close!

Getting multiple practice ~215s in a row was initially daunting and anxiety-inducing because I of course wanted to improve in a short amount of time but felt like I couldn't break this point barrier. But I knew in my core I could improve because my timing and test-taking was holding me back (4 Qs per block of blind guessing due to lack of time - think of it, that's 10% of the test!) and that area I could quickly improve on for sure. For funsies I re-calculated UWSA 2 after spending an additional 1 minute per question for the ones I blindly guessed on - my score jumped to 228, so I knew that if I managed my time better, I could hit that.

Thus, I would say UWSA 2 (with the recalculation) and NBME 8 were my closest predictors. NBME 7 is a notorious underpredictor so don't let that bring you down if you've been doing well on the others. I saw the biggest change in my final week of studying, when I had my back against the wall and it was do or die time. My gf literally sat next to me, timed and called out the # of seconds I spent on every Q as I practiced my timed, random UWorld blocks and it did wonders to change my internal clock/pacing. If you have problems with finishing blocks like I have, I highly recommend bringing in a buddy to do something similar and help analyze where you're getting stuck on.

I have a million other observations but I won't bog anyone down with the details unless they want to hear it or have specific questions.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i got high 220s not what i wanted but oh well could have been worse lol.
my UWSA1 was 252 and UWSA2 was 242. I also scored 10-15 lower than my assessment on my step 1 too.
I can imagine how it feels. But what else we can do except to accept our scores. Well All the best. Hope it doesn't effect your match process

Can anyone sign up for step 3 via fsmb? I'm expecting my result this week and I still can't sign up. CK is my last exam and my permit has disappeared.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dudeee this waiting game is really hard. I'm an IMG took my exam on october 7th, UWSA2 got 255 (1 month before the exam) then i did the UWSA1 270 one week before the exam, got 92% in the free 120 questions, did 100% of UW Qbank with 82% average ( first round), but i felt very bad during the exam many crazy questions with crazy options, I ran out of time in one of the Qbanks, felt pretty unsure of my answers. Everyone told me that this is a normal feeling after the exam but i'm getting crazy AF, hopefully I'll get anything above 250 but I feel like roughly I'll get 240.
Well I didn't write anything because I don't feel good about my score, it was 242.. pretty much below my UWSA and my UW but I was expecting less because I had an anxiety attack during my test but well good luck to everyone in your test.

Reactions: 1 user
is nbme 6 has a high predictive? I was shock that i got 200 with 39qs wrong from 184qs..
i had a low step 1 aroun 210, i must gave a great step 2..
haven’t finish uworld, 30% question done get around 69% correct..

Score is out.
STEP 1: 190s
STEP 2 CK: 220s

3 weeks of dedicated. UWorld, OME, MTB.

UWSA1: 230
UWSA2: 220
UW 2nd pass: 70%

Not what I wanted after a poor step 1. Praying for the best in the match.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone. I am an IMG with just over 5 years post graduation with step 1 240+ and step 2 250+. Can anyone recommend me IM or FM residency programs who do not have the 5 year cutoff post graduation inorder to be eligible to apply to their programs.

Hello everyone. I am an IMG with just over 5 years post graduation with step 1 240+ and step 2 250+. Can anyone recommend me IM or FM residency programs who do not have the 5 year cutoff post graduation inorder to be eligible to apply to their programs.
Hello Pay Station. Unfortunately, i cannot provide you with a list of programs, but i can tell you this: my friend who graduated in 2013, if i'm not mistaken, and has 3 years of gap in clinical practice, applied to several programs with 3 and 5 year cutoffs and he got an interview in these programs. maybe there were several other factors contributing to it, but still... he got 267/269/pass/259, GC holder, permanent resident for 3 years now. Graduated from Vitebsk Medical University, Belarus, Eastern Europe

Thanks. and I am guessing "the other contributing Factor" besides the out of this world step scores was personal connection with the programs because I heard some programs don't even look at your score if you are past their 3 or 5 years graduation cutoff point. But I heard/know a couple of 40 something IMGs(one of them was my internal medicine attending at my medical school) with 10 years plus post graduation with average step scores who have Matched. I also found some IM programs who have no limit or 6 to 10 year limit on Frieda, but the process is very time consuming and I was just hoping to have a list of programs with no or 6 to 10 cutoff point with out going through each program application criteria. Anyway thanks for your reply.

Thanks. and I am guessing "the other contributing Factor" besides the out of this world step scores was personal connection with the programs because I heard some programs don't even look at your score if you are past their 3 or 5 years graduation cutoff point. But I heard/know a couple of 40 something IMGs(one of them was my internal medicine attending at my medical school) with 10 years plus post graduation with average step scores who have Matched. I also found some IM programs who have no limit or 6 to 10 year limit on Frieda, but the process is very time consuming and I was just hoping to have a list of programs with no or 6 to 10 cutoff point with out going through each program application criteria. Anyway thanks for your reply.

By no means I want to come off as mean or rude here, but I had to say this: I see a common trend among many applicants that are in a disadvantageous position for the match, whether that is being an IMG, an FMG, a low scorer, an old grad, a person with a CS fail or someone with low funds, of seeking the path of least resistance and looking for quick and easy fixes - "how do i improve from 200 to 250 in 3 weeks?", "what's a list of programs with X, Y and Z specifics", "where can I find internships, observerships for free/without step scores requirements/no TOEFL", "what's a list of paid research opportunities?" are questions I see being asked quite often, especially in the relevant Facebook forums. Your first post in this forum is asking for a program list and it's not even in the relevant forum section.

What you should be doing instead is putting in the extra work required to make up for your deficiencies. You should come up with that list and noone else. After all, there is no cookie cutter list that can match everyone's profile to a program. You might be an old grad with low scores but lots of research that got an interview invitation from a program - an old grad with mediocre scores and no research might stand no chance there.

And yes it is going to be time consuming. The more thorough you want to be in your search, the more time consuming the process is going to be. Even if you got a pre-made list, would you trust it? How would you know they didn't leave out a program that might perfectly match your situtation? If you 're not commited enough to put in the hours in order to make a decision that would probably define your whole career, what incentive would any program have to hire you anyway? What work ethic would that reflect to a PD?

I know you are right b/c the 2018 IMGs Nrmp data showed that many non US IMGs with low scores, got into primary care residencies and also some non US IMGs got into the highly competitive programs like derm with average and even low scores Not only that the data showed that people who got step scores below the current pass score (people who took the step when the pass score was lower) have matched. So I know that especially for old IMGs or low scoreres hard work in research and persistence matters the most (not low/high scores or graduation year). I suppose I just got a overwhelmed by the application process(passed my last step 3 days ago).

not sure where i stand. exam this monday,
NBME7: 211 (i hear this underpredicts like crazy)
UWSA 1 (yesterday): 252

cant wait to be done. step 1 low 230s

Hey everyone, im sorry if this has already been discussed on a previous page but how similar did the actual exam feel to uworld? Were the questions the same level of difficulty for the most part with the same types of questions or did it feel like the nbmes/shelf exams? Also has anyone used Amboss or its library to revise and found it helpful?

240s to low 250s, take UWSA2 that will help

Unfortunately I was planning to take CK in july and used UW2....pretty much bombed it and had to push it to today.

Exam was meh....i felt like i could think things through and confidently answer most of them. Some were out of left field and others were step 1 bullsht that i didnt review. Whatever i just need a pass.

Unfortunately I was planning to take CK in july and used UW2....pretty much bombed it and had to push it to today.

Exam was meh....i felt like i could think things through and confidently answer most of them. Some were out of left field and others were step 1 bullsht that i didnt review. Whatever i just need a pass.
U recommend going through fa step1?

Was a gruelling xperience....will i pass?
Nbme8(8weeks):230
Nbme6(5weeks):243
Uwsa1(1 week b4): 255
Uwsa2(3days b4):253
Nbme7(2days b4): 243
I cant feel myself again..:bang:

I hope I can help with my experience as an IMG from LatinAmerica
Step 1 250
My Step 2CK experience:
UWorld: 89% (1-2pass) I couldn’t complete it because of time, I did roughly 80-85% the first time and then I reset it in time and random mode, and did 65% then.
Free 120: 89% (4.5 weeks out)
UWSA1: 274 (4 weeks out)
NBME 6: 258 (2 weeks out)
NBME 7: 247 (1 week out)
UWSA 2: 266 (3 days out)
Real score: 263, just received it (13/11/2019)

I felt the exam difficult but pretty fair. I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn’t be able to go back to sleep, it was awful. I was pretty tired during the exam. I got 20 questions I was sure were wrong, some of them were easy ones. Obviously I got more questions wrong, but who knows.
I didn’t feel bad afterwards but I wasn’t sure about what my score would be.

Materials used: UWorld (80-85%done), FirstAid book, OME (60% of videos) and Anki cards (~90% reviewed).
My advice: Trust on your UWSAs scores and on what you’ve studied.
Sleep well!

Last edited:
Step 1 250
My Step 2CK experience:
UWorld: 89% (1-2pass) I couldn’t complete it because of time, I did roughly 80-85% for the first time and then I reset it in time and random mode, and did 65% then.
NBME 7: 247 (1 weeks out)

I felt the exam was difficult but pretty fair. I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn’t be able to go back to sleep, it was awful. I was pretty tired when taking the exam. I got 20 questions I was sure were wrong, some of them were easy ones. Obviously I got more questions wrong, but who knows.

Materials used: UWorld (80-85%done), FirstAid book, OME (60% of videos) and Anki cards (~90% reviewed).
Sleep well!

Congrats on the score! Also got a 263 today and am super excited! Interestingly, one of my friends also got a 263, which made me wonder, what's the likelihood that NBME sent out incorrect score reports today where everyone got a 263? haha I know this is very unlikely, but paranoid me is starting to worry there was a glitch in the system...

Congrats! Did you remember some questions u got wrong..about how many..?
Step 1 250
My Step 2CK experience:
UWorld: 89% (1-2pass) I couldn’t complete it because of time, I did roughly 80-85% for the first time and then I reset it in time and random mode, and did 65% then.
NBME 7: 247 (1 weeks out)

I felt the exam was difficult but pretty fair. I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn’t be able to go back to sleep, it was awful. I was pretty tired when taking the exam. I got 20 questions I was sure were wrong, some of them were easy ones. Obviously I got more questions wrong, but who knows.

Sleep well!

Congrats on the score! Also got a 263 today and am super excited! Interestingly, one of my friends also got a 263, which made me wonder, what's the likelihood that NBME sent out incorrect score reports today where everyone got a 263? haha I know this is very unlikely, but paranoid me is starting to worry there was a glitch in the system...
I wouldn't call that a glitch, i'd call that a blessing, and if it was a 263 by accident, not the best idea to announce it on SDN ;) lol, regardless congrats on that score haha!

Thanks for input on exam, will def review FA 1 now! I'm sure you got close your range, just to confirm, UW was all you needed right?

Does anybody know, if you are a IMG radiologist, how can you even apply for the non-acgme fellowships, since for them you would need a permit to practice medicine, which you can only get, if you've done 3 years of postgrad training in an acgme accredited program? I am a bit confused regarding that topic.. And does anybody know, if fellowships in radiology are competitive, where one would need a high score on usmle (I know it wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it would ever be feasible for me to take so much time off to properly prepare for the steps, unless I am more than a year jobless).

Does anybody know, if you are a IMG radiologist, how can you even apply for the non-acgme fellowships, since for them you would need a permit to practice medicine, which you can only get, if you've done 3 years of postgrad training in an acgme accredited program? I am a bit confused regarding that topic.. And does anybody know, if fellowships in radiology are competitive, where one would need a high score on usmle (I know it wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it would ever be feasible for me to take so much time off to properly prepare for the steps, unless I am more than a year jobless).

My dude, this is for people taking the step 2 CK exam. Most (all) of us are not anywhere near that point in our career. You’ll probably have better luck posting your question in a different area.

Thank you for the answer, but I am aware of this site, where sadly they say new changes by ACGME won't influence the alternate pathway, which is clearly not true.

Thank you for the answer, but I am aware of this site, where sadly they say new changes by ACGME won't influence the alternate pathway, which is clearly not true.

Actually it is true. Many/most radiology fellowships are not ACGME accredited for a variety of reasons, including at top 5 programs. Therefore, ACGME changes are probably not relevant. Of course you can always contact the ABR directly with specific questions pertaining to your situation.

Taking my exam at December 3 in Vilnius, Lithuania.
Studied Onlinemeded lecturs
went through amboss qbank (74% correct on 1st run, about 95% correct on 2nd run, only 500 questions or so)
uworld 1st run 84% correct, 2nd run for now is 93% (1600 questions done)
UWSA1 263 (at the beginning of October)
UWSA2 262 (at the beginning of November)
Feeling more and more anxious as the exam is beoming closer. I will keep you updated

Hi all,
Got my CK score today. Thought I’d give you my practice exam scores and such;

UWSA1 - 258
UWSA2 - 264
Form 8(can’t remember which number actually) - 260
UW First pass (did not finish uworld, had about 600 questions left) - 80%
Free 120 - 88%
Actual score - 263

really only did uworld, didn’t use any secondary sources or any review books. Uworld is the GOAT
Good luck to all.

not too thoroughly. does help to know genetics (autosomal dom vs recessive) of common diseases, immunodeficiencies, liposomal d/o, mechanisms of common drugs but thats about it.
although everyone's experience and test is different, I will say I had 0 questions pertaining to these things (except immunodeficiencies of course). obviously over the content outline it is fairgame, but I would NOT obsess over step 1 FA.

Hi all,
Got my CK score today. Thought I’d give you my practice exam scores and such;

UWSA1 - 258
UWSA2 - 264
Form 8(can’t remember which number actually) - 260
UW First pass (did not finish uworld, had about 600 questions left) - 80%
Free 120 - 88%
Actual score - 263

really only did uworld, didn’t use any secondary sources or any review books. Uworld is the GOAT
Good luck to all.
Congrats! How was ur exam day? Did u feel u failed many questions?...how was ur post exam feeling?....congrats again!

Congrats! How was ur exam day? Did u feel u failed many questions?...how was ur post exam feeling?....congrats again!
Thank you! Exam day was fine. I had a similar experience to step 1 (i.e. there was 1 super hard block, 1 super easy, and the rest kinda in the middle). Definitely had a number of questions that I had 0 clue on the answer, just gotta keep moving and stay positive. After the exam I felt like I probably scored in the 240s or so, but I think most people feel pretty junky after it. Definitely hit a wall around the 2nd to last block, and of course my last block was heavy on biostats (woof). I didnt use all my breaks, probably could have slowed down more and recharged but also just wanted to bust outa there :) GL!

Hi all,

It's my first time posting but I have lurked this thread after my CK exam, and wanted to provide my experience.

I took 4-5 weeks of dedicated study on and off and did all of UWorld. I tried to repeat it but got through 300 q's. I did a little more than half of AMBOSS as well.

UWSA1 = 258
UWSA2 = 253
but I cheated on both lol

I took the exam Nov 2 and after the first block I thought cool this isn't so bad, but next block was hard af. I had a 3 q drug article and guessed c for all three, because I had no idea what it was asking. Blocks 3-6 were a blur, but I remember being pressed for time in every last one of them. During my last 2 blocks, I became irritated at the length of the exam but the questions were manageable. I walked out the testing center feeling OK, but with a headache. I estimated missing 30 q's including some easy ones. I started looking on here for people's thoughts and everyone who thought they failed did well. So the past 3 weeks I thought I failed or did very mediocre.

I got my test result today and it was 255 right between my UWSAs! So the bottom line is UWSAs seem to correlate well for me at least, and having an "OK" post exam feeling does not mean you failed or will do poorly. :)

Cheers to all!

Greetings to everyone. Took my CK exam at December 3rd. The exam felt much more like Uworld (unlike Step1). Vignettes were pretty much similar to uw, but the answer options were not. I almost never encountered any of the expected answer choices. Instead of 1st line treatments there were 2nd lines or drugs which can be used, but better use others, etc. Cannot really tell where do i stand, but i hope i will break the point of 250 or 260
uwsa1 263
uwsa2 262
amboss 74%
uworld 1st run 84% 2nd run 92%