Official 2019 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiousmind8

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please, limit your posts and questions to only CK exam experience related. It's hard for others to go through so many unrelated posts to finally a post about CK exam.

Thank you very much to all those who share their experience with everyone.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
US IMG, took on 1/27 got score back in Wed.

NBME 6 252 6 weeks prior
UWorld 1 254 6 weeks prior
NBME 7 243 5 weeks prior
NBME 8 254 4 weeks prior
NBME Online 89% 3 weeks prior
UWorld 2 252 3 week prior

Real Deal 259.

Average in the exam was 244 and SD 17

hope this helps someone. Let me know if anyone wants to know how I study. I studied for 2 months dedicated.

I found that doing Step is 70% knowledge and 30% technique. I aced the technique pretty well I feel.

I definitely feel I got at least 20 wrong. I feel better than my step 1 but was still nervous.

Tell me some about those techniques. I feel this is what i'm missing. I'm scoring 240s in my practices but when reviewing i realize i have changed so many right answers that could have easily put me in the high 250s low 260s range. My exam is next week.

Tell me some about those techniques. I feel this is what i'm missing. I'm scoring 240s in my practices but when reviewing i realize i have changed so many right answers that could have easily put me in the high 250s low 260s range. My exam is next week.

I feel there are 3 components to exam taking techniques: Time, Place and Person:

Time: If you write the exam at 8:00, do the same with all your practice test. Set up a routine a week prior, like 7:00 wake up; 7:15 make coffee 7:20 drink coffee etc.... keep doing that for the whole week. On the day of the exam, do the same and you will feel everything is ready. Make that coffee, drink it and when you do the exam, you will feel energized.

Place: Be familiar where you take your exam. Do an onsite practice exam if you can, get a feel of the test center. Have a feel how the environment best suits you, so in the real exam you know what to bring into the test center. Also this make you kind of feel how your routine will be in the actual exam. For example, is you feel really tired after block 2 you know you might need some caffeine after block 2 and you will have something ready in the real exam.

I noticed I have to stay focus or else my score will fall off the cliff so I prepare a couple of PRN energy drinks (not for everyone) and big cans, not small ones.

Person: In step 1 I usually have at least 20 min spare time to go back and review, not in step 2.

I know that each question I finished, I will most likely not have time to review or change answers. So I take the time to answer each question because that's most likely my final answer. My strategy is get it correct the first time which is more important than having spare time to review questions. So even though I only have 10 min left in the end I did not freak out because I try my best in each qu.

I spaced out breaks 10 min between each sections.

Finally learn to trust yourself, its hard but keep telling yourself that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
US IMG, took on 1/27 got score back in Wed.

NBME 6 252 6 weeks prior
UWorld 1 254 6 weeks prior
NBME 7 243 5 weeks prior
NBME 8 254 4 weeks prior
NBME Online 89% 3 weeks prior
UWorld 2 252 3 week prior

Real Deal 259.

Average in the exam was 244 and SD 17

hope this helps someone. Let me know if anyone wants to know how I study. I studied for 2 months dedicated.

I found that doing Step is 70% knowledge and 30% technique. I aced the technique pretty well I feel.

I definitely feel I got at least 20 wrong. I feel better than my step 1 but was still nervous.

how did you prep in these 2 months dedicated study? which materials did you use?
edit : i have been hearing a lot of psych, ethics and biostats from test takers. any good sources to review them apart from uworld?

Members don't see this ad :)
how did you prep in these 2 months dedicated study? which materials did you use?
edit : i have been hearing a lot of psych, ethics and biostats from test takers. any good sources to review them apart from uworld?

I got the break down of questions after the exam. Psych is around 10-15% of the exam, not that much. Questions number Medicine>>Surgery>Peds>OB=Psy. Biostats is not too hard surprisingly I am pretty sure I got most of them correct. It's really how you interpret the article they give you. OME stats is not very helpful to be honest amboss is better.

Ethics is super random, there is no book for it I guessed by common sense haha.

I redid Online Med Ed Once, finish rereading Pestana, first aid psy, step up to med. Have BRS peds, blueprrint OB to review subjects I am not good at. Also redid all holliday lectures.

I cannot stress enough that finish reading STEP UP TO MED is a MUST

One question ask about ovarian cysts mgmt of different size I wish I read that chapter in Blueprints.

Also I relentlessly write down all my UWorld explanation and annotated my step up to med.

Psychiatry: First Aid Psy
Pediatrics: BRS
OB/GYN: Blueprintes
Surgery: Pestana
Medicine: Step up to Med
Biostats: OME, Amboss

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just to confirm cuz im getting uber anxious plus i have ptsd from score reports: my permit just disappeared, but the step 3 trick doesnt work, that begins to work if it does monday or tuesday before score release correct??

I thought it was a lot like uworld/uwsas. I barely finished each section but that’s because I second guessed myself on a lot. It was a very difficult test and I may have failed but I was surprised by how straightforward the questions were and I think that psyched me out a lot. A lot of questions I was stuck between two answer choices and that sucked, I knew what they were asking but they were very nit picky on the answers and would always stick either the next best two steps so you had to have the sequence down or they’d put the second and third line treatments vs the 1st and 2nd. There were so many that were management questions dealing with what screening test you should perform which was annoying as well. Mine was heavy on ob and that was a nice surprise for me.

Reactions: 2 users
I thought it was a lot like uworld/uwsas. I barely finished each section but that’s because I second guessed myself on a lot. It was a very difficult test and I may have failed but I was surprised by how straightforward the questions were and I think that psyched me out a lot. A lot of questions I was stuck between two answer choices and that sucked, I knew what they were asking but they were very nit picky on the answers and would always stick either the next best two steps so you had to have the sequence down or they’d put the second and third line treatments vs the 1st and 2nd. There were so many that were management questions dealing with what screening test you should perform which was annoying as well. Mine was heavy on ob and that was a nice surprise for me.
Thanks for reporting back. After seeing the questions In the real deal would you still recommend using uw as the primary source. Anything else you recommend picking up on? Thanks again and all the best!!

Congrats on being done!!! Welcome now to the waiting game glad it went okay for you, praying uou get the results you desire!

Thanks for reporting back. After seeing the questions In the real deal would you still recommend using uw as the primary source. Anything else you recommend picking up on? Thanks again and all the best!!
I wouldn’t really recommend much outside of it. 75% of the test I saw in uworld. Everything else I saw in random other resources. Zanki and wiwa probably have everything covered. It felt like I was taking a uwsa just more franticy because, well, it’s the real thing. Abstracts were just like in Uworld, I only had two of those. Other than that I’m really not sure why I was so stressed on time. Length was very similar to Uworld. I always finished with 10-15 minutes in those. Real thing maybe 5 minutes to spare, sometimes no time. Could’ve done really well or I could’ve failed though. Hate that, but it’s all I’ve got lol

Reactions: 1 user
Just to confirm cuz im getting uber anxious plus i have ptsd from score reports: my permit just disappeared, but the step 3 trick doesnt work, that begins to work if it does monday or tuesday before score release correct??
My permit is also gone and was expecting results this wednesday. Pretty nervous i underperformed by a large margin. Im not sure about the step 3 trick bc i didnt try it

My permit is also gone and was expecting results this wednesday. Pretty nervous i underperformed by a large margin. Im not sure about the step 3 trick bc i didnt try it

I decided ill check step 3 trick sunday; but will refrain from looking til scores come back wednesday, because the stress of seeing if i can apply is too much

Members don't see this ad :)
just tried it. didn't work for me. ill try again tomorrow and Tuesday and let you know

What is the trick exactly? FSMB apply step 3?

Yes after you sign up and get a login, you click on step 3 apply and as of now it says Im not eligible to sign up/apply for step 3! Which can mean two things either ecfmg has not send them my score report yet or another possiblity im not gonna even think of, since positive thoughts i hope bring positive results

If the trick works for one of you guys could you update us? Thanks!
I'm expecting my results this Wednesday, permit disappeared on Saturday. I've been checking FCVS which shows the date of my test but under Pass/Fail Status it's blank, so I don't think the FSMB has been updated with the results yet.

I'm expecting my results this Wednesday, permit disappeared on Saturday. I've been checking FCVS which shows the date of my test but under Pass/Fail Status it's blank, so I don't think the FSMB has been updated with the results yet.

Did step 3 trick work though?

Any change in the FCV?

Any change in the FCV?
I can't try the Step 3 registration trick as I haven't done CS yet. No change in FCVS, still blank. But on the recent CS results thread, it didn't update for them until late on Tuesday/early hours Wednesday.

I can't try the Step 3 registration trick as I haven't done CS yet. No change in FCVS, still blank. But on the recent CS results thread, it didn't update for them until late on Tuesday/early hours Wednesday.

Thanks
Sorry been filling this post with my neurotic anxiety but so much rides on this for me, my second time and I just need to know my hard work paid off

I just came from taking the real deal just a couple of hours ago, and i agree with you on that. Felt a lot like uworld/uwsa. I'm having mixed feeling about this. Which is different compared to my Step 1 experience. Now the waiting game starts.

I just came from taking the real deal just a couple of hours ago, and i agree with you on that. Felt a lot like uworld/uwsa. I'm having mixed feeling about this. Which is different compared to my Step 1 experience. Now the waiting game starts.
Yeah, I don’t know how I did or even if I passed but I definitely felt like Uworld prepared me for at least 70% of it. The rest of it was very mixed. Most of the questions felt pretty straightforward it was more the answers that threw me off because they were never best choice always 2nd or 3rd choices. I felt like the biostats would’ve been easier had I not been stressed on time and I think that time was the most stressful/frustrating thing for me. For the last two weeks before my test I even practiced only timed mode and made it a goal to consistently finish blocks with at least 10 minutes to spare but for the real thing the most time I ever had left over was 5 minutes. Most of the time I had to literally speed read through the last 3 and make my best guess because I only had 2 minutes left

Yeah, I don’t know how I did or even if I passed but I definitely felt like Uworld prepared me for at least 70% of it. The rest of it was very mixed. Most of the questions felt pretty straightforward it was more the answers that threw me off because they were never best choice always 2nd or 3rd choices. I felt like the biostats would’ve been easier had I not been stressed on time and I think that time was the most stressful/frustrating thing for me. For the last two weeks before my test I even practiced only timed mode and made it a goal to consistently finish blocks with at least 10 minutes to spare but for the real thing the most time I ever had left over was 5 minutes. Most of the time I had to literally speed read through the last 3 and make my best guess because I only had 2 minutes left

Our experience sounds very similar. I felt comfortable with roughly 70% of the material on there as well. And as you said for almost every questions i was all good reading it until i get to the answer choices for some where i'd be like "Oh snap!" LOL. But overall i don't feel it went horrible but i'm not feeling like i don't have to worry about it just like i felt after Step 1. Feeling like it can go either way. And time was really an issue for me and that has always been for me, so i was just making sure i get through all the questions. I had to blindly pick an answer for at least the last 2 or 3 questions in every blocks. To make it worse i had 2 blocks with those infamous 3 question abstracts combo and i probably missed them all. Anyways now i'm just trying to do not think about it much and wait. LOL.

Our experience sounds very similar. I felt comfortable with roughly 70% of the material on there as well. And as you said for almost every questions i was all good reading it until i get to the answer choices for some where i'd be like "Oh snap!" LOL. But overall i don't feel it went horrible but i'm not feeling like i don't have to worry about it just like i felt after Step 1. Feeling like it can go either way. And time was really an issue for me and that has always been for me, so i was just making sure i get through all the questions. I had to blindly pick an answer for at least the last 2 or 3 questions in every blocks. To make it worse i had 2 blocks with those infamous 3 question abstracts combo and i probably missed them all. Anyways now i'm just trying to do not think about it much and wait. LOL.
Sounds like we had the same test. Good luck to you