Official 2020-2021 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NJMS has the best Admin and Support for Therapeutic or Transplant and they have motility and IBD too.

all others should be ranked below Rugers NJMS.

Thanks ShiShi! Do you know anything about the other programs? Do you think ancillary staff really matters as much for fellowship as it did for IM?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks ShiShi! Do you know anything about the other programs? Do you think ancillary staff really matters as much for fellowship as it did for IM?

No or yes, it matters just for having a mentor for academics. Other programs I know about, I was actually going to write it, but I will rank them for you.

1. Rutgers NJMS
2. Hofstra
3. Queens
4. Lenox Hill
5. DOWNSTATE

No or yes, it matters just for having a mentor for academics. Other programs I know about, I was actually going to write it, but I will rank them for you.

1. Rutgers NJMS
2. Hofstra
3. Queens
4. Lenox Hill
5. DOWNSTATE

SUNY Downstate have that many red flags? I knew about this one but not about the community ones surrounding the area. Have you heard stories?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any thoughts about: University of Tennessee-Memphis, University of Tennessee-Chattanooga, Emory, West Virginia?

Struggling with whether or not to rank some of the programs I interviewed at as I don't think I'll get the experience or opportunities I'm looking for in a fellowship. Feel like I'd rather be willing to not match and attempt again next cycle. Just wondering if anyone knows if applying a second time is treated as a red flag by programs? If that were the case then I'd rather rank those programs then.

Struggling with whether or not to rank some of the programs I interviewed at as I don't think I'll get the experience or opportunities I'm looking for in a fellowship. Feel like I'd rather be willing to not match and attempt again next cycle. Just wondering if anyone knows if applying a second time is treated as a red flag by programs? If that were the case then I'd rather rank those programs then.

you won’t list the programs you’re referring to and leave us in suspense?

Reactions: 2 users
SUNY Downstate have that many red flags? I knew about this one but not about the community ones surrounding the area. Have you heard stories?

I do not want to say anything bad but it downstate has its administration issues

I do not want to say anything bad but it downstate has its administration issues

Shishimd seems to know something about most programs. I just find that hard to believe. Take with a grain of salt

Shishimd seems to know something about most programs. I just find that hard to believe. Take with a grain of salt
Once you are in the field of GI and have good networking, it's not that difficult to know about programs. Even as an applicant, I have already gathered a lot of information about many programs. Let's be thankful to Shishimd for all the information.

Reactions: 5 users
Thoughts on the Stony Brook program compared to Robert Wood Johnson or U Rochester?

Once you are in the field of GI and have good networking, it's not that difficult to know about programs. Even as an applicant, I have already gathered a lot of information about many programs. Let's be thankful to Shishimd for all the information.

I know ShiShiMD is certainly only trying to help, but I also caution the utilization of this information in making personal, life altering decisions; for example, if one were to not rank SYNY downstate based on an anonymous poster's comment of 'administrative problems', then I think that would be a poor decision. perhaps you dont want to go to SUNY downstate anyway, for geographic reasons, or you don't think it's a right fit. but to make major decision based on questionable tips, is also the wrong thing to do. You don't know ANY context for ShishiMD's comments. is it something he/she heard 10 years ago? is it the fellowship coordinator who has now left? is it related to faculty-only problems, or involves fellow too? most importantly, does it affect the fellow's training?

my institution also has horrible administrative problems ,but it was still the right decision for me to come here. so yes, as i said before, take these comments with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 1 users
Would appreciate any input on Ochsner versus Cl
eveland Clinic Florida?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know ShiShiMD is certainly only trying to help, but I also caution the utilization of this information in making personal, life altering decisions; for example, if one were to not rank SYNY downstate based on an anonymous poster's comment of 'administrative problems', then I think that would be a poor decision. perhaps you dont want to go to SUNY downstate anyway, for geographic reasons, or you don't think it's a right fit. but to make major decision based on questionable tips, is also the wrong thing to do. You don't know ANY context for ShishiMD's comments. is it something he/she heard 10 years ago? is it the fellowship coordinator who has now left? is it related to faculty-only problems, or involves fellow too? most importantly, does it affect the fellow's training?

my institution also has horrible administrative problems ,but it was still the right decision for me to come here. so yes, as i said before, take these comments with a grain of salt.

I think it’s just hard this year because for programs we cannot visit we have to resort to the word of others. I for instance being no where near the region of NYC and have no clue how these hospitals function, and having a home program that is silent about outside programs, we can become quite desperate for inside information. Downstate is one that gets a lot of praise for clinical exposure and yet so seems so infamous amongst people who know how Kings County works with regards to the scutwork of the housestaff. I am trying to gauge the differences of doing fellowship at these types of hospitals and see if it really holds me back from being simply a PP/community GI practioner in a region outside of NY.

I think it’s just hard this year because for programs we cannot visit we have to resort to the word of others. I for instance being no where near the region of NYC and have no clue how these hospitals function, and having a home program that is silent about outside programs, we can become quite desperate for inside information. Downstate is one that gets a lot of praise for clinical exposure and yet so seems so infamous amongst people who know how Kings County works with regards to the scutwork of the housestaff. I am trying to gauge the differences of doing fellowship at these types of hospitals and see if it really holds me back from being simply a PP/community GI practioner in a region outside of NY.

The answer is no, it would not. PP doesn’t care about what program you went to.

you won’t list the programs you’re referring to and leave us in suspense?

hahaha yes I would rather not say out of respect for those programs and for any candidates who those programs might be high on their rank list. But the reasons vary from location to the strengths not lining up to my career goals or the program weaknesses not best setting me up for my future career goals. I was just wondering if applying a second time is seen as a red flag or not?

hahaha yes I would rather not say out of respect for those programs and for any candidates who those programs might be high on their rank list. But the reasons vary from location to the strengths not lining up to my career goals or the program weaknesses not best setting me up for my future career goals. I was just wondering if applying a second time is seen as a red flag or not?

Are you ready to mention the bolded when you potentially apply the 2nd time around?

I've done quite a bit of reading on this forum regarding how high applicants have matched-some at instutions that they have ranked #1 and others pretty low on their list 8-10 etc. Has anyone ever heard from the other side such as from fellowship directors as to how low they have matched. I know that in some internal medicine programs-some may match at relatively lower positions due to the amount of applicants ranked and positions available...but in GI how does this play out on the side of the programs? Probably a loaded question and there isn't any way to really know this but it would be interesting if there is perspective on this.

I've done quite a bit of reading on this forum regarding how high applicants have matched-some at instutions that they have ranked #1 and others pretty low on their list 8-10 etc. Has anyone ever heard from the other side such as from fellowship directors as to how low they have matched. I know that in some internal medicine programs-some may match at relatively lower positions due to the amount of applicants ranked and positions available...but in GI how does this play out on the side of the programs? Probably a loaded question and there isn't any way to really know this but it would be interesting if there is perspective on this.
To piggy back on this question, is there a way for programs to see where an applicant they ranked match (through NRMP)? This is of course assuming that that applicant didn’t match at their program..

Chessmaster is correct. My opinion is biased and as I have mentioned to many people who have msgd me regarding downstate, I always say rank all programs.

An example of an administrative issue @ChessMaster3000 is when you graduate and 1 year later when applying for credentialing at a hospital outside the trisate, it will take them 6 months to answer emails, phone calls or the person in charge of verification of credentials is now on leave.

But most importantly you will receive the same education that follows the ACG-ASGE-AASLD-ANMS guidelines with respect to ACGME.

me I ranked downstate number 11, I took my vacation month and 1 week of admin leave to attend interviews all over the tristate NY area and go to places like Mayo, Harvard, Yale.

Than when I was a fellow I literally interviewed for every other week after 14 months of training. I have seen almost all academic or private practice like any other GI fellow wanting something more after graduation.

But rank all programs. @ChessMaster3000 I always enjoy your critique of my posts, it makes me write long posts like this, miss you dude.

Once you looking for a job you get to see this from a whole new angle and you are correct gather so much more info. Dont burn bridges in interviews, you interview again , maybe , some in the future for attending or locum

Chessmaster is correct. My opinion is biased and as I have mentioned to many people who have msgd me regarding downstate, I always say rank all programs.

An example of an administrative issue @ChessMaster3000 is when you graduate and 1 year later when applying for credentialing at a hospital outside the trisate, it will take them 6 months to answer emails, phone calls or the person in charge of verification of credentials is now on leave.

But most importantly you will receive the same education that follows the ACG-ASGE-AASLD-ANMS guidelines with respect to ACGME.

me I ranked downstate number 11, I took my vacation month and 1 week of admin leave to attend interviews all over the tristate NY area and go to places like Mayo, Harvard, Yale.

Than when I was a fellow I literally interviewed for every other week after 14 months of training. I have seen almost all academic or private practice like any other GI fellow wanting something more after graduation.

But rank all programs. @ChessMaster3000 I always enjoy your critique of my posts, it makes me write long posts like this, miss you dude.

Ha! Thank you for taking my comments so professionally. Well done

Please put my anxiety to rest - everyone registered for the "2020 Medical Specialties Matching Program" when they registered with NRMP? Not specifically something that says GI?

Please put my anxiety to rest - everyone registered for the "2020 Medical Specialties Matching Program" when they registered with NRMP? Not specifically something that says GI?
yes match year 2020, appt 2021

Correct. It is just SMS.

Is it a bad sign that I received no post interview communication from all the programs? Ran into the H/O PD at my institution and she asked if I have received any. I was like "Fuuuuuuuck..."

Is it a bad sign that I received no post interview communication from all the programs? Ran into the H/O PD at my institution and she asked if I have received any. I was like "Fuuuuuuuck..."
I received minimal and only a few tha k responses to my thank yous

Tommy Dewey Waiting GIF by NOW WE'RE TALKING TV SERIES

I received minimal and only a few tha k responses to my thank yous
But you did receive some communications other than the replies to your thank you email? Well not sure what that means for my case but nothing to do about it now I guess.

But you did receive some communications other than the replies to your thank you email?

I did not get any other communication aside from replies to my thank you. I did not get a reply to my "you're my number 1 program," either. I am not going to read into it.

I did not get any other communication aside from replies to my thank you. I did not get a reply to my "you're my number 1 program," either. I am not going to read into it.
Same here for clarification

Never Received a thank-you communication, I have over 12000 emails I don't read. Mail at this time with all the stuff, never even read it. So I so I understand for anyone not getting any post thank you email or hand written note.

if they do send or write handwritten send some gift basket to the program for Christmas when you match. Say Happy Holidays from incoming fellow Dr. XXXXXXXX

I received some from 2, semi desperate programs. None from 8-9 high end programs.

1. Northwestern with King JP
2.UAB with the inventors
3.NYU strong
4. Rutgers tough
5. MUSC proud

you wont pass your number 2
Most of the inventors left UAB.. however it is still a great program..

I received a “Reminder” email from a program (prior to submitting rank list) to remember to register for NRMP, certify list, etc. It was sent to me and one other applicant. I had done everything correctly up until that point so it wasn’t because I was doing something wrong. Any ideas what it could mean? and why was it only sent to 2 people.. and the program director was cc’d in the email.

I received a “Reminder” email from a program (prior to submitting rank list) to remember to register for NRMP, certify list, etc. It was sent to me and one other applicant. I had done everything correctly up until that point so it wasn’t because I was doing something wrong. Any ideas what it could mean? and why was it only sent to 2 people.. and the program director was cc’d in the email.
Were there only 2 spots at the program?

I received a similar email but I was the only one.

Has anyone heard anything back from Stanford's hepatology fellowship?

Have you ever held the old endoscopes, is an epic experience.
yeah... we still have a lot of 180s at our place.. a couple of pentaxes as well... while the image quality and ergonomics of pentax suck (my hands are somewhat small) , they are stiffer scopes ,which makes colons easier sometimes

yeah... we still have a lot of 180s at our place.. a couple of pentaxes as well... while the image quality and ergonomics of pentax suck (my hands are somewhat small) , they are stiffer scopes ,which makes colons easier sometimes

its much harder to torque with Pentax and I feel my both my hands get tired more easily (my left because I’m using more dial and my right because I’m having to exert more force to torque). The resolution on Pentax is what bothers me the most though.

Time has never gone by so slowly and I am getting random bouts of anxiety.

Reactions: 5 users
Time has never gone by so slowly and I am getting random bouts of anxiety.
until this day I still have never understood how It can take weeks to release the match results from an algorithm that in no way in 2020 does it take longer than 5 minutes to run...... I mean how many BILLION OR TRILLION operations per second does the average cell phone or cheap black Friday laptop perform? It just needs to spit out 500 matches....500!

until this day I still have never understood how It can take weeks to release the match results from an algorithm that in no way in 2020 does it take longer than 5 minutes to run...... I mean how many BILLION OR TRILLION operations per second does the average cell phone or cheap black Friday laptop perform? It just needs to spit out 500 matches....500!
How many roughly applicants applied this year? Will this be the most competitive year to date?

How many roughly applicants applied this year? Will this be the most competitive year to date?
the number of applicants doesnt matter as much as the category in which the applicant falls under: AMG, US-IMG or IMG on visa. The match % are vastly different for each of these categories.