Official 2020-2021 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for an IMG, this is one of the strongest apps i have seen on this forum this year. congratulations. '3 GI submissions' implies they are not yet accepted? obviously, not ideal but still respectable.

agree chief from community program doesnt mean much, if anything, it is expected.
Thank you. 1 of them was accepted, awaiting publication. Hoping another one will be accepted by the application deadline this year.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you. 1 of them was accepted, awaiting publication. Hoping another one will be accepted by the application deadline this year.
Make it is listed in your application as in press if accepted but not published

hello all,

Just coming back after moving to my new work and practice, moved, IDs, and all other things are controlled alongside COVID-19.

Now that I am back I will try to answer some questions and be a support in this process.

I apologize for my absence during these times. Many of your questions could be found by looking at the last 2-3 years of threads. on the forum. I am assuming the way programs all invite and will do Ivs (online- or hybrid) will come out like past years.

Now we wait and I know each one of you will get a match at someplace.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys quick question on the ERAS application side of things--
For ACG/DDW poster acceptances, they say that they will post our abstracts in Gastroenterology journal. I have found both of mine and have an issue and volume number. Do these fall under the category of "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts"? I'm not trying to mislabel anything, just curious.

Thanks!

Yes, We know when we look at it when you list it and will search for it to read before you come in for an interview what the research was about if we find it extremely interesting. If not just will read it to gauge how your research skills will be like.
I personally read the ones when advanced procedures are crossing with other fields in gastroenterology and motility.

Yes, We know when we look at it when you list it and will search for it to read before you come in for an interview what the research was about if we find it extremely interesting. If not just will read it to gauge how your research skills will be like.
I personally read the ones when advanced procedures are crossing with other fields in gastroenterology and motility.

But should we list these projects as "Posters" or as "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts" on the ERAS form? Also, does anyone know if there a place onERAS to place submitted but not yet accepted projects as well as projects being worked on.

Given that abstracts submitted to ACG are published in their supplemental journal do you log both a publication and a poster presentation into ERAS? Thanks

I was wondering this too. Did you come up with a reasonable answer as to whether you decided to put it as a "Poster" or as a "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts?"

I was wondering this too. Did you come up with a reasonable answer as to whether you decided to put it as a "Poster" or as a "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts?"

My understanding is that while they are published in the supplemental journal, they are not peer reviewed so they would be more appropriately placed in the poster section. With that said, I’m sure hundreds of past applicants have placed them in the peer reviewed journal articles/abstracts section and have matched.

Reactions: 1 user
But should we list these projects as "Posters" or as "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts" on the ERAS form? Also, does anyone know if there a place onERAS to place submitted but not yet accepted projects as well as projects being worked on.
Poster presentation it doesn’t make a difference there isn’t a filter between these two to distinguish and give them a weight for ranking. Is all factors for interview invite. While actual Pubmed Index paper are weighed more.

Still sort of unclear as to whether to list ACG/DDW abstracts as
a)peer reviewed publications
b) posters
c) both (because abstracts get published in AJG)

Please help

@ShiShiMD ?? :)

Any thoughts about how detrimental it would be to submit the application with a missing letter of recommendation (It will be forthcoming shortly but may not be there Aug 12th). Appreciate thoughts

Still sort of unclear as to whether to list ACG/DDW abstracts as
a)peer reviewed publications
b) posters
c) both (because abstracts get published in AJG)

Please help

@ShiShiMD ?? :)

B) POSTERS

Forget everything else

Reactions: 1 users
I have two slightly different personal statements (one for research tracks and another for more clinically focused programs). If I label them as such ("Research" and "Clinical"), will programs be able to see the title? My gut says no, but it could cause problems if I'm wrong so figured I'd see if anyone knows for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have two slightly different personal statements (one for research tracks and another for more clinically focused programs). If I label them as such ("Research" and "Clinical"), will programs be able to see the title? My gut says no, but it could cause problems if I'm wrong so figured I'd see if anyone knows for sure.
No. Call it whatever you want as long you know which is which and send it to the right place.
I recommend "sweet little lies #1" and " sweet little lies #2"

Reactions: 2 users
No. Call it whatever you want as long you know which is which and send it to the right place.
I recommend "sweet little lies #1" and " sweet little lies #2"

Lol

Hi everyone! I just happened to look at the Stanford site and they are requesting a supplemental form to be filled out. Anyone else aware of other programs requesting supplemental forms?

Hi everyone! I just happened to look at the Stanford site and they are requesting a supplemental form to be filled out. Anyone else aware of other programs requesting supplemental forms?
This was the only one when I applied. But I also only applied to about 30 programs. Also note, UCSD required a letter from a gen Med attending... at least when I applied a couple years ago.

Is it ok to wait for a few days to apply (e.g until Aug 15?) if a publication status is 'index pending' on PubMed? Or it is not worth the risk since programs may filter the applicants on the 12th and start looking at them?

when do people think interview offers will start to come in?

Any thoughts about how detrimental it would be to submit the application with a missing letter of recommendation (It will be forthcoming shortly but may not be there Aug 12th). Appreciate thoughts

It won't matter, since nearly all programs only require 3 LORs and most LORs aren't helpful in differentiating candidates anyways since most say nearly the same things.

Is it ok to wait for a few days to apply (e.g until Aug 15?) if a publication status is 'index pending' on PubMed? Or it is not worth the risk since programs may filter the applicants on the 12th and start looking at them?
Programs aren't all going to start rushing to process applications on 8/12, so it'll be fine to wait. Last year there were applicants who submitted their ERAS application in October (and last year applications were made available starting 7/15) and still got multiple interviews.

I had personal statement for most programs I dreamed of joining. Labelled them as Harvard-Research , Harvard-Clinical, Mayo-Roch, Mayo-AZ....

you get the point.

But no program will only see what you upload to them. And if you do make changes to your personal statement let the program coordinator know, via email. Most times they re-print it and people that need to read, will read again.

Remember, when you match to let sat SX program and I have your personal statement, and you somehow came in wanting to be a transplant hepatologist, joining combined next year, now you want General GI and lacking the liver part, I will throw some liver research your way.

All who want an advance, will eventually do advance.
The ones that could lead a lab to complete a research, will do research.

Where should i list my certificates in the application? Should I put it in the "awards and honors"?

Hey everyone
Saw this was mentioned earlier in the thread as well but just wondering if anyone else has a perspective on the number of letters we should send in. I know of a number of the programs that say specifically 3 on their websites and so I am planning to not send in anymore than that. for those programs. Just wondering, for other programs that are kind of vague if doing more letters than they actually want may screen you out. Another issue is that I spoke with an ERAS representative today and they were telling me that there are different ways that programs can download application packets and how they do so or order it determines the order of the LoRs. He was telling me how they are not done chronologically all the time as a result. I'm just worried that if this is true that one of the top 3 letters that I want to be seen (PD IM, Division Head Gi and Research GI) may be missed. My fourth letter is a good letter but I don't think the impact would be as good as the others. Just wondering, if I'll have to go through each program and figure out if they want 3 or 4.

Thanks!

Just wondering, if I'll have to go through each program and figure out if they want 3 or 4.

Thanks!

i personally am just sending 4 to everyone for simplicity

Everyone get their applications in? It's only the first day and I'm already getting nervous about how this season is going to play out .

Everyone get their applications in? It's only the first day and I'm already getting nervous about how this season is going to play out .

Feeling the exact same way! Sending out good vibes to everyone and hoping we can have a successful season together

Reactions: 3 users
There is no way to tell whether programs have downloaded the apps from ERAS for viewing, right? All my docs/app stuff on ERAS says "available" under each program which I am assuming is the only update we get before hopefully interviews or sadly rejections happen

There is no way to tell whether programs have downloaded the apps from ERAS for viewing, right? All my docs/app stuff on ERAS says "available" under each program which I am assuming is the only update we get before hopefully interviews or sadly rejections happen

My PD told me there is no “download” button. The system updates constantly whenever it‘s accessed. If your documents say they’re available then the program has them, it’s just a matter of when they will start reviewing apps which you won’t be notified of until you get your decision.

Hi all,
IMG hospitalist ~ 5 yrs. awaiting gc. graduated from community program, Step scores in 230s, have 2 GI pubs as first author. Have only 1 GI lor and 2 medicine. Tough road ahead.

any hospitalists here?

IMG (green card holder)
Steps 1 & 2 26X
low/mid tier university hospital program
4 LOR (3 GI, 1 PD)
30+ posters
1 oral
2 case reports (first author)
3 manuscripts (first author, 1 in a top tier GI journal)
Half a dozen or so second author case reports and manuscripts

Had very few interviews last year and didn't match; but I needed H1B sponsorship and didn't apply broadly.

To fill the gap year, I'm doing a Hepatology/Motility/Nutrition/IBD year right now at a top tier university program.

I applied to a large amount of programs this year, but heard that due to COVID most programs are doing virtual interviews only and will likely be more heavily relying on resumes as a result.

Thoughts on likelihood of match?

Somehow my personal statement was not assigned to all of the programs and I had to assign it today. Otherwise I had submitted the rest of my application last week. It was brought up to my attention by one of the programs. I have emailed ERAS but have not heard back yet.

Does anyone know how much this will affect my chances for interviews? Submitting a personal statement 1 day later?

IMG (green card holder)
Steps 1 & 2 26X
4 LOR (3 GI, 1 PD)
30+ posters
1 oral

Had very few interviews last year and didn't match; but I needed H1B sponsorship and didn't apply broadly.

To fill the gap year, I'm doing a Hepatology/Motility/Nutrition/IBD year right now at a top tier university program.

I applied to a large amount of programs this year, but heard that due to COVID most programs are doing virtual interviews only and will likely be more heavily relying on resumes as a result.

How many progs did you apply to?

Somehow my personal statement was not assigned to all of the programs and I had to assign it today. Otherwise I had submitted the rest of my application last week. It was brought up to my attention by one of the programs. I have emailed ERAS but have not heard back yet.

Does anyone know how much this will affect my chances for interviews? Submitting a personal statement 1 day later?

Most programs probably haven't even downloaded yet so I doubt this will make a big difference.

I haven't heard anything yet, but I know VCU sent out invites yesterday.

8/13/20 - Virginia Commonwealth University

Congrats on your first IV of the season and good luck!

Oh, the interview invite wasn't for me! It was for another colleague, but I just wanted to start the list of when schools sent out some invites. Sorry for the confusion

Does anyone know the full list of programs requiring supplemental forms?

So far I have- Stanford, Johns Hopkins

Any chance this upcoming week be a solid week for IVs to roll out?

anyone interested in setting up a google doc sheet to track interview? may be a little more anonymous

Reactions: 3 users
anyone interested in setting up a google doc sheet to track interview? may be a little more anonymous

the problem with those is they are extremely vulnerable to trolls. As an example, see the spreadsheets that are now made yearly for residency interviews.

the problem with those is they are extremely vulnerable to trolls. As an example, see the spreadsheets that are now made yearly for residency interviews.
Benefit may outweigh risks though. People may be less likely to post interview acceptances here for anonymity

IMG (green card holder)
Steps 1 & 2 26X
4 LOR (3 GI, 1 PD)
30+ posters
1 oral

How many progs did you apply to?

Last year I applied to ~50 programs, I received ~12 interviews, I ranked 7 programs, and I did not match. This year I applied to over 100 programs.

I also want to report that I have already received 2 invites; however, 1 invite was from my home program and 1 invite was from the GI fellowship program at the top tier university where I'm doing a Hepatology/Motility/Nutrition/IBD year. So both interviews were essentially guaranteed courtesy interviews, especially given my home program did not take me last year and the top tier university where I'm at now almost exclusively takes internal applicants or applicants with first author GI publications in Nature/Cell/NEJM etc.

Last year I applied to ~50 programs, I received ~12 interviews, I ranked 7 programs, and I did not match. This year I applied to over 100 programs.

I also want to report that I have already received 2 invites; however, 1 invite was from my home program and 1 invite was from the GI fellowship program at the top tier university where I'm doing a Hepatology/Motility/Nutrition/IBD year. So both interviews were essentially guaranteed courtesy interviews, especially given my home program did not take me last year and the top tier university where I'm at now almost exclusively takes internal applicants or applicants with first author GI publications in Nature/Cell/NEJM etc.
I am sorry you didn't match last year. You sound like an amazing applicant! Good luck this year; you are doing all the right things.

I am curious about you ranking 7/12 programs last year. Was it for personal reasons or interview date conflicts? Thinking of reasons why people don't rank all their program especially since it's so competitive

I am sorry you didn't match last year. You sound like an amazing applicant! Good luck this year; you are doing all the right things.

I am curious about you ranking 7/12 programs last year. Was it for personal reasons or interview date conflicts? Thinking of reasons why people don't rank all their program especially since it's so competitive

Personal reasons and conflict dates. 2 programs were due to conflicts (1 conflict was because they scheduled me for an interview during ACG) the rest just seemed like terrible community hospitals in fairly horrible places to live, where they use you more as cheap labor than provide a teaching experience, think the programs that "guarantee" that you'll be ERCP/EUS certified after 3 years.