Official 2020 Step 2 CK Experiences With Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets get this started. You know the routine.
Mid Tier MD
Step 1 250-255
mid tier everything.

I need 10 more points compared to my step 1

Not a bad idea to talk about shelves either.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I increased my Step 1 score by 30+ points and got in the 260s on CK and also did dramatically better during M3 year than I did in pre-clinicals. My primary resource for the shelf exams was UWorld which I studied thoroughly and tried to understand everything, augmented by one lower yield q-bank such as Pre-Test, uWISE, or AAFP. I tried to use the pre-made Anki decks but found that they spoiled the UWorld questions and I didn't learn as much, so I stopped using them and made my own Anki decks. And I obviously did every available NBME practice shelf. This was good for mostly honors during third year (~top 20% of the cohort). Of course, the shelf is only a part of it and the rest is your actual performance on the wards, which is a separate thing entirely but which I could still probably give some advice if anyone is interested.

For CK, I took a long dedicated and committed myself to doing as many practice questions as possible. By the time my dedicated started, UWorld had added a couple hundred more questions from the clerkships that I had completed, so I did those. Then I reset and did the whole thing again, reviewing each question in detail. Everyday I would also take one of the practice shelf exams and "re-do" it (eg, I would just look at the question and try to come up with the answer without looking at the multiple choice answers) which I thought was very helpful because it gives you 1000+ additional questions written by the NBME themselves. I originally planned to mature my homemade Anki decks again, but it turned out to be a time suck that took away from questions, so I only made Anki cards for things that I kept getting wrong over and over (eg, pure memorization questions like pre-natal diagnosis of diseases based on MSAFP and estradiol), or tidbits I could use to distinguish two different diseases (eg, serotonin syndrome vs. NMS vs. malignant hyperthermia, etc.) I only used a few hundred Anki cards for this test based on this strategy and thought it was very helpful. And of course, I took every available practice test. My wallet did not appreciate this, but it was the right move in the end.

For both the shelf exams and Step 2, how you feel coming out has 0 correlation with how you actually did. There have been shelves that I legitimately thought I may have failed that I ended up getting in the 90+ percentile in. And CK was one of the most mentally exhausting experiences of my life but I still came out fine. Definitely trust your practice exams and the work you put in. Good luck!

These homemade anki cards you made, were they just based off of UWorld and the other q-banks you were doing?

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. I bought them before the shelves and did them then. During dedicated, I still had access to all of them and had forgotten pretty much all of the questions since I had taken many of them over a year ago at this point. So I would change the window of each question so that all I could see is the question stem and see if I could answer it. Now that the NBME highlights the answer you can know for sure if you got it right or not.
Gotcha that makes sense, thanks! Congrats on killing it

Members don't see this ad :)
These homemade anki cards you made, were they just based off of UWorld and the other q-banks you were doing?
Both. I probably made an Anki card for everything in UWorld, and then for the other q-banks if there was something extra that hadn't been covered in UWorld I would add that. Some of the blocks ended up being almost entirely UWorld, but for other rotations where the other q-bank added a lot of value (eg, the uWISE questions or the AAFP questions) they ended up being a lot of my deck.

Way to kill it @bananafish94 what was your secret during rotations that lead to better performance?
First of all, in terms of evaluations, you have to accept the fact that most of it is independent of your performance and is decided by the particular grading style of the evaluator. A friend of mine likened grading to tipping at a restaurant. Some people are just super generous and always tip 25%, and some people are tools and tip <10%. Most people are somewhere in the middle. If you get really extraordinary service, you might bump it up a little, and if you get horrific, shockingly bad service you might give less. At the end of the day, someone who is known to give straight 2/4 will not give you straight 4/4 no matter how good you are. That's not the goal. Your goal should be for them to maybe bump you up to 3/4 for a couple of items and hope that in the long run you come out ahead with the grading even if you lose a couple battles in the short term.

In terms of doing well on the wards, I think the overwhelming majority of it comes down to common sense. In no particular order,
-Be professional always. I don't think I was ever once late to anything and I wore a freshly ironed shirt and tie everyday.
-Be a normal, pleasant person to everyone you interact with, with no exceptions. Know how to read the room. I probably err on the more conservative side of this than most people (eg, some of my classmates are comfortable swearing and making more casual jokes in front of residents which can work depending on your personality, but risky).
-To that end, don't try to be someone that you're not. Insincerity is obvious very off-putting. Pretty much everybody can be a pleasant, professional person within the confines of their actual personality.

In terms of actual clinical performance:
-I've found that it's less about knowing things and more about how much you contribute to the team. You will be asked questions that you don't know the answer to. That's fine. Always try and study a little bit each night but don't beat yourself up if you get "pimp" questions wrong.
-That said, recognize that there are some things that you must know. If you are in a surgery, you must know the patient's history, what the surgery is, and what the indication is. If you don't, that's a bad error. If you're following a patient as an inpatient, you should know basic updates on their hospital course and should be able to give a brief one-liner about what's happening and why they're in the hospital. Things like this.
-Be proactive. Is there anything that you can help with that would make life easier for the residents? Do these things. For surgery rotations, basic stuff like coming in to make the list, dressing changes, etc. For psych, you can spend time talking to family and outside doctors and get collateral. For pretty much everything, you can get medical records, call certain consults, talk to nursing about updates, etc. When we run the list, I make checkboxes for each patient's to-do list and if it's something that I am able to do I tell the residents that I will do it.
-Ask for feedback on a semi-regular basis. Doesn't need to be fancy, just something like, "Hey, I've really been enjoying the rotation, please let me know if there's anything I can improve on."
-Hone your presentations. Presentations are one of the only things that people will remember. Be confident and tell it like an interesting story. Try to do much of it from memory to avoid reading off the paper. When I was first starting out, sometimes I would go find some empty corner before rounds and do the whole presentation just to practice it and work through any kinks. It felt a little ridiculous and probably was, but I've consistently been told that presentations are one of my strong suits.
-Control things that are modifiable. For example, if you are asked to give a five-minute talk on something, this is one of the very few opportunities you will have on the rotation where all eyes are on you and you get to shine. Don't just give some tired recitation of UpToDate guidelines, try to organize a well thought out presentation, memorize it if possible, and relate it to the patient in question. I don't say this to brag, but just to offer an example. On my surgery rotation each student was asked to give a formal powerpoint presentation on an assigned topic at a weekly conference with the attendings. I poured my heart and soul into this presentation, had the librarian pull actual books, etc. and practiced it beforehand. Afterwards, one of the attendings asked me if I could send it to her so she could use it in the future, and literally every person that evaluated me on that rotation mentioned the presentation - just goes to show that a little work can carry you very far in these types of situations!

-Finally, don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever be a weird gunner or try to screw with fellow students. Don't do odd things like bring in papers unprompted or pimp other students or anything like that. I've learned that if people like working with you, it's obvious to everyone and makes everyone look better. And if people don't like working with you, it's even more obvious. My motto is that everyone should be trying to make everyone else look good at all times.

Hope that helps a little bit. Third year can be a wild ride but I had a lot of good times. If you have any specific questions about anything in particular I'd be happy to answer.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
First of all, in terms of evaluations, you have to accept the fact that most of it is independent of your performance and is decided by the particular grading style of the evaluator. A friend of mine likened grading to tipping at a restaurant. Some people are just super generous and always tip 25%, and some people are tools and tip <10%. Most people are somewhere in the middle. If you get really extraordinary service, you might bump it up a little, and if you get horrific, shockingly bad service you might give less. At the end of the day, someone who is known to give straight 2/4 will not give you straight 4/4 no matter how good you are. That's not the goal. Your goal should be for them to maybe bump you up to 3/4 for a couple of items and hope that in the long run you come out ahead with the grading even if you lose a couple battles in the short term.

In terms of doing well on the wards, I think the overwhelming majority of it comes down to common sense. In no particular order,
-Be professional always. I don't think I was ever once late to anything and I wore a freshly ironed shirt and tie everyday.
-Be a normal, pleasant person to everyone you interact with, with no exceptions. Know how to read the room. I probably err on the more conservative side of this than most people (eg, some of my classmates are comfortable swearing and making more casual jokes in front of residents which can work depending on your personality, but risky).
-To that end, don't try to be someone that you're not. Insincerity is obvious very off-putting. Pretty much everybody can be a pleasant, professional person within the confines of their actual personality.

In terms of actual clinical performance:
-I've found that it's less about knowing things and more about how much you contribute to the team. You will be asked questions that you don't know the answer to. That's fine. Always try and study a little bit each night but don't beat yourself up if you get "pimp" questions wrong.
-That said, recognize that there are some things that you must know. If you are in a surgery, you must know the patient's history, what the surgery is, and what the indication is. If you don't, that's a bad error. If you're following a patient as an inpatient, you should know basic updates on their hospital course and should be able to give a brief one-liner about what's happening and why they're in the hospital. Things like this.
-Be proactive. Is there anything that you can help with that would make life easier for the residents? Do these things. For surgery rotations, basic stuff like coming in to make the list, dressing changes, etc. For psych, you can spend time talking to family and outside doctors and get collateral. For pretty much everything, you can get medical records, call certain consults, talk to nursing about updates, etc. When we run the list, I make checkboxes for each patient's to-do list and if it's something that I am able to do I tell the residents that I will do it.
-Ask for feedback on a semi-regular basis. Doesn't need to be fancy, just something like, "Hey, I've really been enjoying the rotation, please let me know if there's anything I can improve on."
-Hone your presentations. Presentations are one of the only things that people will remember. Be confident and tell it like an interesting story. Try to do much of it from memory to avoid reading off the paper. When I was first starting out, sometimes I would go find some empty corner before rounds and do the whole presentation just to practice it and work through any kinks. It felt a little ridiculous and probably was, but I've consistently been told that presentations are one of my strong suits.
-Control things that are modifiable. For example, if you are asked to give a five-minute talk on something, this is one of the very few opportunities you will have on the rotation where all eyes are on you and you get to shine. Don't just give some tired recitation of UpToDate guidelines, try to organize a well thought out presentation, memorize it if possible, and relate it to the patient in question. I don't say this to brag, but just to offer an example. On my surgery rotation each student was asked to give a formal powerpoint presentation on an assigned topic at a weekly conference with the attendings. I poured my heart and soul into this presentation, had the librarian pull actual books, etc. and practiced it beforehand. Afterwards, one of the attendings asked me if I could send it to her so she could use it in the future, and literally every person that evaluated me on that rotation mentioned the presentation - just goes to show that a little work can carry you very far in these types of situations!

-Finally, don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever be a weird gunner or try to screw with fellow students. Don't do odd things like bring in papers unprompted or pimp other students or anything like that. I've learned that if people like working with you, it's obvious to everyone and makes everyone look better. And if people don't like working with you, it's even more obvious. My motto is that everyone should be trying to make everyone else look good at all times.

Hope that helps a little bit. Third year can be a wild ride but I had a lot of good times. If you have any specific questions about anything in particular I'd be happy to answer.
Ugh I am so frustrated with the grading this year. It gives me a lot of anxiety since I want to apply in surgery but only 2 people per rotation get an A (LIKE WTF). I had all As my first 2 years in medical school. buuuut at my school we have evals which are worth most of the grade - i.e. I scored 1 standard deviation above the class on the final (my school does self made exams based on LECTURES yes LECTURES we have during clinical) but got a P because of my evaluation. My evaluator gave me a P grade but wrote that I did an AMAZING JOB AND WAS THE BEST STUDENT HE HAD??? like wtf lol and wrote NOTHING TO IMPROVE perfect hx and note writing is above the level of an intern
:)

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Ugh I am so frustrated with the grading this year. It gives me a lot of anxiety since I want to apply in surgery but only 2 people per rotation get an A (LIKE WTF). I had all As my first 2 years in medical school. buuuut at my school we have evals which are worth most of the grade - i.e. I scored 1 standard deviation above the class on the final (my school does self made exams based on LECTURES yes LECTURES we have during clinical) but got a P because of my evaluation. My evaluator gave me a P grade but wrote that I did an AMAZING JOB AND WAS THE BEST STUDENT HE HAD??? like wtf lol and wrote NOTHING TO IMPROVE perfect hx and note writing is above the level of an intern
Yeah, that’s just an unfortunate reality of third year. We’ve all been there. If the comments and the grade are really that disparate, you might consider bringing it up with the clerkship director and just saying, “I want to go into this, I feel like the grade was not an accurate reflection of the comments my preceptor wrote, is there any way we could discuss my grade?” The chances of anything actually happening are definitely small, but possible. That said, I think people understand that clerkship grades can be wonky and nobody will hold isolated P’s against you. It’s more about the overall trend.

You don't take shelf exams?

my school doesn't give many people HPs and Hs, firstly. they are super stingy with it. I already mentioned this to the clerkship director for surgery and they yelled at me. just how it's turned out for me, which is unfortunate because I have all As during preclinical. Unfortunately I may end up having several Ps just because of how my school is set up and it's stressing me tf out lol

You're definitely not alone, my school is the same way and it's irritating AF.

Ya bud, your note isn’t even close to an interns

I increased my Step 1 score by 30+ points and got in the 260s on CK and also did dramatically better during M3 year than I did in pre-clinicals. My primary resource for the shelf exams was UWorld which I studied thoroughly and tried to understand everything, augmented by one lower yield q-bank such as Pre-Test, uWISE, or AAFP. I tried to use the pre-made Anki decks but found that they spoiled the UWorld questions and I didn't learn as much, so I stopped using them and made my own Anki decks. And I obviously did every available NBME practice shelf. This was good for mostly honors during third year (~top 20% of the cohort). Of course, the shelf is only a part of it and the rest is your actual performance on the wards, which is a separate thing entirely but which I could still probably give some advice if anyone is interested.

For CK, I took a long dedicated and committed myself to doing as many practice questions as possible. By the time my dedicated started, UWorld had added a couple hundred more questions from the clerkships that I had completed, so I did those. Then I reset and did the whole thing again, reviewing each question in detail. Everyday I would also take one of the practice shelf exams and "re-do" it (eg, I would just look at the question and try to come up with the answer without looking at the multiple choice answers) which I thought was very helpful because it gives you 1000+ additional questions written by the NBME themselves. I originally planned to mature my homemade Anki decks again, but it turned out to be a time suck that took away from questions, so I only made Anki cards for things that I kept getting wrong over and over (eg, pure memorization questions like pre-natal diagnosis of diseases based on MSAFP and estradiol), or tidbits I could use to distinguish two different diseases (eg, serotonin syndrome vs. NMS vs. malignant hyperthermia, etc.) I only used a few hundred Anki cards for this test based on this strategy and thought it was very helpful. And of course, I took every available practice test. My wallet did not appreciate this, but it was the right move in the end.

For both the shelf exams and Step 2, how you feel coming out has 0 correlation with how you actually did. There have been shelves that I legitimately thought I may have failed that I ended up getting in the 90+ percentile in. And CK was one of the most mentally exhausting experiences of my life but I still came out fine. Definitely trust your practice exams and the work you put in. Good luck!

You're a legend. I remember way back when in the pre-MD forum your journey getting into medical school. And here you are almost done. Congrats to you fella

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the general consensus for DO students scheduling Step 2 and Level 2? Is it typically like Step 1 where you schedule Step 1 first and within 3-7 days take level 1? The upper classmen at my school are kind of out of it and the few that have taken step 2 tell everyone to take it after level 2.

Looking back on this past Spring with the Step 1/level 1 thing.. I really think taking Step 1 first and 7 days later taking Level 1 worked well for me (although I might try and schedule Level 2 maybe 4-5 days later instead of 7) but I'm curious if this is still the general rule of thumb? Study UW and Anki for Step 2, crush it, then cram OMM.

Also on a similar, but side note. Is the OMM on level 2 basically the same OMM material for level 1? Mind you, I haven't done a single OMM question since our OPP comat during orientation and haven't done any OMM qbanks since that either.

Has anyone tried and successfully balanced research and step studying while on rotations? Any insight/advice.
Might wanna try the 2019 thread-- we're just starting our prep and on our first-second rotations.

I'm trying to juggle it all right now but unsure how it will turn out

Random question but does anyone know if spelling counts on the IM shelf for the fill in the blanks? I’m pretty sure I spelled something wrong haha

So far 4/7 shelves done this week. Haven’t lost my mind yet but pretty close. 10/10 would not recommend ever going to a school that does all 7 in one week. This might be worse than step.

• Wow
So far 4/7 shelves done this week. Haven’t lost my mind yet but pretty close. 10/10 would not recommend ever going to a school that does all 7 in one week. This might be worse than step.

Holy crap dude that sounds absolutely miserable...

It’s been rough haha. The only upside is we can retake them at the end of the year. But I’d much rather just focus on one at a time.
Damn. I think the worst part of that is that literally no one would consider something like that when selecting their school. I’d actually pay to go to a more expensive school than deal with that if given the option. Feel for ya.

Update time.
Murdered Surgery shelf 90+. Amboss, dorian, uworld

Side note something insane , but i have completed close to 2k questions for the obgyn shelf. Considering uworld had a total of 2200~ for step one that is absolute insane pace.

Reactions: 6 users
Update time.

Side note something insane , but i have completed close to 2k questions for the obgyn shelf. Considering uworld had a total of 2200~ for step one that is absolute insane pace.

Yeah the pace is pretty crazy. I was thinking about it the other day and we have all likely completed 5k Step 2 questions at least by this point.

Yeah the pace is pretty crazy. I was thinking about it the other day and we have all likely completed 5k Step 2 questions at least by this point.
Pfft! I’ve barely broke 1000. But that’s what happens with 2 months of FM and 2 months of IM. Mostly just doing anki.

Reactions: 2 users
Adding to updates. Honored third shelf now after IM, peds and FM. Haven't absolutely crushed any shelves, but casually cruising through. Feeling like step 1 prep was more important than any work I'm doing now. Haven't finished any qbank sections or dorian decks. Maybe just need to add in more flashcards/questions to see those higher numbers.

Honestly feel like the conversations I've had with residents and reading up on patients has been very useful and directly shown up on my shelf exams. Maybe this is lucky, but I feel like the work we do now is much more relevant to testing and our testing is more aligned with clinical practice than the comparison between preclinical lectures and NBMEs/step 1.

Also makes me feel like step 1 really was important for foundational clinic knowledge, and wish our school would appreciate that and adapt the curriculum in that direction.

Reactions: 7 users
Adding to updates. Honored third shelf now after IM, peds and FM. Haven't absolutely crushed any shelves, but casually cruising through. Feeling like step 1 prep was more important than any work I'm doing now. Haven't finished any qbank sections or dorian decks. Maybe just need to add in more flashcards/questions to see those higher numbers.

Honestly feel like the conversations I've had with residents and reading up on patients has been very useful and directly shown up on my shelf exams. Maybe this is lucky, but I feel like the work we do now is much more relevant to testing and our testing is more aligned with clinical practice than the comparison between preclinical lectures and NBMEs/step 1.

Also makes me feel like step 1 really was important for foundational clinic knowledge, and wish our school would appreciate that and adapt the curriculum in that direction.
Agreed on all accounts. Step 1 knowledge has carried me greatly so far and finally achieving some alignment between the workday and shelves has been a breathe of fresh air.

Update time.

did you have IM before surgery?

IMG here, just got my score report of 255 in Step 2 CK yesterday.

Did UW twice & OME once.

I put all of my material was on Anki (Including ECGs, Heart sounds, Images, ... literally everything) which was my main learning tool. Only book i was using was Secrets, because i didn't want to waste too much time on books. Most of the learning material was already covered in step 1, and i added information on my decks using UWorld and OME and sometimes Secrets.

UW First pass 65% (I Used it as a learning tool for 1st pass from my step 1 knowledge)
Second pass 89%
I had no time for UWSA and NBMEs in my dedicated period, so i didn't do any.

To be honest, going out from the test, i didn't think i was going to score above the 240s.
I scored 237 in step 1 and it was in the range of score that i was expecting.
So for me, Step 2 was a big surprise!

Goodluck for all.

I'll update while we're at it. So far I've honored 2/3 COMAT's, IM and Surgery. Pretty much all I've been doing is Combank and Comquest + the Dorian OME cards. I front loaded my rotation schedule and have a lighter spring so will be starting UWorld on Jan. 6th and then mixing in the Dorian UWorld cards. I feel like my grasp on how to approach the questions is improving a lot and I'm now able to get questions right by skimming the answers and then the stem like I used to for Step 1. I agree having a really strong Step 1 foundation is very HY for this stuff, and I still can't believe people argue that it isn't relevant to the clinical side of medicine.

Planning on taking my test at the end of May with COMLEX a few days after.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 users
Just throwing in my update

Honored 2/3 COMATS - FM and IM. Just missed it on OBGYN.

I've been doing Tzanki and COMQUEST for the rotation that I'm on as much UWorld as I can. I used Dorian's FM deck on FM instead of Tzanki. I am not reviewing cumulatively.

Overall I've done over 1k COMQUEST questions, over 800 UWorld questions, and over 60% of Tzanki's deck.

I have a lighter spring semester as well and only have 1 shelf at the end of my last 4 rotations. That's when I'll be focusing on finishing UWorld and reviewing old Tzanki cards.

Update:
Peds shelf 78
OB/gyn shelf 88 (92nd percentile)
IM shelf 81 (73rd percentile)

Doing pretty decent, basically only using Dorian and Uworld as resources. I have surgery next. Anyone have any advice on how to do well on surgery shelf other than what I’ve been doing??

Planning on taking step 2CK at the end of July. Finish with psych as my last core rotation and a two week anesthesia rotation which should allow a lot of time to start studying. Goal 250+

Update since we all hitting this thread back up for the holiday season

honors for 3/3 possible so far

87 on psych shelf
125/130 on peds comat
129/130 on surg comat
102/130 on OMM comat (not honorable so i took this first and coasted)

Ive been chilling wayyyyy too hard but i can definitely agree step 1 knowledge is carrying me. Hit UW for psych, combank/comquest for all comats, and finishing anki decks for select rotations but not keeping up with reviews. TBH im actually kind of a fan of step 2 FA. Been listening to OME on commutes, and listened to pestanas x2 for my surgery commute. FA for psych shelf book was HY AF for psych.

i miss UW....combank is so annoying with their questions sometimes, id get like 10qs in a row with 10% of people getting them right...buncha stuff not found in any board prep resource ive looked at. Will probably go 50/50 UW/Combank for my next couple comats, start with UW then 1 week before exam shift gears to combank/comquest.

PS: i legit feel like i failed some of my comats when i come out...wtf is this curve like?!

Update:
Peds shelf 78
OB/gyn shelf 88 (92nd percentile)
IM shelf 81 (73rd percentile)

Doing pretty decent, basically only using Dorian and Uworld as resources. I have surgery next. Anyone have any advice on how to do well on surgery shelf other than what I’ve been doing??

Planning on taking step 2CK at the end of July. Finish with psych as my last core rotation and a two week anesthesia rotation which should allow a lot of time to start studying. Goal 250+
De Virgilio is the surgery go to text. Best to peruse before your rotation if you have time, or use it for case-dependent study for during the rotation on top of what you're already doing.

has anyone here done well having surg before IM? lol i know it's not the ideal situation but i was somehow last on the lottery for my school lol

De Virgilio is the surgery go to text. Best to peruse before your rotation if you have time, or use it for case-dependent study for during the rotation on top of what you're already doing.
Do you recommend reading the whole thing? I bought it but really can’t bring myself to look at it when it’s like 1000 pages and so far anki and uworld have been getting the job done

Do you recommend reading the whole thing? I bought it but really can’t bring myself to look at it when it’s like 1000 pages and so far anki and uworld have been getting the job done
There are different schools of thought, again, all dependent on your study style, goals, and time you have before the clerkship. Some people read the entire thing. IMO I think that's overkill. I recommend reading on case by case basis depending on weak points (e.g. always forget hernia management vs. diastasis?) throughout the clerkship. Def possible to H the rotation with just UW and Pestana's, but I personally found Pestana's to be too disparate and rapid fire (especially the audio), but if you want a comprehensive, easy to read resource, De Virgilio is it. (Is it necessary to buy it? I'll answer that by quoting the Bible "ye shall seek and find me"). Btw, it's actually quite reader-friendly and doesn't feel like a "textbook"

If you're gun-ho about surgery and want to read the entire thing because you're truly interested, or if you're really anal and want to devour the whole thing, that's all up to you!

There are different schools of thought, again, all dependent on your study style, goals, and time you have before the clerkship. Some people read the entire thing. IMO I think that's overkill. I recommend reading on case by case basis depending on weak points (e.g. always forget hernia management vs. diastasis?) throughout the clerkship. Def possible to H the rotation with just UW and Pestana's, but I personally found Pestana's to be too disparate and rapid fire (especially the audio), but if you want a comprehensive, easy to read resource, De Virgilio is it. (Is it necessary to buy it? I'll answer that by quoting the Bible "ye shall seek and find me"). Btw, it's actually quite reader-friendly and doesn't feel like a "textbook"

If you're gun-ho about surgery and want to read the entire thing because you're truly interested, or if you're really anal and want to devour the whole thing, that's all up to you!

Would you suggest that someone read this before doing surgery sub-I’s/auditions?

Would you suggest that someone read this before doing surgery sub-I’s/auditions?
I'm not going into surgery, but many people close to me have recently--so take this with a grain of salt. In either case, you want to perform *exceptionally* well on the actual Sub-I or aways and reading De Virgilio may not be the best way to do that (although it might behoove you to revisit/remaster certain basic management protocols). It goes without saying regardless of specialty you want to perform at intern+ level during your sub-I and aways, and the best way to do that seems to be to know your patients literally inside and out, and doing lots of reading.

That being said, doing the following (most-likely out of genuine interest and self-improvement) has been common in people that have slayed Sub-Is and aways:
-incessantly practicing suturing during free time to the point where you are extremely proficient
-reading on specific procedures that are happening to your patients (there are surgical texts likely available through your institution's online-library) so that you know exactly every step of the surgery
-again, knowing your patients inside and out (pun intended)

It really helps that there is no shelf hanging over your head in Sub-Is and aways. So, you can perform your best because you honestly want to by putting in orders, helping your team, and actually affecting patient care--and not waste time with practice exams and flashcards for a ridiculous shelf at the end. I.e. when you get home, you can focus on learning about your patients and hone your knowledge and skill set instead of having your time eaten away by ridiculous rotation assignments and arbitrary studying.

Last edited:
has anyone here done well having surg before IM? lol i know it's not the ideal situation but i was somehow last on the lottery for my school lol

Got a 92 (>99th percentile) on the surgery shelf with only OB and peds before it. Resources used were UWorld surgery, UWorld medicine cardio + GI, De Vergilio (read about 1/3, did all questions) and all practice NBMEs.

Guess I'll give some updates too. Below Average (~220) on Step 1. Plan on taking Step 2/Level 2 in June so need to improve.

So far i've completed everything but OB, Surgery, Psych.

Completed COMQUEST & COMBANK during every rotation. Slowly working through dorians deck. Matured everything but the Uworld, NBME portion of these sections.

School utilizes COMATs for shelf exams. COMQUEST is essential for doing well on COMATs.
IM: Pass (~100), Peds: Pass (~100), FM: Honor (~110), OMM: Honor (~115).

Starting UW for medicine, peds @ a pace of 1 block per day. Plan on completing UW 1st pass by ~March. Plan on utilizing a word doc for incorrects and incorporating cards. One big error I made for step 1 was resource overload and not spending time focus on my errors (making an incorrect word doc and actually reviewing it).

Hoped to complete a first pass of SU2M over winter break but couldn't find the time.

Sup fam. It's been a while. Hope everyone had a good run of the holidays. Glad to see everyone working hard and crushing clinicals.

Mid/Low Tier MD
Step 1 High 250s

Just trying to match my step 1 at minimum. Been pretty lazy with the cards and stuff this year. Clinicals take a lot of time, and Uworld along with the Dorian deck has proved to be sufficient for me to honor my shelves and rotations. So I haven't branched out much. Haven't been doing much if any research either. I have no more love to give lol.

Done with psych/OB/IM. IM was first for me and I was so ****ing burnt. Also turns out I really don't like IM haha. I was miserable- during IM was the only time I questioned my decision to do medicine. The hours were fine but I loathed the practice. Scraped honors by the skin of my teeth (something like 0.3 points over the cutoff). Did much better on OB and psych once I got into the swing of things. Surgery up next! Pretty pumped/nervous since I'm aiming for a surgical subspecialty. We will see how it goes.

Anyone in this thread have any advice on schedule step 2 cs around away rotations? Is there any consensus on what makes the most sense? Looking to get that in the books soon as the city closest to me tends to fill up fast.

Reactions: 4 users