Official 2020 Step 2 CK Experiences With Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets get this started. You know the routine.
Mid Tier MD
Step 1 250-255
mid tier everything.

I need 10 more points compared to my step 1

Not a bad idea to talk about shelves either.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Can somebody just give me a rundown of the resources needed for second year? I’m absolutely clueless. Could use a 10+ point jump after an average S1. My brain doesn’t work on anki so that’s where I’m running into problems finding other resources

Original DO school right at the middle of the class if that matters. I’m cool with being average but just don’t wanna be an idiot. Start OB in a couple weeks as my first rotation

UW bro! UW + case files +/- OME videos for passive studying at the end of an evening. Anki if you want to give it a shot, it's incredible for step 2 thus far. I have my first COMAT on friday so we'll see... but it's been helping

Reactions: 1 users
My third year rotations finally start next week. I’ve had a glorious month off between boards and school and it’s now coming to an end...
A1E86C44-60CB-483E-9E8C-F36C70E0D5AD.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users
anybody on neurology and concerned that uworld isn’t really comprehensive compared to the content outline for the clinical neurology shelf?

I guess I can do try to do some amboss/pretest and the 4 nbmes during this last week but probably can’t finish everything :(
dumb question, but is there a link for content outline for each shelf?

Members don't see this ad :)
dumb question, but is there a link for content outline for each shelf?
Yeah they are on the Nbme website if you just google “xxx Nbme shelf content outline”

Just took my first shelf today and thought it was legit harder than step 1 questions Lol at least if the percent to percentile conversions are to be trusted from last year

Yeah they are on the Nbme website if you just google “xxx Nbme shelf content outline”

Just took my first shelf today and thought it was legit harder than step 1 questions Lol at least if the percent to percentile conversions are to be trusted from last year
nice! hope it went well! what shelf was it? family medicine is apparently the closest to step 1

Bruhhhh i cant do this again, not this soon

Step 1: 260+
Step 2: hoping not to drop too many points

Im on my first week of inpatient IM, is it normal to feel like you have no idea what youre doing? Why do patients not present to me as multiple choice questions? Why does everyone talk about drugs using brand names after only being taught generics? How long till i accidentally follow my resident into the bathroom?

Downloaded dorian last night havent started yet, might switch to tzanki for less cards tho. Started OME audio files for my long commutes. My residents are cool with me studying on my phone but i have a feeling if an attending sees me with it out while im
chilling it might not go well, so currently stuck between risking it or looking up everything in my pts charts 100 times. I dont have my IM comat till my mandatory sub-I IM rotation, so i signed up for OMM comat this month. Idk what to do for OMM as always, got combank OMM comat qbank and will probs use OME/green book the week before?¿?¿

In patient IM - psych - neuro - peds - surg - FM - EM - obgyn - fm sub i - out pt IM - IM sub i - rads/gas

Reactions: 2 users

Im on my first week of inpatient IM, is it normal to feel like you have no idea what youre doing? Why do patients not present to me as multiple choice questions? Why does everyone talk about drugs using brand names after only being taught generics? How long till i accidentally follow my resident into the bathroom?

Downloaded dorian last night havent started yet, might switch to tzanki for less cards tho. Started OME audio files for my long commutes. My residents are cool with me studying on my phone but i have a feeling if an attending sees me with it out while im
chilling it might not go well, so currently stuck between risking it or looking up everything in my pts charts 100 times. I dont have my IM comat till my mandatory sub-I IM rotation, so i signed up for OMM comat this month. Idk what to do for OMM as always, got combank OMM comat qbank and will probs use OME/green book the week before?¿?¿

In patient IM - psych - neuro - peds - surg - FM - EM - obgyn - fm sub i - out pt IM - IM sub i - rads/gas
Plenty of OMM Anki decks on Reddit. Turn up deck is made for comat

Reactions: 1 user
Plenty of OMM Anki decks on Reddit. Turn up deck is made for comat
I hadnt even considered the same OMM decks used for comlex could be used for comat lol, thanks man ill check that out!

Edit: also didnt even know turn up was actually made for comat lol

Also on IM and feel totally lost. I thought our pre-clinical years were misguided / not guided. Wow. I don't even know how I'm being graded or what work I'm supposed to be doing. Also not sure how to use the EMR or how to write a note. This is gonna be a rough time

Also on IM and feel totally lost. I thought our pre-clinical years were misguided / not guided. Wow. I don't even know how I'm being graded or what work I'm supposed to be doing. Also not sure how to use the EMR or how to write a note. This is gonna be a rough time
Insert pikachu.jpg when i found out you dont do a full in depth 30min H&P for every time you walk into a patients room. OSCEs were so misleading

i find myself falling out of love with dorian decks. The thing I loved about zanki was there was an unambiguous answer, on dorians deck i sometimes get frustrated with open ended questions he has in there. Should I jump ship to tzanki. I have already tried dope.

Insert pikachu.jpg when i found out you dont do a full in depth 30min H&P for every time you walk into a patients room. OSCEs were so misleading
What is interesting is how much of the exam is just eyeballed. The dude was moving all four limbs must have 5/5 strength. Its wild.

I have learned to quickly do mini exams in every major system and a more focused one for the chief complaint and it has been working as I have gotten great feedback from my attendings and residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
i find myself falling out of love with dorian decks. The thing I loved about zanki was there was an unambiguous answer, on dorians deck i sometimes get frustrated with open ended questions he has in there. Should I jump ship to tzanki. I have already tried dope.

I've had a similar problem with all the premade decks. I'm thinking of switching out of using them entirely, especially because they aren't in good order to actually go through and learn from them. And this is coming from the high priest of Zanki for step 1.

For next unit, I'm going to try watching all online med ed videos for the topic, making anki cards from those videos, and then doing UWorld questions and carding generously from anything I learn there as well. I'll let ya know how it goes.

What is interesting is how much of the exam is just eyeballed. The dude was moving all four limbs must have 5/5 strength. Its wild.

I have learned to quickly do mini exams in every major system and a more focused one for the chief complaint and it has been working as I have gotten great feedback from my attendings and residents.
I think thats what i need to work on is the quick eye balled exam for non major systems, l just feel disingenuous if i say something is clear/good to go if i didnt do a full system exam. But it seems to be the name of the game, just gotta pick up on those quick look over/perceptive skills

I've had a similar problem with all the premade decks. I'm thinking of switching out of using them entirely, especially because they aren't in good order to actually go through and learn from them. And this is coming from the high priest of Zanki for step 1.

For next unit, I'm going to try watching all online med ed videos for the topic, making anki cards from those videos, and then doing UWorld questions and carding generously from anything I learn there as well. I'll let ya know how it goes.
This seems like an amazing plan. I already shat the bed on one shelf so im trying to do what i can.

I think thats what i need to work on is the quick eye balled exam for non major systems, l just feel disingenuous if i say something is clear/good to go if i didnt do a full system exam. But it seems to be the name of the game, just gotta pick up on those quick look over/perceptive skills
I usually dont even present findings if I dont do the exam itself, I usually think ahead to what the differential is, and then i do my exam based on that diffrential for pertinent positives or negatives, it takes some time figuring it out, but once you do you are gucci.

This and clerical questions about documentation are what is currently bothering me. I feel the expectation is to do your documentation, **** up something, and then get scolded about not filling out paperwork correctly. Seems smart... A lot of it frankly feels like lying but everyone in the system is in on it because the bureaucracy is so great and it's the only way to get paid.

The first two years of school are so important from a knowledge standpoint but all clinical information is just a straight up lie told to you in order to help you not fail CS/PE, which shows how ****ing stupid that exam is.

This and clerical questions about documentation are what is currently bothering me. I feel the expectation is to do your documentation, **** up something, and then get scolded about not filling out paperwork correctly. Seems smart... A lot of it frankly feels like lying but everyone in the system is in on it because the bureaucracy is so great and it's the only way to get paid.

The first two years of school are so important from a knowledge standpoint but all clinical information is just a straight up lie told to you in order to help you not fail CS/PE, which shows how ****ing stupid that exam is.
Only document what you did. Dont document exam findings that you never did, dont copy over exam findings etc. It is a way to get expelled for professionalism. DO NOT EVER Lie. And never do this in real life too because if you get caught you are going to get fraud charges and possible jail time.

We are students, our note wont be perfect, but they will be close enough.

Hey friends, thought I'd pop in and give some CK advice to my 2021ers starting up rotations. It's easy when 3rd year starts to have grand plans about your study habits (I was the same), because you're just coming off Step 1 and accustomed to conquering huge volumes of work every day. You'll quickly find this is unrealistic, but I'm happy to report that I accomplished only a very small fraction of my original plan and still managed to score a 273. Here's some of the things I wish people told me when I started 3rd year:

1. Anki - An amazingly powerful tool that should be utilized for Step 2 (and beyond), but those that used it for Step 1 likely matured 15k+ cards and assume they'll do the same for Step 2. This is a mistake in many ways. Step 2 doesn't test information like Step 1 does, period. I think the ideal number of cards for Step 2 is somewhere around 5-6k. Personally I ended up maturing Zanki but was pretty liberal about suspending/combining poor cards or repeat concepts. I also made 1000 of my own cards throughout the year based on missed Qbank questions and random clinical pearls -- these 1000 cards got me easily twice as many questions correct on Step 2 than Zanki did. I initially intended to do over 12k cards based on various decks I found and I am so grateful that I didn't as I strongly believe I would have scored much lower. Be efficient and realistic about your Anki goals.

2. When to study - There's usually plenty of downtime in 3rd year, it's just typically scattered throughout the day. This is where Anki shines. Don't feel bad about taking your phone/tablet out and knocking out cards when there's downtime. Don't worry about offending your preceptors or looking unprofessional. At worst you'll have a particularly anal retentive attending that frowns on this and drops your evaluation without ever saying anything (this never happened to me). What do you think matters more on your residency application though, getting a HP over an H in a specialty you're not going into, or getting 260+ on Step 2 over a 240? Play the long game.

3. How much to study - Force yourself to study 1 hour every day when you get home. If you knocked out all your Anki cards at work, great!, still go home and study for an hour. Just worked 18 hours on surgery? Get your ass home and study for an hour. You're going to be much more tired when you get home this year so it's important to study a little every day, and you'll quickly find that 1 hour a day is more than enough to keep your knowledge ahead of your peers. If you try to do more than that you'll quickly notice fatigue sets in a lot quicker than it did during second year and there's serious diminishing returns the longer you study.

4. What to study (other than Anki) - UWorld+Anki is truly all you need to get an above average Step 2 score. Where you really start to separate yourself is what you study outside of those things. You could do another Qbank (AMBOSS is fantastic, although I only did a small percentage of it). What I did is listened to medically related podcasts while I was getting ready in the mornings, read a lot of UpToDate (random topics related to cases I saw), watched a little OME (I didn't find the videos particularly helpful), and occasionally read some IM related books (most of Step 2 is medicine). I truly don't think it matters what you choose to study outside of UWorld, as long as you're making an effort to learn new things every day and brush up on weak topics.

5. Common things people do that I would absolutely not recommend and you will very likely regret - Re-watching Sketchy, doing multiple Anki decks (such as Zanki and WiWa), studying 5 hours a day (you will burnout, you will become depressed, and your clinical performance will suffer), sacrificing sleep/exercise/healthy eating (probably the most important point), finding extra work to do on rotations (very rarely translates into a better evaluation), staying when your preceptor tells you to go home (this is for auditions, not 3rd year), answering pimp questions that were asked to another person or not giving other students a chance to answer (preceptors find this annoying more than impressive, and you will lose friends), and most importantly comparing yourself to your classmates (you all have different schedules, your knowledge gaps/strengths will be different throughout the year!).

That's all I got. Important to note this is one man's opinion but I think you'll find most students that scored well on Step 2 and got generally good clinical feedback will agree with the majority of the above. 3rd year is much better than 2nd. Enjoy the extra free time (and REAL days off!), and embrace feeling like a ***** (this won't stop for a while, so better get used to it). Good luck!

Reactions: 10 users
Hey friends, thought I'd pop in and give some CK advice to my 2021ers starting up rotations. It's easy when 3rd year starts to have grand plans about your study habits (I was the same), because you're just coming off Step 1 and accustomed to conquering huge volumes of work every day. You'll quickly find this is unrealistic, but I'm happy to report that I accomplished only a very small fraction of my original plan and still managed to score a 273. Here's some of the things I wish people told me when I started 3rd year:

1. Anki - An amazingly powerful tool that should be utilized for Step 2 (and beyond), but those that used it for Step 1 likely matured 15k+ cards and assume they'll do the same for Step 2. This is a mistake in many ways. Step 2 doesn't test information like Step 1 does, period. I think the ideal number of cards for Step 2 is somewhere around 5-6k. Personally I ended up maturing Zanki but was pretty liberal about suspending/combining poor cards or repeat concepts. I also made 1000 of my own cards throughout the year based on missed Qbank questions and random clinical pearls -- these 1000 cards got me easily twice as many questions correct on Step 2 than Zanki did. I initially intended to do over 12k cards based on various decks I found and I am so grateful that I didn't as I strongly believe I would have scored much lower. Be efficient and realistic about your Anki goals.

2. When to study - There's usually plenty of downtime in 3rd year, it's just typically scattered throughout the day. This is where Anki shines. Don't feel bad about taking your phone/tablet out and knocking out cards when there's downtime. Don't worry about offending your preceptors or looking unprofessional. At worst you'll have a particularly anal retentive attending that frowns on this and drops your evaluation without ever saying anything (this never happened to me). What do you think matters more on your residency application though, getting a HP over an H in a specialty you're not going into, or getting 260+ on Step 2 over a 240? Play the long game.

3. How much to study - Force yourself to study 1 hour every day when you get home. If you knocked out all your Anki cards at work, great!, still go home and study for an hour. Just worked 18 hours on surgery? Get your ass home and study for an hour. You're going to be much more tired when you get home this year so it's important to study a little every day, and you'll quickly find that 1 hour a day is more than enough to keep your knowledge ahead of your peers. If you try to do more than that you'll quickly notice fatigue sets in a lot quicker than it did during second year and there's serious diminishing returns the longer you study.

4. What to study (other than Anki) - UWorld+Anki is truly all you need to get an above average Step 2 score. Where you really start to separate yourself is what you study outside of those things. You could do another Qbank (AMBOSS is fantastic, although I only did a small percentage of it). What I did is listened to medically related podcasts while I was getting ready in the mornings, read a lot of UpToDate (random topics related to cases I saw), watched a little OME (I didn't find the videos particularly helpful), and occasionally read some IM related books (most of Step 2 is medicine). I truly don't think it matters what you choose to study outside of UWorld, as long as you're making an effort to learn new things every day and brush up on weak topics.

5. Common things people do that I would absolutely not recommend and you will very likely regret - Re-watching Sketchy, doing multiple Anki decks (such as Zanki and WiWa), studying 5 hours a day (you will burnout, you will become depressed, and your clinical performance will suffer), sacrificing sleep/exercise/healthy eating (probably the most important point), finding extra work to do on rotations (very rarely translates into a better evaluation), staying when your preceptor tells you to go home (this is for auditions, not 3rd year), answering pimp questions that were asked to another person or not giving other students a chance to answer (preceptors find this annoying more than impressive, and you will lose friends), and most importantly comparing yourself to your classmates (you all have different schedules, your knowledge gaps/strengths will be different throughout the year!).

That's all I got. Important to note this is one man's opinion but I think you'll find most students that scored well on Step 2 and got generally good clinical feedback will agree with the majority of the above. 3rd year is much better than 2nd. Enjoy the extra free time (and REAL days off!), and embrace feeling like a ***** (this won't stop for a while, so better get used to it). Good luck!
what was your step 1 if you dont mind me asking? I feel like strong performances carry forward.

Only document what you did. Dont document exam findings that you never did, dont copy over exam findings etc. It is a way to get expelled for professionalism. DO NOT EVER Lie. And never do this in real life too because if you get caught you are going to get fraud charges and possible jail time.

We are students, our note wont be perfect, but they will be close enough.
Of course not but I think it's disingenuous to say something is WNL from a bs 5 second exam.

Care to share any of the educational podcasts? I'm a big proponent of alternating loud music and educational audio while sitting in traffic :)

Third day of my first week. Internal med. I’m sooo tired and confused all day everyday!:(:(:(

Reactions: 7 users
This might be a dumb question... but do we need to do a full ZANKI step 1 deck for step 2? OR just a step 2 deck which is more focused (def forgot step 1 material already)

This might be a dumb question... but do we need to do a full ZANKI step 1 deck for step 2? OR just a step 2 deck which is more focused (def forgot step 1 material already)
You mean you’re not keeping up with you 1500ish reviews/day from step 1 in third year? Hope you like rural FM, bruh ;)

Reactions: 4 users
You mean you’re not keeping up with you 1500ish reviews/day from step 1 in third year? Hope you like rural FM, bruh ;)
Deleting that **** was both satisfying and horrifying. I'm hemorrhaging some of that info but I keep telling myself that it only matters if it comes up in pimping or questions. It has not... I find myself looking up some dumb stuff and then getting mad at myself for not remembering a card I would not being seeing until next year. The forgetting curve is very real but doesn't matter much apparently.

Got my first shelf back today. 92-94 raw score on neurology. Not sure when percentiles come out.

I’m very pleasantly surprised given that I only studied the last 2 weeks and weekends of the 4 week clerkship with most days coming home around 8pm and having research assignments/presentations to prep. Also the actual exam is hard as *****. Seriously, it covered so much (20-30%) non neuro stuff that you’d only know from being on consult service or doing other clerkships questions imo. Of 110 questions, I flagged 30 and only reviewed 10 with the time I had left. Never was the case in practice. Whatever you do, don’t get flustered - had friends that legit didn’t finish.

1) UW:
Did all of UW nervous system and optho except pediatrics which I recommend. Optho was pretty low yield but I did get a few questions on it. In the end it’s impossible to study everything tested on the shelf. Peripheral neuro, micro, toxins are not well covered by UW for the shelf imo.

2) NBME:
I did 4 NBMEs (81-86% on all). Very helpful imo to make certain associations. E.g. skin findings + neuro psych stuff vs abdominal findings + neuro psych stuff.

2) OME:
Also did OME neuro and dorians cards for it before the clerkship started which I recommend.

3) Other
My clerkship had daily educational conference for residents at lunch that I tried to pay attention to. A lot of the times it wasnt super helpful but it was very reinforcing of high yield concepts like syncope vs vasovagal vs vertigo vs atonic sz etc.
I also did a few chapters (100 qs or so) from pretest which was OK at best. Really annoying to flip back and forth to look at explanations.

For all questions I unsuspended the relevant Dorian/zanki card and also wrote 1-2 sentences of notes on a blank piece of paper. The last week of the clerkship was hard to keep up with Anki reviews so the sheets of notes were easily crammable. Especially since you can’t unsuspend Anki on mobile while doing questions on the floors.

So is the consensus for us non-Anki peeps to just UW and OME like our lives depend on it?

Lol first shelf on Friday. Basically haven't done much actual studying except for some OME and a bunch of questions because of how effing busy these last two months have been. Haven't been able to keep up with the dorian cards or UW like I planned. We'll see what happens I guess. YOLO baby

I feel like I'm pulling up from 35 feet and yelling "Kobe" lol

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Lol first shelf on Friday. Basically haven't done much actual studying except for some OME and a bunch of questions because of how effing busy these last two months have been. Haven't been able to keep up with the dorian cards or UW like I planned. We'll see what happens I guess. YOLO baby

I feel like I'm pulling up from 35 feet and yelling "Kobe" lol
getting smacked in the face by the first shelf was a wake up call to continue anki for this shelf. Godspeed.

• Sad

Looks like you took Step, coasted through first rotation anki-wise, got your grade back from first shelf ~45 days ago, and now you're picking up the effort...

>250 reviews is actually a pretty big day for during M3, I think...

So far I kinda view clinical time and reading up about my patients as the foundation of learning, and then using UW/Anki as a supplement, rather than during M1-2 where it's the other way around and anki is the foundation. Did well on my first shelf (FM) but worried I'm gonna get rekt on the next one maybe, if there's less overlap with Step 1 material.

Looks like you took Step, coasted through first rotation anki-wise, got your grade back from first shelf ~45 days ago, and now you're picking up the effort...

>250 reviews is actually a pretty big day for during M3, I think...

So far I kinda view clinical time and reading up about my patients as the foundation of learning, and then using UW/Anki as a supplement, rather than during M1-2 where it's the other way around and anki is the foundation. Did well on my first shelf (FM) but worried I'm gonna get rekt on the next one maybe, if there's less overlap with Step 1 material.
Ive been trying to do 500 a day. you guys are just smarter than I am. Everyone said that step 1 knowledge will carry you through the shelf. It did, but not to honors level. Ive still been having a bear of time with studying for this next shelf. Trying to just finish uworld, amboss, keep up with reviews and finish a few of those practice shelves.

I read extensively for my first shelf with uptodate, knew all about my patients etc. Now i am just doing what is expected in the rotation and trying to focus on real studying. The wards stuff barely helped during the last shelf.

Also did you have 8k review days? Absolute animal.

• Wow
Do you guys think the NBME practice exams are worth it? I take all seven shelves in 3 weeks and don’t wanna drop a ton of money on all of them if they’re not worth it

Ive been trying to do 500 a day. you guys are just smarter than I am. Everyone said that step 1 knowledge will carry you through the shelf. It did, but not to honors level. Ive still been having a bear of time with studying for this next shelf. Trying to just finish uworld, amboss, keep up with reviews and finish a few of those practice shelves.

I read extensively for my first shelf with uptodate, knew all about my patients etc. Now i am just doing what is expected in the rotation and trying to focus on real studying. The wards stuff barely helped during the last shelf.

Also did you have 8k review days? Absolute animal.

Hah! No, each column on that graph is a week: I hovered around 600-900 throughout M2. I think my all time biggest day was ~1700 reviews.

I'm sure you'll slay your next shelf if you're putting that much into it!

Honors is brutal to get at my school unfortunately so while honors would be great to get, even if I get the shelf score for it I only have about a 20% chance, I’m less worried about it than most people.

I just want to be above the median. I’m kinda banking on Step knowledge getting me through a lot of it since it’s IM and it carried me on all of the quizzes we had to do.

Next is a research month so I think I’m going to get up early and get back to doing cards every morning. Get a head start on the surgery shelf in October. Playing the long game paid off for me on Step 1, so hopefully if will for Step 2 as well.

So im on psych and im taking my first shelf this month (took omm comat last month lol), the tzanki deck only seems to have 100ish cards. Any suggestions supplementing this?

So im on psych and im taking my first shelf this month (took omm comat last month lol), the tzanki deck only seems to have 100ish cards. Any suggestions supplementing this?
amboss, uworld. Dorian has ~1k cards.

amboss, uworld. Dorian has ~1k cards.
I was pretty excited by the overall size of the tzanki deck at first, but im def seeing its lacking now. Finished psych deck today and it feels like it’s missing so much that id consider important. Dorian it is i guess

I was pretty excited by the overall size of the tzanki deck at first, but im def seeing its lacking now. Finished psych deck today and it feels like it’s missing so much that id consider important. Dorian it is i guess
Started psych today as well. Going through Dorian and will finally purchase uworld. Would also be curious if anyone has psych tips. It seems deceptively easy and I have trust issues.

I've been told the Psychiatry DocDeck is pretty good. Haven't tried it yet because I don't have Psych yet, but it might be worth giving it a try.

So now that I’ve jumped back on the uworld train for step/level 2 I have a question about averages. I know that most MD students use uworld throughout the year and then restart it. So does this mean the averages are skewed higher and have no way of gauging your performance like it did on step 1? I ask bc on step 1 I landed pretty dang close to that %correct correlation chart online.

Anyone else getting destroyed by amboss my percentages are running close to 70%. Whereas my uworld is running mid 80's after a rocky start.

I increased my Step 1 score by 30+ points and got in the 260s on CK and also did dramatically better during M3 year than I did in pre-clinicals. My primary resource for the shelf exams was UWorld which I studied thoroughly and tried to understand everything, augmented by one lower yield q-bank such as Pre-Test, uWISE, or AAFP. I tried to use the pre-made Anki decks but found that they spoiled the UWorld questions and I didn't learn as much, so I stopped using them and made my own Anki decks. And I obviously did every available NBME practice shelf. This was good for mostly honors during third year (~top 20% of the cohort). Of course, the shelf is only a part of it and the rest is your actual performance on the wards, which is a separate thing entirely but which I could still probably give some advice if anyone is interested.

For CK, I took a long dedicated and committed myself to doing as many practice questions as possible. By the time my dedicated started, UWorld had added a couple hundred more questions from the clerkships that I had completed, so I did those. Then I reset and did the whole thing again, reviewing each question in detail. Everyday I would also take one of the practice shelf exams and "re-do" it (eg, I would just look at the question and try to come up with the answer without looking at the multiple choice answers) which I thought was very helpful because it gives you 1000+ additional questions written by the NBME themselves. I originally planned to mature my homemade Anki decks again, but it turned out to be a time suck that took away from questions, so I only made Anki cards for things that I kept getting wrong over and over (eg, pure memorization questions like pre-natal diagnosis of diseases based on MSAFP and estradiol), or tidbits I could use to distinguish two different diseases (eg, serotonin syndrome vs. NMS vs. malignant hyperthermia, etc.) I only used a few hundred Anki cards for this test based on this strategy and thought it was very helpful. And of course, I took every available practice test. My wallet did not appreciate this, but it was the right move in the end.

For both the shelf exams and Step 2, how you feel coming out has 0 correlation with how you actually did. There have been shelves that I legitimately thought I may have failed that I ended up getting in the 90+ percentile in. And CK was one of the most mentally exhausting experiences of my life but I still came out fine. Definitely trust your practice exams and the work you put in. Good luck!

Reactions: 7 users
I increased my Step 1 score by 30+ points and got in the 260s on CK and also did dramatically better during M3 year than I did in pre-clinicals. My primary resource for the shelf exams was UWorld which I studied thoroughly and tried to understand everything, augmented by one lower yield q-bank such as Pre-Test, uWISE, or AAFP. I tried to use the pre-made Anki decks but found that they spoiled the UWorld questions and I didn't learn as much, so I stopped using them and made my own Anki decks. And I obviously did every available NBME practice shelf. This was good for mostly honors during third year (~top 20% of the cohort). Of course, the shelf is only a part of it and the rest is your actual performance on the wards, which is a separate thing entirely but which I could still probably give some advice if anyone is interested.

For CK, I took a long dedicated and committed myself to doing as many practice questions as possible. By the time my dedicated started, UWorld had added a couple hundred more questions from the clerkships that I had completed, so I did those. Then I reset and did the whole thing again, reviewing each question in detail. Everyday I would also take one of the practice shelf exams and "re-do" it (eg, I would just look at the question and try to come up with the answer without looking at the multiple choice answers) which I thought was very helpful because it gives you 1000+ additional questions written by the NBME themselves. I originally planned to mature my homemade Anki decks again, but it turned out to be a time suck that took away from questions, so I only made Anki cards for things that I kept getting wrong over and over (eg, pure memorization questions like pre-natal diagnosis of diseases based on MSAFP and estradiol), or tidbits I could use to distinguish two different diseases (eg, serotonin syndrome vs. NMS vs. malignant hyperthermia, etc.) I only used a few hundred Anki cards for this test based on this strategy and thought it was very helpful. And of course, I took every available practice test. My wallet did not appreciate this, but it was the right move in the end.

For both the shelf exams and Step 2, how you feel coming out has 0 correlation with how you actually did. There have been shelves that I legitimately thought I may have failed that I ended up getting in the 90+ percentile in. And CK was one of the most mentally exhausting experiences of my life but I still came out fine. Definitely trust your practice exams and the work you put in. Good luck!
Did you do the practice NBME shelf exams during dedicated and before your shelves?

Did you do the practice NBME shelf exams during dedicated and before your shelves?
Yes. I bought them before the shelves and did them then. During dedicated, I still had access to all of them and had forgotten pretty much all of the questions since I had taken many of them over a year ago at this point. So I would change the window of each question so that all I could see is the question stem and see if I could answer it. Now that the NBME highlights the answer you can know for sure if you got it right or not.