getfat

5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Guess I'll give some updates too. Below Average (~220) on Step 1. Plan on taking Step 2/Level 2 in June so need to improve.

So far i've completed everything but OB, Surgery, Psych.

Completed COMQUEST & COMBANK during every rotation. Slowly working through dorians deck. Matured everything but the Uworld, NBME portion of these sections.

School utilizes COMATs for shelf exams. COMQUEST is essential for doing well on COMATs.
IM: Pass (~100), Peds: Pass (~100), FM: Honor (~110), OMM: Honor (~115).

Starting UW for medicine, peds @ a pace of 1 block per day. Plan on completing UW 1st pass by ~March. Plan on utilizing a word doc for incorrects and incorporating cards. One big error I made for step 1 was resource overload and not spending time focus on my errors (making an incorrect word doc and actually reviewing it).

Hoped to complete a first pass of SU2M over winter break but couldn't find the time.

TheVagooseIsLoose

2+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hellworld
Status
Medical Student
Sup fam. It's been a while. Hope everyone had a good run of the holidays. Glad to see everyone working hard and crushing clinicals.

Mid/Low Tier MD
Step 1 High 250s

Just trying to match my step 1 at minimum. Been pretty lazy with the cards and stuff this year. Clinicals take a lot of time, and Uworld along with the Dorian deck has proved to be sufficient for me to honor my shelves and rotations. So I haven't branched out much. Haven't been doing much if any research either. I have no more love to give lol.

Done with psych/OB/IM. IM was first for me and I was so ****ing burnt. Also turns out I really don't like IM haha. I was miserable- during IM was the only time I questioned my decision to do medicine. The hours were fine but I loathed the practice. Scraped honors by the skin of my teeth (something like 0.3 points over the cutoff). Did much better on OB and psych once I got into the swing of things. Surgery up next! Pretty pumped/nervous since I'm aiming for a surgical subspecialty. We will see how it goes.

Anyone in this thread have any advice on schedule step 2 cs around away rotations? Is there any consensus on what makes the most sense? Looking to get that in the books soon as the city closest to me tends to fill up fast.

About the Ads

Espressso

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2016
blood-brain barrier
Status
Medical Student
How much time are the fellow DO students taking between Step 2 and level 2? I took 6 days between the two tests last may/june and that was WAY too long. I'm thinking either like a Friday/Monday or a Friday/Tuesday. Wanted to hear some other opinions from people who took less time in between exams last year.

Neopolymath

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2014
Status
Medical Student
How much time are the fellow DO students taking between Step 2 and level 2? I took 6 days between the two tests last may/june and that was WAY too long. I'm thinking either like a Friday/Monday or a Friday/Tuesday. Wanted to hear some other opinions from people who took less time in between exams last year.
3 days between with a real half day of studying OMM was good enough for sure. Your form may vary.

Reactions: Scrubs101

Frogger27

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2016
Status
Medical Student
How much time of complete dedicated is necessary for Step 2? I end on a relatively light schedule (6 weeks of psych and 2 week anesthesia elective). Was thinking of taking 3 weeks off and taking exam in middle of July. Would this be enough time??

Reactions: Scrubs101

Espressso

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2016
blood-brain barrier
Status
Medical Student
3 days between with a real half day of studying OMM was good enough for sure. Your form may vary.
If you don't mind me asking, is that assuming you don't study any omm during your dedicated period? Last year I didn't touch omm since my school's comsae which was about 7-8 weeks prior to my exam date. I thought I would need more than a day to study omm. I'm debating for this year to study omm throughout my dedicated period instead of saving it for right after the usmle. I think @AnatomyGrey12 can shed light on this I believe he had mentioned last year that he was taking comsaes and studying omm throughout dedicated.

Neopolymath

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2014
Status
Medical Student
If you don't mind me asking, is that assuming you don't study any omm during your dedicated period? Last year I didn't touch omm since my school's comsae which was about 7-8 weeks prior to my exam date. I thought I would need more than a day to study omm. I'm debating for this year to study omm throughout my dedicated period instead of saving it for right after the usmle. I think @AnatomyGrey12 can shed light on this I believe he had mentioned last year that he was taking comsaes and studying omm throughout dedicated.
Yeah, for level one I did not study it at all besides school exams/practicals and then that day before the Comlex. I refuse to put any time into it and it worked out great. This year I have an omm comat so I will do anki for that and just keep up the small amount of reviews until the test. I will likely not even study for OMM between USMLE and Comlex at all due to keeping up with anki deck. I will probably just chill for 3 days to recharge. Probably study some legal/ethics right beforehand and review weird micro that tends to show up on comlex.
^^I’m personally giving it a week just to rock through the turn up to path and turn up to law decks bc apparently level 2 has a bunch of ethics crap where all the answers will be in Latin.
This is the main area my plan for level two differs from level one. I have OMM comat/rotation before boards so the plan is to do the Turn Up decks and keep up with them because I will be doing the OMM deck as my only studying for the comat/rotation. Then I won't have much to do in between exams.

Reactions: Ho0v-man

Gilakend

7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Sorry if this isn't the correct place, I just didn't want to make my own thread for a relatively insignificant question.

Background: I go to a school where we do all of our clinical rotations before step. I'm currently about 10k deep in Zanki step 1 and probably 50% of our quizzes and exams are "next step", treatment, management, or diagnostic tests which is almost absent from Zanki step 1 which is mainly phys/path. I've just been making my own cards for these or using classmates' cards. In order to save time I was considering downloading an M3/Clinical deck so I could just unsuspend cards instead of making them myself only to delete them later.

So my question is: What deck would you guys recommend for someone who will be doing clinicals while keeping up with Zanki reviews? I saw a post Doc Zay made on reddit that Dorian would be better for someone who had a good foundation than Doc/WiWa, but didn't know if that was the consensus?

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Epicurusall

2+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Sorry if this isn't the correct place, I just didn't want to make my own thread for a relatively insignificant question.

Background: I go to a school where we do all of our clinical rotations before step. I'm currently about 10k deep in Zanki step 1 and probably 50% of our quizzes and exams are "next step", treatment, management, or diagnostic tests which is almost absent from Zanki step 1 which is mainly phys/path. I've just been making my own cards for these or using classmates' cards. In order to save time I was considering downloading an M3/Clinical deck so I could just unsuspend cards instead of making them myself only to delete them later.

So my question is: What deck would you guys recommend for someone who will be doing clinicals while keeping up with Zanki reviews? I saw a post Doc Zay made on reddit that Dorian would be better for someone who had a good foundation than Doc/WiWa, but didn't know if that was the consensus?

Thanks and good luck to everyone
It's all so personal. Many people use different decks, and many people either make a few of their own or don't use flashcards at all.

My recommendation is to download a variety and try them out to see what works for you and what doesn't. If you are learning adequately without the pre-made decks, then you might not need them at all.

Reactions: Gilakend
About the Ads

pennies124

2+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2015
Anyone need uworld step2 ck qbank? Mine expires sept 12 with reset and both assessments. Message if interested.

Diphyllobothrium latum

2+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2017
I took my test in December '19, but my heart is with this group right here as we all went through Step 1 together. So let this be the first score report for this 2020 thread.

Step 2CK: 271

Uworld 1st pass %: 84.9%/94th percentile (true percentage is around 85.7% due to accidentally ending a block without answering questions)
UWSA1: 274 (3.5 weeks out)
UWSA2: 276 (1.5 week out)

NBME 6: 265 (2 months out)
NBME 7: 269 (2.5 weeks out)
NBME 8: 279 (5 days out)

If I were to sum up Step 2CK in 5 sentences/"golden rules":

1) Step 2CK is all about ruling out incorrect options rather than picking correct answers

Apply this principle to every single question, even when you know the answer right away (which is rare in Step 2CK) Focus on learning how to differentiate between similar options and picking the "best answer" when multiple options seem correct/relevant. This single principle makes the difference between OK and great scores.

2) Uworld, UWSAs and NBMEs are you really need. Everything else is optional.

Dissect every Uworld explanation, without losing sight of the main concept. Details matter but not all details are made equal - focus on the details that help you pick an option over the other, and not just random factoids. Extra resources will probably not make any difference at best (and can even hurt you).

3) Practice time management from day 1.

Timing will always be an issue in Step 2CK, no exceptions. You must prepare accordingly. Even when using tutor mode, you should always go for timed mode and maintain a steady pace when solving questions. Mark the ones you don't know and solve them at the end of each block. Don't get flustered with questions you don't know - rule out incorrect options, try to see what concept is the question writer trying to test you on, make an educated guess and move on.

4) Step 1 knowledge is absolutely relevant for Step 2CK.

Keep your Step 1 FA by your side at all times. Half the actual exam contains questions you'd normally find in Step 1.

5) Properly peak into the exam, just like athletes do for major sporting events.

The exam itself is v͟e͟r͟y͟ demanding and will test your limits of sustained concentration and critical thinking. You need to be in peak shape the day you take the test. To do that, you need to avoid burnout and take regular off days religiously throughout your preparation, keep a steady sleep schedule and make sure you 're getting adequate sleep (especially during the last month of your preparation) and maintain any activities that keep stress under control, like exercise. Please don't study a͟n͟y͟t͟h͟i͟n͟g͟ the last day before the exam. Don't overhype yourself on test day - thinking about this being a high-stakes exam, only serves to increase your anxiety and you paradoxically end up underperforming. Think it's just another regular day of solving 8 Uworld blocks instead and you 're guaranteed to perform just like any other normal day at the very least. If you 've prepared properly, this is enough to ace the test after all.

Last edited:

kb1900

2+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I took my test in December '19, but my heart is with this group right here as we all went through Step 1 together. So let this be the first score report for this 2020 thread.

Uworld 1st pass %: 84.9%/94th percentile (true percentage is around 85.7% due to accidentally ending a block without answering questions)

1) Step 2CK is all about ruling out incorrect options rather than picking correct answers

Apply this principle to every single question, even when you know the answer right away (which is rare in Step 2CK) Focus on learning how to differentiate between similar options and picking the "best answer" when multiple options seem correct/relevant. This single principle makes the difference between OK and great scores.

Dissect every Uworld explanation, without losing sight of the main concept. Details matter but not all details are made equal - focus on the details that help you pick an option over the other, and not just random factoids. Extra resources will probably not make any difference at best (and can even hurt you).

Timing will always be an issue in Step 2CK, no exceptions. You must prepare accordingly. Even when using tutor mode, you should always go for timed mode and maintain a steady pace when solving questions. Mark the ones you don't know and solve them at the end of each block. Don't get flustered with questions you don't know - rule out incorrect options, try to see what concept is the question writer trying to test you on, make an educated guess and move on.

Keep your Step 1 FA by your side at all times. Half the actual exam contains questions you'd normally find in Step 1.

5) Properly peak into the exam, just like athletes do for major sporting events.

The exam itself is v͟e͟r͟y͟ demanding and will test your limits of sustained concentration and critical thinking. You need to be in peak shape the day you take the test. To do that, you need to avoid burnout and take regular off days religiously throughout your preparation, keep a steady sleep schedule and make sure you 're getting adequate sleep (especially during the last month of your preparation) and maintain any activities that keep stress under control, like exercise. Please don't study a͟n͟y͟t͟h͟i͟n͟g͟ the last day before the exam. Don't overhype yourself on test day - thinking about this being a high-stakes exam, only serves to increase your anxiety and you paradoxically end up underperforming. Think it's just another regular day of solving 8 Uworld blocks instead and you 're guaranteed to perform just like any other normal day at the very least. If you 've prepared properly, this is enough to ace the test after all.
Incredible score! Congrats

how were your shelf exam scores if you don’t mind my asking?

Diphyllobothrium latum

2+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2017
Incredible score! Congrats

how were your shelf exam scores if you don’t mind my asking?
Thanks! Being an FMG, I haven't taken any shelf exams whatsoever. I went straight into Uworld from day 1. I took a month off after Step 1 and then prepared for around 5 and a half months straight, (semi) full-time, 7-9 hours a day, 6 days a week.

Reactions: kb1900

redsox93

2+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2016
Status

How did you use FA for step 2? I noticed that I probably could've answered 80% of the questions on my Neuro shelf with info from FA so I was thinking about trying to incorporate it into step 2 studying but don't really know how to do that since all I really do is Uworld and anki

Diphyllobothrium latum

2+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2017
How did you use FA for step 2? I noticed that I probably could've answered 80% of the questions on my Neuro shelf with info from FA so I was thinking about trying to incorporate it into step 2 studying but don't really know how to do that since all I really do is Uworld and anki
This was largely true for my real deal as a whole. Let me just say that my exam had questions on low-yield bugs you'd never expect to see in Step 1, Gram stains, genetics, histo slides (one of which could not be answered without looking at the slide), antibiotics MoAs, drug side effects, immunodeficiencies.

After solving a question in Uworld, I'd read the corresponding Uworld notes, which I basically used as my Step 2 bible. You can easily find the 2019 PDF if you take a look at the Step 2 FB forums. After reading the notes and incorporating any new info added to UWorld as my own notes at the margins or making any necessary corrections, I'd quickly review the relevant FA chapter. Then I'd incorporate any relevant Step 1 notes into the Step 2 book, especially if they came from Step 1 Uworld or were high-yield Step 1 material. That way, I had all the necessary info in one place and didn't have to go through FA over and over.

eg solve a question on nephrotic syndrome, read UW notes, add any new Uworld info, read Step 1 FA page on nephrotic syndrome, incorporate any necessary Step 1 info into UW notes.

Prince090

5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I am selling my step 2 ck notes that are entirely composed of info contained in uworld. $50 dollars

redsox93

2+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2016
Status
Does anyone plan on watching sketchy micro/pharm again before taking step 2? I've been getting by fine on uworld with my Step 1 knowledge but idk if a refresher on those would be worth it

FindersFee5

2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Does anyone plan on watching sketchy micro/pharm again before taking step 2? I've been getting by fine on uworld with my Step 1 knowledge but idk if a refresher on those would be worth it
I'm thinking about going through the sketchy pharm cards again at least. Although there don't seem like there are that many drug mechanism UWorld questions, IDK how representative those are.

Reactions: redsox93

izchief360

5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2014
Took it yesterday, 1/17. The level of vagueness and pointlessness of the questions was unprecedented.
It was as if they fed medical diseases into an AI algorithm, with all the associated history/social/diagnostics/management info, and asked it to spit out the most esoteric question it could with all that data. I'm sure some will disagree, but FWIW, I found this exam to be a poorer gauge of clinical knowledge than Step 1.

Pepe18

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Took Ck first week of December and got a 262. My step 1 was <250.

I worked hard to crush my shelf exams, so my only studying was to zoom through Zanki over one week to refresh my memory and I did ~500 UWorld questions. You really don't need to know facts for Ck as much as you need to think through which answers make sense using the clinical knowledge you have

About the Ads