Official 2020 Step 2 CK Experiences With Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets get this started. You know the routine.
Mid Tier MD
Step 1 250-255
mid tier everything.

I need 10 more points compared to my step 1

Not a bad idea to talk about shelves either.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
How much time are the fellow DO students taking between Step 2 and level 2? I took 6 days between the two tests last may/june and that was WAY too long. I'm thinking either like a Friday/Monday or a Friday/Tuesday. Wanted to hear some other opinions from people who took less time in between exams last year.

How much time are the fellow DO students taking between Step 2 and level 2? I took 6 days between the two tests last may/june and that was WAY too long. I'm thinking either like a Friday/Monday or a Friday/Tuesday. Wanted to hear some other opinions from people who took less time in between exams last year.
3 days between with a real half day of studying OMM was good enough for sure. Your form may vary.

Reactions: 1 users
How much time of complete dedicated is necessary for Step 2? I end on a relatively light schedule (6 weeks of psych and 2 week anesthesia elective). Was thinking of taking 3 weeks off and taking exam in middle of July. Would this be enough time??

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
3 days between with a real half day of studying OMM was good enough for sure. Your form may vary.

If you don't mind me asking, is that assuming you don't study any omm during your dedicated period? Last year I didn't touch omm since my school's comsae which was about 7-8 weeks prior to my exam date. I thought I would need more than a day to study omm. I'm debating for this year to study omm throughout my dedicated period instead of saving it for right after the usmle. I think @AnatomyGrey12 can shed light on this I believe he had mentioned last year that he was taking comsaes and studying omm throughout dedicated.

^^I’m personally giving it a week just to rock through the turn up to path and turn up to law decks bc apparently level 2 has a bunch of ethics crap where all the answers will be in Latin.

Reactions: 4 users
If you don't mind me asking, is that assuming you don't study any omm during your dedicated period? Last year I didn't touch omm since my school's comsae which was about 7-8 weeks prior to my exam date. I thought I would need more than a day to study omm. I'm debating for this year to study omm throughout my dedicated period instead of saving it for right after the usmle. I think @AnatomyGrey12 can shed light on this I believe he had mentioned last year that he was taking comsaes and studying omm throughout dedicated.
Yeah, for level one I did not study it at all besides school exams/practicals and then that day before the Comlex. I refuse to put any time into it and it worked out great. This year I have an omm comat so I will do anki for that and just keep up the small amount of reviews until the test. I will likely not even study for OMM between USMLE and Comlex at all due to keeping up with anki deck. I will probably just chill for 3 days to recharge. Probably study some legal/ethics right beforehand and review weird micro that tends to show up on comlex.
^^I’m personally giving it a week just to rock through the turn up to path and turn up to law decks bc apparently level 2 has a bunch of ethics crap where all the answers will be in Latin.
This is the main area my plan for level two differs from level one. I have OMM comat/rotation before boards so the plan is to do the Turn Up decks and keep up with them because I will be doing the OMM deck as my only studying for the comat/rotation. Then I won't have much to do in between exams.

RUdPyQP.jpeg

Sorry if this isn't the correct place, I just didn't want to make my own thread for a relatively insignificant question.

Background: I go to a school where we do all of our clinical rotations before step. I'm currently about 10k deep in Zanki step 1 and probably 50% of our quizzes and exams are "next step", treatment, management, or diagnostic tests which is almost absent from Zanki step 1 which is mainly phys/path. I've just been making my own cards for these or using classmates' cards. In order to save time I was considering downloading an M3/Clinical deck so I could just unsuspend cards instead of making them myself only to delete them later.

So my question is: What deck would you guys recommend for someone who will be doing clinicals while keeping up with Zanki reviews? I saw a post Doc Zay made on reddit that Dorian would be better for someone who had a good foundation than Doc/WiWa, but didn't know if that was the consensus?

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Sorry if this isn't the correct place, I just didn't want to make my own thread for a relatively insignificant question.

Background: I go to a school where we do all of our clinical rotations before step. I'm currently about 10k deep in Zanki step 1 and probably 50% of our quizzes and exams are "next step", treatment, management, or diagnostic tests which is almost absent from Zanki step 1 which is mainly phys/path. I've just been making my own cards for these or using classmates' cards. In order to save time I was considering downloading an M3/Clinical deck so I could just unsuspend cards instead of making them myself only to delete them later.

So my question is: What deck would you guys recommend for someone who will be doing clinicals while keeping up with Zanki reviews? I saw a post Doc Zay made on reddit that Dorian would be better for someone who had a good foundation than Doc/WiWa, but didn't know if that was the consensus?

Thanks and good luck to everyone

It's all so personal. Many people use different decks, and many people either make a few of their own or don't use flashcards at all.

My recommendation is to download a variety and try them out to see what works for you and what doesn't. If you are learning adequately without the pre-made decks, then you might not need them at all.

Anyone need uworld step2 ck qbank? Mine expires sept 12 with reset and both assessments. Message if interested.

I took my test in December '19, but my heart is with this group right here as we all went through Step 1 together. So let this be the first score report for this 2020 thread.

Step 2CK: 271

Uworld 1st pass %: 84.9%/94th percentile (true percentage is around 85.7% due to accidentally ending a block without answering questions)
UWSA1: 274 (3.5 weeks out)
UWSA2: 276 (1.5 week out)

NBME 6: 265 (2 months out)
NBME 7: 269 (2.5 weeks out)
NBME 8: 279 (5 days out)

If I were to sum up Step 2CK in 5 sentences/"golden rules":

1) Step 2CK is all about ruling out incorrect options rather than picking correct answers

Apply this principle to every single question, even when you know the answer right away (which is rare in Step 2CK) Focus on learning how to differentiate between similar options and picking the "best answer" when multiple options seem correct/relevant. This single principle makes the difference between OK and great scores.

2) Uworld, UWSAs and NBMEs are you really need. Everything else is optional.

Dissect every Uworld explanation, without losing sight of the main concept. Details matter but not all details are made equal - focus on the details that help you pick an option over the other, and not just random factoids. Extra resources will probably not make any difference at best (and can even hurt you).

3) Practice time management from day 1.

Timing will always be an issue in Step 2CK, no exceptions. You must prepare accordingly. Even when using tutor mode, you should always go for timed mode and maintain a steady pace when solving questions. Mark the ones you don't know and solve them at the end of each block. Don't get flustered with questions you don't know - rule out incorrect options, try to see what concept is the question writer trying to test you on, make an educated guess and move on.

4) Step 1 knowledge is absolutely relevant for Step 2CK.

Keep your Step 1 FA by your side at all times. Half the actual exam contains questions you'd normally find in Step 1.

5) Properly peak into the exam, just like athletes do for major sporting events.

The exam itself is v͟e͟r͟y͟ demanding and will test your limits of sustained concentration and critical thinking. You need to be in peak shape the day you take the test. To do that, you need to avoid burnout and take regular off days religiously throughout your preparation, keep a steady sleep schedule and make sure you 're getting adequate sleep (especially during the last month of your preparation) and maintain any activities that keep stress under control, like exercise. Please don't study a͟n͟y͟t͟h͟i͟n͟g͟ the last day before the exam. Don't overhype yourself on test day - thinking about this being a high-stakes exam, only serves to increase your anxiety and you paradoxically end up underperforming. Think it's just another regular day of solving 8 Uworld blocks instead and you 're guaranteed to perform just like any other normal day at the very least. If you 've prepared properly, this is enough to ace the test after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
I took my test in December '19, but my heart is with this group right here as we all went through Step 1 together. So let this be the first score report for this 2020 thread.

Uworld 1st pass %: 84.9%/94th percentile (true percentage is around 85.7% due to accidentally ending a block without answering questions)

1) Step 2CK is all about ruling out incorrect options rather than picking correct answers

Apply this principle to every single question, even when you know the answer right away (which is rare in Step 2CK) Focus on learning how to differentiate between similar options and picking the "best answer" when multiple options seem correct/relevant. This single principle makes the difference between OK and great scores.

Dissect every Uworld explanation, without losing sight of the main concept. Details matter but not all details are made equal - focus on the details that help you pick an option over the other, and not just random factoids. Extra resources will probably not make any difference at best (and can even hurt you).

Timing will always be an issue in Step 2CK, no exceptions. You must prepare accordingly. Even when using tutor mode, you should always go for timed mode and maintain a steady pace when solving questions. Mark the ones you don't know and solve them at the end of each block. Don't get flustered with questions you don't know - rule out incorrect options, try to see what concept is the question writer trying to test you on, make an educated guess and move on.

Keep your Step 1 FA by your side at all times. Half the actual exam contains questions you'd normally find in Step 1.

5) Properly peak into the exam, just like athletes do for major sporting events.

The exam itself is v͟e͟r͟y͟ demanding and will test your limits of sustained concentration and critical thinking. You need to be in peak shape the day you take the test. To do that, you need to avoid burnout and take regular off days religiously throughout your preparation, keep a steady sleep schedule and make sure you 're getting adequate sleep (especially during the last month of your preparation) and maintain any activities that keep stress under control, like exercise. Please don't study a͟n͟y͟t͟h͟i͟n͟g͟ the last day before the exam. Don't overhype yourself on test day - thinking about this being a high-stakes exam, only serves to increase your anxiety and you paradoxically end up underperforming. Think it's just another regular day of solving 8 Uworld blocks instead and you 're guaranteed to perform just like any other normal day at the very least. If you 've prepared properly, this is enough to ace the test after all.
Incredible score! Congrats

how were your shelf exam scores if you don’t mind my asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Incredible score! Congrats

how were your shelf exam scores if you don’t mind my asking?

Thanks! Being an FMG, I haven't taken any shelf exams whatsoever. I went straight into Uworld from day 1. I took a month off after Step 1 and then prepared for around 5 and a half months straight, (semi) full-time, 7-9 hours a day, 6 days a week.

How did you use FA for step 2? I noticed that I probably could've answered 80% of the questions on my Neuro shelf with info from FA so I was thinking about trying to incorporate it into step 2 studying but don't really know how to do that since all I really do is Uworld and anki

How did you use FA for step 2? I noticed that I probably could've answered 80% of the questions on my Neuro shelf with info from FA so I was thinking about trying to incorporate it into step 2 studying but don't really know how to do that since all I really do is Uworld and anki

This was largely true for my real deal as a whole. Let me just say that my exam had questions on low-yield bugs you'd never expect to see in Step 1, Gram stains, genetics, histo slides (one of which could not be answered without looking at the slide), antibiotics MoAs, drug side effects, immunodeficiencies.

After solving a question in Uworld, I'd read the corresponding Uworld notes, which I basically used as my Step 2 bible. You can easily find the 2019 PDF if you take a look at the Step 2 FB forums. After reading the notes and incorporating any new info added to UWorld as my own notes at the margins or making any necessary corrections, I'd quickly review the relevant FA chapter. Then I'd incorporate any relevant Step 1 notes into the Step 2 book, especially if they came from Step 1 Uworld or were high-yield Step 1 material. That way, I had all the necessary info in one place and didn't have to go through FA over and over.

eg solve a question on nephrotic syndrome, read UW notes, add any new Uworld info, read Step 1 FA page on nephrotic syndrome, incorporate any necessary Step 1 info into UW notes.

Does anyone plan on watching sketchy micro/pharm again before taking step 2? I've been getting by fine on uworld with my Step 1 knowledge but idk if a refresher on those would be worth it

Does anyone plan on watching sketchy micro/pharm again before taking step 2? I've been getting by fine on uworld with my Step 1 knowledge but idk if a refresher on those would be worth it

I'm thinking about going through the sketchy pharm cards again at least. Although there don't seem like there are that many drug mechanism UWorld questions, IDK how representative those are.

Took it yesterday, 1/17. The level of vagueness and pointlessness of the questions was unprecedented.
It was as if they fed medical diseases into an AI algorithm, with all the associated history/social/diagnostics/management info, and asked it to spit out the most esoteric question it could with all that data. I'm sure some will disagree, but FWIW, I found this exam to be a poorer gauge of clinical knowledge than Step 1.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Hi, I'm an IMG studying for STEP 2CK

Does anyone knows if there is a better order to take the NBME's or UWSA? Which one are more predictive??

Hi, My exam is in 6 weeks!
I am an IMG, with very ordinary step 1 score 235-240
did UW *1 average 58-60%
UWSA 1 =when I had used 30% of Uworld =212
UWSA 2 = when I had used 90% of Uworld =228
Will appreciate any suggestion?
I really need to improve my score :)

Thank you so much

Took it yesterday, 1/17. The level of vagueness and pointlessness of the questions was unprecedented.
It was as if they fed medical diseases into an AI algorithm, with all the associated history/social/diagnostics/management info, and asked it to spit out the most esoteric question it could with all that data. I'm sure some will disagree, but FWIW, I found this exam to be a poorer gauge of clinical knowledge than Step 1.

Score back today; 239. I'll take it.
I still think my reflections of the exam are appropriate, but there's a huge difference between how I felt post-test and the actual score.

I had insomnia after taking Step 2 CK. Kept thinking I did horribly. Just want to contribute to the community!

The following are my scores and the order I took them in:
UWORLD 1: 235
UWORLD 2: 246
NBME 7: 225 <-- Don't waste your time with this exam!
NBME 8: 230

Actual Step 2 score: 246

Obviously my score was most accurately represented by UWORLD 2. Trust your practice exams! Best of luck everyone!

Time to check back in: Just signed up for the beast today. Basically my plan is OME notes, UWorld, Practice tests, and MAYBE the UWorld Dorian cards. I decided to stop doing the Dorian deck because it was so redundant, probably shouldn't have but I did. I'm taking May as a dedicated with the test scheduled the last week, so 3.5 weeks of pure dedicated.

Goal is 250+.

Just started UWorld 3 days ago and sitting at 65% after a couple blocks, I really need to cut out the dumb mistakes out because those are killing me. I overthink a lot of questions I'm noticing so far.

Does anyone know good are the NBME forms 7, 8, and 9 are? I want to gauge their effectiveness before I buy any practice tests outside of UW1+2, which I already have.

Time to check back in: Just signed up for the beast today. Basically my plan is OME notes, UWorld, Practice tests, and MAYBE the UWorld Dorian cards. I decided to stop doing the Dorian deck because it was so redundant, probably shouldn't have but I did. I'm taking May as a dedicated with the test scheduled the last week, so 3.5 weeks of pure dedicated.

Goal is 250+.

Just started UWorld 3 days ago and sitting at 65% after a couple blocks, I really need to cut out the dumb mistakes out because those are killing me. I overthink a lot of questions I'm noticing so far.

Does anyone know good are the NBME forms 7, 8, and 9 are? I want to gauge their effectiveness before I buy any practice tests outside of UW1+2, which I already have.
I’ve heard people say don’t waste your time with the NBME forms and that the uworld self assessments are all you need. But idk I might just do them for the extra questions at least

Goal is 250+.

I really liked the NBME self assessments. #9 was four points away from my actual score.

Goal is 250+.

I strongly suggest doing all NBMEs. The concepts that the NBMEs test are all Uworld concepts. The quality of the questions isn't too great, but it's still quite an improvement compared to Step 1. The NBMEs serve as a great tool to revise all Uworld concepts in a high-yield manner, as novel questions are better than redoing old questions and refine your skills in applying knowledge.

I'd say my exam was basically a very hard NBME. While Uworld has everything you need in terms of concepts and knowledge, it's quite different in terms of question writing style, question length, phrasing and similarity of possible answers.

FYI my actual score was the exact average of my 3 NBMEs and only 1.5 points away from my NBMEs+UWSA average. My impression is that the NBMEs in Step 2CK work in the opposite way they do for Step 1. In Step 1, the closer you are to the mean, the better the predictability of NBMEs and UWSAs, while in Step 2CK, most people in the high/very high scores have NBMEs similar to their score. I might be totally wrong here, but this is my impression based on reading other people's experiences.

Reactions: 4 users
Gonna get off my fat butt and schedule this beast today. Between an easy elective and the two weeks my school gives me, I should have about 4 weeks for this thing.

I honestly feel a little worse about this than step 1. Everyone does uworld in a different order and more do it twice than don’t so your percentile rank seems even more meaningless than it did for step 1. Shelf scores have been pretty good, but they’re COMATs, not NBMEs so can’t trust that either.

I’ve mostly been doing Dorian for shelves. I need to do about 900 more IM questions (whoops!) but I’ve knocked out the other sections while on rotations.

This year I’ve been studying literally the exact opposite way of what I did during preclinical so hope it works out for no reason:)

How much time are the fellow DO students taking between Step 2 and level 2?
3 days for me. But I'm taking both in late june.
After taking Level 1, personally I realized most of the OMM question can be done w/ a simple cheat sheet. Personally, I'm planning on making the same cheat sheet a had from level 1.

Guess I'll check back in too:

Scheduled both Step 2 and Level 2 for Late June.

As of right now I have 3 weeks dedicated w/ no rotations. Planning taking a 2 chill electives in radiology and GI so potentially looking at starting my "dedicated" around mid March.

Working on cementing the details for my study plan (because i didn't do this well for Step 1 last year). I made an excel document. Right now looking at a study schedule of 10 weeks. Hoping to have this completed by around beginning of march so that I can get critiqued. Right now my biggest worry is doing something similar as w/ step 1 (too many resources and didn't cement anything).

1581267567164.png

My CK result should come out this Wednesday but my permit hasn’t disappeared yet. So stressed right now.
Got a 246 on uwsa1 and that’s the only one I took. I hope I get at least a 220.
Did you guys hear about people failing with a uwsa 1 score of 246.

So my field doesn't really care about step 2 and I have been having difficulty figuring out when to take the thing.
I have honored 4/5 core rotations so far with just dorian + uworld+ amboss. part of me wants to take the thing so it can be over with , the other part of me says just to half ass it and take it in September so scores get reported before ranking.
Another part of me says to take it in may and just kill it since i have already been prepping with shelves and doing well.

Any suggestions?

Any ideas on what fields absolutely need step 2 before interviewing ? In case i change my mind late.

My CK result should come out this Wednesday but my permit hasn’t disappeared yet. So stressed right now.

I haven’t heard of anyone failing with such a score on UWSA 1. I had 244 on the UWSA 1 and 248 on the real thing. Hope you ace your exam.

So my field doesn't really care about step 2 and I have been having difficulty figuring out when to take the thing.
I have honored 4/5 core rotations so far with just dorian + uworld+ amboss. part of me wants to take the thing so it can be over with , the other part of me says just to half ass it and take it in September so scores get reported before ranking.
Another part of me says to take it in may and just kill it since i have already been prepping with shelves and doing well.

Any suggestions?

Any ideas on what fields absolutely need step 2 before interviewing ? In case i change my mind late.

You're going to crush it regardless when you take it, I say take it in May/June after clerkships and just be done with it. That also protects you incase you change your mind last minute for specialty choice

3 and 1/2 weeks of dedicated enough? I end with 6 weeks of psych and a 2 week anesthesia rotation so I figure I’ll be able to study a decent amount during these rotations.

Also when is best time to restart Uworld?? I have completed 90% of it through my rotations- the only part i have not done is psych. Rotation schedule is left is FM, neuro and psych. Thinking about restarting it around mid March?

Any suggestions?

Been going through a similar thought process, especially because I finish with my medicine rotation, though the timing at my school isn't great: I only have ~9 days after medicine finishes before I need to start my first sub-I. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with at least 2 weeks dedicated.

What I might do is schedule it for the very end of this time frame, then take UWSA1 about a month before. If I'm not scoring 250+ I'll reschedule CK to when I was originally planning for it, late October.

Any suggestions?

If you've been consistently using those resources then I would just take it honestly. Or maybe take an NBME/UWSA and see where you're at.

Been going through a similar thought process, especially because I finish with my medicine rotation, though the timing at my school isn't great: I only have ~9 days after medicine finishes before I need to start my first sub-I. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with at least 2 weeks dedicated.

What I might do is schedule it for the very end of this time frame, then take UWSA1 about a month before. If I'm not scoring 250+ I'll reschedule CK to when I was originally planning for it, late October.
I wish i could take it late october, that would have been ideal . I too have about 2 weeks in april to study and possibly take it, but the problem with that is I probably wont be able to get a spot on the last day of april, so it may just be 10 days. IM was my first rotation so I will be away from IM for soo long. The early focus on step is also problematic for me because it detracts from research i could be cranking out, since i need more research way more than I need a steller step 2 score.

I wish i could take it late october, that would have been ideal . I too have about 2 weeks in april to study and possibly take it, but the problem with that is I probably wont be able to get a spot on the last day of april, so it may just be 10 days. IM was my first rotation so I will be away from IM for soo long. The early focus on step is also problematic for me because it detracts from research i could be cranking out, since i need more research way more than I need a steller step 2 score.

Why can't you take in October?

Def feel you on this final research finish line, really trying to crank out a few more abstracts/presentations in these last 7 months.

Why can't you take in October?

Def feel you on this final research finish line, really trying to crank out a few more abstracts/presentations in these last 7 months.
Because my school mandates i take step 2 ck by sept 30 and cs by oct 30. Because of the underperformers that are at risk of failing the thing.

• Wow
Because my school mandates i take step 2 ck by sept 30 and cs by oct 30. Because of the underperformers that are at risk of failing the thing.

Oh damn that's super annoying.

Also silly even with that logic. They should definitely force you to take CS before CK given how much longer the grading period is.

I'm also waiting to get my result this wednesday and the permit still there.

Just scheduled this. With an easy psych rotation and june off, (besides a potential bachelor party - brutal timing), ill have about 7 weeks for this. Was planning on just hammering Uworld. Should I sprinkle in Online med ed? Just looking for a 240+. Not really sure what the so called "UFAPS" is for step 2.

Scheduled mine for July 24th. Gives me 4 weeks on uninterrupted time with 6 weeks of psych/2 week easy rotation to end 3rd year. Hoping that is enough time for 250+.

planning on restarting Uworld beginning of May and crushing through it, then using NBMEs and FA... any other advice?