**Official 2021 Dental Anesthesiology PASS/Interviews/Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did get an email from Jacobi saying the process is taking them a while.. I was excited because I thought it was an invite :smack:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Did get an email from Jacobi saying the process is taking them a while.. I was excited because I thought it was an invite :smack:

SAME HAHA. That email gave me hope though. Goodluck to us, I know we are awesome :)

Reactions: 1 user
SAME HAHA. That email gave me hope though. Goodluck to us, I know we are awesome :)

Same here! I got an email Tuesday night at like 8PM and I was super excited then I read the email. The waiting games will surely be over by next week!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they doing direct acceptances without match this year? Lol. I mean, what purpose could this delay have?

Are they doing direct acceptances without match this year? Lol. I mean, what purpose could this delay have?

I doubt that just because match is a legally binding contract for both parties. It’s probably a scheduling issue and just an overwhelming number of applications. I have a friend who’s applying to ortho that got an interview for next week but they had to cancel because of a time conflict so the interview is TBD. The fortunate thing about anesthesia is that they try to coordinate interviews so there’s no conflicting dates

Would be an interesting idea though. I'm not sure it's legally binding until you submit rankings.

Would be an interesting idea though. I'm not sure it's legally binding until you submit rankings.

Yup! It’s part of the polices of match. Programs can’t make any offers/commitments prior to the release of rankings

Once it’s all said and done; this will probably be the longest post and reply chain just because of the stress of it all!

I would rather just give me a denial letter in the mail like a job would instead of being ghosted from a program since it thus far only appears that people who got interviews get contacted.

I would rather just give me a denial letter in the mail like a job would instead of being ghosted from a program since it thus far only appears that people who got interviews get contacted.
Did only NYU and Ohio send invites?

1. Ohio (email 9/22) — interview 10/19 via Zoom.

2. Jacobi (email 9/27) — interview 10/26 or 10/27(AM or PM), information session 10/25, all virtual.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome!! goodluck you two :) I'm still waiting on some good news from the Gods

Interview at Jacobi!
Congrats to everyone else!! Hopefully more good news is coming soon :)

Congrats to all who got the interviews thus far! Here’s to another week of nail biting anxiety for the rest of us.

Did you send a physical 2x2 picture to the non OSU programs or which email did you use? Thanks!

I sent all my pictures and additional information digitally to the emails that were provided on PASS.

Received interview invites from NYU (phone call) and Jacobi (email). Super excited to finally get some correspondence from the programs!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if Jacobi and NYU sent their invites out all at once or if they are doing it in batches?

Reactions: 2 users
This waiting game is making me crazy

Was anyone able to extern pre-COVID at any of the programs who have been silent thus far?

Was anyone able to extern pre-COVID at any of the programs who have been silent thus far?
I wasn’t. I was only able to do the NYU “externship” in Arizona. I also shadowed a DA in Seattle for 2 days and one in Ohio for a week to get some experience under my belt.

I wasn’t. I was only able to do the NYU “externship” in Arizona. I also shadowed a DA in Seattle for 2 days and one in Ohio for a week to get some experience under my belt.
Nice, I’ve only done NYU. Maybe the lack of externships is what’s holding up the other programs? I hope there’s news soon

I was able to visit a couple of them and still haven’t heard so just an unfortunate waiting game! Apparently Stony Brook is supposed to be emailing invites today though according to the search engine.
Thanks for the update!

I got an official rejection from Jacobi on Monday and a call from NYU inviting me to interview today

I externed at both Chicago and Stony Brook! I also haven't heard from NYU, Jacobi or Ohio on any invites. Still crossing my fingers

I got an official rejection from Jacobi on Monday and a call from NYU inviting me to interview today
Congrats on the interview. At the same time, it’s nice that Jacobi let’s you know either way if you’re getting an interview or not.

As a future DA applicant, can any of you who received interview invites (NYU/Chicago) please give some information on class ranking/gpa and an estimate of what would make you a competent applicant? Thank you!

As a future DA applicant, can any of you who received interview invites (NYU/Chicago) please give some information on class ranking/gpa and an estimate of what would make you a competent applicant? Thank you!
With all personal details aside.... the program director of OSU said during a Zoom that a 3.5 and higher is competitive.. as for class rank obviously the higher the better, top 10% would be ideal, and my guess is it’s going to keep getting more competitive with DA being now recognized as a specialty. Definitely do an externship or two if you can! GL!

Hi. From a friend (I’m the messenger)

PDs are looking for the person who is the right fit for their program, coachable and a good human being who can be counted on to do the right thing when a patient is showing potential signs of distress. 3 years is a long time to put up with one another if the person isn’t a good fit or who has checked out mentally as they got into a program, and it was far more work/commitment than expected. Externships are KEY in this regard. Letters of Rec from your faculty and DAs help too.

Every specialty is competitive (ie ortho, endo, OMFS, DA, etc.) DA requires you to enter a medically based specialty,straight from dental school. So academics matter. It used to be that a 90 on the NBDE part 1 translated to good odds of passing Step1 in med school. Now that NBDE is pass fail, directors have less info. A fail on NBDE or a failure in dental
School classes will probably put the application into the trash bin, unless there is a compelling reason, esp when we molar bear said, many applicants are 3.5 and up and in the top of their classes. DAs need to be able to assimilate all the medical knowledge on their own, as much as and in some ways more than in an OMFS program. The CBSE is not required but some people take it to boost their application but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was required soon. Some candidates have to reapply following a GPR. Grades and numbers don’t define a person, but our knowledge base does inform our judgement in clinical scenarios.

Hi. From a friend (I’m the messenger)

PDs are looking for the person who is the right fit for their program, coachable and a good human being who can be counted on to do the right thing when a patient is showing potential signs of distress. 3 years is a long time to put up with one another if the person isn’t a good fit or who has checked out mentally as they got into a program, and it was far more work/commitment than expected. Externships are KEY in this regard. Letters of Rec from your faculty and DAs help too.

Every specialty is competitive (ie ortho, endo, OMFS, DA, etc.) DA requires you to enter a medically based specialty,straight from dental school. So academics matter. It used to be that a 90 on the NBDE part 1 translated to good odds of passing Step1 in med school. Now that NBDE is pass fail, directors have less info. A fail on NBDE or a failure in dental
School classes will probably put the application into the trash bin, unless there is a compelling reason, esp when we molar bear said, many applicants are 3.5 and up and in the top of their classes. DAs need to be able to assimilate all the medical knowledge on their own, as much as and in some ways more than in an OMFS program. The CBSE is not required but some people take it to boost their application but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was required soon. Some candidates have to reapply following a GPR. Grades and numbers don’t define a person, but our knowledge base does inform our judgement in clinical scenarios.

Do you know what they do in regards to applicants from pass/fail schools and schools that don’t have class ranks?

The feedback I’ve gotten from a PD and a few DAs is keep your grades up, and get as much exposure to anesthesia as you can (extern, shadow). The field is still small so if you display true interest and network appropriately then that will exponentially increase your chances at least getting an interview. As everyone else said, program directors want people who are teachable, understand what they’re getting into and will be good practitioners at the end of training.
I know a few people who were bottom of their class , failed boards or repeated a year but matched into OS, Perio and even Ortho on the first time. These people just had what the program was looking for and sometimes programs are willing to overlook blemishes in your application if you have other things working in your favor. One of my close friends was middle of the class, failed boards but has been working in a Ortho office for 7 years. She matched over the person who was number one in the class. Despite having what most people say is a big blemish, she did it. She was able to show that she is genuinely interested in Ortho and knew what she was getting herself into/giving up as an Orthodontist, her grades in our Ortho courses showed that she’s definitely teachable and she developed a good relationship with the chair of our Ortho department who happened to be her mentor’s mentor so that worked in her favor as well. I will add that she’s not at her mentor’s or her mentor’s mentor program either. The person who was top of the class didn’t even get any interviews. I also know people who were top of their class and received multiple interviews (like double digit interviews) but did not match.
The person who matched into Perio failed boards and was bottom of the class but was his program’s number one choice. He made a great impression when he externed, asked insight questions and really showed that he wants to learn
As applicants, the only thing we can truly do is give each program OUR best possible application. Don’t get discouraged if you’re not perfect on paper! Do your best and don’t give up!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
1. Ohio (email 9/22) — interview 10/19 via Zoom.

2. Jacobi (email 9/27) — interview 10/26 or 10/27(AM or PM), information session 10/25, all virtual.

3. Stony Brook (email 10/3) — interview 10/29 or 10/30, information session on 10/28, all virtual.

Also got an interview at Stony Brook!

Also got an interview for Stony Brook!!

1) Jacobi (email 9/27), interview 10/26 or 10/27, info session 10/25

2) Stony Brook (email 10/3), interview 10/29 or 10/30, info session on 10/28, all virtual. Must send a video on why dental anesthesia.

I hope they send out emails before rankings are due....... Lol

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Do you guys have any tips on ranking of programs in a few short weeks? I am pretty bummed out that I cannot visit programs for interviews due to COVID restrictions. I am not sure how to go about deciding which program I would fit best. Any ideas?

Do you guys have any tips on ranking of programs in a few short weeks? I am pretty bummed out that I cannot visit programs for interviews due to COVID restrictions. I am not sure how to go about deciding which program I would fit best. Any ideas?

Rank in the order that you would prefer to go. Don’t rank a program if you don’t want to go there. Breaking the match can get you barred from future applications. Residents have post-matched successfully in the past.