*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2016-2017 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys! quick question: I have to retake a course this fall but I want to submit my primary asap since I am taking my MCAT in August. Should I just submit my application now and update the schools on my new grade once I have received it?

I can't believe this one class messed up my gpa that much :/.

I had a similar issue but I'm retaking my problem class as a summer class. When I asked they said I could always update during the designated periods but once it's verified you can't 0 out the old credits, i.e. actually replace the grade. So basically you can add stuff but not change anything.

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys how long does it usually take to get verified? I'm still waiting on one of my transcripts to get sent in.

I feel like I'm totally screwed

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a similar issue but I'm retaking my problem class as a summer class. When I asked they said I could always update during the designated periods but once it's verified you can't 0 out the old credits, i.e. actually replace the grade. So basically you can add stuff but not change anything.
So I should probably submit it now and then they'll see improvement for my fall class.

how long is it taking to get secondaries usually from the time you were verified?

Should I be listing allopathic physicians on the AACOMAS influences section?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my AACOMAS primary app verified on 06/24 (I submitted 06/17). About how long has it been taking to get secondary apps from NOVA and LECOM? I already got some secondary apps form some other schools but was curious about these two.

I received LECOMs secondary 8 days after they received my info (june 15 i think DO schools starting recieving our apps).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Do you guys think it would be worth it to include a PADI open water diver cert in the continuing education section? I know it's hardly relevant and just a hobby, just wondering what the consensus on something like this was.

Also, do you guys think it's worth it to get a 3rd LOR from a science professor just to be able to apply to the schools that require 3(I believe it's just PCOM,PCOM-Ga, and NOVA). I think both the PCOM's require 2 science and an additional one from any teacher, while NOVA requires 2 sci 1 non sci and I can't get a non-sci so im not sure if theyd even be lenient on it if i included a 3rd science LOR.

The 3rd science letter id expect to not be anything incredible, I don't know the prof too well. But it was a well known rigorous course at my uni that i did well in, and he's a decently well known prof. All in all i dont know if it would add much to my app besides just meeting the requirements of a few schools.

Do you guys think it would be worth it to include a PADI open water diver cert in the continuing education section?

I think that is pretty cool and shows the non academic side of you. It may catch someone's eye. I'd definitely go for it.

Also, do you guys think it's worth it to get a 3rd LOR from a science professor just to be able to apply to the schools....

I'd say go for it. If you can get one, do it! I had an impossible time getting recommendations from my professors. If you get the opportunity, jump the hoop.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that is pretty cool and shows the non academic side of you. It may catch someone's eye. I'd definitely go for it.

I'd say go for it. If you can get one, do it! I had an impossible time getting recommendations from my professors. If you get the opportunity, jump the hoop.

Thank you very much, will do!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

On that note, I did have one question. Do you think there's any possible way a professor for an online course would write me a letter or if it would be acceptable. I just kind of figured no, but wanted opinions. Thanks!

I tried doing a search but couldn't quite find a satisfactory answer...

I know AACOMAS wants us to enter courses "EXACTLY" [their emphasis] as they appear on our transcripts. However, I have a question about grade conversion. Per their conversion table, a B+ is a 3.3. Yet, at my school, a B+ was a 3.5.

Is is better to enter B+ (as it says on my transcript), or AB (to get the CAS GPA of 3.5 which I received)?

Thanks

I tried doing a search but couldn't quite find a satisfactory answer...

I know AACOMAS wants us to enter courses "EXACTLY" [their emphasis] as they appear on our transcripts. However, I have a question about grade conversion. Per their conversion table, a B+ is a 3.3. Yet, at my school, a B+ was a 3.5.

Is is better to enter B+ (as it says on my transcript), or AB (to get the CAS GPA of 3.5 which I received)?

Thanks

You have to put what is on your transcript. You receiving a 3.5 at your university has no bearing on the GPA that will be calculated by AACOMAS. They only care about the letter grade

Quick question of my own, is it possible to submit for verification without my LORs? One of my letters is taking his sweet time... And I would like to submit so I can be verified and ready to go when my MCAT score comes out

Quick question of my own, is it possible to submit for verification without my LORs? One of my letters is taking his sweet time... And I would like to submit so I can be verified and ready to go when my MCAT score comes out

Yup you'll totally be fine! You can add LORs whenever, just be sure they have it done by the time you want to submit secondaries as that's when you'll actually need them. You can add LORs to AACOMAS whenever you want and I'm pretty sure schools will take them individually throughout the cycle as well if you wish to be more direct.

How do I designate if I want only 3 transcript entered by the AACOMAS transcript entry service? It only asks me if I want to use the service or not on AACOMAS

If our letters of recommendations are with interfolio, do we just have interfolio deliver them to AACOMAS? Do we need to create any entries?

EDIT: found out how to do it :rolleyes:

Hey guys how exactly do Letters of Rec through AACOMAS work? Like I have all of mine received on my AACOMAS app, so now do schools that use that system just see all the letters? I ask because some secondaries I've filled thus far dont even have a place to distinguish what letters they should be receiving and what letter writer goes with what criteria.

I feel like it's taking forever to get verified. I submitted 6/8, did the professional transcript entry bc I have a lot of transcripts and didn't want things messed up, confirmed them all on 6/14, and still verifying. And my DO still hasn't submitted a letter after 2 months and a few friendly reminders :/

URGENT QUESTION:
According to AACOMAS Instructions:
http://help.unicas.com:8888/aacomas...pplication-process/academic-update/index.html
http://help.unicas.com:8888/aacomas...process/submitting-the-application/index.html

I can add the following after I submit the application:
  1. ADD NEW but CANNOT EDIT or DELETE test scores, experiences, achievements and certifications.
Does that mean I can add an experience from like 2014 after I submit or does "adding NEW experiences" mean I can only add experiences from 2016 going forward ?

In essence, can I submit my application for verification and then add all my experiences, achievements etc (from 2010-present)... after I submit? I'm going to be out of town for a week and was wondering since I won't have computer access during that time.

Thanks guys!

Edit: I have Transcripts, Letters, and MCAT on file and those have been verified/received by AACOMAS

Once you submit, you can't edit or delete EC's, but you can add them and update the schools. As for LOR's, you can still add them. I submitted last week so I'm checking this as I'm typing it. LOR's aren't technically due until you submit II's from my understanding..

Verification does not begin until you submit your primary, from what ive heard its a real pain in the a**. Can take up to 4 weeks.

After submitting, you can only add new ECs, but not edit nor delete old ones.

No. You can add new experiences but cannot edit any that were submitted initially.

You can add new experiences. Anything that is added prior to verification cannot be accessed again.

URGENT QUESTION:
According to AACOMAS Instructions:
http://help.unicas.com:8888/aacomas...pplication-process/academic-update/index.html
http://help.unicas.com:8888/aacomas...process/submitting-the-application/index.html

I can add the following after I submit the application:
  1. ADD NEW but CANNOT EDIT or DELETE test scores, experiences, achievements and certifications.
Does that mean I can add an experience from like 2014 after I submit or does "adding NEW experiences" mean I can only add experiences from 2016 going forward ?

In essence, can I submit my application for verification and then add all my experiences, achievements etc (from 2010-present)... after I submit? I'm going to be out of town for a week and was wondering since I won't have computer access during that time.

Thanks guys!

Edit: I have Transcripts, Letters, and MCAT on file and those have been verified/received by AACOMAS

Hmmmm that's a tough one to answer. From just pure speculation I'd say you *could* do that. However if an adcom receives your application and then receives and update notification stating that you've added something and they go check to see that it's something from wayyyy before you hit submit I'd assume they'd be curious as to why you didn't give your primary application your all before you submitted it.

Edit: yes you can add any date at any time!

Best of luck!

Last edited:
how long is it taking people to get NOVA and Rowan secondaries?

quick question: my college will send a letter packet in a few weeks - in the meantime, can I get my app verified and get the ball rolling even though it hasn't received any evaluations?

When you get verified, there are a lot of GPA's calculated: for example you have the Biochemistry, English, Math, Behavioral Sciences (depending on the prereq for the specific school). My question was, I know schools care about ALL of your GPAs but when people comment on the cGPA and the sGPA they mean the cumulative Undergraduate/overall for the cGPA, the cumulative Undergraduate Science/overall science for sGPA and cumulative Undergraduate non-science/overall non-science for non-scienceGPA? Just a bit confused as to exactly what GPAs are "weighted" more in terms of your application. Can anyone clarify?

Hi guys, I can't find precalculus in the drop down in the subject tab, transcript entry section.
Do I just label precalc as mathematics?

When are you guys planning on submitting your applications? & anyone mind sharing their stats (mcat and cgpa). & Good luck everyone!

Can I count research in a lab about autoimmune diseases as a healthcare experience? I saw someone say to count it as extracurricular, but since it has to do with diseases it makes me think more healthcare experience than extracurricular

If I am putting my time as a writer for my school paper as an activity, should I use the description space to list my articles I wrote or just about my position? Because I'm not sure where else I would put my list of articles.

quick question: my college will send a letter packet in a few weeks - in the meantime, can I get my app verified and get the ball rolling even though it hasn't received any evaluations?

Yes. You can submit to a throw away school. Either a school you have no desire to attend or one that is a reach. It takes up to 4 weeks to verify. Then when the app is complete you can send almost instantly to the schools you desire.

Hi guys, I can't find precalculus in the drop down in the subject tab, transcript entry section.
Do I just label precalc as mathematics?

Yes. Or mathematics. AACOMAS will change it if needed.

If I am putting my time as a writer for my school paper as an activity, should I use the description space to list my articles I wrote or just about my position? Because I'm not sure where else I would put my list of articles.

I would briefly describe your duties and then list your most relevant or favorite articles.

When you get verified, there are a lot of GPA's calculated: for example you have the Biochemistry, English, Math, Behavioral Sciences (depending on the prereq for the specific school). My question was, I know schools care about ALL of your GPAs but when people comment on the cGPA and the sGPA they mean the cumulative Undergraduate/overall for the cGPA, the cumulative Undergraduate Science/overall science for sGPA and cumulative Undergraduate non-science/overall non-science for non-scienceGPA? Just a bit confused as to exactly what GPAs are "weighted" more in terms of your application. Can anyone clarify?

c and s GPAs are most important. It is best if there is not a huge descripancy between the two.

Can I count research in a lab about autoimmune diseases as a healthcare experience? I saw someone say to count it as extracurricular, but since it has to do with diseases it makes me think more healthcare experience than extracurricular

You could list this in an EC under health care experiences.

Hi everyone,
I am currently freaking out and hoping this error doesn’t cost me my whole application. My application was just verified, and when I was looking the pdf over, I realized that I had written “tbd” in the field where I’m supposed to explain any disciplinary actions taken against me (alcohol violations) meaning to go back and change it and had totally forgotten. I double checked my application before sending but SOMEHOW MISSED IT ARRRGHHHH. And now it looks like I can’t change that field. Am I screwed forever? :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Contact AACOMAS immediately.

Has anyone been able to see/print/save a pdf of last year's application? I can't figure out how to do it without completing the entire application for this year.

Im changing one english class im taking in the fall to another (and used this class as a english prereq on aacomas but im still fulfilling the prereq requirment but with a english different class) do I have to update aacomas or should I just report after the semester?

How many EC's and achievements is everyone listing? I want to put enough but not drown admissions with non-sense.