This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Took the exam yesterday:

It feels like for each section of 60 questions, about 30 questions are straight up gimme questions, stuff I felt that I actually knew just from wards and ICU by the middle of intern year? For another 15, it required some thought, but could still be figured out in under a minute. The remaining 15 included about 3-5 questions where I would never know the answer, and stuff that appeared to have 2 correct answers OR every choice was incorrect.

Overall, thought it was a good 50-50 mix of inpatient and outpatient. There was a LOT of gen med which always includes them psych and OB.

I did both UWorld and MKSAP x2, and I felt like 70% of the exam was MKSAP-like with short stems and basic fact checks/trivia, and 30% like UWorld with long stems and lab values and required some interpretation.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Took it about a week ago. That thing was TOUGH. I certainly felt there were some gimme's, but the length of many questions on my particular exam form was really long. Content-wise, there was a pretty decent mix of topics. I felt like Endocrinology and Rheumatology were over-represented. I can't overstate the importance of stamina for this exam. 60 questions is a lot of questions for a block; doing that 4 times really takes a lot of energy.

Overall, the degree of difficulty was more like MKSAP than UW. I had done both, plus Awesome Board Review (which was quite helpful). Just hoping for a pass. Good luck to all!

Reactions: 1 users
Took it about a week ago. That thing was TOUGH. I certainly felt there were some gimme's, but the length of many questions on my particular exam form was really long. Content-wise, there was a pretty decent mix of topics. I felt like Endocrinology and Rheumatology were over-represented. I can't overstate the importance of stamina for this exam. 60 questions is a lot of questions for a block; doing that 4 times really takes a lot of energy.

Overall, the degree of difficulty was more like MKSAP than UW. I had done both, plus Awesome Board Review (which was quite helpful). Just hoping for a pass. Good luck to all!
I have done both MKSAP and UW and I did Awesome Review as well. Taking it Monday. How should I utilize my time these last few days, in your opinion? Just hammer through the Awesome notes or do questions or both? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I have done both MKSAP and UW and I did Awesome Review as well. Taking it Monday. How should I utilize my time these last few days, in your opinion? Just hammer through the Awesome notes or do questions or both? Thanks
I'd personally take it easier on doing questions just so you can save your mental energy for the exam.

If I were you, I would go over the Awesome notes. Don't allow yourself to get bogged down in the details because it's really dense; just go over the main higher yield stuff and try to note the differences between similar conditions (serotonin syndrome vs neuroleptic malignant syndrome vs malignant hyperthermia, etc.). At this point, you probably know just about all you're going to know prior to the exam. Review those nit picky things that you tend to miss closer to the exam. Best of luck!

I'd personally take it easier on doing questions just so you can save your mental energy for the exam.

If I were you, I would go over the Awesome notes. Don't allow yourself to get bogged down in the details because it's really dense; just go over the main higher yield stuff and try to note the differences between similar conditions (serotonin syndrome vs neuroleptic malignant syndrome vs malignant hyperthermia, etc.). At this point, you probably know just about all you're going to know prior to the exam. Review those nit picky things that you tend to miss closer to the exam. Best of luck!
Great! Really appreciate the insight!

Someone tell me that the MKSAP Oncology questions are nothing like the real thing.
No, actual exam does not expect you to know the exact names of regimens which is overkill in MKSAP. But recognizing and knowing the next best step is enough.

Took the exam yesterday:

It feels like for each section of 60 questions, about 30 questions are straight up gimme questions, stuff I felt that I actually knew just from wards and ICU by the middle of intern year? For another 15, it required some thought, but could still be figured out in under a minute. The remaining 15 included about 3-5 questions where I would never know the answer, and stuff that appeared to have 2 correct answers OR every choice was incorrect.

Overall, thought it was a good 50-50 mix of inpatient and outpatient. There was a LOT of gen med which always includes them psych and OB.

I did both UWorld and MKSAP x2, and I felt like 70% of the exam was MKSAP-like with short stems and basic fact checks/trivia, and 30% like UWorld with long stems and lab values and required some interpretation.
So basically like the ITE? haha

I took it today. Basically the questions were one of 3 in my opinion: 1. Super straightforward (Over half of the test) 2. Could narrow down to 2 pretty easily but it was almost like there was not enough info to pick between the two 3. Way out of left field and nothing you would have known from UWorld or MKSAP.

Took it yesterday. What a ridiculous test. Not sure where I would have even studied a lot of the content they were asking. I feel like I was marking 25-28 per section that I felt like I got wrong. I could usually narrow it down to 2 but then it was up in the air. I feel like I did absolutely terrible.

Any one have any idea how many questions you have to get right to pass?

Took it yesterday. What a ridiculous test. Not sure where I would have even studied a lot of the content they were asking. I feel like I was marking 25-28 per section that I felt like I got wrong. I could usually narrow it down to 2 but then it was up in the air. I feel like I did absolutely terrible.

Any one have any idea how many questions you have to get right to pass?
"In order to get an ABIM passing score, you need to score at least a 366, which is 64% of questions correct on the ABIM exam. "

It was for sure not an easy test! I took it yesterday!

So far, I was able to remember 100 questions and out that 15 were wrong!

Is it true that October /12 is the release day?

I took it yesterday, I didn't think it was that bad. About 35 each section that were straight forward, 15-20 that you could narrow it down to 2 answers, but had to use other info (usually was a 1 thing) that was either present or not present in the question stem to differentiate between the two and make the right choice, and then 5 or so that was just out of left field and had to just make an educated guess. Overall not as difficult as I thought it would be. I did UWorld first (65%) and then about 2/3rds of MKSAP after (70%). For those reading this for next year, I think this is by far the best way to study for this exam, as UWorld is good at overviewing the basic concepts for everything, and then MKSAP is much more detailed with its questions to help solidify everything and reinforce those small details for everything, although the exam doesn't go into nearly as much detail as MKSAP. Wishing everyone luck come October!

I took it yesterday, I didn't think it was that bad. About 35 each section that were straight forward, 15-20 that you could narrow it down to 2 answers, but had to use other info (usually was a 1 thing) that was either present or not present in the question stem to differentiate between the two and make the right choice, and then 5 or so that was just out of left field and had to just make an educated guess. Overall not as difficult as I thought it would be. I did UWorld first (65%) and then about 2/3rds of MKSAP after (70%). For those reading this for next year, I think this is by far the best way to study for this exam, as UWorld is good at overviewing the basic concepts for everything, and then MKSAP is much more detailed with its questions to help solidify everything and reinforce those small details for everything, although the exam doesn't go into nearly as much detail as MKSAP. Wishing everyone luck come October!
Yep, this sounds exactly like what I mentioned earlier. We had a very similar experience. I was 62% Uworld and 65% MKSAP but also did Awesome Review after which I think helped a good bit.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
Looking for ABIM Aug 2023 exam study partner.

When do you guys think the scores will release?
There's a post earlier on this thread that mentions the dates scores were released each year in the last 5+ years or so. I think on average it was like mid-October ish, but would definitely go back and confirm.

Just took the MOC 10 year exam, my third one.
I didn't study for the first two, but my score did drop enough the second time that I thought best to prepare.
I feel pretty confident I passed, who knows what the score will be.
Thought I'd share my experience with questions banks, a popular question here.
Overall, I'd say if you have an average knowledge base going into board prep, I'd spend at least six months studying approx 30-60 minutes daily.
It depends what type of learner you are, but I love question banks as a way to test practical situations like seen with face to face patient encounters. With in person lectures, my attention span plummets after 40 minutes, so mega review classes (passive learning) aren't for me. Also with question banks, you are training yourself how to approach questions on the real exam. You get into a mindset.
The key with question banks is to read the full explanation even with questions you got right. Understand more of the right answer in depth along with ALL the wrong answers. Find something about it that interests you and look it up in UpToDate.
Use AnkiDroid/Anki to make any necessary flash cards as you go along with the questions. They don't expire like flash cards in the question banks, can be combined with other learning materials, and are highly customized since you make them. Take turns going through the question bank by organ system/discipline, and then batch set of flash cards from prior material. I wound up with 1063 flash cards over a one year time frame, and could go through a batch of one specialty flash cards (50-150 cards) fairly quickly after a while.
So, this is a fairly active process. With this approach, one is not simply going through the question banks, reviewing the answer and moving on. It is much more involved than that. Some nights after work I might only get through 10-15 questions, then review a batch of previously created flash cards.

I went through two different question banks fully, NEJM starting 1.5 years ago, and UWorld starting 8 months ago, once. I did a little of MedStudy. I also found an EKG question bank on the googleplay store (can't recall the name) that had probably 100 EKGs, highly detailed with great explanations. The EKGs I spent reviewing over several nights a couple weeks before the exam. I breezed through Board Basics a little bit, probably 60% of the book. I didn't bother with MKSAP questions based on average reviews here and the available alternatives mentioned above.

Every question you get wrong studying, is one you'll get right on the real exam. So focus where you are scoring the worst. That's your highest yield even if it doesn't feel good at the time.

NEJM knowledge plus
Well written questions of moderate to high complexity
Good explanation of right and wrong answers
Nice that it recycles your incorrect answers until you get it right. (But this memory did not persist - hence Flashcards!)
Has two high quality practice exams.
You can reshuffle your questions to review again, but not by organ system.
You can't reset the question bank in order to focus on areas you have the least knowledge.
CME/MOC included

UWorld
Well written questions of moderate to high complexity
Good explanation of right and wrong answers
Some answers have wonderful algorithms, flow diagrams, tables. These are amazing.
For some reason despite the complexity of questions, I felt they had a bit more real world value to my practice for infrequent but expected scenarios. I liked that.
You can review all your questions, albeit answers marked, by organ system.
You can reset the question bank once. Since there are no separate practice exams, this provides an opportunity for practice exams or reviewing all the material once more.
The visual format is the same as the exam. I felt comfortable with it on exam day.
No CME/MOC

Medstudy
Significant number of questions seemed poorly written or with silly scenarios in order to get you to the question at hand.
Some questions seemed overly simple, some oddly complex.
Still had learning value though.
Answers less detailed
I stopped using it. Maybe you'll like it more than I did. That is when I reset my UWorld bank to review some of my worst performance areas.

Looking back, I'd just use UWorld and Board Basics. Start a minimum of 6 months out (I recommend 8-12 months).
The key is how you use them. Don't just consume the questions, make studying an active process.
Key ways to use the materials
Make flash cards (AnkiDroid) and review them often. It gets faster as you retain more.
EKG test bank for free in App stores
Read all answers for every question in the question bank, even if you get it right
Explore topics of interest in UpToDate to expand and solidify your knowledge. Also take note of UpToDate's differential diagnosis section.
Alternate flash cards with question banks to improve your attention span.
Repetition with the flash cards to ensure you remember the answers come exam time.
Focus on your worst areas, but rationally balanced by their percent representation on the ABIM topic breakdown.
Take practice exams to learn how to time yourself.
Consider adding NEJM if your base knowledge is poor as noted by your UWorld score ( <55-60%???)
Consider going deeper into Board basics if your knowledge base could be better.

Good luck!

Last edited:
When are these freaking scores coming out?!!??! Anyone know of any tricks to indicate you passed?

Does seeing a draft of the certification letter mean anything?

Results seem to be available! Both the certification tool and my ABIM show pass, no PDF available results to be mailed

Is it really gonna be mailed? Seems so inefficient. Just upload it

Good luck y’all. It’s been a long ride

And… now the email. Passed! Been a long time lurker but wanted to let everyone know to check their scores! Thanks everyone for all the advice and stuff over the last 2 years it’s been very helpful.

The ABIM site isn't loading for me :( Might be down?
Does anyone know if the email will say whether we passed or failed?

Update: the ABIM server is still down for me... But I was able to verify my certification status via the ABIM Physician Verification function.
Here is the link Verify Physician Status | ABIM.org

Last edited:
If you see a MOC section with an activity button that you can click, it likely means you passed!

Reactions: 2 users
I’m also seeing a date of MOC expiration of 12/31/2032 or something like that….so I think I’ll take that as a pass!

Nothing showed on the assessments part for me, but going to my profile I could “print my certification” and that unequivocally gives the result (pass thankfully - lurked on here for reassurance and mksap v uworld questions many a time).

I went under the physician certification section on the ABIM home page and it shows this, I assume it means pass??? I can't get anything else to load.

Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 8.17.22 AM.png

I went under the physician certification section on the ABIM home page and it shows this, I assume it means pass??? I can't get anything else to load.

View attachment 360491

I got the same thing. There's a section before viewing the 'certification letter' that also says 'Internal medicine, certified' or something to that extent. Also, can't get the actual score report to load like a few others.

Do people have different sections on their website or something? I don't see 'physician certification', 'print my certification', or MOC section; just participating in MOC text in main profile page with 'view certification letter' and the digital badge option

Do people have different sections on their website or something? I don't see 'physician certification', 'print my certification', or MOC section; just participating in MOC text in main profile page with 'view certification letter' and the digital badge option
Try searching verify abim credentials or such and put in your ABIM number and it should come up

Just kinda wanna cry. If my certification letter says "Not Certified" does that mean that I failed? I cannot find my score anywhere, everything is the spinning wheel of death, I am not generally prone to panic but I feel like I'm loosing my mind.

The weird thing is that when I go to My Assessments (pic below) it looks like I passed?

What is going on?
SAME! my certification letter also says not certified but I have the same exact picture as yours under assessments. I wish the would just release the score report now cause that would answer a lot of this confusion.