This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone tried the ACP internal medicine board review? I see the course being offered in person and online in may and July in chicago and I’m wondering if it’s worth it?!?!
Garbage

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I have been told that Awesome Board Review is really good. For those who have taken the course can you please give your opinions on it? Is it worth taking the course consecutive years if you really need help with studying?

I have been told that Awesome Board Review is really good. For those who have taken the course can you please give your opinions on it? Is it worth taking the course consecutive years if you really need help with studying?
I think Awesome Review is way too over-hyped. I took the course because my program paid for it. This program is by NO MEANS a substitution for self studying. He goes way too fast, goes off on tangents ( yes he's trying to tie the concepts together but it is SO distracting) . You end up just jotting notes down on his booklet and barely have time to digest the material ( you'll end up just wasting most of your time just writing down /filling in the blanks of his book , he might as well just fill it out for you so you can self study). Then you take the next few months reviewing the material. Don't torture yourself by going live....do live stream. BUT, this is what it is, a REVIEW course. You should take this course only after you have a good grasp on the topics/understanding. Is it helpful? Any review course is. My conclusion is that it is NOT necessary for you to pass your boards. Use that time to do qbanks qbanks qbanks/board review basics. Think of it as a supplement, not a replacement for self studying ( which I think many mistakes people make for failing re-cert , failing ABIM)..

One thing he said during the lecture that really made me upset was he gave an example of someone who failed the ABIM. His advice to the person? Go to his course multiple times and he/she unfortunately went to 5-6 of his courses. Really...... ? Instead of telling her how to study he made her do what? I felt so bad of how much $ she lost....but hes laughing all the way to the bank ( and oh my god his anti-piracy rules for live stream, on his books are so over the top..)

and lastly, NO it is not worth going more than once. Everything is in the book he hands out to you/write during the lectures.
Did I mention the painful schedule? 7am-7:30pm DAILY.

Just my opinion

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
it's BS.... and perhaps unethical.. they have memory questions from actual past exams...

also IM boards are a joke... hardly anyone fails them... don't waste money on this unless your program is paying and even then time should be better spent.

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a study partner/ group to go over UWORLD questions and review buzz facts/topics for ABIM. Taking the exam this year in August so am in cram mode! Please email me or skype me at [email protected].

I have received a lot of feedback regarding the UWORLD and ACP MKSAP, that essentially if you do well on those that the test shouldn't be hard.
Opinions?

I have received a lot of feedback regarding the UWORLD and ACP MKSAP, that essentially if you do well on those that the test shouldn't be hard.
Opinions?
I think that a person who is a good test taker at baseline (as most, but not all of us are by the time we get to ABIM) and is a person who can learn well from QBanks and compressed info like UW and MKSAP texts, then yes, doing well on those should be good enough. Same is likely true for most of the other tools/QBanks/Courses discussed here.

Opinions?

It was a little creepy how on point UWorld was. Some questions on my test were almost verbatim from UWorld. (something shady going on there? I dunno). But UW was well worth it.

[and please get rid of your progress in your signature. I can't stand that on SDN. We get it, you're a doctor. The only thing that needs tracking now is your golf handicap and a whiskey habit.]

It was a little creepy how on point UWorld was. Some questions on my test were almost verbatim from UWorld. (something shady going on there? I dunno). But UW was well worth it.
I only used MKSAP, but would say the same about it. Which just supports what I've said in response to this question for the last decade...pick one, use it, succeed.
[and please get rid of your progress in your signature. I can't stand that on SDN. We get it, you're a doctor. The only thing that needs tracking now is your golf handicap and a whiskey habit.]
It's kind of a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
On the MOC exam I don't recall "seeing" UWORLD questions. The day all goes by quite quickly because you are in 100% test taking mode.
I saw topics that I studied while going through UWORLD questions, which is expected since the ABIM blueprint is public knowledge. That means going through all the right and wrong answers, maybe reading some in UpToDate to explore more, then writing some flashcards for retention. The UWORLD question brings up a specific question for a topic, you need to learn more about the topic to catch the (different) focused question on the exam. I also saw topics that I studied in the normal course of using UpToDate with my patients at the point of care.
Of course some questions are always going to be like, "Huh?!?".
I think with UWORLD prep (active learning, not just breezing by the questions) and retaining that knowledge with my custom flash cards (ankidroid), I felt very well prepared. I also did a few night's worth of a free EKG question bank that was awesome.
That said, not sure anyone feels good walking out of these tests even if they pass. I haven't yet.

Last edited:
That said, not sure anyone feels good walking out of these tests even if they pass. I haven't yet.
I have never failed a test in my life. My actual performance on almost every exam I've taken since about my junior year of undergrad has been significantly better than my perceived performance at the time of taking the test. And yet, every time I walk out of one of these testing centers, or click "submit" on the online versions, I feel as if I've just resigned from my job and start making plans for a career outside of medicine.

Hey hows everyone prep going? Anyone taking their exam next week by any chance?

Hello everyone! I’m looking for a serious study partner to help us review all subjects quickly and effectively using resources such as UWorld, Anki, or MKSAP.If you’re interested in studying together and helping each other out, please let me know. Let’s ace those exams together! 😊” my skype ID is shahedfaruk , [email protected]. OR GMAIL . Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
The frustrating thing is there is no way to gauge where you are for sure

Uworld assessment was right on target for step 2 and 3 but here nothing. I know I did fine on inservice but man it's still stressful

I finished my first pass Uworld right in the middle, median percentile. Reset it, was going to do rapid fire. Have done some board basics.
Test on Tuesday. Should I spend my time doing Uworld or board basics in the mean time?

Did one pass through UWorld...70%, just took ABIM today.
Result....TBD.
Good luck to everyone studying!

I finished my first pass Uworld right in the middle, median percentile. Reset it, was going to do rapid fire. Have done some board basics.
Test on Tuesday. Should I spend my time doing Uworld or board basics in the mean time?
You'll likely not gain any extra points studying in your last week before the exam. That is my personal experience with all my certification exams including the initial ABIM certification and two subsequent MOC exams. My last MOC exam was just last Fall.
Lightly run through some personal flash cards if already made, an EKG question bank (free android app), or UWORLD questions if it makes you feel better, but it's time to back off studying.

Your test taking performance will improve if you feel your best. Rest, sleep, eat, exercise, and stay emotionally healthy. These are the most important things to do now.

historically, what date are the results announced?
2022: Tuesday, October 11 @ 0654 Central Time (followed by website crash for several hours)
2021: Monday, October 11 @ 1149 Eastern Time (followed shortly by website crash for a couple of hours)
2020: Wednesday, October 14 @ 0646 am
2019: Monday, September 30 @ 0943am
2018: Thursday, October 18 @ 735pm
2017: Monday, October 23 @ 1014am (results rolled out over about 4 days with no rhyme nor reason to the order)
2016: Saturday, October 15 @951 pm (snafu on the website as results rolled in over the next 12 hours or so)
2015: Thursday, October 8 @ 817AM
2014: Monday, October 6 @ 1059AM
2013: Monday, October 7 @ 323 AM (seriously)
2012: Thursday, October 4 @ 814 AM
2011: Wednesday, November 2 @ 1033 AM
Unable to find 2010, but it was prior to November

Reactions: 2 users
How did you feel the exam was compared to Uworld??

I just took mine. I wold say 10-20% of the exam had some similarity to UW q's in that the stem led you into something pretty obvious then there were answers provided that were "right" but not completely right if you didn't have a deeper understanding of the disease or its treatment.

Looking back. MKSAP would have been enough. But the Onc questions on MKSAP bank are way over the top for what is expected on this exam.

2022: Tuesday, October 11 @ 0654 Central Time (followed by website crash for several hours)
2021: Monday, October 11 @ 1149 Eastern Time (followed shortly by website crash for a couple of hours)
2020: Wednesday, October 14 @ 0646 am
2019: Monday, September 30 @ 0943am
2018: Thursday, October 18 @ 735pm
2017: Monday, October 23 @ 1014am (results rolled out over about 4 days with no rhyme nor reason to the order)
2016: Saturday, October 15 @951 pm (snafu on the website as results rolled in over the next 12 hours or so)
2015: Thursday, October 8 @ 817AM
2014: Monday, October 6 @ 1059AM
2013: Monday, October 7 @ 323 AM (seriously)
2012: Thursday, October 4 @ 814 AM
2011: Wednesday, November 2 @ 1033 AM
Unable to find 2010, but it was prior to November
Prob a dumb question but the test dates are usually just august right?

I legit have no idea how well I did on that thing.
Pretty sure I've said this already in this thread, but that was literally the first exam I've ever left in 30+ years of test taking where I wasn't sure I'd passed.

FWIW, I passed without difficulty.

Just a question, if we skip the tutorial, will it be added to our break time?

How did you feel the exam was compared to Uworld??
I thought the difficulty was comparable to UWorld, though the way questions were written felt different (can't really explain it much better than that). For me, maybe ~65% straight forward, 25% narrowing between 2, 10% no clue what concept they were even looking to test.

I thought the difficulty was comparable to UWorld, though the way questions were written felt different (can't really explain it much better than that). For me, maybe ~65% straight forward, 25% narrowing between 2, 10% no clue what concept they were even looking to test.
Normal experience then

Anyone else checking ABIM website like 100 times a week even though last year and the year before results were second week of October

Anyone else checking ABIM website like 100 times a week even though last year and the year before results were second week of October
🙋‍♀️ me.... logging in everyday even though I know its not time yet... cant help it bc I am dreading it

Yeah I don't know why I keep thinking it will be released sooner than it was the years before. I just want this over with

Passed :)

Feel lighter than air

If anyone reading has questions I'm available.

I do have one... When they make the passing percentages per program, do the people who don't take it get counted as a failure?

Passed....out of residency for five years....(personal reasons). Needed to take my CCM boards so had to get this out of the way. Used U world - went through abt 77% of it; tried awesome review but went through maybe 50 percent of his notes. I live streamed but I just couldn't wade through all that...focused mostly on stuff I don't see day to day...out-patient mostly.

U world correct - 67%
Actual score - 439

Good luck!

Passed on my 3rd attempt!!!! Will be happy to answer anyone’s questions, have always been a bad test taker but had never failed until the abim. This exam is a monster and u will need to study hard af especially if you are a bad test taker. Scored a 450 this time after I had gotten 340 last year. Uworld uworld uworld uworld and uworld. Anyone struggling dm me will be happy to help.

Reactions: 6 users
PASSED ALSO THIRD ATTEMPT!!! I am also like @EaglesAllDay- not a great standardized test taker- 220 on STEP1 and below avg Step2 and 3- but never failed any exams before- but then failed x2 ABIM and now finally passed. I'd say not a huge difference in prep between attempts 2 and 3 but I cant stress enough UWORLD UWORLD UWORLD and Board basics- I started with MKSAP19 and reviewed medstudy videos and then tackled Uworld x1 and went over incorrects x1- reviewed BB in the last 1 week before the exam- walked out of it thinking for sure theres a chance I failed this- was guessing a lot and also marked ~20 questions per block. Was ready for prepare for a 4th attempt. Congratulations to everyone who passed!!! I'm here to support anyone who is going through what I went through though because if death was what this felt like- thats how I felt failing this damn exam twice.

Reactions: 7 users
Passed!! Second attempt. More than happy to help anyone if they message me and give my thoughts! I was going through some intense personal issues this last year so a bit worried how it would go. I did MKSAP, UWORLD, and Awesome Review twice. I took time off and really tried to dig deep into the topics, watching videos to really understand the pathophys behind certain topics so I could understand why Waldenostrom Macroglobulinemia worked the way it did besides just memorizing the details. The key for me was to have dedicated time off and be able to really understand the key points behind things. I read a lot on SDN and am more than happy talk to anyone that did not pass this time and would like details. If I can do it, you can too!!!

Reactions: 7 users
I also passed, quite comfortably in fact. I'll also say that I thought mksap was perfectly fine for board prep. The test actually felt pretty close to it for the most part. N = 1 and all that jazz of course.

Passed. Had a hard time really preparing for boards as I started fellowship PGY-3 so had to find time to study during a pretty busy year and ended up on my busiest rotation the month of the exam. Rushed through the first block because I assumed I only had a minute for each question. I did MKSAP and UWorld with average 60-70% correct. Scored above average.

Last edited:
Failed on my second attempt. Score is essentially the same as my first time (350s)

First time - did UWorld once and was scoring around the median. Didn’t study ID/rheum and failed by 16 points. Didn’t get much sleep before the test (355)

Second time - did MKSAP - 65% first pass, made flashcards on important topics, covered ID and rheum in depth, got a good night’s sleep. No anxiety during the test. (351)

Not sure what I am doing wrong or where I went wrong in life.

Feeling terrible.

Can’t call myself a physician until I pass this exam.

Ready to give up on clinical medicine

Just some advice ive been giving out in my messages after being contacted by several members of the forum. Remember at the end of the day these standardized tests in no way shape or form have the availability to tell you what kind of doctor you are. I feel like MKSAP is bare bones for this exam, its good for those who are already good test takers imo but not for those who have struggled/not good test takers. Honestly speaking I rode UWORLD into the ground this time. First time I failed by 10 points doing world but up until 2 weeks before my day I stopped doing questions and only looked at those uworld charts I took pictures of. Think that was a big mistake it made me stop from thinking critically. My second attempt I thought mksap was the missing key but I was dead wrong, failed by 30 points last year!! So don't get disheartened you can do it, I went from a 349 to 451. Keep on hammering UWORLD.

Failed on my second attempt. Score is essentially the same as my first time (350s)

First time - did UWorld once and was scoring around the median. Didn’t study ID/rheum and failed by 16 points. Didn’t get much sleep before the test (355)

Second time - did MKSAP - 65% first pass, made flashcards on important topics, covered ID and rheum in depth, got a good night’s sleep. No anxiety during the test. (351)

Not sure what I am doing wrong or where I went wrong in life.

Feeling terrible.

Can’t call myself a physician until I pass this exam.

Ready to give up on clinical medicine
Are you able to PM me? I was not able to message you

Forgot to come back to post.
Passed my 10 year recertification exam in 2021.
Will retake in 2031.

Just some advice ive been giving out in my messages after being contacted by several members of the forum. Remember at the end of the day these standardized tests in no way shape or form have the availability to tell you what kind of doctor you are. I feel like MKSAP is bare bones for this exam, its good for those who are already good test takers imo but not for those who have struggled/not good test takers. Honestly speaking I rode UWORLD into the ground this time. First time I failed by 10 points doing world but up until 2 weeks before my day I stopped doing questions and only looked at those uworld charts I took pictures of. Think that was a big mistake it made me stop from thinking critically. My second attempt I thought mksap was the missing key but I was dead wrong, failed by 30 points last year!! So don't get disheartened you can do it, I went from a 349 to 451. Keep on hammering UWORLD.
I studied part time for the whole year, but took 2 weeks off before exam date. I read Awesome Reviews (9 years old book) repeatedly, about 10 times (scanned, read and skipped if I already rememeber). Passed recertificastion with good score.

Wanted to share my experience since I've been monitoring this group since intern in residency...Recently finished my residency and just decided to take the exam because I did not want to deal with studying for it again. I started preparing maybe April-May. All of PGY-2 I read MKSAP and covered roughly 80%. I never liked MKSAP for some reason, I felt like it was too basic and mostly to learn the basic, not necessarily helping you with the exam. Bought 6 month subscription for UWORLD. Best investment ever. I also bought the notes for MedStudy but I never actually read them, wasted money. Around May I started UWORLD on tutor mode by system. Every day did 20, sometimes 40 questions. I was done with 1st pass by end of June. Reset it and did exam mode random every day 40 qs (I knew the exam was 60qs each block but i decided 40 was fine). READ ALL THE EXPLANATON CAREFULLY, TOOK PICS OF ALL THE GRAPHS AND TABLES...I also watched medstudy videos maybe 10 days prior to the exam. I thought the exam mirrored UWORLD!!!!! I passed all of my steps on the first try but always below average....with this one, I somehow scored little above. UWORLD, UWROLD, UWORLD...did I say WOURLD?????? Good luck to everyone!!!

Reactions: 2 users