Official AMCAS LOE Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait...so just to clarify...once AMCAS has received my letters they will send them to the designated schools automatically? I don't have to push a button or anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Wait...so just to clarify...once AMCAS has received my letters they will send them to the designated schools automatically? I don't have to push a button or anything?

Bump bump bump! I have the SAME exact question! Thanks to anyone who can answer. :D

Bump bump bump! I have the SAME exact question! Thanks to anyone who can answer. :D

I designated my LORs to BU, hit the submit button (on AMCAS), and a few days later BU notified me that they had received them. I haven't heard back from the 2 other schools I'm applying to doing the AMCAS LOR service. But I think you're fine if you just hit the submit button after you designate your letters (after they are marked as received by AMCAS).

Members don't see this ad :)

As long as you have designated the schools to receive them on AMCAS, then yes, they will be sent automatically.

I designated my LORs to BU, hit the submit button (on AMCAS), and a few days later BU notified me that they had received them. I haven't heard back from the 2 other schools I'm applying to doing the AMCAS LOR service. But I think you're fine if you just hit the submit button after you designate your letters (after they are marked as received by AMCAS).

THANK YOU for the quick reply! That just saved me the hour that I would have spent on the phone calling AMCAS. Props.

THANK YOU for the quick reply! That just saved me the hour that I would have spent on the phone calling AMCAS. Props.

Just to add to the previous post, your letters are only sent if your AMCAS application is processed and you've designated that medical school to receive the letters.

amcas got 4/5 of my letters today. the only one missing is my committee letter which im not sending to all my schools. will they wait til they have all my letters to send them?

amcas got 4/5 of my letters today. the only one missing is my committee letter which im not sending to all my schools. will they wait til they have all my letters to send them?

No they'll send them out before they have all of your letters (I had one school that required 2 graduate letters, and I had to wait on that second letter until today, but I was marked complete by other AMCAS LOE schools before today) Thought I should let people know who are waiting I had a letter marked received today that was sent by interfolio on 8/27.

Am I suppose to resubmit my application if I want to add another school to receive my LOR packet?? will resubmitting affect my other schools??

I'm kind of lacking in terms of LOEs it seems...

I have one non-science, one from a DO that I volunteered for/shadowed, and one from my PI in research.

Would the PI be able to double as a science prof (simply to fulfill part of the "standard" 2 science profs deal) even if I didn't take any classes with her?

Also, would having an LOE from a DO rather than an MD hurt my chances?

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

So does the letter writer have to include my amcas ID on the recommendation itself? AMCAS implied that via e-mail... so now i have to get my letter writers to resubmit their letters with a few numbers added to them. great.

So does the letter writer have to include my amcas ID on the recommendation itself? AMCAS implied that via e-mail... so now i have to get my letter writers to resubmit their letters with a few numbers added to them. great.

of course not. That's the whole purpose of a matching form.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are due with the secondaries. You don't have to turn them in until you turn in your secondary, and even then you can turn your secondaries in before your LORs. For most schools that's some time in the early winter, but it's advisable to get them in much (MUCH) earlier than that.

really?

Hey, if the GSI strictly wrote my letter, but only the supervising professor strictly signed it... how do i set up my LOE on AMCAS? should i have primary author as the GSI or the professor?

Just to add to the previous post, your letters are only sent if your AMCAS application is processed and you've designated that medical school to receive the letters.

Wait, so my letters won't be sent by AMCAS until my AMCAS is verified? So I need to wait for verification, then send letters via AMCAS, and only THEN will they read my secondaries?!

Is anyone else having problems with the letter uploading business? 3 of my letter writers are telling me that AMCAS supports like, Internet Explorer 5,6, or 7, but Internet Explorer is already up to version 8. I think the firefox they support version is an old browser as well. Are you guys just tell them to send them by mail?

Warning on snail mailing your letters to AMCAS:

My college is in need of a technological upgrade and still sends its LORs by snail mail. My LORs were mailed just over two weeks ago and I've heard no response from AMCAS. After calling, they said that via ground mail it may take upto 15 business days after receiving of the letters to mark as received and add to my file.

Three weeks! Be sure to plan that in your time line if you plan to use ground mail for LORs.

Warning on snail mailing your letters to AMCAS:

My college is in need of a technological upgrade and still sends its LORs by snail mail. My LORs were mailed just over two weeks ago and I've heard no response from AMCAS. After calling, they said that via ground mail it may take upto 15 business days after receiving of the letters to mark as received and add to my file.

Three weeks! Be sure to plan that in your time line if you plan to use ground mail for LORs.

Ahhhhh ****...Well my day is officially ruined.

I'm pretty confused even after reading this thread... so my Premed Committee uploaded my letter packet today on Virtual Evals to be sent to AMCAS, with my AMCAS ID and everything.

Later on today I got an email from AMCAS saying my letters of rec have not been received. Does it take a while from being uploaded onto Virtual Evals for AMCAS to enter it into my application?? Anyone know how long it takes or should I call?

I added some letters of evaluation into my AMCAS primary app yesterday and printed the letter request forms with the Letter ID#s. Today, however, I checked my app and it says I haven't added any letters of evaluation. Does anyone know what happened?

Thx

I know it was mentioned before that letters of recommendations are not due until you turn in the secondaries. Is this true for all schools? Any exceptions? Thanks!