*~*~*~* Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2023-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I took several courses at Dallas Community College which has 7 campuses. Each campus has its own name and is like its own independent college. The classes I took were at 6 of the campuses and I can enter them individually. All the courses show up on 1 transcript for Dallas College but the AMCAS application asks for a transcript from each school. How does the 1 transcript get applied for all campuses?

Members don't see this ad.

I took several courses at Dallas Community College which has 7 campuses. Each campus has its own name and is like its own independent college. The classes I took were at 6 of the campuses and I can enter them individually. All the courses show up on 1 transcript for Dallas College but the AMCAS application asks for a transcript from each school. How does the 1 transcript get applied for all campuses?
It would be best to call the AAMC to make sure. According to an old thread for TMDSAS, you can get transcripts individually from each school and that likely is what you will need to do:

Last edited:
Hi! I have a question about AMCAS letters of recommendation. If the service receives it, can I assign it to other medical schools later? As in, if I have Interfolio send them all to AMCAS now but I don’t know which school I want to get what yet can I do that? Or do I need to assign to medical schools first? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I have a question about AMCAS letters of recommendation. If the service receives it, can I assign it to other medical schools later? As in, if I have Interfolio send them all to AMCAS now but I don’t know which school I want to get what yet can I do that? Or do I need to assign to medical schools first? Thank you!
Yes, when you send it from Interfolio to AMCAS, it will remain there and can be assigned at any time to schools on the AMCAS site.

You can think of it as having all the letters sent by Interfolio to AMCAS as being available for you to use as you need.

If you decide to add more AMCAS schools later, you will:
1. Look at each new school's requirements - what types of letters do they ask for? What is their minimum and maximum number allowed?
2. From your "menu" of available letters, assign the appropriate ones to your new school.
3. Repeat for each new school added.
4. After adding new schools, you must recertify and resubmit your AMCAS application.
page 60
Adding Schools After Submitting Your Application
You can send your application to additional medical schools if their application deadlines have not passed. To designate additional schools after you have submitted your application, return to the Medical Schools section of the application, select the additional schools you wish to designate, then return to the Main Menu to recertify and officially update your application by selecting the Resubmit Application button. You must recertify and officially update your application with the newly designated schools in accordance with those schools’ stated deadlines. Deadlines may differ for different program types. There is a fee for applying to additional medical schools.

Greeting,
I found a typo in the course number after submitting the packet. Is it possible to correct it? I am so concerned because the FAQ reads the course number cannot be changed/corrected. Thanks.

Greeting,
I found a typo in the course number after submitting the packet. Is it possible to correct it? I am so concerned because the FAQ reads the course number cannot be changed/corrected. Thanks.
When AMCAS verifies your application against your transcript, they will probably fix that for you

Is there nowhere on the AMCAS application where I can indicate nontrad? Just moving on to AMCAS from TMDSAS and realizing there's no way to indicate nontrad. Also the only essay is the personal statement right?

Is there nowhere on the AMCAS application where I can indicate nontrad? Just moving on to AMCAS from TMDSAS and realizing there's no way to indicate nontrad. Also the only essay is the personal statement right?
It’s going to be in the secondaries where you can talk about it when asked, or in the “anything else you’d like to say?” free topic essay

Reactions: 1 user
Typing in course names and numbers for a secondary app today and just realized that I mistyped the numerical code of my first semester Gen Chem class on AMCAS. It says CHEM 1430 on my transcript but I accidentally put CHEM 1710 when filling out coursework on AMCAS. My AMCAS app was already submitted and verified and sent to all of my schools, I've also received and submitted secondaries to a bunch of schools already. I'm not sure if I need to fix this and who to reach out to now to fix this?

Typing in course names and numbers for a secondary app today and just realized that I mistyped the numerical code of my first semester Gen Chem class on AMCAS. It says CHEM 1430 on my transcript but I accidentally put CHEM 1710 when filling out coursework on AMCAS. My AMCAS app was already submitted and verified and sent to all of my schools, I've also received and submitted secondaries to a bunch of schools already. I'm not sure if I need to fix this and who to reach out to now to fix this?
It likely does not matter since you wrote it was a Gen Chem class. The school you matriculate to will request an official transcript and you can clear up any issues with them specifically.

If it's the only error in your course entry, chances are AMCAS fixed it when verifying.

I am reapplying to this year and planning to turn in my primary today. I want to retake the MCAT to get my score up a couple points from last year. Unfortunately, I waited until today to look at available dates and I won’t be able to take it until mid-late August, meaning my score won’t be available until late September. I was hoping I could get some advice on whether I should indicate a future MCAT date or just send an update letter to my schools when I get my score. I am worried that if I indicate a future test date, my application won’t be considered complete until the score is released.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am reapplying to this year and planning to turn in my primary today. I want to retake the MCAT to get my score up a couple points from last year. Unfortunately, I waited until today to look at available dates and I won’t be able to take it until mid-late August, meaning my score won’t be available until late September. I was hoping I could get some advice on whether I should indicate a future MCAT date or just send an update letter to my schools when I get my score. I am worried that if I indicate a future test date, my application won’t be considered complete until the score is released.
A few points does not move the needle really since schools average scores and it is usually expected that students improve by at least a bit since taking it before gives them more exposure to the types of questions asked.

There is no guarantee update letters are read. If you think your MCAT score was a major reason you had to reapply, you would be better off waiting a cycle.

Hello! I am currently trying to calculate my "AAMC" GPA. I took community college classes (was able to obtain an AA) while I was in high school. How would I go classifying these classes? Would it be my "freshmen" and "sophomore" year since from a unit-stance point that's when I would have taken them?

Someone asked this question on the Tulane thread and I think I know the answer but was not 100% sure:
If you apply to a school ED and they notify you they have moved your application to the RD pool, this is in effect a "decision" on the ED application, right? Meaning they are not going to be considered any further in the ED process.
Are they now allowed to send their AMCAS application to other schools, Regular decision?
@Catalystik

Someone asked this question on the Tulane thread and I think I know hte answer but was not 100% sure:
If you apply to a school ED and they notify you they have moved your application to the RD pool, this is in effect a "decision" on the ED application, right? Meaning they are not going to be considered any further in the ED process.
Are they now allowed to send their AMCAS application to other schools, Regular decision?
@Catalystik
I think a call to that school to clarify is a good idea.

If you submitted primary before your MCAT score came out and marked that you have an upcoming score, do you need to go back and mark no once the score comes out? I’ve submitted all my secondaries and all of them have said “complete” or “submitted for prelim review” but one school emailed yesterday and said my app is complete but they’re waiting for a new mcat. I’m worried now that all my apps I submitted early are gonna be late.

If you submitted primary before your MCAT score came out and marked that you have an upcoming score, do you need to go back and mark no once the score comes out? I’ve submitted all my secondaries and all of them have said “complete” or “submitted for prelim review” but one school emailed yesterday and said my app is complete but they’re waiting for a new mcat. I’m worried now that all my apps I submitted early are gonna be late.
A lot of schools will wait for that new score. How much longer until your score report?
Edited to correct myself about updating the AMCAS portal after "what used to be a future test date" has passed.
Here is what the AMCAS guide says on page 66;
MCAT® Scores
All MCAT exams you have taken and for which you have received scores will be automatically released to the AMCAS program. Before you submit your application, you must ensure all the MCAT exams you’ve received scores for are listed in this section. Please note: This does not include any exams you voided at the time of the exam.
If you have not yet taken the MCAT exam or have not yet received a score for a recently taken MCAT exam at the time you submit your application, it is very important that you include in your application the test dates for upcoming or recently taken MCAT exams. If you don’t do this, medical schools will have no way of knowing that they should expect (additional) MCAT scores from you.
Also, be sure to remove MCAT exam date(s) from your application after your scores have been released and to keep this section current after you submit your application!

Last edited:
A lot of schools will wait for that new score. How much longer until your score report?
You don't need to "uncheck" the box on your AMCAS app.
I took it June 3rd. So all my apps that I submitted have been complete. I got an email from LKSOM that confused me cause they said I indicated an upcoming test but when I looked at amcas it was just the June 3rd one that I indicated.

I took it June 3rd. So all my apps that I submitted have been complete. I got an email from LKSOM that confused me cause they said I indicated an upcoming test but when I looked at amcas it was just the June 3rd one that I indicated.
Hmm sounds like they didn’t double check?
Reply that the “upcoming” test date was June 3 and that your new score is 5xx
Good luck!

It would be nice if you did go back and un-check the box after your new scores are posted. I don't know how your application management software works at the schools you applied to, but you never know if someone didn't build the logic to "remove" the checkbox for you.

Alternatively, this is why the usual step is to notify the schools by email that your new score has posted. If they are able to, the schools will remove their flag waiting for your new score on their side.

I just got two II for T10 programs. Do I have a real shot if I got an interview invite for these two schools? Looking on MSAR my stats are lower than or at the 10% mark. I don't know whether to get my hopes up or keep my expectations low. If I kill my interview can it make admissions officers overlook my 514 MCAT?
Since you are new, we have no idea of your backstory or mission fit with the schools. It's possible you could get an offer with a very strong interview. We don't throw IIs around like candy at Halloween.

Hey @Oceanspraycranberry I updated my reply above because you can change this part of the AMCAS app after submitting, now that your "formerly future" test date has passed and you have that score.

Hey @Oceanspraycranberry I updated my reply above because you can change this part of the AMCAS app after submitting, now that your "formerly future" test date has passed and you have that score.
Thank you! Do you think I screwed myself over by not updating it until last week? Like I said, most of my secondaries were marked complete the 3rd week of July but I don't know if schools just put my app aside since my primary indicated a future score.

Thank you! Do you think I screwed myself over by not updating it until last week? Like I said, most of my secondaries were marked complete the 3rd week of July but I don't know if schools just put my app aside since my primary indicated a future score.
You are doing your best

I recently received a med school acceptance via Early Decision, and i'm not seeing the acceptance appear on my AMCAS home page for the 2024 application. Does the acceptance not get reported on AMCAS? Or maybe its too early in the cycle for the med school acceptance to appear on my AMCAS homepage since the day that CYMS goes live on AMCAS is way out?

I recently received a med school acceptance via Early Decision, and i'm not seeing the acceptance appear on my AMCAS home page for the 2024 application. Does the acceptance not get reported on AMCAS? Or maybe its too early in the cycle for the med school acceptance to appear on my AMCAS homepage since the day that CYMS goes live on AMCAS is way out?
Congratulations!

If I interpret the AAMC website, October 1 is their notification date (preposition "by"). Be patient, but if you have a letter and a receipt for a deposit, you sound good.

Question regarding app updates. Since submitting my app, I enrolled in a 3 month ccma course (30 hours in class each week) which will also include 120 internship at the end of the course. Would it be appropriate to update my app with this course?
If you haven’t finished it, no.

I'm also shadowing and volunteering so plan to update with those under activities/experiences but since this course is also 30 hours a week, is there a way I could list this under an ongoing activity?
You are missing the important point that you cannot actually add these new experiences to your existing application.
The best you could do is email your schools with anything new you have added. “More” hours of an existing experience will not add to your chances.

Currently a 4th year med student at a US MD in Florida. Just finishing residency interviews for general and cardiothoracic surgery residencies. Did well in med school (preclinicals, clinical rotations, Step 1/2, lots of residency interviews). I had very few options when getting into med school, but I learned a lot about turning it around after getting in. Happy to share my experiences/review applications for anyone interested! Feel free to send me a DM and I'll be happy to connect via email/phone. Hoping to pay it forward for future medical students here.

If I plan to apply to MD programs in June and MD-PhD programs in August is it bad if medical schools gets letters which say they reccomend me as a physician-scientist?

I have access to CYMS now. As an Early Decision Acceptee, what next steps do y'all advise I take? Since it's my only med school acceptance, I guess I just choose Plan to Enroll, and that's that?

For reapplicants does the previous completed application transfer(or parts)? What all has to be filled out again?

For reapplicants does the previous completed application transfer(or parts)? What all has to be filled out again?
AAMC Guide page 4
If you are reapplying to medical school, you are only considered a reapplicant to schools that received
your verified AMCAS application from a previous application year. Keep in mind:
• You will need to resubmit official transcripts and letters of evaluation to the AMCAS program.
• You will indicate your reapplicant status for each school you’re reapplying to in the Medical Schools
section of your application.
• If you submitted a previous year’s application and did not withdraw it, most of the information you
entered will roll over to the current application.
• Although your information rolls over, the Main Menu will show all sections of your new application
as “Incomplete.” You must go through each section and confirm the information is correct. When
you verify that information and select Continue at the end of each section, the Main Menu will
show that section as complete. We suggest you print your application from the previous year to
confirm what you submitted.
• If the AMCAS program made changes to a section of the application, you will need to reenter
information there.
• If the information you provided for misdemeanors, felonies, and/or institutional actions varies from
previous applications, the AAMC will be notified and investigate the discrepancy.