*~*~*~* Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2023-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is verification still the same amount as anybody else for those who are reapplicants, like reapplicant verification time isn't any faster than first-time applicant verification? Like if I submitted in the 2nd week of June last year and verification took 32 days, I can expect a similar amount of verification time if I applied in a similar timeframe this month as a reapplicant?

Members don't see this ad.

Is verification still the same amount as anybody else for those who are reapplicants, like reapplicant verification time isn't any faster than first-time applicant verification? Like if I submitted in the 2nd week of June last year and verification took 32 days, I can expect a similar amount of verification time if I applied in a similar timeframe this month as a reapplicant?
Roughly. They go in order of when the application was submitted. There is not a separate queue for reapplicants.

FYI verification so far is going lighting fast, it seems. I was just verified! Submitted at 1pm on opening day.

Also, if I made errors on which recs should go to which schools, can I correct those? I selected the recs whenI submitted. I see now that some schools request 3 prof's, some request 2 + other person, etc. Is it possible to change which recs go to which of my schools at this point (obv before secondaries have started)? If so, how? TY!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
FYI verification so far is going lighting fast, it seems. I was just verified! Submitted at 1pm on opening day.

Also, if I made errors on which recs should go to which schools, can I correct those? I selected the recs whenI submitted. I see now that some schools request 3 prof's, some request 2 + other person, etc. Is it possible to change which recs go to which of my schools at this point (obv before secondaries have started)? If so, how? TY!
See item 5 of the FAQ in the LOR thread:

Page 57 of the AMCAS applicant guide contains the instructions for assigning additional LORs to schools if you need to do that.

Reactions: 1 user
heya! just a quick question on listing AP's if anyone happens to know...

my ap's are listed on my college transcript as transfer credit, with course number + credit hours + passing indication so that's all good. when entering these into amcas coursework, what term should i designate it as? right now i put them as OT (other term), but that puts them in between my S1 and S2 classes which is technically non-chronological maybe. should i put them in S1 with my other first semester classes? is there a known best way to do this?

thanks!

On the future coursework, If I put course X instead of course Y. I have enrolled for Course Y for Fall 23(future) and shows in official transcript. But I am planning to change to course X when we get the second time ticket.

heya! just a quick question on listing AP's if anyone happens to know...

my ap's are listed on my college transcript as transfer credit, with course number + credit hours + passing indication so that's all good. when entering these into amcas coursework, what term should i designate it as? right now i put them as OT (other term), but that puts them in between my S1 and S2 classes which is technically non-chronological maybe. should i put them in S1 with my other first semester classes? is there a known best way to do this?

thanks!
It depends on which term you started school. If you started school on Fall, the AP credits are awarded during Fall, so it is Fall. The video below from AMCAS link explains.

On the future coursework, If I put course X instead of course Y. I have enrolled for Course Y for Fall 23(future) and shows in official transcript. But I am planning to change to course X when we get the second time ticket.
You will send an updated transcript to the school you ultimately matriculate to. This should not cause a problem with verification right now for AMCAS.

Once a recommender uploads a letter to amcas, can you select which schools it goes to? Or, do you need to select schools first?

You pick the schools you want to apply to first and then assign them.
I meant like I already submitted my app and am going to have a recommendation letter submitted but do I need to assign it to all the schools I want first?

I meant like I already submitted my app and am going to have a recommendation letter submitted but do I need to assign it to all the schools I want first?
Once it is in the AMCAS letter system, I assume you can do it piece by piece if you want. Better to take care of it all at once so you don't forget imo.

Is it okay to wear a no logo t-shirt for Casper? Is there an expectation to wear professional clothing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it okay to wear a no logo t-shirt for Casper? Is there an expectation to wear professional clothing?
This thread is for AMCAS-related questions. The test is based on written responses (Snapshot is no longer used I believe) so I don't see why there would be an expectation to wear professional dress.

This thread is for AMCAS-related questions. The test is based on written responses (Snapshot is no longer used I believe) so I don't see why there would be an expectation to wear professional dress.
Actually some of the CASPer responses are now videotaped so it’s a fair question. Business casual should be fine

Reactions: 1 users
Actually some of the CASPer responses are now videotaped so it’s a fair question. Business casual should be fine
I see now on their website that they are dedicating a whole section to video responses now. Agree, business casual would be a good way to go.

Hey everyone,

I took a lot of dual enrollment classes in high school, and graduated with an associate's degree with my diploma. I applied to colleges as a transfer student, not a freshman, and have continued my education. I took an additional 3 years to finish my degree with some minors and some honors. I am trying to input these classes into amcas, however how do I spread the coursework? I have 6 years of college classes to fill in, around 86 credits before I finished high school, and another 90 or so from my undergrad college.

How would you recommend I input these classes? Ideally I want to be looked at as a community college student, and then a regular undergrad, but I am not sure if amcas agrees.

Thank you all!

AMCAS instructions are clear, "Assign HS status to college-level courses taken before the high school graduation date you entered in the Schools Attended section, regardless of the physical location of the college-level course."

"Courses for a bachelor’s degree earned in three years should be assigned statuses of FR, SO, and SR. Courses for a bachelor’s degree earned in more than four years should be assigned statuses of FR, SO, JR, SR."

Hey everyone,

I took a lot of dual enrollment classes in high school, and graduated with an associate's degree with my diploma. I applied to colleges as a transfer student, not a freshman, and have continued my education. I took an additional 3 years to finish my degree with some minors and some honors. I am trying to input these classes into amcas, however how do I spread the coursework? I have 6 years of college classes to fill in, around 86 credits before I finished high school, and another 90 or so from my undergrad college.

How would you recommend I input these classes? Ideally I want to be looked at as a community college student, and then a regular undergrad, but I am not sure if amcas agrees.

Thank you all!
I have moved your post to the main AMCAS questions thread. See LizzyM's answer above.

Not sure if I asked this before, but is it possible to apply Early Decision to one school and later apply Regular Decision to non-AMCAS schools (AACOMAS and TMDSAS)? Does AMCAS track the AACOMAS and TMDSAS school you applied to while you placed a ED application to one school?

Not sure if I asked this before, but is it possible to apply Early Decision to one school and later apply Regular Decision to non-AMCAS schools (AACOMAS and TMDSAS)? Does AMCAS track the AACOMAS and TMDSAS school you applied to while you placed a ED application to one school?
See AMCAS Guide page 62. You may not apply to any other schools, AMCAS or Non-AMCAS, until you get a decision from your ED school application. They don't have to give you a decision until October 1, putting you very late for applying to other schools if you don't get in.
I feel ED is of very limited usefulness in medical school applications, unlike in college applications when it can at times improve your chances.

I just realized that I did not input the AP credits that are on my transcript. I thought I did not need to input them because I never used them to fulfill any class credits, but they still show up as "[AP Exam] - 4 units" for each one I took. Will my application be returned to me because of this?
It's one of the most common things they pick up during the verification process. You can't fix it until they return your application to you for revision, but is should be a pretty quick thing for you to fix.
From AMCAS Guide;
Application Processing
During peak season, AMCAS verification may take six to eight weeks. Once you have submitted your application and the AMCAS program has received all your required transcripts, your application will be listed as Ready for Review. At this stage, your application is in the verification queue. When your application status is Under Review, the AMCAS program determines if there are any missing or incorrect items that may prevent verification processing. If omissions or errors can’t be resolved, the program will return your application.
 The most common reasons for a returned application are:

• Failure to include original grades and credit hours for repeated courses.
  • Failure to list 10 or more courses that appear on an official transcript.
  • Failure to list 10 or more credits as they appear on an official transcript.
  • Failure to list 10 or more grades as they appear on an official transcript.
  • Failure to list coursework in chronological order.
    You can only correct or change an AMCAS application that is returned to you. Be sure to review your application carefully before submitting it to the AMCAS program. You will not be able to change anything unless the program returns the application to you and specifically requests corrected information.

I'm finishing up my application right now and noticed that there's an option to indicate I'm re-taking the MCAT. I'm retaking it in July (considering pushing it to august since I'm mostly doing it for a second round improvement if I don't get in on my first try) but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to indicate I'm re-taking it on THIS application, or if that'll flag my app to not even be looked at until they see that second score I didn't even really intend to use on this application. ALTERNATIVELY, will marking it not delay my application for schools that might be interested in me with the score I submit, and also tell them to keep an eye out for my second attempt later on, after secondaries and while they're making their decision?

I'm finishing up my application right now and noticed that there's an option to indicate I'm re-taking the MCAT. I'm retaking it in July (considering pushing it to august since I'm mostly doing it for a second round improvement if I don't get in on my first try) but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to indicate I'm re-taking it on THIS application, or if that'll flag my app to not even be looked at until they see that second score I didn't even really intend to use on this application. ALTERNATIVELY, will marking it not delay my application for schools that might be interested in me with the score I submit, and also tell them to keep an eye out for my second attempt later on, after secondaries and while they're making their decision?
If you think your current score is lower than you like, there is no harm to listing your upcoming date because they might wait to see that one too and assess you with the new score.

I have my primary app ready to go with my transcript already received by AMCAS. But, I realized that while the transcript I sent has all my grades/coursework/final GPA, it doesn't have my official degree and honors designation. Should I wait for AMCAS to receive my new transcript before submitting or just submit with the transcript I have already in there? Do adcoms ever look at the transcript itself or just look at the verified coursework? Does AMCAS just update whatever primary app is sent with the most recent transcript?

I have my primary app ready to go with my transcript already received by AMCAS. But, I realized that while the transcript I sent has all my grades/coursework/final GPA, it doesn't have my official degree and honors designation. Should I wait for AMCAS to receive my new transcript before submitting or just submit with the transcript I have already in there? Do adcoms ever look at the transcript itself or just look at the verified coursework? Does AMCAS just update whatever primary app is sent with the most recent transcript?
No, you don't need to wait. If all the coursework is on the transcript, then you can send it. The school you end up matriculating to will ask for a transcript next spring/summer to verify you got your degree.

Hi, I'm receiving a committee letter and because I am currently submitting my AMCAS with a throwaway school it indicates that the LOR is assigned to one medical school. Will the letter, once received by amcas, be automatically forwarded to the other schools I plan on adding after my mcat score is out or do I have to do something in addition? Thank you!

Hi, I'm receiving a committee letter and because I am currently submitting my AMCAS with a throwaway school it indicates that the LOR is assigned to one medical school. Will the letter, once received by amcas, be automatically forwarded to the other schools I plan on adding after my mcat score is out or do I have to do something in addition? Thank you!
When you add more schools you need to assign your committee letter to each school one by one.

When applying for FAP, if you submit your AMCAS Primary Application before your FAP makes a decision on your application, does the AAMC automatically reject your FAP application when you pay for the primary app fee?

And another non-related question, for the "Other Impactful Experiences" in the Biographical Information section, if you don't have any hardships that qualify under what they describe as an Other Impactful Experiences (only thing I can think of is COVID disrupting things like my ability to volunteer at a hospital as well as delaying my MCAT date further and further in the year), is it best to not list anything and say I never experienced an Impactful Experience?

And another non-related question, for the "Other Impactful Experiences" in the Biographical Information section, if you don't have any hardships that qualify under what they describe as an Other Impactful Experiences (only thing I can think of is COVID disrupting things like my ability to volunteer at a hospital as well as delaying my MCAT date further and further in the year), is it best to not list anything and say I never experienced an Impactful Experience?
Yes, better to not force anything. It is an optional prompt.

Read

Specifically
"Around 30% of ERAS 2022 applicants answered the prompt."

Save your COVID adversity story for secondaries on COVID or adversity.

I have a dilemma, so I just found out that my FAP application didn't go through because I didn't submit my 1040 this whole time. I just submitted it yesterday and they emailed me that they'll get back to me in 5 business days. If I get accepted for FAP, it would dramatically reduce the cost of my applications. Is it worth waiting 5 more business days to hear back from FAP about my application status or is the risk of pushing back my primary application submission to wait it out for my FAP not worth it? Because if I submit my primary app while the FAP application is pending, AMCAS says I would be automatically forfeiting my FAP application for the entire current year.

I have a dilemma, so I just found out that my FAP application didn't go through because I didn't submit my 1040 this whole time. I just submitted it yesterday and they emailed me that they'll get back to me in 5 business days. If I get accepted for FAP, it would dramatically reduce the cost of my applications. Is it worth waiting 5 more business days to hear back from FAP about my application status or is the risk of pushing back my primary application submission to wait it out for my FAP not worth it? Because if I submit my primary app while the FAP application is pending, AMCAS says I would be automatically forfeiting my FAP application for the entire current year.
Yes, please wait for the determination on your FAP application.
You will be saved the cost of the general AMCAS application as well as the secondary fees for those schools who honor the FAP.
5 days is no big deal!

Hello! I am currently slogging through some secondaries and have come across some questions similar to this one for Hackensack:

"
  1. Have you ever been convicted of any crime or offense, whether State or Federal, including offenses categorized as misdemeanors, high misdemeanors, or felonies? You should include convictions under any circumstances such as, but not limited to, a plea of guilty, Non Vult, Nolo Contendere, No Contest, etc., or a finding by a judge or jury. You do not need to include convictions that were overturned on appeal. (500 words)"

Would a minor traffic violation (not stopping fully for a red light) be considered? That doesn't count as any of the above right?

Thank you!

Hello! I am currently slogging through some secondaries and have come across some questions similar to this one for Hackensack:

"
  1. Have you ever been convicted of any crime or offense, whether State or Federal, including offenses categorized as misdemeanors, high misdemeanors, or felonies? You should include convictions under any circumstances such as, but not limited to, a plea of guilty, Non Vult, Nolo Contendere, No Contest, etc., or a finding by a judge or jury. You do not need to include convictions that were overturned on appeal. (500 words)"

Would a minor traffic violation (not stopping fully for a red light) be considered? That doesn't count as any of the above right?

Thank you!
only if it is a misdemeanor in your state. Probably not but do your checking

If the question is optional, and you don't have any other relevant circumstance or experience that's fitting, then skip it. A "fluff" answer is relatively easy to identify and weakens the application. If you, your family, your community, or someone very close to you experienced a personal struggle or hardship due to Covid-19, that might be a story worth sharing. Academic adjustments and adaptations are better addressed matter of factly in a secondary -- I agree with @Mr.Smile12 .

Hi, I had a question about coursework. The amcas video indicates that we should put “and lab” in addition to the course name if we chose combined lab and lecture. However, on the 2024 applicant guide it says to write the course name exactly as it is. I’m confused as to which way is right? For example on my transcript my physics course is named “General physics 1 Lec” yet it also had lab component but it’s not indicated anywhere. Is it ok if I don’t add the “and lab” but only have it checked out in the box? Thank you!

Hi, I had a question about coursework. The amcas video indicates that we should put “and lab” in addition to the course name if we chose combined lab and lecture. However, on the 2024 applicant guide it says to write the course name exactly as it is. I’m confused as to which way is right? For example on my transcript my physics course is named “General physics 1 Lec” yet it also had lab component but it’s not indicated anywhere. Is it ok if I don’t add the “and lab” but only have it checked out in the box? Thank you!
Checking “lecture + lab” is enough

Hi, I have a question re: the SES Indicator/Disadvantaged Status. I read on the AMCAS applicant guide that the parent with the highest educational level is considered to determine disadvantaged status. However, what if that parent (who had a professional degree) is no longer living? Is the other parent's educational level and occupation now considered instead even if it was 'lower'? (Both parents studied internationally but only the 2nd living parent is a U.S. resident, in case that is relevant). Or will the SES indicator be N/A as a whole now? AMCAS still asked me for the educational and occupational info for both parents regardless so I'm confused on how it works. If anyone had a similar experience and was able to see how it impacted your disadvantaged status/SES indicator after submitting, I would appreciate any insights. Thank you.

Hi, I have a question re: the SES Indicator/Disadvantaged Status. I read on the AMCAS applicant guide that the parent with the highest educational level is considered to determine disadvantaged status. However, what if that parent (who had a professional degree) is no longer living? Is the other parent's educational level and occupation now considered instead even if it was 'lower'? (Both parents studied internationally but only the 2nd living parent is a U.S. resident, in case that is relevant). Or will the SES indicator be N/A as a whole now? AMCAS still asked me for the educational and occupational info for both parents regardless so I'm confused on how it works. If anyone had a similar experience and was able to see how it impacted your disadvantaged status/SES indicator after submitting, I would appreciate any insights. Thank you.
there are several questions about each parent, one of the questions is whether the parent is still living.
Answer the questions about each parent truthfully and don't worry about how the categorization will all turn out.

For the OP, I am unsure if the rubric has changed. When the EO rubric first came out, it would only score if you had living parents at the time of application. Unless this had changed, if you indicate a parent is not living, the EO score will not be calculated. Many have pointed out this issue, but it puts the burden on admissions teams to read deeper into the application... which many of us did anyway. In short, do not underestimate the fact the school admissions staff check for these things, and often we have our own calculations that we derive from the primary application.

Is there something I need to do to make sure my application is sent? My status says 'Application - AMCAS Processing is Complete' but the button to withdraw my application is greyed out and I can still make edits to the degree program that I'm applying for per school. Sorry if this is neurotic, I'm just super anxious about something going wrong because I've already had a few technical issues this cycle!

Is there something I need to do to make sure my application is sent? My status says 'Application - AMCAS Processing is Complete' but the button to withdraw my application is greyed out and I can still make edits to the degree program that I'm applying for per school. Sorry if this is neurotic, I'm just super anxious about something going wrong because I've already had a few technical issues this cycle!
Today is the first day any applications will be sent to schools by AMCAS, so wait for another message that yours has been sent. There is nothing more to do right now.

This question is probably been asked before. My University pre-health committee informed that they will take longer to send the Evaluation packet. Does it make sense to spend more time on my secondaries and time it to send when the med schools will get my LORs ? The schools I am curious about are (1) Medical college of Wisconsin (2) TAMU (3) UIUC CICOM (4) UT Houston, (5) Rosalind Franklin (6) Brown (7) Texas Tech (8) UIUC CICOM. TMDSAS already transmitted to schools and I expecting AMCAS sometime next week.

This question is probably been asked before. My University pre-health committee informed that they will take longer to send the Evaluation packet. Does it make sense to spend more time on my secondaries and time it to send when the med schools will get my LORs ? The schools I am curious about are (1) Medical college of Wisconsin (2) TAMU (3) UIUC CICOM (4) UT Houston, (5) Rosalind Franklin (6) Brown (7) Texas Tech (8) UIUC CICOM. TMDSAS already transmitted to schools and I expecting AMCAS sometime next week.
The writing and submission of the secondaries is entirely under your control. It makes more sense to me to submit them when you are satisfied with them, not wait on a committee letter.
Your letters will be needed for a totally complete application, but most schools know they are a supporting document that could arrive a little later.

For the OP, I am unsure if the rubric has changed. When the EO rubric first came out, it would only score if you had living parents at the time of application. Unless this had changed, if you indicate a parent is not living, the EO score will not be calculated. Many have pointed out this issue, but it puts the burden on admissions teams to read deeper into the application... which many of us did anyway. In short, do not underestimate the fact the school admissions staff check for these things, and often we have our own calculations that we derive from the primary application.
Thank you so much for your response! So then even if one parent is still living, (if nothing has changed with the EO rubric, that is), if one parent is deceased it will still give me "unknown" or "N/A" for my SES status? If so, that's a little disheartening, but it at least is nice to hear that admissions officers will dig deeper to try to understand the full picture when that happens. For me, I was raised by my living (widowed) mom almost my whole life after losing my dad to cancer, so I would have hoped or assumed that her info would have been what would be used to determine my SES status so that it could be accurately reflected.

Thank you also to wysdoc, I'm actually not applying until next cycle so I won't be able to see what SES status AAMC gives me for another year so that's why I was curious. I'll of course input the same information truthfully either way regardless of what status it ends up giving me, but I was looking for some peace of mind. As a low-income URM I hoped that could be at least somewhat reflected (outside of my own essays) through something like the SES indicator, given yesterday's Supreme Court ruling.

Last edited:
Hello! dunno if this is the right thread for secondaries review, but is there anyone who can look over my secondary prompts for Kimmel/Wake Forest?

Thanks!

Hello! dunno if this is the right thread for secondaries review, but is there anyone who can look over my secondary prompts for Kimmel/Wake Forest?

Thanks!
No, this thread is really for AMCAS-related questions only. Prospective readers are unlikely to be active here.