*~*~*~* Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2023-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I did not write this thread - it has been passed down through the eons by pre-allo staff.

It is that time of year again!
The AMCAS Application will be opening SOON! This is a place for all things AMCAS related so that we don't flood the first page. All threads created after this one will be merged into this thread. All previously created threads that are bumped will be re-directed here, and closed if bumped again.

Reminder: Each thread has a search function!! PLEASE use it!!.

Also, one of your first resources should be the source itself. Almost any basic question you have about AMCAS can be found by reading the AMCAS FAQ and the AMCAS instruction manual. Please try to find your answer before posting your question.

The AMCAS FAQ can be found here and the 2024 applicant guide can be found here.
This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!
-- -- --
AMCAS FAQ from 2012 through 2023; please let us know if there are any changes. Will be continuously updated as new information is brought to light.

General Submission/Big Picture Questions

1. When does AMCAS open? How soon can I submit?

The AMCAS application opens on May 2nd, 2022, and you can submit starting May 30th, 2023 @930am EST.

2. When can I start uploading my transcripts to AMCAS?
As soon as the application opens, on May 2nd.

3. How should I organize my information in the Work and Activities Section?
The Pre-Allo staff has created a new thread that compiles some of the best bits of information and contains a FAQ for the Work and Activities section. That thread can be found here. Please post questions regarding this section into that thread.

4. What about Letters of Rec?
Funny you should ask. There is a thread for that too.

5. What should I include in my personal statement?

Wouldn't you know....there is a thread for that too. Check out the Official Personal Statement Reader Thread for some great advice.

6. How is AMCAS different from prior years?
Within the activities section, hours should now clearly be separated between completed and expected. Completed and Anticipated Hours

7. What is all of this about being a reapplicant?
AMCAS will only show you are a reapplicant to each of the individual schools you have applied to previously. No school at anytime during the AMCAS process can see if you have previously applied to any other school, nor can it see any other school your are currently applying to. No school except the individual school your are reapplying to can see any part of your previous AMCAS application, and only if they have kept it on file, which most schools do. AMCAS does not provide your previous application to any school, whether a reapplicant or not. Every MD school can see if you have been accepted previously at an MD school. While AMCAS guidelines do allow individual schools on their secondary applications to ask if you had ever previously applied to medical school, the question does not appear to be widely used. It is more common for individual schools to ask if you have ever been accepted previously matriculated at any medical school, which would include allopathic, osteopathic, or off-shore.

8. What parts of the AMCAS application can I change after submitting? If I change these things, will I have to wait longer?
You can add and assign LORs (Letters of Recommendation)

You can change your name, current address, and alternate names

You can add a future MCAT test date

Several other things that can be found here on the AMCAS official site.

No, you will not have to wait longer once you re-submit.

9. How long does it take to get verified after submitting?
It varies. Generally, the later you submit, the longer it takes. You can look at last year's verification times here.

10. When do secondaries come out?
This varies from school to school. If you are interested in a particular school, your best bet is to check out that school's specific thread in the "School Specific Discussions" forum.

11. What are some important dates that I should know?
May 2nd, 2023 -- AMCAS Application Opens
May 30th, 2023 -- First Day to Submit AMCAS
June 30th, 2023 -- First Day Applications are Transmitted to Medical Schools
October 15th, 2023 -- First Day Acceptance Offers Can Be Made
April 15th, 2024 -- AMCAS Suggests Narrowing Down to 3 Acceptances by This Date
April 30th, 2024 -- Date By Which Applicants Must Hold Only One Acceptance

Transcript/Coursework Questions

12. What about transcripts in general? Tell me everything!

Once the AMCAS application opens in May, you will be given an AMCAS ID number. You are also then able to add schools (and the dates you attended those schools) into AMCAS. When you do this, you will be able to print a transcript sheet that contains your AMCAS ID number on it for each school. When you go to order your transcripts, have your school include this sheet with the transcripts to be sent.

12a. I know this was asked in question 3 above....but do I really really really have to include every transcript?
Yes, you MUST include transcripts from all colleges you have ever attended. You cannot send the transcripts yourself (as in, getting a copy into your hands, and then sending it to AMCAS); they have to come from the school directly to be considered official.

12b. Do I have to include the AMCAS sheet when sending in my transcripts? What happens if I don't?
You should really include this sheet; giving AMCAS any chance to lose your transcripts is a bad idea. However, I can tell you from personal experience that one of the 8 transcripts I had to send was done online, and I was unable to include the sheet. I gave instructions for them to write my AMCAS ID on the envelope, and it got there fine. But again....making more work for AMCAS employees or giving them an excuse to lose your stuff is never a good idea.

13. What about in-progress courses or courses I know I am going to take over the summer? What about Pre-reqs I am taking over the summer?
There is a chance for you to list all future courses on the AMCAS application. No, you can not update these grades later in AMCAS, but you CAN update individual schools later with these grades. This is actually a perfect opportunity for you to send an Update Letter to schools telling them again how much you love them and telling them what you've been up to.

14. I took a class at a community college while I was in high school. Do I still need to report that transcript?
Yes. If you don't, you are risking being found out and having a school revoke an acceptance.

15. My spring grades don't come out until May/June/July/Whatever. Should I wait until I get them to submit my application?
If you decide you want to apply as early as possible, your spring grades would not be on your transcript. This is a judgement call. If your spring grades matter a LOT (they contain 3 prereqs, all As, and this is the first time you've taken a full load), wait until they come in before you send your transcripts in.
If not (they result in a minimal impact to your GPA, have only 1 prereq, and don't show anything special), go ahead and submit and plan to send updates to schools. Sending them some good grades is a good reason to contact them later if you've had a lot of silence from them. You are at a greater advantage being early than having more grades that will barely impact your GPA.

I would also suggest "rushing" transcripts whenever possible. The peace of mind is worth the extra money.

Also, keep in mind; you can submit without transcripts. The problem is that you will not be verified without them.

16. Does AMCAS begin verifying my coursework once they receive my transcripts?
No. AMCAS only verifies coursework once you submit your application. AMCAS will send you an email notifying you of the date they receive your transcript and the school that sent it, but that doesn't mean that your coursework is being verified.

17. Do I need to send in my transcript again, even if I sent it in last year?
Yes. See here AMCAS® FAQs

18. Will medical schools notice that a class included a lab?
In addition to selecting the "Combined Lecture and Lab" radio button, it is recommended that you add "and Lab" to the end of the course name. The 2020 AMCAS instruction manual says this:

2023-24 Applicant Guide

If you disagree with a change that AMCAS made, then submit an "Academic Change Request" form found on the Main Menu of your AMCAS application, but be prepared to back up your claim.

20. Help! What do I do with my AP classes?
Read through the AMCAS instruction manual, particularly page 32. For additional information on specific schools that accept AP credit, see this thread.

21. How do repeat courses average into the AMCAS application?
Both classes will need to be listed when you enter your information into AMCAS, and they will both be used when calculating your final GPA. If you want, you can this of this as "averaging" the grade, with the full amount of credit being equal to both classes together. Example: 3 units of C, class is retaken for 3 units of A. The final calculation would be 6 units of B.

22. Can I have my school send in a digital copy of my transcript? What email address do I send it to?
AMCAS has started accepting eTranscripts from some institutions that have registered with them. Consult your pre-health advisement office to see if this is available for your school. Your registrar will still need to send the eTranscript directly to AMCAS (AMCAS does not accept transcripts via email from applicants).

This FAQ is a work in progress. Please feel free to make suggestions in this thread or via PM for its contents; both questions and answers.

If you think something should be added to the FAQ, you see something that needs to be updated, or for any other concerns, tag @chilly_md , @PapaGuava , @gyngyn , @Lucca , or @Moko, or @wysdoc in one of your posts (or PM us!). If you do this, it's a HUGE HUGE HUGE help if you post the link to your source in your post!

Thanks and best of luck everyone!

Link to last year's thread!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm considering applying Early Decision for a school. I'm thinking about making my Personal Statement focused on how I can serve as a doctor in that state and how I can serve that medical school. A question I was wondering about was if I apply Early Decision and if it doesn't work out when they release my decision around September/October, can I change my personal statement and LORs for when I transition to the Regular Decision application? How would I do that? Does it involve withdrawing my ED application and resubmitting a new application for that same year for Regular Decision?

I'm considering applying Early Decision for a school. I'm thinking about making my Personal Statement focused on how I can serve as a doctor in that state and how I can serve that medical school. A question I was wondering about was if I apply Early Decision and if it doesn't work out when they release my decision around September/October, can I change my personal statement and LORs for when I transition to the Regular Decision application? How would I do that? Does it involve withdrawing my ED application and resubmitting a new application for that same year for Regular Decision?
Your personal statement can’t be changed after submission. Isn’t there a supplementary essay for ED in which you can state your case?
If you withdrew your app after finding out you were not accepted ED, you are not allowed to resubmit the same application cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I attended the AMCAS transcripts and coursework webinar and it left me more confused. If anyone has any insight into the best way to enter the following courses, AP credit etc, please let me know. I've looked through the coursework guide too, and can't find anything for these specific situations.

1. I took a yearlong course from Fall to Spring (my school is semester based). The course appears twice on my transcript, once each semester for 3.0 credits. The Spring entry does not say repeat or anything else, it's just the exact same course twice. Can I enter this as a 6.0 credit yearlong course with an A? I got an A both semesters.
  2. For AP courses, my school have me individual credit for each test I submitted, but didn't direct the credit towards anything. It's just stuff like 'AP Biology - 4 - 6.0 credits'. I know that, since my college gave me AP credit, I need to include all of these classes in the coursework section. However, I'm confused about whether I have to mark any courses as Repeat.
  3. To the above point, I took and was awarded various amounts of credit for AP Biology, Chemistry, Physics 1, Human Geography, US History, Calculus AB and BC, and Writing. I've taken the whole gamut traditional pre-med courses in college, including two semesters of intro bio, general chem, ochem, physics, writing and a semester of biochem, calculus, stats. How many of these courses should be considered repeat? For example, since I took and was given six credits for AP biology, is every course I took through the biology department supposed to be marked repeat, including courses like genetics and microbiology? Just one semester of the intro course? Two semesters? I have no clue how to figure out how many of these courses to mark repeat.
  4. I took an 'AP Chemistry Lab' in high school at the same university I ended up going to college for. As it turns out, that chem lab was cross-listed with a class called Chem 1070 at the University, and I got a B+ in the class (it's on my college transcript). When I took Gen chem lab 1, Chem 1215, my university's registrar automatically considered it a repeat, and excluded the high school chem lab from my GPA. However, my transcript now has the phrase "repeated, exclude from GPA" under Chem 1070. I understand that Chem 1215 is the class that is technically been considered the repeat, but I'm confused about which class to designate as repeat in AMCAS. Should I put 1070 as the repeat because my transcript has "repeated" under that class, or should I put 1215 as a repeat because that class is the one that actually ended up being the repeat?
Any help would be appreciated. If you face any similar situations and took a certain approach, let me know. You can also point me to any pages in the coursework guide that I might have missed if there are answers there. Thank you so much!

I attended the AMCAS transcripts and coursework webinar and it left me more confused. If anyone has any insight into the best way to enter the following courses, AP credit etc, please let me know. I've looked through the coursework guide too, and can't find anything for these specific situations.

1. I took a yearlong course from Fall to Spring (my school is semester based). The course appears twice on my transcript, once each semester for 3.0 credits. The Spring entry does not say repeat or anything else, it's just the exact same course twice. Can I enter this as a 6.0 credit yearlong course with an A? I got an A both semesters.
  2. For AP courses, my school have me individual credit for each test I submitted, but didn't direct the credit towards anything. It's just stuff like 'AP Biology - 4 - 6.0 credits'. I know that, since my college gave me AP credit, I need to include all of these classes in the coursework section. However, I'm confused about whether I have to mark any courses as Repeat.
  3. To the above point, I took and was awarded various amounts of credit for AP Biology, Chemistry, Physics 1, Human Geography, US History, Calculus AB and BC, and Writing. I've taken the whole gamut traditional pre-med courses in college, including two semesters of intro bio, general chem, ochem, physics, writing and a semester of biochem, calculus, stats. How many of these courses should be considered repeat? For example, since I took and was given six credits for AP biology, is every course I took through the biology department supposed to be marked repeat, including courses like genetics and microbiology? Just one semester of the intro course? Two semesters? I have no clue how to figure out how many of these courses to mark repeat.
  4. I took an 'AP Chemistry Lab' in high school at the same university I ended up going to college for. As it turns out, that chem lab was cross-listed with a class called Chem 1070 at the University, and I got a B+ in the class (it's on my college transcript). When I took Gen chem lab 1, Chem 1215, my university's registrar automatically considered it a repeat, and excluded the high school chem lab from my GPA. However, my transcript now has the phrase "repeated, exclude from GPA" under Chem 1070. I understand that Chem 1215 is the class that is technically been considered the repeat, but I'm confused about which class to designate as repeat in AMCAS. Should I put 1070 as the repeat because my transcript has "repeated" under that class, or should I put 1215 as a repeat because that class is the one that actually ended up being the repeat?
Any help would be appreciated. If you face any similar situations and took a certain approach, let me know. You can also point me to any pages in the coursework guide that I might have missed if there are answers there. Thank you so much!
1. Enter the course exactly as it is on the transcript. You will make 2 entries for each semester at 3.0 credits each. Don't go combining classes.

2. Don't mark it as repeat, that is if you retook the same course again (ie redid Chem 101 in the spring after taking it for the first time in the fall). AP credit does not work like this in the manner you described. It seems like you just took the general credit to increase your class standing and possibly get a better registration time when you were a student.

3. See above.

4. They both get the repeat tag (see page 90).

1. Enter the course exactly as it is on the transcript. You will make 2 entries for each semester at 3.0 credits each. Don't go combining classes.

2. Don't mark it as repeat, that is if you retook the same course again (ie redid Chem 101 in the spring after taking it for the first time in the fall). AP credit does not work like this in the manner you described. It seems like you just took the general credit to increase your class standing and possibly get a better registration time when you were a student.

3. See above.

4. They both get the repeat tag (see page 90).
This is helpful!
Must to clarify then, I don't need to make any of the classes that are in the same subject areas as my AP tests as repeat?

When talking to an admissions counselor for a meeting, what are things to avoid talking to them about? I was thinking of setting up an appointment with an admissions counselor at a school I'm interested in applying ED to to talk about ED and how my chances are applying ED.

This is helpful!
Must to clarify then, I don't need to make any of the classes that are in the same subject areas as my AP tests as repeat?
Yes.

When talking to an admissions counselor for a meeting, what are things to avoid talking to them about? I was thinking of setting up an appointment with an admissions counselor at a school I'm interested in applying ED to to talk about ED and how my chances are applying ED.
Is there something you had in mind? If the meeting is about applying ED, you need to come away with a definitive answer about your competitiveness.

What are your cutoffs or averages for GPA and MCAT?

Yes.

Is there something you had in mind? If the meeting is about applying ED, you need to come away with a definitive answer about your competitiveness.
I want to get answers about how competitive am I for ED and, ideally, if I have a strong chance at an acceptance through ED. But idk how to ask that with the admissions counselor on phone call without coming off as needy or aggressive.

What are your cutoffs or averages for GPA and MCAT?
This school's ED cutoff is 3.7 cGPA and 509 MCAT. The school's median stats for in-state accepted students in the Regular Decision pool (cuz I'm in-state) are cGPA 3.85, sGPA 3.82, and MCAT 513. I'm cGPA 3.81, sGPA 3.84, and MCAT 513. They don't release the median stats for accepted students in the ED pool.

This school's ED cutoff is 3.7 cGPA and 509 MCAT. The school's median stats for in-state accepted students in the Regular Decision pool (cuz I'm in-state) are cGPA 3.85, sGPA 3.82, and MCAT 513. I'm cGPA 3.81, sGPA 3.84, and MCAT 513. They don't release the median stats for accepted students in the ED pool.
Good... don't ask the admissions recruiter to tell you this when you meet for ED. :) Find out what the acceptance rate for ED applicants is and the rate for RD admission for those not selected. Actual number of ED applications helps.

Good... don't ask the admissions recruiter to tell you this when you meet for ED. :) Find out what the acceptance rate for ED applicants is and the rate for RD admission for those not selected. Actual number of ED applications helps.
I phone called them about it 2-3 years ago and they said that they can't reveal the ED acceptance rate, I don't know if they recently changed stances about this if I were to call them now about it. I never asked them before about the acceptance rate for ED applicants deferred to RD. This past cycle, they only had 19 ED applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've watched the video and read the guide on AP credit, I know they suggest you divide by course but will put it in as a lump sum if you don't. Can I choose to put as a lump? I took my first AP courses in 2006...I really do not even know which courses I took and which of them I got credit for and trying to dig it up will be a semi-big pain in the butt (the college board has an email that no longer exists for me). I'm not trying to use any of it to meet requirements.

I've watched the video and read the guide on AP credit, I know they suggest you divide by course but will put it in as a lump sum if you don't. Can I choose to put as a lump? I took my first AP courses in 2006...I really do not even know which courses I took and which of them I got credit for and trying to dig it up will be a semi-big pain in the butt (the college board has an email that no longer exists for me). I'm not trying to use any of it to meet requirements.
How do they appear on your college transcript? If you asked for college credit for your AP courses back then, they will appear on it.
If you didn’t ever ask your college to award you credit for your AP courses, you don’t enter them on AMCAS

They did put it on my undergraduate transcript but as a lump sum. I was hoping to leave it exactly as it is on my transcript but they talk about dividing it.

They did put it on my undergraduate transcript but as a lump sum. I was hoping to leave it exactly as it is on my transcript but they talk about dividing it.
If you don’t need it for your pre- reqs don’t worry about it. If you do need these to cover your prereqs you will need to ask your registrar to break down the classes by subject area

I took a Continuing Education Unit (CEU) nursing assistant certification course at a Community College, and, according to the AMCAS Applicant Guide, this does not have to be included in my Course Work section.

However, the Community College where I took the CEUs is the same one where I took dual-enrollment classes in high school. On my official transcript from that community college, my nursing assistant CEU classes from 2020 are listed on the page before my dual-enrollment classes from 2018.

In this case, should I include the CEU courses on my AMCAS application?

If I did a post-bacc at the same institution as my undergrad, should I list my undergrad and post-bacc work altogether or as separate school entries under coursework on AMCAS? I have them listed as two separate entries due to a time gap between the two, and it gives me two separate transcript ID numbers, but my transcript has my undergrad and post-bacc grades together. Should I send a copy of my transcript for each ID number or can I just send one copy of my transcript to AMCAS and they will count it for both the undergrad and post-bacc transcript ID numbers?

After graduating with a bachelor's, I took classes at a community college. This community college does not offer an undergraduate degree (only an associate's). On AMCAS, it asks for program type for the community college: should it be Postbaccalaureate Undergraduate or Junior College?
I was confused because I attended the school after getting my bachelor's.

Hey!

Is it a bad idea to list a minor that I intend to declare but is not on my transcript? It is in psychology

After graduating with a bachelor's, I took classes at a community college. This community college does not offer an undergraduate degree (only an associate's). On AMCAS, it asks for program type for the community college: should it be Postbaccalaureate Undergraduate or Junior College?
I was confused because I attended the school after getting my bachelor's.
Postbacc since this occured after you earned your degree.

Does AMCAS meaningful activities in a different section like TMDSAS does it ? So for TMDSAS instead of adding more characters in the activity entry space it has a section right after all of the activities for most meaningful and it was barely any space with 500 characters so I was wondering how AMCAS does meaningful activities.

Does AMCAS meaningful activities in a different section like TMDSAS does it ? So for TMDSAS instead of adding more characters in the activity entry space it has a section right after all of the activities for most meaningful and it was barely any space with 500 characters so I was wondering how AMCAS does meaningful activities.
From page 53-54 of the applicant guide linked in the first post of this thread:

"You may identify up to three experiences you consider to be the most meaningful. This designation will allow you an additional 1,325 characters to explain why the experience(s) was particularly meaningful to you. When writing your summary, you may want to consider the transformative nature of the experience, the impact you made while engaging in the activity, and the personal growth you experienced as a result of your participation."

I do not know the layout TMDSAS has, but this marking also opens up a section right after instead of having it all in 1 entry space.

I am confused on how to properly enter my study abroad institution.

For my program, the instructions on AMCAS were:

Study Abroad Program Sponsored by an Organization Other Than a U.S. or Canadian Institution

In the Schools Attended section of your application, you will:
• List the U.S. or Canadian institution that has granted you credit for your study abroad course.
• List the study abroad organization.
• Select the state where your study abroad organization’s headquarters is located.
• Select Other Not Listed for the school name. Modify the school name to reflect the name of the organization and the country where you completed your study abroad (e.g., “CIEE Spain”).

Does this mean I still select "United States" as my country, rather than "Denmark" since I have to list the US state where the organization is headquartered? So for instance, I would enter:
State: Minnesota
School Name: DIS Denmark

Thanks for the help!

I am confused on how to properly enter my study abroad institution.

For my program, the instructions on AMCAS were:

Study Abroad Program Sponsored by an Organization Other Than a U.S. or Canadian Institution

In the Schools Attended section of your application, you will:
• List the U.S. or Canadian institution that has granted you credit for your study abroad course.
• List the study abroad organization.
• Select the state where your study abroad organization’s headquarters is located.
• Select Other Not Listed for the school name. Modify the school name to reflect the name of the organization and the country where you completed your study abroad (e.g., “CIEE Spain”).

Does this mean I still select "United States" as my country, rather than "Denmark" since I have to list the US state where the organization is headquartered? So for instance, I would enter:
State: Minnesota
School Name: DIS Denmark

Thanks for the help!
That sounds right to me.

Are applications reviewed and processed by AMCAS in the order they were submitted?

And at what time exactly tomorrow will AMCAS open for submission? Thanks

Hi, I’m hoping to receive some guidance regarding the “Other Impactful Experiences” section: I’m wondering if I should write about my childhood experience of moving around often while growing up? I lived in two different countries and moved every 3-4 years; so the section of the application asking for a “hometown” isn’t very representative of my upbringing. On the other hand, I feel like my experiences/takeaways may be better suited for secondary essays as it’s more of a discussion regarding cultural identity rather than a material disadvantage.

Hi, I’m hoping to receive some guidance regarding the “Other Impactful Experiences” section: I’m wondering if I should write about my childhood experience of moving around often while growing up? I lived in two different countries and moved every 3-4 years; so the section of the application asking for a “hometown” isn’t very representative of my upbringing. On the other hand, I feel like my experiences/takeaways may be better suited for secondary essays as it’s more of a discussion regarding cultural identity rather than a material disadvantage.
It does sound like it would be a better fit for secondaries.

How do I classify freshman writing intensive classes? I took two “college writing program” classes my freshman year (everyone has to) but it’s not necessary listed under the English department. Should I put “other” for the course classification section? Thanks!

How do I classify freshman writing intensive classes? I took two “college writing program” classes my freshman year (everyone has to) but it’s not necessary listed under the English department. Should I put “other” for the course classification section? Thanks!
Do your best interpretation based on the content of the course and/or what department your college put these courses under.

Has anyone else who submitted their application today noticed on the PDF printout that the order it shows coursework is a little funky? And also a different order from what the printout showed presubmission? It may be different for me as my coursework is from 3 institutions. Pre-submission, it showed my oldest institution's coursework first(One 3.2 semester followed by full second semester withdrawal for personal reasons), then my second and final undergraduate institution(which trended 3.55/3.85/3.9), then my graduate program(currently 4.0).

However, it now shows my graduate program first, then my second undergraduate institution with most recent work first, then my first undergrad institution last. I know they can obviously see year in school data but the way this is setup almost makes it look like a downward trend such that the coursework I least want adcoms to see/remember is at the bottom of the list rather than how I'd prefer the trend look with it at the beginning. Every verified application video on youtube(Dr. Gray etc) has shown the coursework list in chronological order from oldest to newest.

Apologies if this is a somewhat neurotic post but do you think this year they changed how coursework is shown or it's just something they do during the verification process that changes back to normal after verification?
Thanks.

Has anyone else who submitted their application today noticed on the PDF printout that the order it shows coursework is a little funky? And also a different order from what the printout showed presubmission? It may be different for me as my coursework is from 3 institutions. Pre-submission, it showed my oldest institution's coursework first(One 3.2 semester followed by full second semester withdrawal for personal reasons), then my second and final undergraduate institution(which trended 3.55/3.85/3.9), then my graduate program(currently 4.0).

However, it now shows my graduate program first, then my second undergraduate institution with most recent work first, then my first undergrad institution last. I know they can obviously see year in school data but the way this is setup almost makes it look like a downward trend such that the coursework I least want adcoms to see/remember is at the bottom of the list rather than how I'd prefer the trend look with it at the beginning. Every verified application video on youtube(Dr. Gray etc) has shown the coursework list in chronological order from oldest to newest.

Apologies if this is a somewhat neurotic post but do you think this year they changed how coursework is shown or it's just something they do during the verification process that changes back to normal after verification?
Thanks.
The grid will clearly show a trend once AMCAS verifies your app.

Thanks.
Chalk it up to IT fiddling. Things will work out at the back-end. Eventually. There's still time before transmission.

i submitted today and accidentally did not put an abbreviation in parentheses before i used it in my description. How bad is this going to look ughhhh

i submitted today and accidentally did not put an abbreviation in parentheses before i used it in my description. How bad is this going to look ughhhh
Relax, there is nothing you can do about it now, so I advise that you don't go looking through the locked aspects of you app with a fine tooth comb.

An abbreviation that isn't spelled out isn't the biggest mistake in the world, especially if it becomes evident what it is for in the description.

Hi, I just submitted my application but haven't received any emails from AMCAS (I was emailed when they got my transcript though). Is this normal? Thank you!

Hi, I just submitted my application but haven't received any emails from AMCAS (I was emailed when they got my transcript though). Is this normal? Thank you!
Yes, after you submit they will take some time to verify your application.
Check the AMCAS guide page 73 for how to monitor the status of your application
and page 94 for what the various "status" messages you will see in your portal mean.

Hi! I submitted my application yesterday and was verified. As I was going over it, I saw that for the SES Disadvantaged category, I was designated as "Yes, EO1." I can see how this would apply to my mother since she only has an Associate's degree, but I listed my father as having a doctorate and occupation "Other/Actuary" so I assumed I would not be considered SES disadvantaged. The AMCAS SES Indicator information online for 2022-2023 states they make the categorization based on the parent with the highest level of education/occupation, but, when I called AMCAS, the woman said it takes into consideration both parents and is up to interpretation for each medical school. I don't think the woman knew much about it and wasn't able to offer much on if it needed a correction. Does anyone know if this is a mistake? Or would medical schools look poorly upon it since I'm not actually SES disadvantaged (and that's clear from the other background info available on my app)? Thank you!

Last edited:
Is verification going faster this year ?
It is likely too early to reach any conclusions considering today is the 2nd day. You can refer to the link in item 9 of the first post of this thread later on and compare it to what the AMCAS site reports regarding which apps they are marking as verified this year.

Hi! I submitted my application yesterday and was verified. As I was going over it, I saw that for the SES Disadvantaged category, I was designated as "Yes, EO1." I can see how this would apply to my mother since she only has an Associate's degree, but I listed my father as having a doctorate and occupation "Other/Actuary" so I assumed I would not be considered SES disadvantaged. The AMCAS SES Indicator information online for 2022-2023 states they make the categorization based on the parent with the highest level of education/occupation, but, when I called AMCAS, the woman said it takes into consideration both parents and is up to interpretation for each medical school. I don't think the woman knew much about it and wasn't able to offer much on if it needed a correction. Does anyone know if this is a mistake? Or would medical schools look poorly upon it since I'm not actually SES disadvantaged (and that's clear from the other background info available on my app)? Thank you!
You could try calling again and seeing if you get somebody else. The issue might be that there is a bug for "Other/Actuary" and the system defaulted to using your mother's information. You are not the one marking it as EO1, so schools would not blame you anyway if you want to save your time on the phone.

I am Submitting my application today, do i need to choose all my school list while submitting or i can choose some now and later remaining. Is that ok?

Couple questions regarding a school I attended my freshman year before I transferred.

1. I received AP credit from the first school for AP Chem and another class which I believe was AP Lang but I'm not sure. My school I transferred to granted me 10 credits for the AP chem course. Based on my understanding, I report the AP Chem course from my second institution because they gave me the most credits. However, the school never gave me credits for the second AP class unlike my first school I attended. So do I report the "AP HUM XXX Humanities Elective" course under my first institution?
AP.png

@chilly_md any input? Thanks

Last edited:
My second question is regarding the major. I have attached another screenshot of what shows on my official transcript. This was the school I attended for one year before I transferred. Should I put undeclared or "none" for the major or put down chemistry as my major. Thank you!
Major.png

Another question regarding AP Exam credit. Since I had AP Chem credit granted at two institutions, I will list it under the institution wherre I received 10 credits, not 4. Do I still list it as Freshman year? The applicant guide says "Once your undergraduate Year in School (FR, SO, JR, SR) has advanced, do not assign the previous status; continue to enter your completed coursework from that point." I started at the institution that granted the most credit in my sophomore year.

Should I list the AP Chem credit under freshman year still right even though I started there sophomore year?