*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

Started by CougarMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So last semester I was elected to a leadership position in a particular org however due to extenuating circumstances I may or may not be able to fulfill the position. I just recently found this out and am waiting to hear for certain but it may not be for a couple of months until I know for sure.

I would just not include it however I am kinda low on leadership experience so it would be nice to write.

Thoughts?

Include in app or not?
 
So last semester I was elected to a leadership position in a particular org however due to extenuating circumstances I may or may not be able to fulfill the position. I just recently found this out and am waiting to hear for certain but it may not be for a couple of months until I know for sure.

I would just not include it however I am kinda low on leadership experience so it would be nice to write.

Thoughts?

Include in app or not?

I personally wouldn't. You haven't really had experience with it, and including it on your application and then turning down the job would suck. Also, you might get asked about it, in which you would either tell them you're not doing it any more (which woudl raise a flag) or you would have to lie. Both aren't good.

I would say that you shouldn't include it, but if you do end up taking it, then just send an update letter to your schools notifying them.
 
I personally wouldn't. You haven't really had experience with it, and including it on your application and then turning down the job would suck. Also, you might get asked about it, in which you would either tell them you're not doing it any more (which woudl raise a flag) or you would have to lie. Both aren't good.

I would say that you shouldn't include it, but if you do end up taking it, then just send an update letter to your schools notifying them.

Thanks that makes sense so if I am able to do it can I just update my amcas when I find out or is there some other format for doing that?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks that makes sense so if I am able to do it can I just update my amcas when I find out or is there some other format for doing that?

You can't update your AMCAS once it has been submitted, save for a few sections, such as personal information. You can't change persona statement, experiences, things like that.

You would just type up a letter and mail or email it to the school's admissions office.
 
ok procedural verification question...

so my semester is over right now and i haven't gotten all my spring semester grades yet but have already submitted a transcript to AMCAS (which they said they received already) which only have my fall semester grades on there. i'll probably get all my spring grades on my transcript by june 2nd.

i plan on submitting my application june 1st to start the verification process. so i know that the med schools don't get the applications until june 17th so my question is: if i sent in a new updated transcript to AMCAS say june 3rd and they get it june 10th, will that delay my verification and cause my application not to be sent to the med schools in the first batch?

or will it not affect it? also, by submitting another transcript with more updated grades, would that be considered an update?

thanks in advance!
 
Can you submit your primary and have it verified before sending in recommendation letters? If so how late can the LORs be sent in by? I'm not exactly sure how this works...
 
Merging with AMCAS thread. I'll also add this question to the FAQ.
Searched all over the forums and didn't find the answer (only found stuff on how long it takes AMCAS to verify primaries, now how long it takes the average person to fill them out).

Has anyone started working on them years in advance? How long does it take usually (from what I've heard the PS is a killer).

idk if you're serious, but if anyone started preparing years ahead they most likely aren't meant for med school. The primary itself I would say takes anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months to complete. This is based ENTIRELY on how good of a writer you are, because the bulk of the work is in the personal statement.

Wow.....gunner alert

The PS is only a killer if you can't explain why you want to go into medicine. Which means that you shouldn't be going into medicine anyway.

So if you're a bad writer, you are at a serious disadvantage when applying?

Seeing as 100% of your communication before an interview is written, I'd say yes. But there's a major difference between writing poorly and being poor at writing quickly.

Took me like a week. But then again, I've been writing for years and I got an S on the writing sample. :meanie:

😱 geez. I did most of the primary in 2 days, wrote the PS in an afternoon :lame: plz don't start a year early. go have a drink or watch a movie or something

Took me a few months to think about it and write it all out. Did slightly better at the writing sample. It really depends on how you write for how long it takes. But it CERTAINLY doesn't take years. Few months of thinking about it tops. I tend to over plan for writing though... which is a curse.
 
Can you submit your primary and have it verified before sending in recommendation letters? If so how late can the LORs be sent in by? I'm not exactly sure how this works...

Yes. The LORs are only due by when you want your secondaries to be complete, AMCAS really doesn't care when you submit them. They are solely for your secondaries, and almost all secondaries won't consider your application complete until the required letters have been received.

The letters, schools, and contact sections are the only ones you can edit after submitting your primary, for the above purpose.
 
ok procedural verification question...

so my semester is over right now and i haven't gotten all my spring semester grades yet but have already submitted a transcript to AMCAS (which they said they received already) which only have my fall semester grades on there. i'll probably get all my spring grades on my transcript by june 2nd.

i plan on submitting my application june 1st to start the verification process. so i know that the med schools don't get the applications until june 17th so my question is: if i sent in a new updated transcript to AMCAS say june 3rd and they get it june 10th, will that delay my verification and cause my application not to be sent to the med schools in the first batch?

or will it not affect it? also, by submitting another transcript with more updated grades, would that be considered an update?

thanks in advance!

You wouldn't need to send in the new transcript unless you had submitted your spring grades as part of your application. If you did include your spring grades in your application, then the verification process cannot start until your latest transcript is received.
 
You wouldn't need to send in the new transcript unless you had submitted your spring grades as part of your application. If you did include your spring grades in your application, then the verification process cannot start until your latest transcript is received.

but what if i submit it and there are no spring grades but i want my spring grades to be included later?
 
How do repeat courses average into the AMCAS application?

For example, if I got a C and then repeat and got an A in a 3 credit class, will the AMCAS average the grade as a B counting only 3 units or 6 units?
 
6 units. Both grades will show up and will be calculated into the final GPA.

So it will be equivalent to taking the class twice scoring a B both times.
 
I don't mean to hijack your thread but I also have a question pertaining to this.

I got two D's one in Math 130 (Trig.) and the other in Chem I.
I retook both classes and got an A in Trig and a B in Chem I. How would I average those two? I'm guessing that for Chem I it would be C but I'm not sure whether for Math 130 it would be a C or B. Oh and by the way, there's no "-"'s or "+"s in the CC I took them.
 
I don't mean to hijack your thread but I also have a question pertaining to this.

I got two D's one in Math 130 (Trig.) and the other in Chem I.
I retook both classes and got an A in Trig and a B in Chem I. How would I average those two? I'm guessing that for Chem I it would be C but I'm not sure whether for Math 130 it would be a C or B. Oh and by the way, there's no "-"'s or "+"s in the CC I took them.

D is a 1.0, A is a 4.0, average of the two will be a 2.5
D is a 1.0, B is a 3.0, average of the two will be a 2.0

Doesn't matter what letter grade it will be, it just gets factored into the total gpa.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Merging related threads
How do repeat courses average into the AMCAS application?

For example, if I got a C and then repeat and got an A in a 3 credit class, will the AMCAS average the grade as a B counting only 3 units or 6 units?

6 units. Both grades will show up and will be calculated into the final GPA.

So it will be equivalent to taking the class twice scoring a B both times.

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I also have a question pertaining to this.

I got two D's one in Math 130 (Trig.) and the other in Chem I.
I retook both classes and got an A in Trig and a B in Chem I. How would I average those two? I'm guessing that for Chem I it would be C but I'm not sure whether for Math 130 it would be a C or B. Oh and by the way, there's no "-"'s or "+"s in the CC I took them.

D is a 1.0, A is a 4.0, average of the two will be a 2.5
D is a 1.0, B is a 3.0, average of the two will be a 2.0

Doesn't matter what letter grade it will be, it just gets factored into the total gpa.
 
I just started a 1 year Master's program, and I won't be receiving any grades until mid-July. I wanted to submit my application early June. Do I still have to put on my application that I am currently taking courses at this graduate school? I was concerned because would that require for me to send a transcript (which seems pointless since there aren't any grades to send yet)? Thanks for anyone's response!
 
I just started a 1 year Master's program, and I won't be receiving any grades until mid-July. I wanted to submit my application early June. Do I still have to put on my application that I am currently taking courses at this graduate school? I was concerned because would that require for me to send a transcript (which seems pointless since there aren't any grades to send yet)? Thanks for anyone's response!

Yes. With respect to needing to send a transcript, you could request an exception for this school with the rationale of "current/future course work" and see if it is granted (page 28 of the instruction manual).
 
Sooo I had a question on two courses I took.

The first one was a Biology course focusing on writing, and all we did was read primary literature and write papers. I literally learned nothing about biology, and the course description reflects that. I got a B in the class

The second one was an english class, but focused on evolution of behavior. If you look at the course description, it covers everything that would be covered in an evolution course, but just with a few papers. I got an A in that.

So lets say I filed the first class as english and the second class as bio, my science GPA would go up almost .1, which I really need. Do you think AMCAS is likely to approve this? Even if the bio course stayed bio and the english course counted as science, my sgpa would still go up .05. Thoughts?
 
This thread is the current version. The thread you posted in was for the 2011 matriculants, so last year's application cycle. I realize that the thread title was probably a little confusing

Ah ic, thanks, I will delete the post in the other thread. Here is what I posted.

This summer I tutored my cousin in Organic Chemistry for free. She went from an F to a C+... As she is my cousin, I have no idea how to write it in the description. Do I leave that out or should I be as specific as possible?

I would probably leave this out...

I would leave it out as well. You only tutored one person. It'd be a little different if you tutored several people.

Question:
While searching this is the closest thing I could find with my situation.
How about if you spend the majority of your time baby-sitting for months?

I noticed that some [optional] secondaries will require me to explain what I have been doing since graduation - refer to them as 'gap' prompts. But how about the schools that lack this prompt?

Here is how it goes.
- stayed near my college after graduation and worked till august.
My sister (incoming freshman) left home so I had to get back and take care of the 8 month old of the house.
- have been using that time to watch him full time, volunteering, shadowing a little, studying for the mcat.
- had him pretty much every weekday morning to night - had some weekends off though.

So should this be included? If so, how?

If not, where/how can I let med schools without 'gap' prompts know?

- Smokey
 
Last edited:
Listing classes:
OK, so from my previous question, I gather we list aaalllll classes, even "research hours" etc.

New question:
1) there is a box that says "exempt" so for those classes we tested out of and got no grade, no credit, just exemption, should we list these then check "exempt" i assume?



Ok dumb question (and yes I searched SDN and re-read the AMCAS manual before posting this), do exempt courses include any class in which we received ZERO credit?

There are a couple of seminar courses that I was required to sign up for. I received a letter grade (A) or a CR, but it's listed at 0.00 credits.

Part of me wants to just manually punch in 0.00 credits so I don't have that annoying red warning at the top of my courses listed page and the other part of me wants to click the exempt button.


/craycray
 
Ok dumb question (and yes I searched SDN and re-read the AMCAS manual before posting this), do exempt courses include any class in which we received ZERO credit?

There are a couple of seminar courses that I was required to sign up for. I received a letter grade (A) or a CR, but it's listed at 0.00 credits.

Part of me wants to just manually punch in 0.00 credits so I don't have that annoying red warning at the top of my courses listed page and the other part of me wants to click the exempt button.


/craycray

I think entering in 0 credits is the more accurate option.
 
i have some questions related to AP-coursework:

1) I enter them as FIRST semester FRESHMAN year, correct?
2) I'm not putting in a "Course No." but a "Course Name" that appears on my transcript?
3) The credits are weird, decimal numbers (like 5.3). I enter those exactly as on my transcript?
4) I don't provide a letter grade?

5) there is Calc AB AP and Cal AB subset listed on my transcript but it says 0 credits for both. Should I still list them?
 
i have some questions related to AP-coursework:

1) I enter them as FIRST semester FRESHMAN year, correct?
2) I'm not putting in a "Course No." but a "Course Name" that appears on my transcript?
3) The credits are weird, decimal numbers (like 5.3). I enter those exactly as on my transcript?
4) I don't provide a letter grade?

5) there is Calc AB AP and Cal AB subset listed on my transcript but it says 0 credits for both. Should I still list them?

1) Yes, if that is the term under which your credits were granted.
2) Yes, if that is what appears on your transcript.
3) Yes.
4) If no grade is on the transcript, you don't enter it.
5) If in doubt, I would always err on the side of inclusion rather than omission. I don't know how applicable this guidance is from the instruction manual (page 41) to your situation but perhaps it might help you nonetheless:

If AP credits appear in one block on the transcript, distribute the credit equally among the AP exams taken.

For example, University of Southern California awards 9 credits for 3 AP exams. On the official transcript this credit appears as 9 credits for AP exams, with no indication of what each exam was. On the AMCAS application, enter each exam as an individual course and distribute the credit appropriately (3 credits per exam), not to exceed the total amount of credits earned.
i have some courses on my transcript that are 0 credits like lab recitation and calc problem sessions. those were given grades either. need to list?

I would still list them. See (5). There's nothing in the instruction manual that I can find that ever recommends excluding a line item completely.
 
So my degree if from the engineering department and hence pretty much a 5 year degree. On transcripts the grades are listed by your year in school. In my case this means 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th years. On entering the grades into AMCAS it does not have space for anything after 4th year, I assume entering my 5th year grades (and maybe 6th for anyone who really dragged their feet) into the 4th year section is the correct thing to do? The postbacc section seems def not correct.
 
Yes, it looks like 4th year is the best thing to do. In AMCAS, as long as you haven't received your degree, the table ADCOM members will see will have your grades from years 4, 5, etc. combined in year 4. As soon as you get a degree, any further coursework is combined into a 5th line.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
this may be a really dumb question but i can't seem to find the part on the app where it asks for Childhood Biography and Parents' Biography!!?!?
where did those go?
 
Yes, it looks like 4th year is the best thing to do. In AMCAS, as long as you haven't received your degree, the table ADCOM members will see will have your grades from years 4, 5, etc. combined in year 4. As soon as you get a degree, any further coursework is combined into a 5th line.

Many thanks!
 
Um not sure if you are serious.... Did you type up a biography of your life?

The section on your childhood and parents is under "Biographic Information"

i thought the change for 2012 AMCAS was a section on writing up a personal biography and one for your parents....at least thats what someone told me...and its mentioned here as well: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=804620

am i just crazy or something?
 
i thought the change for 2012 AMCAS was a section on writing up a personal biography and one for your parents....at least thats what someone told me...and its mentioned here as well: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=804620

am i just crazy or something?

I don't have access to the 2012 application, but the instruction manual doesn't make mention of it. I seem to recall reading elsewhere in the forum that some of the changes mentioned in the thread you linked to didn't materialize. No doubt if that's incorrect, someone will pipe up and set the record straight.
 
I was wondering what you guys did with your transcripts. Regular mail? Or courier?

I called AMCAS inquiring their preference ... and the lady was very annoyed with me and said they will get the transcripts when they get it, and they don't know how long it takes because they're not the post office .... I'm afraid I have offended her :S

Anyways I'm not sure whether to use regular mail or not. Because courier will cost me $100 more and I'm not eligible for FAP. Will I be disadvantaged if I use regular mail? Do they need the transcripts by certain time to verify the primary?
 
I was wondering what you guys did with your transcripts. Regular mail? Or courier?

I called AMCAS inquiring their preference ... and the lady was very annoyed with me and said they will get the transcripts when they get it, and they don't know how long it takes because they're not the post office .... I'm afraid I have offended her :S

Anyways I'm not sure whether to use regular mail or not. Because courier will cost me $100 more and I'm not eligible for FAP. Will I be disadvantaged if I use regular mail? Do they need the transcripts by certain time to verify the primary?

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/deadlines/146904/what_is_a_transcript_deadline.html
 
bro... $100 to mail a transcript?

USPS is your friend. do NOT spend $100.

My registrar's office charged me $5. it got there just fine.
 
How about if you spend the majority of your time baby-sitting for months?

I noticed that some [optional] secondaries will require me to explain what I have been doing since graduation - refer to them as 'gap' prompts. But how about the schools that lack this prompt?

Here is how it goes.
- stayed near my college after graduation and worked till august.
My sister (incoming freshman) left home so I had to get back and take care of the 8 month old of the house.
- have been using that time to watch him full time, volunteering, shadowing a little, studying for the mcat.
- had him pretty much every weekday morning to night - had some weekends off though.

So should this be included somehow in my activities section? If so, how?

If not, where/how can I let med schools without 'gap' prompts know?

- Smokey[/QUOTE]


Thoughts?
 
Question:
While searching this is the closest thing I could find with my situation.
How about if you spend the majority of your time baby-sitting for months?

I noticed that some [optional] secondaries will require me to explain what I have been doing since graduation - refer to them as 'gap' prompts. But how about the schools that lack this prompt?

Here is how it goes.
- stayed near my college after graduation and worked till august.
My sister (incoming freshman) left home so I had to get back and take care of the 8 month old of the house.
- have been using that time to watch him full time, volunteering, shadowing a little, studying for the mcat.
- had him pretty much every weekday morning to night - had some weekends off though.

So should this be included? If so, how?

If not, where/how can I let med schools without 'gap' prompts know?

- Smokey

It's probably worth mentioning, if only to account for your time since graduation. Scrub the "Work and Activities" thread to see if there's anything else of help, and if not, repost your question there.
 
it's because I'm sending 3 separate transcripts from 3 universities (due to summer courses + studying abroad programs) ... and I'm sending them from Canada to US. That's why it's pricey.

I'm aware of the transcript deadline on the AMCAS FAQ website ... but how will AMCAS "verify" things when my transcripts didn't even arrive...?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
it's because I'm sending 3 separate transcripts from 3 universities (due to summer courses + studying abroad programs) ... and I'm sending them from Canada to US. That's why it's pricey.

I'm aware of the transcript deadline on the AMCAS FAQ website ... but how will AMCAS "verify" things when my transcripts didn't even arrive...?

The bolded below made it appear as if you weren't aware of the transcript deadline.

Will I be disadvantaged if I use regular mail? Do they need the transcripts by certain time to verify the primary?

Clearly if nothing arrives, nothing can be verified. Are you assuming that things sent by post aren't guaranteed to be delivered?
 
it's because I'm sending 3 separate transcripts from 3 universities (due to summer courses + studying abroad programs) ... and I'm sending them from Canada to US. That's why it's pricey.

I'm aware of the transcript deadline on the AMCAS FAQ website ... but how will AMCAS "verify" things when my transcripts didn't even arrive...?

damn, and I was unhappy with my old school requiring 14 bucks to send my transcripts. Hope it works out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.