*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CougarMD

Come up screaming
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is that time of year again :eek:

The AMCAS Application will be opening SOON! This is a place for all things AMCAS related so that we don't flood the first page. All threads created after this one will be merged into this thread. All previously created threads that are bumped will be re-directed here, and closed if bumped again.

Reminder: Each thread has a search function!! PLEASE use it!!.

Also, one of your first resources should be the source itself. The AMCAS FAQ can be found here.

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Helpful Links:
Official LOR Questions Thread

Official Personal Statement Reader Thread

Last Year's AMCAS Verification Thread (Helps you see how long it takes to get verified at various times of the year)

Last Year's Applicant Sticky

AMCAS FAQ

General Submission/Big Picture Questions
1. When does AMCAS open? How soon can I submit?
The AMCAS application opens around May 5th. You can submit on or around June 1st.

2. When can I start uploading my transcripts to AMCAS?
As soon as the application opens, on May 5th.

3. How should I organize my information in the Work and Activities Section?
The Pre-Allo staff is working on a new thread for that compiles some of the best bits of information and contains a FAQ. That thread can be found here. Please post questions regarding this section into this thread. The old thread for that lives here.

4. What about Letters of Rec?
Funny you should ask. There is a thread for that too.

5. What should I include in my personal statement?
Wouldn't you know....there is a thread for that too;) Check out the Official Personal Statement Reader Thread for some great advice.

6. How is AMCAS different this year?
See these threads for more information : http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=804620 and http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=807218

7. What is all of this about being a reapplicant?
Once you have submitted an AMCAS application and are verified, you will be considered a re-applicant the following year. Even though you may not be a re-applicant at a particular school, the AMCAS application will reflect that you have "previously applied to medical school" in that you have had a verified application from a previous year. Every school you apply to will be able to see this, regardless of whether you applied to that particular school before or not.

8. What parts of the AMCAS application can I change after submitting? If I change these things, will I have to wait longer?
You can add and assign LORs (Letters of Recommendation)
You can change your name, current address, and alternate names
You can add a future MCAT test date

Several other things that can be found here on the AMCAS official site.
No, you will not have to wait longer once you re-submit.

9. How long does it take to get verified after submitting?

It varies. Generally, the later you submit, the longer it takes. You can look at last year's verification times here.

10. When do secondaries come out?

This varies from school to school. If you are interested in a particular school, your best bet is to check out that school's specific thread in the "School Specific Discussions" forum.

11. What are some important dates that I should know?

May 5
2012 AMCAS application opens
June 1
Applications may be submitted
June 17
Data transferred to medical schools
August 1
EDP Deadline (app & transcripts)

Transcript/Coursework Questions
12. What about transcripts in general? Tell me everything!
Once the AMCAS application opens in May, you will be given an AMCAS ID number. You are also then able to add schools (and the dates you attended those schools) into AMCAS. When you do this, you will be able to print a transcript sheet that contains your AMCAS ID number on it for each school. When you go to order your transcripts, have your school include this sheet with the transcripts to be sent.
12a. I know this was asked in question 3 above....but do I really really really have to include every transcript?
Yes, you MUST include transcripts from all colleges you have ever attended. You cannot send the transcripts yourself (as in, getting a copy into your hands, and then sending it to AMCAS); they have to come from the school directly to be considered official.
12b. Do I have to include the AMCAS sheet when sending in my transcripts? What happens if I don't?
You should really include this sheet; giving AMCAS any chance to lose your transcripts is a bad idea. However, I can tell you from personal experience that one of the 8 transcripts I had to send was done online, and I was unable to include the sheet. I gave instructions for them to write my AMCAS ID on the envelope, and it got there fine. But again....making more work for AMCAS employees or giving them an excuse to lose your stuff is never a good idea.

13. What about in-progress courses, or courses I know I am going to take over the summer? What about Pre-reqs I am taking over the summer?
There is a chance for you to list all future courses on the AMCAS application. No, you can not update these grades later in AMCAS, but you CAN update individual schools later with these grades. This is actually a perfect opportunity for you to send an Update Letter to schools telling them again how much you love them, and telling them what you've been up to.

14. I took a class at a community college while I was in high school. Do I still need to report that transcript?
Yes. If you don't, you are risking being found out and having a school revoke an acceptance.

15. My spring grades don't come out until May/June/July/Whatever. Should I wait until I get them to submit my application?

If you decide you want to apply as early as possible, your spring grades would not be on your transcript. This is a judgement call. If your spring grades matter a LOT (they contain 3 prereqs, all As, and this is the first time you've taken a full load), wait until they come in before you send your transcripts in.

If not (they result in a minimal impact to your GPA, have only 1 prereq, and don't show anything special), go ahead and submit and plan to send updates to schools. Sending them some good grades is a good reason to contact them later if you've had a lot of silence from them. You are at a greater advantage being early than having more grades that will barely impact your GPA.
I would also suggest "rushing" transcripts whenever possible. The peace of mind is worth the extra money.
Also, keep in mind; you can submit without transcripts. The problem is that you will not be verified without them.

16. Does AMCAS begin verifying my coursework once they receive my transcripts?

No. AMCAS only verifies coursework once you submit your application. AMCAS will send you an email notifying you of the date they receive your transcript and the school that sent it, but that doesn't mean that your coursework is being verified.

17. Do I need to send in my transcript again, even if I sent it in last year?
Yes. See here https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi..._faqs-6.3.html

18. Will medical schools notice that a class included a lab?
In addition to selecting the "Combined Lecture and Lab" radio button, it is recommended that you add "and Lab" to the end of the course name. The 2012 AMCAS instruction manual says this:
If the lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, append the phrase "and Lab" to the exact course title as it appears on the official transcript. For example, if "General Chemistry II" appears on the official transcript and lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, enter "General Chemistry II and Lab" and indicate "Yes" in response to the question, "Did this course include a lab section?" AMCAS is not responsible for any processing delays or missed deadlines resulting from incorrect listings of course names and numbers.

19. I really think that this class I took should be considered BCPM, but I think AMCAS will change my classification because of the department it was taught in. What should I do?
You can feel free to classify it to the best of your ability. Keep in mind that AMCAS says "Each course must be assigned a course classification based strictly on the primary content of the course." AMCAS may or may not reclassify the course. Once your application is verified by AMCAS, you can look at your coursework and easily tell which classes they altered by using this guide https://www.aamc.org/students/applyi...hared_3.2.html
If you disagree with a change that AMCAS made, then submit an "Academic Change Request" form found on the Main Menu of your AMCAS application, but be prepared to back up your claim.

20. Help! What do I do with my AP classes?
Read through the AMCAS instruction manual, particularly page 41. For additional information on specific schools that accept AP credit, see this thread.

21. How do repeat courses average into the AMCAS application?
Both classes will need to be listed when you enter your information into AMCAS, and they will both be used when calculating your final GPA. If you want, you can this of this as "averaging" the grade, with the full amount of credit being equal to both classes together. Example: 3 units of C, class is retaken for 3 units of A. The final calculation would be 6 units of B.

This FAQ is a work in progress. Please feel free to make suggestions in this thread for its contents; both questions and answers.

This thread is brought to you by the volunteer Pre-Allopathic moderation staff.

Special Thanks to the following for their contributions to the FAQ:
mauberley
sector9

:luck:

Last edited:
I have a question about courses in progress. I was hoping to get my application in on June 1st because of my lower MCAT (30 O). My cGPA is 3.76 and my sGPA is 3.60. I am currently taking 2 science classes that are not pre-reqs at a community college. Right now, I am getting A's in both classes, which will change my cGPA to a 3.78 and my sGPA to a 3.66. Should I wait to apply until I can send transcripts from this school? I'm afraid I might get screened out with my lower sGPA and these 2 classes will be a little boost (I'm applying to a bunch of UC's even though it's probably a long shot), but I want to turn in my application as early as possible. I was told that transcripts won't be available until about the second week of June and then I would have to wait for it to get sent.

If I do send in the application without waiting for the transcript, would I just send the transcript to schools with my secondaries? Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about courses in progress. I was hoping to get my application in on June 1st because of my lower MCAT (30 O). My cGPA is 3.76 and my sGPA is 3.60. I am currently taking 2 science classes that are not pre-reqs at a community college. Right now, I am getting A's in both classes, which will change my cGPA to a 3.78 and my sGPA to a 3.66. Should I wait to apply until I can send transcripts from this school? I'm afraid I might get screened out with my lower sGPA (I'm applying to a bunch of UC's even though it's probably a long shot), but I want to turn in my application as early as possible. I was told that transcripts won't be available until about the second week of June and then I would have to wait for it to get sent. Thanks in advance!!

Normally, a 0.02/0.06 increase in GPA would not be worth the wait, but if the delay is only going to be two weeks then you'd be fine holding off until then.

Thanks!! If I decide to submit without waiting, how would I go about informing schools once I get the grades?

I was just wondering if people actually fill the 15 slots. I just find it hard to have about 15 in 4 years. Thanks.

Around how many would you say is competitive? Thanks

Think of the spaces as opportunities to demonstrate your interests. I used all 15 spaces but a couple of them were basically just hobbies/interests.

Lol at the notion that to be "competitive" you have to have x numbers of activities. Best of luck to you my friend.

No, I mean something that adcoms won't see as "too few." Anyway, nice stats. I just can't believe tha some of the top schools would reject you. Makes me wonder what they're looking for. But most of all it increases anxiety...

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the process exactly? We print out a form from AMCAS, send it to the registrar through the mail, and then the registrar sends our official transcripts by snail mail to AMCAS? Is there a way to do it online, either sending in the request form or having schools email or fax to AMCAS? Could I fax the form to registrars instead of going by mail?

I'm overseas and I'm worried about time of course. I need to get verified early bc of lower stats, etc.

Thanks!

What is the process exactly? We print out a form from AMCAS, send it to the registrar through the mail, and then the registrar sends our official transcripts by snail mail to AMCAS? Is there a way to do it online, either sending in the request form or having schools email or fax to AMCAS? Could I fax the form to registrars instead of going by mail?

I'm overseas and I'm worried about time of course. I need to get verified early bc of lower stats, etc.

Thanks!

Yes, that's the general process. Once you add schools to your AMCAS, it'll automatically generate a form you can print and take to your school's registrar, who will send the transcripts out.

Unless AMCAS has changed this as well, I believe you do need to have the transcripts sent by snail mail through your registrar's office. There isn't an option to upload online .. mainly (I'm assuming) because they want to be able to verify the authenticity.

As for getting your form to the registrar's, I believe that's mostly school-dependent. My school had an option to complete transcript stuff online (including attaching additional docs). Check your school's registrar's website to see if they'll let you

I have tried to find the application for FAP on AAMC website but I can't find it. Does anybody know where I can find it and fill it?

2vwus8o.png

this thread reminds me that I really need to get started with my FAP application

tumblr_l4doicHWaW1qzpudzo1_500.jpg

Last edited:
i just started calling it the "fee waiver" instead of FAP. :laugh:

But seriously, I just got all my...fee waiver...information turned in. Anyone have any idea how long it takes to get it verified/get the go ahead? I don't want to be waiting June first to submit but be held back by not knowing my...fee waiver...status. Thanks!

i just started calling it the "fee waiver" instead of FAP. :laugh:

But seriously, I just got all my...fee waiver...information turned in. Anyone have any idea how long it takes to get it verified/get the go ahead? I don't want to be waiting June first to submit but be held back by not knowing my...fee waiver...status. Thanks!
it was pretty quick for me, they received my papers on a Friday, and I was verified by Monday morning.

Can you get verified without your MCAT score? I believe verification only refers to grades, but mcat score is needed to be 'complete' with primaries.
Thank you!

I know you can list hobbies on your app., but what if you don't have a reference for the hobby? I've played basketball since I was 5, and I have awards for it through high school, but I don't play on a college team, just for fun. Would I still be able to include this on my app., and what would I list as the reference?

How does this work? So I know that AMCAS verifies your apps after you submit it. So after it gets verified do they go straight to the schools? I've been reading in some threads that AMCAS holds to submit your apps til end of June? I'm so confused.....:confused:

If you submit early June you will probably be verified around the end of June anyway. But yes, the release date for all verified applications in June is the 25th (or it was last year...it will be around then this year I'm sure). If you submit your application (or are verified) after that day your app will be sent directly to schools without any delay when it is verified.

If you submit early June you will probably be verified around the end of June anyway. But yes, the release date for all verified applications in June is the 25th (or it was last year...it will be around then this year I'm sure). If you submit your application (or are verified) after that day your app will be sent directly to schools without any delay when it is verified.

it's actually june 10 this year (surprisingly early), but otherwise this is spot on. plus most schools don't start sending out secondaries right when they get applications anyway.

http://prehealth.buffalo.edu/bullet...cation-service-amcas-preliminary-information/

Also note that because this is all electronic, I believe schools have to download all the applications, so the individual schools might not get it that day, but maybe a day or two later, depending on when they download the applications.

Not that it matters. The Admissions Office is too busy with the incoming class to really worry about the next cycle until July-August time frame.

June 10th? Man, that's early. I hate how they're switching up a bunch of stuff for this upcoming cycle. Why does our class always get screwed for these kinda stuff anyway? For college, it was the new SAT and now it's this :/

10. How long does it take to get verified after submitting?
It varies. Generally, the later you submit, the longer it takes. You can look at last year's verification times here.

I am debating whether I should wait till mid July for my MCAT scores to be released before I submit AMCAS application. How long do you think the verificatin process takes when submitting mid July? There are no examples of Mid July AMCAS submissions in "lasts years verification" thread.

If your labeled as a reapplicant on AMCAS (#8), but you haven't applied to a school before, are you still at a disadvantage?

June 10th? Man, that's early. I hate how they're switching up a bunch of stuff for this upcoming cycle. Why does our class always get screwed for these kinda stuff anyway? For college, it was the new SAT and now it's this :/

The new SAT started when I was a senior in high school (I took one of the last administrations of the old SAT early so I wouldn't have to bother), so you're at least a year removed from that unless you took a year off.

Oh, and the year I took the MCAT was the first year it was electronic. The year between my two applications is when they betaed the AMCAS letter service... I had to use Interfolio the first time I applied, and the second time I applied it was all electronic straight to AMCAS.

AND I'm in the first class at my school with a brand new curriculum, that's shortened 3 months from the year above us. Next year's class will have it easy compared to us.

So you're not screwed on everything.

If your labeled as a reapplicant on AMCAS (#8), but you haven't applied to a school before, are you still at a disadvantage?

I'm not sure how they've changed the application since I applied, but it's all subjective. If you apply to the same school twice with the exact same application, you'll clearly be at a disadvantage, because there was obviously something they didn't like the first time. If you've never applied before, then they don't know what your application looked like last time. But, you better have something different from your first application anyway (since you've had a whole extra year to gain experience).

FWIW... I applied and got accepted to a school that previously waitlisted me. I got an interview and rejected from a school that previously rejected me. I didn't get an interview from a school that previously waitlisted me. And I'm going to a school that I didn't apply to the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.